Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2019 10:47 AM

Feb 2019
I dont like how the message of this movie is basically, "We're fucked so dont even try to win. The best we can do is just not try, because trying will make it worse. I'm not going to show how, but just trust me on this."

Even if our end is inevitable we shouldn't give up and waste time, we should try until you can't try anymore and even then you should still yearn for victory. Giving up only ensures the end.

The only reason progress went bad is because both aliens made huge retarded mistakes, ones that could be easily learned from their failure and rectified. It is a mistake to build something that's only objective is to destroy and to use anything including lives to fulfill its purpose without any consent. It is a mistake to summon an interdimensional being that could destroy everything for basically shits and giggles.

If it would take a miracle to save us, then know that miracles can only happen through effort.
Mar 28, 2019 3:18 PM

Dec 2015
A bit underwhelming. I liked movie 2 the best - and MAL scores seem to agree with this. (Best score out of the 3.)

Movie 1 was okay as introduction ... but a bit boring. Movie 3 had an okay-ish end but the stuff with the "magic" (highly advanced tech and the god of the Exif) was a bit "too much".

Too much talking, not enough action. And the chars were not that interesting.

But then again I usually don't like movies (and try to avoid watching them) - because of their different setup. (Slow start until climax ... and this movie didn't even have really interesting parts ...)
Jun 5, 2019 6:45 PM

Jul 2016
So why did the exif consider death at the hands of Gidhora to be superior to the death of Godzilla?
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency
Jun 6, 2019 11:56 AM

Apr 2016
..Let's see if i understand ... Maina is pregnant with Harou's child, and Haruo decides to commit suicide..... WHAT THE ACTUALLY F*CK!!????

Jun 17, 2019 7:46 AM

May 2018
Lame and one of the worst anime movies I watch. I look forward to see Godzilla fought Ghidorah but all I see is Ghirodah biting helpless Godzilla and Haruo day dreaming.
Jul 13, 2019 3:00 PM

Dec 2015
This movie was kinda fine until that dumb suicide move from Haruo at the end.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 15, 2019 6:59 AM

May 2015
Banged girl...find out she's pregnant...leaeve...dead...c'mon haruo you are not black father.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 5, 2019 8:01 AM
Oct 2017
Terrible writing but someone got knocked up šŸ¤£šŸ˜­
Oct 22, 2019 11:29 PM

Jan 2009
ok i decided to watch it anyway

but lol wtf is this conservative backwards mentality shit lol mix with destructive nihilism

religions goal is to offer their literal life to god like gods of destruction?

technology progress is bad because it will lead to create another Godzilla? i guess Vulnerable World Hypothesis is the inspiration for this one

meh lol
Nov 14, 2019 2:49 PM

Nov 2013
The Exif's fanaticism worked as counterpart to the overreliance on technology of the Bilusaludo, but overall it was executed rather poorly.

I was hoping to see more of the twins and Mothra.

And while the conclusion made sense in the context of the movie's themes, it was rather disappointing.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 7, 2019 2:13 AM
Apr 2016
deg said:
ok i decided to watch it anyway

but lol wtf is this conservative backwards mentality shit lol mix with destructive nihilism

religions goal is to offer their literal life to god like gods of destruction?

technology progress is bad because it will lead to create another Godzilla? i guess Vulnerable World Hypothesis is the inspiration for this one

meh lol

As expected of you, you have completely misunderstood the implications and philosophy behind it. Seriously deg, you have been around for a decade, have you really done no progress through all this stuff you consumed?
Could I kindly ask you to read inputs the following inputs on this thread: #4, #7, #14, #20, #29,#35. They should provide enough explanation to this trilogy. If you reflect upon them I would be interested in hearing your response, then.
Re:formed
Jan 17, 2020 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
3 reasons why I watched this trilogy:

-It's on Netflix so easy access

-Visuals and animation are on point

-it's Godzilla madafaka

Though aside from that, I don't know.

Sep 21, 2020 3:34 AM

May 2012
I am actually quite disappointed about this movie and so it seems ending of this trilogie? It was just so damn lackluster and uninteresting if you really ask me...

Couldn't really enjoy it as the pacing and story development was all over the place.

So yea pretty meh if you ask me, especially for the great Godzilla that is.
Dec 9, 2020 8:10 PM

Jun 2017
The trilogy gives an interesting perspective about the ways of death of civilisations and how any other sentient creatures can be different in values compared to our own. But it also has plenty of foolish ideas and needles infodumps. The first movie in particular was a mess of flash backs. The first "mini" Godzilla should never have been there. Instead we should have gotten a movie where humans go to space at the end. Instead, all the interesting and important stuff was crammed into the flashback and we got some predictable action sequences.
I admit I enjoyed the 3rd part the most. The way Metphies acted was fascinating. But I have a hard time believing that a species that has no problems in throwing their life away for a God would have such a high technological advancements and was able to live for so long without extinction.
From a scientific viewpoint they don't try to explain anything about Godzilla. It is always speculation from people. How such a massive thing doesn't collapse from its own weight or what does it even consume to get so much energy is left for imagination. A wasted potential imo. 5/10.
Feb 19, 2021 5:23 PM
Jan 2021
This trilogy was so disappointing that it made me use the discussion feature for the 1st time

As mentioned, this is my 1st time posting so be warned. I'm pretty new to MAL and initially thought I'd shy away from discussions for awhile. But lo and behold this movie, and boy did I have a change of heart. (this movie out of all things!)

For my thoughts on just the 3rd movie, skip to the last 4 or so paragraphs

Overall Thoughts of Trilogy

When I watched the first movie, I was really invested in this new what-if take: starting out with a bad ending of humanity losing. I liked the tone of the grim future living in space. And even after they landed on Earth, that tone still carried over well. I just wish it remained for at least the next movie.

The fights were the coolest in this movie, even with the small monsters. This is where RTS game me starts speaking. Every unit seemed to matter whether it was light infantry, transports, scouts, mechs, etc. I wish they wrote in some way to sustain (ideally heavier) reinforcements so we could see more of this; pure military might and strategy with no stupid gimmicky crutches like nanomachines. I would say that the only thing that tops the Movie 1 fights were the kaiju vs. kaiju fights, but oh wait there aren't any! Point is, on there own they are fine/good, but relative to the other movies are much more interesting.

Speaking of nanomachines, Movie 2 is the point where the trilogy just turns into a battle of ideologies. A battle that is facilitated by Godzilla and MechaGodzilla. They are cool concepts but poorly executed. This isn't Monogatari. I didn't come here to watch 2 races out-ideal the other. I like the horror factor introduced in Movie 1 and I wish they kept going in that direction. I'd take that over the nanomachine horror. I was confused by the Bilusaludo sucking up to the nanotech. I thought they were supposed to be the Halo Brutes of the triad. (yes, I went off of appearances, I'm just that xenophobic) They didn't make it clear that it was their achievement and not humanity's. So it took me longer than it should have to grow suspicious of them.

Keeping up the Halo* analogies, when first introduced to the Exif, it was sort of an eye-roller, thinking they were just the Prophets from that game. But they started to grow on me that were like a good and benevolent version of the Covenant. But nope, they ended up being just like them. Except these nihilistic scumbags knew their goal behind spreading their faith would bring everyone to a doomed existence.

And I guess the humans are like the Elites idk; tools that were easily conned by both Exif and Bilusaludo.

So for a middle-ground guy like me, the only likeable races are humans and Houtua since they had the least radical views. Definitely the Houtua but I will explain later.

Thoughts of Movie 3

Starting with the positives, the CGI itself is at its best, but doesn't have much to complement that. Especially the camerawork, sheesh. Next and last, Keith Silverstein voiced like 5 of the characters.

I was a little upset that Gidorah in King of Monsters wasn't as imposing as I thought he'd be. So by the end of Movie 2, I was desperately hoping they'd finish the trilogy strong and by doing Gidorah justice. But here, he was turned into a scrub-ass puppet* fighter who just camps out Godzilla from across space & time with what should be his spiritual projection attack. Not to mention Mothra being added to this spirit battle fiasco; only further teasing us with the lack of kaiju vs. kaiju action.

The ending was the nail in the coffin for making me write this. The whole effort to defeat Godzilla was made pointless. It was painfully obvious from the beginning that optimal strat is to coexist as privatives. I didn't need 3 movies to figure that out. Also, it was very out of character for Martin to be excited to rebuild civilization with the remaining nanotech, especially after witnessing Movie 2's events. Such a crappy excuse to get Haruo to tie up the story.

This is why I think the Houtua are the best. Aside from the twins being smokin' hot. They were more fleshed out than the Exif and Bilisulado with their culture and beliefs. It was cool they let the other parties fight Gozilla although it was against their ways. No time wasted adding yet another secondary antagonist. Rather, they are supportive mediators. Furthermore, Maina points out to Haruo that choosing to "Lose" would make all of this pointless, reminding him of his original will. And she ultimately let him go. Most importantly, they are the most qualified to speak for what's best for the planet b/c they actually lived through it all .

The humans should have stayed in space. So in this case I think the ship captain was the rightest of them all. Finding another planet was a better option. Just leave the Houtua alone. Humans don't deserve to integrate, mingle, and breed with these beautiful specimens.
*Puppet is a fighting game term. To oversimplify, it's any Stand user type character.
Jun 29, 2021 7:49 AM

Jul 2015
Scouge said:
This trilogy was so disappointing that it made me use the discussion feature for the 1st time

As mentioned, this is my 1st time posting so be warned. I'm pretty new to MAL and initially thought I'd shy away from discussions for awhile. But lo and behold this movie, and boy did I have a change of heart. (this movie out of all things!)

For my thoughts on just the 3rd movie, skip to the last 4 or so paragraphs

Overall Thoughts of Trilogy

When I watched the first movie, I was really invested in this new what-if take: starting out with a bad ending of humanity losing. I liked the tone of the grim future living in space. And even after they landed on Earth, that tone still carried over well. I just wish it remained for at least the next movie.

The fights were the coolest in this movie, even with the small monsters. This is where RTS game me starts speaking. Every unit seemed to matter whether it was light infantry, transports, scouts, mechs, etc. I wish they wrote in some way to sustain (ideally heavier) reinforcements so we could see more of this; pure military might and strategy with no stupid gimmicky crutches like nanomachines. I would say that the only thing that tops the Movie 1 fights were the kaiju vs. kaiju fights, but oh wait there aren't any! Point is, on there own they are fine/good, but relative to the other movies are much more interesting.

Speaking of nanomachines, Movie 2 is the point where the trilogy just turns into a battle of ideologies. A battle that is facilitated by Godzilla and MechaGodzilla. They are cool concepts but poorly executed. This isn't Monogatari. I didn't come here to watch 2 races out-ideal the other. I like the horror factor introduced in Movie 1 and I wish they kept going in that direction. I'd take that over the nanomachine horror. I was confused by the Bilusaludo sucking up to the nanotech. I thought they were supposed to be the Halo Brutes of the triad. (yes, I went off of appearances, I'm just that xenophobic) They didn't make it clear that it was their achievement and not humanity's. So it took me longer than it should have to grow suspicious of them.

Keeping up the Halo* analogies, when first introduced to the Exif, it was sort of an eye-roller, thinking they were just the Prophets from that game. But they started to grow on me that were like a good and benevolent version of the Covenant. But nope, they ended up being just like them. Except these nihilistic scumbags knew their goal behind spreading their faith would bring everyone to a doomed existence.

And I guess the humans are like the Elites idk; tools that were easily conned by both Exif and Bilusaludo.

So for a middle-ground guy like me, the only likeable races are humans and Houtua since they had the least radical views. Definitely the Houtua but I will explain later.

Thoughts of Movie 3

Starting with the positives, the CGI itself is at its best, but doesn't have much to complement that. Especially the camerawork, sheesh. Next and last, Keith Silverstein voiced like 5 of the characters.

I was a little upset that Gidorah in King of Monsters wasn't as imposing as I thought he'd be. So by the end of Movie 2, I was desperately hoping they'd finish the trilogy strong and by doing Gidorah justice. But here, he was turned into a scrub-ass puppet* fighter who just camps out Godzilla from across space & time with what should be his spiritual projection attack. Not to mention Mothra being added to this spirit battle fiasco; only further teasing us with the lack of kaiju vs. kaiju action.

The ending was the nail in the coffin for making me write this. The whole effort to defeat Godzilla was made pointless. It was painfully obvious from the beginning that optimal strat is to coexist as privatives. I didn't need 3 movies to figure that out. Also, it was very out of character for Martin to be excited to rebuild civilization with the remaining nanotech, especially after witnessing Movie 2's events. Such a crappy excuse to get Haruo to tie up the story.

This is why I think the Houtua are the best. Aside from the twins being smokin' hot. They were more fleshed out than the Exif and Bilisulado with their culture and beliefs. It was cool they let the other parties fight Gozilla although it was against their ways. No time wasted adding yet another secondary antagonist. Rather, they are supportive mediators. Furthermore, Maina points out to Haruo that choosing to "Lose" would make all of this pointless, reminding him of his original will. And she ultimately let him go. Most importantly, they are the most qualified to speak for what's best for the planet b/c they actually lived through it all .

The humans should have stayed in space. So in this case I think the ship captain was the rightest of them all. Finding another planet was a better option. Just leave the Houtua alone. Humans don't deserve to integrate, mingle, and breed with these beautiful specimens.
*Puppet is a fighting game term. To oversimplify, it's any Stand user type character.

Wow, I read the 4 pages of comments and finally read this last one made in january. Happy to read all these discussions and happy to be still here in june 2021. Well, I just finished the trilogy. Im mostly agree with your comments @Scouge, with the difference that I did not find it disappointing, but entertaining...(I gave ratings 8, 8 and 7, despite there are things that I dislike).

But, yeah, I mean, I am agree with all you said, specially with film 3, which, clearly, was the "nail in the coffin for making me write this". First of all, I love Houtua, the way they handle all, the decision making, their determination, their kindness, their cultures, the twins rol...

About Sasaki's suicide (wich is what most bother me). It was totally unnecessary and senseless ("Maina points out to Haruo that choosing to" Lose "would make all of this pointless"). In conclusion, Sasaki in the end gives up. I understand that this could be because of having hatred for Godzilla, because of depression, because he was tormented, because he has a global concept of everything that has happened and is obsessed and afraid that the cycle of destruction will repeat in the future ... whatever. I can understand it. The problem I have is that, as Miana says, "losing" now is giving up, why give up now that you can finally live on "Earth", in peace, with beings that are apparently human and the twins that They can speak in human language, in addition to being pregnant and expecting a child one of them ... he can finally form a family and live like an human in his native planet, be happy and then, he goes and destroys that happiness...
Godzilla is already asleep because there are no threats that attack him, it does not give any problem, so...there is no reason Sasaki still have that much hate against Godzilla... in the end, Sasaki had won: the mission was to recover the Earth, and they get it, taking part and reestablishing a new human civilization (or very similar).
So, when everything is calm, Sasaki just surrenders, at the last moment, without counting on anyone and in a very selfish way, not caring about everything he leaves behind. Worst of all: his suicide is useless, as well as the destruction of the nanotech and yuuko, because apparently, humans will develop again. Therefore, in the long term, the repetition of the cycle of destruction is assured ... the only thing that he achieves is to delay it.
Therefore, the bad guy is not really Godzilla, who is born to punish humans for their selfishness ... but Gidorah, who is devouring worlds and planets. There was no reasons for the hate against Godzilla anymore. In any case, Sasaki could have destroyed the nanotech and Yuuko without commiting suicide...
I think that in the end, the third film has focused too much on ideologies and races, and on the reflection of the villain ... instead, a lot of reflection on the part of the hero has been lacking, in the end, he has acted impulsively and incoherently with his previous actions ...

In short, if something has disappointed me, it has been Sasaki's attitudes and behaviors in this third film ... for the rest, I liked everything and I have entertained myself. I recommend watching the trilogy (obviously, this trilogy is not a masterpiece).

I forgot to say that im practically new to Godzilla world, tho I am from 90s and grew up with some bioman and ultraman...but I just barely watch kaiju series and I dont really know anything about Godzilla lore.

I also want to add that, apparently, if the cycle of destruction is inevitable, that is, if it is the fate of the entire civilization to go through it since Gidorah cannot be killed, then I think the wisest thing is to live happily, to develop civilization and resign oneself to it ... still, can someone explain to me why the Ghidorah cannot be killed and thus end the cycle? It just isn't clear to me. And if it is possible to kill him, why doesn't Godzilla kill him in the third movie? I ask because, if he can be killed, then humanity and other civilizations could eventually find out how to kill him or use / help Godzilla to kill him.

Stay positive)))

PD: want to know @Daniel_Naumov opinions again and others))
BelselJun 29, 2021 10:18 AM
Sep 18, 2021 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
While nice original philosophical plot, still disappointed as I expected something different from this Godzilla trilogy. That end though, I understand Haruo doing a final suicide attack against Godzilla to stop the cycle Metphies wants and prevent the remaining nanomachines on Yuko to ever form a threat again but still sad he can't live a peaceful life with Maina and his kid.

Sep 28, 2021 7:47 AM

Feb 2021
linua said:

i might be mistaken, but from what i can understand,
yuko and the mecha are the last key for humanity to achieve the tech they have lost before and with time, the cycle will repeat again until ghidorah able to consume the world. by "removing these keys, the cycle can be at least prevented and might be stopped entirely.

as for why haruo be the one that do this, he might think that he inherit the link to ghidorah from metphies on his right eye so being gone/dead, it will cut off that link too.

I understand the ending a bit better now. Thanks!

Sep 28, 2021 8:02 AM

Feb 2021
It was a pretty good ending for the trilogy.

Metphies with all his philosophical ramblings. He was the one behind all of this from the start. Also he was probably the closest comrade Haruo had.

Also they showed Ghidorah as some other worldly being who defied the laws of our reality. That was hella cool ngl.

Also Haruo got laid by of the twins. Maina if I'm correct. Damn he could have both lol.

They also showed a glimpse of Mothra

It would have been cool if the humans had already thrown away their 'modernity' and lived with the Houtua tribe. But I think Haruo cut of the 'cycle' Metphies was talking about. He destroyed that last mecha, remaining nanometal and Yuko who was acting as the source of the nanometal. This way their links to the modernity was cut off and they broke the cycle I guess?

Also did that crash kill Godzilla or something?

Anyway it was a pretty average movie and a fitting end for the trilogy.

Oct 18, 2021 8:16 AM
Jan 2020
I've wasted my precious time.
Nov 2, 2021 8:50 PM

Jul 2016
Not bad. I found myself fairly bored with the first 2 movies, so it's nice that this one kept me entertained the whole way through.

All the Godzilla tropes were there. I really liked the concept of Ghidorah being this lovecraftian dimensional god trying to get revived by some insane nihilistic cult.
This finale was actually a nice surprise. idk how I missed the whole Mothra thing in the second movie. I should have known the moment the twins were introduced. (maybe i did notice. it's been a while since i watched it)
Would have been nice to have seen her hatch though

Post credits scene was neat. They're showing how the Houtua created a tradition of "burning away" their anger and fear so that no one ever attempts to pull a Haruo again.

Anyways, Ghidorah was cool. The fight sucked. Tribal waifus were top tier. 6/10
Aug 2, 2022 8:13 PM

Nov 2010
In the end, the best way is to live simple lives and co-exist with Godzilla. Maybe they can develop only the safe kind of technology to make life convenient at least. It's annoying it took them 3 movies to realize that. 6/10

I still think they would've been better off turning into a gestalt consciousness with the help of nanometals.
Dec 10, 2022 2:34 PM

Mar 2010
Took 3 movies for them to.... Literally -all- die. Not accomplish a single goal from movie 1, realized cults are bad, and for everyone to still bow down to godzilla as a god.
Disappointing.
May 9, 2023 7:46 PM

Jan 2016
MoonFox said:
Took 3 movies for them to.... Literally -all- die. Not accomplish a single goal from movie 1, realized cults are bad, and for everyone to still bow down to godzilla as a god.

Literally every statement in this comment is showing complete lack of understanding about messages this trilogy tried to convey.
May 9, 2023 8:12 PM

Jan 2016
I have mixed feeling about this trilogy, but definitely there's something interesting to dig into in it. Lots of symbolism, allegories, metaphors, archetypes, personifications and parabolizations. I'm not sure if there's some deeper thought to all this poetic figures and often metaphysical ideas, but on the surface level it might suggest there's something going on beneath. Or maybe it's just loose ideas tied together.
I mean, there's something there, but it would require to watch it few times very thoroughly, analyze and do some notes to find something possibly deeper between the lines.
ArthassMay 9, 2023 8:15 PM
Jul 22, 2023 8:20 PM

Dec 2012
What a ridiculous, nihilistic message.. Essentially, "If there are destructive forces in the world that you cannot control, then you should just kill yourself so other more ignorant people can continue to survive day to day." I appreciate the message of accepting that humanity cannot control unstoppable forces of nature, but the solution presented was absolutely wrong. I understand something had to be done about the leftover nanotechnology but there must have been a solution that didn't involve killing himself (which seems to be what he wanted to do anyway).
PureStoneJul 22, 2023 8:29 PM
Nov 15, 2023 1:31 PM

Jul 2021
Honestly a disappointing end to an alright trilogy. I liked ghidorah's design.

May 7, 1:26 AM

Sep 2014
Did my first rewatch of the trilogy after over 5 years and this third movie is still my most hated piece of Godzilla media lol

I actually feel like I softened abit more on the first of the trilogy, I generally like it, but the downfall starts with the 2nd, and then completely flops with the third. This trilogy was such a waste of an amazing setting. Probably my last time I ever watch it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Worst Godzilla Movie | Totally ruined it

FateXBlood - Jan 11, 2019

11 by FateXBlood »»
Apr 16, 2022 11:32 PM

» Hey, I didn't watch this trilogy to see an ending like this! Ā 

mufarari - Mar 3, 2019

6 by Tentaclehusbando »»
Oct 6, 2021 10:38 AM

» Off-topic: are you waiting for Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) movie?

uninstallthegame - Aug 23, 2018

5 by RyuKazumaki »»
May 25, 2020 10:08 AM

» Major Spoilers: What did you think of Metphies after watching the entire trilogy?

fantasynight04 - Jan 24, 2019

3 by CtrlZED »»
Feb 24, 2019 12:25 PM

» Animation premiers tomorrow; any idea when it will be available online?

Daniel_Naumov - Nov 1, 2018

6 by Masshiroi »»
Jan 12, 2019 2:51 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.