Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2020 10:03 AM
Jul 2018

Do you use it? Have you used it? Will you use it? What is the difference between a top friend and a regular friend for you on MAL?
Also who are your top friends, if you don't mind me asking?

I will update this OP with a list of my top friends once I have added them. If you are on my friend list and I didn't add you to it please don't take offense. Maybe we just don't reach out to each other enough. We need to try to talk more sometimes, y'know? But I am always busy so it can be tricky. Also, if you are in my Top 15 please don't feel obligated to add me to yours. It seems to work as like a personal note / bookmark so we can find people quickly.

For me a top friend on MAL will be someone that I:
- speak with regularly
- have had some great moments with
- something about them has really stood out
- we've got some things in common
- they have helped me out before in some way
- I know that I can go to them if I need something
- they don't unfriend me even though they don't always agree with me
- they make me laugh on the forum
- they say insightful things on the forum

My Top Friends (at the moment in no particular order)

It was a tough choice! There were about 30 people I wanted to put in there tbh. Some are not active anymore. Hope they will be back and didn't get banned or something.

Looks like you can only have 15 Top Friends so choose wisely!
I will also say that I consider some of you on MAL my top friends even though you are not even on my friend list lol. Well let me not say anything more. I don't want anybody to feel any jealousy towards each other. Friends are friends. We should be glad to have them. Of course we will always find that our relationships with each other change over time and one person may stand out as a more valuable friend than another person but all friends have value.
removed-userAug 12, 2020 10:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2020 10:37 AM

Aug 2014
Oh, nice. (That I'm on there. heh...) I actually just started using the top friends feature yesterday, to keep track of a few people.
Aug 12, 2020 10:45 AM
Aug 2018
I haven’t really made any what I consider to be top friends on here yet so no. I have people on my friends list of course but they don’t really meet the criteria of being a best friend or top friend. I guess I don’t spend enough time on here because I used to have tons of friends on another forum but that’s because I spent all day everyday on it.

Aug 12, 2020 10:54 AM

Jan 2009
i actually do not know what it does really lol
Aug 12, 2020 10:58 AM

Aug 2014
deg said:

It's just a short list you can make of particular people on your friends list to make them easier to keep track of.

Unfortunately, it's not so intuitive to access, as there is no link on your profile; instead, you have to click your user name at the top right, then Friends.

https://myanimelist.net/myfriends.php
Aug 12, 2020 11:04 AM

Jan 2009
SadMadoka said:
deg said:

It's just a short list you can make of particular people on your friends list to make them easier to keep track of.

Unfortunately, it's not so intuitive to access, as there is no link on your profile; instead, you have to click your user name at the top right, then Friends.

https://myanimelist.net/myfriends.php

ah thanks i just checked it now so you can see their last anime updates and thats it it seems
Aug 12, 2020 11:18 AM

Aug 2014
deg said:
ah thanks i just checked it now so you can see their last anime updates and thats it it seems

I don't even care about that feature. For me, it's just to separate them from the hundreds of randos (who have never spoken to me) on my friends list.
Aug 12, 2020 11:39 AM

Oct 2018
That feature actually works? It was bugged last time I checked.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Aug 12, 2020 11:57 AM

Jan 2009
Yes, I've been using it for years in the same manner as @SadMadoka: to have a shortcut for for me relevant people on my friend list or those who used to be
Well, I have 15 people there from which 8 removed me. Well, with one of who removed me, I still could talk normally here and still have them in a messenger, but we haven't talked directly in over a year.
I could also talk to another person in a game for a short while, but it was years ago.
From the 7, who still have me in their friend list: 1 seems to have completely ignored me, even though we're still friends here and in the messenger.
1 hasn't come online in years, one doesn't seem to be active in the forums any longer and I haven't talked to them in years
There are only 3 people I write to in messengers and about 2-3 people I write to over the forums

deg said:
That's not all: you always have a direct link to your com-to-com conversation and a link to send them a private message, you see their birthdays if they have displayed it as well as their last activity, and they will stay in place even when they change their names or remove you
Aug 12, 2020 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
Noboru said:

deg said:
That's not all: you always have a direct link to your com-to-com conversation and a link to send them a private message, you see their birthdays if they have displayed it as well as their last activity, and they will stay in place even when they change their names or remove you

i see i might explore it more sometimes when im motivated
Aug 12, 2020 12:05 PM
ぎりぎりセーフ

Oct 2015
I use it for IRL friends only, so I have an easy way to get to their profile/lists. Although I do forget how to navigate to the top friends page occasionally. Don't use it much though.

Aug 12, 2020 12:46 PM

May 2013
That's cool I'm on your top friend section. I should actually use it for once to keep tabs on people lol.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Aug 12, 2020 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
UNlCORN said:

What was it like before?

SadMadoka said:
deg said:

I don't even care about that feature. For me, it's just to separate them from the hundreds of randos (who have never spoken to me) on my friends list.

Yeah thats the way I am looking at it. Not that I have so many on my list. I wish it was a bit more than 15 though. I think it should be 20 - 30 people.
Aug 12, 2020 12:50 PM

Jun 2015
i don't really have enough friends to make it worth the effort

Aug 12, 2020 12:54 PM

Oct 2018
AngryAkko said:
UNlCORN said:

What was it like before?
It would scramble up my friend list.

I'll go try out the feature and see if it's working again on my end.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Aug 12, 2020 12:54 PM

Jan 2009
UNlCORN said:
What is bugged?

deg said:
i see i might explore it more sometimes when im motivated
Sure, go ahead

Beepern said:
I use it for IRL friends only, so I have an easy way to get to their profile/lists. Although I do forget how to navigate to the top friends page occasionally.
I wish to be friends in person with at least 3 of my "Top Friends"
You can click on the button with your name in the top right when you're logged in, then choose "Friends" from the drop-down menu and then, you should see your "Top Friends" right away. Otherwise, go to the left and select "Top Friends" in the drop-down menu
Aug 12, 2020 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
I had never know such feature even exists.
Aug 12, 2020 12:57 PM
Aug 2020
I dont even use the normal friend feature lol
Aug 12, 2020 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
I have no idea what this thing is. Sounds confusing af
Aug 12, 2020 1:30 PM

Feb 2019
Oh, you're the only one who knows who your top friends are? I was hoping for a high school revival through publicly advertised cliques... Now that's a bummer.
Aug 12, 2020 1:46 PM
May 2019
I had no idea that feature even existed lol.
Aug 12, 2020 1:50 PM

May 2014
I don't even remember who my mal friends are tbh.
I've been here way too long...
Aug 12, 2020 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
I never knew this feature existed lol. I don't really talk to the people I'm friends with on here, so I only added my IRL friends.
Aug 13, 2020 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Oh, you're the only one who knows who your top friends are? I was hoping for a high school revival through publicly advertised cliques... Now that's a bummer.

In school I was the guy who mostly hung around with the people that just happened to live along my walk route to and from school. I could hang with anybody. The nerdy kids, the loners, the popular kids. I was in the top classes but I didn’t care for popularity. I only cared about getting to know people because everyone were different and interesting. And I loved to make people laugh back then.

I was never bullied and I never bullied anyone. I did get into fights and stuff though. My head of year thought I was some ringleader or something because even though I became a prefect I still had some friends that got into trouble a lot. I got into trouble sometimes too.

Alsp, can you really blame me right now for trying to check who’s really got my back around here? Considering all the recent drama I need to check for any snakes in the grass. Besides, this is a fun way we can all look at ourselves and how we interact with each other. I actually like this forum and believe it or not I want us ALL to be able to get along and not harbour grudges against each other for having different views / opinions/ experiences.

@noboru I wanted to add you to my top friends aswell. It was a close call!

BlueFroster said:
I dont even use the normal friend feature lol

Lmao that really cracked me up! Good one! ☝️
Aug 13, 2020 12:34 AM

Jun 2016
I wasn't aware of that until now. I have very few friends so I don't think I need it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 13, 2020 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
Theo1899 said:
I wasn't aware of that until now. I have very few friends so I don't think I need it.

If you add too many people it can get a bit fiddly to find the person you want to send a quick message to so it comes in handy for that reason. It’s a nice shortcut. Now I won’t have to look for a post on the form by the person or click through 12 pages of friends to find them or try to remember exactly how they spell their username for the search bar.

ysphyr said:
I have no idea what this thing is. Sounds confusing af

You are actually a person that I’ve always wanted to have on my friend list but you have fr disables or me blocked or something. And it seems you don’t want to add any friends at all. You’ve also cleared all of your comments so I must say it is surprising to see you in a thread like this 💋
Aug 13, 2020 1:49 AM

Jul 2019
Aug 13, 2020 1:55 AM

Apr 2019
AngryAkko said:
Do you use it? Have you used it? Will you use it? What is the difference between a top friend and a regular friend for you on MAL?

I don't use it since I don't have that much contacts here in MAL, but if I do ever use it or my friend-list gets too big, you'll definitely be up there

Difference between top/regular friends are top friends are people I consider interesting

Aug 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Mar 2018
I will never allow myself to partake in the act of nepotism.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 13, 2020 2:07 AM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Like many others, I had no idea this existed. Is there any particular point to it?

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 13, 2020 4:07 AM

Jan 2009
Lux_Lucis said:
horridhendy said:
Like many others, I had no idea this existed. Is there any particular point to it?

It's for friend collectors to keep track of actual friends.
Some people just gotta catch 'em all.
lol, this might apply to a minority. Many people are just open for random requests. And then there can be popular people who easily befriend multiple people as well

@AngryAkko:
Thank you, I feel honoured :)
I wonder if I am in the "Top Friends" list of someone
If so: feel free to reach me in private
Aug 13, 2020 4:23 AM

Jun 2020
i dont even have friends on this website :D
Aug 13, 2020 4:37 AM
Dec 2010
I have no need for such features yet. Might as well call it Pinned friends.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Aug 13, 2020 4:44 AM

Sep 2018
ranking your friends is kinda retarded
Aug 13, 2020 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
Lux_Lucis said:
horridhendy said:

So true. Pokemon ruined a whole generation. Maybe two generations.

Let’s get some of that nostalgia in here, shall we? Friend watch stuff together! 😄

Fun fact: I had to use a couple of Master Balls to catch some of you MAL Pokemon 😛

mrnicotine said:
i dont even have friends on this website :D

Looking for friends? Why don’t you start with me?

And you know what? @sadmadoka love a bit of it. I think he has space to add to his collection too.

Noboru said:
Lux_Lucis said:

lol, this might apply to a minority. Many people are just open for random requests. And then there can be popular people who easily befriend multiple people as well

@AngryAkko:
Thank you, I feel honoured :)
I wonder if I am in the "Top Friends" list of someone
If so: feel free to reach me in private

Had some food times reading your posts. And I told you before I read your profile before I even made my first post and your page was very inspiring!

To anybody who likes my page - it was inspired by YOURS!

BrightFlashLight said:
I have no need for such features yet. Might as well call it Pinned friends.

I wanted you in my top aswell btw! We had some great little chats and we both have a MFC.

Beepern said:
I use it for IRL friends only, so I have an easy way to get to their profile/lists. Although I do forget how to navigate to the top friends page occasionally. Don't use it much though.

iiibunnykitkat said:
I never knew this feature existed lol. I don't really talk to the people I'm friends with on here, so I only added my IRL friends.

Having irl friends that watch anime and are also on MAL must be a really great feeling! Good on the both of you!

I have gotten some people to watch anime but man am I glad that they can’t see my posts on here lmao 😂

-Shinzo said:
AngryAkko said:

I don't use it since I don't have that much contacts here in MAL, but if I do ever use it or my friend-list gets too big, you'll definitely be up there

Difference between top/regular friends are top friends are people I consider interesting

Thanks my good Christian, brother. It is as though our lives are mirrored. You were bad then you became a good Christian and a good person. I was good then I became a bad Christian and a bad person. 😥

The way that you share scriptures and insight into the faith is phenomenal! Never seen anything like it! So thorough and so well laid out. You make it so simple and easy to digest. May God continue to bless you richly. And please pray for my soul that I should be saved. All my parents want is for me to be with them in paradise when the time is right.
removed-userAug 13, 2020 8:06 AM
Aug 13, 2020 8:30 AM

Jul 2015
@Lux_Lucis Come in my thread we have action, girls, cookies and shit-throwing contests!
Aug 13, 2020 8:53 AM

Jan 2009
AngryAkko said:
Had some food times reading your posts. And I told you before I read your profile before I even made my first post and your page was very inspiring!
Food times? xD
Yes, I remember our conversation in the dreams thread and I'm pleased to hear that
Since the topic is about "Top Friends", I will use this occasion and thank the "Top Friend" again who left me for giving me the inspiration with my profile design. Not saying who it is since they don't want any attention, but I'm thankful for them as well as to their friend, who helped me with the BBCoding of my signature.
I also want to thank another "Top Friend" who left me for still writing inspiring posts.

Lux_Lucis said:

Yeah, they are friend collectors too.
Passive collecting is still collecting.
It isn't intended as part of a collection in that case, but rather like having "Followers" or "Subscribers"
Aug 13, 2020 8:58 AM

Feb 2015
I've known about it but I don't intend to use it, though I didn't know about this feature until last year.

I might start using it if I also get a coin of passage to get across the Styx, and then I'd only answer with a "yes." But until then, no. Don't care for such.
Aug 13, 2020 9:07 AM

Aug 2014
ramylicious said:
ranking your friends is kinda retarded

For me, it's not ranking; merely a way to gather the more important ones in a convenient place. (Or as another put it, to keep track of actual friends.)
Aug 13, 2020 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
Lux_Lucis said:
The purpose of a higher friend count is a higher friend count.
When accepting a random request you just want that +1.
Not necessarily. It's a chance to meet new people and get to know them, even if it has started as a "random" request
Aug 13, 2020 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Xstasy said:
I had no idea that feature even existed lol.

How will you pick 15 people out of 2k? What would your requirements be?

Lux_Lucis said:
AngryAkko said:

So true. Pokemon ruined a whole generation. Maybe two generations.

Let’s get some of that nostalgia in here, shall we? Friend watch stuff together! 😄

Fun fact: I had to use a couple of Master Balls to catch some of you MAL Pokemon 😛

I doubt that you can catch all the Malmons with just balls.

Lol Malmons. Maybe I can add some flavour to the balls. Sweeten the deal. I can't offer cookies for joining my friend list even though I am on the dark side right now. But I can offer salted chocolates!

@noboru ^ food times lol. Damn typos get me on the phone every time. Can't catch em all! Yeah your dream interpretations are a real talent and a sight to behold! Bless you laddie!

Ghemotoc said:
@Lux_Lucis Come in my thread we have action, girls, cookies and shit-throwing contests!

Did... Did someone say Girl Scout Cookies?

^ I am actually talking about the marijuiana strain lol

TheQuietLife said:
I don't have enough friends that I need to distinguish between them. I've got all my friends on MAL set as top friends because when you click on the friends list it shows top friends first and its slightly faster to have all of them saved there already.

That sounds nice actually. "All of my friends are my top friends." No one left behind lol.

Konradikon said:
I've known about it but I don't intend to use it, though I didn't know about this feature until last year.

I might start using it if I also get a coin of passage to get across the Styx, and then I'd only answer with a "yes." But until then, no. Don't care for such.

You are one of my top friends who isn't even on my friend list :(

removed-userAug 13, 2020 4:03 PM
Aug 13, 2020 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
I don't even have friends on MAL uwu... like 8 years using this to have a record of the animes and mangas that I had seen but just like 2 weeks trying to be part of this community
/* FALLING SNOW */
.list-container:after {
position: fixed;
left: 0;
top: 0;
content: '';
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
background-image: url(https://i.imgur.com/uVN2Nk8.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/3d7VHiA.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/s0pY1pb.png);
animation: SNOW 20s linear infinite;
z-index: 10000;
pointer-events: none !important;
}

@keyframes SNOW {
0% { background-position: 0 0, 0 0, 0 0; }
100% { background-position: 500px 1000px, 400px 400px, 300px 300px; }
}
Aug 13, 2020 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Yangire said:
didn't even know it existed :o dunno seems kinda useless?
well most of the interaction i have w malers is on discord anyway.

Discord moves too fast for me. Its like Twitch chat sometimes when a popular streamer or tournament is on. And it just doesn't generally feel good for me down there. Its like I'm underground and I'm fumbling around in the dark then I just get banned somehow from every damn place I join. Only really useful for one on one messaging or coaching for me. I did have some fun in some twitch groups when I tried my hand at streaming. I joined one called Twitch Kittens. There were alot of hot cosplayer girls in there. Some saw my picture on Twitter and they said I was hot (bragging alert) well shit they did say that *shrugs*. And I never even donated to one bitch twitch girl. I have since deleted that Twitter anyway. Felt really weird.

When I was playing Overwatch hardcore I had a Grandmaster D.Va coach who was trying to help me get from High Diamond to Master since I was only ever able to dip my toe in Master rank. His coaching was amazing! Wanna see a video? (I'm playing D.Va with him giving tips on the videos. You can also hear my voice on the microphone from the gameplay)

Anyway, in the end it was Hammond (Wrecking Ball) that got me to hang in Master until I got bored of playing him. But using the advice given from the coach. He did it for free too! Great guy! Wonder what he is up to now. I know he said he liked to play League. (I've never played League btw). I gave him a shout on Reddit and the post blew up lol! He got alot of other people come to him because of that. See, I am a good person too sometimes!

gonzaar said:
I don't even have friends on MAL uwu... like 8 years using this to have a record of the animes and mangas that I had seen but just like 2 weeks trying to be part of this community

Same old story. It happened a bit like that for most of us. Everyone makes an account for the list and doesn't know about /participate in the forum until later. MAL should make the forum more visible but they won't.
removed-userAug 13, 2020 4:06 PM
Aug 14, 2020 2:15 AM

Jan 2009
Lux_Lucis said:
Noboru said:
Not necessarily. It's a chance to meet new people and get to know them, even if it has started as a "random" request

Let us not use the exceptionally rare outliers to dismiss the entire data set when usually the opposite is done.
You may be right but it's rare and probably you're biased about it because your personality drives you to seek out the good in people or at least to dig deeper into them.
You may have a point, especially when it comes to seeking out the good in people

@AngryAkko: Haha, thanks xD
So did you mean "good times" or what did you want to say?
NoboruAug 14, 2020 2:20 AM
Aug 14, 2020 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
Ghemotoc said:

Did... Did someone say Girl Scout Cookies?

^ I am actually talking about the marijuiana strain lol[/quote]

Dat's what I smoke these days.
Aug 14, 2020 6:33 AM

Jul 2011
Never heard of that feature nor am I interested in it. I know pretty well who my "top" friends are.

Aug 14, 2020 4:22 PM

May 2018
ive never even heard of it until, well, just now...

also nice, the inbetweeners, true culture
Aug 14, 2020 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
I have 1 “Top” friend on MAL, but it’s someone I would be friends with in-person if there was a chance and not just to see their anime/manga lists. I don’t really feel the need to have 15 Top friends, (seems more like something to earn, rather than given).
Aug 16, 2020 2:43 PM

Sep 2017
Can someone tell me how it even works?
خ
Aug 16, 2020 4:24 PM

Jan 2009
Fatephile said:
Can someone tell me how it even works?

1. Click on your username on top right of any MAL page while being logged in
2. Select "Friends" in the drop-down menu
3. Go to the top left. The tab "My Friends" is selected by default. There is another drop-down menu where you can select all friends, online recently or recently added. Choose the sorting of your liking
4. Now you will get your friends listed there and can click on up to 15 names to add them as "Top Friend" directly under their names
5. By default, if you go to the "Friends" section again, it will show you the "Top Friends". If not, just switch to it again after you've finished adding everyone you want to add there
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The Nsider has come back to the forums!

The-Nsider - 5 hours ago

8 by Auron_ »»
9 seconds ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy? ( 1 2 )

deg - Mar 29

61 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
10 minutes ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

11 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
43 minutes ago

» Has anyone ever told you in real life that "You are enough"?

LenRea - Apr 30

34 by Auron_ »»
48 minutes ago

» Have you tried the WacDonalds sauce?

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

9 by BitChilly »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.