3It was OK
20.4%
2Disliked it
5.6%
1Hated it
2.6%
Average 4.0
626 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 4:59 AM

Nov 2011
This has somewhat of an awkward premise but mostly truthful to what it promoted. The main focus is Elise as she fights against fate, something that has been a trend in these type of shows in recent years.

Episode had a mixture of drama and lighthearted moments. Elise seems like a friendly person with a lot of potential.
Jan 10, 5:00 AM

Dec 2021
Who would've guessed that this season, we'd be treated to not one but two adaptations of Korean Manhwa.

Jihyun, an incredibly skilled surgeon, has spent her life trying to make up for past mistakes by saving others. However, her dreams take a twist when her plane crashes in the Pacific. When she wakes up, she's back in her earlier life as Elise de Clarence, a girl who didn't exactly make the best choices and met a tragic end. The new and improved Elise, armed with her medical knowledge, sets out to make things right in this second chance at life.

So she got transported to another world only to end up back in her original world from before the first transport? It's like a reverse isekai or something. But you know what, for a Korean Manhwa, it's way more interesting than most isekai stories we get every season. And that's crazy, considering that anime has overused this genre to shreds. At the end of the day, it's not just about fixing past mistakes; it's about becoming a better person so those mistakes don't happen again.

Not bad for a start. I'm on board with this.

Jan 10, 6:14 AM
Apr 2021
question is this multiple love interests? or does it focus on the main
Jan 10, 6:59 AM

Apr 2022
so she got isekai'd and then reverse isekai'd, am i getting that right? plane crash too instead of truck-kun. kinda interesting.
Jan 10, 7:19 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to SukunasRose
@SukunasRose
Jan 10, 7:26 AM

Mar 2021
This was really interesting and I think it will be a great show to watch
Jan 10, 7:45 AM

Jul 2015
It gave me serious vibes of that one Angel Beats episode. Definitely gonna watch this whole.

Jan 10, 8:02 AM
Sep 2015
It's good to see female medical doctor on screen.
For the record, Elise's original source was created before Tearmoon and 7th Loop's original source.
Jan 10, 9:17 AM
Jan 2024
it was refreshing didn't remember the first chapter but it was so refreshing seeing her going without the regret of not saving others
Jan 10, 9:21 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to SukunasRose
@SukunasRose
Jan 10, 9:31 AM

Nov 2016
Not the kind of first episode I would want to watch on a flight, but I like some Final Destination flavor instead of the same ol Truck-kun. Pretty cool twist that she got reverse isekai'd first, then isekai'd back to her former life, even tho that technically counts as reverse isekai as well in the truest sense of the word..anyway...nice to have a medic isekai with a likeable heroine. First episode was engaging enough, this is hopefully a keeper.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 9:35 AM
Apr 2021
it's on crunchyroll!!!
Jan 10, 9:36 AM

Apr 2022
that german was terrible lmao
Jan 10, 10:05 AM

Oct 2017
So she just went back and forth. Interesting though.
Jan 10, 10:09 AM
Apr 2022
Not sure how I feel actually, it's been a while since I read the webcomic, but this hasn't particularly felt like the same story so far. The art style is definitely different and the animation is good with scenes with blood and operating. First time I'm watching an anime like this even though I've read my fair share of "doctor isekai"s.
Jan 10, 10:31 AM
May 2023
just 12 episoded ? the webtoon has 143 chapters... 24 episodes minimum please 😁.
i'm so happy to watch Elise moving and be "alive". thank you for the idea of adaption.
Jan 10, 10:32 AM

Dec 2022
so this is a reverse isekai isekai dont overthink it
anyway at first i thought plane-kun couldnt finish the job but he did finish it just took some time
all jokes aside thats one heck of a way to die i dont care when i die i want to die like that just think about it what will be in the news A Docter single handedly rescued a lot of the injured passengers even performed a small makeshift surgery on deck unfortunetly she got isekaid
Jan 10, 10:41 AM
Jul 2016
We 👏 support 👏 women 👏 in STEM.

I don't know about the light novel, but in the manhwa, Elise just fucking dies in that plane crash lmao. She's not fucking doing surgery on the plane!

This is why they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first, before you help others! Literally and figuratively!

Anyway, wasn't there recently a plane crash in Japan? Kinda bad timing for plane crash isekai tbh.

Edit: I'm rereading the manhwa, it mentions Elise frequently drinking alcohol after surgeries. There are multiple times where Elise drinks alcohol. I wonder why the anime changed it to make Elise refuse alcohol.
erikkamirsJan 10, 12:57 PM
Jan 10, 10:48 AM

Oct 2019
I was wondering why this seems familiar, turn out it's from webtoon Doctor Elise I've read years ago. Lol
Jan 10, 10:51 AM

Feb 2019
Ishikawa Yui as a healer in a fantasy world.. Saint’s magic season 3?

Holy shit man, this is a really original set up. As soon as I saw the opening scene with them in an airplane and saw the fantasy tag I knew a plane crash was about to happen and assumed that would be how the main lead gets to the fantasy world. That in of itself would’ve been a change from the usual since it’s normally truck kun sending people to another world, but given it’s Korean I was just ready to praise it for being different.

But then we get thrown another curveball when we find out that the fantasy world is actually her original world.. so it’s a reverse reincarnation. Very interesting. Manwha adaptations are becoming the norm and that’s so good for this medium to get new takes like this

OP bangs, early 2000s vibes for sure

Loved the direction in this episode. Really good job of playing with viewer’s expectations and showing the MC’s life as both Elise and the doctor in our world. It wasn’t until the very end of the episode that I finally understood what world we’d be working in for the majority of this series.

The aftermath of that plane crash was brutal and seeing Aoi try and atone for her past life by saving the survivor was bittersweet.. we don’t really see characters mess up in one life and then get an opportunity to learn new things in another world and then go back to the original one. I’m really interested in seeing how this plays out.

Elise is so cute too!

Guess you can call this the first counter isekai I’ve seen?
Marinate1016Jan 10, 11:23 AM
Jan 10, 11:00 AM

May 2015
Quite a good start. I swear that plane sequence was an anime original as I dont remember that in the manhwa. Thought it was just plane crash then cut. But its been a while so might have forgotten it.

That last part had be tearing up a bit. Such a nice scene.

I knew I recognized the voice from somewhere but couldnt stick my finger on it until the very end when she said "I love you". Its Violet Evergarden.

Now I was trying to keep my expectations low since manhwa adaptations have so far not been the best but this first episode started it off quite well. Looking forward to more.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 10, 11:30 AM

Aug 2021
masterpiece begins
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 11:31 AM
Mar 2021
I’m a huge fan of Manhwa and read it way TOO MANY TIMES. I can confidently say that their extended version of Chapter 1 (Episode 1) enhanced the quality of plot and made easier to understand what is going on and why Elise is full of regrets about her first life. Moreover, she was a really good surgeon, it’s geeked that they highlighted this point.

It increases empathy and even though I read the manhwa countless times, I couldn’t stop my tears at the end!

Good job! I hope to see more manhwas animated!
Jan 10, 11:33 AM
Jan 2023
I think this anime deserves rating of at least 7.3 in mal the episode today was good too
Jan 10, 11:44 AM
Oct 2019
This is an average/normal anime, let's see how things go as a doctor in this world, maybe this will differentiate it from other standard isekais
Jan 10, 12:01 PM
Sep 2020
Reply to pansz
This is an average/normal anime, let's see how things go as a doctor in this world, maybe this will differentiate it from other standard isekais
@pansz She's been burnt at the stake as a Villianess,become a Dr in modern earth to atone for her sins and the plane-kuned back to her younger self in the original fantasy world. Exactly which part of that is "standard"?!
Jan 10, 12:21 PM

Jul 2021
A decent start:
- Interesting female lead, a surgeon whose purpose in life is to make up for her mistakes
- Always happy to hear Yui Ishikawa
- Art looks nice

A little worried:
- Female lead's personality feels a little bland at the moment
- "The doctor stuff"
I hope the medical side of things get some attention and care, as well as what the job actually entails. In this episode, a doctor telling people "I will save the patient" felt weird to me; it feels like an overly-romanticized idea of what a doctor is. I hope we don't see her just waving her hand and curing people, with everyone else being dumb admirers.
- Not the best production value
Jan 10, 12:21 PM

May 2015
Oh, I like the fact she isn't just invading someone else's body, but her own. This was pretty epic character growth, and an angsty plane crash with how she basically sacrificed herself. Interesting to see how it goes from there.
Jan 10, 12:32 PM

Nov 2013
so this is similar to the villainess stuff that i enjoy lol

after a life where she was mean to others, she got a second chance, this time in another world(?), where she learned all kinds of medical stuff and was the hero that everyone needed
the way she saved everyone in the place even tho she was hurt, that was so cool

now back at her 1st body, i'm sure she will be the best empress in the story of her country, one that helps everyone and not one that is a greedy bastard lol
for the 1st time (because a girl told her earlier), she decided to tell her family that she loves them, something that she would never have said in the past, that alone is quite the improvement

excited to see what she will do to help her country, and ofc, how she escaped her death this time, specially at the hands of the guy that she likes
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 10, 12:41 PM

Jan 2009
For the love of god :(

This is the second anime conversion within a day of a manga which I dearly love (the other show being Akuyaku Reijou Level 99) which has its first episode ruined _for no reason whatsoever_ by adding extra padding at the beginning which is going to be 100% irrelevant for the remainder of the show. Annoying manga fans like me to no end.

Is this the new trend? Instead of doing a proper conversion, having directors/scriptwriters go wild and waste a full episode? I'm serious, nothing except for the last 3 minutes will have ANY relevance for the rest of the show. So why? Why why why waste a precious full episode when there would be so much material to cover?

My suggestion: Forget episode 1 and start the show with episode 2.
Jan 10, 1:09 PM

Mar 2019
So I've read the manhwa and I'm not a big fan of it (YES YES EVERYONE LOVES IT BUT I DON'T). And I can already see the problems I had with it here.

First of all, they're making her out to be this Mary Sue character, which was one of the things I hated in the manhwa. As a doctor, she is not able to save every single patient. Saying "I promise I'll save you" over and over again is not only unrealistic but also idealistic and feels overly romantisiced. Also, the way she saved that guy on the plane, yeah, no way.
Second of all, I do like that we got to see more of her life in our world but at the same time it makes no sense cause it's gonna be absolutely irrelevant for the remainder of the show unless they change some major plotpoints

Third, and this is just a personal pet peeve as an airplane geek. Ain't no freaking way that airplane sequence was realistic. Not only is the first thing Captain is doing making the passengers panic, but there was a shudder and the oxygen masks came down?? Like there were no signs of depressurization at all. And are you telling me they lost all hydraulic power even before the explotion of the engine 1?? And it went down immediately? Not only that, if it did go down immediately, it hit the ground with very high speed and surely with fire in the engine the plane would have exploded upon impact but no, some survived with minor injuries cause the...wing with the engine on fire split off? Upon impact? Yeah, no freaking way. I just hate how this was added in the anime to showcase her abilites as a surgeon.
CallMeAiJan 10, 1:12 PM
Jan 10, 1:13 PM

Jul 2014
Did she really have to be the bestest super surgeon in all history? That may be less believable than the isekai part. Have to wait and see where this goes, but not really a great start.
Jan 10, 1:20 PM

Feb 2008
Reply to Sokah
Did she really have to be the bestest super surgeon in all history? That may be less believable than the isekai part. Have to wait and see where this goes, but not really a great start.
@Sokah

Agreed. Actually, I would've found the anime more compelling if she failed a few surgeries in the past. Maybe the experience tempered her vigilance in the OR. I couldn't finish the episode since I got bored of it. Maybe I'll try again later.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Jan 10, 1:23 PM
Aug 2022
I gotta say compared to most isekai I really liked how this first episode went, the main character actually was really emotional when being isekai’d each time unlike most isekai mc’s who just get isekai’d and just pretend they never had a family in there past life and move on,

I can tell the plot of this show is very similar to tearmoon empire, the spoiled girl is executed and then gets a second chance to better herself.

Great first episode this show has a lot of potential
Jan 10, 1:45 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to TemplarXIII
@Sokah

Agreed. Actually, I would've found the anime more compelling if she failed a few surgeries in the past. Maybe the experience tempered her vigilance in the OR. I couldn't finish the episode since I got bored of it. Maybe I'll try again later.
@TemplarXIII Having all these women gushing over how perfect she was is exactly what you see from woke Marvel "writers" doing self-inserts.

The food stuff is pretty typical filler by bad writers.

Sacrificing herself to save people's lives while bleeding out from a massive wound was really badly handled (impossible as shown) too.

But we'll see.
Jan 10, 1:58 PM

Feb 2008
Reply to Sokah
@TemplarXIII Having all these women gushing over how perfect she was is exactly what you see from woke Marvel "writers" doing self-inserts.

Sacrificing herself to save people's lives while bleeding out from a massive wound was really badly handled (impossible as shown) too.

But we'll see.
@Sokah

Yeah, the gushing was goofy too. My intuition is telling me it's going to turn out generic, but I will probably wait until this cour finishes airing to see.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Jan 10, 2:10 PM

Nov 2009
Remember reading this one a while ago and even left a note:

“Main character is a true Mary Sue with plot armor thicker than an elephants hide.”

Lets hope the anime fixes this. Episode 1 hasn't made me very hopeful so far.
Jan 10, 2:15 PM

Sep 2012
Reply to Sokah

But we'll see.
Sokah said:

That's a pretty good way to describe it.
Unless my memory is failing me, I don't remember most of the modern-day scenes this episode, majority of it is probably anime-original. I was trying to convince myself to be glad they added new scenes to flesh things out, but not like this... It just blemished the story from the very start with this weird wish-fulfilling fantasy vibe which didn't have to be there.

I'm hoping they stick to the source material properly from the next episode onwards. So much of this was anime-original that it feels like an episode 0 prequel. I've waited so impatiently for this show to start airing, and yet it feels like the adaptation hasn't even actually begun yet.
koagzeroJan 10, 2:19 PM
Jan 10, 2:35 PM
Apr 2023
That was a hardcore opening with the plane crash 😬 and then surprising/cool/poignant that she saved people (but then couldn't save herself).

Was kind of hoping it would be a premise where she's reincarnated in the same (Medieval/nobility) world, but this time after her family are executed and she then gets to attone for mistakes she made in her first life there, but re-living the same like (similarly to lots of the other Villainess animes) is cool too.
Jan 10, 2:53 PM
Oct 2010
I could nitpick all sorts of things here but it started out on a fresh note, the nightmare scenario of a flight gone horribly wrong, but then they had to go back and 'flesh it out' with everyone fawning over her like the second coming of Surgeon Christ and the tone just crashed harder than that plane.
Jan 10, 2:56 PM

Sep 2018
Hmm, this seems to be taking itself way to seriously.

If it doesn't lighten up it's going to be a very pretentious slog of a show.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 10, 4:08 PM

May 2023
Alot of people still think adaptation means a complete copy of the original source. IMO. . . .I think that's kinda wrong, not everything should be according to the original material cuz most scene aren't shown or even told in the original material unless its from light novel which can be described in words.

From Korean names to Japanese names, thats quite interesting to see. I've only watched the recap not read the manhwa.
this anime does show her 2nd life in modern life, in manhwa its only shown as flash back. Looking forward for more episodes.

IRL most doctors will tell their patients that they will be saved, but in reality, its neither possible nor impossible. they only say this just to give hope to the patient and that they can fight throu it.

Was kind of hoping it would be a premise where she's reincarnated in the same (Medieval/nobility) world,

its more between medieval and WW1 time line.

Real Life reference: the term Lady with a Lamp is a reference in iRL to a person name Florence Nightingale (1810 - 1910).
"was a legend in her own lifetime and one of the most famous women in British history. Her work in the Crimea set the standards for modern nursing.
For the rest of her life, she continued to campaign for improved sanitary conditions in both military and civilian hospitals."
Jan 10, 4:23 PM
Feb 2021
I really never though it would be plane crashed, and I never think that she still desperated to safe all the passenger life!
Jan 10, 4:44 PM
May 2017
Reply to Sokah

But we'll see.
@Sokah I can tell by my own experience a person does amazing things with adrenaline running through the blood. Trust her, she's a doctor.
leonardobarbaJan 10, 4:51 PM
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 10, 5:02 PM
May 2017
Very good beginning episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 10, 6:16 PM

Sep 2007
I have mixed feelings with Isekai then being Reverse Isekai'd premise but....at least this is way better than that one anime they had a while back where there was also a dude/hero that was also Isekai'd then Reverse Isekai'd only to have everyone else still realize it was him (can't recall the name of the anime at the moment but I digress...)

My only gripe about this first episode is that I personally think it went WAY too much detail into the "surgeon" life she had in my opinion.

Examples:
She has bad handwriting, is that important? Who cares?
Did we really have to see her trying to save the other passengers after the actual crash? IMO No and I feel like it's totally unrealistic that people even survived seeing how mangled the plane came out (not that I'd want to argue the physics of that with someone but whatever)

TLDR: I think this "bit" could've been covered in half the time it took but for now I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt that the next episode has something that "can't be broken up" and the "extra padding" was necessary in lieu of a more awkward cliffhanger.

(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jan 10, 6:32 PM

Sep 2011
What a terrible first episode. I don't care how skilled you are, people are not gushing in the street over a surgeon. Also they should've just had the crash kill her. It was really dumb as a doctor to not attempt to treat your own injuries first to make sure you can help as many others as possible
Jan 10, 6:46 PM
Dec 2022
getting isekaied by Plane kun while on first class ?
thats the fanciest isekai in anime ever

Watching this anime because of Ishikawa Yui, also the interesting reverse isekai plot
Jan 10, 7:05 PM

Mar 2008
Not familiar with the manhwa so I dont have to compare it to anything. I enjoy the premise and the serious vibe where you can feel the desperation of Elise in saving people.

That guy that was just cut into on the plane is going to need so much antibiotics.
Jan 10, 7:07 PM

May 2023
Reply to leonardobarba
@Sokah I can tell by my own experience a person does amazing things with adrenaline running through the blood. Trust her, she's a doctor.
@leonardobarba quite true, even in a battlefield a medics job is to patch up the wounded regardless of their own safety. there was one movie that was also based on WWII which a lone medic saved every injured soldier in the battlefield.

every anime has that scene, even high school anime. lets say Highschool DxD for example the main female lead has alot of female and male fans gushing over her beauty and skills.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

56 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 7, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20

46 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 7, 12:48 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13

37 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 7, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 6

36 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 7, 12:01 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 28

34 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 6, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.