Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 26, 2022 9:52 PM
Jul 2015
It seems obvious to me that they just assumed that we already know how the story goes, so they rushed everything and made a superficial recap to get up to speed. As I see it, they assume we know how Nora and Ren relate, about Jaune and Pyrrha, how the fight in the docks go, that Blake is a Faunus, who Penny is, etc. It's not intended to redo all those scenes and explore everything again, so some stuff did feel very quick and came to a conclusion without it being explored.

I guess the next episodes that will truly determine if the show is a hit or miss.
Jun 26, 2022 10:13 PM
Aug 2021
Don't concern yourself if RWBY: IQ has a low score/low rank. It's not going to be as bad as the REALLY bad anime, good or bad in terms of pacing and quality. (ex. Ex-Arm, Domestic Girlfriend, Strike the Blood, SAO 1 and 2, .etc)

Just enjoy the show if you love it.
Jun 27, 2022 12:13 AM

Jun 2017
It was really weird they skipped the fight at the docks. In a way shafted Penny and Sun. Wonder if they'll show that fight off in the future when
Weeb, gamer, cosplayer, and huge Kingdom Hearts fan
Jun 27, 2022 1:49 AM

Feb 2019
And here's where the inevitable rushing starts. In one episode they tried to cover the last quarter of the original show, plus have an entirely new storyline.

The Jaune part was barely an inconvenience. It took almost as long to set up the Inception machine as they spent within it. They just showed up, killed some indeterminate enemies, and he was out. Clearly just setting up the mechanics, but did it have to be so awkward?

For as many people as I see asking "can I watch this without seeing the original RWBY," the vast majority are clearly people already somewhat familiar with the franchise. It would have made a far more natural, far more watchable story if they just started with everyone already present. Especially since a lot of stuff established in these last three episodes (and especially this one) don't seem important - are Sun and Penny even going to show up in the Nightmare? The Jaune situation could have easily been two whole episodes by itself, which leaves another one free to briefly reintroduce everyone and the setting, reminding us of when this takes place and if anything has changed. Much simpler, much more effective.

At least now the show should begin being actually original.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jun 27, 2022 6:51 AM
Jun 2016
Well this is definitely not newcomer friendly, they basically speedrun through the 1st volume. Hopefully the pacing will be better on latter episodes when they just focus on the new storyline.

Animation quality is as expected from Shaft. They are very incosistent these days. Mostly just awkward, janky, and stiff animations with some very well done sakuga fight scenes sprinkled throughout.

Overall a decent start 7/10. The new stuff they added are actually interesting. Looking forward for next episode
Jun 27, 2022 7:56 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm kinda bummed that they abruptly glossed over the dock battle with Penny and Sun but maybe they'll show it at some point?

Other than that, I am VERY PLEASED with this anime so far despite the pacing in this third episode being kinda wonky at times
Jun 27, 2022 9:23 AM

Sep 2017
Shame that they cut the really cool fight at the docks. I'm still really excited about this. I hope they don't just rush through the plot of original series with some original stuff mixed in. It makes sense to follow along to a degree for the first while, and hitting the major story beats up to the end of volume 3 makes a lot of sense. Still they've got the ability to take a different route and improve on the writing. I'm very hopeful this can make me love RWBY the way I did when the red trailer first came out.
Jun 27, 2022 1:39 PM

Jun 2014
Well, that was something.

I liked the original for the battle scene and the insert songs. This adaptation (for now) is without a doubt worse in that aspect. There was only 1 insert song and the battle scene are worse, which is not surprising since it's easier in 3D.

At that point I'd prefer it if they made the plot better then. It's not that the original is bad (the first few volume) but more that it's not done that well. This anime is... it's just not well done as well. It rushes quite a bit and the development is too forced. Only 3 ep and Weiss character changed drastically already. Might as well just start with Weiss from ep 3 right in ep 1 and avoid all the drama.

It's still only 3 ep so I'm still looking forward to what will happen next and the opening but I'm not expecting much. The art and animation is also kinda weird. Some awful scene and the models looks like they were polished like a shard glass...
Jun 27, 2022 8:31 PM

Jan 2020
All 3 have been completed in that one hour thing and I can say that I actually liked it. The pacing is certainly noticeable and could end up as a problem but coming from someone who knew nothing from the rwby series, I was able to understand things with no worries so hopefully it'll stay that way.

A masterclass by Shaft and it's no surprise. One of the GOAT studios without a doubt. Not a bad start whatsoever

Jun 29, 2022 5:41 AM

Jul 2016
Kinaro said:
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Are we gonna be able to see Blake's mom in the season?

Askin the real questions

Somebody has too.
Jun 29, 2022 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Jaune reminds me of Osamu from World Trigger.
Despite underperforming in combat, he has a potential and catches up with his wit and merit.
He will indeed make a very good leader.

Jun 29, 2022 9:54 AM

Jan 2020
RWBY never has any good important male characters right?
Jun 29, 2022 12:13 PM

May 2020
Animillion said:

I don't think that's true. Or at least it became less true as the original series went on. We haven't seen the male characters do anything outside of a few fights at this point in the anime, which has so far only covered the first season of the original show, but I think Ozpin (the headmaster) is a great character and he stays relevant throughout the series.

There's a few other characters
that show up in later seasons that are important to the story, but aside from maybe some cameos it's unlikely we'll see anything or anyone from later in the series show up in the anime.

Jun 29, 2022 12:17 PM

Jan 2020
WisperG said:
Animillion said:

I don't think that's true. Or at least it became less true as the original series went on. We haven't seen the male characters do anything outside of a few fights at this point in the anime, which has so far only covered the first season of the original show, but I think Ozpin (the headmaster) is a great character and he stays relevant throughout the series.

There's a few other characters
that show up in later seasons that are important to the story, but aside from maybe some cameos it's unlikely we'll see anything or anyone from later in the series show up in the anime.

Yea, so unfortunately you mean what I’m saying is true. I like some series with female mcs, but I prefer at least one male lead to make things interesting for me. Oh well
Jun 30, 2022 3:21 AM

Jun 2017
DedPanda said:
This is literally better than the original in every feasible way just from the first three episodes. Actual interaction between characters, actual personalities, actual world building and lore foundation right off the bat...yeah, this is what RWBY needed.

people seem to forget that Yang practically didn't exist in Vol1 and that Vol1 was more like an abridged series/experiment tbh
I like OG Rwby don't misunderstand me, but Vol1 wasn't the sacred graal
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jun 30, 2022 3:55 AM

Aug 2013
AwesomeAlfie27 said:
DedPanda said:
This is literally better than the original in every feasible way just from the first three episodes. Actual interaction between characters, actual personalities, actual world building and lore foundation right off the bat...yeah, this is what RWBY needed.

people seem to forget that Yang practically didn't exist in Vol1 and that Vol1 was more like an abridged series/experiment tbh
I like OG Rwby don't misunderstand me, but Vol1 wasn't the sacred graal

Problem that RWBY always had was the direction. And its weird execution. It always had the issue of setting something up, then either not doing anything with it, forgetting it or completely changing it from that point onward. We've seen more depth in the core squad in this little bit of an hour premiere than what took like way too many volumes to establish in the OG series. I'm personally excited to see where SHAFT takes this series, because lord knows RT is just in a downward spiral.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 1, 2022 4:34 PM
Jun 2013
Nyx45 said:
Well this is definitely not newcomer friendly, they basically speedrun through the 1st volume. Hopefully the pacing will be better on latter episodes when they just focus on the new storyline.

Not true at all, is very newcomer friendly i didn't knew shit about this series and i did understand everything pretty well, and was very entertaining, the only truly rushed thing was that battle in the 3rd episode, that was a rough cut out of nowhere, but the rest was well done.
Jul 1, 2022 5:37 PM

Aug 2017
Ehhh, looks ok despite the pacing is a bit fast. I wonder who's going to be the antagonist now, that terrorist group?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 1, 2022 9:36 PM

Nov 2012
ojoulover said:
KANLen09 said:
As a 3-episode premiere, this is also the perfect 3-episode rule to see if Ice Queendom is worth your time, as a long-time RWBY fan or someone new into the series. This is no doubt a strong start to the Japan-made RWBY that is nothing but surprises.

I'm a bit worried about potential pacing issues because they absolutely screamed through plot, but oh yeah, strap me in. I'm going the distance.

I agree. Definitely going the distance. I am a bit worried about the pacing, too. My hope is they wanted to get intros over and show respect to the original before veering into new territory.
Jul 2, 2022 4:36 AM

May 2010
I started this expecting it to be trash, knowing what the source is. First episode was rubbish but I feel it came together by the third to a watchable standard. Animation is below what I expect from Shaft by a long shot (it's not bad though).
Jul 3, 2022 9:54 AM

Oct 2017
This episode was too rushed, things felt quite out of place and abrupt.
Jul 3, 2022 7:40 PM
Jun 2016
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
Nyx45 said:

Not true at all, is very newcomer friendly i didn't knew shit about this series and i did understand everything pretty well, and was very entertaining, the only truly rushed thing was that battle in the 3rd episode, that was a rough cut out of nowhere, but the rest was well done.

Well glad to hear it! Maybe it feels rushed for people who already watched the first volume of the original series especially on the 3rd episode where they rushed through the most and skip a lot of things. But I guess they still managed to cover all the important bits pretty well while adding some new interactions as well which is nice. I do think they really rushed through some of the character developments like many others has complained, Weiss' personality just shifts all over the place because of this.
Jul 3, 2022 11:23 PM

May 2016
gigguerra said:
It was really weird they skipped the fight at the docks. In a way shafted Penny and Sun. Wonder if they'll show that fight off in the future when

No, it's already canon that the story will diverge as a parallel timeline scenario after episode 3.
Jul 6, 2022 11:23 AM

Jun 2012
From the seamless introduction of Team RWBY in the first episode to kneecapping its own world-building in episode three, RWBY Ice Queendom so far feels like a refinement-turned-ascended fanfiction

Based on the web production RWBY (2013-present), Ice Queendom covers the first meeting between Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang. Not content to rest on archetypes or an established name, Ice Queendom expands what worked in RWBY while trimming what didn't. The crutch of levity and rule of cool giving way to wholehearted sincerity. It's sharp and to the point without losing its poignancy and relevancy

Three episodes in, however, and it's clear why the subtitle is Ice Queendom. Character arcs are fine; seamless ones are the best, announced ones aren't ideal. Then there's Ice Queendom, which is barely an announcement and so violently divorced from the story proper that it took its own world-building with it

Doubtless the world-building may still yet be salvaged. It's just unfortunate when any story bends over backwards to facilitate what I can only assume is a fan-favorite character. Weiss is certainly my favorite in RWBY, and hopefully the creative team can stop Ice Queendom from melting before it loses its warmth
Jul 17, 2022 9:06 AM

Jul 2011
The endcard made me reminiscence about Tegami Bachi. Shion in that illustration really looks like Gauche.
Jul 17, 2022 11:47 AM
Feb 2022
I liked it because the episode shows that Weiss didn't like Ruby being the leader at all but in the end she understands that she was the best choice and Jaune is caught by a grimm called Nightmare and Weiss too and the RWBY team discovers that Blake was from White Fang
Jul 17, 2022 11:35 PM

Jan 2008
Visually, it looked much better than the 2nd episode, or was at least more consistent. Seems they might just be going for one really nice action shot per episode or something, this time being with Weiss' fight early on in the episode.

RWBY is one of those shows with a lot of characters and in the original animation, many of them got their own entire full fight sequences but it seems for this anime, if it's not one of the main 4, the fight is either dumb downed or just downright skipped. One of RWBY's main appeal is its action but to see so much of it skipped is such a shame. One second they were preparing to do something, next second it's over. I actually thought I might of accidently clicked something and skipped but nope.
Jul 18, 2022 12:05 AM
Oct 2019
Paul said:
Visually, it looked much better than the 2nd episode, or was at least more consistent. Seems they might just be going for one really nice action shot per episode or something, this time being with Weiss' fight early on in the episode.

RWBY is one of those shows with a lot of characters and in the original animation, many of them got their own entire full fight sequences but it seems for this anime, if it's not one of the main 4, the fight is either dumb downed or just downright skipped. One of RWBY's main appeal is its action but to see so much of it skipped is such a shame. One second they were preparing to do something, next second it's over. I actually thought I might of accidently clicked something and skipped but nope.

And how many fights happens on average in 20 minutes of the original?
Jul 18, 2022 12:34 AM

Jan 2008
False_Mirror said:
Paul said:

And how many fights happens on average in 20 minutes of the original?

Can't say I remembered, haven't touched the original animations since like Vol3 or something. Not particularly interested in going back to watch them. All I can say is from this episode is that they skipped the dust robbery fight.

Though from what very little discussion and speculations I've seen, as the anime seems to have barely any, there's the possibility a good chunk of the anime after this episode will potentially be anime original content about Weiss' nightmare, so I guess in a way, they're just skipping content from the original series that's just going to be irrelevant in the anime original story.
Jul 18, 2022 1:58 AM

May 2018
Paul said:

Can't say I remembered

The episodes were short, like 5-15 minutes and the fights were unevenly distributed between them.
Here they got all the major fights but in a bit shorter versions.
The ones they skipped are 2 from the "trailers" (which are not plot relevant) and the battle at the docks.

Paul said:
All I can say is from this episode is that they skipped the dust robbery fight.

Actually this was the best represented one.
Jul 18, 2022 2:03 AM

Jan 2008
alshu said:
Paul said:

Can't say I remembered

The episodes were short, like 5-15 minutes and the fights were unevenly distributed between them.
Here they got all the major fights but in a bit shorter versions.
The ones they skipped are 2 from the "trailers" (which are not plot relevant) and the battle at the docks.

Paul said:
All I can say is from this episode is that they skipped the dust robbery fight.

Actually this was the best represented one.

Sorry I should of specified a bit more since there were multiple robberies throughout the show. I meant the robbery occurring this episode at the docks.

edit: Actually, I did specify and even overlooked myself specifying I was talking about this episode.
PaulJul 18, 2022 2:29 AM
Jul 18, 2022 3:09 AM
Oct 2019
Paul said:

Can't say I remembered, haven't touched the original animations since like Vol3 or something. Not particularly interested in going back to watch them. All I can say is from this episode is that they skipped the dust robbery fight.

Well, it's about 1 fight in 30 minutes or so for the first volumes and probably even less for the later ones. I mean, you can't really say that the IQ has fewer fights than the OG - right now there are even more of them for a minute of time, especially in the first episode. I agree with you that they will almost certainly now use the formula "one fight per episode", which will still be more than in the original.
Paul said:
Though from what very little discussion and speculations I've seen, as the anime seems to have barely any, there's the possibility a good chunk of the anime after this episode will potentially be anime original content about Weiss' nightmare, so I guess in a way, they're just skipping content from the original series that's just going to be irrelevant in the anime original story.

I've seen a lot of discussions and speculation, but we actually have official confirmation from the creators that the anime will be original content starting from the 4th episode.
Jul 18, 2022 4:19 AM

May 2018
Paul said:
the robbery occurring this episode at the docks.

OK, my understanding of english is to blame...I thought that thing at the docks was more of a raid, since they tried to steal industrial quantity of dust...but yeah, it's robbery too.
Jul 18, 2022 7:36 AM

Nov 2017
so i think SHAFT just skip too much important part in this episode, just why ??? if i remember correctly the warehouse scene in the original was pretty good tho, i just don't get it why SHAFT skip this part.

oh btw cuz Ozpin had the same VA as Kakashi, when i see Ozpin lecturing Ruby, it reminds me of Kakashi lecturing Naruto lmao
Jul 18, 2022 8:11 AM
Dec 2019
NiaAlexandria said:
i remember correctly the warehouse scene in the original was pretty good tho
coz it's recap đź—ż
Jul 18, 2022 3:51 PM
Oct 2019
NiaAlexandria said:
so i think SHAFT just skip too much important part in this episode, just why ??? if i remember correctly the warehouse scene in the original was pretty good tho, i just don't get it why SHAFT skip this part.

Maybe it's good, but how is it important?
Jul 19, 2022 12:26 AM

May 2020
Felt like I was watching the episode at 2x, but yeah that's to be expected given this is an "anime" adaptation. Though a decent watch if you just turn your brain off and stop comparing it altogether, still RIP Penny's badassery, just a 5 second clip lol.

Action scenes are fine, atleast SHAFT doing a job there.
Jul 19, 2022 4:29 PM

Apr 2018
Holy fucking shit? How fucking rushed was that ending.. If the girls weren't cute (and the action scenes), this would be my first dropped anime.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 1, 2022 9:54 AM

Feb 2016
Nice views of Köpmantorget (Merchant's Square) in Gamla stan (Old town), Stockholm. Even the statute of Sankt Göran och draken was there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6pmantorget
Aug 9, 2022 3:55 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That kind of mental curse manipulation is scary, first happening to the first team and now Weiss and I thought they finally fixed things between her and Blake after that drama but there's more incoming
Aug 9, 2022 7:49 PM
Jan 2020
nothing changed still consistent the pacing is starting to be highly noticeable though and it it good makes me want to go watch the original now but I'll stick around to see how this season goes
Sep 9, 2022 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
The way they skipped scenes is just too disgusting. I already watched the original years ago but still this episode's pacing is horrendously weird. It really felt like watching a recap episode instead of being a standalone anime.
TennoujiSep 9, 2022 10:36 AM

Sep 29, 2022 8:00 AM

Jan 2014
if I remember correctly, there is a fight with the cyborg girl, right? I remember there's cyborg girl obliterate the raid in this part, but it look like the scene has been cut off.
Sep 29, 2022 8:41 AM
May 2011
Abyhape said:
if I remember correctly, there is a fight with the cyborg girl, right? I remember there's cyborg girl obliterate the raid in this part, but it look like the scene has been cut off.
Yep. That fight didn't make it into this adaptation. Shaft was probably saving their budget.
Oct 3, 2022 1:00 AM

Feb 2021
Looks like the next episode gonna be awesome!
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 9, 2022 10:48 AM

Oct 2019
so they decided to skip the battle at the harbor and add that parasite grim in john which is not even part of the real storyline apart from the animation and the original storyline moments is really disappointing they dont even use the original OSTs.
Oct 9, 2022 10:50 AM

Oct 2019
FuTao said:
This adaptation is good they added new story and character. But they removed alot of scene which is a big letdown. And I wish they used the OG character BGM. The first season of OG RWBY is funnier and interesting. I think they rushed this too much. Time to rewatch the OG RWBY.
could not have said it better u,u
Oct 12, 2022 8:45 AM

Apr 2011
Shion should've thought that other people were possibly infected knowing that there's more than one of those types.

Oh well, maybe the team needs more development.

The anime is good so far. I remember watching a bit of the OG RWBY back then, and I didn't like the 3D. Now it gets a full 2D anime treatment I might enjoy this.
Oct 22, 2022 6:40 PM

Oct 2017
FuTao said:
This adaptation is good they added new story and character. But they removed alot of scene which is a big letdown. And I wish they used the OG character BGM. The first season of OG RWBY is funnier and interesting. I think they rushed this too much. Time to rewatch the OG RWBY.

FiestaOnline said:

Facts, dude! Definitely thinking of rewatchin the OG series as well, just wanna watch it with someone this time lmao

Also someone on the first page said he had felt so much "depth" from these characters, and never watched the original because of english actors and bad animation, - like brahhhh, the animation was epic in the original and the characters in this recap/remake feel so flat and lifeless at times, there's been like two good moments, and despite the jp or the english acting, i really think its the script that holds these characters back the most in this remake - because im finding it really difficault to feel attached to any of them as i did in the first, definitely funnier, definitely livelier, definitely more interesting, this new one aint terrible or nothing, but its definitely not better.

Also wanted to add, the OG music was way cooler, missed this'll be the day in the dust robbery, and the red like roses in the bird fight, i liked ruby stomping up there in ep 2 at the top of the cliff, that was epic, but then it follows with japanese hair blowing in the wind and got really cliche for me, it kinda took away from the epicness had just happened. Also kinda miss blakes weapon having a ribbon like attachment, in this version its just a metal wire, and the launch felt kinda less realistic or authentic because of it, but i might just be nit picking on that

Oct 24, 2022 1:06 AM

Oct 2019
GodOfWolves said:
FuTao said:

FiestaOnline said:

Facts, dude! Definitely thinking of rewatchin the OG series as well, just wanna watch it with someone this time lmao

Also someone on the first page said he had felt so much "depth" from these characters, and never watched the original because of english actors and bad animation, - like brahhhh, the animation was epic in the original and the characters in this recap/remake feel so flat and lifeless at times, there's been like two good moments, and despite the jp or the english acting, i really think its the script that holds these characters back the most in this remake - because im finding it really difficault to feel attached to any of them as i did in the first, definitely funnier, definitely livelier, definitely more interesting, this new one aint terrible or nothing, but its definitely not better.

Also wanted to add, the OG music was way cooler, missed this'll be the day in the dust robbery, and the red like roses in the bird fight, i liked ruby stomping up there in ep 2 at the top of the cliff, that was epic, but then it follows with japanese hair blowing in the wind and got really cliche for me, it kinda took away from the epicness had just happened. Also kinda miss blakes weapon having a ribbon like attachment, in this version its just a metal wire, and the launch felt kinda less realistic or authentic because of it, but i might just be nit picking on that

that person that didnt watch the OG rwby because of english VA has to have brain damage the VA was great and the animation at first was not great but definitely watchable but by the middle of the series it got better and by episode 60 or so it got even better, and the fight cerography by monty omg so good and even after he passed away the team still tried to copy it while not in the same LVL they do a good job way better than anime rwby and the movements in OG rwby are swift and have flow anime rwby feels so stiff and like u said the bird fight in the OG was fucking amazing i get goosebumps just remembering it in anime rwby it was so bad they didnt even use red like rosses like WTF bro the music they use in anime rwby is so bad, when is aw they didnt use RLR in the bird fight i was soo disappointed in episode 5 they at least played the mirror mirror song but it didnt fit the moment or the place was really random but still i enjoyed it at least.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

51 by Pingl0sek »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:00 PM

» Which will happen first

Tank895 - Aug 26, 2023

14 by PinkRawChicken »»
Aug 30, 2023 9:43 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 21, 2022

40 by kitsune0 »»
Feb 25, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 18, 2022

81 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 24, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 14, 2022

49 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 22, 2023 3:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.