Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2021 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
Low_Ki said:
I know this was based on a novel that was released in 1990, but it seems very contemporary and relevant to today's events with its themes. Is that was Tomino had written back then or has it been tinkered with?

The film is quite faithful to the novel.
Jul 31, 2021 7:26 PM
Apr 2012
I didn't really like it that much. The mech scenes were too dark and it felt like the character's conflicts and motivations were based on things that happened outside the actual movie. I know it's based on previous UC events but if you're going to make a movie you have to have your characters develop and respond to things that you show *in the movie*
Aug 9, 2021 12:03 PM
Jun 2016
I have the same problem with this movie that i had with CCA. There's a lack of exposition that makes it feel like i skipped parts of the movie. The animation and music largely make up for it though and as a Gundam fan i am interested to see what happens next. I give it a 6/10.

Two more things to note. 1. The Messer is the best mobile suit in the movie by a lot imo.
2. Hathaway's walking animation when he walks to that beach looks derpy af and i hope they fix that for the next on.
Aug 15, 2021 4:02 PM

Mar 2014
I hate Gigi character and the fact that I had to tolerate her timescreen for a whole 50+ minutes is not funny for me.

Looks very promising Kenneth and Noa, I would like to see more about them.
Aug 16, 2021 12:33 AM
Dec 2019
This reminds me of Garzey's Wing but Gundam. Its clearly been too long since I watched Char's Counter Attack because this is an impenetrable mess. Confusing nonsense references to extremely silly sounding names and places layered on top of repetitive themes. I feel like Tomino is the George Lucas of anime in that his first major work was uplifted significantly by the people around him and his following work clearly demonstrates his massive creative flaws.
Aug 21, 2021 11:58 AM

Dec 2015
A well-structured first chapter setting up the new conflict and characters and showing the "tortured" young man with ideals born of CCA that Hathaway has become while still being an impulsive kid. Although people might question the usefulness (or rather the idiocy) of the events of this first animated chapter.
But the whole style of the film is off-putting, be it with its "drawings", its shots, its (luckily rare) musics. (Obviously, all of this is clearly intentional. Was it cheaper? Does the director want to show off?). In the end, the fact most of the action is set at night helps mitigate the total lack of effort in integrating the CGI and drawn elements together, but it's still not enough.

The most notable part is with little doubt the first "robots scene" shot mostly from the street. No wonder it serves for one of the posters.

Score: 6~7/10 (hard to judge a 3parts movie)
Enjoyment: 2~3/5
If I had read all the chapters covered here, I would have lost the little interest I had during the film.

Random thoughts:
- how ugly those interiors look ! There's no concern for the characters' integration in those barely defined CG environments,
- the "modernised" chara-design is too much of a "bastard" for me but looks okay (with the exception of the female newtype),
- is the director obsessed with camera movements? That might explain the ugly environments.
- the opening is laughably ridiculous, visually as well as musically,
- the dialogues have retained a little something of Tomino's awkward style. Interesting but strange choice. (Even the full names use.)
- shower scene !
- "shingata" !
- what are all those weird angled shots for? They might look nice or interesting in other conditions, but they seem to come up randomly here.
- ugly CGI robots, of course,
- potentially interesting discussions cut short,
- music/songs used for jarring effects,
- ah, good one! 3D movements used to depict the 360° view of CCA+ MS
- the dark scenes of Netflix's copy are way too black,
- nice use of a ground point-of-view for MS fights damages,
- hearing Amuro was a treat !
- a rather good and well-directed (short) action segment to close the film, it moves well and finally shows some advantages of the digital style. Too bad several shots look like they were lifted from a videogame of a few years ago.

@St0rmblade No participation to the thread?

August 18, 2022
aziryn said:
If this was a first episode in a series that would be one thing but it's a movie. I don't know the background or anything about the other suggestions to watch before this, you shouldn't need to when watching a movie. That's why I thought it was very poorly setup and executed things felt rushed, no real conclusions but also no real cliff hanger to even make me want to watch another.

Well, when it's the first third of an ongoing adaptation of a novel serving as direct sequel to another one (and as epilogue to an entire saga), I don't understand how it could be otherwise. It was made specifically for people who had been expecting it.
I agree on the way it was cut out though, since it was decided early to cut it in three parts they should have managed each end point better than that.
Rei_IIIAug 18, 2022 4:18 AM
Aug 30, 2021 11:07 PM

Jan 2012
Loved this movie so much. Right up there next to Unicorn in terms of quality and content. As a long time Gundam fan, I've actually rewatched this movie more than any other Gundam movie. I just wanted to rewatch all the awesome scenes and catch the little things I missed. Everything from the characters, story, music, sound effects, voice acting, animation is top tier. The voice actors did a stellar job, especially Reina Ueda doing the flirty wildcard girl Gigi. If you want non-stop mech action, this isn't for you (go watch Gundam Wing). But if you want some deep intrigue and drama, building up to intense battles, this is perfect. UC lately is great with their realism, quality, and attention to detail. I'm glad the sales were great to show that this movie's quality paid off. 10/10 would watch again and again.

Btw I see a lot of hate for the movie and Gigi here in the forums but hey, in Japan, their main market, this movie was loved and Gigi got quite a bit of popularity. It's a matter of taste.

Sep 3, 2021 2:50 PM
Aug 2019
This feels like a setup for the upcoming movies. It was a very enjoyable movie that was great but not perfect. At times during the movie, it felt a bit dragged on. The animation & art was breathtaking it was so beautiful to watch & look at. The music & osts from Sawano were good but not as amazing as his other works. I liked the small development of Hathway tbh I didn't like him after Char's counterattack but I grew to like him. I also liked Keneth hope they dived into his character in the upcoming movies. I hope the other movies exceed my expectations.

Sep 18, 2021 2:33 PM
Jun 2008
This movie is beautiful. It resembles thunderbolt.
Sep 18, 2021 2:33 PM
Jun 2008
This movie is beautiful. It resembles thunderbolt.
Nov 13, 2021 8:24 AM

Sep 2014
the movie felt bit slow and lacking in action for a gundam tbh, but it looks very pretty and gigi is damn HOT.
hard to judge it well without seeing the sequel, this one doesn't really stand on its own. i enjoyed it though, looking forward to the next.
Nov 27, 2021 11:45 AM
Apr 2012
I enjoyed the movie, it had the vibe of a spy thriller and it kept me intrigued as I was trying to figure out Hathaway and Gigi's motivations.

Was Hathaway seriously doing all this for Quess??? Sadly, that does make him similar to Char (who never got over Lalah). On the other hand, his attitude when Kenneth was propositioning to Gigi really reminded me of Bright when Mirai's fiance showed up in the first Gundam lol. Like father, like son :)

Gigi on the other hand... is just another Gundam female character that only looks for a man to latch on? I had a theory that she was working for Federation intelligence and was supposed to get info on Mafty, which is why she was acting so weird and inconsistent, but the film disproved it :( It's just hard to accept that she's some random weirdo that just happened to be there when she could be perfect to seduce Hathaway and get all his secrets.

Well, I am curious what will happen next. Hathaway getting his own Gundam feels like the real beginning of the story.
Dec 20, 2021 8:11 PM

Jan 2016
The character designs and background art were amazing and the definite highlight of this movie. Aside from this, I find the movie to be generally executed very well within the realm of the Gundam franchise. Liked the characterization, music and dialogues and of course - Noa was great and Gigi was a pleasant surprise. The pacing was consistent, which is something a whole Gundam series or anything longer than 1hr./1hr. 35min aren't able to easily do.

Hathaway's Flash Movie 1 raised the bar, so I am expecting a lot from the trilogy, being said just the design and Noa na Gigi actions alone could make it enjoyable to me.
Jan 19, 2022 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
Hot damn. This was near perfect in my eyes. Been a long time since Gundam made me feel this way. Fuck. I'm impressed.
Mar 31, 2022 8:47 PM

Jun 2014
This was quite good. Far better than NT.

I like that there are many female members of Mafty, and there are many interesting characters in this movie.

I can't wait for the second movie.

Apr 8, 2022 7:13 PM

Feb 2013
I watched this nearly a year ago now and went into it knowing that Tomino actually said this would stand up to Kimetsu no Yaiba. I just don't see it and I like Gundam a heck of a lot more than Demon Slayer. Imo it's just not that good. Not bad, but not great.
Jul 24, 2022 12:05 AM
Dec 2012
I'm surprised at the overall positive reception here.

The animation was good sure, but the plot was a hot mess.

To summarize the plot as I could understand from that movie: Hathaway has become a terrorist, and is emotionally traumatized by quess running off. A blonde... Concubine shows up, and is into him. Then he goes off to fight a Gundam (I assume, the fight was so dark you could really barely tell).

It all just ends feeling a bit confusing and disjointed.

Also, pretty lacking on overall mobile suit screen time.
Aug 9, 2022 6:04 AM

Oct 2010
Woah, this movie is gorgeous to watch. The plot is setting up things to come but the art of environments and camera angles really made me rewatch some of the scenes. Like the view from hotel room is amazing and I actually wanted to be there. Really high production values. Love the music and character interactions and I love the show is taking it's time. Good stuff.
Aug 14, 2022 10:42 AM
Nov 2021
This movie was absolutely terrible I'm entirely shocked that anyone enjoyed this movie at all..

I mean the first scene was interesting they had some character development and then everything just sort of ends, if this was a first episode in a series that would be one thing but it's a movie. I don't know the background or anything about the other suggestions to watch before this, you shouldn't need to when watching a movie. That's why I thought it was very poorly setup and executed things felt rushed, no real conclusions but also no real cliff hanger to even make me want to watch another.

one of the least enjoyable things I've seen for a while, I liked the animation and style but the story sucked majorly.

I feel like I voted to highly at 3/10 I think I need to go change that.
Aug 22, 2022 11:51 PM

Apr 2016
The camerawork of this movie was insane until the last fight. Maybe I just don't understand it but I felt dizzy and didn't feel like I have a good look on both gundam. And everything is just grey I don't know what to think
In all gundam you always have a good introduction(establishing shot?) before the gundam starts moving around. But the mc's gundam didn't get that
lunarxlunarAug 22, 2022 11:58 PM
Sep 2, 2022 5:26 PM

Dec 2007
There is a glaring in-universe decision-making problem for Hathaway. This is a man who has accepted that civilian bystanders will die because of terrorist actions, but is unable to simply ditch a girl who he barely knows. He probably should have had her killed to keep his identity secret, but he was certain Kenneth would identify him anyways so maybe a moot action. I'm still surprised how easily he formed an attachment to her. For the first movie, Gigi doesn't contribute anything to the storyline other than be a reason for Hathaway to make some mistakes.
Sep 25, 2022 2:02 AM
Jan 2020
You mean Sunrise can make something that looks this good and they can't get someone who can animate 2d Mecha's?
Oct 5, 2022 10:04 AM

Dec 2018
It was fun, but it’s not a lot more than just a set up for the next movie. That being said, I’m super excited to see where this goes ^.^
Nov 4, 2022 12:52 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Have nice points, some good details in the animation style and quality, but the plot looks like lead!!!

Interesting, but not more! kekeke
Nov 5, 2022 12:12 PM

Dec 2015
Ranxomare said:
Interesting, but not more!

The novel got an amateur translation if you're curious to see how it evolves.
Nov 20, 2022 10:27 AM
Mar 2012
Im surprised that people find the mecha looks bad. it looks amazing to me.

Also, to the guy commenting that ufotable make bad CG, lol. They used CG in a lot of their stuff, but you dont realize it when it looks good or blended smoothly. The CG in Demon Slayer is not just the sword effect, but i guess that the only thing that looks bad in your eyes which then stick out in your mind.
Apr 6, 2023 10:27 AM
Mar 2023
Hit with no Hesitation
they punish our Generation!

Tracer is stuck in my head...
Apr 16, 2023 10:41 PM
Mar 2016
they have the time to make G-witch but hathaway noa still left unfinished.
Sep 26, 2023 3:50 AM

Jul 2017
i really liked this movie, it's not perfect but absolutely worth the watch, even for the stunning animation and soundtrack.
i strangely also liked the cast, gigi is better then quess, but the plot was a bit confusing.
i also loved the fact that this movie feels differetìnt from the rest of the gundam franchise, less action and more thriller.
overall a 8.5/10 for me
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Apr 27, 12:15 PM

May 2015
Refreshing to see adult main characters, finally things don't revolve around the children! Although I went into this movie with mixed feelings, since the protagonist is Hathaway and I hated what he did in CCA, the story took an interesting approach with the way he's not shown as a purely positive character. I think I woulnd't be able to stand it otherwise.

As a whole it was so much better than NT, what a blessing that it isn't actually a sequel to that abomination. Tomino's writing can be a hit or miss as well but least it's not uniteresting.

Animation wise some scenes were too dark which is a shame, but the rest looked really well apart from some stiff motion when characters walked, etc. but it's a small complaint. Overall, it was a good movie for a set-up and I'm looking forward to the sequals.
TenApr 27, 12:19 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» UC is over?

LegionOne - Apr 28, 2023

11 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:47 AM

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Champloo_Remix »»
Aug 8, 2023 10:03 AM

» What to watch before this?

Spektrum9 - Jun 10, 2021

48 by DivineLion »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:54 PM

» Did I ruin anything

Reshiram_IX - Jan 15, 2023

2 by Reshiram_IX »»
Jan 16, 2023 11:12 AM

» This looks so good

Ronninn - Sep 25, 2022

2 by ecliptyk »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.