Forum Settings
Forums

Older anime had more Episodes/Seasons and Complete adaptations.

New
Dec 23, 2016 11:08 PM

Dec 2012
At best today we get 12/24 episodes and 2 or 3 seasons ... And tons of Idol anime seasons

Earlier anime had more complete adaptations :- Dragon Ball , LOGH , Space battleship Yamato , Fist of the North Star , Law of Ueki , Flame of Recca , Saiyuki (Not complete but had 4 seasons) , Inuyasha .. I can keep going on... Mostly anime in 90's and Early 2000's ...

Has the industry turned its motive towards earning more profit? Because anime is way more popular than it was before ... Attack on Titan despite its popuplarity is getting only a season 2 after like 3-4 years...
KazuroWeisemannDec 25, 2016 1:27 AM

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 23, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2010
I recall this being addressed by Answerman, but from what I understand, the risk of investing in a long-running series is reserved to only the biggest names that are guaranteed to bring in the numbers nowadays. It's much safer to test the waters with a short series, see if it's a potential success, then proceed from there.
Dec 23, 2016 11:13 PM

Jun 2012
Great observation. Really outstanding stuff.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 23, 2016 11:17 PM

Dec 2012
Shocked said:
I recall this being addressed by Answerman, but from what I understand, the risk of investing in a long-running series is reserved to only the biggest names that are guaranteed to bring in the numbers nowadays. It's much safer to test the waters with a short series, see if it's a potential success, then proceed from there.

So basically its profit making and planned investment after all? They just shifted to being Market-Oriented rather than producing more? Seeing it from their point of view it seems great but for us that means lesser anime...

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Dec 23, 2016 11:19 PM
Mar 2011
stuods are just pazy theee days over all
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 23, 2016 11:24 PM

Jan 2010
kazuro said:
Shocked said:

So basically its profit making and planned investment after all? They just shifted to being Market-Oriented rather than producing more? Seeing it from their point of view it seems great but for us that means lesser anime...

To be fair, we get a large number of titles nowadays compared to the past. Granted, they're significantly shorter, but the benefits of this is the ability to at least see a good breadth of titles, which then diverge into their source materials if you wish to become further invested into a specific series. It sucks that we can't see everything fully animated, but, well, ya win some, ya lose some.
Dec 23, 2016 11:27 PM

Oct 2014
This is a common observation. As anime becomes more common and there is more competition big anime studios can't just stick with a single long runner for the whole year expecting everyone to watch it because there are so many other anime airing that year to spread out the viewers' attention. People likely won't keep watching an anime they only moderately like that they found out would air for a whole year so it would be more financially beneficial for the studio to air four anime that year, one cour each, that each could potentially attract as many or even more viewers than a four cour could and collectively they will make more money since they aren't relying on viewers loyally watching for a full 52 episodes. It's not like long runners don't exist anymore, but they really need to be confident that it's a good idea before making one.
Dec 23, 2016 11:28 PM
Mar 2011
Shocked said:
kazuro said:

To be fair, we get a large number of titles nowadays compared to the past. Granted, they're significantly shorter, but the benefits of this is the ability to at least see a good breadth of titles, which then diverge into their source materials if you wish to become further invested into a specific series. It sucks that we can't see everything fully animated, but, well, ya win some, ya lose some.

im not ok with this since most studios still compess h efuck outof things or feel the need t change things to do a shorter show its wrong

tits becoec an apdataion in name only ala us comic book movies style

zombie_pegasus said:
This is a common observation. As anime becomes more common and there is more competition big anime studios can't just stick with a single long runner for the whole year expecting everyone to watch it because there are so many other anime airing that year to spread out the viewers' attention. People likely won't keep watching an anime they only moderately like that they found out would air for a whole year so it would be more financially beneficial for the studio to air four anime that year, one cour each, that each could potentially attract as many or even more viewers than a four cour could and collectively they will make more money since they aren't relying on viewers loyally watching for a full 52 episodes. It's not like long runners don't exist anymore, but they really need to be confident that it's a good idea before making one.

look at tv ratings whay wins most weeks long runners do

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedDec 23, 2016 11:32 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Dec 23, 2016 11:31 PM

Jan 2010
DateYutaka said:
Shocked said:

im not ok with this since most studios still compess h efuck outof things or feel the need t change things to do a shorter show its wrong

tits becoec an apdataion in name only ala us comic book movies style

That's definitely true. We do get the short version of titles that are at times rushed with cut corners. An adaptation should try to fix problems of the original source material, otherwise you're better off just looking at the source, making the adaptation somewhat pointless.
Dec 23, 2016 11:33 PM

Oct 2014
DateYutaka said:
zombie_pegasus said:

New long runners, though? How is Sousei no Onmyouji doing in Japan? Is it top of the chars or it is barely scraping by? It doesn't seem too well loved in the West.
Dec 23, 2016 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
@kazuro Im thinking of shows that have been completed but I realised you never set a date of what isn't old
is anything before 2010 old in this case?
or where do we draw the line?
Dec 23, 2016 11:39 PM

Dec 2012
Deknijff said:
@kazuro Im thinking of shows that have been completed but I realised you never set a date of what isn't old

Basically around and after 2006 , or to be safe around 2009 ... That is when 90% of the shows that came out were 12 eps and 24 eps ... It can be clearly seen in the seasonal charts ... If you put it together..

Dec 23, 2016 11:43 PM
Mar 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
DateYutaka said:

New long runners, though? How is Sousei no Onmyouji doing in Japan? Is it top of the chars or it is barely scraping by? It doesn't seem too well loved in the West.

te west hate mainstme anime form what iv seen or the westes views on what moansteme is is wrong

they think if sh seles 200-500k its mainstrem while there ares anime that pull in 7-8 millos viwers still

cause they dont understand how Japanese v rtaings work itsdine by total peracnt of the population

so 8.00 while not as ood as rting in the golden age 8.00 is still good thats arond 8.25 mlioon vewers give or take

Dec 23, 2016 11:43 PM

Jan 2009
i will just leave this quotes here, more info http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

It used to be, back in the 80s when Japan was flush with money, a company would just decide to make a one- or two-part OAV. They'd throw a few hundred thousand dollars at an animation production company, and the production company would haphazardly churn out an OAV. They'd release it on video, a few thousand rental shops across Japan would buy copies, and the show would turn a tidy profit. Or if a longer series seemed possible, the TV networks would pay most of the cost, and support the show with commercials.

Those days are long gone. The collapse of Japan's bubble economy hit the rental market hard, and media companies stopped feeling so adventurous about making direct-to-video content. The TV networks also drastically cut the number of shows they're willing to spend money on, since most anime don't bring in ratings, and it's far cheaper for them to just make another cheap talk show. So, in the early 90s, anime producers faced a challenge: how would they keep getting investment to make new shows?

The answer, it turns out, was to join forces with other companies, and form what's called "Production Committee," or Seisaku Iinkai. The producer meets with other companies that could also benefit from a show being made, and tries to convince them to chip in.
Dec 23, 2016 11:48 PM
Jun 2016
I have no problem with 12/24 episodes
But atleast complete the story

It seems like a long advertisement of manga /novel
As they expect us to read further story by reading manga / novel
Dec 23, 2016 11:50 PM

Dec 2012
j0x said:
i will just leave this quotes here, more info http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

It used to be, back in the 80s when Japan was flush with money, a company would just decide to make a one- or two-part OAV. They'd throw a few hundred thousand dollars at an animation production company, and the production company would haphazardly churn out an OAV. They'd release it on video, a few thousand rental shops across Japan would buy copies, and the show would turn a tidy profit. Or if a longer series seemed possible, the TV networks would pay most of the cost, and support the show with commercials.

Those days are long gone. The collapse of Japan's bubble economy hit the rental market hard, and media companies stopped feeling so adventurous about making direct-to-video content. The TV networks also drastically cut the number of shows they're willing to spend money on, since most anime don't bring in ratings, and it's far cheaper for them to just make another cheap talk show. So, in the early 90s, anime producers faced a challenge: how would they keep getting investment to make new shows?

The answer, it turns out, was to join forces with other companies, and form what's called "Production Committee," or Seisaku Iinkai. The producer meets with other companies that could also benefit from a show being made, and tries to convince them to chip in.

Oh alright ... Makes sense , Though I did not know it was this complex ... That probably explains most of it..

Dec 23, 2016 11:52 PM

Oct 2013
kazuro said:
Deknijff said:
Basically around and after 2006 , or to be safe around 2009 ... That is when 90% of the shows that came out were 12 eps and 24 eps ... It can be clearly seen in the seasonal charts ... If you put it together..
I didn't ask for a amount just age but ok that is most likely true anyway
now when we say complete adaptation we don't count things like Papa Kiki and Haiyore who have their endings animated as OVAs but the stuff in the middle never gets adapted from the source?
Dec 23, 2016 11:55 PM

May 2015
If every 12-episode bath stands on its own, concludes then so what? What's wrong? I don't care about the whole story. I only care if this specific show ends and ends well.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 24, 2016 12:01 AM

Dec 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
If every 12-episode bath stands on its own, concludes then so what? What's wrong? I don't care about the whole story. I only care if this specific show ends and ends well.

There is nothing wrong with it ... But ..

Nobody cares how an average show ends , Therefore it is perfectly ok to not show its ending .. But there are REALLY good shows out there that don't get any sort of ending.. Even if their is Sufficient source material..

People usually tend to care about when a show gets ruined by an original ending preventing any sequel or not ending in the first place..

Dec 24, 2016 12:09 AM

May 2015
kazuro said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Nobody cares how an average show ends , Therefore it is perfectly ok to not show its ending .. But there are REALLY good shows out there that don't get any sort of ending.. Even if their is Sufficient source material..

People usually tend to care about when a show gets ruined by an original ending preventing any sequel or not ending in the first place..

Why do people care so much about source material?

The question we should ask is whether or not the story ends well, not whether a book continues the story.
Dec 24, 2016 12:25 AM

Mar 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
kazuro said:

The question we should ask is whether or not the story ends well, not whether a book continues the story.

When many anime are almost panel-by-panel adaptations of their manga, surely those anime are telling the same "story"

Why do people care about the source material? Because they care about the story, not whether a book continues the story.
Dec 24, 2016 1:02 AM

Oct 2013
@kazuro ok here is a list of shows I know has endings and a few Im assuming really because I never see people asking for a new season that came out after 2009
Of course Im probably not getting everything so anyone feel free to add to the list if you know of a title I didn't include that started 2010 and has ended
Now kazuro could you show me how that compares to the years 1990-1997 and 2000-2005 since you said early 2000's ?
Dec 24, 2016 1:38 AM

Dec 2012
Deknijff said:
@kazuro ok here is a list of shows I know has endings and a few Im assuming really because I never see people asking for a new season that came out after 2009
Of course Im probably not getting everything so anyone feel free to add to the list if you know of a title I didn't include that started 2010 and has ended
Now kazuro could you show me how that compares to the years 1990-1997 and 2000-2005 since you said early 2000's ?

True .. But I don't remember saying that we do not get complete adaptations at all.. But as compared to the number of anime made only a trivial list of anime have reached a conclusive ending..

I can very well give you a much bigger list of completed anime from the past ... Though in the past the number of anime that came out were much much lower than what comes out today ... And the majority of the anime that came out got A good ending or at the very least a sequel...

Simplifying it :-

Today , Lot of anime , No conclusion (And it is also not possible)

Before , Less anime , High amount of completed anime..

Dec 24, 2016 1:40 AM

Jan 2009
i will just add that if you want anime show that have conclusive ending/story then watch original anime more because they are not anime adaptations of any source material like ongoing manga, light novel or even a game

anime adaptations meanwhile will more likely have an open ending because its just one big giant promotion/advertisement to the source material like manga and light novels

anime studios are usually just hired contractors to animate an anime adaptation of a show so anime studios do not fund or are not part of the production committee that funds anime making in most cases, a lot of times i heard manga and light novels publishers are the major fund sources of anime production because as pointed out they want to promote the source material be it the manga or light novel so even if the anime adaptation fails to sell well but the manga has a huge sales boost then you can expect another sequel for the anime
Dec 24, 2016 1:51 AM

Oct 2013
kazuro said:
Deknijff said:
True .. But I don't remember saying that we do not get complete adaptations at all.. But as compared to the number of anime made only a trivial list of anime have reached a conclusive ending..
I can very well give you a much bigger list of completed anime from the past ... Though in the past the number of anime that came out were much much lower than what comes out today ... And the majority of the anime that came out got A good ending or at the very least a sequel...
Simplifying it :-

Today , Lot of anime , No conclusion (And it is also not possible)

Before , Less anime , High amount of completed anime..
Could you give me this list then since I asked for it?
Also make sure to group them per decade since it would be unfair to compare 40+ years against 6 years of current anime
if possible do try to only include the first 6 years of each decade so to be as fair as possible
Dec 24, 2016 2:05 AM

May 2015
Personally I prefer the new way of adapting.

Manga or LN want mainly an anime adaptation in order to boost their sales, if the anime happens after the manga is finished then the boost might not be as profitable, I think they want the boost during the publications.

However if you do as the old adaptations and make a nonsensical original ending like Soul Eater then might as well not make the adaptation at all and it seems that many studios understood it.

The best way to adapt then is partial adaptation with future sequels when there will be enough material. Personally I would like if those sequels were regular like once a year you get a season of that anime so that the wait for an unknown period doesn't kill the fanbase. If I know when it will come out then I am willing to wait.

Attack on titan is getting a second season after 3-4 years? Where's the problem? At least it is getting it and not a butchered ending and even if you got the 2nd season 3 years ago to what end? You still have to wait for the manga to end in like 2 years for the anime to be able to adapt the ending in like other 3-4 years.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2016 2:15 AM

Dec 2012
@Deknijff

Very well ... The following is the list of completed anime from 1990 to 1996, They may be completed or completed through sequels (Forgive me but I am not in a position to give the links and don't have much free time..)

Cowboy Bebop
Romeo no aoi sora
Slam dunk
Rurouni kenshin
Neon genesis evangelion
Trigun
Initial D
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai
Slayers Next
Kodomo no Omacha
Sailor Moon
More than 3 Gundams
Ie Naki no remi
Outlaw Star
Seikai no Monshou
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
More than 2 Dragon Quest anime
Fushigi Yuugi
Yu Gi Oh
Yuusha Keisatsu J-Decker (With 6 alternative settings also completed)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Uchuu no Kishi Tekkaman Blade
Gokinjo Monogatari
Grander Musashi RV

With this I completed 1/4th of the completed anime of 1990-1996 ... For more just confirm it through advanced search ... TBH almost every anime was completed..

I was going to list all of them but there are too many and I got bored partway... Anyways , You get it right?? I did not make this thread without any basis..
KazuroWeisemannDec 24, 2016 2:19 AM

Dec 24, 2016 2:19 AM

Oct 2013
kazuro said:
@Deknijff

Very well ... The following is the list of completed anime from 1990 to 1996, They may be completed or completed through sequels (Forgive me but I am not in a position to give the links)

Cowboy Bebop
Romeo no aoi sora
Slam dunk
Rurouni kenshin
Neon genesis evangelion
Trigun
Initial D
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Slayers Next
Kodomo no Omacha
Sailor Moon
More than 3 Gundams
Ie Naki no remi
Outlaw Star
Seikai no Monshou
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
Yu Gi Oh
Magic Knight Rayearth
Gokinjo Monogatari
Grander Musashi RV

With this I completed 1/4th of the completed anime of 1990-1996 ... For more just refer :-

https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=1990&em=0&ed=0&ey=2000&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=f&gx=0&o=3&w=1

I was going to list all of them but there are too many and I got bored partway... Anyways , You get it right?? I did not make this thread without any basis..
Well thank you for showing the facts then
sorry I was so on you but I wanted to make sure you weren't just saying a bunch of assumptions
Dec 24, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2016
kazuro said:
@Deknijff

Very well ... The following is the list of completed anime from 1990 to 1996, They may be completed or completed through sequels (Forgive me but I am not in a position to give the links and don't have much free time..)

Cowboy Bebop
Romeo no aoi sora
Slam dunk
Rurouni kenshin
Neon genesis evangelion
Trigun
Initial D
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Slayers Next
Kodomo no Omacha
Sailor Moon
More than 3 Gundams
Ie Naki no remi
Outlaw Star
Seikai no Monshou
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
Yu Gi Oh
Magic Knight Rayearth
Gokinjo Monogatari
Grander Musashi RV

With this I completed 1/4th of the completed anime of 1990-1996 ... For more just confirm it through advanced search ... TBH almost every anime was completed..

There are original anime in there, Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin are not complete adaptation. Trigun is pretty much an original anime.
Dec 24, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2012
Johnnyd3rp said:
kazuro said:
@Deknijff

Cowboy Bebop
Romeo no aoi sora
Slam dunk
Rurouni kenshin
Neon genesis evangelion
Trigun
Initial D
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Slayers Next
Kodomo no Omacha
Sailor Moon
More than 3 Gundams
Ie Naki no remi
Outlaw Star
Seikai no Monshou
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
Yu Gi Oh
Magic Knight Rayearth
Gokinjo Monogatari
Grander Musashi RV

There are original anime in there, Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin are not complete adaptation. Trigun is pretty much an original anime.

I have watched Rurouni kenshin ... Its complete , I thought Slam Dunk was complete , one guy was saying it ...

Also Original anime = Complete anime ... They have a conclusive ending..

Dec 24, 2016 2:50 AM

Apr 2016
Shocked said:
kazuro said:

i have heard that being an animator is a low-paying job in japan that they wouldn't want to risk investing in a long-running animes that possibly won't be successful. if just 12 episodes in a season gets a good response, then they will make more, like how natsume yuujinchou gets the sixth season (technically it's a long running anime). the system could come off as douche-baggy as stingy , but to me it's a pretty smart career choice.
Dec 24, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2016
kazuro said:
Johnnyd3rp said:

I have watched Rurouni kenshin ... Its complete , I thought Slam Dunk was complete , one guy was saying it ...

Then you have to make a distinction between complete adaptation and adaptation with an original ending.

The ones you mentioned in the op don't have an original ending (beside Soul Eater), i tought that it was a rant about the lack of complete adaptation and not something like FMA 2003.
Dec 24, 2016 2:59 AM
Mar 2016
soul eater does not have complete adaptation
Dec 24, 2016 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
Johnnyd3rp said:
kazuro said:

Then you have to make a distinction between complete adaptation and adaptation with an original ending.

The ones you mentioned in the op don't have an original ending (beside Soul Eater), i tought that it was a rant about the lack of complete adaptation and not something like FMA 2003.

Its about how the anime that come out are incomplete ... They lack endings and sometimes are even planned in such a way to not have a sequel and be just money grabs... Also that they are of less episodes ...

Dec 24, 2016 4:17 AM

Oct 2013
Another factor to consider is that the cost of making anime has significantly risen over the years, while the potential returns haven't really kept up with the increasing costs.

It would be a different story if anime is mainstream and commercialised globally like video games. However, as it is Japan still remains vastly more important than the rest of the world combined for anime makers and publishers, simply because people outside Japan pay very very little (if any at all) for the content compared to the audience in Japan.

It really isn't a sustainable model for something that's actually fairly popular around the world.
Dec 24, 2016 6:41 AM

May 2015
All I want is satisfying endings. It doesn't have to be a complete adaptation if it ends at the right place in it's story to be considered finished even if there's more room for a story. Hunter x Hunter did this; it ended at the perfect time for it to be a satisfying conclusion to the story even if you already know there's more manga chapters coming out.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 24, 2016 6:43 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Not complaining, more anime means more titles, meaning more chances for harem, ecchi, and moe variety
Dec 24, 2016 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
EcchiLordMamster said:
Not complaining, more anime means more titles, meaning more chances for harem, ecchi, and moe variety

Don't forget more Fujo-bait , Yaoi , And Borderline Yaoi ...

And more Gayness

Dec 24, 2016 7:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kazuro said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Don't forget more Fujo-bait , Yaoi , And Borderline Yaoi ...

And more Gayness

Yea..guess I have to include those xD
Dec 24, 2016 9:41 AM

Jun 2007
As is often the case, there's a lot of nostalgia-goggle effect when it comes to 90s and now early-00s anime going on. There were tons of short OVA series back then that got abruptly cancelled or just ended without any true conclusion, like Elf Princess Rane, Shineseman, Dragon Half, or Battle Angel. The same goes for some early-00s OVAs that felt like relics of the 90s, like Guardian Hearts and Cosplay Complex. Even 90s TV series don't have a sterling record of completeness, including some listed by the OP in a later post.

Rurouni Kenshin - landed in filler hell and got cancelled.
Kodocha - had a ton of filler in the 2nd half and basically petered out.
Crest/Banner of the Stars - even Banner of the Stars 3 doesn't conclude the story.
Yu Yu Hakusho - ridiculously rushed ending in the anime, though that was somewhat mirrored in the manga.
Inuyasha - I'm pretty sure fans didn't feel satisfied with the ending in 2004, though Final Act may have improved things.
Fushigi Yuugi - went anime-original around episode 35 (similar to FMA '03), and there's a ton more manga out there.
Irresponsible Captain Tylor - OVA series ends pretty much randomly, with a lot more novels out there.
Martian Successor Nadesico - anime ending is marginally conclusive, but the movie throws it all away.
Slayers, Tenchi Muyo - there's tons more unadapted novel content out there.
Those Who Hunt Elves (one of the first latenight TV anime in the modern mold) - they don't strip nearly enough elves to get home.
Sakura Diaries - woefully incomplete manga adaptation.
Ai Yori Aoshi (2002) - "Yay, it got a sequel! But it's completely inconclusive and inconsequential!"
Hellsing TV (2001) - incomplete adaptation that goes anime-original midway through its 13-episode run.
Berserk, His and Her Circumstances - these are some of the most infamous cases of "600-minute manga commercial Syndrome" in existence.

abhishekshere said:
I have no problem with 12/24 episodes
But at least complete the story

It seems like a long advertisement of manga /novel
As they expect us to read further story by reading manga / novel
That's exactly what they're intended to do: make viewers interested enough in the story to go buy the source books after the anime ends. That's why they generally don't wait until the source material is complete to create an anime adaptation - ongoing series get more of a source book sales boost from an anime than completed ones.
ZalisDec 24, 2016 11:52 PM
Dec 24, 2016 10:31 AM

Oct 2014
well op thanks for warning us about this change i owuld never had figure that out without your warning
Dec 24, 2016 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
Well...shit changes...- "lets just adapt part of the manga and just leave it like that"
Dec 25, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
Ckan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

When many anime are almost panel-by-panel adaptations of their manga, surely those anime are telling the same "story"

Why do people care about the source material? Because they care about the story, not whether a book continues the story.

All I see is a relationship of coincidence. Sure, they tell a very similar, almost exact story. Why do they have to stick to it?
Dec 25, 2016 12:42 AM

Dec 2015
1. Then read. Or if you really like animation, watch original stories thought for this medium.
edit: you could also take a look at animated adaptations of novels (not light-novels).

kazuro said:
Earlier anime had more complete adaptations :- Dragon Ball , LOGH , Space battleship Yamato , Fist of the North Star , Law of Ueki , Flame of Recca , Saiyuki (Not complete but had 4 seasons) , Saint Seiya ,Soul eater, Inuyasha .. I can keep going on... Mostly anime in 90's and Early 2000's ...

- Yamato is certainly not an adaptation,
- are you certain that the Recca manga was fully animated?
- Saiyûki had four seasons, only because each one was only using a hand of chapters of the manga. And of course, it couldn't feature a "complete" story since the manga was never completed (magazines/publishers changes, author's health, probable lack of interest).
- Saint Seiya was completely animated... only after a 12 or 13 years blank thanks to OAVs released over several years. And even so, the story wasn't complete because of the manga's abortion.
- Soul Eater is a complete anime but certainly not a complete adaptation.
- The Inuyasha animation simply suddenly smashed a conclusion on it.
I could go on too, I think.

edit @kazuro : I did read your title and message who mention conclusive series too. But Yamato, Inuyasha, Saiyûki and Soul Eater were wrongly listed in it as examples of "complete adaptations".
About Recca, I asked because I never checked the manga.
For Saiyûki, I am aware another animated project has been announced, but nobody said it would make it the animated saga complete.
For my other answers, I used St Seiya as an example in the past of non-immediacy and long wait (because you were talking about more recent examples too) while Inuyasha had an end but was not a complete adaptation of the manga.
With all my excuses.
Rei_IIIDec 25, 2016 1:13 AM
Dec 25, 2016 12:47 AM

Dec 2012
Rei366 said:
1. Then read. Or if you really like animation, watch original stories thought for this medium.

kazuro said:
Earlier anime had more complete adaptations :- Dragon Ball , LOGH , Space battleship Yamato , Fist of the North Star , Law of Ueki , Flame of Recca , Saiyuki (Not complete but had 4 seasons) , Saint Seiya ,Soul eater, Inuyasha .. I can keep going on... Mostly anime in 90's and Early 2000's ...

- Saiyûki had four seasons, only because each one was only using a hand of chapters of the manga. And of course, it couldn't feature a "complete" story since the manga was never completed (magazines/publishers changes, author's health, probable lack of interest).
- Saint Seiya was completely animated... only after a 12 or 13 years blank thanks to OAVs released over several years. And even so, the story wasn't complete because of the manga's abortion.

I mentioned in some comment on this thread that what I desire was not complete adaption to the dot but a certain conclusion to the story ..

Yamato is Original anime with ending

Yea watched Recca , Its complete ..
We are getting a fourth season of Saiyuki ...
Saint Seiya , Soul eater had ended as The last part as Original
Inuyasha had a conclusion no matter how it was..

I can also Go on...

Dec 25, 2016 12:57 AM

May 2015
kazuro said:
Rei366 said:

I mentioned in some comment on this thread that what I desire was not complete adaption to the dot but a certain conclusion to the story ..

Yamato is Original anime with ending

Yea watched Recca , Its complete ..
We are getting a fourth season of Saiyuki ...
Saint Seiya , Soul eater had ended as The last part as Original
Inuyasha had a conclusion no matter how it was..

I can also Go on...
So you prefer incomplete adaptation but complete anime for the sake of not waiting some years for a complete adaptation?

I do agree that anime left without a conclusion and no intention of continuing it are unpleasant but anime like Attach on titan will eventually be fully adapted so where's the issue if the manga is still going on? When the manga is complete and no anime adaptation in sight then I could agree with your complaints.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2016 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
@Rei366

I apologize for tagging a couple of titles wrongly as complete adaptations ... Thread description edited..

Dec 25, 2016 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Soja tu.

Dec 25, 2016 6:24 AM

Dec 2012
MiziTami said:
Soja tu.

We don't need you here :p

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Dec 25, 2016 6:31 AM

Nov 2014
It's clear that long running series are only those that guarantee long term profits. Anime are also increasingly being adapted from unfinished source material.

I would like to put out the fact that the newer format has it's flaws, but also has it's merits. Often as we see in long running anime, they often catch up with the source material, so it's either hiatus, filler or horribly slow pacing (all of which ruin the show). Having shorter anime prevents this, but often when trying to fit into 12 or 24 episodes, they get dragged out or rushed slightly.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

23 by rohan121 »»
1 minute ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

14 by Merve2Love »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 53 minutes ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
9 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

44 by -YaoiBoy- »»
12 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.