Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2017 4:41 AM

Jul 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Creators of this anime must have a lot of fun making this episode.
It was so random and at the same time highly entertaining :-)

Why older, really good anime are so short?
May 4, 2018 1:28 AM
Jun 2017
Just finished the show. I gotta say, there's almost certainly a deeper message behind the show, but I can't say it's deep the way evangelion is. In evangelion, you can extract meaning from the more "arthouse" parts because there's a lot of context which is given by the characters. I really don't think the characters here were suited to telling the message the author intended. Or if he even intended to say half of what I think he might be saying. I dunno. Certainly, it's a commentary on how idealisms affect the way we live, but I don't know exactly what it's saying.
Nov 1, 2018 9:27 PM

Dec 2015
Basic start with some interesting developments. Promising 3rd OAV. I would love to read the manga despite the drawings.

Enjoyment:5/5
Score: 6/10
Nov 10, 2019 7:50 PM

Aug 2015
This was really great, very enjoyable.

Ep 3 was a very fine piece of science fiction. This was a very well done dream episode, ending in a state in which it is uncertain whether the dream has ended. We do have the stereotypical robot story in which Marie asks through the dream if she is more than a machine and is allowed to love, a fundamental human right. We might question whether societies view all women as machines- for example, when drafting the One Child Policy the CCP insisted that women's fertility was a quality that could turned on and off.

I feel like I would be called onto the carpet for suggesting My Dear Marie is the equal of Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, but I feel that I enjoyed them both equally for what it is worth. This episode makes allusion to Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but I was also reminded a bit of Mr. Data's search for meaning in dreams in a fabulous episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

I thought the incorporation of the sexual predator Tanaka in episode 1 and again here was really well done, since it realistically depicted the way these men are not punished and are 'respectable'; I felt the way the character was used expressed a truth of reality; ultimately the story moves from Marie being an artificial Cyrano de Bergerac to trying to move outside the boundaries of the fictitious brother-sister relationship. I wonder if the frank depiction of impropriety, eg. Tanaka the male predator, Hibiki's attempted rape (female on male date rape to be precise), and Karigari's siscon tones in ruffled any feathers back in the 1990s when this was brought to the US.

I wish there was more of this.
Mar 20, 2020 3:36 PM

Nov 2016
It was fine I guess, but now I have another manga for my PTR list.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 17, 2021 11:38 AM

Feb 2021
mozgow said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Creators of this anime must have a lot of fun making this episode.
It was so random and at the same time highly entertaining :-)

Why older, really good anime are so short?

Who knows? It was good and deserved to continue.

_Comprehend_ said:
Just finished the show. I gotta say, there's almost certainly a deeper message behind the show, but I can't say it's deep the way evangelion is. In evangelion, you can extract meaning from the more "arthouse" parts because there's a lot of context which is given by the characters. I really don't think the characters here were suited to telling the message the author intended. Or if he even intended to say half of what I think he might be saying. I dunno. Certainly, it's a commentary on how idealisms affect the way we live, but I don't know exactly what it's saying.

It is extremely deep, it references an old tale about androids. Comparing it to Eva doesn't really do much justice.

glassknuckles said:
This was really great, very enjoyable.

Ep 3 was a very fine piece of science fiction. This was a very well done dream episode, ending in a state in which it is uncertain whether the dream has ended. We do have the stereotypical robot story in which Marie asks through the dream if she is more than a machine and is allowed to love, a fundamental human right. We might question whether societies view all women as machines- for example, when drafting the One Child Policy the CCP insisted that women's fertility was a quality that could turned on and off.

I feel like I would be called onto the carpet for suggesting My Dear Marie is the equal of Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, but I feel that I enjoyed them both equally for what it is worth. This episode makes allusion to Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but I was also reminded a bit of Mr. Data's search for meaning in dreams in a fabulous episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

I thought the incorporation of the sexual predator Tanaka in episode 1 and again here was really well done, since it realistically depicted the way these men are not punished and are 'respectable'; I felt the way the character was used expressed a truth of reality; ultimately the story moves from Marie being an artificial Cyrano de Bergerac to trying to move outside the boundaries of the fictitious brother-sister relationship. I wonder if the frank depiction of impropriety, eg. Tanaka the male predator, Hibiki's attempted rape (female on male date rape to be precise), and Karigari's siscon tones in ruffled any feathers back in the 1990s when this was brought to the US.

I wish there was more of this.

The only sensible analysis in all the internet.
May 24, 2021 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
This was a really creative episode and it had a lot of cool ideas and creative ways of portraying dreams. Robo-Marie's dream near the end was honestly the best part of the show, and made it all worth watching alone.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Marie Episode 2 Discussion

mozgow - Oct 1, 2017

3 by E_Creator »»
Jan 27, 2023 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boku no Marie Episode 1 Discussion

mozgow - Oct 1, 2017

1 by glassknuckles »»
Nov 10, 2019 7:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.