Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 19, 2021 5:05 AM

Jan 2021
Porzio said:
I like Pandora Hearts, but this I’m not enjoying this too much so far ngl, the concept is kinda boring and there’s not much I’m looking forward to for the next episodes

slow start with an introduction.
it'll get better and better and more interesting as it goes
but if it'll still be boring for you even after a few more episodes then it cant be helped.
Jul 19, 2021 6:13 AM

Mar 2012
DarkBlueMoooon said:
Maou_heika said:
3 episodes in and this isn't anything special for all the hype for this series. And I don't like forced kisses.

I don't think anyone would like to be forcefully kissed including myself, but as manga reader I understand why Vanitas did that and it goes back to the core of his characters in the story. His character and the way he acts isn't meant to be always done is a good manner but at the same time not in a pure evil manner as well. The author creates characters with depth to make them much more realistic. By that I mean, there is no way on earth you would find a human who never does anything wrong or is always sacrificing for others because simply humans are not one dimensional beings and there are so many factors the play into every single decision and act we perform whether it being wrong or right.

As a manga reader and a huge fan of the author's work, she intentionally makes her characters do something flawed without justifying it as right but rather through other characters mentioning how the act was "bad". In my opinion, this aspect is very realistic to me because it brings the character closer to human and the psychology aspect of it.

I hope the makes sense in a way because Vanitas character has so much depth to it and you begin to understand more as you proceed with the story and realize why he is who he is.
If it's not justified then why was she blushing so much?
Jul 19, 2021 7:01 AM

Mar 2020
234Mannan said:
Xerx62 said:

What will not be the case? I don't really understand what you are saying.
A kiss without consent IS sexual harrassment lmao.
And I don't care WHY he did it (though what you are saying didn't seem to be the case anyway, she already stopped before the kiss, and was powerless, as you said), it was disgusting nevertheless.
I dont know homw many times i wil have to repeat this though but
It was done to shock the viewers and to give us insight regarding vanitas that there is a much darker side to him and he is certainly not a gentle man...
Its not showing that this was a good act. I mean everyone thinks he is a jerk? The thing is vanitas character is quiet complex and follows the concepts of self hatered and most of his actions are unjustifiable.. Unlike Oz from pandora hearts who was touched with this subject in a different manner, Vanitas is a completely different case.
About my first statement, my point was considering u love pandora hearts, this story is quiet similar in tone, themes and complexity to PH and ngl, the director made some of the scenes way more sexual then they actually were. But that is a thing with vampire stories. and one more point
It was done in order to throw her off guard and that made sure that she wont attack them in the end too. So vanitas accomplished his objective but the method was wrong though it was right in his case..considering he is a jerk(For a very good reason)
And i would urge u to have some faith in the author bro...(I mean it should be clear that she doesnt do typical and breaks alot of troupes) As for the blood sucking scenes u can skip the starting or them completely if it makes u uneasy?

I understand that perhaps it was supposed to be showing that Vanitas is a 'bad guy' but that's completely not how it came across to me. Not at all. His actions weren't really condemned (even when before that scene the other guys were like "he's such a jerk"...it was in a comedic manner), the girl was blushing that usually does not imply being creeped out in anime. The visual effects, everything just made it seem like this is some kinda romantical and comedic scene. That is my problem.
About the tone and themes being similar to Pandora Hearts...so far I can't see it.

Serawii said:

vanitas isn't a good man, he's actually a jerk at times. but all of this adds to his character but hey, if you hate him then you hate him and you probably wont really change your mind even after you know more about him and why he's the way he is
if you also cant handle the more "sexual" scenes where the vampires suck the blood (the director did make it more sexual than it should've been but even in the manga, its not really supposed to hurt but...*spoilers* i will stop
anyways, if you have so many problems with the anime already and cant handle it then its better to drop it.
the leash part did make me laugh tho, it seems like people are so sensitive about it when they dont even know the real reason behind it. and its not even that bad, without a reason but whatever

It's not that I "can't handle" the sexual scenes, it's more like I found it unfitting, unnecessarry and weird and out of the blue. He was just looking into her memories, it wasn't supposed to be sexual, right.
About the leash it just rubbed me the wrong way after all the other things that happened in this episode. And they didn't share the reason for it either in the episode so...
Xerx62Jul 19, 2021 7:17 AM
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Jul 19, 2021 7:18 AM

Nov 2019
Maou_heika said:

She was introduced before as someone. When the child told her to calm down and said she's not that monster anymore, she had a certain reaction. Please, don't keep watching fiction with a one-track mind, or rather using zero brain. You should know why she would blush.

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 19, 2021 7:23 AM
Oct 2018
Notenotch said:
Honestly, as someone that loves this manga and Jun Mochizuki's works, I can't get behind this episode.

Alright, I will go through the positive first, because even though I didn't like how this episode was handled overall, I had one thing I really liked. That was the Charlatan Parade scene, it really did an excellent job in what it set out to do, which was disturb and creep you out, I loved it, the shots, the voice acting. SPOILER NAME was absolutely terrifying, and I loved that.

But this episode was totally rushed. Content was cut everywhere, in what I can only assume was an attempt to get to the Bal Masque arc faster, but rushing an already complicated and confusing story is going to do nothing but confuse those viewers even more. Jun Mochizuki's stories shine when viewers are able to take the time to ponder over and appreciate them. In my opinion this episode should have added more to the fight and details of the story, and ended with Dominique's introduction. Going to Altus should have happened in the next episode.

Now the elephant in the room, the Vanitas and Jeanne kissing scene. I understand the intention, Vanitas is a jerk, and thinks himself despicable and disgusting, so he acts in such a way that makes people despise and hate him. The kiss scene does a great job of showing the jerkish side of Vanitas, and does tell the viewers that though he's technically the protagonist and "hero" of the story, he isn't exactly a man of strong moral character. But I think the animation went too far. The scene lasted far too long, and the cuts to the other character's reactions seemed like a cheap attempt to try to lighten a frankly disgusting action. Yes, I know it's almost 1:1 with the manga, but you're also able to get through the scene much faster then the anime's version. When I was watching that scene, it gave me the same vibes as the infamous Asuna scenes from SAO (You know the ones). Not something I wanted to be feeling in an adaptation of one of my favorite stories. This is one scene that I felt should have been severely shortened, skipping Vanitas' creepy licking of Jeanne, skipping the reaction of the other characters, and instead going straight into his confession, immediately followed by Luca's retaliation. The point was made immediately when Vanitas kissed Jeanne without consent, everything else was totally unnecessary and disturbing.

Thankfully, there should be no other scenes like that coming, but I think I will opt to skip this episode in preference of reading the manga when I eventually rewatch.

Best explanation for why that scene was extra uncomfortable. Also, the anime adds to that feeling with colour, sound etc. it's much more vivid, than the grey manga (which you can scroll past quickly as you pointed out). For all the cutting they have done, why not this?
Jul 19, 2021 7:32 AM

Mar 2012
Laplace_kun said:
Maou_heika said:

She was introduced before as someone. When the child told her to calm down and said she's not that monster anymore, she had a certain reaction. Please, don't keep watching fiction with a one-track mind, or rather using zero brain. You should know why she would blush.

Yes the MC forcibly kisses someone and she blushes logic!
Jul 19, 2021 7:40 AM

Nov 2019
@Xerx62 A lot of these things are purely your personal problems. Like Jeanne clearly tried to roast Vanitas alive like his life has no value before, and now that he kissed her, you loose your mind because the show makes it look 'comedic'?

The lighting, music, everything gave a hint of irony and twistedness. Vanitas looked like an a$$hole due to his voice actor. The onlookers and Noé couldn't say much except deciding he's a lost case of scum. Noé barely could hear anything from his position. He's simple-minded, and he didn't have the chance to totally grasp the situation either.

Meanwhile, the others thought this monster of a bourreau will turn Vanitas into mincemeat, but Vanitas turned the tables. They were disgusted, but they were also awed. And they couldn't immediately think of defending someone who killed thousand of their own kind. At this rate, looks like you need director's commentary while watching the show.

If you have seen
(not really a spoiler, these things already happened and you just didn't pay attention or think about it, dismissing them as KOMEDY), you could have figured out the reason behind the leash... And you didn't even wait to find out what is the relationship between Domi and Noé before deciding they will be like the couple in your neighborhood...

And of course, I won't be talking about the bloodsucking part, because duh, they haven't explained it's mechanics yet. But ofc, that was purely your problem, and I will not judge.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 19, 2021 7:43 AM

Nov 2019
Maou_heika said:
Laplace_kun said:

That's just you proving yourself finally to be what I said by not properly reading my comment.
Jul 19, 2021 7:50 AM

Mar 2020
@Laplace_kun

Yeah of course even though various people expressed dislike about the kissing scene, even some manga readers, clearly it is only my personal problem.
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Jul 19, 2021 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
Laplace_kun said:
Maou_heika said:

That's just you proving yourself finally to be what I said by not properly reading my comment.
Can't you read? My reply was in context to DarkBlueMoooon's comment. Stop being a dick to everyone who doesn't like your shitty series.
Jul 19, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2019
Maou_heika said:
Laplace_kun said:

Can't you read? My reply was in context to DarkBlueMoooon's comment. Stop being a dick to everyone who doesn't like your shitty series.

You quoted me, I read my notification and read rubbish, so I replied. Yeah, you are not going anywhere by calling me a dick for you have nothing to reply to a logical comment. My series, huh? You honor me. Jokes aside, you can try an entire spectrum - from complaining in Twitter to emailing Jun sensei, instead of lazily calling something shitty without any sound logic.
Jul 19, 2021 8:43 AM
Feb 2009
Cathen99 said:
Eraser_stp said:
I don’t understand why you guys should turn on full SJW mode, trying to fit the kissing scene into modern western puritanical moral norms. It is normal to try to kill a person, but kissing without a notarized written consent is the end of the world and the collapse of all bright ideals, heh?

I don't think barely anyone has actually reacted the way you insinuate, so I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

Okay, it seems to me my point is still valid.
Jul 19, 2021 10:54 AM
Dec 2011
I'd kiss that girl vampire too she's hot T_T

EDIT: LOL at all the SJW's hating on the kiss scene. They have probably never been kissed before. How many times do you ask before kissing?

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Also it was probably more than JUST a kiss.
jalsadfafaJul 19, 2021 11:06 AM
Jul 19, 2021 11:46 AM

Mar 2020
Maou_heika said:
Laplace_kun said:

Imagine someone of the opposite sex or the same sex kisses u in such a manner. How will u react? SLap? yeah jeane was paralzed. Blushing would be automatic considering the harmones in your body and everything but this isnt a biology lecture so use some common sense, and that kiss was done to threw her off her game, it worked considering it was her first in hundreds of years...
234MannanJul 20, 2021 12:59 AM
Jul 19, 2021 12:46 PM

Jul 2020
It will definitely be interesting to see what happens next now that Noe, Vanitas, and Domi are in Altus Paris
Jul 19, 2021 1:05 PM

Jan 2021
Maou_heika said:
Laplace_kun said:

cuz something like that never happened to her, im sure more people said that here.
and people have different reactions to things, her's was that...its really not that hard to understand
but really, if you're thrown off by this you are free to drop it and move on
Jul 19, 2021 1:16 PM

Apr 2020
Notenotch said:
Honestly, as someone that loves this manga and Jun Mochizuki's works, I can't get behind this episode.

Now the elephant in the room, the Vanitas and Jeanne kissing scene. I understand the intention, Vanitas is a jerk, and thinks himself despicable and disgusting, so he acts in such a way that makes people despise and hate him. The kiss scene does a great job of showing the jerkish side of Vanitas, and does tell the viewers that though he's technically the protagonist and "hero" of the story, he isn't exactly a man of strong moral character. But I think the animation went too far. The scene lasted far too long, and the cuts to the other character's reactions seemed like a cheap attempt to try to lighten a frankly disgusting action. Yes, I know it's almost 1:1 with the manga, but you're also able to get through the scene much faster then the anime's version. When I was watching that scene, it gave me the same vibes as the infamous Asuna scenes from SAO (You know the ones). Not something I wanted to be feeling in an adaptation of one of my favorite stories. This is one scene that I felt should have been severely shortened, skipping Vanitas' creepy licking of Jeanne, skipping the reaction of the other characters, and instead going straight into his confession, immediately followed by Luca's retaliation. The point was made immediately when Vanitas kissed Jeanne without consent, everything else was totally unnecessary and disturbing.

Thankfully, there should be no other scenes like that coming, but I think I will opt to skip this episode in preference of reading the manga when I eventually rewatch.

I agree so much. The scene went beyond the point it was trying to make.
Jul 19, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2021
Xerx62 said:
234Mannan said:
I dont know homw many times i wil have to repeat this though but
It was done to shock the viewers and to give us insight regarding vanitas that there is a much darker side to him and he is certainly not a gentle man...
Its not showing that this was a good act. I mean everyone thinks he is a jerk? The thing is vanitas character is quiet complex and follows the concepts of self hatered and most of his actions are unjustifiable.. Unlike Oz from pandora hearts who was touched with this subject in a different manner, Vanitas is a completely different case.
About my first statement, my point was considering u love pandora hearts, this story is quiet similar in tone, themes and complexity to PH and ngl, the director made some of the scenes way more sexual then they actually were. But that is a thing with vampire stories. and one more point
It was done in order to throw her off guard and that made sure that she wont attack them in the end too. So vanitas accomplished his objective but the method was wrong though it was right in his case..considering he is a jerk(For a very good reason)
And i would urge u to have some faith in the author bro...(I mean it should be clear that she doesnt do typical and breaks alot of troupes) As for the blood sucking scenes u can skip the starting or them completely if it makes u uneasy?

I understand that perhaps it was supposed to be showing that Vanitas is a 'bad guy' but that's completely not how it came across to me. Not at all. His actions weren't really condemned (even when before that scene the other guys were like "he's such a jerk"...it was in a comedic manner), the girl was blushing that usually does not imply being creeped out in anime. The visual effects, everything just made it seem like this is some kinda romantical and comedic scene. That is my problem.
About the tone and themes being similar to Pandora Hearts...so far I can't see it.

Serawii said:

vanitas isn't a good man, he's actually a jerk at times. but all of this adds to his character but hey, if you hate him then you hate him and you probably wont really change your mind even after you know more about him and why he's the way he is
if you also cant handle the more "sexual" scenes where the vampires suck the blood (the director did make it more sexual than it should've been but even in the manga, its not really supposed to hurt but...*spoilers* i will stop
anyways, if you have so many problems with the anime already and cant handle it then its better to drop it.
the leash part did make me laugh tho, it seems like people are so sensitive about it when they dont even know the real reason behind it. and its not even that bad, without a reason but whatever

It's not that I "can't handle" the sexual scenes, it's more like I found it unfitting, unnecessarry and weird and out of the blue. He was just looking into her memories, it wasn't supposed to be sexual, right.
About the leash it just rubbed me the wrong way after all the other things that happened in this episode. And they didn't share the reason for it either in the episode so...

but then again, even if the anime adds to the sexual part

its really how the author wanted to take on it so it wont stop being like this.

and as someone else said, you could've realized the reason yourself but even if you didnt...why is that scene affecting you anyways ? its nothing that deep
Jul 19, 2021 1:29 PM

Apr 2020
jaredross said:

EDIT: LOL at all the SJW's hating on the kiss scene. They have probably never been kissed before. How many times do you ask before kissing?

Um, why are they SJWs? The scene was a nonconsensual kiss, most people are bound to be taken aback by it, especially if you haven't already established an understanding of their dynamics through the manga.
Jul 19, 2021 1:52 PM

Aug 2018
jaredross said:

It is very unambiguously portrayed as a sexual assault scene. You just have poor comprehension.
Jul 19, 2021 1:58 PM
Dec 2011
joesque said:
jaredross said:

Um, why are they SJWs? The scene was a nonconsensual kiss, most people are bound to be taken aback by it, especially if you haven't already established an understanding of their dynamics through the manga.

I don't recall her saying no or doing anything that would make it seem like she didn't want to be kissed.
Jul 19, 2021 1:58 PM
Dec 2011
myaoya said:
jaredross said:

It is very unambiguously portrayed as a sexual assault scene. You just have poor comprehension.

When did she say no or stop. All she did was blush that doesn't seem like sexual assault. YOU have poor comprehension
Jul 19, 2021 2:10 PM

Apr 2020
jaredross said:
joesque said:

I don't recall her saying no or doing anything that would make it seem like she didn't want to be kissed.

Lack of verbal retaliation isn't indicative of consent. She teared up. I can't believe this anime is attracting people who'd grab and kiss randos w no warning with zero concepts of what constitutes sexual harassment, lmao.

https://powertodecide.org/sexual-health/your-sexual-health/articles-about-healthy-sex-life/was-it-rape-thinking-about-consent

https://clevelandrapecrisis.org/resources/resource-library/featured/rape-myths/
Jul 19, 2021 2:17 PM
Dec 2011
joesque said:
jaredross said:

Lack of verbal retaliation isn't indicative of consent. She teared up. I can't believe this anime is attracting people who'd grab and kiss randos w no warning with zero concepts of what constitutes sexual harassment, lmao.

https://powertodecide.org/sexual-health/your-sexual-health/articles-about-healthy-sex-life/was-it-rape-thinking-about-consent

Lol she never in this episode said she didn't want it. How do you know she didn't? If the genders were switched you probably wouldn't even be all angry. Anf besides all that ITS FICTION. AND ANIME.
Jul 19, 2021 2:20 PM

Apr 2020
jaredross said:
joesque said:

Lol she never in this episode said she didn't want it. How do you know she didn't? If the genders were switched you probably wouldn't even be all angry. Anf besides all that ITS FICTION. AND ANIME.

I have been angry and I will be angry when the genders are switched.

In anime (or reality) you usually know she didn't want it when she fucking cries, limps up, clearly doesn't reciprocate or look happy in the moment, and immediately flees the scene saying she'll kill him. :)
Jul 19, 2021 2:25 PM
Dec 2011
joesque said:
jaredross said:

In anime (or reality) you usually know she didn't want it when she fucking cries, limps up, clearly doesn't reciprocate or look happy in the moment, and immediately flees the scene saying she'll kill him. :)

She could just be tsundere XD
Jul 19, 2021 2:34 PM

Mar 2021
jaredross said:
joesque said:

She tried to push him, then cried and said I will kill you. She blushed because she had never kissed before. She clearly hated it. But ok keep denying

Jul 19, 2021 2:36 PM
Dec 2011
meyve said:
jaredross said:

She tried to push him, then cried and said I will kill you. She blushed because she had never kissed before. She clearly hated it. But ok keep denying

"B-baka It's not like I enjoyed that! You're dead next time! "
BASICALLY what happened
Jul 19, 2021 2:52 PM

Apr 2020
jaredross said:
joesque said:

"She secretly likes it! I just know it!"

Sexual harassment mindset right there ew
Jul 19, 2021 3:23 PM

Mar 2021
joesque said:
jaredross said:

They are one of the type of people who says "If he's handsome enjoy it even if it's rape" I guess?

Speaking as a manga reader, Vanitas did this to stop her from fighting and get rid of her, tho it wasn't a lie that he liked her, but that still doesn't change the fact that it was sexual harassment. But I don't think it's such a big deal, he only kissed hee. In the animes, when there's blood and violence, people say "wow cool" but it's a problem when someone just kisses someone else forcibly?

Jul 19, 2021 8:23 PM
Feb 2009
jaredross said:

I think it depends on the age, I'm not an ageist, but young people now have a fragile psyche. In old times, if a guy kissed a girl, and she did not liked it, she just beat him with a frying pan and kicked him out of the village, and now she goes to a psychologist even if she was looked at on the street with "undressing eyes."
Jul 19, 2021 9:41 PM
Feb 2018
joesque said:
jaredross said:

War, genocide, fighting, shooting guns in anime: wow thats's cool

Forced kiss in anime: ew you're the worst human ever

Hahahahah
Jul 20, 2021 2:57 AM

Oct 2017
Vanitas is a man of culture, big oof for Jeanne lmao.

Noé can see other's memories eh, that's a useful ability. Also I really liked his childhood friend Dominique, she's amusing af and pretty too.
Jul 20, 2021 4:21 AM

Apr 2017
234Mannan said:
Maou_heika said:
Imagine someone of the opposite sex or the same sex kisses u in such a manner. How will u react? SLap? yeah jeane was paralzed. Blushing would be automatic considering the harmones in your body and everything but this isnt a biology lecture so use some common sense, and that kiss was done to threw her off her game, it worked considering it was her first in hundreds of years...

Thank you! for some reason people where so confused about the blush and complicating things when it is a natural reaction and should be understood immediately.
Jul 20, 2021 4:27 AM

Apr 2020
firstawahono said:
joesque said:

Hahahahah

It's almost as if all of them are bad but one is a socially sensitive issue claiming around 780 mil victims of the present population (1:3). It's almost as if sexual crime issues deal with perpetrators not having clear boundaries which is why these themes are asked to be dealt with tactfully, whereas murder, guns and genocide are split definitively into crime, justice or defense which makes it easier to build narratives around them. It's almost as if anime-comic conventions deal with rampant sexual harassment and not mass shootings. It's almost as if sexual harassment is used in media laxly for gags while genocide almost always finds deeper context.

Next yall will say "murder ok, some pedophilia not okay? hah SJW!"
joesqueJul 20, 2021 4:30 AM
Jul 20, 2021 4:44 AM

May 2021
joesque said:
firstawahono said:

Hahahahah

It's almost as if all of them are bad but one is a socially sensitive issue claiming around 780 mil victims of the present population (1:3). It's almost as if sexual crime issues deal with perpetrators not having clear boundaries which is why these themes are asked to be dealt with tactfully, whereas murder, guns and genocide are split definitively into crime, justice or defense which makes it easier to build narratives around them. It's almost as if anime-comic conventions deal with rampant sexual harassment and not mass shootings. It's almost as if sexual harassment is used in media laxly for gags while genocide almost always finds deeper context.

I also dislike sexual harassment but I dont think that this anime is something to throw a fit to. Vanitas is portrayed as an excentric guy living by rules that are clearly out of the realm that we live on currently (Or we have vampires with not human powers?), so it is not necessarily ableing sexual harassment in a positive light but showing it as a part of what the character would do. So it is not morally wrong by my perspective because the story doesnt show itself supporting such actions, it is just shown as an circumstance of the own character in its own given context, like murder in some animes does

Jul 20, 2021 5:03 AM

Nov 2019
joesque said:

It's a pretty defective way of thinking while watching fiction. You have seen three episodes of this anime, Jeanne's mindset or personality hasn't been explored yet - you are bringing a fictional character, creating your own twisted image of her, and sympathizing in a weird way. If it's your personal problem, I won't mind - I don't have the right to... All I can suggest is to drop this and watch something you are more mentally equipped to.
NOBODY lauded Vanitas for his scummy act in the show, and the scene was presented in a way that actually made even some manga readers uncomfortable. Which shows how the show successfully conveys such an event to be creepy. There are also people who are saying blush=she loved it and that is bs too, because, physical stimulation is not equal to sexual consent.

Also love it how you socially responsible citizens find oxygen in anime forums when in real life you don't even care except for posting angry rants in Twitter. I don't specifically mean you, but don't bring irrelevant things to fiction, especially if you are wrongly evaluating it.

At least my chad lady Jeanne doesn't need your sympathy.
Jul 20, 2021 5:20 AM

Apr 2020
Laplace_kun said:
joesque said:

It's a pretty defective way of thinking while watching fiction. You have seen three episodes of this anime, Jeanne's mindset or personality hasn't been explored yet - you are bringing a fictional character, creating your own twisted image of her, and sympathizing in a weird way. If it's your personal problem, I won't mind - I don't have the right to... All I can suggest is to drop this and watch something you are more mentally equipped to.
NOBODY lauded Vanitas for his scummy act in the show, and the scene was presented in a way that actually made even some manga readers uncomfortable. Which shows how the show successfully conveys such an event to be creepy. There are also people who are saying blush=she loved it and that is bs too, because, physical stimulation is not equal to sexual consent.

Also love it how you socially responsible citizens find oxygen in anime forums when in real life you don't even care except for posting angry rants in Twitter. I don't specifically mean you, but don't bring irrelevant things to fiction, especially if you are wrongly evaluating it.

At least my chad lady Jeanne doesn't need your sympathy.

I don't have Twitter, I'm involved in social work irl too, my whole family is. Do I finally get a pass to criticise anime now? If you want me to show you people calling Vanitas a badass/chad, sure.
If the anime itself is trying to deal with these topics I don't see why the audience cannot comment on it? Are we just supposed to absorb the content and not think? The "angry rant" set you off but others saying Jeanne probably enjoyed it doesn't? Was it Jun Mochizuki's intention to make it look like Jeanne was enjoying it in the moment?

As for the comment you're quoting to: I don't see where I've sympathized with Jeanne, I'm replying to the comment explaining why certain things like sexual harrasment are treated differently in media, it's discourse about the THEME and not the CHARACTERS.
joesqueJul 20, 2021 5:38 AM
Jul 20, 2021 5:28 AM

Apr 2020
Gween_Gween said:
joesque said:

I also dislike sexual harassment but I dont think that this anime is something to throw a fit to. Vanitas is portrayed as an excentric guy living by rules that are clearly out of the realm that we live on currently (Or we have vampires with not human powers?), so it is not necessarily ableing sexual harassment in a positive light but showing it as a part of what the character would do. So it is not morally wrong by my perspective because the story doesnt show itself supporting such actions, it is just shown as an circumstance of the own character in its own given context, like murder in some animes does

Hey, thanks for being civil and willing to discuss calmly. I don't think anyone is throwing a fit over the kiss, most people are thrown off by the tone of the scene and the way the direction of said scene happened. It has split the fanbase into:

"The forced kiss scene was necessary to show us that Vanitas is a dark character, that he is capable of such lengths, that he isn't just a happy goof!"

and

"The kiss was hot, it wasn't even sexual harrasment! What Vanitas did was no big deal, he's still our lovable MC."

I loved the anime so far, but that particular scene either relayed the message it was intending to or it sent a different one.
Jul 20, 2021 5:44 AM

Mar 2012
234Mannan said:
Maou_heika said:
Blushing is not common sense, I most certainly would have slapped or kicked and tried to push him off.
Jul 20, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2013
So, we learned something about Noé: he can see someone's memories through their blood. I loved the Parade of Charlatan scene, so creepy.

Dominique de Sade being the daughter of/named after Marquis de Sade, wow! I wonder why she put Noé on a chain. Vanitas intelligently picked up that she wants to separate Noé from Vanitas (is it jealousy or protection or something else? hm)
Jul 20, 2021 7:47 AM

Jan 2021
I've found my best girl
Jul 20, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2019
joesque said:

I don't have Twitter, I'm involved in social work irl too, my whole family is. Do I finally get a pass to criticise anime now?

Don't twist my words. I am telling you aren't criticizing, you are finding fault at a stage where you don't have enough information. It's just being wrong.

If you want me to show you people calling Vanitas a badass/chad, sure.

I meant IN THE SHOW.

If the anime itself is trying to deal with these topics I don't see why the audience cannot comment on it? Are we just supposed to absorb the content and not think?

Yes you filled a whole section of this thread with your comments, and so I also have the right to point out things. Nobody told you stop writing. In fact, I am encouraging you to think, but not in an one track mind. Fiction isn't about reacting without reflecting. Of course you can still say who the hell I am to do so.

The "angry rant" set you off but others saying Jeanne probably enjoyed it doesn't? Was it Jun Mochizuki's intention to make it look like Jeanne was enjoying it in the moment?

Those who are saying Jeanne enjoyed it aren't fully right either. I don't know whether they are serious or just shitposting, so can't waste time on them. You have presented your problems articulately, so I thought it's worth to write a reply. You don't know Jeanne fully now. You don't know in what manner she 'enjoyed' it. I also mentioned how physical stimulation is not equal to sexual consent. What was Jun's intentions will be clear to you as you watch the show, so you can start by being patient and then even start a new thread based on the final dissatisfaction.

As for the comment you're quoting to: I don't see where I've sympathized with Jeanne, I'm replying to the comment explaining why certain things like sexual harrasment are treated differently in media, it's discourse about the THEME and not the CHARACTERS.

I agree on that (THEME), but you picked the wrong show. Here most characters are twisted, morals are questionable, and the story just barely began. It also brings questions like what a monster people might be treating Jeanne as if they don't condemn Vani more intensely.

Yes I am replying to you because I expect you to understand. Like I can reply to several other shitty messages in here, but that'll be a waste of time. Nothing is to be taken personally. But communication is important.
Jul 20, 2021 8:53 AM

Apr 2020
Laplace_kun said:
joesque said:

I don't have Twitter, I'm involved in social work irl too, my whole family is. Do I finally get a pass to criticise anime now?

Don't twist my words. I am telling you aren't criticizing, you are finding fault at a stage where you don't have enough information. It's just being wrong.

If you want me to show you people calling Vanitas a badass/chad, sure.

I meant IN THE SHOW.

If the anime itself is trying to deal with these topics I don't see why the audience cannot comment on it? Are we just supposed to absorb the content and not think?

Yes you filled a whole section of this thread with your comments, and so I also have the right to point out things. Nobody told you stop writing. In fact, I am encouraging you to think, but not in an one track mind. Fiction isn't about reacting without reflecting. Of course you can still say who the hell I am to do so.

The "angry rant" set you off but others saying Jeanne probably enjoyed it doesn't? Was it Jun Mochizuki's intention to make it look like Jeanne was enjoying it in the moment?

Those who are saying Jeanne enjoyed it aren't fully right either. I don't know whether they are serious or just shitposting, so can't waste time on them. You have presented your problems articulately, so I thought it's worth to write a reply. You don't know Jeanne fully now. You don't know in what manner she 'enjoyed' it. I also mentioned how physical stimulation is not equal to sexual consent. What was Jun's intentions will be clear to you as you watch the show, so you can start by being patient and then even start a new thread based on the final dissatisfaction.

I agree on that (THEME), but you picked the wrong show. Here most characters are twisted, morals are questionable, and the story just barely began. It also brings questions like what a monster people might be treating Jeanne as if they don't condemn Vani more intensely.

Yes I am replying to you because I expect you to understand. Like I can reply to several other shitty messages in here, but that'll be a waste of time. Nothing is to be taken personally. But communication is important.

No problem, I don't think I twisted your words for the first part, because its distasteful when people use the "Oh look twitter warrior with no real life social work!" rebuttal, just seems like baseless assumption. But aside from that, thank you for taking the time out to engage with me. While I disagree with some of the things you've said, I understand that you want this show to be given a chance, which hopefully people can keep doing, lest the anime fucks up the tone/direction again.
joesqueJul 20, 2021 8:59 AM
Jul 20, 2021 9:06 AM

Nov 2019
joesque said:

No problem, I don't think I twisted your words for the first part, because its distasteful when people use the "Oh look twitter warrior with no real life social work!" rebuttal, just seems like baseless assumption. But aside from that, thank you for taking the time out to engage with me. While I disagree with some of the things you've said, I understand that you want this show to be given a chance, which hopefully people can keep doing, lest the anime fucks up the tone/direction again.

It's all good! This is why I mentioned "not specifically you" regarding the Twitter part. No problem if you disagree, it's just about we properly reading each other's comments and responding instead of retorting XD. Have a nice day~
Jul 20, 2021 9:33 AM

Mar 2020
Maou_heika said:
234Mannan said:
Blushing is not common sense, I most certainly would have slapped or kicked and tried to push him off.
At this point u are just being biased....Does common biology doesnt have a place in your dictionary? Lets reverse the roles and its jeane instead of vanitas... I would love to see how u would have reacted to that... No offence miss but Jeanne was paralyzed and its common stimulation of a body.according to biology thankyou.plus vampires dont exist in the real world and u are suppose to look at it according to the world they are designed for.... in the show they get stimulated pretty fast in comparison to humans...in the series(At the thought of drinking blood even and they have extreme emotions as well) ... and again i repeat i would love to see your reaction if it was vanitas instead of jeanee. I know that would have been CuTe...
Jul 20, 2021 9:44 AM

Mar 2012
234Mannan said:
Maou_heika said:
At this point u are just being biased....Does common biology doesnt have a place in your dictionary? Lets reverse the roles and its jeane instead of vanitas... I would love to see how u would have reacted to that... No offence miss but Jeanne was paralyzed and its common stimulation of a body.according to biology thankyou.plus vampires dont exist in the real world and u are suppose to look at it according to the world they are designed for.... in the show they get stimulated pretty fast in comparison to humans...in the series(At the thought of drinking blood even and they have extreme emotions as well) ... and again i repeat i would love to see your reaction if it was vanitas instead of jeanee. I know that would have been CuTe...
I would most certainly have the same opinion even if the roles were reversed. Biology has got nothing to do with this, its the author that's trying to romanticize it.
Jul 20, 2021 9:48 AM

Mar 2020
Maou_heika said:
234Mannan said:
I would most certainly have the same opinion even if the roles were reversed. Biology has got nothing to do with this, its the author that's trying to romanticize it.
I see miss...It seems more of a personnal problem at this point but i guess i cant do anything about it. Have a good day(I mean i explained the blush and all with refrence to something thats natural and to the world of vanitas but what ever)
Jul 20, 2021 11:32 AM

Nov 2019
Maou_heika said:

You are assessing the author without reading her work, or finishing the anime. How smart! Furthermore, you are not a vampire, much less Jeanne, so trying to put yourself in her shoes her using 2 ep info is hilarious.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.