Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 4, 2020 2:17 PM

Dec 2011
Has anyone encountered the problem that they hear songs while watching the anime that aren't on the official score CD? Is this a common thing?

There's at least 5 really beautiful songs that play in the background of the Akatsuki no Yona anime that are missing from the official OST CD. I can't seem to find them anywhere online. I'm wondering if maybe they'll be released later on as a part of a "special bonus soundtrack" type CD, like what the Parasyte anime did. However, AnY came out in 2014, so I feel like it's been too long for that theory to make sense anymore...

I'm frustrated TT^TT
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 30, 2020 8:07 PM

Oct 2010
Hey, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Yes, that's a common problem with soundtracks of movies/TV in general. It was very remarkable that my favorite score, Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings, got its Complete Recordings released... and I recall reading that it didn't turn a profit. The recordings were initially released exclusively as expensive CD sets, which must have cost a lot of money to produce, and not enough people bought it. John Williams' score for The Phantom Menace similarly had a deluxe 2-CD release, which was apparently not successful, and a lot of good stuff from the following two prequels was left out of their single-disc albums, as lamented by the hosts of Star Wars Oxygen. Nickelodeon has refused for years to officially release any of the Avatar: The Last Airbender soundtrack. They wouldn't even put it out digital-only, which wouldn't require the investment of CD production.

I'd guess that Japan is probably even worse about this, because the music industry there is still trying to cling to overpriced physical releases. Where a soundtrack album here in the US would likely cost US $10-15 on CD or $10 as a digital download, in Japan, it would typically be $30-40.

I'd further guess that often, the reason why a track doesn't make it onto the CD is that the CD was produced before the music was finished. I have no source for this, it's just a guess. I know that in Hollywood, soundtrack composition and recording for a film can in some cases run right up to the deadline for distribution. And I know that TV anime production is planned to just barely meet airing deadlines, so I would expect that in at least some cases, the music is not completed far enough in advance to get onto the CD, which the show producers will want to release ASAP to capitalize on whatever momentary hype the show may have. If the show is popular and successful, like Attack on Titan or Kill La Kill, you may get that later second CD release (or in the case of Cowboy Bebop, what was it, nine albums?) but in most cases that'll sadly never happen.

There's one anime score track that I love so much that I cut the raw audio out of the show, with the dialog, and listened to it 40 times - it's the instrumental version of "Servante du feu" from Sora no Woto. I do count that as "score," because like the rest of the soundtrack, it was composed and arranged by Michiru Oshima, and was used as score in the first and thirteenth episodes (13 being OVA episode 2). Not that I have anything against Matthieu Ladouce's vocals - I do listen to his version too - but I really want to clearly hear the music underneath. Some other fans felt the same way, and recorded an instrumental cover, but of course it's not the same as the real thing. It's a beautiful sequence at the end of episode 13 where the girls talk about their dreams and aspirations for the future, so in that case, it worked out fine as something I didn't mind listening to 40 times.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Go Sakabe 坂部剛 ( 1 2 3 )

nDroae - Oct 21, 2018

129 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
Apr 18, 2:53 AM

» Favorite Opening/Ending songs! ( 1 2 )

Sagi - Jan 26, 2008

62 by 3amZen »»
Apr 6, 2022 7:25 AM

» What are your favorite OST's? ( 1 2 )

Sagi - Jan 26, 2008

73 by JB-94 »»
Mar 11, 2022 5:54 AM

» Anime Score Tracks

Pyschoneurosis - Dec 25, 2018

10 by JB-94 »»
Dec 10, 2021 1:00 PM

» Classical music and classical inspired soundtracks in anime

Pyschoneurosis - Dec 26, 2018

13 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
Nov 22, 2020 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.