Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2010 11:29 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This series deserves to be a classic. The animation was fluent, the characters were memorable, the action had a big budget, every single person had a unique ability which made the series more fun than just a generic mecha series.
7-8/10 If I was younger I would've love it more.
TuzoAnimeMay 11, 2010 11:32 PM
Jun 18, 2010 1:29 AM

Aug 2009
This Episode is epic!!!!!! I love the scene where Daisaku Kusama leads the charge against the eye and everyone else joints in!!!!

For me this anime is a classic i had it on VHS when it first came over and then bought the anniversary set later. Thats why i will always watch it in the orignal dub.
I'm just an immortal kind of guy...
Jul 10, 2010 7:59 PM

Jun 2009
Ginrei's death by her brothers hands was unexpected, but the fact that she and every one else who died for not was delightfully tragic and memorable. Great ending to a great series.

Even though the show was little to cartoony at times and it seemed as though it was gearing up for a very shounen ending, it didn't and i'm all the more glad for it.

8/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 5, 2010 11:46 AM

Jul 2007
Murasame Kenji said:
But like always, Farmelle, I'm on this side and you're on that side...

Young Daisaku is unwilling to "cross the line" and join the adults in admitting that sacrifices are sometimes necessary.
On the other hand, you have Murasame, a guy unable to cross the border of life and death, encouraging Ginrei to do what she believes in while knowing that it would cost her life.
Throughout these scenes, the track that plays in the background is Line of Death - Kenji Murasame.

Being a super robot series with other shounen elements, I thought the OAV would have been a lot shallower. The final episode was unexpectedly bittersweet.
YuunagiSep 5, 2010 11:55 AM
Apr 11, 2011 1:09 PM

Feb 2009
This was a really unexpected OVA, I already had some expectations for it taking into account I was told "Giant Robo is your face!" In the end I was pleasantly surprised by the depth, artistic work and overall production values of Giant Robo. This is some of the best stuff that spanned in the 90s. In the end I couldn't give it an even better score because of some of its forced plot devices and brief important characters appearances.
VeethornJun 12, 2012 3:54 PM
Oct 14, 2011 5:01 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It took me long enough to get around to it, but the wait was worthwhile. Giant Robo is truly deserving of the moniker "classic". It manages to mix all these elements (superobots, shounen series, 20s styling, steampunk) and make it into a unique series.

I wish they could have explained a bit more the relationship between Daisaku's dad and Big Fire.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 17, 2013 12:02 PM

Jun 2012
This series is amazing, but it annoys me to think that it could have a sequel, but didn't.

So, all this fighting and death were for nothing, since Vogler's ambitions were to only improve the Shizuma Drive...

10/10 A classic! I want to watch it again when I can.
Oct 20, 2013 8:38 PM
Sep 2013
Actually loved the ending. It wasn't about the dad wish but his son blind vengeance. Which ironically was the one that misunderstood his father in the end.

The part were he shot Ginrei left me speechless!

The whole thing was huge with great animations.

9/10
Jan 13, 2014 9:33 AM

Sep 2013
This was good. However, it was nowhere near perfect for me. MC was a bit too whiny for my taste for this kind of anime, he was too young and seiyuu's voice raped my ears at times. And I liked Shinji from NGE, so that says something. (Why do young boys always have to sound like someone from freaking Bee Gees ffs??) Other characters were pretty awesome though, and I've gotta give mention to the very imaginative superpowers, they were really unique and made me think of something like Marvel heroes and villains.

I thought it threw way too many half assed plot twists in the last two episodes though, I felt like I was watching Guilty Crown at times. It also left way too many plot holes to my taste. I was sad that Ginrei died in the last moment, I'm not usually a fan of last moment deaths like these, if it's a character I really like. In some animes I can appreciate deaths, but in the end this wasn't an "emo" anime (Or so I thought) so it felt a bit anti climactic.

Overall 7/10, art/animation and OST were superb, MC was annoying so that took away some points + at times a little too haphazard plot. Anti-climactic ending took it down from 8 to 7/10 for me. :/
cupcJan 15, 2014 1:02 PM
Jul 5, 2014 11:32 AM
Oct 2012
i thought this was a great anime a true classic it looked a lot like astro boy so i thougt it might be his but it was not story wise surprise ending sorry to see so many charters bite it but solid story telling and i liked the giant evil eye ball as it rose up and destroyed all it said their would be a sequal but they did not make one rats!!!!
Dec 22, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
GIANT ANTICLIMAX

That's what this shit should have been called.

This last ep was nothing but something like ass pulls here and there. Then again, we've always been given incomplete pieces of information all the time.

They're Final Destination-ing us, what with progressing the episode with coincidences one after the other. To some extent, it's all logical (actually, it really is), but it's unfortunate that they just throw all these things in our face right at the last ep. And there's no proper closure either. AND THEN THEY SHOW WHO MIGHT BE THE TRUE "BIG FIRE." Man what the fuck was that? GR Operation? And we don't even get a sequel??? To make it worse, I've been putting up with Daisaku this whole fucking time. But there's no mistake that Giant Robo is the god of stoic.

I consider giving it a 6, but for great animation and OST, 7/10.

This show is one hell of a trap, getting you right at episode 1. It's a shame we don't get more of an urban setting (something like Blade Runner). That's what I loved about Giant Robo.
Jul 28, 2015 4:40 PM

Aug 2014
That twist ending has become one of my favorite endings.
Aug 8, 2015 7:03 PM

Mar 2014
I definitely agree with Zetsu_shoren on all of the points he made.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 3, 2015 2:33 AM

Oct 2008
Ooh boy. What to think, what to think. I came in to this with extremely high expectations as this has been a series that has been much touted about by many anime fans as a great robot series. Honestly, in some respects, I really do respect it for the quality, artistry and scale of the piece. However, many aspects really fell very flat for me personally that really affected my enjoyment of the series and puts it below other classic mecha OVA like Gunbuster, Macross Plus and Shin Getter Robo.

As usual, these are all very subjective and are all things that affected me, personally. Don't let me affect your enjoyment of the show.

Daisaku is way too indecisive and annoying of a protagonist. As some commenters have already pointed out, there are parallels with Shinji from Evangelion. However, unlike Shinji who breaks down for very selfish, pragmatic and understandable reasons, Daisaku's whininess born out of idealism gets really grating. Yes, he does rise to the occasion at the very end, but it takes way too long for him to do so. No, it's not entirely his fault. The characters that were around him should have actually talked to him.

There was a ton of unexplained stuff and confused motivations. If anything, this is the fatal flaw of the storytelling. The show seems to enjoy shoving things in our faces and letting events pan out before telling us what happened. While this is definitely a good thing to do for shock and awe factor, this happened way too many times for very minor things. If anything, it served to alienate the audience as opposed to wowing them. The scale and significance of the disasters and fights were hard to comprehend without actually understanding what they meant. Here are some of my questions:

What was the tube that Ginrei was placed in for? To prevent her from teleporting? Why? She teleported out anyway. Why let her hold on to the Sample? Did Ginrei almost destroy something that was meant to save the world? Did she not believe her father in the end like she had told Daisaku?

Considering the fact that they were all saved by her brother getting a hold of all three Samples, wasn't all the fighting all for nothing? Are we now supposed to be happy that the bad guy won in the end? As it turns out, the good guys that we were supposed to be supporting now look like they were the ones obstructing their own salvation for the entire series. Call it irony or whatever you want. I know it doesn't change the fact that they "thought" they were doing good, but man does it put a damper on things.

What was the Giant Sphere about? If it was a machine created for the sole purpose of bringing an end to the Shizuma Drives, why did they have one at the original Tragedy 10 years ago?

Of course, there are things that the show did well. The animation, the sound design and even the handling of the themes of growing up and father-son relationships. But I really do think that these flaws are glossed over in favor of everything else.

Please, if anyone understands any of this, please feel free to elucidate.
ActarDec 3, 2015 2:37 AM
Mar 31, 2016 8:08 AM

Oct 2013
one of the best animation/art i've ever seen. pretty good.
Mar 31, 2016 8:13 AM
Nov 2015
Actar said:
Ooh boy. What to think, what to think. I came in to this with extremely high expectations as this has been a series that has been much touted about by many anime fans as a great robot series. Honestly, in some respects, I really do respect it for the quality, artistry and scale of the piece. However, many aspects really fell very flat for me personally that really affected my enjoyment of the series and puts it below other classic mecha OVA like Gunbuster, Macross Plus and Shin Getter Robo.

As usual, these are all very subjective and are all things that affected me, personally. Don't let me affect your enjoyment of the show.

Daisaku is way too indecisive and annoying of a protagonist. As some commenters have already pointed out, there are parallels with Shinji from Evangelion. However, unlike Shinji who breaks down for very selfish, pragmatic and understandable reasons, Daisaku's whininess born out of idealism gets really grating. Yes, he does rise to the occasion at the very end, but it takes way too long for him to do so. No, it's not entirely his fault. The characters that were around him should have actually talked to him.

There was a ton of unexplained stuff and confused motivations. If anything, this is the fatal flaw of the storytelling. The show seems to enjoy shoving things in our faces and letting events pan out before telling us what happened. While this is definitely a good thing to do for shock and awe factor, this happened way too many times for very minor things. If anything, it served to alienate the audience as opposed to wowing them. The scale and significance of the disasters and fights were hard to comprehend without actually understanding what they meant. Here are some of my questions:

What was the tube that Ginrei was placed in for? To prevent her from teleporting? Why? She teleported out anyway. Why let her hold on to the Sample? Did Ginrei almost destroy something that was meant to save the world? Did she not believe her father in the end like she had told Daisaku?

Considering the fact that they were all saved by her brother getting a hold of all three Samples, wasn't all the fighting all for nothing? Are we now supposed to be happy that the bad guy won in the end? As it turns out, the good guys that we were supposed to be supporting now look like they were the ones obstructing their own salvation for the entire series. Call it irony or whatever you want. I know it doesn't change the fact that they "thought" they were doing good, but man does it put a damper on things.

What was the Giant Sphere about? If it was a machine created for the sole purpose of bringing an end to the Shizuma Drives, why did they have one at the original Tragedy 10 years ago?

Of course, there are things that the show did well. The animation, the sound design and even the handling of the themes of growing up and father-son relationships. But I really do think that these flaws are glossed over in favor of everything else.

Please, if anyone understands any of this, please feel free to elucidate.

////SPOILERS///

Ginrei put in a tube: She did a teleport in ep 6 so maybe she's recovering (and maybe comtemplating whether she would believe her father)

Everybody has a father, now everyone here idolize their father, hate for their father, sympathize and apologize for their father. So in the end, everybody's father is really a good guy so good luck for them having great fathers.

Now my questions: what if Vogler was bad, the show would have digged the topic of parent trust a lot believable.

And anyway why the BF tactician tried to separate all the members of the band??? Alberto, why didn't he let Alberto into his schemes? Why betray? Alberto didn't show any sign of turning against BIG FIRE, just questioning the credibility of the Genya guy???

SO IN THE END what did Daisaku achieve?? Seems like he gets to BOTH fight (while he rebels at the start of the ep, saying we should save Ginrei first then fight later????) AND go save Ginrei in the EYE. SOOOOOO Happiness without sacrifice or what??? what the conclusion to this ideals?
Jan 10, 2017 10:00 PM

Jan 2010
"Pollution. The destruction of nature. The depletion of the ozone layer. Only when disaster strikes, do we fear, panic and regret."

"Are we nothing but destroyers hiding under the veil of progress?'

Volger speaking on behalf of the anime I see.

The creation of a clean, renewable energy source that replaces all other energy sources of the present day. The potentials for both its uses and abuses. The dangers of the over-reliance on a singular energy source, both in terms of sabotage and accidents. The very idea that nuclear energy - the same energy source that the end of the Empire of Japan and inspired fear and terror during the Cold War - now serves as a tool to save the world. This is a very bold anime that takes place at the international level. During the fight, solar cells and fossil fuels were the only methods to continue fighting against the BF Group, and with the addition of nuclear power, the anime criticizes the inefficiencies and dangers of older energy sources, yet begrudgingly admits to their usefulness during times of crises.

Still, if Giant Robo is the strongest robot in the world, and it's also nuclear powered, I can't help but see political statements spilling out of the series left and right. This is made apparent to Giant Robo being made by BF Group, the enemy. In order to save the world, it becomes necessary to use the strength of the enemy to our own advantage, even if it means embracing a known evil as a necessity. As portrayed by Giant Robo, it seems like humanity will continue to persist, even if it means living in hypocrisy, and even if it means sacrificing things in the process. Though, the question of what we're trying to save the world from is still a headscratcher. At the end, wasn't this all based on people trying to maintain and improve their standard of living? I mean, how much energy and resources do we need to keep our present-day tools and appliances compared to a decade ago? It's easy to point fingers when we have a clear and distinct villain, so while the characters in this anime stand for concrete ideals, we still have individuals to attribute the complexities of the world to, which isn't as interesting I'd say.

But, I'm not the writer for this anime, and to criticize the end result of Giant Robo would just be me being greedy, so I'll take what I can get. On one hand, the anime functions as a giant PSA on the overdependence on energy, particularly in terms of how we live our lives in ignorance to how our lives are sustained. It also functions as a tragedy, for where none of the major protagonists and antagonists were wrong in their actions, yet there's no real way to have a correct answer in all of this. This was especially so with the last reveal, for where the Shizuma Drive could have ended humanity by their continued usage, recalling the fears of fossil fuels and nuclear power, of which brought everything full circle. I don't think the lesson here is to go back to being hunter-gatherers though. We've come this far in technological and societal progress, and while we've definitely screwed ourselves and the planet over a number of times over the past, it doesn't mean we have to continue doing so in the future. At least, that's what I got out of Giant Robo.

....That all said though, it's still questionable that the entire plot relied on Genya's misunderstanding. I'm still not too big on misunderstandings driving plots, so I dunno.
Nov 28, 2017 9:29 PM

Nov 2017
A wonderful series that falls just short of masterpiece status because of its absolutely horrible final minutes.
Jan 26, 2018 7:07 AM

Mar 2016
This is so theatrical, dramatic and tragic; but it really fits the super robot ethos and that might excuse some of the story flaws nitpickers might find. Tragedy isn't logical. Very impressed with the scale, the animation and strength of the plot as it neared the end. The ending was fitting and I am very happy with it. Beautiful in some aspects, immature in others, this was a treat to watch.
syncrogazerJan 26, 2018 7:12 AM
Mar 6, 2018 7:15 AM

Jul 2015
It's not even a complete story, sigh...

Really meh series, the only thing going on for it was the great animation, but that's far from enough for me.
Jan 15, 2019 1:45 PM

Nov 2016
Was a good watch for sure, but damn, this finale was a bit underwhelming.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 14, 2019 5:38 AM

Nov 2011
This is like a typical hollywood movie when they just throw stupid plot twist at the end..
Animation and music are top notch, plot itself is quite good, although not every episode have equal quality..
But the problem is the video to Emmanuel in the end and this Big Fire conspiracy stuff..
Why the fuck the video must appear at the moment they combine all Anti-Shizuma Drive, and this big misunderstanding just because Vogler said "Please stop Shizuma.." wih a missing word "Drive" in it really pissed me.. And I can understand that Komei dude just want to watch the world burn, but all those Magnificent Ten were not really passed out (and it also looked like they knew about this fake boss), yet they still did nothing when the world is going to end ... ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 11, 2020 6:01 AM

Nov 2013
It just fell aparts in the last two episodes.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Dec 21, 2020 7:07 PM

Nov 2017
God, this OVA was just torture to sit through. The animation is the only thing worth its salt. 3/10.
Jul 6, 2021 5:58 AM
Jun 2020
Watched this shortly after release on VHS (UK version) and thought it was very well done.
Now, having seen similar plot twists and surprise endings by the truck load, also having knowledge of what will happen, rewatching it felt lackluster. I honestly don't know what is to blame: the overexposure or the anime itself.
Feb 28, 2022 12:00 PM
Jan 2019
Am i the only one who was genuinely impressed by the plot, were on edge of my seat and was honestly impressed by all wow-effects this show has made, every time they shown something epic going on without explaining?

It's like i felt like a kid again, being honestly impressed, watching an animated movie... so gorgeous.
May 27, 2022 9:17 AM
Feb 2020
Definitely the mecha genre at it's peak. To think that this ova is crossover between various manga by the same creator and yet feels so organic is an incredible feat by itself. The animation and characters were full of life and the story was well written to boot. This needs a sequel so badly.
Nov 4, 2022 8:04 AM

May 2018
Quite a great ending actually! Of course all the events unfolded due to a second misunderstanding lol

6/10
Jan 8, 2023 4:11 AM

Jun 2014
That ending hit hard, very poetic stuff. I would've loved to see what Big Fire's deal was but that ship has sailed. Vogler trying to save the world was pretty predictable but still very well executed.
8/10 overall

Feb 10, 2023 10:29 AM

Aug 2020
Well this episode was surely bit controversial with those end moments twists but there were various moments too which I really love like murasame's or Emmanuel killing his own sister...
Apr 11, 2:33 AM

Dec 2022
Not even sure I'd call that a pyrrhic victory, what with the ruins Saint Abbe was left in. Doesn't help that Daisaku only grew a pair after the damage was already done.

Might've considered this an average mecha with some tragic attributes bolstering it, but it does have some impressive visual fidelity that gives gravitas to signature scenes, which undoubtedly would have been less effective if it were poorly constructed. I have to give it credit for that.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Robo Episode 6 Discussion

Farabeuf - Oct 13, 2011

10 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 10, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Giant Robo Episode 5 Discussion

TuzoAnime - May 6, 2010

14 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 10, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Giant Robo Episode 4 Discussion

TuzoAnime - Apr 28, 2010

13 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 10, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Giant Robo Episode 3 Discussion

Veethorn - Apr 8, 2011

13 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 10, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Giant Robo Episode 2 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 6, 2010

16 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 10, 6:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.