Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 10, 2022 1:27 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Since people can't behave and keep making thread about these, you can all have a special thread to talk about these topics. This thread will also be heavily moderated. If you can't discuss these in a civil fashion, you will be at risk of receiving a warning of a ban. Please read the Site & Forum Guidelines before posting.

Reminder of some rules and rules for this thread:
  • DO NOT make any negative/trolling remarks about fans or haters of the anime. Do NOT resort to abuse, spam or trolling. If you disagree with someone, leave it alone or reply back in a respectable manner. If not, it will be considered trolling depending on the gravity of the post(s).
  • Leaks like future episode titles, staff listings or tweets about future episodes are still welcome as long as it does not conflict with any other rules below.
  • Do not post about the score of AoT in any way. These will be removed without notice.
  • All posts must be in English. It is okay if you quote any tweets that are in another language and are on-topic, but your own post has to be in English.
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • This is a discussion thread and not a chat. Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.

This is mostly an anime only thread, please use spoiler tags. If someone repeatedly posts spoilers without tags, it will be a trolling rule violation.

Here are the Site & Forum Guidelines, the Anime Discussion Rules and the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules.
Want to read the old Rumor & Leaks Thread? You can find it here.

All other threads concerning these topics will be either locked, merged or removed.
The same goes for all ranting/blog threads. There are plenty of places where you can discuss, there's no need for a new thread every five minutes.
Gossiping threads will be removed too. Anything concerning the community being x or y.

anime-primeJan 10, 2022 2:42 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2022 1:29 AM

May 2021
Fuck!!
I have been waiting for this thread for 2000 yrs!!
Thanks mod-chan!
Please do something abt those alrdy made 20 threads too!
Jan 10, 2022 1:30 AM

Oct 2020
Top 10 reasons why anime-prime is best forum mod

Jan 10, 2022 1:31 AM

Jul 2021
Finally no more idiots repetitively doing some war over an animation, never once saw a thread where people talk about the characters and story :(
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 10, 2022 1:34 AM

May 2021
CQLLIST said:
Finally no more idiots repetitively doing some war over an animation, never once saw a thread where people talk about the characters and story :(
Yeah the only thing there has been ever since the ep aired,
This is shit
That is shit
You are shit
Everything is shit
Makes me chukle tbh.
Jan 10, 2022 1:39 AM

Dec 2015
CQLLIST said:
Threads here are always either animation debates, ship wars or blatant attempts to spoil anime watchers
Sir-CJan 10, 2022 1:43 AM

Jan 10, 2022 1:48 AM

Jun 2016
Thanks @anime-prime that was pretty based of you.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 10, 2022 1:56 AM

Aug 2021
k mod san ..sorry

I didn't know that I couldn't make threads comparing and discussing the animation quality of the attack on titan. i will avoid making threads that discuss like that from now on.

and what am i supposed to do about this thread .. .the delete option is not there:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1985813
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Jan 10, 2022 2:05 AM

Jan 2020
anime-prime has come to save us. I hope people will learn how to use this thread instead of creating more.
DarkGamerA said:
k mod san ..sorry

I didn't know that I couldn't make threads comparing and discussing the animation quality of the attack on titan. i will avoid making threads that discuss like that from now on.

and what am i supposed to do about this thread .. .the delete option is not there:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1985813
It's fine, I don't think you'll be able to delete it. Leave it be. Also, it's not that you can't make threads, it's just getting out of hand. You can now find at least 2 of the same thread. People just attack the forums and start popping out threads instead of browsing first to see if the topic has already been discussed.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 10, 2022 2:12 AM

Jun 2019
You know the situation is bad when the Mods have to step in. Thanks for this.
Jan 10, 2022 2:49 AM
Apr 2021
Pre_Yum said:
You know the situation is bad when the Mods have to step in. Thanks for this.
This feels much like the walk to Arlong Park
Jan 10, 2022 2:51 AM
Feb 2021
Enjoy AoT
No complaints.
Jan 10, 2022 3:02 AM
Aug 2017
Midmoto is yet to make a banger ost.
Ost choice and cgi were mid this episode.
Jan 10, 2022 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
I have to say that I don't notice much changes in the art, just as good as last season.

The CGI in episode 1 looked great though, blended in nicely with the 2D. Much much better than what they did last season. Production-wise I am really satisfied with episode 1.
Jan 10, 2022 3:19 AM
Jul 2020
i think the animation has had a huge step up, the CGI looks phenomenal and the detail on the animation looks amazing!
Jan 10, 2022 3:22 AM

Jan 2021
Holy shit. Things are really out of hand here huh.

Well. So...

Honestly, I prefer Mappa's 2D artstyle more. Also their CGI wasn't half bad in part 1 but its definitely improved this part.
I think the reason isn't the bad CGI here. Its more about the fact that how frequent it is used.
Wit Studio's CGI was atrocious (colossal titan) but barely anyone complained because it was only used for handful of scenes.
Jan 10, 2022 3:24 AM
Oct 2016
The production was a step up from the first season. The 3d models look great!
Jan 10, 2022 3:35 AM
Sep 2012
anime-prime said:
Since people can't behave and keep making thread about these, you can all have a special thread to talk about these topics. This thread will also be heavily moderated. If you can't discuss these in a civil fashion, you will be at risk of receiving a warning of a ban. Please read the Site & Forum Guidelines before posting.

Reminder of some rules and rules for this thread:
  • DO NOT make any negative/trolling remarks about fans or haters of the anime. Do NOT resort to abuse, spam or trolling. If you disagree with someone, leave it alone or reply back in a respectable manner. If not, it will be considered trolling depending on the gravity of the post(s).
  • Leaks like future episode titles, staff listings or tweets about future episodes are still welcome as long as it does not conflict with any other rules below.
  • Do not post about the score of AoT in any way. These will be removed without notice.
  • All posts must be in English. It is okay if you quote any tweets that are in another language and are on-topic, but your own post has to be in English.
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • This is a discussion thread and not a chat. Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.

This is mostly an anime only thread, please use spoiler tags. If someone repeatedly posts spoilers without tags, it will be a trolling rule violation.

Here are the Site & Forum Guidelines, the Anime Discussion Rules and the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules.
Want to read the old Rumor & Leaks Thread? You can find it here.

All other threads concerning these topics will be either locked, merged or removed.
The same goes for all ranting/blog threads. There are plenty of places where you can discuss, there's no need for a new thread every five minutes.
Gossiping threads will be removed too. Anything concerning the community being x or y.

How are you gonna implement poll topics to this mega topic? Seems like you did a dick move to me
Jan 10, 2022 3:36 AM

Apr 2018
The cgi was pretty good, slightly Better than previous season's. The animation was great. Dunno why people keep on complaining about it.
Jan 10, 2022 4:12 AM
Nov 2020
The cgi yss,
Those smoke effects after aren punched the shit out of riener were a sore to the eye,the camera work was awesome.
The very first frame with Levi half dead gave me goosebumps,it was thrilling to the very end and gave me similar feels to S2(my fav although I didn't rate it high enough for "reasons")
The background art was awesome too,can't compare to studio wit but still crazy good

KiR4T said:
Holy shit. Things are really out of hand here huh.

Well. So...

Honestly, I prefer Mappa's 2D artstyle more. Also their CGI wasn't half bad in part 1 but its definitely improved this part.
I think the reason isn't the bad CGI here. Its more about the fact that how frequent it is used.
Wit Studio's CGI was atrocious (colossal titan) but barely anyone complained because it was only used for handful of scenes.
yeah,it's like they want to use CGI for every single frame containing Even the non exsisting dick of a titan

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeJan 10, 2022 4:20 AM
Jan 10, 2022 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
I have no doubt that Hayashi and his team did the best they could with the resources they had, in the time they were given, and they did a great job, AoT has never looked this cinematic before, CGI titans was the compromise they had to make with the time given to them by Kodansha, so the overall quality of the show wouldn't suffer too much.

It's disappointing that there is a need for this thread, I hoped people would have gotten over the CGI/studio change by now, a year later.
Jan 10, 2022 6:44 AM

Dec 2020
The CGI was good and really blended in with the 2d animation. And the 2d animation was fantastic. I actually prefer MAPPA's style. And thanks for making this thread. anime-prime is indeed the best mod.
Jan 10, 2022 6:44 AM

Jul 2020
CQLLIST said:
, never once saw a thread where people talk about the characters and story :(

You haven't been that much active during part 1 then. So many people were arguing with Gabi's actions, Zeke's backstory and more.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 10, 2022 6:52 AM

Dec 2017
KiR4T said:
As someone who prefers accuracy and consistency more, I also prefer MAPPA's style. Although WIT's may have the higher peaks in action-heavy scenes, but they tend to sacrifice the dialogue-heavy parts with still images.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 10, 2022 6:53 AM

Aug 2019
I thought the art was definitely a step up. The character models look more consistent, the facial expressions look a little more vibrant and expressive and it overall just looks and feels a lot more polished.

The animation sequences for the Jaw and Cart Titan were really good, and the CGI models didn't stand out as much against the 2D backgrounds : they've been blended to look much more natural. There were still a couple of tiny nit-picks here and there, but you'll find that with most TV anime anyway.
xenosysJan 10, 2022 6:56 AM
Jan 10, 2022 8:02 AM

Jan 2009
they improve the camera movements this season and added some more effects like dust or smoke but the models are still the same

cannot wait for the 3D colossal titan debut like we saw in the OP
Jan 10, 2022 12:14 PM

Jun 2019
This tweet is from director of Vinland Saga S1, also took part of direction in eps 7 Part 1 Final Season from what i remember, i just thought i put something he said here

i censored his account name because i'm scared of some harassers potentially lurking around here so...

jackoffwankerJan 11, 2022 4:30 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2022 1:15 PM

Jan 2009
jackoffwanker said:
This tweet is from Shuhei Yabuta, director of Vinland Saga S1, also took part of direction in eps 7 Part 1 Final Season from what i remember, i just thought i put something he said here

i censored his account name because i'm scared of some harassers potentially lurking around here so...

in other words praise the staff especially directors and animators rather than the studio

staff list > studio name

exceptions exist like Ufotable and KyoAni that do all their work in-house with their own in-house staff
Jan 10, 2022 1:26 PM

Jun 2019
deg said:
jackoffwanker said:
This tweet is from Shuhei Yabuta, director of Vinland Saga S1, also took part of direction in eps 7 Part 1 Final Season from what i remember, i just thought i put something he said here

in other words praise the staff especially directors and animators rather than the studio

staff list > studio name

exceptions exist like Ufotable and KyoAni that do all their work in-house with their own in-house staff

you're right, i rarely praise MAPPA because i feel bitter towards the higher-ups

hopefully the staff gets a long holiday and compensation they deserve after AoT is fully wrapped up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2022 2:54 PM

Oct 2018
It’s actually funny how this topic blew up and is still such a big deal. Even Nanatsu fans weren’t this crazy and they’ve got it way worse.

The new OP is btw visually quite impressive. Even more so when you consider it was done by one person.
MaceChanJan 10, 2022 3:01 PM
Jan 10, 2022 8:17 PM

Jun 2016
Epic thread.

OP looked great. Tbh not a huge fan of these screaming ops. Reminds me of Death Note op2, but the song had some moments.
ED looked and sounded great.

CG was definitely better which is nice.

My only complaint -
They've used the Ashes on the Fire track by Kohta like half a dozen times since Final started... AND THEY LITERALLY PLAYED IT TWICE THIS EP. Yeah it's good, but not as good and definitely not as iconic as some of the Sawano tracks.

- Where tf are the Sawano tracks?
Jan 10, 2022 10:03 PM

Dec 2020
The Op is just fine, I liked the lyrical part of it, the shouting part sounds cringe to me.
Visuals are good tho.

Ending song is really great it has became one of my fav, the visuals and lyrics are really fine asf.

CGI also improved, but while I was watching the ep I felt nothing. When I read the manga I really loved this fight I was soo hyped to watch it but I wasn't excited while watching it.The fight felt like it was better in the manga. Well I hope I will enjoy the next eps. But I am disappointed with one thing that they even CGI'd the odm gear scenes. We didn't got a decent odm gear scene in the first part so I thought may be with a better schedule odm gear scenes will be good but mappa said no, may be next ep. Overall It was a 8/10 ep.
Jan 11, 2022 2:36 AM

Jan 2020
jackoffwanker said:

My respect for Hayashi shot up even higher. This is very true and applicable to MAPPA. The way they dealt with AoT as a project shows how little they cared about the quality, but I think staff and directors decided to do something about that and save the day, at least when it comes to this part. (Thank you SO much for censoring their name, you did the right thing)
Jan 11, 2022 4:43 AM

Jun 2019
samashi20 said:
jackoffwanker said:

My respect for Hayashi shot up even higher. This is very true and applicable to MAPPA. The way they dealt with AoT as a project shows how little they cared about the quality, but I think staff and directors decided to do something about that and save the day, at least when it comes to this part. (Thank you SO much for censoring their name, you did the right thing)

no problem,

anyway, yeah i imagine MAPPA higher-ups don't care about the staff as well but still have reputation to uphold as a studio so maybe they're trying to step up their game for Part 2 (?) and have already assigning additional staff to spread out the workloads in the upcoming episodes (not that i fully understand how production works though lul)

the best of luck for everyone involved!
Jan 13, 2022 12:49 AM
Dec 2020
I hope everyone understands the situation by now, but just in case someone is unaware, I'll recap.

>WIT leaves the show due to the harsh schedule given for S04, and because they weren't actually making much of anything from it due to not being on the production committee.

>MAPPA picks it up, fully aware of the difficult schedule.

>Harsh schedule, haphazardly put together staff, situation made worse by COVID. Staff is talented, but there's no action animators, the designs are very complicated, and in general it's a really difficult show to make, especially when it's your first time working on it.

>The result is a decent looking show, the only reason it doesn't break down is due to the action being largely CG, carried by good 2D effects. Character art is good in early episodes but has melty moments starting from episode 6. Overall not much movement, both in 2D and CG.

>There is intense backlash from a portion of the fanbase. It is understandable, as the show doesn't look nearly as appealing as before. Apart from the change in designs (subjective), action being largely CG, and no amazing 2D cuts, the compositing is also often off-puttingly blurry/hard to see.

>The blame is put on the production committee for not allowing enough time (their reasoning is to make the show coincide with the manga ending, so it remains as relevant as possible and makes the maximum profit). The blame is also put on MAPPA in general for accepting a show while fully knowing its complexity, and also not preparing the appropriate staff to handle it.

>The question then comes to, if not MAPPA, then who? Would the production committee have increased the time and WIT would've accepted it? Or would they have given it off to any random studio? This is the point where any discussion just straight up devolves into speculations and insults, because there is no way to know the answer.

Coming to part 2, the schedule is a better than part 1 due to the year long gap, the staff is more experienced, and a better schedule is usually more inviting to freelancers who might want to do some scenes. The CG is also now mostly in-house instead of being outsourced to V-Sign. As it is evident from the first episode, you can expect the CG models to move a lot more, a shit ton of great 2D effects work, and perhaps some good 2D character acting.

Do not expect any nutty 2D action scenes, either with Titan battles or with ODM. The quality should be similar to episode 1 for these next few eps, then for the final few episodes where things get really intense, the quality will depend on the state of the production, which we will get to know more about as the season progresses.
Jan 13, 2022 12:59 AM
May 2020
aotisgoat23 said:
CQLLIST said:
Yeah the only thing there has been ever since the ep aired,
This is shit
That is shit
You are shit
Everything is shit
Makes me chukle tbh.

You forgot. "I" am also shit.
Jan 13, 2022 11:10 AM

Jan 2009
this Sticky Threads does not work since the Mobile App Feed does not show them dang
Jan 13, 2022 11:12 AM

Dec 2020
Osts used in these two videos are better than Whatever mappa did.
https://youtu.be/66xbYsmuUmM

Sound is kinda weird here but the ost choice is good
https://youtu.be/PlHsvsV206s

I think the ost used during eren vs Reiner and porco in the recent ep was weak. I didn't felt the hype. I was really hyped for the ep but while watching it I felt nothing. First of all CGI fights doesn't looks great in general but it can look good with proper bgm or with proper fight sequence and both were lacking in this ep.
Aot has soo much good ost but why tf mappa keep coming back to the same osts again and again??
People were hyped abt hayashi directing the ep and what happened?? Literally nothing!!
I know this is a hot take but S4 P1 ep 1 was overall better directed and was better than this ep.(beast titan was kinda meh tho but still I was hyped while watching that ep)
Jan 13, 2022 11:27 AM

Jan 2009
people are still forgetting this fact
WIT quit because the production time or schedule is getting so bad than the already bad production time given to them on previous seasons

CGI/3DCG is meant to speed up production so that is why MAPPA did that since they have no time to animate titans in 2D

@TheFounder131

ye Hayashi maybe weak on OST choices
Jan 14, 2022 6:05 AM

Jan 2020
deg said:
WIT quit because the production time or schedule is getting so bad than the already bad production time given to them on previous seasons

CGI/3DCG is meant to speed up production so that is why MAPPA did that since they have no time to animate titans in 2D

But Hayashi isn't the sound director (?), Mima Masafumi is actually the sound director. The thing is, he's been in that role since the beginning, but somehow his OST choices are getting worse? Not sure why the OSTs used, more often than not, miss.
Jan 14, 2022 6:27 AM

Jul 2019
samashi20 said:
deg said:

But Hayashi isn't the sound director (?), Mima Masafumi is actually the sound director. The thing is, he's been in that role since the beginning, but somehow his OST choices are getting worse? Not sure why the OSTs used, more often than not, miss.

Actually, from what i heard, the OST placement is chosen by both the episode director and sound director and since Hayashi is the series director he has the final say.

Obviously we can't know for sure what is happening behind the scenes, at this point i just hope that the next episodes won't have this issue.
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
samashi20 said:
deg said:

yep but as mentioned Hayashi is the series director and episode director too so he has the final say on the OST choice
Jan 14, 2022 10:31 AM

Jan 2020
@deg and @Fax001s thank you both for the replies. Yeah, Masafumi (the sound director) has done an amazing job on the first 3 seasons, so this probably means it's not all up to him now. I really hope Hayashi, or whoever's in charge, relies more on him and his choices from now on.
Jan 23, 2022 1:25 PM

Jan 2020
Episode 3 music selection is phenomenal. They really went hard on the OSTs and nailed them. I think this is one of the very few episodes where MAPPA raised the impact of the scene higher by the OST chosen. I also think the CGI looks even better than the first two episodes.
Jan 23, 2022 1:30 PM

Jan 2009
samashi20 said:
Episode 3 music selection is phenomenal. They really went hard on the OSTs and nailed them. I think this is one of the very few episodes where MAPPA raised the impact of the scene higher by the OST chosen. I also think the CGI looks even better than the first two episodes.

yep agreed the music is finally relevant lol the episode director did awesome than Hayashi this time when it comes to music choices
Jan 23, 2022 1:34 PM

Jan 2020
deg said:
samashi20 said:

yep agreed the music is finally relevant lol the episode director did awesome than Hayashi this time when it comes to music choices

Yeah, this Teruyuki Omine guy saved probably one of the most anticipated episodes from flopping in terms of music. Even his direction is out of this world. Love seeing the core MAPPA directors working on AoT!!
Jan 23, 2022 5:49 PM

Aug 2019
I'm hoping Omine gets a few more episodes this season.
Jan 23, 2022 7:15 PM
Oct 2015
This episode exceded my expectations, if this part 2 keeps this level of quality consitent then from a technical level I would put it above S3

I still am amazed on how good the headshot sequence was and the intro to PATHS.

Next ep is gonna be the Declaration of War/Midnight sun of this part 2
Jan 23, 2022 8:14 PM

Jan 2020
MAQS said:

As an anime-only, extremely excited to hear that. Declaration of War and Hero are my top 1 episodes of AoT!!

xenosys said:
SAME! I hope they give him next episode too since manga readers are looking forward to that one too.
Jan 23, 2022 8:33 PM
Oct 2015
samashi20 said:
MAQS said:

As an anime-only, extremely excited to hear that. Declaration of War and Hero are my top 1 episodes of AoT!!

xenosys said:
SAME! I hope they give him next episode too since manga readers are looking forward to that one too.

I used Midnight sun and DOW becuase they are all dialogue only episode and the best of their respective parts, this next ep is gonna pay off something big that was tease back in s3 the ep after is also extremely good although for different reasons and heck with this pace ep 6 is also gonna be really strong, its on ep 7-8-9 that is gonna slow down since its the proper end of the arc and the start of the final arc, of whichwe still dont know how the end will be part 3, movie who knows.

When I mean end of a arc I mean it in the sense of for example assassins bullet being the end of the marley and the next ep being the clear start of this arc we are now, well is gonna something like.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Apr 3, 2022

540 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 9, 2022

451 by BlueSnow93 »»
May 9, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 20, 2022

430 by phantom346 »»
Apr 18, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 13, 2022

416 by goral »»
Apr 14, 4:43 AM

» Falco said something in episode 1 of part 1 which I didn't get the reference of

_karan_123 - Feb 9, 2022

27 by manish_2 »»
Mar 28, 7:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.