Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2023 10:54 PM

Sep 2019
What do you guys think? The JP community complained big time about it iirc. So will they change things to suit their taste or not?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 16, 2023 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
From the trailer, yes it looks like that will be the case.
Dec 16, 2023 11:03 PM

Jan 2019
yeah man they hated this in japan!! (they loved it and listening to twitter is braindead)
Dec 16, 2023 11:07 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to removed-user
From the trailer, yes it looks like that will be the case.
@StudentOfTheGame It was basically just animated manga panels for a teaser, it doesn't say anything about what the movie will be like...
Dec 16, 2023 11:08 PM
Aug 2022
Yeah, Some people were complaining about the cinematic-like art style for Chainsaw Man.

The director is probably changed.
Dec 16, 2023 11:13 PM

Sep 2019
Reply to Shenhe
yeah man they hated this in japan!! (they loved it and listening to twitter is braindead)
@Shenhe No? They had a feud with the director and protested by not purchasing BD/DVDs. As a result it had very less BD sales. It was cause of the art/animation direction iirc. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Dec 16, 2023 11:13 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to ArimaKana
@Shenhe No? They had a feud with the director and protested by not purchasing BD/DVDs. As a result it had very less BD sales. It was cause of the art/animation direction iirc. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
@ArimaKana corrected you're wrong. anything else?
Dec 16, 2023 11:16 PM

Nov 2021
Reze's ass in theaters
Dec 16, 2023 11:17 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to ArimaKana
@ArimaKana I heard the biggest backlash came from otaku folks who were upset after hearing that the director wanted to make something less anime-like, but rather to make an animated spectacle offering more movie-like experience instead. Was it the main reason, or the actual one of real reasons? I don't know, but for sure something enraged otaku part of the anime enjoyers in Japan to the point of seething on the Internet and boycotting the merch (including BD and DVD releases). And we know that otaku like to spend a lot on shows they like, so their lack of sympathy for the CSM anime surely must've affected the sales of everything connected to the anime adaptation of Chainsaw Man that could be sold.

I don't count here some vocal groups of Western fans raging about the anime. A lot of them that I encountered myself were just angry teens who wouldn't buy anything anyway. Heck, a lot of 'em bragged about not watching the anime on official streaming services, so well... Their complaints, from the business' point of view, meant almost nothing.
AdnashDec 16, 2023 11:22 PM
Dec 16, 2023 11:19 PM

Oct 2013
Looks like, given the drama stirred mostly by otaku in Japan, the director will be changed. How about the rest of the crew? Time will tell, but I can imagine people who shared the first season's director's vision on adapting CSM in animated format getting fired.
Dec 16, 2023 11:21 PM
Oct 2020
If it’s not the same director then we will not be watching
Dec 16, 2023 11:24 PM

Nov 2013
Hopefully the direction stays the same, it really fit Chainsaw Man.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 16, 2023 11:26 PM

Apr 2022
i really hope they don't change it, s1 looked amazing. even if they do change it though, i will be there no matter what.
Dec 16, 2023 11:46 PM

Nov 2011
The cinematography of Chainsaw Man was imho its biggest strength. Sad that the show received backlash because of that.
Dec 16, 2023 11:49 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to Adnash
Looks like, given the drama stirred mostly by otaku in Japan, the director will be changed. How about the rest of the crew? Time will tell, but I can imagine people who shared the first season's director's vision on adapting CSM in animated format getting fired.
@Adnash spread that misinformation queen!!! 💯💅

Dec 16, 2023 11:57 PM

Jan 2009
the pv has new visual style so new staff coming
Dec 16, 2023 11:57 PM

Jun 2014
People will bitch about it regardless of what they do. If they keep the same director and style of S1, people who didn't like that will bitch. If the director, and by extension, the presentation of the movie, is changed, people who preferred S1's look will bitch. It'll be like JJK S2, where you have some people who believe its change in artstyle/animation is superior to S1 while some people prefer S1 over S2.

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 17, 2023 12:07 AM

Jan 2019
Could he be the new director? His recent project was delayed and lots of people are saying it could be due to scheduling issues with reze-hen...
Dec 17, 2023 12:19 AM

Feb 2022
The art style for S1 looked good, but the direction was suboptimal and didn't fit the zany, hyperactive presentation of the source material because the only thing it had in common with CSM was that Fujimoto likes movies. Based on the new PV, the art is a downgrade yet still has the faded colors of S1. Hopefully new direction for the better + movie-level animation will more than make up for it, though.
Dec 17, 2023 12:27 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Shenhe
@Adnash spread that misinformation queen!!! 💯💅

@Shenhe Misinformation about many Japanese fans being angry about the director that could possibly lead to changing him, if his approach resulted in making a show less successful (even if still successful) than it could've been? Interesting. That was just a logical assumption - logical from the business' point of view and with including standards in the Japanese animation industry. I see no reason to treat it as misinformation, especially when I said "looks like" (suggestion) and added "given the backlash" (fact) later on.

What more revelations you have to offer, aside from corny memes and weird accusations? ;p
AdnashDec 17, 2023 12:30 AM
Dec 17, 2023 12:50 AM

Mar 2008
Looking at the PV it looks to me like a downgrade in how character faces are animated but i cant quite place my finger it, it isnt bad just something is different so it feels off. The colours look like similar scheme which is good.
traedDec 17, 2023 2:50 AM
Dec 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Oct 2017
Seems like it might change, either way I'm fine with it.
Dec 17, 2023 1:01 AM

Oct 2010
I hope they change nakayama, he simply is a bad director, he should retire and go sell potatoes. No, at second thought, selling potatoes is hard work, him selling it would be an insult to actual hard working potato sellers, nakayama should just become a NEET and leave us alone. Fuck him
Dec 17, 2023 1:02 AM

May 2009
Reply to abystoma2
@abystoma2 NOPE, and that director was fired. It won't have same direction as s1.
Dec 17, 2023 1:10 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to bastek66
@abystoma2 NOPE, and that director was fired. It won't have same direction as s1.
@bastek66 Apparently, according to @Shenhe, the director wasn't fired due to the reception of his approach to CSM, just replaced for whatever reason.

Surely connecting dots one to one and seeing by yourself how angry quite a lot of Japanese otaku folks were about CSM anime (the same people who buy the most anime merch, may I remind) shouldn't matter, because as all business scholars know, companies don't make anime to earn money, right? 🤡 (ye, I couldn't resist to fool around in a sarcastic manner)

I personally, I liked the old director's approach a lot. But I'm ready to see how the new one's gonna handle adapting this manga. Especially when such an awesome arc will be adapted in a movie format.
AdnashDec 17, 2023 1:15 AM
Dec 17, 2023 1:18 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Adnash
@bastek66 Apparently, according to @Shenhe, the director wasn't fired due to the reception of his approach to CSM, just replaced for whatever reason.

Surely connecting dots one to one and seeing by yourself how angry quite a lot of Japanese otaku folks were about CSM anime (the same people who buy the most anime merch, may I remind) shouldn't matter, because as all business scholars know, companies don't make anime to earn money, right? 🤡 (ye, I couldn't resist to fool around in a sarcastic manner)

I personally, I liked the old director's approach a lot. But I'm ready to see how the new one's gonna handle adapting this manga. Especially when such an awesome arc will be adapted in a movie format.
@Adnash more misinformation lol. Show proof that the director was fired.
Dec 17, 2023 1:30 AM

Aug 2020
it would be the biggest mistake... the man is a gem
Dec 17, 2023 1:32 AM
Jan 2021
Season 1 art direction wasn't bad infact I thought it was awesome but I still hope they atleast try to follow the manga's art style since fujimoto's art really elevated the story in so many levels.
Dec 17, 2023 1:32 AM
Jan 2018
Didn’t nakayama leave and make his own studio ?
Dec 17, 2023 1:49 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Mattinator95
Didn’t nakayama leave and make his own studio ?
@Mattinator95 Maybe you're thinking of Sunghoo Park and his studio E&H Production
Dec 17, 2023 1:57 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Shenhe
@Adnash more misinformation lol. Show proof that the director was fired.
@Shenhe Where did I write he was fired, though? I said it was a possibility, given the circumstances. What actually happened is known by MAPPA and the production committee. Sorry to inform you, but I'm not a member of either. What we know for sure is that Nakayama won't be a part of Reze-hen, so the next CSM anime project. The rest are nothing more than just theories, rumors. My words are equal in quality to yours, though now I have no idea what are you trying to convey about this situation. You've targeted me out of all folks posting in this thread and seem to have fun while trolling around with childish behavior and opinion bargain approach. I can't prove my opinion is better than yours, as much as you won't be able to prove that your opinion is better than mine. They are equal, at the end of the day, lol.

Anyway, you can clown around more if you want. Don't forget to reply and write "another misinformation" like a broken record, or whatever. I don't think I have anything more to add here. Have a nice day. ;-)
Dec 17, 2023 1:59 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to kebenaj
it would be the biggest mistake... the man is a gem
@kebenaj Agreed, but at the same time, business is usually ruthless. If the production committee saw his approach as something standing in a way of CSM anime's financial succes, then I can understand why they wouldn't want to continue cooperating with him on the next CSM project. It sucks, but that's life. CSM anime's financial success was, from what I read, quite big and satisfying, although not as big as estimated. That's enough to make the higher-ups rethink their strategy when it comes to dealing with future projects, I guess.
Dec 17, 2023 2:08 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Adnash
@Shenhe Where did I write he was fired, though? I said it was a possibility, given the circumstances. What actually happened is known by MAPPA and the production committee. Sorry to inform you, but I'm not a member of either. What we know for sure is that Nakayama won't be a part of Reze-hen, so the next CSM anime project. The rest are nothing more than just theories, rumors. My words are equal in quality to yours, though now I have no idea what are you trying to convey about this situation. You've targeted me out of all folks posting in this thread and seem to have fun while trolling around with childish behavior and opinion bargain approach. I can't prove my opinion is better than yours, as much as you won't be able to prove that your opinion is better than mine. They are equal, at the end of the day, lol.

Anyway, you can clown around more if you want. Don't forget to reply and write "another misinformation" like a broken record, or whatever. I don't think I have anything more to add here. Have a nice day. ;-)
@Adnash Yep I'm just a mean guy targeting you! sorry! (you tagged me giving me not one but two notifications to come back and respond to you here)

anyway, you posted more misinformation, please stop.

😈
ShenheDec 17, 2023 3:15 AM
Dec 17, 2023 2:38 AM

Oct 2022
I fucking hope not.

Can't really tell. Teaser is just animated manga panel. I would be disappointed if that was the actual visual (which is not). But I can see them changing. I personally want them keep the previous director. But I don't mind it if they can still keep that cinematic feeling and vibe.
Dec 17, 2023 2:46 AM

Nov 2020
Oh boy..

It will be JJK situation all over again

a lot of people will complaining about the change of art and animation style

Oct 2022
Reply to Angel_crush1
Season 1 art direction wasn't bad infact I thought it was awesome but I still hope they atleast try to follow the manga's art style since fujimoto's art really elevated the story in so many levels.
@Angel_crush1 I think it's the way how Fujimoto do manga panels and composition that make Manga great and not just his art style. His art are great don't get me wrong but I already think anime did a great job already in trying to have that feels of the manga.

Nov 2013
Reply to bastek66
@bastek66 With the situation MAPPA is currently in I'd say that anyone no longer in the company left rather then being fired.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 17, 2023 3:47 AM
Aug 2016
The new teaser trailer seems to use Kagenashi animation style, so there might be considerable changes to the animation style and art direction.
Dec 17, 2023 4:41 AM
作画

Nov 2019
oh yeah they're giving this a new visual identity thankfully, can't believe CSM is becoming a good show
Dec 17, 2023 8:13 AM
Sep 2020
They'll probably change it. Which is unfortunate because I liked the cinematic tone/style of the anime a lot.

I wasn't a huge fan of the beginning in the manga, but I felt like the anime elevated it.
Dec 17, 2023 8:27 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to thebrentinator24
People will bitch about it regardless of what they do. If they keep the same director and style of S1, people who didn't like that will bitch. If the director, and by extension, the presentation of the movie, is changed, people who preferred S1's look will bitch. It'll be like JJK S2, where you have some people who believe its change in artstyle/animation is superior to S1 while some people prefer S1 over S2.

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenarios.
@thebrentinator24 If it's MAPPA execs they'll likely change the director, I had the impression they were going to rely heavily on merch and the fact it barely sold any in Japan is why it took a whole year to get (not a new season but) a movie announced.

Personally I disliked the adaptation not because "it feels less anime-ish" but because it does so in a tryhard way while carrying animation that ranges from the best CGI anime ever made to completely mundane, I remember a lot of people back then comparing it to how Dorohedoro was adapted where the manga was filled with detailed art that made the 'filthy' stand out, I read a few chapters of CSM out of curiosity and I can totally see where they come from, Fujimoto's art style is great at showing-not-telling but the anime never carries that out nor the aforementioned 'filthy'.
Dec 17, 2023 8:29 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to traed
Looking at the PV it looks to me like a downgrade in how character faces are animated but i cant quite place my finger it, it isnt bad just something is different so it feels off. The colours look like similar scheme which is good.
@traed might be because the PV is basically manga panels with movement so it doesn't show anything of the anime itself, so we can't even tell if it'll be CG - which would be funny since if anything the PV implies otherwise.
Dec 17, 2023 9:53 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to omnislack
The cinematography of Chainsaw Man was imho its biggest strength. Sad that the show received backlash because of that.
@omnislack It was such a breath of fresh air, crazy that people disliked it.
Dec 17, 2023 12:05 PM
Jun 2016
Reply to Catalano
I hope they change nakayama, he simply is a bad director, he should retire and go sell potatoes. No, at second thought, selling potatoes is hard work, him selling it would be an insult to actual hard working potato sellers, nakayama should just become a NEET and leave us alone. Fuck him
@Catalano agree lmao
Dec 17, 2023 12:22 PM
Aug 2021
This manga and anime trash pseudo intellectual shit so idk why a director would change this slop to be less sloppy. Watch good anime like ashita no joe that doesn't use fancy cinematography and actual animation.
Dec 17, 2023 1:41 PM
Feb 2023
abystoma2 said:

No… because that was way too serious for its own good. CSM shouldn’t be taken seriously tbh and if you want that, tough luck but respect the theme of manga
Dec 17, 2023 1:41 PM
Feb 2023
Shenhe said:

Well you just spreaded more misinformation than anyone LOL
Dec 17, 2023 1:43 PM
Feb 2023
infamousHeroic said:
@thebrentinator24 If it's MAPPA execs they'll likely change the director, I had the impression they were going to rely heavily on merch and the fact it barely sold any in Japan is why it took a whole year to get (not a new season but) a movie announced.

Personally I disliked the adaptation not because "it feels less anime-ish" but because it does so in a tryhard way while carrying animation that ranges from the best CGI anime ever made to completely mundane, I remember a lot of people back then comparing it to how Dorohedoro was adapted where the manga was filled with detailed art that made the 'filthy' stand out, I read a few chapters of CSM out of curiosity and I can totally see where they come from, Fujimoto's art style is great at showing-not-telling but the anime never carries that out nor the aforementioned 'filthy'.

Yeah the whole “way too serious” tone made the adaptation mehhh
Dec 17, 2023 1:58 PM
boop boop

Mar 2018
i do hope that the director comes back, but it probably won't be the case.
the artstyle does look different in the PV, but it mainly shows redrawn manga panels, so i wouldn't say the final product will look the same
死だけが確実
Dec 17, 2023 8:37 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to Confused_100
Shenhe said:

Well you just spreaded more misinformation than anyone LOL
@Confused_100 Elaborate on that for me will you?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Rezebros our time has come

mahrjose - Dec 20, 2023

18 by Dragevard »»
May 9, 12:40 PM

» New Trailer when?

KanjiWrld - Apr 13

2 by Ki11grave »»
May 4, 2:58 AM

» Expecting less and enjoying the chainsaw man movie is the best way not to feel disappointed.

DatajI - Jan 30

48 by Leon888 »»
Apr 9, 9:56 PM

» Possible Director/Directors predictions

XINE0717 - Mar 5

11 by HunterZ_PT »»
Apr 8, 1:13 PM

» Expected release date ?

Animeboy153 - Feb 13

25 by Sammstar »»
Mar 11, 8:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.