Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2008 1:04 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was actually wondering what kind of episode was this, glad the ending made things clear.
Can't believe Johan is an university student =P
Hope we get more stuff revealed about him in the next episode.
Apr 7, 2008 1:16 PM

Feb 2008
This is definitely one of the highest points in the series. From here to like the mid 30's, it's really intense.
Oct 14, 2008 2:39 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, Johan is there. Haven't seen his face since like episode 4.
Dec 1, 2008 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
When they said the Thursday guy was handsome and blonde, I thought for sure it was Johan. Because you knew this story had to somehow tie back into the main story. So when I found out Johan was the Friday guy, I had already been preparing myself for a Johan appearance. And it's about damn time, too. They talk about him in every episode, yet we haven't seen him talk more than once way back when.
Feb 12, 2009 12:56 AM

Jul 2008
Johan Liebert!!
Jul 25, 2009 11:09 PM

Jan 2009
That chick looks awfully like Meg Griffen

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"-Steven Wright
Aug 10, 2009 12:43 PM

Jul 2009
I was wondering what the hell was going on for the entire ep because that guy and girl look suspiciously like Tenma and Eva so I thought it was a weird flashback...but now I know it's Johan's uni like they were talking about in the last ep; with him being a student.
Jan 28, 2010 9:34 AM

Sep 2009
One of my favorite episodes actually.
The beginning was meh, but it very intense later. Even if this is Karl's first episode, his character was developed very deeply.
Karl is an altruistic, honest student, respecting his family and it's pride. However, I see a conflict within him. (This might just be a script error, something creators just didn't think about) It seems that Karl does not care about money. He always speaks that he wants to find Edmund only to protect his mother's pride. But he is also economics major. As I said, this might be just a goof, but if it's not then Karl gets a little bit more complex personality. Either he was deceiving that girl all alone (although I don't see a point in doing so), or he is quite troubled inside. Another reason might be, that he just wants to earn money himself, not inherit it. This just accentuates his honesty.
And of course we see Johan in this episode. It was a long time since we some action from him. From almost the beginning of this episode I though that Johan was behind all this. But it seems that It was a different guy. The suicide however, might be connected to Johan. I still can't think of any reason why is he doing all of this since money is not a problem for Johan. However, there is a possibility, that the rich old guy is somehow connected to Johan's past. He might be one of the personnel in Kinderheim xxx (forgot the number), maybe even the authority. Another reason why is he after that man, is because he might have some crucial information for Johan's schemes. Like WWII plans or something like that. And I am pretty sure Johan is in this university only for the old man.
No sig :(
Apr 26, 2010 1:35 PM

Apr 2009
niiiice ending

Johan's voice actor is sweet
Aug 7, 2010 3:01 PM

Oct 2008
I thought this episode was useless , and was just about to close my eyes to have a short nap , when i noticed johann in the end . . That gave me the chills . Seriously . This guy is scary. . .
Oct 11, 2010 11:30 AM

Jun 2009
I knew this episode had to have something to do with the main plot and I thought that the thursday guy would be him when he was described. Then they found the guy hanged and, then, at the end of the episode Johann suddenly showed up. Interesting ending, who knows where it's going from here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2010 12:59 PM

Mar 2010
the note plays a key part in this part of the story

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 20, 2011 10:28 PM

Jun 2008
This was my least favorite episode of the series, until the ending. What an ending.
May 17, 2011 6:20 AM

Oct 2008
Omg, it's Johann. :O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 13, 2011 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
Good mindfuck..
Feb 21, 2012 10:18 PM

Mar 2009
It's cool when they opened the door and saw someone had hung himself.
Mar 13, 2012 12:37 PM

Mar 2010
so johan used the thursday guy lol
Sep 19, 2012 10:10 AM

Nov 2009
does anyone else find it weird that they consider Johann the master of evil basically? They see him worse than Hitler... But he has only been responsible for like 100 deaths (which I know is very bad) but saying that is worse than someone who lead to a war with over 24 million casualties and over 11 million innocents... Just saying, unless he gets a hold of some nukes I really don't see how he is the worst evil this world has ever known. On a side note, rather slow episode, don't care too much for episodes without Tenma in them.
Nov 9, 2012 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
does anyone else find it weird that they consider Johann the master of evil basically? They see him worse than Hitler... But he has only been responsible for like 100 deaths (which I know is very bad) but saying that is worse than someone who lead to a war with over 24 million casualties and over 11 million innocents... Just saying, unless he gets a hold of some nukes I really don't see how he is the worst evil this world has ever known. On a side note, rather slow episode, don't care too much for episodes without Tenma in them.

It's not about what he has done, but what he can achieve (and what he has done was already very bad). Johann has shown a monstrous aptitude to manipulate and kill others with a cold heart. Remember that guy that was beating up Dieter? He mentioned Johann saying something along the lines "I want to be the last survivor" while sitting on a chair watching the people of kindergarten 511 kill each other. Johann is a genius and efficient bad guy, and that is terrifying
I dislike cuteness, moe, lolis, romance, romantic comedies, slice of life, ecchi, harem, waifus and fan-service.
Dec 17, 2012 8:52 AM

Feb 2012
About Episode:

That old man was sure strict to that young boy. He tried his best to read latin. Afterall latin is world hardest languages so it's not easy to talk like pro in minute.

Lotte looked funny and she had huge sunglasses. she reminds me of Eva. Also that Karl guy reminds me Tenma. But only a little bit.

Interesting so some dude can control banks is this same dude that old man talked about if it is then this is getting good. So that kid has a 2 titles Howard Hughes of Bayern. Also he has another title Vampire of Bayern. And has no family seems like Lotte is talking about Johan maybe not??

Also Karl's mother name is Margot Langer. this might has to do maybe something with plot later I guess...So there is some weird letter that says stuff like

"In the penultimate intercalary year" The Thursday boy will visit land" All books will engulfed in flame" "And entirely world will be engulfed in sadness. Interesting. So this Thursday Boy is mentioning Johan I suppose. and this letter sounds like what Johan does usually put fear into people. And he is probably going to visit that university 1996 which is in this episode

So Karl and Lotte discovered this woman who is supposing acting Margot Langer. and Schuwald is paying her money for some reason. That scene with Karl and his real miom was so sad so his mother gave something for him..

So again one fake name for Johan. This time it's Edmund Fahren. So Johan was student in that university. So Karl has struggle against Johan. Because this is acting Karl to his parent. Good thing finally Schuwald accept Karl's latin.

So Edmund was found and is out of the game. Yay finally Johan made appearance after a long time.

Super awesome episode
5/5
Jan 27, 2013 8:03 PM
Aug 2012
I was interested why I'm watching the episode with some random character till the middle of the episode. But starting from the middle I started to understand It hase some connection with Johan, cause he's student after all. Ending was the most interesting cause he finally showed up.) Good episode...
Jan 28, 2013 8:48 AM

Jan 2012
I don't actually understand what is Johan's goal. He wastes his time killing off some unimportant regular people.

Feb 23, 2013 10:51 PM
Aug 2011
It's been a while ~Friday's~ Boy.
Mar 3, 2013 1:57 AM

Aug 2010
ownosourus said:
I don't actually understand what is Johan's goal. He wastes his time killing off some unimportant regular people.

Im pretty sure its stated that he wants to be the lone survivor of the world
Apr 18, 2013 7:59 PM

Nov 2012
Those goosebumps
Jun 23, 2013 11:27 AM

Feb 2012
New ED! Probably my favorite yet.
Aug 18, 2013 8:39 AM
May 2012
Finally Johann appeared and did someone saw the nudity I didn't expect that at all.
Oct 2, 2013 2:03 AM

Jul 2009
amazing episode!

and wow i thought Karl was voiced by

Kiuchi Hidenobu!! it was actually Seki, Tomokazu!!

both sounded similar! even the way they get depressed they sound almost the same XD

the Frank girl kinda reminds me of a megane version of Eva!

i thought the voiced of fake Margot Langer is Atsunoko Tanaka, then out of nowhere the real Margot Langer is voiced by Atsunoko Tanaka!!

i wonder if she changed her voice in the fake one :P

Karl really reminds me of Tenma XD he's really a good boy like Tenma ^^

Mr Schubert can really be cold, but i feel he already lost a lot over the years, so i don't blame him if he only knows money.

he seem to know Karl might be his real son ^^

i thought the thursday boy is Johan since one of the newspaper guys called him the Lightning guy or something that will bring destruction.

plus blonde as well!

did they try to trick him? or did Johan wanted to become the thursday?

finally Johan is here! why is he a university student O___O

next episode is gonna be ace!
Nov 13, 2013 11:52 AM

Jan 2011
finally Johann appears
Dec 10, 2013 9:49 PM

Sep 2011
Oh shit.
Jan 7, 2014 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
I was almost sleeping until johan appeared
. OMG
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 9, 2014 3:57 AM

May 2013
Johan really is a scary villain, god I fear for them now.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 9, 2014 4:44 PM

May 2013
Clever, Monster. Very clever.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Mar 18, 2014 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Oh shit, better watch out, Johann is back.
Mar 24, 2014 3:56 PM
May 2013
Rasco said:
the note plays a key part in this part of the story

Apologies if I'm being very stupid here but what note? Is it the one that the newspaper journalists discuss?
danc93Mar 24, 2014 4:00 PM
May 19, 2014 2:47 PM

Apr 2012
lol I guess I wasn't the only one that thought this was suppose to be a flashback.

The character designs are so damn similar ~.~ Finally Johan makes an appearance

Jun 23, 2014 3:23 PM
Mar 2014
johans voice actor is creepy....great episode hope things get even better from here on out.
Aug 4, 2014 6:41 PM

Mar 2014
I actually like these kind of episodes, for some reason i still found it very interesting even though it was about characters we hadn't seen/known anything about till know.

It was also interesting seeing Johan this episode.
Aug 30, 2014 10:41 PM

Jan 2014
This series does an amazing job of establishing characters very well in very short amounts of time.
Sep 4, 2014 9:32 AM

Mar 2013
zacrathedemon5 said:
This series does an amazing job of establishing characters very well in very short amounts of time.

This. And that's why every episode (for me at least) has been good/great/amazing so far. Even when it's an episode that focuses on completely new side characters and such, it still manages to be interesting. Sure, episodes with Tenma in them are still the best, but these are great too. As long as it ties in with the main plot in some way, it works.
Oct 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Nov 2011
The nude pics were totally unnecessary. At least I'm finally past that. ~.~

The girl is a bit too nosy. Anyway, I had a feeling Thursday Boy would end up being Johan; that was a good red herring. The preview looks like it has more of him, so the next episodes could be... different.

Does anyone else think the pictorial story in the ED might have some sort of relation to the actual story?
Dec 22, 2014 1:32 PM

Aug 2014
When I heard Johan's voice I had a weird mixture of fear and fangirling. Aside from him I wonder what purpose Karl has, seeing as he appears in the next ep.
Dec 27, 2014 10:46 PM

Feb 2013
Wha-what what's happening here? This is getting more and more complicated uwu

Anyways, hello Johan :3 it's really nice to see you again
Feb 1, 2015 12:45 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was extremely boring...UNTIL JOHAN APPEARED!

No but really this episode was the worst episode in the anime so far.

Is it just me or was this episode really confusing or was it just because it was so boring that I didn't even bother to pay attention?

Boobs and ass boobs and ass boobs and ass

5/10

Feb 13, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2013
Oh man, Johan is there ! Finally we could see his face again.
Feb 14, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2014
What what what what!! Long time since last time we saw you Johan!
I was quite interested in this episode from the beginning regardless of its relation to the main story, and like most of you guys I thought Thursday guy was Johan but Wow!

and what? Johan studies in uni like normal students? really?!
Mar 29, 2015 4:48 AM
Nov 2014
Average episode until Johan appeared at the end.
Apr 20, 2015 3:14 AM

Mar 2014
That brilliant ending scene totally made me go Hodor mode after the rest of the episode nearly put me to sleep. Just instead of "Hodor" I kept repeating

"Johan Johan Johan Johan JOHANN" :O
Jun 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Apr 2015
Ahhhh, new characters.

Ahhhh, that's not his real mama.

Ahhhh, the man don't know that's his son. He called him Norman.

even more AHHHHHH JOHAN!!!!

Man, I love the art work they display at the end of each episode. We got a new piece of the story :)

---------------------------------

unclesnapple said:
When they said the Thursday guy was handsome and blonde, I thought for sure it was Johan. Because you knew this story had to somehow tie back into the main story. So when I found out Johan was the Friday guy, I had already been preparing myself for a Johan appearance. And it's about damn time, too. They talk about him in every episode, yet we haven't seen him talk more than once way back when.

Ikr! I just knew Johan was the Thursday boy & when the young man who committed suicide forgot his name that quick came to our attention, I just assumed he was working for Johan.

nerohigh said:
That chick looks awfully like Meg Griffen

Anime Meg <3
NiariMoonJun 14, 2015 4:23 PM
Jul 12, 2015 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.