Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 6, 2008 6:24 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Anna sure is popular among the costumers. But I guess having her as a weitress is a great way to increase business xD
Sep 24, 2008 5:50 PM

Feb 2008
wooow that line was amazing... "killing someone is easy, just forget the taste of sugar." meaning they are people who are just like you so all you have to do is forget that
Nov 30, 2008 2:44 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, that is one of those lines that was designed to be memorable. It makes sense though when you know the context. Another good episode, says I.
Feb 9, 2009 4:11 PM

Jul 2008
Indeed a good line at the end.
Jun 23, 2009 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
thank you kayro for making these topics at the end of each episode!
I've liked looking at what you lot are saying about the episode i've just watched :)
Aug 9, 2009 3:23 PM

Jul 2009
Whoa didn't expect Rosso to be an assassin...it was pretty amusing and weird how he gave up killing though XD
Sep 6, 2009 8:05 PM

Sep 2007
When Rosso pulled out that gun, for a second I thought he pulled it out of thin air and had this, "DANG" reaction.

But that was a good episode. I like how you get background on what the characters have been doing while we've been following Tenma.
Dec 19, 2009 10:11 AM
Sep 2008
Rosso was really developed for a character with such a small part.

Same thing goes for all the other characters, no matter how minor. I can tell that Urasawa gave this story a lot of thought.
Jan 22, 2010 1:07 PM

Sep 2009
notestinet said:
wooow that line was amazing... "killing someone is easy, just forget the taste of sugar." meaning they are people who are just like you so all you have to do is forget that

That line also hit me hard. Your interpretation of this metaphor seems viable. But I would interpret it a little bit differently. Sugar might have been a metaphor of happy life, serenity within you. So in order to kill you have to sacrifice your inner self. Another one would similar to yours, but a little wider. You just have to forget that the person you want to kill is a human. Yes. I think this one fits best. Knowing the story of Johan. Now that I think about it, its a nice parallel. Tenma and Anna thought of Johan as a monster, not human. Were dedicated to kill him. Would have triggered the hammer without hesitation. But now, they are a little bit worried that they will kill a human, which is still somewhere inside Johan. The same thing was with Rosso. He killed everyone without hesitation. Considered it only a as a job. But later on, he found out that he was killing human. That they have souls. And stopped. I wonder if the same thing will not happen with Tenma and Anna.
Overall, I liked the flashback of the last 6 months of Anna. It was nice to see what was she doing while Tenma was running around in the woods. Apparently it was almost the same :)
No sig :(
May 28, 2010 3:16 AM

Sep 2008
Easily one of the best episodes yet, chock full of Mamiko Noto goodness. Those city folk knew what was good, coming in to see her. She is just so lovely. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2010 4:10 PM

May 2010
It's too bad Anna had to leave though, seeing how close she was with him. :( Though I hve to say that was one moving episode.
I am apart from everything and a part of everything.

Frozen Fire, Tim Bowler
Nov 7, 2010 6:28 PM

Mar 2010
sugar does save lives

also the man was watching clannad

I want nina as a waitres ;)

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 14, 2011 6:21 AM

Oct 2008
I liked this episode, nice character development.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 10, 2011 1:18 PM

Jan 2008
I was kinda losing faith in this but that changed in an instant. This was a really good episode.
Dec 10, 2011 4:59 PM
Aug 2010
Yeah, the last 18 episodes of this show have more than convinced me that it's my favorite anime.
Dec 14, 2011 9:53 PM

Jan 2011
Another beautiful episode, especially the last line!
Feb 19, 2012 4:02 AM

Mar 2009
The five spoonfuls of sugar story was interesting.
Jun 20, 2012 8:37 PM
Oct 2009
That man who Rosso was supposed to kill but didnt looked like Lunge, just younger
Sep 17, 2012 4:23 PM

Nov 2009
lol the reason why he doesn't kill was so anti-climactic it made me legitly lol, I'm thinking "thats it?" and on queu he goes, "that's the only reason, nothing more, just because he drank his coffee like I do", funny shit their.
Dec 17, 2012 4:04 AM

Feb 2012
Touching Episode and more Anna :)

About Episode:

Investigators were questioning Anna and when they asked the case about that town fire and Anna told she don't know where Tenma wen't haha those Investigators are really dumb sometimes.

But I didn't quite get it who was really Rosso maybe like uncle to Anna no he was one of the organization member that Johan and others members belonged.

Anna sure is good waitress. And Rosso seemed really nice guy even though he was bad at first like Anna mentioned.

So Anna had also some gun training with marksman club or something like that. But she is better than Tenma because she trained 6 months Tenma 5 months so she has more skills than Tenma.

Rosso's story were also touching that he first was too Monster but then later he put end to that persona. Also one where he were watching movies and cried that was so sad.

Anna don't cry :(

Amazing Episode

5/5
Jan 28, 2013 2:54 AM

Jan 2012
Anna sure is popular lol. The five sugar story was pretty interesting.

Aug 17, 2013 1:00 PM
May 2012
This line "killing someone is easy, just forget the taste of sugar." is really good. It's nice to see what Anna has been doing all this time and I kinda want Anna and Tenma to end up together so we will see if that will happen now I gotta go to sleep.
Sep 22, 2013 9:46 PM

Jul 2009
awesome episode as always :D

and yes, Anna looks much better with simple clothes rather than that outfit XD

lol the customers are probably there because of Anna!

i think the reason why Rosso was crying is because he wished that he had done good things instead of the killings he had done in the past.

just as when i tasted the sugar, it reminded him of the good times, probably because of the sweetness that made him human :P

the sniper rifle looks ace!!!

and lol his target look like alot like Runge XD

i do wonder if Anna has the guts to kill Johan, same with Tenma!!

can't wait for more of this!!!!
Dec 3, 2013 6:19 AM

Sep 2011
Chuckled over the fact that he stopped killing over a cup of coffee. LOL

Badass quote at the end though.
funkotakuDec 3, 2013 9:18 PM
Jan 7, 2014 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
Sugar saves lives
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 8, 2014 12:03 AM

May 2013
So far, I am liking this series. Even non plot progression episodes like this are still interesting. Episodes like these are good character studies that are thought provoking.
Conan_KudoFeb 8, 2014 12:16 AM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jun 9, 2014 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
Genius...

So many feels </3
Sep 22, 2014 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
That was an incredible line at the end. "Killing people is easy... if you can forget the taste of sugar."

I'll get back to that in a moment.

Since I skipped the past couple episode discussions, the main thing I'd like to note that my theory about Johan (having a demon(s), as suggested by the title, Biblical references, and now the multiple personality disorder) was strengthened. I'm not sure if the anime will state it outright, but that seems to be the implication, to me, especially with such vivid imagery such as "the monster inside me". Johan knows that what he's doing is wrong, yet he doesn't know how to stop himself. Ironically (and bitterly, to an extent), this changes the perspective to place him in the role of a victim. I think his conversation with Anna during their early childhood is good footing to support this. He wants to be stopped (or so he feigns). However, places further strain on the protagonists' resolve to kill him, as he's essentially been humanized.

It was a really good twist. I do wonder if he truly wants to be stopped, though. My stance on killing him remains unchanged: If he's in the process of trying to kill someone or the protagonists, he should be stopped by whatever means necessary. Otherwise, he needs to be captured and dealt with by the government or a mental institution.

I think Anna would have been justified in killing the arsonist in the last episode, had Tenma not showed up.

As for this episode, I like Mr. Rosso's addition to the themes behind the anime. He's a demonstration that people can change. Before, he thought nothing of those he killed because he didn't think of them as people. Seeing the man put so much sugar in his coffee was a very humanizing action. You could even say it was a very innocent or pure action, and something virtually everyone is familiar with- the taste of something sweet. I thought it was fitting that such a small quirk made Rosso change who he was, and how different he is in the flashbacks we saw of the restaurant. One would never suspect that he's an ex-assassin. That last line summed up his whole life, in a sense.

I loved this episode. You hardly see minor side characters used so excellently.
Sep 22, 2014 2:57 AM

Mar 2013
TripleSRank said:
As for this episode, I like Mr. Rosso's addition to the themes behind the anime. He's a demonstration that people can change. Before, he thought nothing of those he killed because he didn't think of them as people. Seeing the man put so much sugar in his coffee was a very humanizing action. You could even say it was a very innocent or pure action, and something virtually everyone is familiar with- the taste of something sweet. I thought it was fitting that such a small quirk made Rosso change who he was, and how different he is in the flashbacks we saw of the restaurant. One would never suspect that he's an ex-assassin. That last line summed up his whole life, in a sense.

I loved this episode.[u] You hardly see minor side characters used so excellently.[/u]

One of the stronger points of Monster, really.
Oct 31, 2014 7:51 AM

Aug 2008
I'm astonished. All this in only 21 min.
Dec 19, 2014 2:21 PM

Aug 2014
Nice to see more of Nina. I don't think Rosso will appear again but his story and message were excellent.
Dec 30, 2014 5:17 AM

Dec 2013
Anna's past, not bad.
Feb 12, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2013
So touching episode, especially last words.
Feb 13, 2015 8:08 AM
Feb 2015
This is the first anime series I've ever watched (I'm through ep. 20 now), and I'm really enjoying it. I love the mystery and the complexity of the characters, and the fact that they've got a classical, uncompromising, hero. Ironically, Tenma seems to be one of the least complex characters. You can simply count on him to do what's right.

I gotta say though, it seems like there's some subtle sexism going on through the entire series up to this point at least. For example, none of the doctors in Tenma's hospital were women, not even one. It seems the only jobs available to women in the series are nurse, prostitute, waitress, childcare worker, or unemployed dependent. This really came to a head watching this episode. When Rosso first meets Anna, he doesn't comment one bit on her character. He doesn't say, "you must be very independent", or "you seem like an intelligent person". Nope, the first thing out of his mouth is that she's pretty. In fact, that's the reason he hires her, unapologetically, to bring in business. And then, the customers flirting and ogling her is more of the same attitude. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like the Rosso character, and maybe the writers are just trying to portray people realistically, with all their flaws.

One flawed character doesn't explain a whole restaurant full of people treating Anna like nothing more than potential arm candy, though. Nor does it explain the obvious gender inequality in the work place. So, I'm wondering, is this an accurate depiction of German society (I've never been to Germany), or is this a reflection on the creators' biases?
Mar 11, 2015 3:00 AM

Nov 2011
Decent ep, but i'm starting to reach a point where i question the meaning to all these 'filler' eps, only the first 10 secs of this ep seemed relevant to the story for me.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 17, 2015 5:48 AM

Nov 2014
Jetbrain78 said:
One flawed character doesn't explain a whole restaurant full of people treating Anna like nothing more than potential arm candy, though. Nor does it explain the obvious gender inequality in the work place. So, I'm wondering, is this an accurate depiction of German society (I've never been to Germany), or is this a reflection on the creators' biases?

I'm not German, but I come from a EU country, so, it's not quite a good depiction. Some places might have people like that, but, that is usually where those "red necks" are gathering, in the more finer places, people are quite well mannered and quiet in a restaurant. Plus,[currently] this is set in Frankfurt, so, I kinda doubt that people would act like that and that Anna, or any women would tolerate that.

I personally find many Japanese cultural things in this anime, for example, in this episode, I doubt anyone would say in public "Thanks for the food", or that "I'm happy to work here", especially as a waitress, I mean, who wants to work as a waitress?

I also find it weird, tho, I might have misread it, but any well educated European would know about Venice, and someone like Anna, who the anime is perceiving to be quite intelligent, to not know about Venice is kinda weird. That's like not knowing how does Paris or London look.

I liked the metaphor the old man told her, it was fitting with how Johan is perceived, not as a human, but as a monster.
Mar 28, 2015 2:49 PM
Nov 2014
Nice Anna's backstory ep...

Great quote by the old man near the end.
Jul 5, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 12, 2015 10:55 PM

Dec 2013
Anna was cute in that waitress outfit :3
Sep 23, 2015 11:52 AM
Sep 2015
Good episode. Nice ending quote.
Sep 27, 2015 10:05 PM

Jul 2013
TripleSRank said:

Indeed. A line that told a lot about Rosso, his experiences and how he changed.
I still felt the episode was too slow and felt a bit boring in some parts.
Nov 24, 2015 4:45 AM

Apr 2014
"Killing is easier than you think. You just have to forget how sweet the sugar is."

Nice episode and ending quote :) good anime
themanualreader@proton.me
Dec 22, 2015 1:57 PM

May 2015
This anime is so great. It just keeps building up feels and epicness. And we're just in the 18th episode! Argh I know it will become my fav anime
Mar 31, 2016 4:39 PM
Mar 2016
Memorable quote but I'm not sure exactly what Rosso meant, did he mean youre killing a part of yourself at the same time?
May 28, 2016 2:37 AM

Feb 2013
Rosso was a retired assassin, kinda weird to quit because a target liked drinking coffee with 5 spoons of sugar just like him.
Jul 6, 2016 6:43 AM

Aug 2014
Anna <3
What a lovely women lol
Great Episode.
Jul 9, 2016 9:12 AM

Jul 2015
was that lunge that rosso had to kill or
Aug 5, 2016 12:50 AM

Oct 2015
i am loving this series right now and i am hoping to give it a 10 in the end. This episode was about nina/anna and less tenma.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 8, 2016 10:24 AM

May 2016
I never saw that coming He is a professional Assassin that ending line was great
Jan 25, 2017 4:30 AM

Jun 2009
So the coffee thing, I feel like a lot of people are taking that too literally here. Seeing the guy put "five sugars" into his coffee served to remind Rosso that his target, and those before, is a human with a life of his own. Observing the guy in a happy moment, as insignificant as it may seem, served as a sort of trigger for Rosso. You could as easily of replaced it with, say, children or whatever. The point is that this moment changed his outlook on his job as an assassin. This shit was powerful, and it's even better that it ended up tying into his final line to Anna.

Also, I'm watching this is in both Japanese and English and it's interesting that the the ED doesn't have lyrics at all in the English version. I love the atmosphere of the non-lyric version, but I also don't mind it with lyrics either. I just thought that was interesting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

624 by Anamo7 »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Apr 25, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.