Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2008 8:58 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, can't believe Sara is preagnant. But it was expected, since she was raped by those soldiers (or maybe just by the other one).
Also, that soldier was completely stupid, he just revealed the plan to Sara and then let her run away.
Apr 22, 2008 1:06 AM

Apr 2008
By far the heaviest episode of the series. Sara has had it the roughest out of everyone and the scene where she attempts to abort her child with a rock was pretty intense. Pretty much the only scene that really hit hard in the entire series for me. Still love watching it though.
Sep 15, 2008 9:33 PM

Dec 2007
This is such an intense show, I've never seen so many emotionally moving scenes in one episode before.

#NBHNC
Dec 1, 2008 11:22 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah, this series is great. This is one of the most realistic series (emotionally/physically) I have seen in a long while. I would have never thought starting this series that it would turn out so good. I was expecting a Hayoa Miyazaki type story with the artwork when I started, but this may even be better.
Jun 8, 2009 3:40 AM

May 2008
Wow - just when you think it couldn't get more intense this episode comes along. This is not going to end well at all.
Jul 28, 2009 11:56 PM

Oct 2008
Sara's pregnancy was already obvious from the time she killed the 3rd soldier and felt nauseous a short while later in his room.

Sometimes overly and blindly positive people really irritate me and Shu did that for me in this episode. His insistence that everything will be all right no matter what happens and that good things will happen to you as long as you live really annoyed the hell out of me.
Feb 12, 2010 11:51 PM

Apr 2008
Kayro said:
that soldier was completely stupid, he just revealed the plan to Sara and then let her run away.

I think he felt pity for her min*1:52*

What an engaging episode, Sara's trying to kill herself and her baby with a rock was nerve-racking.
TuzoAnimeFeb 12, 2010 11:54 PM
Mar 5, 2010 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
TuzoAnime said:
Sara's trying to kill herself and her baby with a rock was nerve-racking.

Yes.
Well, damn. Talk about intense o.o
It's so late and I want to watch the next two episodes today D: Eh, whatever. Who needs sleep when you have an emotionally-engaging story?
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 16, 2011 2:32 AM

Sep 2008
Fuck, now Sara deserves to kill everyone.
I'm just going to take a guess that Lala Ru will sacrifice herself for the world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2011 11:12 AM

Jan 2011
Cenedess said:

It's so late and I want to watch the next two episodes today D: Eh, whatever. Who needs sleep when you have an emotionally-engaging story?

Exactly what I was thinking. I've been unable to move from the screen. :/

I hope it all works out for Sara.
Mar 25, 2011 7:01 AM

Mar 2007
Shu is pro-life I see.
Feb 25, 2012 6:24 PM

May 2010
This show is full of contradictions.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 7, 2012 2:15 PM

May 2008
TYSM said:
Sara's pregnancy was already obvious from the time she killed the 3rd soldier and felt nauseous a short while later in his room.

Sometimes overly and blindly positive people really irritate me and Shu did that for me in this episode. His insistence that everything will be all right no matter what happens and that good things will happen to you as long as you live really annoyed the hell out of me.

No, she was sick because she's just killed someone there in a quite nasty way -___-

But I agree with your second point. Shu was annoyingly naive and insensitive with Sara. Even after he, himself was tortured in Hellywood.
I can't help but hate Lala Ru and Shu :/
Nov 2, 2012 2:58 AM

Aug 2012
I really don't like Shu after this episode, sure stop her from killing herself but the rest and forcing her to keep her baby. I loathe him now.
Nov 13, 2012 4:15 PM

Jun 2009
TYSM said:

It really wasn't all that obvious at all. I figured she just got sick because of the fact she killed another person, you see it all the time in fiction and I presume in real life. Also, I can't agree with you about Shu. Look, as long as you are ALIVE there is a possibility that things could get better. When you are DEAD, it's over no good or bad.

Confucius said:

That's probably the point, yeah. Life isn't all black and white and it certainly isn't simple.....surprising, isn't it?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2013 8:23 AM

May 2012
Right in the feels when the doctor confirmed she was pregnant... fuck they sure got me good with that... these last episodes are a bit slower but they count as a nice buildup for the last couple episodes! Shu's quite someone, was it a right decision to protect her from killing herself or not? Either way the spy soldier was quite retarded to tell their master plan to Sara...

I wonder what's next!
May 20, 2013 10:11 PM
Aug 2011
Sara continues to provide the most powerful scenes in this anime.

That soldier though, he just let his plan escape away from him...
Jun 24, 2013 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
Woah...
Jul 16, 2013 4:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Good things happen to good people.

Not in this series for sure.

Another powerful chapter, with Sara providing again the most gut wrenching moments. To her ordeal now we have to add being pregnant by one of her violators. Few fictional characters have ever suffered like she has.

Shu is a good and decent boy, but he's also incredibly naive and borderline stupid sometimes. How can he possibly force Sara to keep that baby and subject her to his nonsensical "Everything is going to be all right" drivel. Take a look around you Shu, not everything is going to be allright.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 20, 2013 1:22 AM

Dec 2010
Really irritated at the whole keep the rape baby message. Just keep treating victims like objects, much like their attackers, nice job.

Other than that really love this anime. Well aside from the obvious every little thing is gonna be alright BS.
Aug 24, 2013 1:12 AM

Jun 2013
Blazed88 said:
Really irritated at the whole keep the rape baby message. Just keep treating victims like objects, much like their attackers, nice job.

Even though the baby is a rape baby, if Sara gets rid of it, wouldn't she be as bad as the attackers? Sara did nothing wrong and she got raped. Even though the baby's not supposed to be there, it did nothing wrong, so we have no right to murder it. The rapists did the evil deed. And them, and only them, should be punished for it.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Aug 27, 2013 12:34 PM

Jan 2011
this ep did it for me, time to kick some anime outta my top 10 an include this one instead
Sep 11, 2013 12:19 AM

Sep 2012
Blazed88 said:
Really irritated at the whole keep the rape baby message. Just keep treating victims like objects
Quite the opposite.
Sep 11, 2013 12:27 AM

Jun 2013
nicklepickle1997 said:
Blazed88 said:

Even though the baby is a rape baby, if Sara gets rid of it, wouldn't she be as bad as the attackers? Sara did nothing wrong and she got raped. Even though the baby's not supposed to be there, it did nothing wrong, so we have no right to murder it. The rapists did the evil deed. And them, and only them, should be punished for it.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Nov 27, 2013 5:07 AM

Nov 2009
. . . Pretty sure one smack to the stomach that hard with that rock would have done the trick.

Anyways, praying that Sara shares the information she just obtains with the village, instead of just running in to a corner, not that one could really blame her if she did.
Jul 2, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2008
Hopefully she'll get an abortion because yeah, the message here is really messed up.
Jul 2, 2014 9:31 AM

Jan 2011
Necronomicon said:
Hopefully she'll get an abortion because yeah, the message here is really messed up.

why is it messed up?
Jul 2, 2014 9:41 AM

Nov 2008
The MC wants her to keep an unwanted fetus that resutled from rape, that's just odd... And the fetus is not an human being yet so abortion is still an opinion for the character, not that she actually choose anything yet.. being in the state of shock.
Jul 2, 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 2011
but in the end it was Sarahs choice, sparing the life of an unborn baby isnt (even if it was concieved from rape) isnt messed up
Jul 9, 2014 5:53 AM

Jan 2014
Sis is an amazing person ! Love her and her good deeds. :)
I wish nothing bad happen to her in the next episode...ˇ.ˇ
Nov 28, 2014 6:12 AM
Nov 2013
-WARNING: Ranting ahead-

Hating Shu for interfering with people's lives so much. Just let her be mann, seriously. You are nothing but a kid who has his optimism out of sheer stupidity and ignorance. So sick of this fake hypocrite with unrealistic regeneration powers. And wipe that cheeky smile off your face dude, it's sickening and disgusting. Cut all that cheerful talk as well, you are useless and you should just give up being the hero.

-End of rant-

That soldier just told Sara the whole plan and let her run away, that's just being stupid. And why is he suddenly acting nice all of a sudden? He wants to have some of Sara too? It's sickening.
Feb 12, 2015 8:00 PM

Dec 2012
daijobu my ass!

Mar 18, 2015 5:42 AM

Jul 2014
Confucius said:

lol. It a point of the show... the live is a contradiction, especially in despair.
Jun 11, 2015 4:28 PM

Mar 2012
Confucius said:

People in general are full of contradictions.
Aug 9, 2015 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode, very intense. The only thing keeping from liking this show is the one dimensional, over-the-top antagonist. I mean, this guy is as poorly written as the second SAO villain.
chizzlezAug 10, 2015 8:13 AM
Aug 30, 2015 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
This is the shittiest mc I've ever seen!
Sep 7, 2015 7:44 AM

Jan 2015
This is so intense.
Poor Sara. I don't blame her for anything. Bu then again, I can't blame Lala Ru for her state either. It's purely that lunatic's fault.
I don't exactly hate Shu, but he is quite annoying. Nabuca would have been a far better mc imo.
Feb 3, 2016 6:31 AM

Mar 2010
Cnon said:
This is the shittiest mc I've ever seen!

Well he is a kid you know keep that in mind.. Not every kid is tough especially not if you arent fan of wars i mean who the hell is.. Some take a different route than you would I agree his decisions are quite stupid but then again he is a child.. And the adults talked some sense into him. Tho lala ru wasnt any better and shes "old"

Im not saying i like shu tho :P

Well the sara scene was intense damn o.o poor girl already pregnant at this age this is so realiatic shich is what i usually like since ive seen too many brainless animes and moe stuff (which occasionally is nice dont get me wrong i like ecchi and such but i appreciate deeper or realistic stories more which i can relate to)
Feb 27, 2016 11:37 PM

Jul 2014
The Sara development is really interesting, a pretty good depiction of what happens to young girls/women in war-stricken countries. It's an unusally real depiction, and I think is really interesting. I got the feeling they're gonna push her to keep the child though, which sounds horrible. People, let her abort the child of her rapist - it sounded like the doctor was able to. A pregnancy is a real undertaking and being forced to be reminded of your attacker all through this ordeal and also when raising a child is not something a child like Sara should be FORCED to do.

I'm looking forward to the last two episodes! It feels like it won't get any happier and I'm wondering how they're gonna tie it up. Hopefully borh Hamdo and Abelia will get their comeuppance.
manzanaFeb 27, 2016 11:45 PM
Oct 1, 2016 3:57 PM
May 2015
Wow, this show is not kind to Sala. Also syu really needs to tone down the optimism.
Apr 9, 2017 7:35 AM

Dec 2010
Suddenly I thought this discussion was going to be about abortion and that a fetus is not yet a baby thus could be aborted... *sigh*

I guess it is due to different cultures but even from the point of conception, a life is already born so abortion means killing the baby.

Very emotional moment with Sara. I didn't know what to feel since this is probably the first time I watched something like this...
I also agree that Shu pissed me off very much this episode with his rant about how everything will be ok.
Though I would expect nothing less of a kid...
booyah10Apr 9, 2017 7:41 AM
Nov 20, 2017 8:26 AM
Nov 2015
Are these things what make those African countries poor and war-torn forever? Stupid leaders and revengeful but stupid civilians who instead of finding a way out, just perpetuates the eternal cycle of violence.
Nov 20, 2017 8:37 AM
Nov 2015
booyah10 said:
Suddenly I thought this discussion was going to be about abortion and that a fetus is not yet a baby thus could be aborted... *sigh*

Yep, in time of war, pp don't give a damn ab genteel problems like that. Don't have time. What's got Sara mad was not the child itself but the fact that she was impregnated by a man and that is the epitome of impurity. Abortion nowadays is mostly concerned about whether the mother can adequately, economically live after giving birth, and whether a child may have to live in poverty and educated. This is not concerned with that at all. Even she killed her child, will her life thereafter happier? No, because the problem she's having is impurity unto herself.

Nothing with abortion.
Dec 6, 2017 1:09 AM

Dec 2016
This was a pretty dark episode for Sara, and shit never would've though the series would go there in terms of her getting pregnant from rape. God this series is more than meets the eye... like a fuckin Transformer

Also the incoming doom for the next episode is so palpable I'm scared to watch it!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 15, 2017 10:51 AM

Sep 2013
This episode really highlighted (sometimes unintentionally) the sexism in their/our world.

Sure, Shu is a kid and stuff, but it's horrifying to see that he believes that - violently grabbing Sara's arms, basically telling her to just 'move on' after her rape, hitting her, telling her that she shouldn't abort - are good things to do even though she is a child and a rape survivor... (These last two actions were pretty romanticized by the show as well O.o)
And this (pretty dumb) soldier had a very creepy attitude with Sara too...
Mar 21, 2018 2:51 PM

Dec 2015
I disliked Shu pretty much from the beginning, but I have no words to say how much do I hate that brainless jerk now. Yes, sure as fuck slapping suicidal rape victim and giving her more false promises how everything will be all right is gonna help her, you insensitive idiot. I don't even want to go on about all that "good girls don't do abortion" bullshit.
Oct 20, 2018 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Shu's attitude got on my nerves a little bit here.
The Sara scene was so intense and the following as well!
Jan 20, 2019 4:04 AM

Oct 2013
wew lads. I thought to myself during that water reservoir scene Shu's handling of Sara would thoroughly enrage all the SJWs. I can see I called that lmao.

I imagine this is a cultural thing, because the show is definitely painting Sara's fetus as a real human life. I've no idea if Japan is on the "a fetus isn't a human" bandwagon yet, but that's certainly not what was being depicted in this show. And even if it is, it's important to remember Shu's still a child. His naive idealism is absolutely characteristic of his age.

but yeah, him pressing the "keep the rape baby" topic, holding against her will, all that shit... the salt is so strong I'm catching whiffs of it from over here.

I wonder if that soldier at the end is the same dude who handed Sara's handkerchief to her as she sobbed in the cell? It would explain his weak spot for and familiarity with her.

This was a terribly harrowing episode. I felt anxiety welling inside me as the cataclysm grows imminent.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 26, 2019 12:18 PM

Sep 2014
Darn it I thought I felt bad for Sara before but this just got even worse. I cant even begin to imagine how she must have felt, getting abducted from home, thrown into a nihilistic, dystopian warzone, all alone without anyone to even talk to, kept in a cell for who knows how long just to get raped by a bunch of brainwashed also abducted former child soldiers till she got pregnant, forced to murder someone with her bare hands to get freeall because she looked like lala ru, someone she never even met and then naive MC who promised her before everything will work out somehow shows up with the reason she got into this hell, living a peacefull happy life and doesnt even allow her to end her life because it will hurt the rape fetus. This might be the worst thing I ever saw in an anime.

Someone said Lala Ru had problems and was depressed, but never did anyone warn me about sara.

PS: good call @zadion I was wondering where I saw him before, might actually be that dude.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 30, 2019 8:02 AM

Mar 2017
How is Sara speaking Japanese? Isn't she from america and a young child? I don't know how many young kids from america would have learned Japanese fluently. I guess we just have to accept an anime will have everyone speaking in Japanese.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.