Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2018 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, this was an intense start. Right off the bat, we got soldiers fighting on the battlefield and this episode didn't waste time showcasing the violence, blood, death, etc.

I think the highlight of the episode would be Sugimoto's personality as he really shows it when he fights with that intense energy. The setting also looks refreshing and I like the way this is illustrated so far.

Production quality looks good so far so I hope they can keep it that way except for the CG. The show is also interesting for its wilderness and animals so that's definitely worth keeping in mind. I'm really happy to see Asirpa animated too!
Stark700Apr 9, 2018 8:49 AM
Apr 9, 2018 7:27 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
This was an awesome first episode. Fast-paced and straight to the action. It started off the same way as the manga, with the short war flashback. We get to see what Sugimoto's doing after the war and how he's on a gold hunt in Hokkaido. And coincidently he was told the story of the inmates and the Ainu that hid a stash of gold. Turned out that the person that told the story was one of the tattoed inmates himself.

The gore was completely toned down in the nightmare and the first inmate's body was censored though. Even the bear's guts were censored too, lol. I guess the gore will be cut out in this adaptation, but they'll still keep it bloody. On the plus side, skin peeling is not censored, which is good, because that will happen a lot in the series :P

The adaptation handled the atmosphere of the series well. And the voice-acting is top-notch too. Animations are good and the background art is great. Character art can be inconsistent at times, but it's fine. BGM is pretty solid too. The CGI on the bear is good, but looks out of place when mixed in with the 2D art XD

Two chapters adapted, which is more than half a volume. Surprisingly, it didn't feel rushed. At most, a couple of dialogues were cut out. I do wish they kept some of the informative narrations, like how the manga let us know why Asirpa's arrow didn't pierce the bear's head. Eh, I guess they didn't want narrations in the adaptation. OP plays at the end, but no visuals are given.

Pretty good spot to end the episode, as it establishes the story and the character relationship between Sugimoto and Asirpa.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 9, 2018 7:31 AM
Apr 9, 2018 7:31 AM
May 2016
Holy shit that fucking bear...
Apr 9, 2018 7:34 AM
Sep 2016
The OST and Voice acting are nice and also the...uhhhm...uhm....yah...and also...the voice acting and the OST?
1.1.Six
Apr 9, 2018 7:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great first episode, with the blood and entrails walking for the screen!!! kekeke
Apr 9, 2018 8:01 AM

Nov 2016
I watched the episode and then read a bit of the manga. Gotta say that the first episode was adapted quite well,could've been better of course,but I'm satisfied,think this anime is in good hands.

About the episode itself,I really enjoyed it. Sugimoto has caught my interest as character and I'm curious to see how things with him and Asirpa will progress.

Art,animation and sound were good,especially the art. However,there's also a but,while I thought that the CGI was decent, I couldn't help but think how weird it looked.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2018 8:20 AM

Apr 2017
Insert Asirpa face...... Ahh what a precious creature... To think it outright the background history of war between Russo-Jap era .. Plus.. the character is on the point since that's not easily the case. Setting up a catastrophic down the track leaving each path takes a bizarre darker turn which is set up in a different various elements such as the gritty writing where it narrates most counterparts that lies within the foreshadowing.
-HippySnob-Apr 9, 2018 9:14 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 9, 2018 8:27 AM

Apr 2016
Epic!! They adapted the manga pretty well so far, Asirpa looks so pretty animated! Sugimoto as badass as ever.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Apr 9, 2018 8:42 AM
Dec 2015
Very good adaptation so far, they're adapted first two chapter very well. It's nice to see Sugimoto and Asirpa, can't wait for another characters to show up.
OST was great based Kenichiro Suehiro & VA was fit for characters. Golden Kamuy was manga that really hard to adapted because many controversial content, I'm really hope Geno pull out this adaptation, but now I'm hype.

Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Apr 9, 2018 8:45 AM

May 2009
GCI bear was disgraceful. What the fuck they were thinking?
Apr 9, 2018 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
Meh, this is as boring as I thought it was going to be. Drop.
Apr 9, 2018 9:33 AM
Jul 2014
The episode overall was good. The animation overall was ok but when we got in to the fights, specially with the 3d Mobs that felt out of place, it wasn't really good for the first episode. I can see this going through the same path as Gangsta.

Anyway, hope they can deliver the rest of the story with same pace without rushing anything and the quality don't drop.
Zer00nApr 9, 2018 9:37 AM
Apr 9, 2018 9:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The anime of the season is here. Of course people who have To Love Ru as their favorite manga probably wont agree and drop after its first episode, right?

I like the choice of seeiyu's for Sugimoto and Asirpa. It fits them. I'm happy that Asirpa didn't get a nasal high pitched voice. She's a seasoned hunter and it wouldn't have fit her.

If I have to be picky, I'll just say that it's disappointing that the animation for the bears/wolves was crappy cgi. I know this happens because of budget reasons, I think we all do. But I wonder if producers ever look at what they've made when they use cgi in anime and think 'damn, that looks awful!'. I'd be embarrassed by some of the cgi out there.

I suppose that because of the number of episodes, a lot of the Hokkaido National Geographic and Cuisine stuff will be missing. Shame since it adds flavour to the proceedings.

FarabeufApr 9, 2018 10:00 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 9, 2018 9:58 AM

Jul 2016
Minus the really weird CGI bear, I really liked it! Good adaptation of the manga. Hopefully there won't be any other CGI misfits in the future.
Apr 9, 2018 9:59 AM

Nov 2012
Great start so far, I liked the story and the hunting elements. The animation looks good, except the CGI. It's not bad, but I find it weird to see the CGI fire and especially the bear combined with 2D animation.
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 9, 2018 10:02 AM

Apr 2016
This was good first episode, i like it. And i like the girl too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also now we know why only 12 episodes, when we look at those bears lol.
Apr 9, 2018 10:09 AM
Oct 2017
Honestly thought it was a good first start and adapted the manga at a good pace. The ost and voice acting were great as well. My only real problem was that CGI bear... I hope to God we don't see anymore of that
Apr 9, 2018 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
Farabeuf said:
The anime of the season is here. Of course people who have To Love Ru as their favorite manga probably wont agree and drop after its first episode, right?

Indeed, I prefer to spend my free time in finishing Zeta Gundam and the third season of Full Metal Panic than in watching a boring historical anime, sorry.
Apr 9, 2018 10:14 AM

May 2015
Bruh

Kamuy is a pretty good adaptation, the animation is not worth praising but neither the art of the manga, the only thing that the manga clearly does better are the gore (organs and blood spilling) and the wolf which is drawn more detailed + some scenes like when a girl takes out a knife has more impact in the manga. It adapted 2 chapter but that's because their length is like 4 chapters (50 + 30 pages while 3rd chapter next is 20 pages).
The anime is clunky but entertaining
zalApr 9, 2018 9:17 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Jan 2018
Man that bear looked awful, but other than that I really liked this episode. The MCs and the story are very interesting.
Apr 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Feb 2016
I'd say it's a pretty faithful adaptation thus far, much more graphic in the source material.

But WTF was that CGI sprinkled throughout, the fire and the bear were something indeed.
Apr 9, 2018 10:22 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good first episode, but that CGI is just really bad. It looks so out of place. Sugimoto is very cool and so is Asirpa. They have good chemistry. Looking forward to see them work together to find the gold.
Apr 9, 2018 10:24 AM
Mar 2015
One of the few anime where I've read the manga first.
I was so afraid I wasn't going to like it since the studio did Kokukku but...
It's ok. Apart from the awful cgi, it's ok.

I'm probably going to read some chapters again along the way.

Interested to hear about anime-only viewers!!
Apr 9, 2018 10:25 AM

Dec 2015
I love this anime already... that bear tho.
•••Everyone wants to connect with someone else•••
~Kiznaiver
Apr 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Sep 2016
this is awesome but if the CG is used a lot in other episode too the 10/10 is impossible IMO
Apr 9, 2018 10:37 AM

Aug 2016
That was a pretty good episode, looks like a very interesting story and I like the characters.
I did not read the manga yet but people are saying they adapted the source material pretty nicely and at a good pace so I'm happy for that.

Apr 9, 2018 10:40 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty good start so far. I never read the Manga and I went in blind because I didn't read the synopsis. I really like the setting and what's at stake. It's really unique. Can't wait to see more!
Apr 9, 2018 10:48 AM
Jul 2016
I also liked the beginning, but the use of CGI in the bear really seemed very meaningless to me. His use on the wolf was better than on the bear, for the wolf at least had a more or less exact texture. Besides, 2D is moderately good, better than it was in Kokkoku that at the end of the season fell quality.

But look for the good side, at least the CGI to emulate crowd was good and also we will not see many fights with animals lol

Although I say this, the bear CGI was good, they actually managed to emulate a bear. But it was the texture of the animal that made everything seem out of place. But there will be no more animal fights [I hope], so be quiet!
Apr 9, 2018 10:54 AM

Sep 2016
that fucking bear hahahahahaha
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 9, 2018 10:58 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The director talking about the CGI bear :

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 9, 2018 11:00 AM
Jul 2016
The director about the CGI bear

I think they wanted to make the bear more menacing as much as they could. But it was really exaggerated. There are better ways to portray a dangerous CGI animal without having a dysfunctional texture.

But at least animal fights will not be a constant in the series lol
Apr 9, 2018 11:05 AM
Apr 2016
So the first 2 minutes was enough to see that this is another alternative history. O-k-a-not-y. I think this was the fastest? Records, records... I discourage anyone wasting their time on this excessively valueless animation.
Re:formed
Apr 9, 2018 11:08 AM
Jul 2016
DatRandomDude said:
The director talking about the CGI bear :

There is a special effects animator that would be ideal for this, and is called Kou Yoshinari. If he had thought of it before it could have been avoided lol

Look for the scenes of the monsters from Made in Abyss and you will see that Yoshinari manages to create a unique and grotesque animation without undoing the animation.
Apr 9, 2018 11:09 AM

Jun 2016
The middling production values are almost certainly going to hold back the action scenes moving forward, though the ideas behind them make up for that to an extent. They're still interesting to see play out. Action aside, this story looks pretty rad. It's got a good concept, an interesting main duo with strong chemistry, ideologies, compelling motivations and conflicts, and the writing seems strong enough to capitalize on it all. I dig.

Edit: Seems like Asirpa recognizes the wolf. "Ratar..." - they're definitely connected somehow. Hoping to learn more about Asirpa and the Ainu people in general.
PlasmatizeApr 9, 2018 2:26 PM
Apr 9, 2018 11:10 AM
Jul 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:
So the first 2 minutes was enough to see that this is another alternative history. O-k-a-not-y. I think this was the fastest? Records, records... I discourage anyone wasting their time on this excessively valueless animation.
huh? Alternative history?, ever heard of Russo - japanese war?
code73Apr 9, 2018 11:13 AM
Apr 9, 2018 11:36 AM
Apr 2016
code73 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.
Re:formed
Apr 9, 2018 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
An unusual premise, but a solid and interesting first episode to get things started. The "realistic" bears were very odd, but honestly I thought the "anime-esque" wolf actually looked significantly more awkward. My main concern at this stage is that the plot feels like something that has no chance whatsoever of being resolved in 12 episodes, which is a shame because I'm very intrigued by what it has to offer.
Apr 9, 2018 11:51 AM

Jun 2014
Gods, these CGI bears came from another dimension to torture us

is completely killing the mood really worth paying less for the animation

aside from that, so far it's a proper adaptation I guess?
Apr 9, 2018 12:04 PM

Dec 2013
It was just great. Give me another episode already!
Apr 9, 2018 12:07 PM
Mar 2017
i’ve never read the manga so i wanted to ask is this episode a good adaption of it?
Apr 9, 2018 12:08 PM
Mar 2018
Laurits said:
i’ve never read the manga so i wanted to ask is this episode a good adaption of it?

it's good, so far the only complaints are the bear CGI
Apr 9, 2018 12:11 PM
Dec 2013
Atavistic said:
My main concern at this stage is that the plot feels like something that has no chance whatsoever of being resolved in 12 episodes, which is a shame because I'm very intrigued by what it has to offer.

You're right. The manga has over 150 chapters and is still going strong. I hope they make more seasons if this one is successful.
Apr 9, 2018 12:13 PM
Mar 2017
DandyMadao said:
Laurits said:

it's good, so far the only complaints are the bear CGI
Ok thanks i just wanted to know since i heard that the manga is really good and i’ve thought about reading it but then i heard about the anime coming out so i decided to give that a try before reading it in hopes that it might be a good adaptation
Apr 9, 2018 12:15 PM
Feb 2017
The reviews seem to be totally smashing on this show, but so far it's not too~ bad, imo. It definitely has a lot of room for improvement though, the animation feels a little sparse at parts, and the CG bears were absolutely horrendous, but I have hopes for this adaptation. I really like Sugimotos voice actor as well.
Apr 9, 2018 12:17 PM

Apr 2016
OMG 1st episode is amazing.. Asirpa is so damn gorgeous <3 ..
Everything is almost perfect, the art, the music..MAN WITH A MISSION is back again with a masterpice.
but why the studio decided to use that CGI for the bear?? I know is easier to make, but it looks bad..
Anyway great start, looking forward to next week..so far 9/10

Apr 9, 2018 12:21 PM

Oct 2014
I genuinely didn’t mind the CG
Animus and mangos
Apr 9, 2018 12:37 PM

Nov 2008
Daniel_Naumov said:
code73 said:

Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

Honestly soldiers have done more in actual combat like in ww2(like a guy who defeated a tank with crowbar). Nothing super unrealistic considering he is anime MC. He's nick name is "immortal" that is because he somehow always end up surviving situations he should have died, by luck.

Anyway i think the word you wanted to use was "unhistorical" not "alternative history" as alternative history is for example if nazis would have won ww2.

Just a tip that the show (and more so the manga) will give some really nice insight to life of the Ainu people. Which atleast i found pretty interesting (if you like history)
Apr 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Nov 2008
Outside the awful CGI bear. This seems great or atleast good adaption. VA is solid even though i was mildly worried. GJ
Apr 9, 2018 12:40 PM

Jul 2015
This anime is too explicit for me to feel comfortable, but that was one badass first episode tbh, I'm interested.
Apr 9, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2015
Nice start. I hate the CGI but at least the animation is not revolved around it.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2018

91 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Apr 15, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

41 by elviskocho1023 »»
Mar 24, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 9 Discussion

17 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 8 Discussion

19 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 2:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.