Forum Settings
Forums

One Piece Manga vol.57 Establishes New Japan Record of First Printing

New
Mar 2, 2010 5:08 PM

Feb 2008
According to Mainichi news, the first printing of the volume 57 of One Piece manga were three million copies and it broke the Japanese record of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (2.9 million copies in 2004). The total number of the printings of the whole series are 185.6 million copies.

Source: Mainichi
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 2, 2010 5:19 PM

Feb 2008
Dayum. Impressive.
[fancy signature here]
Mar 2, 2010 5:21 PM

Oct 2007
It's expected considering the current arcs, and prelude story of Strong World
Mar 2, 2010 5:24 PM

Nov 2009
That's a lot of paper.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Mar 2, 2010 5:24 PM

Nov 2009
Hell yeah! One piece beat Harry Potter!
Now this needs to happen in Canada :P
Mar 2, 2010 5:25 PM

Jan 2009
teanut said:
That's a lot of paper.

sure is. good things those guys were back on track again
Mar 2, 2010 5:28 PM

May 2007
The one thing that always amazes me about One Piece is that despite how long its been running, the plot is still so interesting and keeps people hooked that the series constantly keeps breaking records such as these.
Mar 2, 2010 5:30 PM
Mar 2009
One Piece becomes an even bigger monster the more time goes by. It has been a pleasure to see the series become so big without suffering the set backs that tend to plague other series.
Mar 2, 2010 5:30 PM

Nov 2008
FUCK YEAH WELCOME TO OUR WOLD HARRY POTTER AND U DIDN'T EVEN SEE ANYTHING YET CAUSE WE R JUST GETTING STARTED . ALL HAILL ONE PIECE
Mar 2, 2010 5:40 PM

Jul 2009
Lololol fangirls are beaten by fanboys. Hooray?
Mar 2, 2010 6:10 PM

Jul 2008
Wow, that's pretty impressive.

BEGINNER
Mar 2, 2010 6:11 PM
Aug 2007
That's awesome ♥
Mar 2, 2010 6:28 PM
Apr 2009
vindemon64 said:
The one thing that always amazes me about One Piece is that despite how long its been running, the plot is still so interesting and keeps people hooked that the series constantly keeps breaking records such as these.

nicely said!!!
and i agree with every word!
Mar 2, 2010 6:54 PM
Jan 2009
dang dang dang dang one piece seriously show people who critizes it. best manga/ anime 4eva <3
Mar 2, 2010 7:14 PM

Apr 2008
snobannicxD said:
vindemon64 said:

nicely said!!!
and i agree with every word!

Same here. Impressive.
Mar 2, 2010 7:16 PM

Aug 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOO I LIEK HARRY POTTER

lol yeah. One piece is the legend.
Mar 2, 2010 7:17 PM

Apr 2007
Wow....that's really an accomplishment. :D

Current Avatar: Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke
Mar 2, 2010 8:11 PM

Jul 2009
It's nothing to be surprised. This is One Piece we are talking about :D
This is a signature.
Mar 2, 2010 9:41 PM

Jul 2008
Expected from One Piece considering the current arc. All the same it's great to see this happening to One Piece! :D

Mar 2, 2010 10:27 PM

May 2007
Why did Order of the Phoenix out-print Deathly Hollows? That is the real question here.
My anime list
Mar 2, 2010 10:44 PM

Aug 2007
hahahaha. fucking awesome. :)
Mar 3, 2010 12:55 AM
Nov 2008
Suck it Potter! :D
Mar 3, 2010 3:04 AM

May 2009
Great stuff! Can't be blamed since the current events form the precursor to how One Piece will continue and eventually end!
Mar 3, 2010 5:09 AM

Oct 2008
mitamaking said:
Why did Order of the Phoenix out-print Deathly Hollows? That is the real question here.

The last two books are a disappointment tbh. Rowling should had stopped after 5. Damn her for killing off my favourite character. *shakes fist*

But yay, go One Piece. Speaking of which, I should really catch up to the manga.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 3, 2010 5:27 AM

Aug 2009
vindemon64 said:

This. :D

If only One Piece wasn't butchered by 4kids, it could have been popular in America as well... ugh, just thinking about it makes me sad. :(
Mar 3, 2010 5:53 AM

Mar 2009
vindemon64 said:

Yeah! I agree. There's always something new and exciting and Oda plans his manga well. There are people who are too lazy to read OP cause they think it's too much to catch up with. Ah well... they're missing out on a lot!
Mar 3, 2010 5:58 AM

Jul 2009
Aishia said:
vindemon64 said:

This. :D

If only One Piece wasn't butchered by 4kids, it could have been popular in America as well... ugh, just thinking about it makes me sad. :(

Yeah, the VERY reason why Naruto is more liked than one piece in the US. Damn 4kids -__-
This is a signature.
Mar 3, 2010 7:15 AM

Jan 2009
Good accomplishment and no wonder when this vol. is so much expected considering the plot, I myself can't wait =)))
Oh, and also, Harry Potter?!?....Nigga, please =D
dechoMar 3, 2010 7:19 AM

Join My Club Shigurui - Death Frenzy (Still in construction)
Mar 3, 2010 9:08 AM

Aug 2007
hahaha yes nigga yes
Mar 3, 2010 9:49 AM
Feb 2009
Sigh... I seriously can't see what is so good about One Piece. I dropped the manga two years ago but decided to catch up few months ago just because everyone was saying how awesome were latest chapters. What a waste of time.
Mar 3, 2010 11:01 AM

May 2008
Jure said:
Sigh... I seriously can't see what is so good about One Piece. I dropped the manga two years ago but decided to catch up few months ago just because everyone was saying how awesome were latest chapters. What a waste of time.

It seems you just can't enjoy a masterpiece...

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Mar 3, 2010 11:14 AM

Feb 2009
Go One Piece. This just proves it doesn't matter how long a story is as long as it's good it will sell massively.
Mar 3, 2010 11:14 AM

Dec 2006
The only this is selling more than usual is because someone finally biting the dust and its not a flashback, and its awesome.

Mar 3, 2010 11:34 AM

Apr 2009
loli_slayer said:
is because someone finally biting the dust and its not a flashback, and its awesome.

nah) its because of the Whitebeard)

anyway next volumes will make another records for sure..
especially the last chapters...
Mar 3, 2010 11:36 AM

Apr 2009
dtshyk said:
According to Mainichi news, the first printing of the volume 57 of One Piece manga were three million copies and it broke the Japanese record of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (2.9 million copies in 2004). The total number of the printings of the whole series are 185.6 million copies.

3 million or 300 million ? ))
edit please)
Mar 3, 2010 1:25 PM
Jun 2007
Jure said:

maybe you don't like shounen
Mar 3, 2010 2:03 PM
Feb 2009
slippy said:
Jure said:

Nope, that is certainly not the case. I just can't really see what exactly is so good about One Piece. I understand that long-running shounens usually have a horde of fans, but 3 million copies in first printing... that's just too much.

gomu_ninguen said:
Jure said:

Oh, I do know how to enjoy a masterpiece. It's just that One Piece isn't one.
Mar 3, 2010 2:26 PM

Nov 2008
Jure said:
slippy said:
Jure said:

Nope, that is certainly not the case. I just can't really see what exactly is so good about One Piece. I understand that long-running shounens usually have a horde of fans, but 3 million copies in first printing... that's just too much.

gomu_ninguen said:
Jure said:

u got some nerves son saying one piece is not a masterpiece don't u see the statistics before ur eyes
Mar 3, 2010 2:39 PM
Jun 2007
Jure said:
slippy said:
Jure said:

gomu_ninguen said:
Jure said:

would you mind telling me some shounen manga you do like? so i can try to understand why you like them and not one piece
Mar 3, 2010 2:42 PM

Apr 2009
^ok stop the offtop seriously o_O
we got that.
Mar 3, 2010 3:00 PM

Oct 2009
smokes said:
edit please)
There isn't even 300 million people in Japan (the population is around 125 million). It's unheard of for a first printing to be near 3 million, which is why this is a big deal.
-Celestial-Mar 3, 2010 3:05 PM
Mar 3, 2010 3:07 PM
Feb 2009
rolddy said:
u got some nerves son saying one piece is not a masterpiece don't u see the statistics before ur eyes
I see the statistic, but being popular doesn't necessary mean it's a masterpiece.

slippy said:
would you mind telling me some shounen manga you do like? so i can try to understand why you like them and not one piece
Uh... my list is public and anyone can see it.

Sorry for going off topic.
Mar 3, 2010 3:18 PM

Nov 2008
Jure said:
rolddy said:
I see the statistic, but being popular doesn't necessary mean it's a masterpiece.

slippy said:
Uh... my list is public and anyone can see it.

Sorry for going off topic.

ah man that's no good u know u gotta recognize a masterpiece when u see one
Mar 3, 2010 3:22 PM

Feb 2010
One Piece will rule the world.
Anyone dude that?
Mar 3, 2010 3:27 PM

Nov 2008
Acrata said:
Anyone dude that?

u better believe it son
Mar 4, 2010 3:54 AM

Jul 2009
Acrata said:
Anyone dude that?

For one thing, One Piece should have already ruled the world, if it wasn't for the 4kids dub -__-
This is a signature.
Mar 4, 2010 7:00 AM

Apr 2009
ShadowVari said:
smokes said:
edit please)
There isn't even 300 million people in Japan (the population is around 125 million). It's unheard of for a first printing to be near 3 million, which is why this is a big deal.

ah sorry, its just on the cover its written 300 with a 万, which means 10,000
so 300 per 10000 means 3 million xD

my bad
Mar 4, 2010 8:49 AM

Apr 2009
Congrats One Piece!!!
Mar 4, 2010 10:01 AM
Feb 2009
Zuminori said:
@Jure: You rate it with a 3 but still read more than 500+ chapters...
Found the mistake?
I already said I dropped it a while ago but decided to catch up because everyone was saying that latest chapters are epic. I will drop the manga again when current arc ends (which will be soon I guess).
Sep 26, 2011 9:20 PM

Apr 2011
Jure said:
Zuminori said:
@Jure: You rate it with a 3 but still read more than 500+ chapters...
Found the mistake?
I already said I dropped it a while ago but decided to catch up because everyone was saying that latest chapters are epic. I will drop the manga again when current arc ends (which will be soon I guess).

it seems you like manga's that are more seinen or involve more complicated plots... Not into comedy? or comedy adventure maybe...

and btw- people have told me to read bleach- i tried- and i only was able to read 250 chapters. I couldnt go even one chapter further- no matter how much people prodded me. I rated it a 7 at the end, because i was able to read that much- and it wasnt bad- i just didnt like it. That doesnt mean it was bad- just that it wasnt my cup of tea. If you were able to read over 500 chapters (with or without prodding and people telling you to read it), then i think it deserves more then a 3. If you were able to catch up then it deserves at least a 5. Anything below a 5 is something that you couldnt click next chapter no matter how much people told you too.

anyway- OP is awesome and i really do hope it goes on forever (or well- i wanna see the ending before i die but im 15 so i got plenty of time - and it better end before i die but not for a hellova long time :P)
Even if the story can get a little repetitive, as the characters grow, the entire arc changes to fit the new and evolved characters. It makes it interesting nonetheless :D
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 50 minutes ago

2 by yamiyugi101 »»
7 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
48 minutes ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
5 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.