Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2018 6:05 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm actually amazed how attached I've gotten towards the characters and how well executed the themes were. Especially the contrast between criminal and respectable citizen, poverty and wealth, freedom and obligations made it a very interesting romance drama.

Eventually they all have to deal with their problems and to start over, really love that about this open ending.

Fantastic OVA, really. Art, sound( even tho I wasn't too fond of it at the beginning), directing were top notch and it's not common, that a short anime is leaving such an emotional impact on me. I'm a bit biased there, so I'm gonna give a 9/10 instead of an 8 for now.

Shotout to Orphans for treating anime fans like that.
FMmatronNov 17, 2018 6:09 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 12, 2019 7:43 AM

Jan 2013
taka was kind of a douchebag leaving his woman behind to save his own skin lol. guess boys will be boys. greed of men never changes throughout the ages.
Jan 25, 2019 3:23 PM

Sep 2011
A promise made between two people who loved each other, but that couldn't be fulfilled, huh. That's tragic, but it's a different kind of tragedy than I was expecting considering the circumstances.

Poor Sara, she helplessly watched her mother dying in front of her, and on top of that she was separated from her brother, and the man she loved. At least she was able to be with her mother during her last moments, and she went in peace after seeing a beautiful dream. But it has to hurt a lot, not even knowing if they are still alive; Saburou's sacrifice at least gave her hope, a pity he was killed and that he couldn't help her to find Taka.

I'm a bit bitter with Akiko's part too. I don't think it was fair to lie to her saying that Taka died, but I'm almost inclined to believe it was for the better, after all she was ready to let go of her obsession and to start anew; but her husband did the right and the wrong thing at the same time. He wanted to be honest with her, and so he told her that Taka was alive and where he went, and that's great; but he only did it after sleeping with her because he knew he was going to lose his "chance" if told her as soon as she said that Taka was dead. I mean, I feel bad for him and Akiko's despair felt petty, but it was like he took advantage of her, and it wasn't right.

And well, the ending is open to a degree, but it's like Akiko is the one who is going to find Taka, and Sara will stay with Kiyokuni while Taka doesn't "show up." At least Taka ended with Junichirou I guess, still a better ship than Taka x Akiko. lol It wasn't great or perfect, but it was very compelling for sure.
Mar 29, 2019 10:56 PM

Aug 2015
Taka says he won't stop looking for Sara
Immediately goes to Shanghai, making it harder to find her

This is the most shoujo thing ever
May 2, 2019 2:58 PM
Nov 2009
HibiChika said:
taka was kind of a douchebag leaving his woman behind to save his own skin lol. guess boys will be boys. greed of men never changes throughout the ages.

Yeah, it's better to die and at the same time make the woman in love with you unhappy if she finds out. At least he isn't actually retarded like you want him to be.
On the other hand, Akiko, so deeply in love with Taka, learns of his death and immediately does it with her husband, wanting to start a new life together. Oh? Taka is alive! Well, screw you, I'm off. Typical whoring around but I guess girls will be girls, eh?

While the presentation of the anime is mature, the story and characters are pretty shoujo-like, written for 14-year-old girls. It's a shame. If not for that, the anime could have definitely been better.
Also, somehow that banker's son learned Taka's name in the final episode, even though Akiko never mentioned it to him before (unless I missed that). And then that plot device where he magically knows it's the Taka Akiko never talked about...uff.
May 22, 2020 9:07 PM

Oct 2010
I did not expect that, firstly I thought I was missing an episode but that's it, sad ending with the characters left with their love unfulfilled
7/10
Jul 5, 2021 5:15 PM

Oct 2018
Another tragic shojo ends and I'm sad again, poor Sara, it was the character I was the most invested in, honestly couldn't really care much for Akiko.

Also I was surprised at how good the action scenes were. Overall these OVAs have a really strong film noir feel and I loved it, I don't get the low score on MAL
Oct 11, 2021 3:13 AM

Aug 2017
Part of the reason Taka gave off such a badass vibe was his seiyuu...who I think had a voice similar to that of Norio Wakamoto.

In any case, even an open ending turned out to be pretty great, though I'm really curious what happens in the 9-volume manga this OVA was based on.
Jul 15, 2023 1:33 PM

Jan 2016
man, I don't even like romance and shoujo but I wanted to jump to the manga right after finishing the OVA because of how enthralled I was by the story... but none of you damn weebs scanlated it! :(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kasei Yakyoku Episode 3 Discussion

FMmatron - Nov 17, 2018

5 by PxHC »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:44 PM

Poll: » Kasei Yakyoku Episode 1 Discussion

FMmatron - Nov 16, 2018

3 by PxHC »»
Jul 15, 2023 11:03 AM

Poll: » Kasei Yakyoku Episode 2 Discussion

FMmatron - Nov 17, 2018

3 by Unowen »»
Jun 30, 2019 6:32 AM

» Has anyone seen this?

Blinkspot - May 10, 2017

0 by Blinkspot »»
May 10, 2017 12:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.