Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 24 25 [26]
Jun 29, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2009
the Anti Bot System cannot correct scores from legitimate and long time users afaik so clearly there are group of long time users here on MAL that are vote brigading
Jun 29, 2021 12:24 PM

Jul 2017
avengingangel2 said:
laslodj said:
Why are you Fruit's basket fans trying to make this sound like a serious global conflict when anime's get downvoted from the first place all the time?

Life is unfair, bear with it. Fruit's basket is a niche anime and cannot surpass the giant that is FMAB.

There are literally bot accounts downvoting the anime right now. Fruits Basket is one of the best Shojo anime of all time. As a season, it definitely deserves a high rating because it was a great ending to the story.

Your comment might have had a bigger impact, if you hadn't given 1 star to fruba while talking about "the giant that is FMAB." At least give the anime a try (from season 1, not 3 because the story won't make much sense)

Yes, I agree with you, every anime needs a chance, but my point is that this happened to many anime's before Fruit's basket and MAL tried to fight it but you can't fight real fans rating it 1/10.

Botting 1/10's is not as bad as you think it is (not in the sense that it's not morally bad, of course it is, but in the sense that it happens way less than actual fans rating it 1).

MAL's bot detection system is very successful at fighting fully automatic bots, the reason the downvoting is this significant is because FMAB is an anime with an incredible following.

It has hundreds of thousands of people coming to its rescue to bring it back to 1st place, but Fruit's basket is a niche anime that has no chance to fight back.

Also, I didn't give Fruit's basket a 1/10 out of a grudge or hatred for it because it passed FMAB, that would make everything I said hypocritical, I just rated it that way to make a point. Here's that post if it interests you: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1934678&show=0#post7 .

deg said:
the Anti Bot System cannot correct scores from legitimate and long time users afaik so clearly there are group of long time users here on MAL that are vote brigading

Exactly.

Jun 29, 2021 12:31 PM
Mar 2018
laslodj said:
avengingangel2 said:

There are literally bot accounts downvoting the anime right now. Fruits Basket is one of the best Shojo anime of all time. As a season, it definitely deserves a high rating because it was a great ending to the story.

Your comment might have had a bigger impact, if you hadn't given 1 star to fruba while talking about "the giant that is FMAB." At least give the anime a try (from season 1, not 3 because the story won't make much sense)

Yes, I agree with you, every anime needs a chance, but my point is that this happened to many anime's before Fruit's basket and MAL tried to fight it but you can't fight real fans rating it 1/10.

Botting 1/10's is not as bad as you think it is (not in the sense that it's not morally bad, of course it is, but in the sense that it happens way less than actual fans rating it 1).

MAL's bot detection system is very successful at fighting fully automatic bots, the reason the downvoting is this significant is because FMAB is an anime with an incredible following.

It has hundreds of thousands of people coming to its rescue to bring it back to 1st place, but Fruit's basket is a niche anime that has no chance to fight back.

Also, I didn't give Fruit's basket a 1/10 out of a grudge or hatred for it because it passed FMAB, that would make everything I said hypocritical, I just rated it that way to make a point. Here's that post if it interests you: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1934678&show=0#post7 .

deg said:

Exactly.

How about instead of making a point, actually rating whatever you have watched with whatever rating you feel it's the best for it? As an entity, The final deserved that 9.18 rating because the people who didn't drop it in the past 2 seasons, love the anime. And some people who loved the first two seasons hated the third and that is also acceptable.

You should really remove the rating and add some Tohru into your life. Also, don't forget to drink water.
Jun 29, 2021 12:39 PM

Jul 2017
avengingangel2 said:
laslodj said:

Exactly.

How about instead of making a point, actually rating whatever you have watched with whatever rating you feel it's the best for it? As an entity, The final deserved that 9.18 rating because the people who didn't drop it in the past 2 seasons, love the anime. And some people who loved the first two seasons hated the third and that is also acceptable.

You should really remove the rating and add some Tohru into your life. Also, don't forget to drink water.

Thank you for reminding me, I have just taken a sip from a bottle and I'm back to full brain power.

I am but 1 man that rated this show a 1/10. In the grand scale my opinion and rating are irrelevant.

The root of the cause is that Fruit's basket surpassed everything in front of it and became first place. Because being 1st place in everything is a prestigious award, people will want something that they feel is theirs to win it.

Mainly FMAB fans and AOT fans are so deluded to rate something that is better than them a 1/10.

The reason Fruit's basket fell to 9.08 is because it's fanbase is small and unable to fight. FMAB's fanbase is a giant that is ready to defend it's first place and ready to topple the ones that briefly defeat it.

AOT, on the other hand didn't fall just because of FMAB, in fact it probably had the capacity to fight FMAB alone and win, but that wasn't the case. It angered every fanbase and what they get is complete defeat in the hands of many people throwing out 1/10's. A score of measly 8.98 is what is has now.

Downvoting will always happen when two fanbases collide and it cannot be stopped.

Jun 29, 2021 2:15 PM

Apr 2020
laslodj said:
Why are you Fruit's basket fans trying to make this sound like a serious global conflict when anime's get downvoted from the first place all the time?

Life is unfair, bear with it. Fruit's basket is a niche anime and cannot surpass the giant that is FMAB.

Oh no, god forbid if people care about anything other than famine in Africa and half the global population having consensual intercourse with your mother.
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Jun 29, 2021 2:19 PM

Aug 2020
positiv2 said:
laslodj said:

Oh no, god forbid if people care about anything other than famine in Africa and half the global population having consensual intercourse with your mother.
I am going to reply to this quote because why not 👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰👨🏿‍🦰
Jun 30, 2021 7:00 AM

Oct 2020
positiv2 said:
laslodj said:

Average Furuba stan 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2021 9:20 AM

Jul 2011
How to solve fanbase wars : round the score to the nearest 0.5
The top #35 (8.75) are all at 9.0.
Everyone under is at 8.5. (until you reach 8.24 which become 8.0)
Randomly order tied animes every day.
Bonus : all the fanbases whining about how they don't have their "rightful" place (even those that would be helped by that change).

I don't believe the difference between a 8.74 and a 8.25 is very meaningful.
But honestly, the rankings only matter if you care about them.
I have liked anime ranked under 6 more than some ranked over 8, so what.
Jun 30, 2021 10:29 AM
Feb 2009
Great job MAL! Honestly, 10 years ago, i heavily referring to rating for my next watchlist. And it's kind of sad to see that people abuse to downgrade certain great anime just to ensure their favorite on top. Also, I believe no anime deserve 1 despite of how poor the quality is or not suit to someone taste. Again, thank you very much. If I'm one of the developers, I am sure will take this as a good challenge to complete this great patches.

Probably start flagging the account that have
1) voting both 10 and 1 (or 2) - sure this account got hate issue.
2) voting only 10
3) voting only 1
stellar24Jun 30, 2021 10:53 AM
Jul 16, 2021 7:08 AM

Sep 2019
Fruits basket has been rested in peace. Unless a big YouTuber don't come for it, it will not be touched. All hail FMA, the best anime of all time who actually stood the test of time for the longest.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Aug 6, 2021 2:06 AM
Jan 2021
My Score
Aug 6, 2021 4:26 AM
Aug 2021
Thaks bro!
Sep 1, 2021 8:43 AM

Oct 2018
What about the legit users who downvote a show? Yes, you made a counter system for the bots but what about the actual MAL users? I'm sure the mods will have a plan for that? Or not?

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Feb 8, 2022 5:17 AM
Oct 2014
The system is not working correctly, Shingeki no kyojin s4 p2 is being downvoted, it was #1 with 9,16 with a rise tendency and in the last hours the numbers of 1 scores grew up exponentially in order to take it out of the #1 spot, and this was translated in a loss of the mean score and the #1 spot, if the illegitimate score downvoting system was working this should have not happened.

My suggestion is to implement some sort of weighted vote average, like IMDB site does. It's not perfect, but at least gives a more reliable score and is much less vulnerable to users downvoting like myanimelist is right now. Also this should discourage fandom wars in the forum and users to make justice into their own hands and distort shows' scores every time an anime takes the #1 spot.
Feb 8, 2022 9:01 AM
Jan 2019
As ZeroRules says, the mods really need to take a hard look at this.

If the algorithm was working correctly, AoT would not magically drop from the #1 spot as soon as it reached it. Either the algorithm is inefficient or there was no algorithm in the first place and it was a kind of 'sugar pill' to hopefully discourage mass downvoting.

The fact that they say '1' votes are still listed in the statistics but are apparently not counted is odd to me.

One solution that may or may not be viable is to have a range of 'reasonable votes'; that is: if a show's MAL rating is, let's say, 1.60 or something. Then any 10/10 votes would be shifted down to perhaps a 6/10.

This is because any show has a reasonable rating threshold. If a show's MAL rating is 0.5, then it is entirely unreasonable that anyone would genuinely vote it 10/10, therefore these votes should be shifted down. Similarly, if a show's rating is 9.7, then it is also entirely unreasonable that anyone would genuinely vote it 1/10.

The way that the 'shifting' (moving an unreasonable 10/10 to a 6/10, for example) could be handled, is by some kind of formula that MAL doesn't have to let us know. Implementing this should massively dampen all downvoting efforts, not just to AoT, but to FMAB, Fruits Basket and all anime.

Problems: (1) you shouldn't be able to force anyone to rate something a certain way. Solution: the unreasonable score that the person picked (e.g. 10/10 for ex-arm) would still be shown on their MAL as a 10/10 rating but will be calculated as the reasonable version of the score (say, 6/10). (2) this could have the long term disadvantage of stunting the rating growth of a series. Solution: have the formula for calculating if a score is 'unreasonable' or not have such a wide range (like the threshold being 5.00 points above/below the actual rating) such that no show's growth could possibly be stunted by the system.

Sorry for the long post and it's just an idea, I don't expect MAL to implement it.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiApr 17, 2022 7:00 AM
Feb 12, 2022 3:06 AM

Sep 2020
i call bs on this system
clearly, it is of no use to duplicate bot accounts that have been existing for a long time, as everyone can see with the recent and current review bombing of SNK final season part 2
Mar 18, 2022 3:10 AM
Nov 2018
Do you want to fix caracters popularity?
kurapika19Mar 19, 2022 12:19 AM
Apr 3, 2022 8:51 AM

Dec 2019
Why don't they just disable rating system for accounts that are less than 5 days old and doesn't have verified emails…

I came, I saw, I record.
Jun 13, 2022 3:03 AM
May 2022
@Kineta I'm noticing tons of botting in reviews and scores. Is there a place to report this?
Jul 16, 2022 7:02 PM

Apr 2022
stellar24 said:
Great job MAL! Honestly, 10 years ago, i heavily referring to rating for my next watchlist. And it's kind of sad to see that people abuse to downgrade certain great anime just to ensure their favorite on top.

This did not age well.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Jul 26, 2022 9:32 PM
Jul 2022
This gives you additional possibilities to learn patterns that are unique to duplicates in your neural network.
It affects your model's ability to generalize new images beyond what is practiced.
While we frequently assume that data points in a data set are distinct and distributed identically, that's rarely (if ever) the case when a real world dataset is used. In general we want to delete redundant images before training a model in the training of a Convolution Neural Network.

Second, it is highly time consuming and error-prone to manually identify duplicate images in a dataset – it also does not apply to big picture data sets. Therefore, we need to find and remove duplicated pictures from our profound learning dataset automatically.
routerlogin.ltd
pikashow.ltd
yaarthe7Dec 25, 2022 11:50 PM
Sep 6, 2022 8:50 AM

Mar 2022
I personally don't know what MAL's multi-account detection algorithm will be like, but for some time now I've been detecting a certain multi-account that I know, well... I don't need to say much about the troll.

BlondieLottieSep 17, 2022 12:33 AM
Sep 12, 2022 9:54 AM

Sep 2018
One simple way to stop the wars.

If you have a top 10 anime at 10 and another top ten anime at 1. Your top 10 scores are ignored.
That would stop bots in their tracks.
Oct 11, 2022 2:20 AM

Jan 2008
For the attention of moderators and admins: In the past few feeks (even months) numerous Chainsaw Man-related fake accounts/bots have been created just to manipulate the scores/character favorites/etc. A quick, yet painfully obvious example: https://myanimelist.net/profile/A8b6d4b4d4.

Maybe there are some other title-specific cases too, but the Chainsaw Man sector reeks with these.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Oct 11, 2022 10:10 AM

May 2021
BlondieLottie said:
I personally don't know what MAL's multi-account detection algorithm will be like, but for some time now I've been detecting a certain multi-account that I know, well... I don't need to say much about the troll.

And guess what they will do nothing to address what you said in your comment . Thanks for your effort btw
Oct 11, 2022 1:06 PM

Dec 2013
It would be as easy as just letting verified profiles (either with email or phone number) participate in the global scoring system. The other accounts can still score but not affect the global score. But I'm talking out of my a** I guess, as if it's ever going to be implemented. But hey we have emojis on reviews now.
Oct 11, 2022 9:06 PM

Sep 2019
This don't work properly lol
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 12, 2022 2:18 AM

Oct 2010
this thread didn't age well considering how many fmab bots are infesting csm and bleach but at least it removed ishuzoku of course, no one is allowed to rate an ecchi a 10/10 here, it has to be fmab
Oct 16, 2022 3:00 PM

Mar 2022
Yubisoft said:
And guess what they will do nothing to address what you said in your comment . Thanks for your effort btw

Obviously they will do nothing. So much so that I'm tired of reporting these accounts (which to top it off continue to do the same thing only with another username)

This problem has recently been more driven than ever and it is really unfortunate that the MAL team does absolutely nothing.
Oct 17, 2022 9:37 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
BlondieLottie said:
Yubisoft said:

Obviously they will do nothing. So much so that I'm tired of reporting these accounts (which to top it off continue to do the same thing only with another username)

This problem has recently been more driven than ever and it is really unfortunate that the MAL team does absolutely nothing.

Its handled algorithmically, you don't need to report bot accounts and frankly its pointless, the people making them use scripts to mass produce them so it's impossible to ever realistically keep up.
Oct 17, 2022 11:07 AM
Dec 2020
no sabiade ese sitema pero creo que seria mas facil elimar las cuentas
1 solo tiene 7 animes en su lista
2 se creo a escasa fechas de que un anime en concreto se estreno
3 solo ponga 1 de puntos a anime top
pd sugiero que con esto puntos mande un correo al usuario cada 6 meses y asi ver su respuestas claro tomando en cuenta viendo los puintos anunciados
Oct 19, 2022 4:44 AM
Jul 2010
Junchi said:
For the attention of moderators and admins: In the past few feeks (even months) numerous Chainsaw Man-related fake accounts/bots have been created just to manipulate the scores/character favorites/etc. A quick, yet painfully obvious example: https://myanimelist.net/profile/A8b6d4b4d4.

Maybe there are some other title-specific cases too, but the Chainsaw Man sector reeks with these.

Don't be ridiculous, this is not even close to the scale of FMAB fanatics who try to "rescue" it from dropping from 1st by creating new accounts and dropping 10 on FMAB and 1 on everything else in the top.
FMAB lobby brigading is insane here. These are the people mods should take care of first, since they should be the easiest to filter.
Oct 19, 2022 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
Every time FMAB pulls an anime from #1 rank, it itself loses 0.01 or more from its score, from the rest of the userbase, as a backlash for its toxic community. At some point, for the sake of FMAB being #1 we won't have an anime above 9 anymore.
Oct 22, 2022 8:09 AM

Sep 2017
I'm surprised nobody seemed to have realized it by now, but there are REALLY suspicious things going on with the episodes' discussion's scores for almost every seasonal anime since summer
Some episodes have thousands of different votes (something that almost never happens except if the episode is particularly popular) and even the less popular anime

For example, episode 2 of Bocchi the Rock (59k members) already passed the 1000 votes
Meanwhile, episode 1 of the latest season of Tensura (591k members) "only" has 814 votes

I don't know if people suddenly started to vote on the episode discussion topics, but imo that's just botting
Oct 23, 2022 10:29 PM

Feb 2016
Damuzen said:
I'm surprised nobody seemed to have realized it by now, but there are REALLY suspicious things going on with the episodes' discussion's scores for almost every seasonal anime since summer
Some episodes have thousands of different votes (something that almost never happens except if the episode is particularly popular) and even the less popular anime

For example, episode 2 of Bocchi the Rock (59k members) already passed the 1000 votes
Meanwhile, episode 1 of the latest season of Tensura (591k members) "only" has 814 votes

I don't know if people suddenly started to vote on the episode discussion topics, but imo that's just botting

I don't remember when it started, but I've been getting little pop-ups asking me what I thought of an episode after I change my episodes watched status. The new influx of scores could be because of that, a bunch of people who otherwise wouldn't look at the discussion threads just voting because of the pop-up.
Apr 15, 2023 3:01 PM

Apr 2009
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2084502
seems like the scores and comments are botted. the names are generated name + number. You need a better system.
Apr 15, 2023 6:05 PM

Jun 2016
Please, tell me someone that mods are already planning something about Stacks spam. This schizo not only an embarrassment for all of the people kind but he is ruining absolutely great Stacks system with his spam for all of us users.
Apr 18, 2023 4:27 PM

Jun 2021
KnightmareNEKO said:
Please, tell me someone that mods are already planning something about Stacks spam. This schizo not only an embarrassment for all of the people kind but he is ruining absolutely great Stacks system with his spam for all of us users.

I suppose you're talking about that user who goes by ishinashi[insert numbers here]? That user is a menace! Who would've thought that other users will get caught too by the spam filter and get unjustly banned all because of them when they should be banned instead for (1) creating multiple accounts, (2) spamming stacks and (3) targeting a community (look at the profile photos of their alts and check some of their posts).

Tip: Don't add "Hetero" or "H.etero" (or whatever they use as titles for their stacks) when reporting that user and their stacks/spams to avoid being caught as well by the spam filter.
Apr 19, 2023 3:40 AM

Jun 2016
IridescentJaune said:
KnightmareNEKO said:

I suppose you're talking about that user who goes by ishinashi[insert numbers here]? That user is a menace! Who would've thought that other users will get caught too by the spam filter and get unjustly banned all because of them when they should be banned instead for (1) creating multiple accounts, (2) spamming stacks and (3) targeting a community (look at the profile photos of their alts and check some of their posts).

Tip: Don't add "Hetero" or "H.etero" (or whatever they use as titles for their stacks) when reporting that user and their stacks/spams to avoid being caught as well by the spam filter.
I’m just reporting him as a spamer
Apr 22, 2023 11:41 AM

Feb 2014
Does this system detects users that have two accounts and they want to (or try to) DECREASES an anime mean score? 

For example.

Account 1: He rates 3/10 for anime
Account 2: He rates 1/10 for that same anime.  

Theorically it´s not the same score, so I wonder if this system will be able to detect that. 

May 2, 2023 4:39 AM
Dec 2022
Won't matter. Fmab fans don't need dupe accounts to review bomb other animes. All they need is 1 account since they are a huge fanbase. How about this... Just remove the rate button from anyone who has fmab rated as a 10 then this will solve all the problems.
May 2, 2023 12:40 PM
Dec 2020
BenchNaldo said:
Won't matter. Fmab fans don't need dupe accounts to review bomb other animes. All they need is 1 account since they are a huge fanbase. How about this... Just remove the rate button from anyone who has fmab rated as a 10 then this will solve all the problems.

I've said this before, simple way to end this is to section FMAB off as "best anime of all time big winner good job"
Give them a gold star and remove FMAB from the rating system. Crown the king and shuffle it off into a corner, let the rest of the shows get some love.

Or, limit ratings to after the season has finished. That keeps trolls from spouting off how stupid it is to rate a show '10' on its first episode. Dudes, that button is there, if I like the show, Imma scale it how I like, and adjust it when the rest of the season fails to live up.

Or, stop calling it "best anime of all time" and sort the rankings by years. That keeps older franchises with deep fan bases from rolling over new shows, and recency bias from overshadowing the classics.

I know none of this matters in reality, but if you're going to put yourself out there as a resource, at least make sure the toddlers don't scribble on all the pages.
May 2, 2023 12:51 PM
Dec 2022
WilTravis said:
BenchNaldo said:

I've said this before, simple way to end this is to section FMAB off as "best anime of all time big winner good job"
Give them a gold star and remove FMAB from the rating system. Crown the king and shuffle it off into a corner, let the rest of the shows get some love.

Or, limit ratings to after the season has finished. That keeps trolls from spouting off how stupid it is to rate a show '10' on its first episode. Dudes, that button is there, if I like the show, Imma scale it how I like, and adjust it when the rest of the season fails to live up.

Or, stop calling it "best anime of all time" and sort the rankings by years. That keeps older franchises with deep fan bases from rolling over new shows, and recency bias from overshadowing the classics.

I know none of this matters in reality, but if you're going to put yourself out there as a resource, at least make sure the toddlers don't scribble on all the pages.

Yeah sadly they won't do any of those ideas.
Aug 31, 2023 3:26 AM
Apr 2023
Why so many people are butthurt of FMAB being high score?
Pages (26) « First ... « 24 25 [26]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
6 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.