Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2016 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nikaidou can be such a good role model of the kids, the way he teaches about shogi is just popcorn entertaining and fun.

Momo and Hina definitely had a lot of fun and I'm sure Nikaidou didn't forget it either. Loved the colorful way they illustrated by the narratives and personality. Looks like Kyouko is back...which brings quite a shift in mood with the episode. Start of the "Distant Thunder" chapters and I think the pacing feels smooth so far.

Stark700Dec 3, 2016 6:57 AM
Dec 3, 2016 10:23 AM

Jan 2012
Goodness, that Kyouko is quite the awful human being. Flawed/harsh upbringing or not she's just....awful. Contrast that with Nikaidou who is generally wonderful. To say nothing of the sisters, and her awfulness becomes especially apparent. I wish Rei had sent her packing, but that's simply not in his character. Well, he tried anyway.
Dec 3, 2016 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
That woman makes me sick.
Dec 3, 2016 11:45 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That whole Rei - Kyouko sequence was stunning. What a desperate and extraordinary situation.
Dec 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode again.

Nikaidou just gets more and more awesome everytime. He might be a little imposing on Rei but the guy has heart man. :)
I can't believe he actually drew that book himself, Wow. Such talent. XD Was really generous of him to give Rei some housewarming gifts.
Damn, Nikaidou's passionate words have made men cry. XD
It was nice to see Rei reflect on his Nikaidou's words leading to him remembering his father and realizing he was in the very place that his father wanted to be.

Kyouko is finally introduced in the second half, I don't really like her all that much. She comes of as very coarse and it's very apparent that she dislikes Rei. It's very easy to spot the stark contrast in the sleepover's. Nikaidou's sleepover and Kyouko's sleepover had two very different if not opposite atmospheres. One was very heartwarming while the other felt moody and you can really feel that Rei never wanted her there.

They also revealed a little more regarding Rei's past, It looks like he got into a fight with Kyouko's boyfriend Gotou? From what I saw, It looked like he might have been trying to defend or help Kyouko.
Also it was really disgusting of Kyouko to try and demotivate Rei before his big game, That was really nasty and cheap.
Hopefully Kyouko redeems herself at some point, If not well, Atleast she's got the looks?
Dec 3, 2016 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
Nikaido is such a good character to watch...Rei sure has some disturbing family members
Dec 3, 2016 12:19 PM

Dec 2008
Kyouko's a BEEEEETCH!!!!
Dec 3, 2016 1:17 PM

Nov 2016
I was enjoying my episode but then that b*tch showed up.
Dec 3, 2016 1:30 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Love the use of cats to explain the Shogi pieces. LOL Nikaidou wrote & illustrated the book. Easy to understand for beginners.

That Shogi song is so catchy.

Always love Nikaidou's energy.

Kyouko is back. WOW she is intense. Makes me nervous seeing her around Rei.
Gotou sounds like an asshole. Even willing to stab him.

Interested in seeing more of her.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 3, 2016 1:44 PM

Nov 2015
I miss this show. Kyouko is back!

Dec 3, 2016 1:51 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Can you find the shogi song on YouTube somewhere? I kinda want to save it but I can't find it atm
Dec 3, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2015
Nikaidou is so good at explaining shogi. He even made a picture book about it. It looks really great. When Kyouko appeared, my disgust for her came back. I really don't like her. Her boyfriend is not a good person either. He beat up Rei before.
Dec 3, 2016 3:23 PM

Nov 2016
This show's ability to tell a story and shift your mood from one scene to the next is absolutely incredible.

I was feeling warm and fuzzy and lighthearted with a huge smile across my face during the first half with Nikaidou and the 3 sisters, and they even throw in that kitty shogi song (granted, it kind of creeped me out). It was all very endearing

Then Kyouko shows up and the entire atmosphere changes where everything is tense and dreary and..... wow. I hate her character but man, the intensity of this episode was sure something.
Dec 3, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
Weird episode. 3-chapter division and the second ending right in the middle. SHAFT mannerisms all apparent throughout and I'm not even that bothered, they sure could have toned them down a bit in the scenes with Kyouko, though.
Dec 3, 2016 3:45 PM

May 2015
It's true Kyouko is a bitch, but we all have to admint that she is hot. Puberty hit her like a train.

Also mid-episode-cat-shoig-song was really fun. Next episode will be fantastic. I'm feeling it.

PS.

I hope that there won't be more delayed episodes. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 3, 2016 4:04 PM

Apr 2015
probably i am the only one who like kyoko........
Dec 3, 2016 4:15 PM

Jul 2013
Nikaido is amazing, he not only taught the girls how to play shogi properly using examples they can understand, but he also made the book himself, even the illustrations! And he made it because he truly likes shogi and not to gain money.
He is also a total bro, giving new furniture to Rei. Love him.

The shogi cat song is surprisingly catchy.

The second half of the episode was really... intense, for calling it a name. Is really weird, but I actually liked Kyouko, despite how awful she is. I cannot descript it, but she has something in her I like a lot, like if anytime she talks, she steals the show. It has to be the voice acting, the design, how the animation portrays her or a combination of those three aspects, but I find her awfully fascinating.

Poor Rei too, being forced to beat and old man who is thinking in retiring if he loses another time to save himself from descends of position. That is some strong emotional blackmail.
And speaking about him, I love how he describes the situations who happens to him by metaphores (like comparing Kyouko's appearence with the lighning who appears before the storm this episode).
Dec 3, 2016 4:23 PM

May 2016
Kyouko's lines make me think of Ougi Oshino, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give to a character.
Dec 3, 2016 4:33 PM

May 2015
Glad to see this show back. I kinda missed it last week. Harunobu is such a good friend~

Kyouko is such an unbearable yet intriguing person at the same time somehow. I honestly hope to find out more about her and, of course, Rei's past. The flashback really made me curious.

Good episode.

Dec 3, 2016 4:43 PM

Feb 2012
The first half of the episode was pretty bad. I really dislike the cats(especially that stupid cat song) and most of the comedy this show has. The second half with Kyouko showing up was fantastic. It really made the episode.
Dec 3, 2016 4:43 PM

Oct 2013
Kyouko's presence makes me worried! Nikaido has come to be one of the best characters. It was boss of him to give Rei that upscale futon, but Rei is mainly worried that it doesn't fit in his closet. Rei is an autiste in that respect. He does not respond well to praise or good deeds on his behalf.

I don't dislike any of the characters, even Kyouko, but she seems like trouble.
Dec 3, 2016 4:58 PM

May 2015
Kyouko is a bad person but I really like her character so far.

Overall, another good episode from this show.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 3, 2016 5:36 PM
Jun 2016
Rei's history with his step sister looks pretty fucked up.

Not to mention that awkward sexual tension vibe I'm getting watching her interact with him.
Dec 3, 2016 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
I skipped the shogi song.
Dec 3, 2016 5:49 PM

Aug 2010
HIGAN0 said:
probably i am the only one who like kyoko........
Well, I like her in the sense that she brings an even more darker vibe in the show. I can't see her as anything but a vile person atm though.

It's as if she hates/dislikes Rei but at the same time is obsessed with him.. I definitely look forward to seeing her in the show.
Dec 3, 2016 6:09 PM

Oct 2012
What a strange relationship they have.. I guess something happened between them and her boyfriend got mad?

Anyway, I didn't liked much the first part of this episode, I'm still not fan of comedy surrounding Nikaidou (but I liked that cat insert song as the last time)

But the second part, where his sister arrived was just great (even though it was left open-ended because they split it up into two parts). Inoue Marina does well.

Ragna92 said:
Well, I like her in the sense that she brings an even more darker vibe in the show. I can't see her as anything but a vile person atm though.
It's as if she hates/dislikes Rei but at the same time is obsessed with him.. I definitely look forward to seeing her in the show.

There were small hints of affection here and there though, I guess she still feels something for him. If she didn't care at all she would not come into boy's room so late into the night in the first place. Obsession kinda, yeah, well, maybe, as he's still better shogi player than she ever will be and it's obvious she is still mad about her father choosing him instead.

But I also liked how they manage to portray that Rei's behavior changed dramatically when talking and dealing with her, he was lot more straightforward and less sheepish during that conversation.
Mich666Dec 3, 2016 6:18 PM
Dec 3, 2016 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
At first glance, I wasn't so sure about the voice acting of Kyouko, I thought the arrogant, dry, nasty tone might be overdone or a bit too much. On the other hand the voice's sound is nice and funnily remembered me Akari's voice but with a nasty vibe.

I must admit, after they woke up, she was so nasty that I laughed. In a comedy these would be some great lines. It remembered me Sayaka and Mayomi's humor in Bokura wa minna kawaisou. It is just that here it is meant to hurt. There isn't any comical purpose.
To be that nasty, she might have suffered a lot and is still suffering, nevertheless she was happy Rei didn't have scars and I wondered if despite her hostile words she doesn't admire a bit the fact he decided to leave the house and live alone.

To finish : Visually, there were some shaft-bakemonogatari vibes with the short shots just after Kyouko woke up and Nikaidou is such a boss and Momo has such a crush/admiration on/for him that like Rei I become a bit jealous :)
Dec 3, 2016 6:59 PM

Apr 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

To finish : Visually, there were some shaft-bakemonogatari vibes with the short shots just after Kyouko woke up

I lol'd at this part. Looks like Shaft is trying so hard to resist the urge to throw in their mannerisms, but they just coudn't this time. Hoping for some head tilts next week!
Dec 3, 2016 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
Kyuoko is an interesting character, very manipulative. i really hope somehow Rei stands up against her, she's a bad influence

and looks like he got into a fight with her boyfriend, who we have yet to see. so many characters that still need to be introduced, i'm looking forward to it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2016 7:30 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man Kyouko is a fucking bitch.

But damn id tap dat tho. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 3, 2016 7:49 PM

May 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Man Kyouko is a fucking bitch.

But damn id tap dat tho. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol this is too funny
Dec 3, 2016 8:53 PM

Nov 2009
My most favorite bitch finally makes her appearance! As expected, people are hating on her, eh. Well, I'd say try to look past the surface from now. it might not make your hate her less, but at least you'll find that she's nearly as complex a character as Rei himself is, and one-dimensional statements like "it's very apparent that she dislikes Rei" miss their mark severely.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 3, 2016 9:39 PM

Mar 2016
Missed this last week. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was adding in the shoji song to the middle, it made sense when explaining shoji but the rest just sort of took up time of the episode. The episode as a whole was good though, as usual.

I like that they explained the basics of Shoji, if we're going to see matches in the show it's good to set the foundation. The sisters becoming interested in learning how to play is really cute, and I liked Akari explaining what's great about the game from a social standpoint.

Nikaido is great in a not so obvious way. I love that we previously saw him showing concern over Rei's health and life style so he forces a sleepover on him to drop some house warming gifts, his way of ensuring Rei is at least a bit better off.

I don't like Kyokou, but I don't get the feeling I'm supposed to. The mood is very awkward and tense when she's over. I really like that she's compared to lightning, and the thunder hitting Rei was a great way to represent his feelings.

So Rei's troubled backstory continues, I had thought it had reached its peak but I'm proven wrong.
Dec 3, 2016 10:15 PM

Sep 2015
Gawd this episode's second half felt like the Monogatari series, heck, Kyouko is Senjougahara
Dec 3, 2016 10:41 PM

Jan 2013
Loved the interaction between the two, such great tension and passive aggression. She has a way with words to say the most hurtful things casual and mess with his head before a big match.
Dec 4, 2016 1:08 AM

Aug 2013
Kyouko has some awful personality.. but man, she's hot af
Dec 4, 2016 1:10 AM

Jul 2014
Annoying that we had to wait two weeks for this and the first ten minutes were completely wasted, more or less, especially with that stupid shogi song again. However, once Kyouko showed up, things became much more interesting, and I definitely agree with what someone else said about similarities she has with Ougi Oshino. I wonder how much of that is down to the SHAFT effect, though?
Dec 4, 2016 1:11 AM
May 2016
Great episode, really liking the show. Nikaidou teaching shogi was fun, though the insert cat shogi song, dunno what to feel about it.

I kinda like Kyouko's character although she has a terrible personality, she seems still kinda worried to Rei.
Dec 4, 2016 1:24 AM

Feb 2014
Rei`s apathetic personality towards both Nikaidou and Kyouko really comes to life in this episode. His indifference is very relatable to a bum like me, but I`m guessing that he will eventually turn into some stereotypical shounen-esque character in the end.
Lovin the Kyouko vibes btw.
Dec 4, 2016 1:43 AM

Oct 2012
Nikaido is too precious a friend for a person to ever have.
Kyouko is bringing in some more tension, she clearly still targets him no matter what, even if she's in his house because she knows he can't easily resist at this point. I was pretty appalled by her ability to put him down like that right before a match, but I can't deny that I'm interested in seeing how their character interactions develop.
We need some cute, relaxing and heartwarming scenes with the Kawamotos next week hopefully.
I love the atmosphere of the show though, really well done imo especially in how it suddenly shifts from time to time
And we also see how Rei still cares somewhat for Kyouko, being worried about her boyfriend who I presume fought him in the past. I'm getting a feeling from the flashback that Rei was outraged and initiated the argument for Kyouko's sake, showing how kind Rei is in general and which Kyouko knows and takes advantage of without any hesitation unfortunately for him

I also thought it was pretty clever and I definitely liked it when Rei compared Kyouko to his memory of lightning and how he was captivated by it regardless of the storm that it would inevitably bring with it. I'm just loving the 'Distant Thunder' chapter so far
gust11Dec 4, 2016 1:54 AM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 4, 2016 4:42 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This sister is a little bad grrrrrr
Dec 4, 2016 4:54 AM

Mar 2013
First half was boring. The second half was interesting.

We finally got introduction of Kyouko.
Her personality is really bad, but man, she's hot.

agendator said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

To finish : Visually, there were some shaft-bakemonogatari vibes with the short shots just after Kyouko woke up

I lol'd at this part. Looks like Shaft is trying so hard to resist the urge to throw in their mannerisms, but they just coudn't this time. Hoping for some head tilts next week!

For a moment, I thought why did I get monogatari vibes from those scenes? .-. Then I suddenly remembered this show itself is being made by studio Shaft! lmao
Dec 4, 2016 6:52 AM

Nov 2013
well kyouko feels bad but i actually didn't think her visit was that bad, was expecting her to hurt him or something but all she did was talking lol i'm actually liking her a bit now
only bad thing was the last part where she told rei would throw the match

oh so nikaidou was the one drawing the book, nice nice

i wanna see grandpa match with hina later,should be fun lmao
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 4, 2016 7:22 AM

Mar 2013

I found Kaori and Arima haha
Dec 4, 2016 8:15 AM

Feb 2015
So glad this is back, finally we get some more dark past coming into play. I now I can rest happy knowing now everyone will hate the "Witch sister" lol
Amazing as always.
Dec 4, 2016 8:23 AM

Apr 2011
Seriously. Fuck Kyouko. Manipulative bitch. How could you expect hospitality from someone after molesting them? I feel so uncomfortable for him.
Dec 4, 2016 8:25 AM
May 2010
Feels like I'm the only one who like the shogi song, I think it's cute, funny, have nice visual and actually very informing. I know that shogi is japanese chess but that's all, that's why I like how the song tell about how the piece moves and their character.

Also I'd like that Nikaidou's guide to shogi pls.
Dec 4, 2016 11:51 AM

Sep 2015
Another great episode definitely worth the very long wait. I am so excited they continued the teach me how to play shogi theme. I love the cat stuff I would honestly play a shogi phone app with that as the format. I also lost my shit when it came out Nikaidou hand made the book, I'm not really sure what they're doing with his character recently but its amusing. I really liked the older sisters speech about the universality of shogi. She's so sweet and it feels like forever since we've seen her. The most interesting plot development though was the introduction of or reintroduction of Rei's half sister. I was kind of fascinated by their interactions in this episode. Both the set up for next week's episode which was juicy, and the talk of her violent boyfriend who will surely come up again. It's good to have this series back.
Dec 4, 2016 12:01 PM

Aug 2013
D-ohnuts said:
I skipped the shogi song.
so I wasn't the only one. Good.
Anyway, second part was really interesting.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 4, 2016 12:17 PM

Jun 2013
i liked his use of cats to explain shogi and he wrote a book that's actually amazing
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

158 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 12:31 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

191 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:12 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:06 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

177 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

91 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.