Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Busu ni Hanataba wo.' Gets Anime Adaptation

New
Nov 3, 2022 9:05 PM
News Team
Aug 2019
The December issue of the Young Ace magazine announced an anime adaptation for Roku Sakura's Busu ni Hanataba wo. (A Bouquet for an Ugly Girl) manga on Friday, revealing an announcement visual (pictured).

Sakura began serializing the romantic comedy manga in Young Ace in April 2016 and ended it on September 2. Kadokawa shipped the 12th and final volume on Friday, which also features the anime announcement on its wraparound band.

Synopsis
Despite what the meaning of her name would suggest, Hana Tabata bears no resemblance to a flower. Her eyes are too small and her limbs are far from slender. She is, in fact, "ugly," and as such, knows that cute things and a fairy-tale romance are out of her reach. Yet this does not stop her from daydreaming every morning as she tends to the school's beautiful flower beds that contrast her appearance.

One day, a casual encounter puts Tabata in contact with her classmate, Yousuke Ueno, who is well known for being both handsome and extremely kind. Why would such a popular student associate with a background character like her? To Tabata, it is an unfathomable situation, but can Ueno show her that looks aren't everything? [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Manga special site: https://web-ace.jp/youngace/contents/149/
Young Ace official Twitter: @YA_henshubu

Source: Comic Natalie

Busu ni Hanataba wo. on MAL
Hyperion_PSNov 4, 2022 7:33 AM
Nov 3, 2022 9:19 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
I did not expect that this manga would receive an anime adaptation! I really like this manga series, and I’m incredibly happy that it’s getting an anime :D
Nov 3, 2022 10:21 PM

Jul 2021
Have read the manga and this is a very unexpected series to get adapted + it's a cute one this time, I look forward to how it goes
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Nov 3, 2022 10:47 PM

Apr 2012
The Japanese are so obsessed with the idea that "ugly" people have to "prove" that they have a right to love and happiness that it becomes embarrassing. This is especially odd for a culture that seems to idealize half of what the world can call taboo.
Nov 3, 2022 11:39 PM

Apr 2020
girl is cute
as usual,

Nov 4, 2022 12:04 AM

Jul 2015
I absolutely HATE this superstition of glasses being associated with uglyness. Glasses make girls beautiful, not other way around!
They probably include her taking off her beautiful glasses as a part of her "transformation" or some bullshit like that.

Glasses supremacy!

Nov 4, 2022 12:36 AM

Sep 2020
We will be watching.
Nov 4, 2022 1:15 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
The Japanese are so obsessed with the idea that "ugly" people have to "prove" that they have a right to love and happiness that it becomes embarrassing. This is especially odd for a culture that seems to idealize half of what the world can call taboo.
the fuck are you talking about? it's just about girl with low self esteem and non attractive appearance getting loved by popular guy. it's your average cute wholesome romance, as simple as that. this is like ore monogatari but reverse the gender, or kimi no todoke but way less drama. nothing about stuff you write.
KumaNov 4, 2022 1:21 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 4, 2022 1:18 AM

Jan 2021
Now that's some good news today. Another good romcom getting an anime.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Nov 4, 2022 2:02 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:
the fuck are you talking about? it's just about girl with low self esteem and non attractive appearance getting loved by popular guy. it's your average cute wholesome romance, as simple as that. this is like ore monogatari but reverse the gender, or kimi no todoke but way less drama. nothing about stuff you write.

What I'm saying is that stories like this are much more common in Japanese teen fiction than in Western fiction. A Western person or character would rather say that life is unfair to them than feel the need to prove that they are entitled to it.
Nov 4, 2022 2:09 AM

Jun 2010
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

What I'm saying is that stories like this are much more common in Japanese teen fiction than in Western fiction. A Western person or character would rather say that life is unfair to them than feel the need to prove that they are entitled to it.

This is just forgetting the tons of western romance which have this trope.
Also, in the synopsis, nowhere does it say she has to prove anything to get the ML's love.
Do you even know what this is about are you projecting your assumptions?
The "oh western media is so superior and beyond this" superior attitude we see is frankly nauseating.
Edit: the manga synopsis is about showing that looks aren't everything.
So it is just you taking the moral high ground and virtue signalling for no reason. The "asian media has no idea how to be accepting" patronizing attitude is a headache.
Nov 4, 2022 2:21 AM

Apr 2012
lazyinternsan said:
RobertBobert said:

This is just forgetting the tons of western romance which have this trope.
Also, in the synopsis, nowhere does it say she has to prove anything to get the ML's love.
Do you even know what this is about are you projecting your assumptions?
The "oh western media is so superior and beyond this" superior attitude we see is frankly nauseating.
Edit: the manga synopsis is about showing that looks aren't everything.
So it is just you taking the moral high ground and virtue signalling for no reason. The "asian media has no idea how to be accepting" patronizing attitude is a headache.

Do I have to somehow explain that in an attempt to refute my "scarecrow", you created a much larger scarecrow instead of my words? I am the last person on this resource who would promote "how much Western media is superior" than Japanese. But you don't care, because you were busy making a scarecrow to attack me.
Nov 4, 2022 2:28 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

again, this series has nothing to do with "proof" or "entitlement". popular guy who love flower noticed unpopular girl taking care flower everyday that make him love her. she felt awkward being approached by such popular guy considering her appearance aren't supposed to attract such attention. you are assuming soo much here and enraged for something that didn't even there.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 4, 2022 2:31 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

again, this series has nothing to do with "proof" or "entitlement". popular guy who love flower noticed unpopular girl taking care flower everyday that make him love her. she felt awkward being approached by such popular guy considering her appearance aren't supposed to attract such attention. you are assuming soo much here and enraged for something that didn't even exist.

Assuming I'm angry without any hint from me @ accusing me of assuming too much - oh lol. Okay, I'll just end this dialogue so that it doesn't turn into another crap where people try to impose on me a non-existent meaning of my words.
Nov 4, 2022 2:32 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:
again, this series has nothing to do with "proof" or "entitlement". popular guy who love flower noticed unpopular girl taking care flower everyday that make him love her. she felt awkward being approached by such popular guy considering her appearance aren't supposed to attract such attention. you are assuming soo much here and enraged for something that didn't even exist.

Assuming I'm angry without any hint from me @ accusing me of assuming too much - oh lol. Okay, I'll just end this dialogue so that it doesn't turn into another crap where people try to impose on me a non-existent meaning of my words.
then what's the meaning of your original post then? and how is it related to this series? the hell dude.
Nov 4, 2022 3:22 AM

Mar 2014
Hmmm the idea for the story is a little outdated but at least it's different enough than most romance anime/manga... I guess
Nov 4, 2022 3:56 AM

Dec 2020
so this is supposed to be anime girl ugly? lol
Nov 4, 2022 4:40 AM
Aug 2021
sharp looking protagonist.
Nov 4, 2022 5:53 AM
Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
Kuma said:

You're quite wrong tho... you would be surprised as to how many tv shows and movies (american specially) have the same premise. Also, how is it that every single time I see your name in new anime announcements youre always either criticizing something or getting into an argument with someone lmfao, it'd be nice to see you happy about something some time yk, smile.
Nov 4, 2022 5:59 AM

Apr 2012
husshtao said:
RobertBobert said:

You're quite wrong tho... you would be surprised as to how many tv shows and movies (american specially) have the same premise. Also, how is it that every single time I see your name in new anime announcements youre always either criticizing something or getting into an argument with someone lmfao, it'd be nice to see you happy about something some time yk, smile.

Dude, I wasn't criticizing anyone and I wasn't going to argue with anyone. And I almost didn't even appear on this site for more than a week. At the moment, 3-4 people are trying to prove something and trying to distort my comment without any provocation on my part. I will be happy exactly when people stop shifting responsibility for their disputes with me onto me.
Nov 4, 2022 6:18 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I can already see that this series is gonna make me feel warm and fuzzy inside
Nov 4, 2022 6:34 AM

Nov 2019
doily said:

Reminds me of the recommendation request by @TinyTabun a few weeks back.. No one could point her to a show that fit the criteria.. Guess we know why..
this_shit_againNov 4, 2022 7:00 AM
Nov 4, 2022 6:34 AM
Jun 2020
already better than horimiya
Nov 4, 2022 7:23 AM

Feb 2012
Sounds wholesome so might watch.
Nov 4, 2022 8:03 AM

Nov 2008
That girl looks like a typical shy idol, not the definition of ugly. The key art shows the face of an 8.5/10 beauty, the real issue is just the hairdo; Hana just doesn't look good in twinbraids, but that short hair in the key art makes me want to throw her on stage and have her sing.

Nov 4, 2022 9:46 AM

Feb 2021
Finally real life series! They look so happy!
Nov 4, 2022 9:57 AM

May 2009
this_shit_again said:
doily said:

Reminds me of the recommendation request by @TinyTabun a few weeks back.. No one could point her to a show that fit the criteria.. Guess we know why..

Gasp, you remember my thread?? I'm touched. Also, definitely going to be following this adaptation, it totally fits my criteria so thanks!
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Nov 5, 2022 7:59 PM
Jul 2016
Small eyes, round glasses, slightly pudgy, thick eyebrows, shaggy hair. Not necessarily ugly, but probably more representative of the average shoujo fan reading this manga. Good old wish-fulfillment fantasy!

Seems superficially similar to Skip and Loafer, which also recieved an announcement for an anime adaptation. Is average girl X ikemen becoming a thing in anime? Average guy X hot girl was already pretty established in anime. Are we now seeing the inverse?
Nov 6, 2022 5:26 AM

Mar 2015
erikkamirs said:
Small eyes, round glasses, slightly pudgy, thick eyebrows, shaggy hair. Not necessarily ugly, but probably more representative of the average shoujo fan reading this manga. Good old wish-fulfillment fantasy!

Seems superficially similar to Skip and Loafer, which also recieved an announcement for an anime adaptation. Is average girl X ikemen becoming a thing in anime? Average guy X hot girl was already pretty established in anime. Are we now seeing the inverse?
neither of this and skip and loafer is shoujo.
Nov 6, 2022 3:47 PM

Jul 2019
I liked the synopsis, a little different from current anime.
Apaixonado por jogos e animes.
Nov 6, 2022 5:12 PM
Aug 2020
Been reading this manga for a loooong time now and as someone who’s not into shoujo… this is cute. And I mean, CUTE. Nobody is the antagonist here everyone has their own charm. Sure there must be that one girl liking the Ikemen but trust me when I say she is probably one of my favourite female characters in my short history of reading manga.
Anyways congrats on アニメ化!
Nov 7, 2022 4:05 AM

Feb 2019
This is just She's all That, isn't it? Ugh.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Nov 7, 2022 5:08 AM

Mar 2015
NeZuMi1111 said:
Been reading this manga for a loooong time now and as someone who’s not into shoujo… this is cute. And I mean, CUTE. Nobody is the antagonist here everyone has their own charm. Sure there must be that one girl liking the Ikemen but trust me when I say she is probably one of my favourite female characters in my short history of reading manga.
Anyways congrats on アニメ化!
again, this is not shoujo
Nov 7, 2022 12:56 PM

Jun 2019
Let's go!! I love the manga so I'm hyped for this.
Nov 9, 2022 4:39 AM

Jan 2016
I find it hilarious shes considered ugly for being a little juicy and having glasses. They shouldve made her like a cyclops or something. Or just make it an isekai lol.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Feb 3, 2023 2:53 AM
Feb 2023
I am sooooo beyond excited for this!!! Dreams do come true!! I was worried this wouldn't get animated but I was sure hoping it would
Mar 31, 5:35 PM
Sep 2020
OK,I'm reading this manga for the first time in March 2024, is this anime not actually being made? I would have expected it to have been released by now...

More topics from this board

» 'Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - 30 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
30 minutes ago

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

1 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
4 hours ago

» 'Fumetsu no Anata e' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Mar 12, 2023

20 by Klazzama »»
5 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

38 by Playcool »»
8 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by malvarez1 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.