Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2007 10:30 AM

Mar 2007
This episode was very well done, it totally killed me :(

Was almost impossible to continue watching the series after that.
Mar 16, 2008 3:35 PM

Dec 2007
SAIIII TT______TT
May 3, 2009 10:52 PM

Mar 2009
He's gone....
Apr 5, 2010 6:58 AM

Nov 2007
Undoubtedly the most sympathetic episode in the whole series. They spent 60 episodes together; Sai conditioned Hikaru into becoming an experienced, professional Go player. All the matches they've been through, all the hardships, not even a proper farewell. ; _ ;

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 15, 2010 9:47 AM

Apr 2010
you know the one who created this hikaru no go is idiot..... in the very first very nice....

but...
TyrelMay 2, 2014 1:22 AM
Jun 8, 2010 10:43 AM

May 2009
Him disappearing was done brilliantly, though really, I'd rather have him stay! T.T
May 8, 2012 8:31 PM

Jul 2009
Oh my god this episode was COMPLETELY unfair T_T OK let's try to start from the beginning ...
Hikaru goes to wherever to do his tutoring stuff. Drunk Ogata is drunk lol XD He plays sloppily of course but god he was funny to watch LOL XD Good thing he didn't realize was playing Sai all along ... :P
OK THEN. THEN. THE NEXT PART. OMG. I mean, the instant I saw the episode title I knew what was gonna happen. Plus I was expecting it from the manga and everything. I think it happened a bit differently though ... so I was really, really surprised when Sai started fading away in the middle of their game. Especially when he tried to talk to Hikaru but he couldn't hear his voice anymore ... D: THAT SAD PIANO PIECE WHEN THEY WERE PLAYING WAS TOTALLY NOT FAIR. I mean how the heck am I supposed to keep calm when I hear THAT and Sai's playing his very last game?! T_T
THEN HIKARU REALIZED WHAT WAS HAPPENING AND I WAS GETTING ALL TEARY T_T Seriously that NEVER happens to me! D: OK it happens very rarely I guess ... omg though it was SO, SO sad when Hikaru was looking around for him T_T THEY DIDN'T EVEN SAY GOODBYE PROPERLY ... AAUUUGGGHH!!! T_T
Although what Sai said about people existing for each other and how thousands of years pass with person to person ... OK well, I thought that was really, really, really deep D; Not like in a superficial way but like, in a good, Sai way ... lol :P
K so well next episode Hikaru goes on his trip to try to "find" Sai ... oh my god ... this is so, so freaking sad T_T *sniff*
Then the ED comes on and its sad lyrics ... god ... it fits so well doesn't it? T_T
EvianBubbleMay 8, 2012 8:35 PM
Aug 27, 2012 4:57 PM

May 2010
So how is Hikaru going to play now?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 31, 2012 3:13 AM

Jul 2012
This episode... I'm not sure what can be said about it. While I agree that Sai dissappearing was done brilliantly, there is this empty feeling in me that tells me it just isn't right. I might have to take a break from hikaru no go, because continuing now would be oh so painfull. x.x
Feb 4, 2014 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
I am a huge hikaru no go fan and I just wanted to drop by and say that this is probably my favourite death in any manga/anime.

Shounen or stories in general are often about people chasing after their dreams. And when someone dies they still get some kind of happy resolution. Sai would have loved to reach the divine move. Sai is the char in the series that probably loved playing go the most. It´s heartbreakingl watching him having to accept death and won´t be able to fulfill his dream. And he can´t even say goodbye to Hikaru.
May 2, 2014 1:11 AM

Jun 2011
GOD DAMN IT!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 10, 2014 4:48 PM

May 2012
NO WAY SAI DISAPPEARED! Damn this doesn't look good one bit :s without Sai this anime is just shit :/

Damn I wish he'll come back!
Jun 20, 2014 11:20 PM

Jul 2013
SAIIII! T_T come back pls
Jul 1, 2014 5:34 AM

Oct 2012
Things are getting interesting. I'm surprised they didn't get to say goodbye, that's the sad part about it... But I'm curious how Shindou will handle the situation and what happens next :O

But if you're honest... Shindou doesn't need him anymore. He can play on his own and Sai was his mentor and done his part.
Jul 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Aug 2009
kurohaneul said:
Hikaru is so annoying. After this episode, I dislike him more than ever. 15 more episodes to go and without Sai(?), I hope it'll be worth it.

I'm glad I am not the only one who felt annoyed with the way Hikaru treated Sai. Hikaru was being too insensitive and never apologized for hurting him. Sai kept warning him that he may leave obviously he wasn't saying that out of spite and yet Hikaru wouldn't even think about his pleas or give him the time of day. Hikaru thoroughly pissed me off this time for not appreciating Sai while he was still around. Sai was my favorite character and I'm so sad he is gone. 15 episodes without him just seems too much right now.

Jul 10, 2014 7:15 AM

Nov 2011
So can I say that God Hand / Divine Move is impossible to be reached, I mean Sai said that even Hikaru being exist for someone else too, so as that someone else, and nextes.. But Sai was still the first anyway..

That was very sad, Sai is my favorite character, it was because him that this series became this enjoyable..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 20, 2014 4:05 PM

Jun 2011
I can hardly even type anything because of my tears... Sai was my favourite character T^T
Mar 23, 2015 7:20 PM

Feb 2015
I wasn't that fond of Sai in the manga but the anime version grew on me.

That being said, I don't think it's fair to hate on Hikaru. He's probably just fourteen-- it's impossible to ask a pre-teen to behave like a reasonable adult. Not only that, he never understood why Sai thinks he'll be gone - he figured since Sai hasn't achieved the Hand of God, there's no way he'd disappear.
Oct 1, 2015 4:42 PM

Sep 2015
I've watched this anime so long time ago..this episode has broken my heart.
Oct 16, 2017 12:25 PM
Nov 2014
While i didn't like sai, I couldn't help but feel sad when he disappeared. Well the last 15 episodes without him should be interesting.
Jan 13, 2018 5:42 PM
Nov 2009
the classical music added so much to the feels..
Jan 23, 2018 5:37 PM
Dec 2017
This was too much for me.
Mar 11, 2018 2:49 PM

Jan 2017
If only Sai could have a good last game with Hikaru that would be great.
Aug 9, 2018 6:24 AM

Feb 2013
Lol, this can't be happening, he needs Sai!
Aug 11, 2019 11:45 AM

Nov 2013
Just finished this episode last night.
Aside from wondering why Sai has to suddenly vanish at this point, the reality is that Hikaru is now alone and on his own.
The scary part is he has those demands from Ogata and Touyou to let them play against Sai. How is he going to fulfill those demands now? Will he play those games himself now?
It seems that he's become incredibly strong now. The fact that he pick up on an oversight that Touyou made during his match with Sai tells me that he's reading far into the game and the fact that he played a white on white game of Go indicates that he has incredible focus and memory.
So far, this series has been engrossing. Very few anime have been this suspenseful. At first, I was a little off put by the crazy hair styles of some of the characters and the kidishness of the main character, but watching him grow and learn, and the fact that he soon WANTED to play the games himself, indicated that he had found his aptitude in life.
Anticipating the remaining episodes with anxiousness.
Nov 24, 2019 7:25 AM

Oct 2015
Those words by Sai were actually pretty sad, too bad he left like that.

My heart was in pieces, shattered by how much it's going to be painful without him.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 1, 2020 7:47 PM

May 2015
Ugh I'm not crying you are!! T^T

This episode made me sad af. I love Sai as a character so much. I didn't think his goodbye was gonna kill me this much. T^T

God, I'm gonna miss him.

I look forward to seeing how Hikaru deals with his stages of grief when letting go of Sai. (I can only imagine how regretful he's about to become for how things ended.)
Jul 24, 2020 5:29 PM
Oct 2019
Sad seeing Sai go. I really liked him. He will be missed.

Also sad that Hikaru didn't even really notice and was unable to say bye.

But I prefer it that way because I was expecting it to be a much more emotional and painful scene. Maybe the pain comes next episode... Hikaru is going to be lonely. He's going to miss the hell out of Sai.
Jul 28, 2020 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
i liked how they putted some comedy so the watcher won't be quite sad the whole episode.
the last scene is surely the most saddest part in the anime, it gave me chills and make me shed a tear just for this. it's really sad that sai had to go while hikaru was in condition like this.
Apr 15, 2021 5:45 PM

Jul 2016
I literally stopped watching the anime for a year cuz I didn't want to see this moment.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jun 6, 2023 6:17 PM

Mar 2007
DooMWhite said:
I literally stopped watching the anime for a year cuz I didn't want to see this moment.

Hate to say it but you can suffer twice, since they made a live action, I watched the first 7 episodes on Youtube (not sure if it's still there) but it's on the usual Asian Drama streaming sites.

They actually did it justice.
Jun 6, 2023 6:17 PM

Mar 2007
Geeljire said:
Damn, he's really gone, is it forever?

I want to answer you but I can't because spoilers.
Oct 11, 2023 12:11 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Sad episode!
Good Bye Sai!!
kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 22 Discussion

EvianBubble - Apr 1, 2012

7 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 20 Discussion

13 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 17 Discussion

8 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 75 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - May 21, 2009

54 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jan 23, 3:07 PM

» Help: Hikaru no Go filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 27, 2023

1 by Cottard29 »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.