How would you rate this Anime?
Mar 19, 2010 10:14 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Hunter x Hunter OVA

MAL Anime Information Page: Hunter x Hunter OVA

MAL Score – 8.46 (by 7801 users)
Ranked - #92
Popularity - #460

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

*Due to voting rule changes, this series is shot down from its first poll data. It is now available as a resurrection option.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Hunter x Hunter OVA was inducted into the club Anime list:
17 Yes - 73.9%
6 No - 26.1%

62 Don't Know - 72.9% of the total number polled
Dark-EvolutionNov 4, 2010 3:09 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 19, 2010 3:17 PM

Aug 2008
I voted mistakenly because only "Spotlight Anime: Hunter x Hunter ..." was shown in the Firefox tab listing. I would've voted 8 (in place of 8.5), which would be 11 for most people, or likely 9.5-10 for this group.

Hunter x Hunter OVA is just more of the excellence Hunter x Hunter offered. It also does finish Kurapika's arc from HxH and develops him. *pokes ladyxzeus* X3

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Mar 19, 2010 3:53 PM

Dec 2007
But I'm tired of Kurapica, he wears too many clothes. (but I'll watch it. This weekend will be crazy just because of anime, I should really change my priorities around....)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 19, 2010 8:22 PM

Jul 2008
It contains fillers = instantly disqualified in my book.

Very simple.
Mar 20, 2010 11:16 AM

Aug 2008
What fillers? Also, why are fillers automatically bad? That seems arbitrary... I guess we should uninduct FMA, then. ;p

Mar 20, 2010 6:47 PM

Jul 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
What fillers? Also, why are fillers automatically bad? That seems arbitrary... I guess we should uninduct FMA, then. ;p

If it was up to me; yes. Yes it should. FMA sucks balls.
The first season was ok, and then it went downhill.
During season 2 it became one of the worst series I've ever seen, and the ending... My God, the ending, and the following movie Conquerers of Your Mother's ass, was one of the most boring and pointless things ever.

Fillers are the equivalent of a person taking the authors work. wiping his ass with it and then taking a piss on it for good measure.
It's the greatest insult a writer can experience, having some talentless hack coming in and adding crap to the story.

Let's take some of Hemingway's works and have Carlos Mencia write some extra scenes and some extended dialog.
I know, let's give the fisherman in the old man and the sea a wise-cracking leprechaun sidekick!

Oh, and let's completely rewrite the end! Turns out, he was on mars all along, derp!

Fillers is the spawn of the devil, and the only thing I hate as much as I hate fillers are people who enjoy fillers.
Mar 20, 2010 6:50 PM

Dec 2007
wat

I never read the manga and will probably never read it, so could care less about fillers. People should start taking anime as a DIFFERENT MEDIA that may or not may deviate from an inspirational source.
Mar 20, 2010 7:16 PM

Aug 2008
What fillers are you talking about? I don't remember anything in Hunter x Hunter OVA being a filler.

That aside, I'm not sure your rage will convince anyone who isn't already irrational, and even then they may want to know how it applies to this anime title.

Mar 20, 2010 8:24 PM

Jul 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
What fillers are you talking about? I don't remember anything in Hunter x Hunter OVA being a filler.

That aside, I'm not sure your rage will convince anyone who isn't already irrational, and even then they may want to know how it applies to this anime title.

Oh yeah that's right, I wrote in the wrong thread lol.
It's the original series that have fillers.
Mar 21, 2010 12:27 AM

Aug 2008
^~^

Well, I made the same error and mistakenly voted incorrectly because of it, too.

Mar 21, 2010 10:39 AM

Dec 2007
By the middle of it I'm not especially amazed, it's just the same as the main series. A bit more dark... It's just a continuation. Will probably be no.

It's quite inspirational, though, I'm getting more fanart as I write this message.
Mar 21, 2010 12:24 PM

Aug 2008
But you said the series was basically perfect, so why is a continuation of that bad? ;p

Mar 21, 2010 1:54 PM

Dec 2007
Remember the part of "there is something there that unables me to vote yes for it"?

It continues here.

This is why I abstained on the re-vote now. I don't think it would be fair to the series to vote No for it just based off a seventh sense, and I totally don't mind if it stays in. But I like to keep consistent with the seventh sense too. A yes or no from the OVA will depend on two very simple factors, as long as they exist at the same time (not on the same moment, but they must both exist): it makes me cry (I doubt it will ever happen...) and fanservice (this is pretty much covered by the existance of the majority of characters)
Mar 21, 2010 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm, fanservice.

How many anime have made you cry?

Mar 21, 2010 3:24 PM

Dec 2007
All my 10s, most 9s and 8s and a lot through everything else.

And just a bit more intensity at the ending of this one could have done the trick. It also did not have any of the amazing action scenes of the main series.

Meh, I am disappoint.
Mar 21, 2010 11:34 PM

Aug 2008
:O

I wish I could cry that much!

Mar 23, 2010 8:59 AM

Dec 2007
And another little thing...

Kurapica's "arc" was not closed. A stupid ammount of Spiders was left alive and he did not rescue the eyes of his deceased friends. So, a whole 8 episodes to take away the boss, who was not really relevant, and a member that had cute feelings. And everything is the same, on terms of characters now.

Unless that woman actually sent the memory of her feelings concerning friendship that she learned through Gon and Killua to her mates, thus dying in a most beautiful way. But we still don't know if the rest of the gang accepted her idea as right or rejected it.
Mar 23, 2010 1:04 PM

Aug 2008
Kurapika not being able to defeat the entire Genei Ryodan in one effort is only realistic, though. Also, everything isn't the same, not only including the deaths. Kurapika realized that his highest priority wasn't revenge.

She did send her memories to her six Ryodan comrades. You'll see what happens. These eight episodes still matter! If they didn't exist it would really hurt the progression of the story. :o

Mar 23, 2010 3:32 PM

Dec 2007
So, this is just a transition arc.

Why should we have a transition arc in the clubs relations again?
Mar 23, 2010 4:40 PM

Apr 2009
It's not so much that we should vote for a transition arc; it's just that Hunter x Hunter and Hunter x Hunter OVA are considered different anime on MAL, while I consider them as one in my mind (along with the other two OVA's), because it's essentially the same story (I also consider Master Keaton and Master Keaton OVA the same).

Since there is no option to induct the whole franchise, we are left with the only option to induct these anime separately.

It would be a different story, though, if there was a significant drop in quality (like in Naruto and Naruto Shippudden), but the quality was consistent, in my opinion.
Mar 23, 2010 4:49 PM

Aug 2008
Yes, basically it's just that it's an arbitrary division. It would be strange to not want this OVA to not exist if you wanted the series to exist (and 84% of those who saw much of the series found it very worthy of existence), and this OVA is worthy of induction to me.

Mar 24, 2010 11:58 PM

Oct 2007
loved hxh, soooo i'll take this as a yes (:

though i did enjoy main series more. too much kurapica is a tad overwhelming. he's too angsty.
Mar 28, 2010 7:57 AM

Jul 2008
Bah, only fans of the original series would bother watching this and thus the induction will be totally biased as it's existence only caters to fans.

Fans are in no position to judge the quality of a series, and this can't be recommended to anyone other than said fans, and therefor this isn't some kind of exquisite entry that can be recommended to anyone who's looking for something of great quality.
Mar 28, 2010 4:56 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, sequel boosting is unfortunate, but Aria the Origination is already inducted, so it's not like this being inducted as well would be a new kind of unfairness here.

Sep 24, 2010 4:29 PM

Sep 2007
I figured I'd just make note of my objections here since it's usually nice to see some reasoning rather than spontaneous generation of no votes in a poll.

I'm voting no on this because I'm against including sequels in the relations when the first season is already permanently inducted to relations. I think in that case, it should be implied that we are recommending the work as a whole.

I'm for including a sequel in relations when the first season was rejected because in that case we are specifying a particular season rather than spelling out something that should already be implied.

Though additionally, in the case of the HxH ova, if the first season wasn't already permaducted, I would probably vote no since I feel it is a weak part of the story and I was very let down. Fortunately the Greed Island ovas returned to form, but I will vote no on those if they arise as per my previous reasoning.
Sep 25, 2010 7:17 PM

Aug 2008
Well, it seems like many voters already haven't cared whether the first season was inducted for various other inductions. Nothing implies that a first season in the relations list represents the entire franchise, either, especially given that the links go to the specific season, which is highly likely what people voted on in the first place. I'm just describing what is the likely most common perception on this. ;p

Sep 25, 2010 7:26 PM

Sep 2007
I think it's worth specifying that inducting the first season of something and implying a recommendation for the work as a whole means that particular storyline (assuming the sequel is a continuation).

For something like Ghost in the Shell which has various movies and such not sharing the same timeline, inducting 1st season of Standalone Complex would imply that 2nd GIG is worth seeing as well, but wouldn't imply anything for the films.

Though personally, I'm against any direct sequels being in relations. But it's a bit difficult to draw a definitive line since following a show chronologically doesn't necessarily mean seeing the earlier work is necessary. Kind of like how the UC Gundams share a timeline, but many are watched standalone and with no prior knowledge needed.
Sep 25, 2010 7:39 PM

Aug 2008
Obviously it's not like that (or at least that's not important) to most people, or other inductions here would not have occurred. I just don't view it as a standard to aim for in any case here, given that others generally don't bother either. If I must endure some inductions then it's only fair that I treat what I favor the same way. Basically, it's not a rule or the most common standard here, so I have to fairly look out for myself, given that others aren't looking out for me at all. ;p

Sep 25, 2010 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
AfterGlow said:
Bah, only fans of the original series would bother watching this and thus the induction will be totally biased as it's existence only caters to fans.

Fans are in no position to judge the quality of a series, and this can't be recommended to anyone other than said fans, and therefor this isn't some kind of exquisite entry tha.

so a fan of something cant judge the seris there fans of?
Sep 26, 2010 6:15 AM

Sep 2007
It is like that to a number of people as I'm not alone in wanting sequels off of our induction lists. I forget what method we used to reach a decision to allow it back in the day since it's been a couple years. It's something low on the priority list anyway so nothing has been done about it.

But yes, everyone should simply vote according to their personal compass in the meantime. It is much easier to combine a couple inductions than it is to somehow know what inductions could have been had people nominated them.

@Captain
AG is saying that sequel polls are usually filled with more bias since the people who voted no and/or didn't like the first season likely won't bother watching the 2nd season.

Because of this, the show's fanbase can just keep nominating the next season and the next until finally there aren't enough 'no' voters willing to watch the show and the 2nd or 3rd season just gets powered through by this extremely loyal fanbase. This is pretty much what happened with Aria the Origination imo.
Sep 26, 2010 6:34 AM

Jul 2008
Captain-Z said:
AfterGlow said:

Fans are in no position to judge the quality of a series, and this can't be recommended to anyone other than said fans, and therefor this isn't some kind of exquisite entry tha.

so a fan of something cant judge the seris there fans of?

Unless you loved the original series, the ova won't give you any enjoyment whatsoever, because it's poorly made as well as boring, plain and simple.

BlackMagic explained it well.
Sep 26, 2010 6:45 AM

Jul 2010
I finished it last night as someone who hadn't seen the original.
I have to say that's pretty damn accurate.
So my vote went to a no.
Oct 3, 2010 8:57 PM

Aug 2008
In other words, you watched it out of context so you could have an opinion. ;p

The rating defies the idea that only lovers will enjoy it at all. It's not like HxH has FMAB's rating...

BlackMagic, okay. And yeah, Aria the Origination. Oh well. ;p

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.