Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 26, 2019 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The continuation of Shigaraki's descent into darkness. Yup, that's how evil is born.

Jul 26, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2009
so Shigaraki got amnesia or repressed memories then
and interesting that All For One last name is Shigaraki
Machia is not holding back anymore i wonder how the clash between Re-Destro and him and Shigaraki will be
and damn i need that Dabi vs Iceman fight to be concluded too guess that will be shown in the next chapter instead of the Re-Destro fight conclusion
Jul 26, 2019 1:56 AM
Nov 2018
Seems like the ice guy and the suit guy on the van are heading to protect Re-Destro. Kinda get the feeling Machia's gonna wipe them all out in one go. Either way, MLA are done this arc for sure.
Jul 26, 2019 2:12 AM

Jan 2009
All For One is antisocial to the max (or anti-society) maybe Re-Destros belief of survival of the fittest quirk is not that far off from All For One
Jul 26, 2019 2:41 AM

Dec 2013
If only somebody had actually bothered to help the kid...

Back to the present and Shigaraki is ready to destroy everything!
Jul 26, 2019 2:44 AM

Jan 2009
G_Spark233 said:

its the bystander effect at work again same with what happened to his family that a lot of them just stand around not directly helping Shigaraki against his abusive father
Jul 26, 2019 3:03 AM

Aug 2016
So now Shigaraki's backstory is over and after three chapters, honestly it was the biggest emo backstory I have ever seen.
Yes his father was a bit of a dick, abusive....barely, it shows him make him sit outside (like a naughty step) and hit him twice with a slap (yes his dad was a massive twat for that one) but for it to escalate to him slaughtering his entire family is emo as fuck.
The backstory has really cemented for me what I suspected a while ago, Shigaraki is a crap villain, in a story that has had much better villains, including Re-Destro, who will end up just another stepping stone for Shiga-emo.
Can the manga-ka just not realise that other than Dabi, Deadpool Clone and Slasher Girl, the league of villains suck.

Rant over......
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Jul 26, 2019 3:16 AM
Dec 2016
JokerVentura said:
So now Shigaraki's backstory is over and after three chapters, honestly it was the biggest emo backstory I have ever seen.
Yes his father was a bit of a dick, abusive....barely, it shows him make him sit outside (like a naughty step) and hit him twice with a slap (yes his dad was a massive twat for that one) but for it to escalate to him slaughtering his entire family is emo as fuck.
The backstory has really cemented for me what I suspected a while ago, Shigaraki is a crap villain, in a story that has had much better villains, including Re-Destro, who will end up just another stepping stone for Shiga-emo.
Can the manga-ka just not realise that other than Dabi, Deadpool Clone and Slasher Girl, the league of villains suck.

Rant over......

Honestly I feel like your seeing what you want to
Jul 26, 2019 3:46 AM

Mar 2015
awaken the villains.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 26, 2019 3:51 AM
Dec 2018
G_Spark233 said:

And then what? How does that stop his urge to kill?

deg said:
its the bystander effect at work again same with what happened to his family that a lot of them just stand around not directly helping Shigaraki against his abusive father

If you saw someone dangerous looking on the street, would you approach them? The boy killed his entire family and got a kick out of it. He's not normal, the grandma could see that something was wrong with him.

The notion that Shigaraki is in anyway sympathetic is truly a head scratcher. The series doesn't even paint him as such.
Jul 26, 2019 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
JUS_Koma said:

deg said:

If you saw someone dangerous looking on the street, would you approach them? The boy killed his entire family and got a kick out of it. He's not normal, the grandma could see that something was wrong with him.

ye i would not too but the fact that grandma says he would just let the heroes or police help the kid is just classic example of bystander effect
Jul 26, 2019 3:59 AM
Dec 2018
deg said:
JUS_Koma said:

ye i would not too but the fact that grandma says he would just let the heroes or police help the kid is just classic example of bystander effect

The "bystander effect" says that individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. That's not what happened, the old lady did offer help, but saw what was pretty much a monster and left it to the heroes.
Jul 26, 2019 4:11 AM

Jan 2009
JUS_Koma said:
deg said:

The "bystander effect" says that individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. That's not what happened, the old lady did offer help, but saw what was pretty much a monster and left it to the heroes.

i was being strict with the intention of helping there (like a successful help) but ye i rest my case
Jul 26, 2019 4:36 AM
Jul 2008
Just one bad day...
Jul 26, 2019 6:02 AM
Dec 2016
JUS_Koma said:
deg said:

Except in this world totally innocent people can look like demons so that still just bigotry not a correct response and she didn’t call any hero’s she just told him they’d probably come and left him there.
Jul 26, 2019 6:28 AM
Dec 2018
Nobody5464 said:
JUS_Koma said:

Except in this world totally innocent people can look like demons so that still just bigotry not a correct response and she didn’t call any hero’s she just told him they’d probably come and left him there.

Congratulations, you completely missed the point.
Jul 26, 2019 6:45 AM

Feb 2015
Yup, this is disappointing. This is the wrong path to take him on as a villain. It's far too edgy and emo. It's lacking substance, quality and depth. If they are really trying to sell Tomura as a villain, they really should start focusing on his relationship to Nana, and I 100% know that's going to come out at some point as some "you're the grandchild of this great person" kind of shit instead of making it a genuine internal conflict. I fucking wish that any of the other villains would take the spotlight because it doesn't look like Tomura is going to get any better.
Jul 26, 2019 8:05 AM
Dec 2016
JUS_Koma said:
Nobody5464 said:

How did I mis the point. You were arguing this wasn’t the bystander effect because the old lady was considering offering help but then didn’t because “oh the kid is scary looking” and I said because of quirks judging someone by appearance is bigotry even if it seems to be normal and that she still didn’t offer help but instead pawned it onto someone else and didn’t even take the 3 seconds she'd need to call a hero office and say a weird alone kid is wandering the streets maybe send a guy. Which I feel still fits the bystander effect.
Jul 26, 2019 8:07 AM
Dec 2016
Yautja said:
Yup, this is disappointing. This is the wrong path to take him on as a villain. It's far too edgy and emo. It's lacking substance, quality and depth. If they are really trying to sell Tomura as a villain, they really should start focusing on his relationship to Nana, and I 100% know that's going to come out at some point as some "you're the grandchild of this great person" kind of shit instead of making it a genuine internal conflict. I fucking wish that any of the other villains would take the spotlight because it doesn't look like Tomura is going to get any better.
why the hell would that be his path? He doesn’t know nana. He has no connection to nana. Nana is nothing to him. Him being nana’s grandson is important to all mights and deku’s story and mental state. it doesn’t matter to him at all and it would be very very forced to make him actually care about that.
Jul 26, 2019 8:13 AM

Feb 2015
Nobody5464 said:
Yautja said:
why the hell would that be his path? He doesn’t know nana. He has no connection to nana. Nana is nothing to him. Him being nana’s grandson is important to all mights and deku’s story and mental state. it doesn’t matter to him at all and it would be very very forced to make him actually care about that.

Jesus Christ this website is cursed with stupid. No shit he doesn't know her now, I've said repeatedly that the author should have been or should begin to do that because it'd lead to a better villain than the shit we've got now. Him being introduced or in conflict with that would be better than continuing to ramp up this bullshit edge lord crap. If you read the next fucking sentence you'd be aware that I noted he doesn't know her right now and how things could end up forced.
Jul 26, 2019 8:45 AM
Nov 2018
Nobody5464 said:
JUS_Koma said:

How did I mis the point. You were arguing this wasn’t the bystander effect because the old lady was considering offering help but then didn’t because “oh the kid is scary looking” and I said because of quirks judging someone by appearance is bigotry even if it seems to be normal and that she still didn’t offer help but instead pawned it onto someone else and didn’t even take the 3 seconds she'd need to call a hero office and say a weird alone kid is wandering the streets maybe send a guy. Which I feel still fits the bystander effect.

This isn't about appearances tho. If you look at the first guy that saw Shiggy, he literally has "speakers" for ears, there are other freaks in the crowd too, but they all avoided Shiggy, which is most likely due to the vibe he gave off. I'm guessing that's why he said you missed the point (He also didn't say that she called any heroes, she just left it for the heroes to deal with due to fear).
Jul 26, 2019 8:48 AM
Dec 2016
Yautja said:
Nobody5464 said:

Jesus Christ this website is cursed with stupid. No shit he doesn't know her now, I've said repeatedly that the author should have been or should begin to do that because it'd lead to a better villain than the shit we've got now. Him being introduced or in conflict with that would be better than continuing to ramp up this bullshit edge lord crap. If you read the next fucking sentence you'd be aware that I noted he doesn't know her right now and how things could end up forced.

You didn’t say anything about that plot line being forced. And your ignoring my whole point. Him finding out he’s related to nana would mean jack shit to him it wouldn’t start a conflict in him and if the author wrote it that way it would be forced as all hell and the author should not be making that reveal the crux of shigarakis villian arc because that fact is worthless to him and it would be worthless to his arc. He already knows his grandma was a hero what exactly would knowing who she was specifically add to him? At most it would make him know all for one killed his grandma but do you really think that would matter to him?
Jul 26, 2019 8:52 AM
Dec 2016
TropicalFreeze44 said:
Nobody5464 said:

This isn't about appearances tho. If you look at the first guy that saw Shiggy, he literally has "speakers" for ears, there are other freaks in the crowd too, but they all avoided Shiggy, which is most likely due to the vibe he gave off. I'm guessing that's why he said you missed the point (He also didn't say that she called any heroes, she just left it for the heroes to deal with due to fear).

That’s my point exactly. Her not calling any hero’s means it still is the bystander effect she didn’t actually try to get him any help she just assumed someone would and left that’s literally what I’m arguing. And no we know for a fact bigotry based on appearance exists in this world because shoji admits to a history of people being afraid of him for his looks she saw shigarakis face thought he was creepy and decided I’m not gonna talk to him anymore I’m leaving that’s bigotry. Speaker ear guy just doesn’t fit the criteria that people judge people for and the looks of the adults were looks of he looks like he’s in trouble or needs help but I don’t want to get involved looks aka bystander effect
Jul 26, 2019 9:02 AM
Mar 2015
Flashback to how he was set on the path of destruction
Jul 26, 2019 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
Nobody5464 said:
Yautja said:

You didn’t say anything about that plot line being forced. And your ignoring my whole point. Him finding out he’s related to nana would mean jack shit to him it wouldn’t start a conflict in him and if the author wrote it that way it would be forced as all hell and the author should not be making that reveal the crux of shigarakis villian arc because that fact is worthless to him and it would be worthless to his arc. He already knows his grandma was a hero what exactly would knowing who she was specifically add to him? At most it would make him know all for one killed his grandma but do you really think that would matter to him?

You've very clearly not read what I've said very clearly, so I'll not bother.
Jul 26, 2019 9:18 AM

Sep 2013
Oh wow, I can't believe it, turns out Shigaraki's backstory is exactly what we knew it was all along.
Jul 26, 2019 9:24 AM
Nov 2018
Nobody5464 said:
That’s my point exactly. Her not calling any hero’s means it still is the bystander effect she didn’t actually try to get him any help she just assumed someone would and left that’s literally what I’m arguing.

That's fair.
And no we know for a fact bigotry based on appearance exists in this world because shoji admits to a history of people being afraid of him for his looks she saw shigarakis face thought he was creepy and decided I’m not gonna talk to him anymore I’m leaving that’s bigotry. Speaker ear guy just doesn’t fit the criteria that people judge people for and the looks of the adults were looks of he looks like he’s in trouble or needs help but I don’t want to get involved looks aka bystander effect

Bigotry exists for "mutants" like Spinner. Even then, we've only seen extremist do that. No one else has ever judged him or anyone else solely off their appearances. Also, Shigaraki looks completely human so it's not the same case at all. The boy literally has blood on his mouth and hand, he's not speaking, and is constantly scratching his neck at the sight of seeing people, the old lady literally broke out a cold sweat and was panicking so it was most definitely fear that kept them away from him.
Jul 26, 2019 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
For some reason I got chills when AFO said "It's my last name"
Jul 26, 2019 9:51 AM

Jul 2013
imagine if the police or a hero had gotten to Shig before AFO :x

well the hands that once defined Shig the villain are gone now. a massive change to him as a character - visually and character-wise.

i can't wait for the day when All Might finds out that Shig is a descendant of Nana...
Jul 26, 2019 9:52 AM

Aug 2017
I think at this point its quite clear that the people (not all of course) who dislike Shigaraki will continue in a sorta irrational sense where they will continue to hate on him regardless of well anything just cause he started out as a man-child type character.

Cause sure these flashbacks may not be perfect writing but it does show new sides of Shigaraki that reveal him to be somewhat of a complex character especially in his relationship with AFO. You don't have to like the character but too call him completely without depth or "cliche" & "generic" in a broad negative sense is just in-factual.

Its why I can't take claims like "Its completely lacking in substance, quality, and depth" seriously. Its hyperbole and over-exaggerations like that which reveal you are not speaking from a a fair or impartial enough standpoint. You just want to keep on hating the character & will consider anything related to him as a negative no matter what.
SlimcoderJul 26, 2019 9:57 AM
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jul 26, 2019 11:30 AM
Dec 2016
Yautja said:
Nobody5464 said:

Evidence of someone with no argument claim the other person just doesn’t get it and refuse to acknowledge there points or continue the debate.
Jul 26, 2019 12:01 PM

Feb 2015
Nobody5464 said:
Yautja said:

Evidence of someone with no argument claim the other person just doesn’t get it and refuse to acknowledge there points or continue the debate.

Ahhhh, irony. The shoe fits very much on the other foot. Now ask yourself is it maybe, just maybe, you who are the problem and you are projecting those very issues? The person going out, looking for and starting several different arguments with several different people? The person a couple people have now elected to ignore? Feel free to enjoy what ever delusional victory you're trying to claim, but I think the greatest evidence is how many arguments you've started and how quickly those people have figured out you're a waste of time best ignored. You're arguing for arguments sake. I however am not. Enjoy your little crusade.
Jul 26, 2019 2:16 PM
Sep 2015
There's no way we can judge the character from a impartial standpoint, we are not impartial, and besides that, this was a flashback made to make people sympathize with the character, so people read this chapter on the hope of changing the views of the character, what didn't happen. Those chapter are all visually cool, Horikoshi drawings are incredible, principally during the tragedy, but the lacked substance. We already knew everything that was showed in this chapters, Shigaraki still being a weak villain, but now he has a strong ability. This chapter show how weak and empty he and his league (except for twice) is, the most interesting characters in this chapter were AFO and Gigantomachia, and they are not even the focus
Jul 26, 2019 3:43 PM

Sep 2009
tomura's backstory's slightly more fucked up than your average shonen character.
Jul 26, 2019 6:35 PM
Jul 2019
Damn this is such a great arc also Amazing character buildup.

Jul 26, 2019 7:26 PM
Jul 2015
The notion that Shigaraki is in anyway sympathetic is truly a head scratcher. The series doesn't even paint him as such. [/quote]

Yeah I thought Horikoshi made that point abundantly clear.
Jul 26, 2019 9:27 PM

Feb 2017
Oh shoot AFO's last name is Shigaraki. Intriguing.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Jul 27, 2019 5:09 AM
Dec 2016
Yautja said:
Nobody5464 said:

Ahhhh, irony. The shoe fits very much on the other foot. Now ask yourself is it maybe, just maybe, you who are the problem and you are projecting those very issues? The person going out, looking for and starting several different arguments with several different people? The person a couple people have now elected to ignore? Feel free to enjoy what ever delusional victory you're trying to claim, but I think the greatest evidence is how many arguments you've started and how quickly those people have figured out you're a waste of time best ignored. You're arguing for arguments sake. I however am not. Enjoy your little crusade.

Classic evidence of no argument number 2 claim the other guy is arguing just for the sake of it and doesn’t actually have a point and refuse to continue the debate. I made my point the direction you want the author to go with Shigarakis character arc would make literally 0 sense and I explained why you’ve yet to refute my explanation and you can’t smooth talk your way out of that by claiming it’s not worth your time.
Jul 27, 2019 5:13 AM
Dec 2016
jhonathanplr said:
There's no way we can judge the character from a impartial standpoint, we are not impartial, and besides that, this was a flashback made to make people sympathize with the character, so people read this chapter on the hope of changing the views of the character, what didn't happen. Those chapter are all visually cool, Horikoshi drawings are incredible, principally during the tragedy, but the lacked substance. We already knew everything that was showed in this chapters, Shigaraki still being a weak villain, but now he has a strong ability. This chapter show how weak and empty he and his league (except for twice) is, the most interesting characters in this chapter were AFO and Gigantomachia, and they are not even the focus

Except we knew none of the psychological reasons or effects of anything in this flashback before it happened and we didn’t even know all of the events in it before it happened. Shigarakis backstory fully explains his psychology and why his goal is what it is and he is not a weak Villian. Your allowed to still not like him or his motives but they aren’t weak or underdeveloped in anyway you just don’t like them.
Jul 27, 2019 6:33 AM

Jan 2013
Starting to like Shigaraki a lot, the author did a good job with his backstory
Jul 27, 2019 8:25 AM

Feb 2014
Shigaraki's design is still weird but now at least we know why he looks like that
Jul 27, 2019 10:45 AM
Oct 2018
JokerVentura said:

Rant over......
Have you realised that shigaraki was abused like that everyday and he finally flipped. "All it takes is a one bad day". It seems you are missing every point of this whole series
Jul 27, 2019 11:01 AM

Aug 2016
@CaptainFekezu

I'm not going to start an ongoing discussion with you, but would like to point out the stupidity in your statement.
You've assumed the treatment Shigaraki received was an everyday occurrence, and then state all it takes is one bad day, a contradictory statement.
BTW The Joker reference you're failing to make correctly was done by the manga-ka several chapters ago during Twice's backstory.
Also the generalised statement that I miss every point in the series, due to me not liking one character's backstory..... this is why I hate fanboys, unless you praise everything in a shounen series morons like you spit out your dummy.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Jul 27, 2019 11:24 AM
May 2018
JokerVentura said:
@CaptainFekezu

I'm not going to start an ongoing discussion with you, but would like to point out the stupidity in your statement.
You've assumed the treatment Shigaraki received was an everyday occurrence, and then state all it takes is one bad day, a contradictory statement.
BTW The Joker reference you're failing to make correctly was done by the manga-ka several chapters ago during Twice's backstory.
Also the generalised statement that I miss every point in the series, due to me not liking one character's backstory..... this is why I hate fanboys, unless you praise everything in a shounen series morons like you spit out your dummy.

You should think that he was a young child when this happend, we dont think cleary as kids and let our emotions go out easier
Enjoy life to the fullest weebs
Jul 27, 2019 12:45 PM
Oct 2018
JokerVentura said:
@CaptainFekezu

Let me change it a little bit. It was established that shigarakis father didn't care about him that much and he set up ridicolous rules(with some sense in them). They took a toll on shigaraki. The founding of the photo of his grandmother and the aftermath that followed made shigaraki the man he is today. Also using the word "Emo" (emotional hardcore) has no meaning in critizing a tragic backstory of a villain. It just tells you that it was very emotional. People react to situations differently depending on the conditions they were born with and what kind of childhoods they had. There is also the "two sides of the same coin" thing.
Adding in what I meant with "All it takes is just a one bad day" line (is in the vol 24 cover) is that all the villains in league of villains in this arc with backstories revealed had only a one bad day and the hidden emotions burst out. Many of them were children as well (shigaraki and Toga) emotionally unstable.
Deadpool and twice are definetly not the same thing or nearly even close. Twices costume and some other things were inspired by deadpool. Shigaraki's family isn't emo if you compare it to transgender people, the aggressive feminists, highschool drama, etc. So again your statements fall flat.
I also think Re-Destro is a great villain and we need more focus on him.

My statement last time was rushed and I didn't think it through. But it doesn't mean I am stupid because I responded to a critisism that didn't point out actual flaws and was just bullshit. (English is not my native language or even close to it so forgive for mistakes in language)
CaptainFekezuJul 27, 2019 1:00 PM
Jul 27, 2019 5:36 PM
Oct 2018
queenhinata said:
imagine if the police or a hero had gotten to Shig before AFO :x

well the hands that once defined Shig the villain are gone now. a massive change to him as a character - visually and character-wise.

i can't wait for the day when All Might finds out that Shig is a descendant of Nana...

All might already found that out since his fight against all for one
Jul 28, 2019 3:48 AM
Dec 2018
Slimcoder said:
I think at this point its quite clear that the people (not all of course) who dislike Shigaraki will continue in a sorta irrational sense where they will continue to hate on him regardless of well anything just cause he started out as a man-child type character.

Cause sure these flashbacks may not be perfect writing but it does show new sides of Shigaraki that reveal him to be somewhat of a complex character especially in his relationship with AFO. You don't have to like the character but too call him completely without depth or "cliche" & "generic" in a broad negative sense is just in-factual.

Its why I can't take claims like "Its completely lacking in substance, quality, and depth" seriously. Its hyperbole and over-exaggerations like that which reveal you are not speaking from a a fair or impartial enough standpoint. You just want to keep on hating the character & will consider anything related to him as a negative no matter what.

I don’t really think that’s fair. I mean, a lot of people’s problem with Shigaraki was always how terrible and empty of a villain he was. Simply wanting to destroy just because, coming up with all these dumb plans, wasting resources, etc. And if someone didn’t like Shigaraki for these reasons then the recent events aren’t gonna change their mind on him; he still wants to destroy just because (And according to his backstory he's always been this way), when they needed money they went to rob a small church instead of a bank, and his whole plan this arc was to storm an entire organization with his small group of 6 people, thinking that they’d be fine before Gigantomachia woke up (They were boxed in and Toga was dying, had it not been for the doctor, they would have been screwed).

Compare him to Re-Destro, who has a solid ideology within the setting, he has a dream and has plans towards attaining it. Even Overhaul had the goal & plan of restoring the mafia. Shigaraki? He has nothing, he just wants to wreck shit. He's a villain for the sake of it. If he wasn't the main villain, nobody would care but he is, and that just isn't compelling enough for some of us. You don't have to agree but please at least try to understand our viewpoint a little.
Jul 28, 2019 4:08 AM

Aug 2017
AndrexXClassic said:
Slimcoder said:

I don’t really think that’s fair. I mean, a lot of people’s problem with Shigaraki was always how terrible and empty of a villain he was. Simply wanting to destroy just because, coming up with all these dumb plans, wasting resources, etc. And if someone didn’t like Shigaraki for these reasons then the recent events aren’t gonna change their mind on him; he still wants to destroy just because (And according to his backstory he's always been this way), when they needed money they went to rob a small church instead of a bank, and his whole plan this arc was to storm an entire organization with his small group of 6 people, thinking that they’d be fine before Gigantomachia woke up (They were boxed in and Toga was dying, had it not been for the doctor, they would have been screwed).

Compare him to Re-Destro, who has a solid ideology within the setting, he has a dream and has plans towards attaining it. Even Overhaul had the goal & plan of restoring the mafia. Shigaraki? He has nothing, he just wants to wreck shit. He's a villain for the sake of it. If he wasn't the main villain, nobody would care but he is, and that just isn't compelling enough for some of us. You don't have to agree but please at least try to understand our viewpoint a little.

I would try if people weren't constantly devolving his motive to just "destroying shit just cause". I feel that's the part people are twisting to make him look worse than he actually is. There is nothing inherantly wrong with the "destroy everything" motive. Some people wanna change society, others just wanna burn it down. Honestly it feels like there's some kind of bias towards the motive that also props up the conqueror type to an unnecessary degree.

Even then Shigaraki's motive isn't "destroy everything just cause." His origin reveals why he's really doing this & that his desires stem from a similar disatisfaction & hatred of society similar to Re-Destro. Unlike Re-Destro who wants to take over society, Shigaraki decides its all horrible so he'll burn it all down. Simple yes but not so one-note as some people claim it is.

Plus he states that his teammates are free to do whatever they want with the world after he's done. He's not in it to rule the world like Re-Destro & Overhaul, he just wants to take down the society that caused him pain. Also he didn't rob a small church, he robbed a hate group & did so instead of a bank because a bank would get the heroes on their ass. He chose the hate group because they were secluded, thus no chance of law enforcement coming in.
SlimcoderJul 28, 2019 4:17 AM
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jul 28, 2019 6:44 AM
Dec 2018
Slimcoder said:
I would try if people weren't constantly devolving his motive to just "destroying shit just cause". I feel that's the part people are twisting to make him look worse than he actually is. There is nothing inherantly wrong with the "destroy everything" motive. Some people wanna change society, others just wanna burn it down. Honestly it feels like there's some kind of bias towards the motive that also props up the conqueror type to an unnecessary degree.

He wants to destroy because he enjoys it, that has been established since the USJ arc, and his backstory reinforces that (getting ecstatic over murdering his entire family).

Please read my comment again; I never said that it’s inherently bad, I made it a point to include that it “just isn't compelling enough for some of us.” (Also, wanting to “destroy everything” isn’t the problem, wanting to “destroy everything just because” is).

Even then Shigaraki's motive isn't "destroy everything just cause." His origin reveals why he's really doing this & that his desires stem from a similar disatisfaction & hatred of society similar to Re-Destro. Unlike Re-Destro who wants to take over society, Shigaraki decides its all horrible so he'll burn it all down. Simple yes but not so one-note as some people claim it is.

Plus he states that his teammates are free to do whatever they want with the world after he's done. He's not in it to rule the world like Re-Destro & Overhaul, he just wants to take down the society that caused him pain. Also he didn't rob a small church, he robbed a hate group & did so instead of a bank because a bank would get the heroes on their ass. He chose the hate group because they were secluded, thus no chance of law enforcement coming in.

What pain? Society didn’t do anything to him. You are the one twisting things here. He doesn't care about society, that's why Spinner asked Toga why she's still in the league if Shigaraki doesn't care about reforming society. He simply has this itch to destroy everything that he doesn’t like, which is shallow and childish (the doctor & Re-Destro point this out as well).

EDIT: Your reasoning for why they didn’t rob a bank is logical but it's still only an assumption, nowhere is that stated. They had no problem appearing on a High-Way to steal from Overhaul and making a clean get-away right after. Also, if they wanted to aim small, then convenience stores would have also worked. That, and their title (being the “League of Villains”) was enough to get funds according to Overhaul.
AndrexXClassicJul 28, 2019 6:50 AM
Jul 28, 2019 8:13 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
Lots of conflicting views on the backstory. From my perspective it shows our main villain is a product of the society. A broken family left behind by heroism and a society overly reliant on heroes to pick up the slack of helping. That and literally running into the big bad.

Not denying that there isn’t some internal issues with Tomura, nor that his story is groundbreaking. But it fits MHA’s themes like a glove. For me that’s important and seeing him tear off his shackles was great! I really enjoy this arc.

PS I will admit I actually like edgy characters. But I do think Tomura is about to spell out what he wants (or I hope cause that needs clarification)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 421 Discussion

deg - Apr 24

15 by ThatDeadMikey »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 419 Discussion ( 1 2 )

thebrentinator24 - Apr 3

51 by Biisoo »»
Today, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 373 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 18, 2022

24 by KoniginElle »»
Yesterday, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 420 Discussion

deg - Apr 10

25 by Crisdarto »»
Apr 22, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 416 Discussion

deg - Mar 7

24 by omgtouya »»
Apr 20, 3:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.