Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2021 1:47 PM

Jul 2017
This was one heck of a mystery. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in Lupin before.

The first half was very well-written. I was legitimately convinced that the two main men at the bar weren't Lupin and Jigen with how long the show carried on with their disguises.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Nov 6, 2021 2:37 PM
Dec 2019
Was that suppose to be Golgo 13 in the cafe? Same profession, face and his favorite weapon.
Nov 6, 2021 3:21 PM
Mar 2009
p0rkcandy said:
Was that suppose to be Golgo 13 in the cafe? Same profession, face and his favorite weapon.

Yes. Also Ah Jong from The Killer, El Mariachi from Robert Rodriguez's Mexico Trilogy, and I'm sure more that others will catch.

Lee Marvin in the 1964 adaptation of The Killers is likely part of the inspiration for Jigen, so this was a good fit.

Loved this episode, though I suspect like Oshii's VLAD LOVE from earlier this year, the super concentrated references won't be to everyone's taste.
Nov 7, 2021 12:42 AM

Nov 2008
Hemingway worship zzzzz. As a writer this episode reminded me of the importance of having characters DO things and not just talk each other to death. The most exciting part of the episode was seeing Fujiko dressed as Kurotokage in the next episode preview. Can't wait!
Nov 7, 2021 1:56 AM
Apr 2021
Idk.All of the one-shot episode writers recreates already written books,films.I think the part 4-which is still really bad for me- fillers are more interesting than these for god's sakešŸ˜° It is all these episode directors have!?At the beggining I thought that the main story won't included throught 20-24 episodes but I thought there will be another story thread like in pt 5 or something.Not full of fillers!!
Nov 7, 2021 5:50 AM

Jun 2014
The credit said this episode is written by Mamoru Oshii, no farking wonder it's so unique. And this on top of that, it's a pretty good one.

Too bad the animation for the latter half isn't quite consistent.

Also I quite prefer the fake Wendy persona of Fujiko, over herself.
Nov 7, 2021 6:28 AM

Nov 2016
I would love Fujko's bacon and egg for breakfast.

This episode was different, as expected. Really enjoyed the part in the diner.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 7, 2021 7:01 AM
Jan 2018
This felt more like Part 4 or classic Lupin. The gunfight was animated very well. It was a disappointing episode for me. I guess they really have no intention of serialization. That makes me sad.

I think the story would have worked better if Lupin and Co came in the aftermath and pieced together what happened. Then you get a bit more mystery. But that's just me. On the plus side, no shitty CGI to be found here.
Nov 7, 2021 7:54 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
p0rkcandy said:
Haha, yeah. Even the name was as close to a reference as you can get. Juzo Togo instead of Duke Togo. Honestly, I would love to see a huge showdown between those two legendary Japanese icons. The two most long running Japanese media characters of all time going head to head. Sadly, unlike Conan, Golgo 13 isn't under the same licensers as Lupin. Maybe one day they can do an official collaboration. That would be epic. However, the Togo in this episode spoke like 3 lines in total.....so it's probably not the same character. The real Golgo 13 never talks, haha. I didn't see him get shot, while I saw some others that did, so I am just going to use head canon to assume that "Golgo" survived, since he always does. That whole scene was very suspenseful.

Back to the topic of the whole episode, it was a little weak for a whole episode length, but it was still worth it for the Golgo 13 reference. A decent episode, and something that we haven't quite scene in Lupin before. Next week though seems to be a two part episode or possibly even a longer arc, since it has a "part 1" in the episode title. So I guess we will see.

In other news, the whole Lupin III: Part 6 soundtrack released this past week, and we got the full ED song and there is one other vocal track which is very good. It's called Foggy Love, vocals by Lyn Inaizumi. (Yay, another song with the word "love" in it to add to the Lupin soundtrack hall of fame!!!)

The Full ED, Milk Tea, vocals by Akari Dritschler, is also very good. There is a chance that there may be a second soudtrack released later for this season, as the last two seasons had two soundtracks as well, and there may be more great vocal tracks on that potential second album. For now, however, there is only this one OST track and the ED that are vocal tracks.

Edit: It has been confirmed on Yuji Ohno's Youtube channel that there will be a second album for the second cour. It will be titled "LUPIN THE THIRD PART 6 - WOMAN" and it will be released on January 26, 2022!
anime-primeFeb 26, 2022 10:14 AM
Nov 7, 2021 2:38 PM
Nov 2021
Jesus. This episode was legendary. It felt like a Tarantino movie. Yes there was lots of dialogue but the intrigue and shots, and tension, and atmosphere and most importantly the dialogue was ON POINT.

This is the best episode so far in Part 6. I think people are either used to dubs or nostalgic but so far I'd say Part 6 is better written than Part 4 (wtf was that). Part 5 however, is still the best, I like how part 5 was more linear and focused on the main story more and put the fillers after each mini story arc. But honestly many of the Part 5 filler episodes were worse or not even as good as the filler episodes in Part 6, I think Part 6's biggest sin so far is the main story hasn't had enough focus and isn't as interesting as Part 5's main story, but that can change quickly.

Overall this ep It got a bit self indulgent and pretentious with the exposition in the second half but it made sense to me idk, the meat of the episode was the Diner and it was great televsiion.
Nov 7, 2021 3:10 PM

Feb 2021
Oshii delivers once again. 5/5
Nov 7, 2021 3:22 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Not much happened in this episode except we get a classic scene in which Lupin and Jigen are disguised as assassins at the White Elephant with a bunch of other hired hit man. Should have known that Fujiko was disguised as the waiter. Interesting backstory on "The Killers" book that was written by Ernest Hemingway and how it was used as a cipher to decode messages. Like always Fujiko is the first one to obtain the rare copy of the book and she let the guy go instead of killing him. I think this one of the few times that Goemon is not present.

Next few episodes will be part of a mini arc and I can't wait to see it.

Nov 7, 2021 3:28 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
AddaeAkono said:
Not much happened in this episode except we get a classic scene in which Lupin and Jigen are disguised as assassins at the White Elephant with a bunch of other hired hit man. Should have known that Fujiko was disguised as the waiter. Interesting backstory on "The Killers" book that was written by Ernest Hemingway and how it was used as a cipher to decode messages. Like always Fujiko is the first one to obtain the rare copy of the book and she let the guy go instead of killing him. I think this one of the few times that Goemon is not present.

Not just no Goemon, but no Zenigata either. That's probably why it felt so unlike Lupin, since the whole crew wasn't together. I suspected it was Fujiko, but still not quite sure how she disguised her breast size, haha.
Nov 7, 2021 4:04 PM

Jan 2019
There were so many references in this episode. Not only was Hemingway's "The Killers" referenced, but this episode adapted this story and put its own twist on it. What's not to love?

Btw, the way it ended with Lupin and Jigen calling Fujiko's cooking shit is hilarious, had me dying XD. This episode was really good and I'm interested to see what's in store in the next one.
Nov 8, 2021 10:13 AM

Apr 2009
As usual, Oshii delivers. Great episode.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 8, 2021 11:07 AM

May 2018
This was more of a Manga Katsudou Daishashin episode (Golgo 13 appeared there too) than a Lupin III one.
Next time I guess we are getting something similar to that one Miyazaki episode from Lupin III Part II with the planes.
Nov 8, 2021 1:01 PM

Apr 2018
Episode with perfect atmosphere.
Nov 8, 2021 9:58 PM

Aug 2016
Love the vibe of the first half with the tense setup for a really kinetic shootout (reminiscent of GiTS2). I also love that Oshii is dropping deep cut CIA lore like Dulles and his unofficial control over American government (Read the Devil's Chessboard for more). But the pacing felt uneven. The action is frontloaded without context in the first half so you spend the remaining part explaining away (very interesting) things that would have been better conveyed if they just played it out in a non linear fashion. Cutting between Hemingway, Dulles, Anderson and the diner. This was definitely an episode better suited to being a 2 parter but oh well.

Decent job for Oshii, would've rather liked to see his surreal side that got hin kicked from the pink jacket Lupin movie though.
Nov 8, 2021 11:36 PM

Mar 2019
That was a really fun episode and my favorite of the season so far. The set up to the shootout was fun. The shootout scene was really cool visually. And I really liked the lore surrounding the book.

In addition to Dick Togo, Ah Jong, and El Mariacchi, I believe one of the guys is supposed to be Steven Seagal, and the guy with the chain gun car contraption maybe Walter White from Breaking Bad?
Nov 9, 2021 1:55 AM

Sep 2013
What a great episode

Still it felt like it was made for movies and novels buffs but it was very enjoyable nonetheless
Deep dark fantasies
Nov 9, 2021 9:45 PM
Nov 2018
figured the two guys were lupin and jigen, but didn't realize the waitress was fujiko haha. that was pretty entertaining.
Nov 9, 2021 9:52 PM

Oct 2008
those hired assassins was total carnage but they are just nobody compared to Lupin and Jigen!
and Fujiko's cooking sucks! HAHA!
5/5.

Nov 9, 2021 11:33 PM

Jun 2019
I liked it a lot. I'm totally down with non serialization Lupin for a while.
Nov 10, 2021 5:35 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
anime-prime said:
AddaeAkono said:

Not just no Goemon, but no Zenigata either. That's probably why it felt so unlike Lupin, since the whole crew wasn't together. I suspected it was Fujiko, but still not quite sure how she disguised her breast size, haha.

I wasn't even thinking about Zenigata because they didn't steal anything this time.lol. I listened to the Lupin III Part 6 soundtrack on Spotify and I liked Foggy Love along with Lupin vs. Holmes Parts 1&2.The full version of Milk Tea was good too like you said. I'm looking forward to hearing the soundtrack for the second cour.

Spotify has also put together a playlist dedicated to Lupin III with over three hours of music from the series and some of the movies. You'll end up hearing several versions of the Lupin theme. I recommend this playlist to anyone who is a Lupin III fan.
Nov 10, 2021 6:33 PM

Jun 2007
I really liked Oshii's tribute and own spin of Hemmingway's The Killers. Even when they overtly brought out the anthology book.

The voice overs for the two partners and the waitresses were great, too. Anyone know the voice actors for the two gents? The waitress sounded like Hikasa Youko.
Nov 14, 2021 9:59 AM

Jun 2014
Shibuya109 said:

The voice overs for the two partners and the waitresses were great, too. Anyone know the voice actors for the two gents? The waitress sounded like Hikasa Youko.

Yeah, Hikasa Youko is right:
https://web.archive.org/web/20211102160128/https://animageplus.jp/articles/detail/40263
Pretty sure those two are voiced by the same VA as Lupin and Jigen, the credit didn't list them separately, and their voices are kinda still there.
Nov 20, 2021 12:45 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode from Oshii. Fantastic writing on the first half, loved the dialogues.
Dec 21, 2021 7:22 PM

Oct 2017
eldylabor said:
Hemingway worship zzzzz. As a writer this episode reminded me of the importance of having characters DO things and not just talk each other to death. The most exciting part of the episode was seeing Fujiko dressed as Kurotokage in the next episode preview. Can't wait!

> hates Hemingway
> is "writer"
> is... wait for it... N** B*****

...Every. Single. Time. At this point I'm past rolling my eyes, because it's so boringly predictable. I could probably guess several things about you using nothing but your birth date and a crystal ball. Jeez.

We get it. You dislike Hemingway. Something something problematic white male writer. Yawn. I'm sure your novels & stories sell as well as Hemingway's. ^_^

- - - -

...AAAAnywayyyy. I loved this episode. Unlike some people, I actually have read Hemingway, and like most Cubans, I like his manly prose. While I'm here, I love both film versions of The Killers, the one with Burt Lancaster (1946) and the one with Lee Marvin (1964). Obviously the person quoted above has never seen them, hence being bored by all the "talk" which was entirely intentional, because that's literally the point? It's referencing The Killers, after all.

I weep for the future, where confused people hate Hemingway because it's edgy to do so but have never bothered to actually read his works or at the very least, watch old movies based on them. What a sad state of affairs.
Devil-FlamingoDec 21, 2021 8:04 PM
Jan 10, 2022 6:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The 1st half was great, and the shooting scene as well XD
Jan 22, 2022 3:49 PM

Dec 2016
Devil-Flamingo said:

...AAAAnywayyyy. I loved this episode. Unlike some people, I actually have read Hemingway, and like most Cubans, I like his manly prose. While I'm here, I love both film versions of The Killers, the one with Burt Lancaster (1946) and the one with Lee Marvin (1964). Obviously the person quoted above has never seen them, hence being bored by all the "talk" which was entirely intentional, because that's literally the point? It's referencing The Killers, after all.

So the point of Lupin & Jigen's verbal diarrhea was to bore the audience to death and we the audience should applaud such a bright idea? Wow, what's next, commercializing a pill that will make you blind with absolutely no upside and praise the pharma lab for such genious achievement?

A reference to an obscure movie that only snob and petulant people can understand? Way to go Oshii, this will definitely attract a ton more viewers to the franchise, oh wait, it doesn't work that way.

Devil-Flamingo said:

I weep for the future, where confused people hate Hemingway because it's edgy to do so but have never bothered to actually read his works or at the very least, watch old movies based on them. What a sad state of affairs.

But it's cool and edgy to speak with condescendency to others for not getting the reference of an obscure movie that serves no purpouse today other than inflate the ego of those who watched. Just like acting smug and almighty for reading Hemmingway, as if that grants you some kind of status or makes your word more important than others.
PS: it doesn't work that way, and no one gives a crap what you've read or watched, this isn't facebook for you to brag about your reading/watch achievements.
KimurahJan 22, 2022 4:01 PM
May 14, 2022 10:32 PM

Mar 2014
Damn, for a good few minutes it seemed like Fujiko just killed a depressed man in cold blood
May 15, 2022 9:36 AM
Mar 2022
Rewatching this episode for the dub I appreciated it more than I initially did. I absolutely love the Tarantino-esque first half and the action scene is one of the best in the entire part (though the standards aren't exactly high). And while I still maintain that the second half is an obnoxious exposition dump that would make Nolan proud. But in hindsight at least this episode stands out so much and is worth a rewatch depsite not being solid throughout. That's more than I can say for most Part 6 one-offs that's for sure.
Jan 9, 2023 5:11 PM
Jul 2010
I love when the scope of the stories gets small and personal.
Mar 11, 2023 11:59 AM

Dec 2021
Well.. I never thought I would see Lupin and Jigen staying within the same room for about 12 minutes straight. Honestly, I didn't enjoy this episode too much, but it's impressive that the writers actually did something that required the two main characters to remain within the same room for the first half of the episode.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. šŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 1, 11:43 AM

Nov 2007
Yup, this is definitely a Mamoru Oshii script. The lore behind using the book to encrypt messages was kind of interesting. There was a tense vibe with all the assassins at first, but this episode ultimately fell flat for me. Oshii likes creating slow and tense situations with a political/historical/technical backdrop. There was no emotional weight to this episode. Just a very simple, slightly interesting concept that ultimately felt wasted after the shootout. Nice to see Lars Von Trier and Zulawski namedropped in an anime though. Oshii suffers from referencing and relying on classic literature to carry his ideas occasionally. Maybe reading Hemingway's "The Killers" will give me a greater appreciation of this episode. 2/5

I do like how much the vibe/tone can change so much between episodes. You never know what you'll get.
DanishMay 1, 11:57 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 10 Discussion

anime-prime - Dec 18, 2021

36 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 2, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 2 Discussion

anizawa89 - Oct 23, 2021

27 by Shadowmon »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 1 Discussion

FMmatron - Oct 16, 2021

36 by AnneKoen »»
Oct 2, 2023 3:20 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 24 Discussion

anime-prime - Mar 26, 2022

23 by Mormegil »»
Nov 11, 2022 6:19 AM

» Does the modern seasons have nudity like in the old days?

Unleashed_SM - Oct 23, 2022

3 by MeVike »»
Oct 23, 2022 7:47 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.