Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2010 2:47 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not too bad. The storyline and characters just screamed 80's, and I loved the music to this, really brought back memories of when I first got into anime. Art stlye was also very well detailed for it's time. The characters were a bit one dimensional, but since this ones only a one episode long series, I can't complain too much. The only real downside, is that the battles were resolved with not much effort on the heroes' side.

At first I thought I was watching the wrong "Dragon's Heaven", since it started and ending with real life robot footage. Kinda put this series into quirk factor at that point.

A shame that this was never made into an actual series.
Jun 7, 2010 7:27 AM

Apr 2008
Nice stuff. Like you and everyone else, I was surprised to see that beginning there, I thought that I had downloaded the wrong file and when I pushed the video forward I then noticed that it was the right one. The animation was pretty cute and peculiar, it looked like a crossing between Miyazaki and Masamune Shirow. Very pleasant.
Aug 9, 2010 11:30 PM

Feb 2008
This was so weird I don't know if I can rate it, but it was pretty cool. Really dug the style and would've loved to have seen a full series out of this like that. The music was really good too.
Sep 3, 2011 9:12 PM

Apr 2011
Wish it'd either been a full-length movie feature, or an ongoing series ... ah well, at least they kept the story self-contained enough to fit in a 30-minute format.
Aug 6, 2012 5:32 AM

Apr 2009
I looked for Moebius in the credits and didn't find him, but it certainly has his style all over the place, and it looks amazing. This really needs a high-definition release.
A very pleasantly surprising hidden gem.
Jun 11, 2015 5:30 AM

Feb 2008
It was a nice short story. It could have been more fun as a movie though. The atmosphere and the setting were interesting and I would love seeing more of it. Sadly, this is all we got.

Also Yuko Minaguchi underrated as fuck.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 15, 2016 3:41 AM

Jan 2011
Was some decent enough fun, really feels like it's meant to be a full movie or series though.
Jan 18, 2017 5:12 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know what to make of this...the 80's B movie intro and outro felt really out of place and the story was too bare bones to really connect to anything or anyone.

That said I also feel very nostalgic for any animation out of the 80's era, music too.

Errr....yeah the story just didn't have enough for me, this needed to be movie length to flesh things out.

4/10 unfortunately.
Jul 1, 2017 1:07 PM

Jun 2013
Oh oppressor Brazilian Empire... hahahahahahahahaha

Only anime where I saw something from Brazil
Jul 3, 2017 4:12 AM

Apr 2009
rodolfoemiliano said:

Have you never seen captain tsubasa? pretty sure the trainer was a former brazilian player. And the new movie "koe no Katachi" has a brazilian dude there that marries with the sister of the protagonist

*sorry for the off topic
botchJul 3, 2017 4:16 AM
Jul 3, 2017 7:32 AM

Jun 2013
botch said:
rodolfoemiliano said:

Have you never seen captain tsubasa? pretty sure the trainer was a former brazilian player. And the new movie "koe no Katachi" has a brazilian dude there that marries with the sister of the protagonist

*sorry for the off topic

Captain Tsubasa I didn't see, but as it is an anime about soccer, this was already expected.

Koe no Katachi I saw yes. But I didn't pay attention to that detail of this character. Thanks for remembrance!
Feb 9, 2018 8:50 AM

Mar 2016
The music, art and animation were incredible. The live-action models in the beginning and the behind the scenes stuff at the end gave this the feeling of an otaku passion project. Good vibe and really fun to watch.
syncrogazerFeb 9, 2018 8:56 AM
Mar 17, 2018 8:42 PM

Jul 2017
This was pretty cool with the Moebius-esque designs. The animation and sound were both really good, and I liked the bold use of color. I was a little confused by the backstory, though, and the not a lot really happened. The characters were decent though. Like many others, I was very confused by the stop-motion robot stuff at the beginning. I wasn't too interested in the behind the scenes stuff at the end either, but I probably would have liked it if there had been subtitles to that or it had been in English. I also have to figure that this is like a DVD's special feature via VHS.
Apr 19, 2020 1:41 PM

Aug 2017
Nice art there, though the live action segments are too long (and there's basically no story. Anyway, I really dig the artwork there, looks like Moebius (and Nausicaa).
May 24, 2020 8:53 AM

Mar 2011
The soundtrack is amazing, the artwork was unique, and the mech designs were pretty awesome. Unfortunately, the story was meager and the combat, despite being beautiful, had no tension.
May 31, 2020 7:12 AM
May 2020
I discovered Dragon's Heaven just recently, and I found it so unique! You just don't see stuff like this anymore.

Retro8Bit: In the first post, you mention Dragon's Heaven manga. I have found about the first volume, but does anyone know if this manga had any more volumes, other than its art books? Or is it just 1?
Sep 17, 2020 10:53 PM

Aug 2010
Rewatched this recently, the whole junkyard vibe felt quite nostalgic. But the plot feels like you stepped in only towards the fag end of the show and missed out on the most interesting parts.
Mar 13, 2021 7:54 AM

Apr 2018
Honestly, i feel that this could've been a lot more fun than it ended up being. Of course, being a one-shot 40-minute OVA, i wasn't expecting much in the way of plot, worldbuilding or character development.

But I think that if they had just scrapped the whole live-action mecha models idea, then they could have used the time and resources to at least improve the action scenes. The live-action opening sequence and the after-credits making-of take up 6 min. and 12 min. of the runtime respectively and serve almost no purpose; meanwhile, the action scenes suffer by completely lacking any and all tension or excitement.

They play out like: SHAIAN nukes some tanks, Ikuru nukes a warship with SHAIAN's weapon, Ikuru nukes El Medine at point-blank range but she's fine, SHAIAN shrugs off El Medine's shots like nothing, then super-nukes him at point-blank range again while going "Ikuru will prolly be fine lol", SHAIAN and Ikuru are fine, happy ending, yada yada.
That last encounter was especially silly. Didn't they establish at the beginning that SHAIAN can only outclass El Medine if he's being piloted by a human? 'Cause he just blasted him no problem even though Ikuru was outside the cockpit.

Overall, an extremely average OVA in every respect aside from the undeniably beautiful art style and cool mecha designs, so 5/10.
Aug 17, 2021 2:50 PM
Jan 2021
Anyone else see 31:08 (in the credits)? Haha, interesting.

Anyway I thought the ova was not that good, not terrible tho. It had better than expected music.
Nathan025Aug 17, 2021 2:59 PM
Dec 26, 2021 6:11 PM

May 2012
The puppetry/robotics opening scene was unusual, and the art for the desert backgrounds looked very MS Paint-ish. Now, I'm not calling these bad, but rather more interesting for trying something a little more unique and let's it stand out from other OVAs that aired around this time. However, the story was still generic in my opinion. Didn't do anything to personally appeal to me besides the cover art, but it didn't do anything to make me dislike it either.
Apr 2, 2022 5:08 PM

Nov 2016
Stylish af. The art that seemed like straight out of a comic had it's charm and the music was cool too. Sadly, it was a pretty short adventure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 1, 2022 10:51 AM
May 2017
Not just impressive effort put on the practical effect but the animation was beautiful.
Dec 4, 2022 7:03 AM

Jun 2012
Short and sweet. Wish they'd fleshed out the characters a bit more; the final battle felt a bit anti-climactic. Amazing art, though.
Jul 3, 2023 12:47 AM

Nov 2014
Mostly average, but there are some incredible looking visuals in here. Worth it just for that. Also, lol at the implication of romance between the girl and the mech.
Oct 26, 2023 10:24 PM

Apr 2015
This one had so much potential imo, The story and the worldbuilding was nice.
Maybe even a movie would've been better.
Jan 29, 9:46 PM

Nov 2012
I thought there was an error on the duration/run time, so I submitted it, but is it just that it only includes the duration of the animated segments? a bit odd.

I wasn't too into this anyway, kind of disappointing really
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.