Forum Settings
Forums

'Tokyo Mew Mew' Manga Gets New Anime Adaptation

New
Apr 2, 2020 12:15 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

A website launched by Pony Canyon ended its countdown on Thursday, announcing a new anime adaptation of Reiko Yoshida and Mia Ikumi's Tokyo Mew Mew manga. Titled Tokyo Mew Mew New, the anime is commemorating the 65th anniversary of the Nakayoshi magazine. Ikumi drew an illustration to celebrate the announcement (pictured above).

Synopsis
13-year-old Ichigo Momomiya is at an endangered animal exhibit with her crush Masaya Aoyama when she is hit by a beam of light and sees a cat entering her body. She begins to demonstrate cat-like behavior the following day. A giant monster attacks Masaya and forces Ichigo to transform into a pink magical girl with cat ears and a tail.

A boy named Ryou Shirogane explains that the monster she fought was a Chimera Anima: alien parasites that infect animals and turn them into giant monsters. Ryou and Keiichiro Akasaka, the owner of a pink cafe called Cafe Mew Mew, planned to take the DNA of five Red Data Animals and use them as biological weapons by injecting them into Chimera Anima—an experiment they called the Mew Project. But due to an earthquake the day before, the DNA was accidentally shot into Ichigo and four other girls that she met outside the museum instead!

Now a "biological weapon," Ichigo must fight against the aliens and find her potential teammates—all while keeping her feline identity a secret from Masaya. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

An idol audition to assign a voice actress for the protagonist Ichigo Momomiya began on Thursday and will run till May 11 on the audition application mysta. The audition is available to females between elementary-school age and 30 years old who do not belong to any production. The successful candidate will receive an exclusive contract with Pony Canyon's Swallow agency and make a major debut as the center of the Tokyo Mew Mew New seiyuu idol group.

The magical girl manga was published in Nakayoshi from August 2000 to December 2002 and compiled into seven volumes. Yoshida and Ikumi serialized a two-volume sequel titled Tokyo Mew Mew à La Mode in the same magazine between March and December 2003.

Studio Pierrot adapted the manga into a 52-episode television anime that aired from Spring 2002 to Winter 2003. 4Kids Entertainment licensed and dubbed the first 26 episodes.

Tokyopop published the manga and its sequel in English from 2003–2006. Kodansha Comics relicensed the title in North America and published all nine volumes in four omnibuses.

Official site: https://tokyo-mew-mew.com/
Official Twitter: @mew_mew_new

Source: animate Times, PR Times

Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ on MAL
VindstotApr 3, 2020 4:21 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2020 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
For a second I thought that after Tokyo would be some other word, lol. It starts with G.
Apr 2, 2020 12:40 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Holy crap, this is a genuine surprise.
I honestly don't think Tokyo Mew Mew is that great anymore, now that I've seen a bunch of other magical girl series that are much better imo... but I'll definitely watch this. Both the manga and the anime brings me back to my late elementary school days lmao.

The real question is... will they actually adapt A La Mode too?
I'd be more excited for A La Mode getting adapted. Berry's really underrated.
Apr 2, 2020 12:41 PM

Sep 2017
I've never read the manga
. I wonder if they're adapting A La Mode, it's a remake, or a new story entirely. I think i'd be happy with anything tbh!
Apr 2, 2020 12:45 PM
Sep 2018
wtf. i remember watching this YEARS ago. didn't know wtf was going on and i don't remember anything but this is a nice surprise
Apr 2, 2020 12:52 PM

Jul 2017
This is such a blast from the past. One of the first anime I ever watched was the 4Kids dub they retitled "Mew Mew Power", and I remember running downstairs once a week to watch the newest episode. I LOVED it, and I hope the new version hits that nostalgic spot like the original does.
Apr 2, 2020 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
I wanted to watch the 2002 anime after reading an artcile about western censorship of mahou shoujo. Wonder if I should watch it first or wait for the new one...
Apr 2, 2020 1:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, this sounds really enticing xD. Looking forward to more news on this!

I wonder how many episodes this will turn out to get.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 2, 2020 1:13 PM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
HOLY- EXCUSE ME?

The manga is SO much better! Here's to hoping it ends up pretty good compared to the old one...
Apr 2, 2020 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
I watched some episode back in the day when it aired on animax, like 12 years ago? well, I bet the fans are happy
Apr 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2013
HOLY SHIT

Does this mean the 2002 anime will get rescued and redubbed??? PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE
Apr 2, 2020 2:30 PM

Dec 2009
Oh yay!!! ^__^

I hope this new anime adaptation being similar to the original source this time ( the manga ) since I prefer the manga more compare to the first anime adaptation of this series ^^ Let see happens :)
Apr 2, 2020 3:00 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
I never could watch the entirety of the original anime because I've yet to find a good streaming site for it, so hopefully this one will have better players..:\
Apr 2, 2020 3:02 PM

Sep 2017
Klefki_of_Awsome said:
I never could watch the entirety of the original anime because I've yet to find a good streaming site for it, so hopefully this one will have better players..:\

all the (subbed) episodes are available in pretty good quality on youtube. thats how im watching it
Apr 2, 2020 3:22 PM

Aug 2019
wasnt the new adaptation going to be males instead??
Apr 2, 2020 3:26 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
fuckgendo said:
no, you're referring to the spin-off manga "Tokyo Mew Mew Ore".
Apr 2, 2020 3:27 PM

Aug 2019
Fario-P said:
fuckgendo said:
no, you're referring to the spin-off manga "Tokyo Mew Mew Ore".

oops, sorry bout that. thanks for the name, i was trying to find it a while ago.
Apr 2, 2020 3:41 PM

Oct 2012
*WHAT*? HOLY SHIT THAT WAS UNEXPECTED
OH MY GOD OH MY *GOD* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
RYOUUUUUUUUU ICHIGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JESUS CHRIST YES COME PLEASE
Apr 2, 2020 3:43 PM

Aug 2013
While the original lost quite a bit for me as I grew up, it still remains a childhood's favorite and a really enjoyable anime. I'm honestly excited about this and will watch it for sure.
Apr 2, 2020 4:15 PM

Feb 2014
whoa what the actual

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Apr 2, 2020 4:15 PM

May 2017
Didn't expecting this at all :o
Will gladly watching this when its come out.

Seeing such old shoujo series got adapted/remaked again giving me hopes for skip beat season 2 :"))
Apr 2, 2020 4:46 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
alicerubesty said:
Klefki_of_Awsome said:

all the (subbed) episodes are available in pretty good quality on youtube. thats how im watching it

Is that so? Hmm, I'm not a fan of watching things on YouTube, but I'll keep it in mind as a last resort, thanks!
Apr 2, 2020 4:48 PM

Mar 2014
Another remake, like Fruits Basket?

Am okay with that...
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Apr 2, 2020 4:52 PM

Nov 2017
Well that's a pleasant surprise. I remember liking the anime and found the characters endearing/cutesy. I'll have it on my radar and give it a watch when it comes out
Apr 2, 2020 5:19 PM

Jul 2019
Apr 2, 2020 6:31 PM

Aug 2015
Whoa... THIS is really a surprise...
My childhood anime.. where i didn't know it was called anime yet.. TwT

Is this a remake though? I would love to watch it if that.. it's just imo, but i didn't like a la mode much.. ^^;

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Apr 2, 2020 6:55 PM

Sep 2018
well that was unexpected, so many of my first anime’s getting new adaptations, first fruits basket and now TMM? (I used to read whatever I could get my hands on..which was mainly shoujo stuff the school library had but hey I found magic knight rayearth that way) Its been so long since very I’ve watched and read Tokyo Mew Mew, so maybe this would be a fun experience.
Apr 2, 2020 6:57 PM

Oct 2016
So it's not the bad looking remake with the male cast announced a little while ago? OH F YEAHHHHH!!! LETS GO!!!! Amazing news!
Apr 2, 2020 9:00 PM

Jan 2011
Is this a sign for me to watch the original like I've been meaning to for years?
Apr 2, 2020 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
I barely read this manga or watched the anime but still have immense nostalgia for it just because it was such an ubiquitous part of early 2000s tween girl anime fan culture. Can't say I'm a fan of the new art style, though. Zakuro in particular looks like she has ugly terf bangs.
removed-userApr 2, 2020 9:43 PM
Apr 2, 2020 9:42 PM

Aug 2012
Whaaaat?? How unexpected.
Apr 3, 2020 1:09 AM

Jan 2016
I can't wait! Loved both
Apr 3, 2020 2:53 AM

Feb 2017
Someone hold me! My first anime crush Zoe is coming back! Can't believe it, these news made me so happy.
Apr 3, 2020 2:57 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Bro...I loved Tokyo Mew Mew during my mahou shoujo phase in elementary/middle school. I've re-read the manga several times. Which is also why looking back, some of the drama/romance was slightly cringey LOL. Well not as bad as Mermaid Melody. But I'll still watch this, as long as it doesn't look (or sound) terrible. I still have a soft spot for mahou shoujo transformations and cute outfits ^^

I'm shocked to see that the 2002 anime had 52 episodes given the manga being only 7 volumes. Looks like it had a lot of fillers.

Also...they really capitalizing on the idol group stuff these days, huh...
Apr 3, 2020 2:59 AM

Jan 2010
OMG THIS IS SO NOSTALGIC hahahaha.

I remember loving the purple one, I forgot the name lol.
Apr 3, 2020 3:01 AM

Jul 2012
ANIME IS SAVED!

no really, this is an amazing mahou shoujo lol
Apr 3, 2020 3:24 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Wow, I didn't expect this to get a new anime... I liked the manga back then and the old anime was also okay. One of the character songs (Strawberry Power) is still one of my favorite songs. Will definitely watch the new anime too!
Apr 3, 2020 6:45 AM

May 2019
Wow indeed.
I just watched the show again after only seeing the first 26 on 4kids, in my childhood. It wasn't as good as I remembered it, since I was now an adult watching a kids' show. It had quite a few dumb superhero cartoon clichés and weird plot holes or things that didn't make sense.

I wonder now that it has been so many years since then, will they "upscale" the show for its older fanbase, or keep it as a kids' show for this newer generation. Maybe somehow pull-off both?
xSweetSlayerxApr 3, 2020 2:56 PM
Apr 3, 2020 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
¡Ah, esto es emocionante! Creo que quiero llorar.
Apr 3, 2020 7:32 AM

May 2008
"4Kids Entertainment licensed and dubbed the first 26 episodes."

Pointless information.
Apr 3, 2020 9:57 AM
Oct 2019
omggg Tokyo Mew Mew was the first anime I remember watching as a kid because I owned the CDs I'm not gonna miss this!!
Apr 3, 2020 11:29 AM

Aug 2010
I dig the original anime, but I wouldn't mind a remake.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 3, 2020 2:39 PM

Dec 2009
So random lol.. but my 12 year old self is screaming!

The nostalgia is strong with this one. One of the very first anime I watched, I didn't even knew it was anime at the time since I was watching it dubbed in portuguese x)

Is it gonna be a remake of the original anime? A more close adaptation of the manga? Or is it gonna be an adaptation of the sequel manga? Anyway, I'm happy with this news! ^^

Now if only MMPPP could get a remake as well... x)
Apr 3, 2020 3:00 PM

May 2019
Haou-Judai said:

Pointless information.

It probably wouldn't be as pointless if they mentioned how the 4kids adaption has the most obnoxious Americanization censorship in anime history. XD
Apr 3, 2020 8:17 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
xSweetSlayerx said:
Haou-Judai said:

Pointless information.

It probably wouldn't be as pointless if they mentioned how the 4kids adaption has the most obnoxious Americanization censorship in anime history. XD

That reminds me of the first time I found out about the 4Kids dub lmao.
I had found out about this series through the (terrible) TokyoPop volumes, which did advertise the 4Kids dub at some point, but I didn't think much of it for whatever reason at the time. One day at school, I was drawing Ichigo when some girl came up to me and said, "Oh, that's Zoey!"
I was so confused. "No, it's Ichigo," I said, but she kept saying "Zoey". I had no idea who the hell "Zoey" was until I started watching HikaYagami's videos that compared between the original anime and the 4Kids dub.
Once I figured out that "Zoey" was seriously Ichigo's dub name, I cringed. Mega hard.

...And the cringe got worse from there XD
Apr 3, 2020 11:46 PM

Jan 2014
YESSS, I rewatched the anime years ago for the nostalgia and would gladly rewatch it again but better animation! I'm still a sucker for this type of cute and sparkly shoujo genre and it's so hard to find anime like TMM, Shugo Chara, and CCS, so I'm very excited for this!
Apr 4, 2020 12:28 AM

Jun 2014
Further proof that shoujo manga is dying in Japan. They have to go back to their old hits to stay relevant. Nakayoshi used to be one of the big shoujo magazines, but it's been on the decline at a faster rate compared to some of the other shoujo mags.
:3
Apr 8, 2020 9:25 AM
Mar 2017
Anyone got a translation for the text on the illustration?

My feelings on this are mostly excited. Tokyo Mew Mew was my first manga and I'd love to see an animated version that sticks to the source material. If it's popular it could be a lead into an OVA or something for A La Mode, or even the new Au Lait manga. There's a lot of potential here, and I look forward to seeing how it's going to play out.
Apr 10, 2020 10:57 AM

Dec 2016
Totally not expecting this but it's a welcome surprise because it was such a HUGE part of my childhood.

When I read that synopsis tho.... ksksksksks I couldn't help but to cringe. I mean, I didn't find the plot weird when I was watching it as a kid so I'm hoping I wouldn't cringe watching the new anime adaptation too lol.

God, please let it be good. Or at least let it be subpar the most HAHA. Coz I actually have a bad feeling about this (not that I think the show will be bad, but I think I won't like the show as much as I used to because of age).

Vindstot said:
[center][img]The successful candidate will receive an exclusive contract with Pony Canyon's Swallow agency and make a major debut as the center of the Tokyo Mew Mew New seiyuu idol group.
TOKYO MEW MEW MEW SEIYUU IDOL GROUP? Ok at least this part is gonna be interesting.
Apr 22, 2020 5:09 PM

Nov 2014
WHAAAAAAAATTTT!?!?! What an unexpected but delightful surprise omg!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
25 minutes ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
3 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
11 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
12 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.