Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2020 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jesus Christ, all those crimes stacked up...no wonder Innumael is a wanted man. However, I don't like the Imperial Army much. Seems more like one of those groups that likes to control its people.

Looks like the episode also gave Gutheil more screen time to shine.
Oct 20, 2020 8:37 AM

Jan 2014
I really dig how we get two different perspectives. Normally we only get one, so for us to get two here, it's really great.
Oct 20, 2020 9:22 AM
Oct 2012
i just dunno why the episode is so freaking fast even if its still 24 minute
Oct 20, 2020 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
It's funny how low the score for the show is, when the series this good. Def in my top5 (mb top6) of the season.

It's really nice to see both sides of the conflict, also both MC seems fine and have a lot of room for improvement.

It's too early too judge the show, but I gotta say it has all the chances to be great by the end.
trampler8324Oct 20, 2020 10:00 AM
Oct 20, 2020 10:04 AM
Oct 2012
trampler8324 said:
It's funny how low the score for the show is, when the series this good. Def in my top5 (mb top6) of the season.

It's really nice to see both sides of the conflict, also both MC seems fine and have a lot of room for improvement.

It's too early too judge the show, but I gotta say it has all the chances to be great by the end.

who put low score must be hated the animation quaity,and they never consider the other aspect from this anime,for me this anime is still dark horse of this season
Oct 20, 2020 10:09 AM

Jul 2017
Yeaaaaaa the commander dude is definitely gonna be the main villain lol. Feel like MC is gonna switch sides after seeing how dark he is lol, althoguh it would be a pleasant surprise if MC sticks with the commander and becomes more savage himself

but i do like the dual perspectives thing going on, albeit the army side doesn’t really get that much attention (so far at least)
Oct 20, 2020 10:21 AM
Oct 2012
Short_Circut said:
Yeaaaaaa the commander dude is definitely gonna be the main villain lol. Feel like MC is gonna switch sides after seeing how dark he is lol, althoguh it would be a pleasant surprise if MC sticks with the commander and becomes more savage himself

but i do like the dual perspectives thing going on, albeit the army side doesn’t really get that much attention (so far at least)

Leocadio maybe become like suzaku,stay on army side,"maybe"
Oct 20, 2020 10:28 AM

Apr 2019
so that imperial army leader is just gonna be emo and emotionless for no reason...? hopefully we get some good backstory for that or something. Characters are still meh but theres lots of action so i guess thats cool

Oct 20, 2020 10:29 AM

Dec 2016
trampler8324 said:

Sell me on what's "so good" about this show. From what I saw in the first episode it felt like a bland game adaptation, both cheap in writing and cheap visuals. This season is loaded with way more quality shows for all demographics.
Oct 20, 2020 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
Maybe I'm too tired, but I'm not feeling it.

Will give it another episode or two.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 20, 2020 11:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
trampler8324 said:

It's pretty solid, but you know MAL: if the animation/action are not impressive, no teenage selfinsert characters and there's no waifus to compensate for it, your score will be low.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 20, 2020 11:39 AM
May 2017
wow, the delivery man was one of the last characters I expected to be a main character
pretty great so far
Oct 20, 2020 11:55 AM
May 2017
Kimurah said:
trampler8324 said:

Sell me on what's "so good" about this show. From what I saw in the first episode it felt like a bland game adaptation, both cheap in writing and cheap visuals. This season is loaded with way more quality shows for all demographics.

This is one of the few animes that are aimed at the older generation of anime watchers, there is no clear right and wrong, characters are not cardboard cutouts, it focuses more on the story, not just on flashy animation.
I like the storytelling, currently I have no idea where it is heading, but that's so good about it, it is not so easily predictable.
World building is not just plainly explaining the whole thing in 2 sentences, we are exploring it along the way.
imSOuniqueOct 20, 2020 12:01 PM
Oct 20, 2020 12:03 PM

Aug 2018
This was an alright episode. a bit slow to me and the story is a little bit confusing and I have to say the dynamic of the two main characters is Boring.but then again its only the second episode so I will just wait for few more episodes to see if its good or bad
Overall 5 out of 10
SaiDxvLightDec 6, 2020 9:49 PM
Oct 20, 2020 4:50 PM

May 2018
Innumael got dragged into this drama because of Leo, and now Leo wants revenge? No to mention that those empire soldiers are shady af, and they also torture people, so it's not really that hard to tell who the bad guys are. Innumael didn't really do anything wrong

The first two episodes felt short for me, so that's how I know I enjoy the show. Grossly underrated, that low score is a joke. Definitely in my top 6 of the season
Oct 20, 2020 5:30 PM

Sep 2020
I checked the Magatsu Wahrheit game's website and I have to say that the game and TV series look nothing alike to me.
I wonder if this animation is done in the same vein as Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle.
Oct 20, 2020 7:24 PM

Sep 2019
the raid in general still don't make sense, why this time around they bring more fire arms for the raid than last time for the fight, and why is the sword guy the last one to enter the room, and i don't even know anything about how you should do a raid or anything about the military, but those where some odd things, other than that the episode is a really good building episode of the characters.
Oct 20, 2020 7:26 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
That Leo commander didn't give a fuck and put up some sympathy after such a huge tragedy coming up with one of his man. I mean, the military could be this tragic, if you had an upper man like him XD. Damn commander, look him! He only cared about his own job, to found out that smuggler and their items. I found it quite funny, but surely its understandable knewing his characteristic to be quite harsh and cruel. Kenjirou must be enjoyed his role as a badass commander! Now, Inumael, your little sister on his radar. I do really wonder whats up with his mind until seeing that photo. Shit must be going on pretty fast on these one! I hope soon Leo realized that his naive mind just gone into a wrong route. He even didn't recognized Inumael afterall the way he pursuit him! Damn scenario. Especially with how in the background, some random white hair girl, creeping in searching something i didn't know. Lets see the next episode to see her real deal.

Also, with the world building elements, tho. They kept mentioning it as a minor information about how messed up their world were. That little girl sickness. That burning pit in the background. Their city conditions. Oh, well, i really wanted to care. But, as it just served as an additional information, my caring side truly depleted. Hmm, as a background story its just okay. Nothing special for me, but really worth it to mentioned as my additional comment here. Thats it.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 20, 2020 7:44 PM
Oct 2018
Dunno if it's gonna end up like Code Geass, Akame ga Kill or just anything else, but i'm surely digging it 'till now. I felt like the OST was not fitting though.
Akkarin! Hai!
Oct 20, 2020 7:50 PM
Oct 2018
Farabeuf said:
trampler8324 said:

It's pretty solid, but you know MAL: if the animation/action are not impressive, no teenage selfinsert characters and there's no waifus to compensate for it, your score will be low.

Dunno man, I really like all that anime bullshit about cute waifus, moe, and (some) shonen tropes, and anyways I can really enjoy more serious anime, and that applies for many other people too. The thing about this anime right now might be some serious 'ep 1 drop syndrom', many people may have felt dismissed by the straight-to-the-point story that throws you in the events without almost any explanation. I mean, sure the anime is underrated too, but don't think what you said is totally appliable either.
Akkarin! Hai!
Oct 20, 2020 7:55 PM

Apr 2020
Dariat said:
Innumael got dragged into this drama because of Leo, and now Leo wants revenge? No to mention that those empire soldiers are shady af, and they also torture people, so it's not really that hard to tell who the bad guys are. Innumael didn't really do anything wrong

well, kill someone its not just "anything wrong" hehe

fuckinmyname said:
Leocadio maybe become like suzaku,stay on army side,"maybe"

if the other MC was like Lelouch or even like Rolo, that would be a great development for Leocardio
but so far Inummael gives me nothing but cringe
Oct 20, 2020 8:27 PM
Apr 2017
This show is one of the best this season and my personal favourite. I love the world building, the setting, the character design and the suspenseful moments it delivers. No generic romance or fanservice to interrupt the flow of the story which is really well paced. I never had to check how many minutes are left, it's just so good.

It's a show that does visual world building and story-telling, you can understand the character motivations without them monologuing half the time to you and it's what I really want from shows like this. Inummael has so much potential to grow and Staarke shows why she is best girl of the season.

10/10 episode.
Oct 20, 2020 11:34 PM
Apr 2020
Coward Innumael, it's too late to regret about your decision. lol

That's some really obvious way of hiding something valuable. lmao

Oct 21, 2020 12:05 AM

May 2012
This show is so underrated. At least it is much better than that other anime called Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Oct 21, 2020 12:21 AM

Aug 2008
Ikebukuro West Gate Park lol is okay, this one has same vibe when comes to entertainment,is slow but I want to see how Innumael will develop. Is actually Leo fault that poor guy is in this mess and got his hands dirty with blood...
yes he could had not killed that guy, but is u do something to live or die
although i must say this: has the most lazy end and op animation ever : unexisting
The spider is watching
Oct 21, 2020 12:25 AM
Mar 2012
Even more worldbuilding with that lava & illness, plus that white hair investigating, all these disconnected threads would need to link up eventually or fall apart.
Leo's morality is conflicted or quite messed up so far. Inu is super useful despite being untrained.
nice osts. dwells on a few scenes duno why, otherwise pacing goes smoothly.
Oct 21, 2020 1:27 AM

May 2018
AnitadellaBrisa said:

well, kill someone its not just "anything wrong" hehe

That was pretty much self defense, that soldier was about to kill Schaake
Oct 21, 2020 5:18 AM

Feb 2020
trampler8324 said:

Because it's a relatively bland, dime-a-dozen story so far that most people have seen before, coupled with unimpressive visuals. But not offensively bad, and honestly decent enough so far, just not special. Averaging a 5 or 6 for me currently. Also, as you say, this may well become a higher (or lower) score depending on how the series goes and MAL scores aren't reflective until the last Episode has been out for a few weeks anyway.

People think that any show must be either a 1-4 aka bad/terrible or a 7-10 aka good/great when the reality is that most shows are smack dab in the 5-6 middle range, which are after all still "passing grades" (MAL calls them "Average" and "Fine"). That's what happens when a market becomes as oversaturated as the Anime one.
Oct 21, 2020 7:23 AM

Dec 2016
imSOunique said:

This is one of the few animes that are aimed at the older generation of anime watchers

I've been watching anime since the early 80s. I don't see anything in here that screams of old school or appealing to older viewers.

imSOunique said:

there is no clear right and wrong,

This is pretty common for titles that want to show morally gray characters, but they always end up showing a faction that's right in their choices and the other one was actually wrong. Heck, even the sadist commander it's a clear sign of a villanous character.

imSOunique said:

characters are not cardboard cutouts,

Too early to say this, specially when the deuteragonist Leo hasn't shown anything besides his loathing for the casualties so far.

imSOunique said:

it focuses more on the story, not just on flashy animation.

This feels more like a cheap excuse for lack of talented animators. And again with only 2 episodes it's too early to claim that it's story focused.

imSOunique said:

I like the storytelling, currently I have no idea where it is heading, but that's so good about it, it is not so easily predictable.

Given how these "empire did nothing wrong" kind of stories, I woulnd't say it's not predictable. The ruler of this land did something he already acknowledges is wrong for it's people but had to because reasons and this will only give fuel for the resistance to raise. Most likely Leo will also toss his uniform and join the rebels once the cat is out of the bag.
Oct 21, 2020 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
There's still some factors to decide whether thiis is good or bad, but still too early to tell.

The stark contrast between the "I did nothing wrong" Innumael and the "I want to have a job to relieve stress" Leocadio being on 2 different sides of the story, but technically on the same rough terrain conditions on serving for cunning people.

Still have some uncertainty over Naoto Hosoda's storytelling (since this is the 1st time he's doing both series composition and an original script), but at least it sold me on the direction that it wants to go.
Oct 21, 2020 9:46 AM

Apr 2010
Kimurah said:

Right now, I find myself interested in the plot developments here. I find myself attracted to stories where characters get thrown into predicaments, must struggle to find their way out and grow in the process and Inumael has all the hallmarks of such a character. Already he is found himself dragged into a plot between rebels and imperials and it’s interesting seeing how he reacts. The first episode already put him into quite a predicament: if he ran back to his normal imperial rule he could face possible execution on mistaken charges – should he risk it or should he dig himself a deeper hole by helping the rebels? Ultimately, he acted and dug himself a deeper hole. Was it the right decision? If so the “right” decision wound up killing the brother of a man who was a helpful friend only a few days ago. Fate is a cruel mistress. And he’s found himself making a similar decision this episode: he risked his chance of escape to help another rebel. Call him wimpy all you like but what he did this episode took serious cojones. He walked right into the lion’s den but managed to sneak out with the treasure.

As for Leo he already disappointed me in his incapability of speaking up in the first episode, but thankfully Leo's lacking there won't have too much impact since Inumael has been repeatedly taking fate into his own hands. He improved this episode as we see him struggle to deal with not only the loss of a family member, but also a loss of resolve as he struggles to square up imperial actions with his own sense of right and wrong.

Overall, I do find myself liking how low key and grounded the characters feel. Besides the Imperial commander, there aren’t any overt caricatures. And even the Imperial commander himself is nothing over the top: I wouldn’t consider him particularly out of place from what I’ve studied on the Iraq War for example. The plot overall benefits as the casual depiction of torture and the unspectacular depiction of guerrilla warfare helps create a grounded feel.

That’s not to say there aren’t flaws to the story. Despite all that I’ve said above, the characters do still feel a bit bland because ultimately what little characterisation we’ve seen is just them reacting to events. I would have preferred to see a lot more expansion on Inumael and Leo’s backgrounds, how they feel deep down and some more focus on chemistry and relationships between characters. A lot of potential for some good drama has been regrettably squandered already. The way I see it there are two potential reasons for this:

1) The story needs to stabilise the large cast of characters it introduced from the start. From my experience anime that start with a large cast right from the get go (e.g Shirobako, Astra Lost in Space) take a while for me to become comfortable with but can be quite rewarding. Because its thrown so many characters at us all at once, characterisation has been diluted early on so it takes time for it to build up, which is why they all feel flat at the moment.

2) It is a game adaptation and in my experience faithful game adaptations (e.g Tales of Zestiria, God Eater, Persona 4, Gunslinger Stratos) tend to suffer from really bland characters because fundamentally games are event driven and that translates to their anime being plot driven with characters that largely interact with a bland blank slate main character because that main character used to be a playable character that you controlled. Those same characters also rarely develop significant relationships with each other because that's usually outside the scope of a game that can only show events from your POV.

Only time will tell whether this anime can overcome either of these issues
HaakOct 21, 2020 3:34 PM
Oct 21, 2020 9:55 AM

Dec 2016
Leo was standing so close and still didn't notice that the person he's searching for is right in front of him...but I'm glad he didn't notice.

I feel so bad for Inumael...
It's because of Leo his life got all messed up.

And the army is kinda sus

Looking at the first two episodes, no one can tell that it has weird monsters in it, it just looks like some army terrorist thing...

I wonder when the monsters will show up.

Overall, this anime kinda looks like a mixture of 91 days and Fairy Gone.

Inumael reminds me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo so much XD
Oct 21, 2020 10:14 AM
Jan 2017
how is this anime so badly rated? Probably one of my favorite of the season too

Ngl I absolutely despise the imperial army, and I'm sad that Headkeeper already lost 1 member under torture... But I hope Inumael will carry on.
The one character I hate the most is Hermann which is very conflicting since his VA (Tsuda Kenjirou) is my favorite VA D:
Oct 21, 2020 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
trampler8324 said:

right? This anime is awesome ngl.
Oct 21, 2020 9:22 PM

Jan 2020
Leocadio incidentally keep bring misfortune to other lol
Oct 22, 2020 11:18 AM
Jul 2020
Ter uma perspectiva de ambos os lados é legal, tanto do exército cm os contrabandista s. Mais eu quero que no final tenha uma luta entre imnumael e o Leocard.
Oct 22, 2020 6:10 PM

Oct 2008
oh nice good thing Innumael helped with the rescue efforts of the mom and daughter but the price to pay is his imouto...oh no...
4/5.

Oct 23, 2020 3:17 AM
May 2017
Kimurah said:
imSOunique said:

This is one of the few animes that are aimed at the older generation of anime watchers

I've been watching anime since the early 80s. I don't see anything in here that screams of old school or appealing to older viewers.

I didn't mean old-school. What I sort of meant that there aren't a whole lot of anime that are not about "kids" (highschooler or younger) and aren't about "babysitting" (older dude takes care of young kid).

Not that I hate anime about "kids", I am not that old, but for me, it is easier to take seriously the grim world of an anime if in the middle of it there isn't a 15-year-old MC smashing everything.

Kimurah said:
imSOunique said:

there is no clear right and wrong,

This is pretty common for titles that want to show morally gray characters, but they always end up showing a faction that's right in their choices and the other one was actually wrong. Heck, even the sadist commander it's a clear sign of a villanous character.

Yeah, but anime that wants to show morally gray characters is not common at all.

Kimurah said:
imSOunique said:

it focuses more on the story, not just on flashy animation.

This feels more like a cheap excuse for lack of talented animators. And again with only 2 episodes it's too early to claim that it's story focused.

Idk, it is just personal experience but shows with very good animations usually go for very straight forward, not too complex stories, since very good animation costs a lot, they want it to be as popular as possible, so they won't be doing niche things. So on average, I think I prefer shows with average art/animation to superb ones.

Kimurah said:
imSOunique said:

Given how these "empire did nothing wrong" kind of stories, I woulnd't say it's not predictable. The ruler of this land did something he already acknowledges is wrong for it's people but had to because reasons and this will only give fuel for the resistance to raise. Most likely Leo will also toss his uniform and join the rebels once the cat is out of the bag.

Ofc to a certain extent everything is predictable, then you might or might not be right, but still, the whole situation is not crystal clear from the very start. For example I wouldn't have thought the delivery guy is gonna be a central character, for me he seemed like a usual background nobody.
imSOuniqueOct 23, 2020 3:34 AM
Oct 24, 2020 2:16 AM
Apr 2019
This has been an interesting anime so far
I think I will rewatch the first episode as well to check if I missed any details
Oct 25, 2020 4:23 AM

Mar 2014
I was expecting a nice conclusion to the battle and they just disengage? It was rather weird. And near the end, something blow up and they all just leave without even locking a door of the prison cell? Completly unplausible.

Beginning of this show was promising but combat scenes are boring and unplausibe, recent turn of events is also garbage trier.
Oct 27, 2020 6:34 AM

Apr 2009
It seems like the setting has quite a lot going on... I wonder if it's post-apocalypse?

The characters so far has one-dimensional and don't have any real motivation beyond the two protagonists "Muh sister" and "Muh dead buttbuddy".

Oct 27, 2020 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
Avvenirista said:
I checked the Magatsu Wahrheit game's website and I have to say that the game and TV series look nothing alike to me.
I wonder if this animation is done in the same vein as Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle.

It's a prequel to the game

Mar 2, 2021 4:49 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting to see the two sides so far with both not really coming off as pure good or pure evil but in the middle. That commander is one hell of a sadist and judging Leo's reaction to what he has witnessed I hope he defects although I get the feeling he'll stay because of Zaitz's death.

Aug 6, 2021 3:06 PM

Aug 2018
Nayout said:
Avvenirista said:

thanks for spoiling it, i was praising this show because the MC doesn't look or act like he is a main character. He looks and act like a background character would act it looks like in the game he start dressing like all douchy MC in anime
Oct 6, 2021 6:58 PM

Sep 2015
Gurifisu-Femto said:
Nayout said:

thanks for spoiling it, i was praising this show because the MC doesn't look or act like he is a main character. He looks and act like a background character would act it looks like in the game he start dressing like all douchy MC in anime

I'm sorry to tell you that neither of them are protagonists of the game, the protagonist is the player's avatar and they all appear as secondary characters in the plot
Oct 6, 2021 8:22 PM

Aug 2018
Nayout said:
Gurifisu-Femto said:

I'm sorry to tell you that neither of them are protagonists of the game, the protagonist is the player's avatar and they all appear as secondary characters in the plot
That's cool to know i dont play much Nintendo but im sure it is interesting.

More topics from this board

» The game (possible spoilers)

TamagoKaito3 - Dec 25, 2020

7 by Furyo_enjoyer »»
Dec 11, 2022 5:17 AM

Poll: » Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 29, 2020

54 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 25, 2021 10:58 PM

Poll: » Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 22, 2020

24 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 25, 2021 10:22 PM

Poll: » Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 15, 2020

27 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 25, 2021 9:48 PM

Poll: » Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 8, 2020

18 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 25, 2021 8:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.