Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2008 12:01 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Did Runge finally saw the light? God, I hope so. He was being to terribly annoying about Johan only existing in Tenma's head.
I wonder what's so special about Johan's and Nina's mother still being alive (don't see how she's important in stopping Johan).
Dec 3, 2008 8:03 PM

Nov 2008
This episode is kind of a settling down of the plot after the fire. Kind of boring. I'm still annoyed that Johan got away for no good reason.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I wonder if Nina has feelings for Tenma. There's a little bit of an age gap, but it's not unheard of. If anything happened between Nina and Tenma though, I'd feel bad for Eva. Eva's lonely too.
Dec 27, 2008 5:40 PM

Jun 2008
Nah Lunge is a douchebag as always. I believe he gave it a thought but then concluded Johann is too perfect, a monster, thus ruling him out because that would make him wrong - when he said that bit about "there are no monsters."

Naruto is kinda ruining this show for me. Not much, though. Maybe like I'd give it a 9.9 instead, if I could ;)

This is still epic, though. If I had that one disease. Dunno what it's called, the one with the premature ejaculation (see: 'jizz in my pants' on youtube). I would totally cream myself.
Jul 18, 2009 6:20 PM

Feb 2009
I think finding their mother could help them figure out who Johan is and what's made him like this.
I don't think Johan got away for no good reason. Tenma and Nina are not killers therefore hesitation in pulling the trigger is normal for them.

Aug 6, 2009 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
robosapien said:
Nah Lunge is a douchebag as always.
Couldn't agree more, hes always far away from the truth than it should. Flawless twist now that the mother of the twins is alive. I wonder how she would look like since the mother of Karl said that Johann resembled his father; obviously shes old, and she doesn't even know if her sons are even alive.

Anyway I wonder why Nina want to see Tenma so badly. Everything going smoothly, soon everyone will know the truth about Johann, just can't fucking wait.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 12, 2009 9:02 AM

Jul 2009
hmm I hope it's not as settled and boring from 39-70 as it was from ep 7-34.
Dec 3, 2009 7:27 AM
Oct 2009
Man,I'm thinking of giving this up,the more episodes I watch the more meh it seems.My hope is that maybe after this the more stand-alone episodes will return.Because I personally think that the strongest suit of this show is good characterization and it's especially shines with the characters who are in just few eps.
Feb 3, 2010 11:16 AM

Sep 2009
Until now, I was quite sure it was their father that was still alive. But it seems I was wrong. Now lets think of a relation between Schuwald and Johan's mother. Johan's mother was a friend of Karl's mother Margot, with whom Schuwald was in love with. It is certain that Schuwald did not meet Johan's mother personally since it was told that she was caught on the border, and taken back to Prague while having twins there. Since we know that Anna and Johan were found on the border alone, we could assume that their mother never actually crossed the border. So, the only way Schuwald could know about them is if Margot told him which is quite probable. If this is the case, then we could assume that Margot knew almost everything about twins' past. This theory is fortified by the fact that Margot raised Johan for a while.
Now the three frogs on a bridge. This mystifies me. It is obviously connected to the twin's past. But exactly could it actually mean. I am sure we would find out in a couple of episodes.
Another thing that troubles my mind is the fact that Margot knew about Johan being a monster. Then why did she live with him so peacefully as she wrote in her letter? Either she was trying to protect the outside world from him, but the fact that she ran the Bank of Darkness with him eliminates this theory, or she was forced to write that kind of letter. In this case, it could be that Johan himself wrote it. Karl's words in the last episode: "It's mother's handwriting" kind of confirms it. Since the attention was drawn to the validity of the letter. But if this were true, how would Johan benefit from it? Why would he need Schuwald and Karl thinking that Margot was living a happy life with her close friend's son? Since the letter was supposed to be read after her death, maybe Johan composed the letter so that suspicion would not fall on him?

Runge seemed to at least think about the possibility that Johan is real, and not only in Tenma's mind. But in the end I think he rejected the theory thinking he is too perfect. But how could he be so indifferent if he heard Johan being mentioned by so many people now? Even saw his picture and has proof of his existence. Maybe he did not rule him out after all? We will find out soon.
No sig :(
May 29, 2010 1:59 PM

Sep 2008
Oh Mamiko Noto, the world is blessed with your survival. You are such a swift godless too, getting away before that loser got to you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2010 12:49 AM

May 2008
Wow, it just keeps getting better.
Sep 2, 2010 2:34 PM

Sep 2009
Dieter's getting quite good at this stubborn followingness. :p
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Sep 19, 2010 8:05 PM

Dec 2009
*hates Lunge* HOW DENSE DOES A PERSON HAVE TO BE.....?!?!?!?!?!?

*gets gun* if no one gets rid of this guy, then I'll do it and do everyone a favor.
Nov 13, 2010 4:41 PM

Mar 2010
Yonatay said:
yeah i noticed that too hehe
whats up with the frog thing

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 5, 2011 1:11 PM
Jun 2010
wow, so epic
May 17, 2011 10:42 PM

Oct 2008
So, their mother is still alive.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 4, 2012 8:12 PM

Aug 2011
Wow, I really hope that Tenma finds the mother and that Nina/Dieter joins him.

Hate Lunge as always.
Mar 4, 2012 9:21 PM

Mar 2009
That's a very interesting message.
Mar 15, 2012 6:27 AM

Mar 2010
interesting...
Mar 15, 2012 6:39 AM

Mar 2010
runge is still stupid lol...
Jun 6, 2012 4:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Runge clearly forgot Sherlock Holmes' dictum of "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Johan could walk up to him and say "I committed those murders" and Runge would still blame Tenma.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 14, 2012 1:46 PM
Dec 2010
Aha anti-Johann group seems to be forming , it's almost unbelievable that none is after them anymore.
I wonder if they will show Prague in following episodes, i wanna see Prague in anime XD

BTW i dunno if this was joke but first name of Halenka Novakova > halenka is not Czech name, though it's czech word for clothing > "blouse". Correct and formal spelling of that name is Helena, you can call certain girl Helenka under condition you are very close to her, it's usually used by adults talking about their (grand)daughter/nephew.

Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyAug 14, 2012 1:53 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Aug 16, 2012 9:01 PM
Jan 2012
Frogs? what Frogs?
Once again Monster has given me questions that i want answered.
Sep 23, 2012 8:18 PM

Nov 2009
Omg I think that Runge might finally believe in Johan although probably only slightly. Also I wonder what the Mom is going to be like, and why the heck are the twins so screwed up in the head, its creepin me out.
Dec 18, 2012 7:32 AM

Feb 2012
Very good episode:

About Episode:

So it seems that library case was also in news already and Nina watching it. Lunge was in action again how could he find evidences in place like that. However they seemed finding something relate to Johan. But is it good enough evidence to get Lunge believing that suspect is Johan not Tenma.

So Lunge went to hospital and met Karl who told that he wants to Lunge to find Johan hopefully he now starts to understand what's going on here.Also Nina remembered Tenma saved her from the fire.

Lunge was acting again this time in Johan's room but he couldn't get any evidence because there weren't any left. Johan can quickly erase evidences. Also when Lunge went to meet Shuwald he was still so shock about manipulating that Johan did for him.

It was nice to see that Dr. and Nina relationship got a little better when they talked about events from that library firing. So Dieter is going with Nina to Prague too.

Interesting so Shuwald asked Karl to deliver message to Tenma in Dresdel. And that message was: Cedok Bridge, The Three Frogs. "if the monster you are after is a twin" The mother of the twins" "is alive in Prague".

Hmm this is really mystery. The Three Frogs could mean 3 people and this could maybe relate to organization members / leaders that man was telling about Nina in that mansion. As for Cedok Bridge these peiple may meet there. and of course the last riddle means that Johan and Anna's mom is living in Prague somewhere.

5/5
Jan 29, 2013 4:25 AM

Jan 2012
Runge is stubborn like always, but Johan atleast picked his interest.

Mar 4, 2013 6:38 AM

Aug 2010
Naruto is kind of ruining the show, he really isnt useful and just gets in the way
Apr 27, 2013 5:20 AM

Apr 2013
Thing's are getting interesting again. Runge is a fool as usual.
Aug 2, 2013 6:07 PM

Jan 2013
Am I the only one who thinks this is a beautiful and poignant story (as a whole, not just this episode)?
This is a masterpiece!

Think of all of the shows that you have seen, have you seen such a unique and beautiful show like this one?
And even if you have, it's probably a masterpiece of a different kind. Different way of telling the story, different atmosphere, ect.

It's awesome that there are so many amazing things in this world!

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 20, 2013 10:04 AM
May 2012
If Lunge finds out that Johann is really the killer not Tenma I bet he'll lose his shit and Johann and Anna's mother is the real Monster maybe and that 3 frogs that they're talking about Naruto summoned them.
Oct 10, 2013 1:31 AM

Jul 2009
first off it really slowed down a bit after the last episode :P

HawthorneKitty said:
Oh Mamiko Noto, the world is blessed with your survival. You are such a swift godless too, getting away before that loser got to you.

hell yes!!

i knew it Nina would survived!!

thank you Tenma!!!!

lol i knew it Lunge is persistent as ever!!!

i really don't get why people are hating on Lunge. he's such a fascinating character and he reminds me of Gouda from Ghost in the Shell 2nd GiG :P

even has a similar face and mannerism!

and wow Lunge is now acting like Johan!! i do agree that he decided that Johan could be real after all, but doesn't want to acknowledge him since he's waaay too perfect and must be a demon.

when Lunge laugh manically like that it was creepy as hell!!

it seems Nina is having trouble remembering who Tenma is at first.

i think the reason why Schubert didn't react to Tenma is because he knows the police are after him.

heck when Lunge talked to Karl for the first time, he outright said Tenma was the one trying to assassinate Schubert.

Nina almost got caught by Lunge!!

Dieter and Nina eating hamburger!! really love Mamiko Noto!!!

Three Frogs? hmm i wonder what's that about!

lol Gilbert, Riechwein, Lotte, Dieter, and Nina are all seating in one table trying to take down Johan!

i'm glad Dieter is now going this time around! it's been far too long since he last saw Tenma!

and wow Karl didn't saw Tenma passing by?

so Tenma did saved Schubert, but how did he managed to help both Nina and Schubert the same time? also how the hell did he escape without people noticing? same entrance Nina went inside the Library?

i knew it Schubert does know Helenka's(Karl's mom) friend which could be Johan and Nina's real mother!!!

looks like we are half of the show! 35 more episodes to go!

in all honest the ED is starting to grew on me!!

i want to know more about the picture book and what kind of parents Johan and Nina are.

and finally where's Eva? i hope she's okay!!!
Dec 5, 2013 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
I don't understand Nina, she acts so tough in some episodes and others she is like a porcelain doll. Bleh.

I wonder what the three frogs are. Tenma is sure to find out, he has to!

-Least my Johan lives a little longer <3
Dec 23, 2013 9:03 PM

Sep 2011
Runge is delusional as they come.
Jan 8, 2014 4:24 AM

Mar 2013
When karl was reading his mother's file, I knew right away that her friend who had twins only could be johan and anna's mother. anyone noticed that lounge version of the OP in the restaurant? LOL
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 23, 2014 2:51 PM
Mar 2013
Yonatay said:
Aww i love deiter!:) He's like the annoying little child that everyone loves!:)
Feb 2, 2014 5:38 PM

Jan 2014
UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I HOPE YOU DIE LUNGE. -.- but for real though. Who is this neglectant, of a truth right in front of their eyes :I

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
May 23, 2014 1:19 AM

Apr 2012
Marzan said:
Johan could walk up to him and say "I committed those murders" and Runge would still blame Tenma.

^ so true rofl

Oct 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Nov 2011
It's easy to say Lunge is stupid or delusional when you have a nearly universal perspective. Reality check, please.

He does seem close to finally believing that Johan is who everyone is saying he is:

Lunge said:
No data available.

This is the first time... the first time I've seen a room with so few traces of a person living in it.

I am Johan. I am Johan Liebert. Who am I? I was here. But I don't exist.

A demon?

Lunge aside, the revelation that Johan and Nina's mother is still alive could prove very important. I think it would be too hasty to assume she's the direct cause of these problems, but her existence could be very helpful. I have no clue what the frogs thing is about, though.

'Looks like Dieter is sticking to Nina this time. Poor kid.
Feb 3, 2015 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
Thank goodness my dear Nina is still alive.

Looks like Karl might have finally convinced Lunge that Johan exists...I'm excited to see if he will finally shift to Tenma's side.

Dieter is getting annoying. He's so stupid and all he cares about is "Tenma this" "Tenma that". Wouldn't mind if he died because he's just getting in the way but we know that won't happen because kids never die in anime.

Looks like both Tenma and Nina are heading to Prague to meet Johan's mother. This should be interesting.

Great episode. This anime has been getting really addicting.

8/10

Jul 20, 2015 7:42 AM

Nov 2013
Lunge starts to believe that maybe there is a Johan, Nina gets questioned, and both Nina and Schuwald go on about a frog. Only interesting bit is the existence of the twins mother, and where to find her, but off course, that is in the next episode. This episode is definitely a cooler off for the previous episode.
Jul 26, 2015 9:43 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 31, 2015 9:58 PM

Dec 2013
I guess this means we’re going after Johan/Anna’s mother. Definitely looking forward to this new arc.
Sep 1, 2015 4:46 PM

Dec 2013
It seems that Lunge finally accepted the possibility of Johan being a real person. It would be really interesting if a situation in which he has to choose whether to arrest Tenma or Johan unfolds later on.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 13, 2015 6:06 AM

Nov 2011
So this means that Karl's mother and the Liebert's twins mothers were friends, the link between the two could answer why Johan came to Schuwald.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 24, 2015 4:46 PM
Sep 2015
I don't want to dislike Dieter, but him always fallowing people that tell him to stay is getting super old. He offers so little to the story. I hope he gets more useful roles down the road.
Oct 2, 2015 9:55 PM

Dec 2009
Ah Lunge... Lunge... I think it's finally starting to dawn on him that this Johan person actually exist as soomeone else that is not Tenma. But he keeps blocking it.
Dec 15, 2015 10:50 AM

Aug 2015
As always Lunge is being ignorant which is getting annoying. Also what a twist with Johan's and Nina's mother being alive. Hopefully this means we will learn more about Nina's & Johan's childhood.
Jan 10, 2016 7:43 PM

May 2014
Lunge *facepalm* I hope he realizes his wrongness
I wouldn't be surprised if Nina fell for Tenma lol.
I just noticed that Fujiko Heming is the one singing the ed. I thought she was a pianist.
Mar 4, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
I don't see how going after Johan's mother helps Tenma in any way unless Johan knows his mother is alive.
Why did Schuwald know things about Johan's mom.?
Does that mean Johan's mom would have been told about Johan?
Mar 29, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
wat the crack is three frogs
Apr 2, 2016 7:18 PM
Mar 2016
Lunge's confirmation bias is a problem... but still... I'm starting to wonder if Johan even exists myself; at least, I'm no longer sure if he can be proven to exist.

There is much about Johan that defies explanation. He seems to pass through people's lives like a spectre or hallucination.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

158 by wallus81 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

138 by wallus81 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Apr 26, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.