Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 4, 2021 5:01 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode came out early with promo for Alice in Deadly School (Special), as part of New Year Special Broadcast.
https://twitter.com/gekidol_anime/status/1346064373710635013

This is the special short edit of the full OVA, as @MegamiRem stated that the full OVA will be out as per the Blu-Ray package in March.

This looks to me, more like a creepypasta survival-horror fest that isn't half as scary, even with all the gore. Even for an OVA episode, this feels like a rushed job done, and felt like more of the marketing ploy to tie in with Gekidol.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't even FEEL genuine at all, no matter how much the production staff tried.

EDIT: Will have to watch the full OVA when it comes out in March.
KANLen09Jan 5, 2021 6:48 AM
Jan 4, 2021 5:37 AM
Jan 2019
Is it actually the first episode of Alice in Deadly School that you are referring to here, or is it this?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/45575/Alice_in_Deadly_School_Tokubetsu-ban__Ima_Stage_no_Maku_ga_Agaru
Jan 4, 2021 5:37 AM

Jul 2017
@Dunnas yeah, I think it's that.

But MAL has this and the other page, so let them do their tinkering.
Jan 4, 2021 6:10 AM

Apr 2014
Dunnas said:
Is it actually the first episode of Alice in Deadly School that you are referring to here, or is it this?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/45575/Alice_in_Deadly_School_Tokubetsu-ban__Ima_Stage_no_Maku_ga_Agaru

I also think it's Alice in Deadly School Tokubetsu-ban: Ima, Stage no Maku ga Agaru.
http://gekidol.com/news/archives/72
While the main Alice in Deadly School OVA will release together with BD later.
http://gekidol.com/products/dvdbox.php
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 4, 2021 6:13 AM
Mar 2016
I was hoping this would be a full series but it looks like it's just an OVA special and Alice in Deadly School is an in-universe theatre production in the Gekidol show.
Jan 4, 2021 6:15 AM

Jul 2017
AkeZZZ said:
Dunnas said:

I also think it's Alice in Deadly School Tokubetsu-ban: Ima, Stage no Maku ga Agaru.
http://gekidol.com/news/archives/72
While the main Alice in Deadly School OVA will release together with BD later.
http://gekidol.com/products/dvdbox.php
Yeah, I believe so also, let me form another discussion there.
Jan 4, 2021 6:46 AM

Aug 2020
so it's only 1 episode? Makes sense since it's apparently a prequel to Gekidol. I thought it was a full cour anime lol considering it had a full trailer too.

so this is actually this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/45575/Alice_in_Deadly_School_Tokubetsu-ban__Ima_Stage_no_Maku_ga_Agaru ??
dompsterfireJan 4, 2021 6:50 AM
Jan 4, 2021 6:53 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
So after watching the 50 gekidol episode i watched Alice and Gekidol episode 1 at once?

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
Jan 4, 2021 7:04 AM

Sep 2019
It was okay. Sadly, the best girl turned into a zombie.
Jan 4, 2021 7:14 AM

Sep 2015
The poor girl can't even go to the bathroom, that's how much she was believing that her mom and dad are about to come rescue her in any second.
Jan 4, 2021 7:15 AM

Oct 2017
Finished this episode somehow, quite meh and too much happened in one episode. I dun like any of the girls particularly but the yankee one was my fav I guess. So are we gonna get a continuation of this? Honestly I dun want more episodes if those are gonna be like this.

Edit:
So watched the second half of the episode and it was kind of touching but mostly really weird.
MegamiRemApr 9, 2021 8:58 AM
Jan 4, 2021 7:16 AM

Mar 2019
Gakkougurashi 2.0 but only with 24 minutes.

Alice in Deadly School seems to be a play by the Gekidol cast. They mentioned this is their best play.

It had never been announced as a TV series actually. Back in 2016 it had been announced as a "medium length" original project...24 minutes is short, i think originally one hour was planned. But I guess this is just a short OVA aired as special for the new year and will be avaiable in the BD (maybe the one hour version there in March??)

The main part is Gekidol which will release every week a new episode.
dlxuniuniuJan 4, 2021 7:23 AM
Jan 4, 2021 11:54 AM

Mar 2016
I was facepalming so hard during the helicopter scene. It literally could’ve just landed on the roof, picked up the girls and left safely, but no, it had to land in the courtyard and attract all the zombies to it...
Jan 4, 2021 2:27 PM

Dec 2020
This was so ADD, it was all over the place and it kept cutting to a random guardrail whenever it wanted to transition for some reason. Also, the weird trilling the zombies did was annoying.

Helicopter provided by Capcom, lol.
SilentCaayJan 4, 2021 3:13 PM
Jan 4, 2021 3:06 PM

Jan 2013
Looks like the entry for "Alice in Deadly School Tokubetsu-ban: Ima, Stage no Maku ga Agaru" got deleted.
Jan 4, 2021 7:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i wonder if the reason the girls turned into zombie was.....

AIDS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU

EcchiGodMamsterJan 4, 2021 8:46 PM
Jan 4, 2021 9:26 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I noticed my source entering the first episode of Gekidol and this one as a one whole episode. Idk why. But i feel that the later scene of Gekidol first episode didn't really portray the whole Alice in the Deadly School story. And ofc, its the edit version based on what written at these page. So, it will be better that the scene shall be separated from the later one, for not confusing peoples that come here, instead of episode one. But whatever, i don't really experience with that kind of thing.

Anyway, back to the scene,
I wonder what happened to the school in the first place, since its looks really out of place already. Together with the next question: are they survive until the end of the day? The introduction of the girls were fine. Everything just be allright, until the real problems arouse to the surface, made the girls under the pressure. That helicopter crew scenes were funny, tho. Its too silly. But i guessed it just a ploy for making the thing more dramatic. So i hope the later episode will be getting more clearer about that. Or no?

Such a shamed seeing Nobu got biten there (i think). It must be happened while saving her partner from those piano player. If not, whats the real deal with her conditions? While myself hope everyone can be save, there will be someone again that to be a sacrificial being to the rest of the girls. Who? Lets see the full ova of these 'theatrical drama' that become the greatest act ever for Alice in Theatre trope.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 5, 2021 8:43 AM

Nov 2015
What a mess. Of course this is a shorter version so the final release might improve, but right now this is just terrible. The character intros were random, no real plot...lots of filler scenes of the school building. I've seen some bad zombie content but this really came off as exceptionally lazy. It reminded me a bit of the truly awful Sailor Zombie tv show that starred members of Keyakizaka46, but even that had a better idea of what constitutes a decent production. This thing just felt like random clips from a full-length movie, which is why I can only hope the final OVA release is at least twice the run time here.
Jan 5, 2021 11:36 AM

Apr 2017
delta5 said:
What a mess. Of course this is a shorter version so the final release might improve, but right now this is just terrible. The character intros were random, no real plot...lots of filler scenes of the school building. I've seen some bad zombie content but this really came off as exceptionally lazy. It reminded me a bit of the truly awful Sailor Zombie tv show that starred members of Keyakizaka46, but even that had a better idea of what constitutes a decent production. This thing just felt like random clips from a full-length movie, which is why I can only hope the final OVA release is at least twice the run time here.

Agreed. The way this was edited, it does the opposite of making me want to watch the rest.

And if this was the Gekidol girls' most successful play...the acting sure doesn't show it lol, every character except Nobuko and the girl with the baseball bat was either annoying or unremarkable.
Jan 5, 2021 12:29 PM

Nov 2015
pandemonium91 said:

And if this was the Gekidol girls' most successful play...the acting sure doesn't show it lol, every character except Nobuko and the girl with the baseball bat was either annoying or unremarkable.

LOL so true. I guess they were trying to make it seem like an "authentic" amateur production, but that doesn't explain why anyone would want to watch it in the Gekidol universe. What's up with this theater company anyway? I find it hard to believe they're anything but bargain basement.

And it really makes me wonder why I should care either. Basically, even if the final OVA is much, much better, I'll still have to watch wooden "acting" aspect since we know that's not gonna change. It's a weird way to hype Gekidol as a show...
Jan 5, 2021 12:55 PM

Apr 2017
delta5 said:
It's a weird way to hype Gekidol as a show...

I watched the first episode of Gekidol too and didn't find anything in there that'd make me want more of it.

It is extremely weird for the animation studio to co-opt a completely unrelated manga for an original project of theirs. I was expecting something with a vibe similar to Gakkougurashi, and instead got...whatever this is. I mean for Christ's sake, they even have a helicopter being swarmed by zombies and exploding, and a mall!
Jan 5, 2021 9:44 PM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
It's listed here as 49 minutes but Alice in Deadly School(OVA) is only 25 minutes or am I missing something?
Jan 5, 2021 10:00 PM

Jan 2020
Antagonized said:
It's listed here as 49 minutes but Alice in Deadly School(OVA) is only 25 minutes or am I missing something?

The place where I watched it had it as 49 minutes with the first half being just episode 1 of Gekidol. They aired them back to back in Japan so this entry combines the first episode + the actual ova as one thing

Jan 6, 2021 5:30 AM

Aug 2019
WTF was that lol, this was so unremarkable (nobu was great)....and the helicopter scene was that for comedic purpose lol? If the whole Gekidol would be like this i can't see myself finishing it.

I hope we get a better and longer version of this shit.
Jan 6, 2021 6:14 AM

Apr 2017
@Antagonized @ManWild

The version of Alice in Deadly School that was aired then is an edited/cut promo of the final OVA. That's why there were basically no scene transitions and characters appearing and disappearing randomly. Between the first episode of Gekidol and the Alice promo is a short segment where one of the Gekidol girls explains that Alice is their theater troupe's most successful play (adding this in case anyone wonders what the connection between these 2 is).
Jan 6, 2021 1:17 PM
May 2016
What the hell was that? I was hoping for a zombie anime since there are like only 2 of them. Now it turns out it's only one OVA episode and not an actual series, and the zombie aspect only accounts for like 20% of this waste of time, mess of an episode.
Jan 7, 2021 1:32 PM

May 2009
That was fucking awful especially action with helicopter. Also filtered photos instead of drawn backgrounds are so fucking cheap.
Jan 7, 2021 1:39 PM
Jan 2021
Maybe my opinion will change when the full OVA comes out, but this felt more ADHD than I am on god
Jan 10, 2021 4:00 AM
Mar 2012
show in a show, no end, random cuts & dialogue. Cool directing esp with piano part but can't save this mess. Only fun was Nobu.
Mar 28, 2021 10:33 AM

Feb 2014
I guess this was pointless cause this ends up with a huge clifhanger and there is not continuation for it.

Ep one of Gekidol is the first part of this OVA.

Ep two of Gekdol is direct sequel for episode one and they won´t touch in the zoombie part anymore we did see here. Well, I know it´s a special, but at least don´t give me a cliffhanger hehe
Mar 30, 2021 8:08 PM

Dec 2015
Vi- said:
I guess this was pointless cause this ends up with a huge clifhanger and there is not continuation for it.

Ep one of Gekidol is the first part of this OVA.

Ep two of Gekdol is direct sequel for episode one and they won´t touch in the zoombie part anymore we did see here. Well, I know it´s a special, but at least don´t give me a cliffhanger hehe
the gekidoll alice in deadly school combo is not the full ova btw, that was a special that aired in January

and oooh how wrong we were about gekidol, the school alice in deadly school took place even actually exists in gekidoll

Apr 1, 2021 10:36 AM

Oct 2020
solo se invierte el orden de factores y no hay ningún problema con leer 18 capítulos del manga si no concuerdan los hechos (para mi) claramente especificados en ambos cortometrajes
Apr 4, 2021 10:19 AM

Jun 2012
Uh... Yeah. So that made less sense than I thought it would.

I swear this is just some weird thing Hoods Entertainment cooked up since they haven't done anything else recently.
Apr 6, 2021 7:01 AM
Jun 2008
Managed to watch Alice in Deadly School and I was wondering who managed to get out of the school. I'm sure that Benishima survived but which girl/s joined her escape?

Still, I think that the ending felt ambiguous to me.
Apr 6, 2021 1:32 PM
Apr 2020
This was all over the place with horrendous pacing and i didn’t like any of the characters i’d say the only good thing about this is the music.
Apr 6, 2021 6:19 PM

Jan 2020
Full version increased my opinion on the OVA and some stuff was cleared up but it was still pretty average to me even with the extended one.

5/10

Apr 6, 2021 10:17 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This was about 35 minutes of my life that I will never recover. I am not upset, it's just that I could have watched my cat cleaning her whiskers and been better off. This was some sort of psycho babble garbage. It had only the barest of plots and then scattered off of that to inundate me with artsy side stories on 2 dimensional characters. Next time I guess I just need to ask my Student Council President what to watch. 5/10
Apr 7, 2021 11:04 AM

Aug 2012
Apr 7, 2021 5:09 PM

Jun 2015
As far as one shots go I did enjoy it. Last third was a bit surreal and there was zero closure to the show. However, five out of five for bringing back those high school of the dead vibes. If you liked this I would also recommend the highrise show netflix released recently.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 9, 2021 9:20 AM

Mar 2018
Meh. Best girl died and worst girl survived. Garbage.

Still better than that trainwreck of the main show tho.

Apr 9, 2021 10:02 AM

Dec 2016
ManWild said:
Full version increased my opinion on the OVA and some stuff was cleared up but it was still pretty average to me even with the extended one.

5/10

Where did you watched extended version?
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Apr 11, 2021 10:01 AM
Apr 2008
That HELLICOPTER PART!!!!!!!!!
Apr 14, 2021 2:16 PM

Jul 2013
oops, i went into this blind & not realizing it was part of an existing series (kind of), so i was SO confused for most of my viewing; thought it was a double-opener first episode for a full series and it was only when it ended but there was like 5 minutes of credits i was like "OH FUCK NO THIS IS A SHORT FILM ISN'T IT???? FUCK MY LIIIIIIIFE!"

anyway, to review it somewhat objectively (in the sense that i went in with absolutely no prior knowledge and basically consumed it for what it was, not that i think my opinion itself is objective lol) i'm shocked they put so much effort into an ova.

the animation itself was kinda... well, shoddy feels a bit too harsh, given that they *did* put considerable effort in keeping the girls consistently cute and doe-eyed throughout even if proportions and framing were kinda outta whack on more than one ocassion. let's say 'not entirely polished'... but the directional choices really helped lift it up so you didn't notice it quite so much. choice of backgrounds, framing of scenes (i know i JUST complained about this but for the most part the framing devices used are super artisting and interesting!), cutaway shots (? not really sure what to call them, but y'know, when they randomly decide to focus on some flowers or a leaf blowing in the wind) and the music were quite excellent and reminded me somewhat of kuzu no honkai in that regard.

the way in which the characters are introduced made next to zero sense, but honestly i found myself shrugging through most of it like "well, so much anime is so ill-planned or just doesn't have the airtime to be able to take its time i'm actually kinda desensitized to this" so though annoying, it actually didn't hinder my viewing all that much. despite being only about 40 minutes in length, it successfully managed to make me invested in 3 different pairs of friendships, albeit with the notion that this was a full series...

despite the seemingly tepid score i've given it, i'd actually recommend this to people that feel like watching something that's a bit balls-to-the-wall, acid-trip insane. i know there's WAY kookier stuff out there, but the way this ova (for the uninitiated, of course) just throws information at you full-speed & in a seemingly incoherent chronology was definitely... a ride, for sure.
[ someone pointed out on the forum that the amateurish nature of the production was probably a meta choice given that it's a story-within-a-story made by an amateur acting troupe, and i think that's a fair comment to make so i thought i'd add it as an addendum to this review! ]

if you were a fan of paranoia agent or sayonara, zetsubou-sensei i think you'd have a fun time this this! maybe it's just me but i got the same sort of frantic energy from this that i did from those two shows.

.............well that ended up being a full-on review rather than a passing comment LMAO. guess i might as well actually submit it as a review as well (9w9)
Apr 28, 2021 5:53 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I finally can say that, its not much of a different context from what i've seen in the short cut one, unfortunately. The supporting girl death, and the cheerful one continued to bring their dream out of those miserable 'unexplain' situations. The end part kinda dragged out too much with the 'dramatical visualization'. The pace reaching out the roll end credit really slow with no content goin on in-between. Its frustating me. Even the roll end credit itself just too much wasting time until i can't say anything to figure, 'the show already end?'. It can be better but whatever.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Everything lead into the same situations with no additional information whats goin after then. Open ending for their best, i suppose. But the conclusion over the character can be settled as completed, as its already predicted, with how the plot reach to that point.
5/10.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 21, 2021 9:14 PM
Apr 2012
I'm not sure what the point of this OVA is. Is this just a dramatic imagining of a play that is preformed in Gekidol? The characters aren't properly fleshed out for a one shot story.
Jun 24, 2021 12:57 AM

Apr 2017
The helicopter scene is quite possibly one of the worst anime scenes ever. Why did they land in a zombie-infested yard? The girl's reaction afterwards — "guess we're not getting rescued today *shrug*" — was just the icing on the cake lmao. The scene with the piano-playing girl was alright but I really wish they didn't include the helicopter part; Gakkougurashi did it much better.

The girl panicking and trying to contact her mom had awful line delivery.
And it makes total sense to risk blowing up the fence that is containing all those zombies.

The entire thing does feel like a play, with the "we're going to do this", "you used to do this" infodumping and the heavy-handed monologues. The writing is pretty bad but at least the animation and background music were pretty good. For some reason, the live action part of the ED made me burst out laughing.

6/10
Aug 2, 2021 3:54 AM

Jul 2015
I haven't seen the original series Gekidol since I'm not into idol anime but this like a subpar Gakkou Gurashi! seeing the dumb actions and ridiculously carefree attitude from the main girls.

Oct 19, 2021 11:29 PM
Apr 2021
confused and forgettable is how I'd describe this show
had to go back and confirm I'd watched it when it came out because I couldn't remember and didn't add it to the list. Literal drivel. I don't even remember it well enough to give it a score
Dec 4, 2021 9:52 PM

Jan 2021
I went in blind not knowing what this was even about or that it was connected to any other shows. Don't know what Gekidol is about or what this has to do with it, but treating it as a stand alone I thought it was great. It dropped you right into situation leaving you wondering what lead up to it, but like in real life, we don't always have all the answers so what's important is what the characters are doing in the moment to survive it. Also just like real life you don't know much about the other people around you, so this gave just enough of a glimpse at what each girl was like to get a feel for who they were without needing to take time to dive into their whole backstory. It was very short and to the point and for only being half an hour it was impactful. I found it pretty sad, especially when the girl started singing imaging herself as an idol knowing her dream would never really come true, but she was going to make the most of the last minutes she had. It had an overall undertone of melancholy knowing most of these characters will not survive even after the episode ends, but I still felt for them. I was surprised to see most people disliked this but as a one-off episode it had a lot more to it than most TV shows or OVAs do in the same amount of time so I thought it was worth it.
Apr 1, 2022 8:14 PM

Oct 2018
Oh boy, back here for the full version after a year later. I don't remember anything about the edited shorter version I watched except I scored it a 1/10. Now, the full version honestly seems to be better a experience just based on that I didn't hate everything about it or even felt bored throughout the entirety of it. I had already seen the first episode of Gekidol so I had context of what was going on. First of all, what the fuck was up with that helicopter scene, like how I am even supposed to react to that? Without any direct plot to follow, the most important thing turns out to be the characterization which completely lacks in this except the blonde girl. They even include drama between the characters which has no reason to exist in such a circumstance and it doesn't even get mentioned anytime later other than being used as a plot device for the death of the baseball team captain who is also able to catch a lighter that bounces of the ground like a baseball. It's as if they are not even trying with some of this scenes. The way the backgrounds are used, especially the inner classrooms, are so hit or miss. The last 10 or so minutes are dragged down just to make the same point and this even continues for the ending song which is around 7 minutes with still frames, most of which are taken from the actual OVA. Then there's the lack of any conclusion which is a must especially when you have not wasted a single minute in doing the set-up at the beginning or even in the middle.

Positives -
- The talk between the chuunibyou and the loner which gives further information about the death of mother of the chuunibyou girl is a nice touch. [This could have been used as a way to express her personality, but unfortunately, doesn't get used in anyway.]

- Both the piano scene as well as the ending scene had nice directing. [Especially the parts were they are not expecting their classmates to turn into zombies]

- Dat 2 sec water sakuga

Etherius_ZSApr 2, 2022 3:07 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenderizer79 - Aug 8, 2017

7 by ethancargio »»
May 3, 2023 1:17 AM

» The listing of this OVA is bugged

saske13 - Feb 16, 2021

4 by removed-user »»
Mar 2, 2021 5:23 AM

» This might be just one episode EDIT: It's confirmed now

MegamiRem - Jan 4, 2021

19 by MegamiRem »»
Feb 1, 2021 1:50 AM

» Is the version of this is the Gekidol New Years Special the entire OVA

ALittleBitofJean - Jan 4, 2021

1 by KANLen09 »»
Jan 4, 2021 7:26 PM

» Is this ever coming to fruition?

Cypress- - Jul 12, 2019

23 by Dunnas »»
Jan 4, 2021 4:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.