Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2023 5:21 PM
Nov 2020
Today I was witness to some of the best narrative storytelling. Peak. Yeah.
Mar 6, 2023 5:37 PM

Nov 2018
Beautiful episode
Mar 6, 2023 5:50 PM

May 2019
Phenomenal. Might be the best episode of the whole series so far.
Mar 6, 2023 5:55 PM

Jan 2017
Such an incredible episode that surprised me in how it was adapted in a good way. The core themes of the story tying in with Thorfinn's development was done so well maybe even better than it was done in the manga. Everything about the episode was perfect and I have no complaints. 
Mar 6, 2023 6:01 PM

Nov 2012
If you're anime only and struggling with the pace of this, it def picks up eventually. This anime would have been better off watched all  in one go it would make the farmland stuff be a lot less of a slog. 

Reading this stuff in the manga is a lot more tolerable to me anyway. In the sense that I'm not getting uber frustrated with the farmland shit b/c it doesn't take me as long to read/look at pages of it vs waiting weeks for the anime to slowly get through it.
midnightbladeMar 6, 2023 6:12 PM
Mar 6, 2023 6:10 PM

Apr 2022
cool contrast between thorfinn's dad saying "you have no enemies" and askeladd saying "everyone apart from yourself is an enemy here."
also the transition from thorfinn's dream state to reality hit hard.
Mar 6, 2023 6:16 PM
Feb 2023
que episódio incrível!
Mar 6, 2023 6:37 PM

Nov 2012
Did Askeladd truly want Thorfinn to become a pacifist?? Is that what he meant by "take them with you?"

What I got confused with is Askeladd specificallly says multiple times "become a true warrior" how is a pacifist a true warrior? Why use the term warrior then? IDK
Mar 6, 2023 6:39 PM

Feb 2022
This chapter is just beautiful.

I don't know what to comment on it since this chapter left me stunned, I can only remember the beautiful phrase that Thors said to Thorfinn

In the same way it was a very exciting chapter and with too much quality, it was my favorite chapter of the entire Vinland Saga series so far

Mappa did a great job as always

I love you Vinland Saga
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Mar 6, 2023 6:39 PM
Jan 2023
midnightblade said:
Did Askeladd truly want Thorfinn to become a pacifist?? Is that what he meant by "take them with you?"

What I got confused with is Askeladd specificallly says multiple times "become a true warrior" how is a pacifist a true warrior? Why use the term warrior then? IDK
Because that phrase was used by Thors, Thors literally did not wanna hurt anybody including askeladd before he was killed and that's his own philosophy and to touch thorfinn when he was young. 

Pretty blatant message being sent there since the beginning. 
Mar 6, 2023 6:55 PM

Jul 2019
Climb Thorfin! Climb! God, I love that sequence from this episode! 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 6, 2023 6:59 PM

Jul 2019
Comander-07 said:
Finally a half decent episode 9 episodes in!

Though now Im concerned about Thorfinn beeing a pacifist wimp for the rest of the story. Pacifism does not work. It never has. Some people are your enemies. Thats just how it is.

That's true, Which is why the episode showed the contrast between Thor and Askladd in both Thorfin's dreams and horrors. I guess you'll have to wait and see how he adapts both of these ideologies. 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 6, 2023 7:03 PM

Jul 2019
midnightblade said:
I'm going to start bulk reading the manga now, I'm out of patience with this. 

The dream sequence was nice, seeing askaladd and thors was fun. But even with all that and Thorfinn suddenly becoming a pacificst. Did the plot move foreward AT ALL??  I'm not sure that it did.

Thats the main problem ive been having with S2 of Vinland here. The absolute glacial pace of things. I'm sure the adapated material is good according to manga readers, but I feel like there's a total lack of conflict and/or urgency. I really like to have my works of fiction have a sense of purpose, (probably why I don't have a particular fondness for SoL genre) and this season has really lacked it beyond the general goal of them farming enough to win their freedom? Even that premise alone seems to show how damn slow the plot will be moving forward. 

I'm not sure I like the turn of Throfinn becoming a complete pacificst. I was hoping hed find some sort of reasoning/goal and have his violence towards others just focused on that instead of just blind revenge for Askladd killing Thors. Maybe we'll still get elements of that but I truely don't want to watch him become a pushover limp noodle that lets the ACTUAL vikings warriors walk all over him.

Probably the most iconic thing about season 1 was how bad ass the teenage Throfin was. Maybe shallow in character and purpose until the end but at the very least  you can admit its a lot more fun to watch. 

I recommend you to start from chapter 1. I think there are definitely surprises for you in the manga! 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 6, 2023 7:11 PM
Aug 2020
Definitely a ten, this is art, anime is not only about fight. We saw a man struggling, fighting his demons.
Can we really forgive him for his crimes?
At least we can accept to let him do whatever he can to be a better person…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Nov 2021
Wow.. they really gave it their all this episode.. 10/10. One of the best adapted episodes yet. BECOME A TRUE WARRIOR THORFINN!!!
Mar 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Jul 2013
This episode has cemented Season 2 as an epic tale for me. That depiction of Valhalla, OMG! Something out of Dark Souls! One of the greatest characters on television, Askeladd, came back; almost like a God of the underworld. This was perfect.

Super hyped for the next episode.
Mar 6, 2023 7:19 PM

Sep 2015
Atsushi Kobayashi CINEMA
Mar 6, 2023 7:28 PM
Aug 2017
This piece is made for who loves the art
Mar 6, 2023 7:46 PM
Apr 2022
The best chapter where askeladd appears again helping thorfin to reconsider his new life and thorffin crying made me cry too and promising to stop violence because it reminds him of his past with einar
Mar 6, 2023 8:28 PM

Apr 2012
probably my fav episode so far from this season but man, i wish i had some of what he is having
he was in a battlefield his whole life and then he punched? or he got punched and he became a true warrior
i guess this could happen if he got brain damage from the punch
Mar 6, 2023 8:34 PM

Aug 2019
At this point I'm going to be shocked if this adaptation completely drops the ball, because they knock it out of the park every single time and this episode is no exception. This arc was already good in the manga, but the anime elevates it even more. Goddamn!

Also, I watched the new "Attack on Titan" episode beforehand and the start of that had me thinking about "Vinland Saga" and lo and behold that's the part that this episode started out with. What a nice coincidence by MAPPA. Anyway, "Attack on Titan" ruins my mood with the protagonist's trajectory and then "Vinland Saga" comes along and heals me with Thorfinn's character arc.
Mar 6, 2023 8:44 PM

Nov 2019
I didn't mind farmland saga but this is just stupid now
Mar 6, 2023 8:46 PM
Jan 2022
Again farmland saga has another beautiful episode!
Mar 6, 2023 8:52 PM
Feb 2023
true masterpiece, the deepest and most meaningful anime episodes have seen
Mar 6, 2023 8:55 PM
Nov 2019
My favorite episode of the season so far. Nothing happening plot-wise but it was such a great deep-dive into Thorfinn's character.
Mar 6, 2023 9:19 PM
May 2020
this episode is peak
Mar 6, 2023 9:29 PM
Dec 2020
holy fuck... went bitch mode this episode. cryinnn luh it so goood!!!!!
Mar 6, 2023 9:31 PM

Jul 2016
Manly tears were shed.
What a tragically beautiful episode. So well directed and Thorfinn's character study has been outstanding so far.
Mar 6, 2023 9:34 PM
Nov 2022
amazing and emotional episode
Mar 6, 2023 9:37 PM

Jan 2019
This episode almost made me cry.
Askeladd, such a well-written character.
Mar 6, 2023 9:48 PM
Jul 2022
This episode felt like something straight out of classical literature. Makoto Yukimura's writing manages to feel Biblical in its epicness.
Mar 6, 2023 10:00 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This episode ended on such a quiet note, it's just Thorfinn and Einar getting back to farming.... and yet it speaks volumes. This was the loudest-quiet episode I've seen in quite a while.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 6, 2023 10:04 PM
Mar 2018
This episode was a masterpiece. Heavy symbolism, amazing storytelling and epic animation complete with that feeling of knowing you're seeing something you won't be able to experience twice. This is what it was all for.
Mar 6, 2023 10:48 PM
Nov 2020
I was eagerly for this episode and it was completely different from what I thought it would be
it was great and I just don't know how it all gonna pay off
Mar 6, 2023 10:53 PM

Mar 2020
I can now count the number of anime episodes that have given me goosebumps on precisely 3 fingers. 

I don't even want to add anything else out of the irrational fear of it somehow taking something away from it.

daily reminder to try not to take it all so seriously!
Mar 6, 2023 10:57 PM

Jul 2013
Bravo! This was by far the best episode we've had in this season, at least in my opinion.

Crazy to think how Thorfinn's life could have gone, if his father was still alive and he never experienced taking someones life or war in general. Thor's always had his philosophy that nobody has any enemies and to a certain degree he might be right, but on the other hand I wouldn't agree at all. There's always a chance to make an enemy. It doesn't even have to be your fault. Be it an argument about a love interest or simple jealousy on somebodies wheat.

Thorfinn's nightmare was beautifully animated. At times I thought I was watching a horror anime. And then the man, the myth, the legend finally made his appearance. I can't describe in words how much I miss Askeladd. For me he was definitely the highlight in this episode. His conversation with Thorfinn showed the big contrast in thinking compared to Thor's. In such a hellish place everyone besides yourself is your enemy. Same goes for a real battlefield. This is exactly what Thorfinn tried to escape from in all this time, but never really managed to do. Even when he decayed into this empty shell of a man which tried to forget about it, these nightmares where still haunting him. He can't undo his past, however in order to become a true warrior he has to climb up and keep moving forward.

I'm not sure about this whole "From now on I'm a pacifist, who'll never resort to violence". Don't get me wrong, I would be great to see if Thorfinn can live a happy and peaceful life, finds a woman, has kids, just what most humans desire. I have the feeling it won't be as easy for him.

That's what these damn retainers deserve. Pater is such a bro for helping our boys out.

Looking forward what happens next. We're almost in reach of the second half, so maybe there are some more surprises.

Mar 6, 2023 11:18 PM

Sep 2019
Best episode by far. 
Mar 6, 2023 11:32 PM
Oct 2017
Vinland Saga Episode 9 is the GOAT
Mar 6, 2023 11:32 PM
Jul 2019
Chills absolute chills from this episode from Thorfinn seeing valhalla for what it truly it is to him meeting Askeladd once again and then Thorfinn breaking down crying and apologizing to all the people who he killed in his blind revenge quest was the icing on the cake, I'm so proud of him can't wait to see how he changes from here on out.
Mar 6, 2023 11:39 PM
Jul 2022
Very simply a Masterpiece of an episode
Mar 7, 2023 12:09 AM

Apr 2016
Really don't know what they plan to do with thorfinn's character. He's becoming a pushover, and all he does is wallow in self pity and self deprecation. We get it dude, you killed people and you feel bad about it. But he's allowing people walk all over him in the name of atonement. It's honestly a pathetic way to go about his development. Thors was the same pacifist person and he got himself killed.
Mar 7, 2023 12:10 AM

Oct 2010
chainsawbutcher said:
This is so boring... Now Thorfinn is Jesus... Hope war comes for him very soon

If he's a savior perhaps he can save you from writing shitty posts.

Homura24 said:
askledd is the goat

A true chad even in dreams.

Senpapi-sama said:
Really don't know what they plan to do with thorfinn's character. He's becoming a pushover, and all he does is wallow in self pity and self deprecation. We get it dude, you killed people and you feel bad about it. But he's allowing people walk all over him in the name of atonement. It's honestly a pathetic way to go about his development. Thors was the same pacifist person and he got himself killed.

Fuck, have you been watching this at all? This isn't "all he's done" that's literally for a few episodes?
Start the fucking season again and pay attention, Thorfinn Christ.
SexyjutsuMar 7, 2023 12:15 AM
Mar 7, 2023 12:16 AM
Jan 2023
Senpapi-sama said:
First of all he's not being a pushover, if someone hits him for no reason. His own view is that, punches like that is NOTHING for him to be atoning for his sins. That's not what atonement is. 
Mar 7, 2023 12:17 AM

Jul 2021
no violence? damn. i wnder what direction the story will follow now. i kept expecting thorfinn to start kicking ass again but he has stopped violence for good and will start atoning for his sins by farming and helping others and using his strength for good purpose like his father i guess.

first step is still getting freed for now but right about this time we should be getting to see something from canute and thorkell as well. they have their own stuff going on now. but even after all this, thorfinn still can't remember his mum and sis?

great episode overall. showed the mental battle that thorfinn has been fighting, his true battle.

being a true warrior is pretty based ngl.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 7, 2023 1:29 AM

Feb 2014
The way that Thorfinn's dream began in a peaceful fields with a baby lamb waking him up, only for it to turn more gritty and desolate before becoming one brutal nightmare was done so well with hoe well each step transitioned after the other. It only got better when he ended up in "Vahalla" and a voice caught his attention.

It was none other than Askeladd. The glorious bastard himself was there and even in this nightmare Thorfinn was having, Askeladd's words hit their mark every single time without fail. Thorfinn's tears was a proper goosebumps down the back moment as he truly shown how much he regrets killing so many people on the battlefield, so with Askeladd's words of encouragement to fight his new battle, Thorfinn finally wakes up in the present day.

Einar was a proper beast, being able to knock one of the other retainers out and STILL hold his own against the other three before they finally retreated. A hard fought battle that he and Thorfinn won does feel good, as you could tell from his expression on his face when he told Thorfinn about it. Still, it led to another powerful moment where Thorfinn declared that he would be reborn so that he can fully atone for his past mistakes. A defining moment of this series if you ask me as well as being a memorable one. =)

With this issue resolved with no one getting punished thanks to Ketil and Pater, they go off to work hard at farming again, even in the depths of Winter.

Overall, this was a stellar episode. The direction of the visuals, animation and voice acting were incredible. I do look forward to seeing more of King Canute in the next episode once again.
Mar 7, 2023 1:57 AM
Nov 2016
The episode wasn't bad, it's nice to see Thorfinn having some character development and all but I really want this anime to move forward, we are almost halfway through the anime and we are still in the farming arc, I think it's time to move from this farming arc since it's dragging for way too long.
Mar 7, 2023 2:34 AM

Nov 2021
what a masterpiece of an episode. Seeing Thors and Askeladd again was just so incredible touching. Thorfinn's climb with Somewhere Else playing is absolute peak. Probably my favorite episode so far
Mar 7, 2023 2:41 AM

Jul 2016
xZabuzax said:
The episode wasn't bad, it's nice to see Thorfinn having some character development and all but I really want this anime to move forward, we are almost halfway through the anime and we are still in the farming arc, I think it's time to move from this farming arc since it's dragging for way too long.

The farming arc is a major part of the storyline. It completely defines Thorfinn as a character moving forward. Enjoy the ride.
Mar 7, 2023 2:56 AM
Nov 2016
Vindicater said:
xZabuzax said:

The farming arc is a major part of the storyline. It completely defines Thorfinn as a character moving forward. Enjoy the ride.

If you want to see where I'm coming from and what I think about this anime in general then check what I wrote in this post:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2080518

So yeah, I'm just not attached to Thorfinn, I don't care about him so I agree that he needs some character development to have someone like me to get attached to him and I'm totally ok with it, however, Thorfinn can have his well-deserved character development in other interesting ways too, his character development so far in this farming arc is nothing new nor inspiring, it's not bad, it's just between okay-ish and meh IMHO.

This season is nothing more than a 7/10 for me so far, I want this anime to move on.
xZabuzaxMar 7, 2023 3:07 AM
Mar 7, 2023 2:58 AM

Feb 2014
Man I always think what if Askeladd and Thors had met under different circumstances? They would have been best of both worlds.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

138 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
May 13, 11:23 PM

Poll: » we getting that award fr ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 23

53 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
May 10, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.