Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2023 10:37 AM

Nov 2011
It's interesting that even androids have their sense of pride, in the case of the jogger Jun. Then again, technology limitations and capabilities doesn't allow him to surpass his limits.

Seems this anime continues to explore how androids interact with humans and how it affects their personalities, or at least by their programming. 
Jul 14, 2023 12:17 PM

Jul 2021
who's gonna break it to Jun that even humans are limited by their genes, and insurmountable walls in the shape of stature, bone density or metabolism?

that gender fluidity shit though, where are they going with this?
Jul 14, 2023 1:15 PM
Aug 2020
it was not bad but i was expecting more.

the concept is original, so i will see how it goes...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 14, 2023 1:27 PM

Mar 2021
Not quite as emotionally jarring as the first episode, but told an interesting, self-contained story that gave us more insight into the interaction between humans and humanoids, as well as the world at large. 

This show has definitely flown under the radar a bit, but it is solid. Nothing spectacular in terms of production values or entertainment, but it is pretty thoughtful and hints are much larger/deeper philosophical questions. And this hints towards the broader plot/back story mystery that underpins these vignettes has me all the more intrigued.  
Jul 14, 2023 1:36 PM

Jun 2015
Madhouse being madhouse, and ive watched their shows for decades, they are not disappointing. I sensed on the first eps this might be a good story but bringing gender dysphoria to the fore front while tackling such a hyper sensitive topic which is so polarising and merging it with structural body difference is.. Well its Mad house. Asking us questions without solvable answers in a quagmire of intellectual debate. Looking forward to where this show is going. Love it!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 14, 2023 1:55 PM
May 2020
Wondering if this would be better addressed directly rather than as an anthology?
We will see digging it so far.
Jul 14, 2023 2:20 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Humans and Humanoids both have limitations, but at the same time have the ability to push past their limitations. Although Humanoids can modify their bodies at any time. That gender bending twist with Kaoru at the end didn't surprise me as gender boundaries don't exist in the more advanced world.
Jul 14, 2023 2:25 PM

Feb 2019
Just watched the first two episodes, somehow missed this airing last week I’m glad we got a philosophical sci-fi show this season. Even though this was written in 2015, with the rise of AI lately it’s an increasingly relevant and important topic to dive into.

Just what does make us human? What’s right and what’s wrong in terms of AI development etc.

Episode 1 gave off some plastic memories and vivy vibes while this one was more self contained and examined the limitations of both humanoids and humans. Just as humanoids are limited by the data and tech used to create them, humans are limited by genes and bone structures. There’s only so far both of us can go.

I saw a lot of people complaining about MADHOUSE and the non binary character, but if this is based on a manga aren’t they literally just adapting what’s already there?
Jul 14, 2023 2:29 PM
Apr 2020
Solid episode showed that both humans and humanoids have limitations
Jul 14, 2023 4:36 PM

Jan 2022
Ah, and there it is, the woke element to shoehorn lgbt+ into the story and mirror it alongside the narrative: "Robots and humans are the same."

Yah, hard pass, on another note lol. Everyone is on sage mode this show.
Jul 14, 2023 4:38 PM

Apr 2008
This is still better in concept than execution, but I'm happy to keep watching. Do hope they explain why humanoids would exist. Sure, a completely accurate human recreation is worth pursuing, but you wouldn't mass produce them without a purpose. Yet they seem to just be living normal lives. Who does that serve? I could see it being that they were made for some sort of labor then ended up being granted human rights, but that would make the quantity and age spread and normality of them all kinda weird.
Jul 14, 2023 4:41 PM

Mar 2020
Hmm, so I guess this will have some episodic storytelling along with an underlying plot possibly. Pretty bog standard AI and humanoid stuff, with the limitations that humans and humanoids have. It's still pretty intriguing, it'll probably get a bit deeper and perhaps get emotional at some point, but for now, it's just fine.
Jul 14, 2023 4:55 PM
May 2017
Kaoru and Motoko have something in common.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jul 14, 2023 5:01 PM

Nov 2011
Again, episode gives some input to think about : )
Btw, 2 x Kaoru combo, Kenshin also premieres today. ; )
Jul 14, 2023 5:25 PM

Sep 2020
Gender identity/fluidity in societies starring android, cyborgs, synthetic humans etc. is like a staple of science fiction since forever so seeing some people angered by this plot point is baffling.
Just for context, Ghost in the Shell started playing around with these ideas more than thirty years ago.
Jul 14, 2023 7:08 PM

May 2021
Certainly better than first episode which was trying so hard appear interesting. This one has better pacing and story. There are some hints at main story line but I am not sure it's going to be an interesting one.

If nothing else it's nice to see some conflicting ideas about limitations of both humans and machines and ethical nature of changing those.
Jul 14, 2023 7:09 PM

Jan 2013

Avvenirista said:
Gender identity/fluidity in societies starring android, cyborgs, synthetic humans etc. is like a staple of science fiction since forever so seeing some people angered by this plot point is baffling.
Just for context, Ghost in the Shell started playing around with these ideas more than thirty years ago.
You know how it goes, even the mere concept of anything other than cisgender identity is viewed as "woke" or "political". 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 14, 2023 7:09 PM
Dec 2017
Very interesting premise - it could get very dark.
Jul 14, 2023 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
  • Though previous episode focused on mental view (relating atomicity of existence or identity) of humanoid and human, physical aspect is added on in this episode. But as the doctor said after watching the sprint, this episode only showed the degree of resemblance between humanoid and human in the world of the story; their mental behaviours are almost the same.
  • It seems kind of flat as an episode, physical aspect may be inseparable for a degree for this kind of theme. (By the way, it may be a little off-topic, how the argument whether passive artificial limbs are "technology doping" or not was settled?)

Jul 14, 2023 7:41 PM

Jan 2021
Jun wants to be faster or something so he gets an check up by Sudou. Risa buying cake because she saw that Sudou eats sweets and she wants to know him better but when she wants to deliver the cakes to him she walks into something unexpected lol.

The first time we see Kaoru on screen, she knows Sudou. Jun gets into a fight with his friend and at volleyball when Jun wants to serve his friend jumps also and something happened to his foot and he lands in the hospital but he still roots on for Jun and Jun is in tears. Jun sets a new time.

Sudou lets Risa see a photo of back in the day when Sudou & Kaoru worked together in the lab. Kaoru meets Michi.
Jul 14, 2023 7:45 PM

Apr 2022
i mean, of course her boobs caught all the guy's attention.
Jul 14, 2023 11:45 PM

May 2015
I'm glad the track meet storyline with Jun had a good ending. Maybe the myth of the limits being mostly mind based had a grain of truth.
Jul 15, 2023 12:03 AM

Sep 2018
Kind of disappointed, a bit of a clash between theme and tone, and I'm usually pretty indifferent towards them. It's a little jarring in this series.
Jul 15, 2023 2:08 AM
Mar 2020
I always felt that theme of gender indentity wasn't explored enough in sci-fi works, so I was glad by that twist. It's a funny coicidence that I was thinking about things like that while watching the episode even before that twist.
Jul 15, 2023 2:35 AM
Sep 2015
Humanoid's inability to produce an offspring won't be a problem for gay couple, like those running friends.

So the pattern for each episode is there's a side story (like running) and a main story (MICHI), while side stroy will completed in each episode, the main story will just progress a little bit.
Jul 15, 2023 3:06 AM

Sep 2013
Its pretty idealistic that humanoids could theoretically with enough will surpass their specs, its like asking a 6600xt to perform like a 6900xt, sure you can overclock it a bit but it could never keep up.

We'll see in the future i guess

Deep dark fantasies
Jul 15, 2023 5:15 AM

Nov 2016
Interesting twists at the end.

Figured from the storytelling of episode 1 that it would be episodic, not to mention that the character Sudo seems to be partly inspired by Black Jack. However, the overarching plot set up is also there.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 15, 2023 6:38 AM

Apr 2021
Nothing really new here. Most of the topics have been already covered in a much more profound way by previous works and I fail to see a real personality here. The execution is also quite plain, the direction is pretty vanilla and the animation is average at best. I'll try one or two episodes more but if it continues this way, I'll make a better use of my time.
Jul 15, 2023 6:57 AM
Sep 2022
Going to be honest, I'm really not enjoying this so far but the premise is very interesting so I'll stick around to see if I can have a change of heart.
Jul 15, 2023 11:21 AM
Apr 2023
Lots of significant revelations in this episode; ranging from the serious to the comedic.

Looks like a lot of interesting things are going to happen in the 3rd episode.
Jul 15, 2023 3:35 PM

Oct 2020
It's progressing well. It handles human psychology, which changes with technology, well.
Jul 15, 2023 8:03 PM
Jun 2015
so far I like this even more,
as expected, the anime chooses which chapters to adapt, combine, and modify in such a way it is still true and faithful to the source material,
but more representable and enjoyable in modern anime format
Jul 15, 2023 10:33 PM
Nov 2022
This anime has some very interesting world building; In addition to the fact that the episodic subplots remind me of the Jigoku Shoujo (hell girl) anime, it makes it entertaining and dynamic.

I'm starting to like it.
Jul 16, 2023 5:30 AM
Oct 2019
NOT THE GOD RAY!!! NOOOOOO

Wow this is very interesting topic to tackle.
Jul 16, 2023 7:31 AM
Sep 2021
Avvenirista said:

Thank God, there's someone who thinks like me!
Jul 16, 2023 11:59 AM
Aug 2016
Avvenirista said:

tell me a case in GITS about "Gender identity/fluidity", most of humanity became androids it's true but never touch that topic about using parts for opposite gender
Jul 16, 2023 5:05 PM

Sep 2020
bergo said:
Avvenirista said:

tell me a case in GITS about "Gender identity/fluidity", most of humanity became androids it's true but never touch that topic about using parts for opposite gender
I didn't even imply that there were episodic cases specifically centered about that in GitS and that's what I said ''playing around''.
I honestly don't remember about 1.5 and 2 (or S.A.C. for that matter) but in the first GitS you have stuff like MEGATECH MACHINE 2 that subtly implies that customers can actually get whatever personalized model they want (yes, I know that the person getting the female model is a woman in that chapter), then you have PHANTOM FUND with Kagasaki ditching his male cyborg model and swapping to a female cyborg model in order to escape from Motoko and finally Motoko getting herself a male cyborg model at the end of the volume.
Jul 16, 2023 5:54 PM
Jul 2021
bergo said:
Avvenirista said:

Ghost in the Shell, brings up gender / gender swapping quite a lot, especially the manga. It's brought up an number of times that Motoko might not have been born a woman, but that she is more comfortable in a woman's body, which is lampshaded in the SAC continuity  -- Batou asks Motoko why she doesn't switch to a male model, when it's more physically capable, and she glares at him.

It's even in the very first episode of SAC, where it's outright said that a bunch of male political bigwigs would body swap with female geisha robots. 
Jul 16, 2023 10:28 PM

Mar 2008
Risa trying to buy Sudou a cake was cute.

Seems a lot of people here misinterpreted the stuff with Kaoru as limited a concept as gender fluidity and gender identity. I'd say it was more making a point at the social construction of gender roles and because Humanoids aren't human they cant really be considered to be male or female but sentient objects. That was very clear with what was said "You gotta wonder, why even have those things, when you're a Humanoid?" paired with what Sudou said that Kaoru doesn't identify as a man or a woman. What is suggested is humanoids can really be in any body form and doesnt even necessarily have to be human so why would they ever want to stick with whatever body they originally were given when they can change so much? So no, Kaoru is not trans but rather self aware of what they are and self aware these human made concepts like gender bear no gravity on reality of things and Kaoru bears a female form merely from desire to get attention from men.
Jul 17, 2023 9:10 AM

Dec 2022
I really like the detailing of their eyes. Bringing the questioning of sex is low-key a bleh moment for me because let’s just have a great anime story and leave that in the real world but that aside, I like this anime. Sucks that the humanoids don’t have as much as humans since most things are predetermined.

Jul 19, 2023 5:32 AM

May 2021
to everyone complaining about the non-binary character in a literal future world where such boundaries don't really exist with all these technical advancements - cry me a river lmao

Jul 19, 2023 10:14 AM
Jul 2023
IhnalakoKaina said:

that gender fluidity shit though, where are they going with this?
Maybe it was a clever twist to illustrate his point on how humans are govern by their biological instants, like moths drawn to flame, he hijacked the human's attention and exploited their vulnerabilities with his sexual attracting female exterior. 

Maybe... 
Jul 19, 2023 1:34 PM

May 2017
I liked this episode, really different than the first episode's story. made me think about trans people competing in sports against non trans people, and I didn't think they were going to go that route, or atleast I thought that they would do a bad job of using the humanoids as a stand-in for trans issues. But this was interestingly done.

Kaoru was initially talking about our constraints of societal roles that humans are seen constantly clinging to. and then to be a modified humanoid, I've that so much.

I also liked Sudo's last lines at the track competition, that both humans and humanoid nature is to slack off. seriously 😆
Jul 19, 2023 3:01 PM

Feb 2012
An age where robots have built-in limitations such as ageing and hunger to make them seem more human. The central character of this episode wonders if maximum athletic ability falls under that. It's a novel concept, to me at least...In contrast, Dr. Sudo's friend is a walking example of moving beyond societal norms.

The person Kaoru meets looks like a younger Sudo, a humanoid copy, perhaps? I am kind of expecting Michi to be a Sibyl-like system.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 20, 2023 10:33 AM
Aug 2016
Avvenirista said:
bergo said:

I didn't even imply that there were episodic cases specifically centered about that in GitS and that's what I said ''playing around''.
I honestly don't remember about 1.5 and 2 (or S.A.C. for that matter) but in the first GitS you have stuff like MEGATECH MACHINE 2 that subtly implies that customers can actually get whatever personalized model they want (yes, I know that the person getting the female model is a woman in that chapter), then you have PHANTOM FUND with Kagasaki ditching his male cyborg model and swapping to a female cyborg model in order to escape from Motoko and finally Motoko getting herself a male cyborg model at the end of the volume.
-

i never read the manga that's why i asked for an example
Jul 20, 2023 10:38 AM
Aug 2016
PraxisCat said:
bergo said:

Ghost in the Shell, brings up gender / gender swapping quite a lot, especially the manga. It's brought up an number of times that Motoko might not have been born a woman, but that she is more comfortable in a woman's body, which is lampshaded in the SAC continuity  -- Batou asks Motoko why she doesn't switch to a male model, when it's more physically capable, and she glares at him.

It's even in the very first episode of SAC, where it's outright said that a bunch of male political bigwigs would body swap with female geisha robots. 

"It's brought up an number of times that Motoko might not have been born a woman"
as i said in the previous post i never read the manga of GITS, anyway in the second season i remember they talk about a kid (the villian) that survive from an airplane crash and was sad because most of their body became robotic and later this kid meet a girl wich body were 99% robotic
Jul 20, 2023 6:14 PM

Jun 2019
Well, as someone who firmly believes that in the real world a male cannot become a female or a female a male anymore than a human can become an eagle, a cactus can become a whale, or a schizophrenic can will a visual hallucination into tangible material existence through a psychic beam, and doesn't at all support or agree with the politics associated with that identity movement, I also don't have any problem at all whatsoever with them including it in this episode and series. This anime - and anime in general - should be free to explore every topic and idea in existence. There's nothing wrong with it.

Also, there is a difference between biological sex and gender as a cultural signifier and assumed role. You can believe that biological sexes are fixed and immutable, as I do, and also that everything to do with gender roles is entirely an arbitrary and subjective cultural construct, as I also do, excluding those things with an actual material basis rooted in acknowledgment of biological differences, like, say, in having different parameters for judging a strength contest in a sporting competition for girls and women as opposed to boys and men, since the former on average has less upper body strength. Or separate bathrooms. A number of things like that which I think are good things and derived from a hard physicality. But other superficial issues like what types of toys a child plays with, how one dresses in terms of fashion, hobbies and interests, having to live a certain lifestyle or conform to certain public behavior, etc. are not.

I'm glad that this is the type of series which raises such questions and gets you thinking internally or talking about it outwardly to others, generating ponderment and discussion. That's more than can be said right there than a number of random series out there (anime or otherwise), raising such interesting and even provocative topics almost immediately, one episode after the other, within such a short span of the series' run.

I also agree with another user above, Traed, who mentioned that the issue concerning the subplot in this episode of Dr. Sudo's seemingly longtime friend and former co-worker was not just about sex and/or gender, but about the inherent subjectivity of roles humans choose for themselves and assign or attempt to assign to others throughout society as a whole. That was the entire point of the conversation on the park bench when the two of them were briefly interrupted by that large ball that the nearby children were playing a game of catch or whatever with went astray near their feet. She commented upon the fact that even the old-fashioned analog notion of children playing ball outside in a park seemed so cliche, meaningless, and just done by humans nowadays out of some kind of rote inertia even after the advance of technological development has rendered such things obsolete and pointless from the perspective of some.

If humans could imagine all this elaborate and sophisticated fancy technology and apply it in practice, even creating a new "species", sentient in nature, fashioned in their image, the humanoids, then why can't humans find or exercise the creativity to break free of self-imposed constraints of following and filling societal roles and imagine and implement a more radically different society in practice in daily living? Or is it just humans reverting to their "programming"? Even if that programming is biochemical versus computer code. What's the difference if it's coding all the same which can't/won't be overcome?
WatchTillTandavaJul 20, 2023 6:29 PM
Jul 22, 2023 9:30 AM

Jan 2011
Mariklyn said:
Ah, and there it is, the woke element to shoehorn lgbt+ into the story and mirror it alongside the narrative: "Robots and humans are the same."

This anime is an adaption of a manga that ended in 2017. Also LGBTQ characters in anime are not even a new thing.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 22, 2023 12:08 PM

Jan 2022
MasterHavik said:
Mariklyn said:

This anime is an adaption of a manga that ended in 2017. Also LGBTQ characters in anime are not even a new thing.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the original source of the anime. But if it kept the same progression as the anime. I probably still drop the story. It's a shame tho the story had a great premise, but it doesn't really "say" or do much in terms of a narrative. That's just my two cents, and please stop making the assumption that I dropped the show for having LGBT characters when I clearly stated it had woke elements.
Jul 22, 2023 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
Mariklyn said:
MasterHavik said:

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the original source of the anime. But if it kept the same progression as the anime. I probably still drop the story.  It's a shame tho the story had a great premise, but it doesn't really "say" or do much in terms of a narrative. That's just my two cents, and please stop making the assumption that I dropped the show for having LGBT characters when I clearly stated it had woke elements.
What elements are you referring to though?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2023

33 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 14, 1:48 AM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2023

28 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 14, 1:06 AM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2023

52 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 14, 12:30 AM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2023

58 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 13, 8:29 PM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

128 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 13, 9:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.