Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2008 8:47 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was actually wondering what happened to Sara. Glad she is alive ^^
Wonder where Shu and Lala Ru are going now.
Feb 1, 2009 8:25 PM

Jan 2008
Abelia has to come to her senses and kill that crazy bastard soon.
Feb 3, 2009 9:51 AM

Dec 2008
Seriously. This show is killing me with anxiety.

I really hope it ends with some shred of hope.
Feb 11, 2010 10:50 PM

Apr 2008
That tentacle monster was constantly persistent :). Yay Lala-Ru talked and the white girl is alive.
Jul 28, 2010 12:40 PM
Aug 2008
Seriously I think that Sara is the best character of the show!! love her!!
Nov 20, 2010 11:56 PM
Jun 2009
papa261190 said:

she is easily the most likable character. i find it really annoying she gets little to no screen time
Feb 28, 2011 12:26 AM

Jul 2007
XxMalcolm said:
papa261190 said:

she is easily the most likable character. i find it really annoying she gets little to no screen time

yeah im not sure why sara or Lala ru get many lines, its like there both very quite. Like zombies damn near. I guess its just because of the tone of this anime and the directors want to convey that type of quite, loneliness and sadness as a central theme of the show, im sure things will pick up later on though and the ending to this show may come out showing some kind of happiness or hope.

Apr 18, 2011 1:34 PM
Jun 2008
link9us said:
XxMalcolm said:
papa261190 said:

yeah im not sure why sara or Lala ru get many lines, its like there both very quite. Like zombies damn near. I guess its just because of the tone of this anime and the directors want to convey that type of quite, loneliness and sadness as a central theme of the show, im sure things will pick up later on though and the ending to this show may come out showing some kind of happiness or hope.

I think its explained for Lala Ru why she's so quiet. Its because she probably is greatly weakened by using her powers, and thus having less energy then a normal person...

Good episode, Lala ru gave us a clear picture of this whole world with just a few words
Dec 16, 2011 5:27 AM

Oct 2009
SARA GOT PICKED UP YAY!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2012 4:31 AM

Aug 2012
i like Lala Ru a lot more after this episode, but I have to say that monster has downsyndrome. Nice way to go and kill itself.
Nov 12, 2012 2:40 PM

Jun 2009
Good episode, Lala ru gave us a clear picture of this whole world with just a few words

Pretty much this. There was so much truth and I think the fact that this is really the first time she's REALLY talked added even more impact. Of course, her description of the world they are in definitely can be applied our world as well.

I think the show is building something up with Sara, what I don't know.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2013 7:13 AM

May 2012
A slow episode but well we do know that Sara is alive ;D
Apr 16, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2010
Ah so Lala-Ru is the personification of nature. The military forcing her to create water for them is a metaphor for humans over-exploiting the environment in times of war.
sauveterreApr 16, 2013 9:51 PM
May 20, 2013 9:18 PM
Aug 2011
Yanoflies said:
SARA GOT PICKED UP YAY!

Now i'll hope that the person who picked her up will be good to her.
Jun 25, 2013 2:19 PM

Dec 2008
La La Rue doesn't want to deplete her life for humans anymore, but it's a human that's been risking his life to save her and she hasn't even thanked him. She's complaining about the ungrateful nature of humans, but really she's no better.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 15, 2013 4:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm so happy that Sara got picked up. Now I only hope whoever did pick her up was a decent fellow and not a member of some homicidal cult/army like Hellywood is.

The second half of the episode reminded me of the movie Tremors. Lucky for them they found some grenades.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 19, 2013 10:13 PM
Jan 2012
Villetta_Nu said:
La La Rue doesn't want to deplete her life for humans anymore, but it's a human that's been risking his life to save her and she hasn't even thanked him. She's complaining about the ungrateful nature of humans, but really she's no better.

Sent with Mal Updater

I see what you're trying to say, but I think it's a more 'no words have to be spoken' type of gratitude. Anyways, Lala-Ru wasn't really complaining as much about the ingratitude of humans than about their selfishness/greediness. Definitely, most people other than Shu would not be able to stand the constant silence of Lala-Ru, but her care and thankfulness for Shu are pretty clear during the issue with the desert monster.
Aug 23, 2013 10:51 AM

Jan 2011
glad that Sara was saved but i hope she doesnt have to suffer anymore, Shu moves pretty fast for a kid who got shot in the leg

Villetta_Nu said:

she has already saved his life twice, no need for thanks, her actions are more important
Aug 23, 2013 10:57 PM

Jun 2013
silversaint said:
glad that Sara was saved but i hope she doesnt have to suffer anymore, Shu moves pretty fast for a kid who got shot in the leg

Villetta_Nu said:

she has already saved his life twice, no need for thanks, her actions are more important

Actions speak louder than words.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 26, 2013 9:10 AM

Nov 2009
. . . Hrmmm, now I know I've read a manga with an extremely similar plot to this in regards to a being who could make water at the expense of her own life . . . I think it might have been a one-shot called H20 or something, but girl faced the same dilemma, thanked at first, then expected, and then refusal lead to killing.
Jul 7, 2014 4:12 AM

Jan 2014
A bit different episode. Liked it though. ^____^
I don't know either if there are any good people
left on this world but it won't do me any harm to
look for them, right? And to act like one of them.
Nov 28, 2014 3:19 AM
Nov 2013
What is the point of this episode? So out of context, and the emotions are so forced. I didn't feel anything at all in this episode, episode 7 was amazing and now this is disappointing
Feb 4, 2015 2:05 AM
Apr 2013
RavenWish said:
What is the point of this episode? So out of context, and the emotions are so forced. I didn't feel anything at all in this episode, episode 7 was amazing and now this is disappointing

How was this episode diffferent from the previous ones? It has the same strengths and flaws imo. It was sufficiently tragic with the usual pessimistic commentary on human society, with some trials for the main character but as usual a certain amount of invulnerability...

Overall I'm finding this anime to be pretty effective. Interested to see how it ends.

sauveterre said:
Ah so Lala-Ru is the personification of nature. The military forcing her to create water for them is a metaphor for humans over-exploiting the environment in times of war.

Yeah, good theory!

Hannah_Ana said:

Um, what? That's a bit uncalled for!

It's true that they seem to be wanting to portray her as relatively self-confident. That's a good trait though.
Jun 11, 2015 11:49 AM

Mar 2012
The desert monster reminded me of a Legend of Zelda dungeon boss.
It was great to see a conversation between Lala Ru and Shu that wasn't one-sided for once.
sauveterre said:

Nice analysis. :)
Sep 7, 2015 5:50 AM

Jan 2015
Did that maniac "Play Games" with Abelia too?
Feb 3, 2016 4:35 AM

Mar 2010
Ok i dont get abelia anymore that guy is just crazy.. He first slaps her then adores her and is crazy obsessed with lala ru... He seems a bit yangire or so xP

I feel sorry for lala ru tbh :( poor girl.. And ofc for sara as wellbut im glad shes alive..
Mar 15, 2017 4:19 AM

Feb 2016
It's like talking to a dead fish. Shu is a cool cat, but I am disappointed that there has been zero character development.

He is a walking plot armor, with not much cool factor and backup to make it less obvious. I wish Shu and the corp leaders were at least young adults, which would make his strong stance on non-violence more legitimate.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 4, 2017 2:50 AM

Dec 2016
I've got to imagine that Shu and Lala Ru are gonna run into Sara and the guy that saved her pretty soon and boy am I exited because hopefully they come up with a plan to take down King Hamdo and Hellywood!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 4, 2018 10:51 PM
Jan 2018
Rosny said:
It's like talking to a dead fish. Shu is a cool cat, but I am disappointed that there has been zero character development.

He is a walking plot armor, with not much cool factor and backup to make it less obvious. I wish Shu and the corp leaders were at least young adults, which would make his strong stance on non-violence more legitimate.

Personally, this is the only downside of the show (except the obviously old af animation, but I can easily overlook that). And I swear, if Hamdo was to fire Hellywood's nuclear cannon on Shu, he'd be up and running in less than an episode.
Oct 20, 2018 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Some elements of this world remind me of Nausicäa, I like this. The sandstorm, the wasteland, the desert planet and the feeling of the landscape and monsters. This monster is really something, like this thing. xD
Good to see the outside world and I'm so glad that Sara is alive.

Finally Lalaru spoke more than one short (or longer) sentence and shared some of her thoughts with Shu.
I liked that she thanks him indirectly by giving him water, because she said people don't mean it, when they thank her and they don't care about her getting weaker.
Jan 18, 2019 10:04 PM

Oct 2013
Quaint episode. Lalaru finally opens up and it turns out she's snide and condescending. YEEHAW

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 12, 2019 1:21 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Maaaan tentacle monsters back in the day were so rude. Look at it. Trying to drag you down into the sand. Be a man and handle your business out in the open. And then as soon as it was exposed it was getting all excessively dominant. Like, know your place. If people can escape then let them be. Don't go chasing. So rude.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 10, 2019 8:31 PM

Jun 2019
This episode was basically Tremors. And just like Tremors it was very good.

Sara's alive, I guess somehow she didn't freeze to death or suffocate in that sand.

Damn, Hamdo straight up called Abelia a stupid bitch! I mean, she is, but damn!

I guess we finally get a bit of character development for Lala-Ru. She's starting to look more like an actual character and not just a plot device. Hopefully she opens up a bit.

I wonder what happened to the world. I think nuclear war is pretty obvious but the world looks crazy. The landscapes are beautiful, and so alien.

That tentical monster... I've seen enough hentai to know where that's going. They killed that thing just like in Tremors, they even hid on top of the rocks too. I'm confident someone on the production team must've seen that movie.

This show is really interesting so far, I'm honestly surprised it doesn't have a bigger following.
Aug 15, 2020 12:43 PM

Aug 2017
That sand monster looked like something straight from Tatooine

In the end Shu claimed to have lost his boot, but in fact he didn't.

Shu is a cool cat, but I am disappointed that there has been zero character development.

there has been zero character development.

What.

I honestly liked Shu and Lala-Ru here. You really have to dive into the characters' minds and read their emotions to understand what's going on. Gladly, we see Lala-Ru's progression at the end.
And I really enjoyed that talk about dawn/sunset. Almost like for Shu living is easy and the new day is something to look up to, while for Lala-Ru living is difficult and she wants the day to end ASAP. Hence why she dislikes the sun, but likes the sunset.
St0rmbladeAug 15, 2020 12:51 PM
Jan 11, 2023 2:38 AM

Jul 2017
very cute episode, i liked the fact that Lala ru is beginning to show her true self to Shu
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 30, 2023 9:01 PM

Dec 2022
Lala Ru had more characterisation in this episode alone than every prior episode combined. I guess it makes sense, since she had someone to interact with. Stuck in a gilded cage with only Hamdo as "company" wouldn't make me talkative either.

That monstrous plant must be intelligent to some extent. There's no way it would be after Lala Ru's pendant unless it somehow knew it could generate water. It also deprived Shu of both the bike and his kukri, as if just to inconvenience him. Seems like it wasn't smart enough to avoid ingesting the inexplicable sand bomb though, but who would've expected it would have that much explosive power? The scenery in this was astounding too, especially when those desert pillars were illuminated at night. One of my favourite episodes so far, and possibly my favourite overall.
Archean-ReturnMar 30, 2023 9:05 PM

Shaded Horizon

Jun 21, 2023 6:03 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Abelia should just kill Hamdo honestly. Who would be mad at her taking control. She’s far smarter and much more capable as well.

Lala-Ru perspective on her gift is interesting and much more reasonable for her acting the way that she does but I hope we get more on her thought process as well, there’s so many avenues this can be taken.

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.