Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2020 3:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ahh, the discord between brothers begins! What a tense note to end this chapter.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
May 20, 2020 6:15 AM
Sep 2019
I thought people in those times were conservative like the men have to marry the girl first and then sleep with her 🤷‍♀️ Im kinda shookt by YUHI
May 20, 2020 10:02 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I feel like I can vaguely see the un-spiral of things from here, that ultimately leads to Yu-Hon abolishing the priesthood and his general rampage on neighbouring countries. Though the mystery still remains for me how Il goes from revering the Crimson King's bloodline to loathing it: does that happen now or only after Yona is born with crimson hair?

Guess we have a number of backstory chapters still to go. The monthly releases aren't helping T_T
May 20, 2020 10:41 AM

Jan 2019
It's been a while since we saw Ik-soo/Ik-su. Hopefully he's doing okay in the present without anyone taking care of him.
May 20, 2020 10:45 AM
Mar 2015
More background to the history of the royal house and the crimson dragon
May 20, 2020 2:20 PM
Sep 2019
It's been a while since I was left at the end of the episode actually looking forward to seeing what's next. Good! Nice to see young Ik-Soo and Kashi. And that is the bodyguard who is stalking Yona nowadays, isn't he?
May 20, 2020 8:09 PM

Feb 2018
Ok guys I must confess: when I saw the High Priest I immediately thought "OMG HE IS SOO-WON'S FATHER!!!". But then I looked carefully and just thought "maybe is he related to Tae-Jun?"

idk I think I'm just imagining too much.

I really excited to see how things ended with Il killing his own brother... I feel sorry for them
May 21, 2020 8:56 AM

Jul 2015
This was a interesting chapter because we get to see how was life in Kouka when there was a high priest. Il was kinda creepy for me, focusing in the crimson king blood and stuff, so I get why Soo-won’s father was so angry. It will be really interesting to get the whole background for our main characters because the whole picture will give us the chance to understand where the story is headed and the ending that Sensei is planning.
May 21, 2020 9:22 AM

Jun 2012
Hhmmn, can't still see who's in the wrong here, seems this backstory have more deeper revelations to come so I'll just go to have wait for now.
May 21, 2020 2:37 PM

Nov 2018
I am very confused as to who is whose parent.

May 22, 2020 1:33 AM

Sep 2010
Kineta said:
I feel like I can vaguely see the un-spiral of things from here, that ultimately leads to Yu-Hon abolishing the priesthood and his general rampage on neighbouring countries. Though the mystery still remains for me how Il goes from revering the Crimson King's bloodline to loathing it: does that happen now or only after Yona is born with crimson hair?

Guess we have a number of backstory chapters still to go. The monthly releases aren't helping T_T

This might be premature but IMO, my theory is that Il has massive inferiority toward his brother, whom he probably misunderstands and grows to hate thanks to the High Priest "guidance" (afaik, it's mentioned before the High Priests have killed and deposed kings, making them have a significant amount of power in Kouka). Which gets 'justified' when Yuhon snaps back against the clergy. Looking at his reaction to Yon-hi's bloodline, maybe he resented his brother was getting everything even if he didn't care about Hiryuu while he, a faithful follower, didn't. Rejection, envy, inferiority feelings twisted him, on top he likely misunderstood his brother who truly loved him and if he sometimes scolded him was for his sake. After living in his shadow from birth, and while he probably also loved him, love can grow into hate and resentment through misunderstandings and manipulation when Il was impressionable, isolated and prey to a cult.

There were hints such resentment gets directed at Soo-Won even when he was very young. Remember that time he glared at a goddamn child because Yona took him to the shrine? I used to think Yuhon tried to assassinate Yona and Kashi died saving her as the cliche goes, but looking at his behavior (even at his most ruthless), I find that rather difficult to buy for now. Especially because he accepted the illness baggage. But maybe Il assumed he schemed that (and someone framed him to facilitated Il's jealousy and paranoia), because in his mind, plagued by his complex, he had won the "Throne" and the "Hiryuu heir" and his brother was envious of him (while Yuhon never cared about that). It may also solve how could Il kill Yuhon, Yuhon probably didn't fight back because he actually loves his brother.

You can see his obsession about Hiryuu stuff and resentment in that scene of his death Soo Won's dream. He thinks his daughter as Hiryuu reborn mostly. A normal parent dying words and thoughts would be of concern for their child, rather than rub on the face about how Yona is the "real King Hiryuu" to someone who doesn't give a damn about that (but in Il's mind, he probably thought Soo Won did).

I'm feeling kind of bad for Yona right now. Unlike Soo Won, whose parents undoubtedly love him. Did her father love her because she was Yona or because she was King Hiryuu reborn? Like a fanatic zealot. How about her mother? Kashi being a priestess makes me hesitate now. If she died to protect her, was it because of her love toward a child, or her faith to what she represents?

tsukileh said:
Ok guys I must confess: when I saw the High Priest I immediately thought "OMG HE IS SOO-WON'S FATHER!!!". But then I looked carefully and just thought "maybe is he related to Tae-Jun?"

But he doesn't look like Soo Won at all. Soo Won very similar in appearance to Hiryuu, only with light colored hair of his mother's family.
ThessMay 22, 2020 1:45 AM
May 22, 2020 7:12 AM
Sep 2019
Thess said:

I'm feeling kind of bad for Yona right now. Unlike Soo Won, whose parents undoubtedly love him. Did her father love her because she was Yona or because she was King Hiryuu reborn? Like a fanatic zealot. How about her mother? Kashi being a priestess makes me hesitate now. If she died to protect her, was it because of her love toward a child, or her faith to what she represents?

I really dont get where is this coming from. King Il knew the true identity of his daughter but NOT ONCE did he reveal that to her. She didnt grow up with an inflated ego that she was the incarnation of some mystical being and king il didnt use her identity to his political advantage. If anything king il made sure yona grew up a normal girl. It was as if king il and zeno had a convo and zeno told il that all hiryuu wanted was to live among humans, no wars no ruling over people, and king il made sure to fulfill that.

I have this theory that the reason why king il never brought the priesthood back to the castle was to protect yonas identity. If a priest can tell yonhi was of hiryuu bloodline then how much more yona who is hiryuu incarnate. If the priest knew about yona they wouldnt shut up about it and yona would have to live through the kind of life hiryuu lived the first time he incarnated. But then again priest or no priest yona/hiryuus life is always full of conflict
May 23, 2020 4:12 AM

Apr 2008
Pen_pineapple said:
Thess said:

I really dont get where is this coming from. King Il knew the true identity of his daughter but NOT ONCE did he reveal that to her. She didnt grow up with an inflated ego that she was the incarnation of some mystical being and king il didnt use her identity to his political advantage. If anything king il made sure yona grew up a normal girl.

But he only spoiled her and let her be ignorant about the world.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
May 23, 2020 5:52 AM
Sep 2019
Lain666 said:

And destiny/fate seems to disagree with Il, although harsh but her adventures opened her eyes to koukas reality, taught her diplomacy and gained foreign allies— it seems its gearing her up to take the throne. I cant help but think that since the author is writing soowon off
May 23, 2020 9:33 AM

Apr 2008
Pen_pineapple said:
Lain666 said:

And destiny/fate seems to disagree with Il, although harsh but her adventures opened her eyes to koukas reality, taught her diplomacy and gained foreign allies— it seems its gearing her up to take the throne. I cant help but think that since the author is writing soowon off

I really don't think that Yona gained such a political acumen and understanding from her wandering around. Definitely not anything near Su-won's level. Years of studies cannot be replaced by few months in wilderness. Besides, I disagree that she learnt diplomacy.

As for Il, he himself says in this chapter that King Hiryuu should be treasured, so no wonder people are thinking if Il loved Yona for being Yona or if he treasured her, because she was Hiryuu's reincarnation.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
May 23, 2020 4:31 PM
Sep 2019
Lain666 said:

As for Il, he himself says in this chapter that King Hiryuu should be treasured, so no wonder people are thinking if Il loved Yona for being Yona or if he treasured her, because she was Hiryuu's reincarnation.

Treasured? No. Il was even mad at yuhon for keeping this to himself implying that matters regarding gods/hiryuu is a joyous event that should be shared with the populace. Thats why im curious why the change of heart when it comes to yona
May 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Apr 2008
Pen_pineapple said:
Lain666 said:

Treasured? No. Il was even mad at yuhon for keeping this to himself implying that matters regarding gods/hiryuu is a joyous event that should be shared with the populace. Thats why im curious why the change of heart when it comes to yona

Il was mad at Yu-hon, because he obviously has inferiority complex, all the accusing of Yu-hon for wanting to still all the glory, and Il felt entitled to getting gifts from Gods and was pissed off that Yu-hon was with a descendant of Hiryuu and not he. By the way I am not surprised that Yu-hon punched him in the face for treating Yonhi as some heavenly price and for the stupid accusations.

As for Il, he also has no business to push his own views on others, especially by trying to scare them. He knew what Yu-hon thinks about priests, but starts complaining to Yonhi that wedding should be at the shrine and tries to convince her by scaring her that it is blasphemous to do it their way.

Lain666May 24, 2020 3:02 PM
May 26, 2020 8:52 AM
Mar 2015
the battle of the brothers over king Hiryuu is beginning
Jun 14, 2020 9:27 AM
Aug 2018
Im now liking su won more and more.

I know this comment is late coz i binge read it but-

Su won being sick is already a possibility for me. It makes sense why he needs to take the throne as soon as possible and also he being married to yona is impossible coz king Il won't let it happen (and now were understanding whyyyyy)

And im thrilled to see what really happened in the past. We will now know what is King Il's true colors.

And su won will probably die in the end and give the throne to yona after he secured it

OR

The medic guy will try the sensuo(???) the herb they used at awa and it will heal si won but still give yona the throne.

#TeamSUWON

Pls give me su won wallpaper
Sep 6, 2020 6:02 AM

May 2014
Haven't read this manga since may. Only recently found out that MangaRock is gone (probably forever), so had to change to mangafox's app. LOL! To now I thought the series was on hiatus because of corona. :P

Anyways, glad to know more about Il and his brother, Yuhi's past.
Nov 14, 2020 2:13 AM

Feb 2009
While the backstory is interesting and certainly less frustrating than watching the idiocy going on in the present, more than anything I'm missing the gang's interactions. Hope to god this arc is ending soon because I'm forgetting why I loved this manga in the first place.
Dec 14, 2023 7:08 AM
May 2022
It creeps me how obsessed King Il was with King Hiryuu. I understand why Yu-Hon was against him. Had that fanatic behavior of his affected Kashi's pregnancy? Or did he just marry Kashi because he knew that the child she would bear was the reincarnation of the Crimson Dragon?

Now, I understand why Suwon despises King Hiryuu so much. The Crimson Dragon King was the cause of the deep conflict between his father and King Il, aside from having his bloodline inflicted with Crimson's illness. I feel bad for Suwon. While I sympathize with Yona and Hak for being betrayed, Suwon grew up having these too many loads on his shoulders and he never even was able to share or open this burden with his dear friends (especially Hak).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 257 Discussion

crocodileman94 - Apr 19

7 by isolated-otaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 185 Discussion

shanimebib - Dec 20, 2019

26 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 256 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Apr 4

7 by TanmaySpamzzz »»
Apr 12, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 175 Discussion

CrookedPanther - May 20, 2019

32 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 152 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lacznosc - Dec 21, 2017

68 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 10, 3:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.