Forum Settings
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2020 6:47 AM

Jun 2012
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
The long wait was really troubling but this volume was so rewarding.

For that first big battle against the twin head lord, I will give the MVP credit for Mikoto. She was definitely the most noble during the climax of that fight. I would have given the 2nd title to Haruhime if not for Welf's awesome comeback. It was a very cool moment when he said those lines before forging the sword.

And for the main deadly adventure of the lone two, what a chaotic and grueling adventure that was. It's also helps reminding us Lyu's past in between the stages to make that anticipated redemption seems much more bright and a better tale for damsels overcoming distresses. That last act with the ten luminous orbs was what I would say the best highlights of this volume.

As for Bell, its always a pleasant thing to see when he's doing all those heroic moments. And his progress this time leaped a lot since he could now clash with deeper level monsters. Now I'm getting hyped up that he's almost close to Ais.

Overall, this volume is one of the best so far, I've no idea what to expect next but I'm hoping that at the very least, Lyu will somehow join a bit more frequently.
Jan 13, 2020 3:36 AM
Jan 2020
I'd agree with you, this is one of the best volume ever in Danmachi, if not the best lol. It's tense, sad and making me feel satisfied at the same time. The romance between Lyu & Bell is the best I can hope for. It's really sweet to see them fighting together in this volume.

And it's making realize that Lyu is the best guurl so far XD
Mar 5, 2020 3:40 PM
Aug 2014
It was a good decision to wait for vol.14 to release before reading vol.13

Whew multiple fights against the odds.

Definitely the arc where the Dungeon truly bares its fangs. Despite the darkness bearing down to crush him he still got up again and again; he's really starting to look like the heroes of fairy tails.

On a side note they were pretty lucky to not run into any wild lambton/wormwells on the 37th floor.

Aug 13, 2020 2:42 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I was really skeptical that I was going to read almost 40% of the first part of the novel, without Bell or Lyu appearing, but damm, that battle become really epic, really quickly.

First, I loved the names for the chapters of this volume, ALOT, it gave me HYPE, and they also had really EPIC illustrations to them, I guess to compensate for the lack of illustrations throughout the chapters, the chapters cover's just had to be freaking cool!
"They Begin to Stir"
"Poem of Despair, Poem of Triumph"
"Forlorn Hope in the Dungeon"
"Beyond a Thousand Darknesses"
"Epilogue: You'll be back II"
Got me psyched every time.

Really, only Chapter 8 was I a bit fed with reading, that said, Wiene and co appeared near the end so the chapter left me a great impression, in the end, setting what we would see in the final chapter.

It was long but pure greatness.
I was hyping the deep levels a lot with the ending of the last volume, and it just surpassed it, just so dire... it kinda reminded me when one first set in the Catacombs of Dark Souls 1, without knowing shit, it was amazing.

This was pure survival, done justice considering the setting, I have been reading 9-13 very quickly also because I m on holidays, and on the beach while doing so with my phone, but for the latter half of volume 14, with how dark it is, almost no light, I actually saved most of it, to read at night, just to invoke that sense of dread better, fantastic.

I enjoyed Lyu's past, in particular, characters like Kaguya (she had an awesome sexy design alright), sad to see them dead, that said, the reveal about Lyu's past wasn't surprising at all.
And really, all that talk about justice... I just didn't care that much about it, justice this, justice that.
And also again Juggernaut, some parts about him are interesting, like his entrance and its will to kill Bell, but I have heard people criticizing this volume for this Deus ex Machina BS, and I have to agree.

The idea was cool, but I prefer the writer says more grounded rather than giving us "a monster that is just as powerful, as the story needs it to be".

Much better than the last volume tbh.
It was really one about Lyu, her development with Bell this volume was outstanding, gripping and I just loved how by the end, she dropped the Mr. and started calling him only Bell, I think she just became the best girl overall with the conclusion of this volume, best girl for romance, I still do feel Wiene is best overall (on her arc, she is a bit more time outside, understandably).

Anyone still supporting Hestia as the ship, as yet to read this volume.

Freaking endearing, it was a full pack, you had dread and survival with some horror, EPIC actions and some really cute romantic moments, within that safe area near the spring, this arc tested Lyu in every single away and I look forward a lot to see the changes going forward, that epilogue was so darn cute, "You'll be back!" loved that illustration with Lyu and Syr too much, it was such a bright and sweet conclusion, very much earned.
I just hope we could see Bell reuniting with Wiene, with Lyu has a bodyguard, like it was said, but oh well, I m already grateful Wiene and the Xenos are still making appearances, I was afraid Wiene wouldn't appear again for quite a while, that would make me sad...

Seriously, it would have been kinda neat fanservice to see Lyu joining Hestia familial, maybe a bit too much, but I definitely want even more of her now!

The Deep Zone set a new bar, I cant wait to see it explored again in the future, and I hope Bell keeps all the knowledge and experience he gotten from Lyu to keep improving and just be more efficient with his Lvl.4 status.

Curious on long it will take for Bell to reach Lvl5, he promoted at the beginning of vol12, and already there he had quite a challenge to neat him a lot of excellia, with vol13 and 14, especially in the deep levels, I think we can see a lvl up within the next 3-5 volumes quite easily, he just keeps throwing himself at the worst shit possible.

I know Lilly leveled up from this expedition, but I find it quite lame that Welf and Mikoto are still only level 2, and Haruhime only lvl1, I hope the writer doesn't get that shit forever, would just feel really lame, I get it, not nearly as fast, but Hestia's familia needs to level up their game, they cant be always relying on others help, they have to strengthen their core, not only Bell.

To conclude, AMAZING volume, like an arc, vol9-11 was still way better, it is not fair to compare this volume to 9-11, it was much bigger, but an achievement to this volume is being this amazing throughout while being this freaking long.

9-11 were for a lot of character development, huge revelations that shake the world and Wiene's feels party, it was quite a lot of dungeons but most of the best stuff where outside the Dungeon, whereas 13-14 focused on the inside part, and specially vol14, it was just of another nature.

I want more of the Xenos and those feels, and I want more of Lyu, her developments with Bell, both more serious and the rom-com stuff, as well more fucking despairing but fantastical deep levels dungeon exploring & survival.

Sucks that I caught up with the translation, but vol15 is around the corner, I would hope the writer picks up the previous speed it had with most of the stuff previous vol12-13, I know he is also writing SO, which I already started reading, so there is that as well.

After 9-11, this one is also another I m getting the physical version, I want to support this ALOT, this is the kind of stuff I love to read.
On the heat of the moment, and I may take it back, BUT,it is a 10 for me, out of 10!
Fuck it, this was legendary reading, getting something this awesome after the Xenos arc.. it has been a hell of 2 weeks progressing forward with Danmachi.
People give this one a go, later volumes ARE top tier writing (despite a few BS stuff like Juggernaut, and even Bell left arm surviving for so long in that state, YES!!).

I want to see an S4 to see this adapted, please don't fuck up again with either S3 and S4, this is top material here ready to make a lot of success with right love poured in an adaptation, make it count J.C. Staff, you fucked a bit of DAL LN 10 for me, not this, please!

Wiene and Lyu for LIFE!

10/10
PlaycoolAug 13, 2020 2:52 PM
Dec 6, 2020 8:45 PM

May 2020
SO. FREAKIN. EPIC.

How epic is so freakin epic, you ask? Read vol 14 and then proceeded to literally run 50 miles the next day cause I was still feeling pumped and inspired this volume.

"What if someone really does fulfill their ideals?"..../ "Don't you know?"..../ "Those are the people we call heroes"

I'm going to keep this short.
1) Best volume yet! The author's writing has grown so much since vol. 1
2) Bell is officially in my all time fav. MC's list now. What a madlad, going back in and saving Lyu!
3) Lyu best girl. Screw Aiz haha, Lyu has won my heart.
I say goodbye unto you,
And with this parting,
My most beautiful dream dies inside me...
But I tell you goodbye,
For the rest of life,
Even if I spend all life thinking about you.
Apr 24, 2021 11:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Top notch arc this one. The Juggernaut is the most terrifying opponent we've seen yet. Murderous, vicious, overwhelmingly powerful, it felt like the Danmachi equivalent to the Terminator. The sense of despair was absolutely palpable. Ryuu and Bell got beaten within inches of their lives so many times.

I'm not crazy about the harem dynamics in Danmachi sometimes, but reading how Ryuu slowly falls for Bell is heartwarming. I'm into shipping wars, but she's definitely a sweet, lovely girl and I wouldn't mind her ending up with Bell (although I feel Aiz is inevitable).

One thing I don't like though, is how random Omori is with the levels of some adventurers. He's made such a big, big deal about how massive the step up from a level 2 to 3 was, and even more a level 4. It was a huge deal, and they're something special and rare. And yet, it turns out that every single waitress at the Inn is a level 4 adventurer? On the level of Bell? Much more powerful than Mikoto and Welf? That just seems like a bit of careless writing in my opinon.
FarabeufApr 24, 2021 1:41 PM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 1, 2022 1:40 PM

Dec 2007
Farabeuf said:
it turns out that every single waitress at the Inn is a level 4 adventurer? On the level of Bell? Much more powerful than Mikoto and Welf? That just seems like a bit of careless writing in my opinon.

Its not that unbelievable if you know all of their backstories. The owners a level 6. Shes the ex captain for freya, one of the cats is family to another level 6 from freya, 2 are ex assassins, and then we have ryuu. There are so many highly skillled waitresses because mama mia put them in their place after causing a shit show at her bar damaging a lot of it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 18 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Apr 3, 2023

2 by skyhei1995 »»
Apr 20, 2:28 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka Volume 2 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Sep 1, 2014

3 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Feb 22, 8:28 AM

» How many more volumes?

RealityChanges - Aug 13, 2023

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 17 Discussion

Syureria - Jul 7, 2021

2 by NaughtySempai »»
Mar 15, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 16 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Sep 15, 2021

1 by Playcool »»
Aug 17, 2022 4:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.