Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2016 8:59 PM

Mar 2016
ex_necross said:
YK97 said:

He won't be making more Macross? That's a shame....

Well he said the same thing with Frontier and I believe previous ones as well. So, there's no guarantee. But with the poor reception of Delta and the low sales compared to previous Macross, it would seem this is truly it. (after the inevitable Delta movie of course).

I mean it's quite sad to see such a franchise go down at its original creator hands. Quite the irony when you consider he made Macross great and fail at the same time.

@Fai It won't get worse but the chance of it getting better will be gone also. Tbh, I wasn't expecting Delta to crash lbut eugh... :(
Sep 25, 2016 9:15 PM

Mar 2013
Although as a whole not my favorite in the series, the music is by far my favorite. Outstanding job with the song.
Sep 25, 2016 9:43 PM
Sep 2016
DONT CRY BOYS FAN THE CURSE IS BROKEN THE IDOL WITH THE PILOT JJAJAJA THERE IS A RUMOR ABOUT A MOVIE ITS TRUE OR FALSE
Sep 25, 2016 9:54 PM
Sep 2016
IS POSIBLLE THAT REVEALED WHO IS LADY M OR WHERE ARE MEGAROAD 01 and FINALY THE HAYATE S NECKLACE WHAT THIS?? IN THE MOVIE MAYBEE
Sep 26, 2016 1:02 AM

Sep 2015
so what just happen here?

massive nude network
all confes
glass dude turn into final boss and nobody ever care much about him before this
sing all over place
wild tsundere scenei

and last part did freyja somehow recover or what? was she about to die?

someone help me
Into the Internet!
Sep 26, 2016 4:38 AM
Aug 2016
Well despite giving a 10(only because main girls did not die and it was overall a happy ending) and editing my previous post. There are certainly things that people like @YK97 have a point about even tradition @Fai has a point.(not gonna bring up their points, I mainly support YK97 tho) Freyja definitely got the auto-win since the director "tried" to satisfy the sponsors with a "love triangle" . In reality the director was just using the loophole "love triangle" since it wasn't specified "competitive love triangle" to fulfill the "drop love triangle plan" by giving Mirage as little opposition power as possible by making her tsun tsun and having her sidelined hence fulfilling sponsors' criteria.(Director should have made her a mutual comrade instead but good move on his part to get his wish I guess). Don't get me wrong die hard Freyja shippers but you guys/girls need to CHILL OUT and LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE. The chill out also goes for any possible salty tradition loyalists. ._.

I am sure there are those who wouldn't mind Freyja winning if there was a real struggle to win Hayate over.I didn't feel the struggle. I didn't feel much romance power during the out of battle moments but rather friendly feel (i took note of the blushes but Hayate's part was really little and we can blush with our female friends too IRL and hang out with them and see old couples). The romance in Macross Frontier was definitely stronger even Ranka whom I hated a lot felt more romantic but thankfully she lost despite putting up a good fight. I mean if there's a love triangle there has to be a good fight between both girls. Freyja won by a ratio of 100:1 which is as good as auto-win. I noticed some Freyja shippers(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) talk about favorite winning automatically and how it wouldn't be bad writing in a sarcastic manner. Not gonna explain where I am getting at but ~Do you remember the automatic love?~ ~And how it isn't terrible~ LOL

AGAIN as I have said before, I am happy that Hayate and Freyja ended up together even though I dig Mikumo more. However, we shouldn't drown ourselves in our ships and deny the issues. But as they say, to each his own. If you don't find an issue then there won't be an issue for you.

Mirage didn't have a speck of a chance of putting up a fight at all...it was like the wind. And Hayate in the finale kind of looked as if OH RIGHT I HAVE A TRUMP CARD. Asspulls I LOVE YOU card out and problem solved and we win. I didn't find it annoying but I was really amused by the classic love love win. Again, don't get me wrong, I find it cute as much as how I love important characters dying to break many hearts including my own. The issues that the critics have are the pacing and script. But if there's a movie, I hope that the love triangle battle will be better and that the stakes will be higher as well as Hayate and Keith settling their rivalry once and for all. One shall stand, one shall fall kind of settling their rivalry once and for all. Most important thing would be the pacing! And...if the sponsors still want love triangle...either do it or don't...THERE IS NO TRY! And more cool fights are needed T_T

Also as a Mikumo fan, I hope there's more Mikumo time in the movie ~_~

FOREVER HAIL MIKUMO
alterzeroSep 26, 2016 5:30 AM
Sep 26, 2016 7:00 AM
Nov 2014
Just finished watching, the ending can consider the second best episode out of the whole second half (in terms of action) already, but the loose ends are loosely tied up, can't help but have the thing felt like gundam seed destiny all over again.
Over all, series have a strong start, it has momentum, mystery, build up potential given it is a planet now not just space and colony dome, the major three characters are too simplified compare to frontier, it is hard to buy the lead boys ability from like father like son cliche, compare to lead boy in frontier, alto is much more complicated and 3 Dimensional, with more room to grow. Hayate seem more like a convienence of plot devices (odds of his dad is so important and he ended up in the he same sector) and simple lost kid bump into things by fate. Mirage should have been a good character to write given the family burden of expectation, but her development didn't grow anywhere beyond the first few episodes. Freyja has an appealing design, I like the look and the character, a different take on ranka but minus the mystery, it would be a lot better if she is some what related to the royal family so that it can have a lot more depth and conflict than the simple farm girl want to sing motive.
The first half of the series ending with the excile of the good guys is well planned and well executed, every episode has different things and new elements / mystery, for the lead triangle lack depth, the story had momentum, hence I give the first half 7/10.
For the second half, starting from death of the emperor, the series pacing went down hill fast, momentum completely lost. The two watchable romance episodes aside, we seem to have Side characters and background plot has more development than the centre love triangle.
Mikumo woud have been another good character to develop but, her back story didn't get to be unveiled til late hence felt very rushed, the two lover in the team woud have been on to digging dirt on her far sooner than later given their curiosity display in their back story (that there is a good subplot).
While messer was a good character and killed off with good effects, there should be some one to replace him but no new character was inserted as reinforcement in the second half, the new character would make hayate and mirage be in messers position so through he or she enhance their character development (Learn to be the mentor and example).
On the enemy side, it attempted to fuse character on the opposition, but mostly the emperor and qasim being the more memorisable ones amongst the gang shows their development isn't good enough to make audience care enough.

Over all, delta tried many new things and has great potential, but we only get to have a glimpse of that potential starting with a bang.
It can be salvaged with three movie length episodes, that mysterious lady m should come out in some mysterious form, instead of being mentioned because she is equal to that merchant guy whom imo is the best and true villain of the series.
The second half only gets 5/10, so over all, 6/10 for the series as a whole.
Music wise, the insert songs are far better to the ear at first hearing than all of the op ed, this is a complete contrast to Macross f, which the ops were excellent upon first listen to. They also don't seem to have truely new insert songs in the second half ...
I would love to get my hands on the music collection... rating the music: 7/10 (should have been more)
jackausSep 26, 2016 7:14 AM
Sep 26, 2016 8:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
ex_necross said:
YK97 said:

He won't be making more Macross? That's a shame....

Well he said the same thing with Frontier and I believe previous ones as well. So, there's no guarantee. But with the poor reception of Delta and the low sales compared to previous Macross, it would seem this is truly it. (after the inevitable Delta movie of course).

While the sales have been vastly inferior to Frontier, they have have still been a tad higher than average. And Walkure has been having decent sales too. If there's one homerun success from this series is that Junna can sing like the best of them.

I'm hoping that Big West, which has been Macross' backer since the start, sees Delta as an opportunity to thank Kawamori for his efforts over the years and tries a new Macross product with a new creative force. Just like Tomino or Lucas have seen their creations move forward without them, I think a new fresh creative team could ensure the future of the franchise. Satelight is a pretty average studio that pumps out one mediocre studio after another and has nothing to add to Macross anymore imo.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 26, 2016 8:48 AM

Mar 2016
Farabeuf said:
ex_necross said:

While the sales have been vastly inferior to Frontier, they have have still been a tad higher than average. And Walkure has been having decent sales too. If there's one homerun success from this series is that Junna can sing like the best of them.

I'm hoping that Big West, which has been Macross' backer since the start, sees Delta as an opportunity to thank Kawamori for his efforts over the years and tries a new Macross product with a new creative force. Just like Tomino or Lucas have seen their creations move forward without them, I think a new fresh creative team could ensure the future of the franchise. Satelight is a pretty average studio that pumps out one mediocre studio after another and has nothing to add to Macross anymore imo.

Yeah... I kinda agree with you that Macross franchise have to move on and getting a fresh team in there might some fresh air much like Star Wars did. (got an episode 4 remake that made a lot of money LOL)

Food for thought:Of course Walkure have decent sales, Idol group are all the rage in Japan. (Not a fan but that's just how the market works.)

So, was Delta an attempt to cash grab despite how bad the anime was? Bear in mind outside of the anime itself, it has plastic model kits, shirts, bodypillows, live show/ concert, Blu-ray sales and etc...
Sep 26, 2016 9:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
YK97 said:
Farabeuf said:

Yeah... I kinda agree with you that Macross franchise have to move on and getting a fresh team in there might some fresh air much like Star Wars did. (got an episode 4 remake that made a lot of money LOL)

Food for thought:Of course Walkure have decent sales, Idol group are all the rage in Japan. (Not a fan but that's just how the market works.)

So, was Delta an attempt to cash grab despite how bad the anime was? Bear in mind outside of the anime itself, it has plastic model kits, shirts, bodypillows, live show/ concert, Blu-ray sales and etc...

I wouldn't really call it a cash grab. All anime try to make as much money as possible from merchandise (the stuff that has been sold as Evangelion merchandise over the decades is mind boggling). Macross has always stood on it's twin legs of music sales and hugely successful model kits. Big West has to make it's money back somehow.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
jackaus said:
Just finished watching, the ending can consider the second best episode out of the whole second half (in terms of action) already, but the loose ends are loosely tied up, can't help but have the thing felt like gundam seed destiny all over again.
Over all, series have a strong start, it has momentum, mystery, build up potential given it is a planet now not just space and colony dome, the major three characters are too simplified compare to frontier, it is hard to buy the lead boys ability from like father like son cliche, compare to lead boy in frontier, alto is much more complicated and 3 Dimensional, with more room to grow. Hayate seem more like a convienence of plot devices (odds of his dad is so important and he ended up in the he same sector) and simple lost kid bump into things by fate. Mirage should have been a good character to write given the family burden of expectation, but her development didn't grow anywhere beyond the first few episodes. Freyja has an appealing design, I like the look and the character, a different take on ranka but minus the mystery, it would be a lot better if she is some what related to the royal family so that it can have a lot more depth and conflict than the simple farm girl want to sing motive.
The first half of the series ending with the excile of the good guys is well planned and well executed, every episode has different things and new elements / mystery, for the lead triangle lack depth, the story had momentum, hence I give the first half 7/10.
For the second half, starting from death of the emperor, the series pacing went down hill fast, momentum completely lost. The two watchable romance episodes aside, we seem to have Side characters and background plot has more development than the centre love triangle.
Mikumo woud have been another good character to develop but, her back story didn't get to be unveiled til late hence felt very rushed, the two lover in the team woud have been on to digging dirt on her far sooner than later given their curiosity display in their back story (that there is a good subplot).
While messer was a good character and killed off with good effects, there should be some one to replace him but no new character was inserted as reinforcement in the second half, the new character would make hayate and mirage be in messers position so through he or she enhance their character development (Learn to be the mentor and example).
On the enemy side, it attempted to fuse character on the opposition, but mostly the emperor and qasim being the more memorisable ones amongst the gang shows their development isn't good enough to make audience care enough.

Over all, delta tried many new things and has great potential, but we only get to have a glimpse of that potential starting with a bang.
It can be salvaged with three movie length episodes, that mysterious lady m should come out in some mysterious form, instead of being mentioned because she is equal to that merchant guy whom imo is the best and true villain of the series.
The second half only gets 5/10, so over all, 6/10 for the series as a whole.
Music wise, the insert songs are far better to the ear at first hearing than all of the op ed, this is a complete contrast to Macross f, which the ops were excellent upon first listen to. They also don't seem to have truely new insert songs in the second half ...
I would love to get my hands on the music collection... rating the music: 7/10 (should have been more)

Gundam seed destiny had potential you know... Real potential... Potential that have been squandered by bringing back Jesus Yamato and his selfish girlfriend who want "no war, no more killing, peace." It is utterly stupid and their "perfect" thoughts are just the thing you hate with a passion. The show've been excellent if it was only good colonies vs dumb moraless earth fed. The twist that the thing Jesus Yamato protected was nothing more than a child play. MS design at the end become none sense. Destiny Gundam is kinda ugly. All the rest are refresh designs . That's it.

Coming from that, I could see the similarities between rehashing the VF-30 into the VF31. That's what got me mad during all the season+ barely enough screen time for the Gerwalk mode and battleroid mode. They even reuse the monster from Frontier.

As for the deaths, I already said my opinion on Messer and Quassim death. Quassim death felt just deplorable since you see he has a child son and all he wanted to be was an apple farmer. I give them credits for that but still, killing him didn't bring a change within Hayate other than "Oh there good people in Windermere..." No Quassim after... Not even in the dialogues...

Messer, on the other hand, was written dead because they wanted to. No memorable relationship between him and Hayate. I brought up the suggestion few discussion earlier if Hayate earn his place as an apprentice of Messer, we would see some great development but nope, they just step on it and decide to explore feelings for Kaname and Var affecting him. It feels incredibly cheap to use a character this way and "because he have a death reaper sign, it would be smart from is to write him dead,huehuehhue..." Plus, at the end of all this, what did Messer bring to the story? Nothin other than some "oh he died and let's remember him" scene. What a mess...
Sep 26, 2016 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
Farabeuf said:
YK97 said:

I wouldn't really call it a cash grab. All anime try to make as much money as possible from merchandise (the stuff that has been sold as Evangelion merchandise over the decades is mind boggling). Macross has always stood on it's twin legs of music sales and hugely successful model kits. Big West has to make it's money back somehow.

Big West is the copyright holder of the Macross Franchise. So, anything with a Macross name on it would mean money for them. Now that I think of it, Big West are just marketing geniuses....
Sep 26, 2016 10:08 AM

Jul 2007
Farabeuf said:
ex_necross said:

There's so much in macross lore that could be explored. Considering all Kawamori achieved via Delta is "big fucking nothing", new ideas certainly would help as long as the tone and the focus on music remains. And that could mean that we would not get RankaV3.
Sep 26, 2016 4:04 PM
May 2015
I loved this show (my first Macross) and I will definitely watch Macross F movies but I agree show went downhill. Main thing is probably this type of series just SCREAMS 40+ eps to me not 26. I love that Freyja won but she had no competition since Mirage didn't get developed that much in comparison, we needed more eps focused on romance from both sides. Hell even Messer, Arad and Kaname was kind of a love triangle but they just had to kill Messer w/o doing anything with that.
Sep 26, 2016 4:07 PM

Oct 2015
At last Macross Dissapointment has ended. The only good parts were the older Macross references. Miss the real wars with gore and everything, the epic songs at the right time, and the plot in general.
Sep 26, 2016 4:11 PM

Mar 2016
SovereignSky said:
I loved this show (my first Macross) and I will definitely watch Macross F movies but I agree show went downhill. Main thing is probably this type of series just SCREAMS 40+ eps to me not 26. I love that Freyja won but she had no competition since Mirage didn't get developed that much in comparison, we needed more eps focused on romance from both sides. Hell even Messer, Arad and Kaname was kind of a love triangle but they just had to kill Messer w/o doing anything with that.

Can you watch all the other Macross series then come back and tell us about it? I kinda feel sad that this is your first Macross experience.
Sep 26, 2016 4:12 PM

Mar 2016
SaeLiuS said:
At last Macross Dissapointment has ended. The only good parts were the older Macross references. Miss the real wars with gore and everything, the epic songs at the right time, and the plot in general.

Even the old series reference became a joke on how Delta is bad lol.
Sep 26, 2016 5:27 PM
Dec 2012
1/10

I was hoping this series won't ended up like Frontier, however I was wrong. It's same like Frontier

10/10 would laugh if they make movie of Delta to explain things that not explained in the tv series.

Things I like in Delta

-Music
-Roid (Thank you for being the smartest one while the rest aerial knight are dumb)
Sep 26, 2016 7:08 PM

Sep 2010
What 'tradition' do you speak of? Older girl wins or Jenius women are such failures in love that they lose the triangle they are the supposed center? Or Part Zentraedi Girls are doomed (remember Ranka and Mylenne? Now Mirage). Zentraedi are Kawamori's chewtoy and Windermere were created to defeat them by the Protoculture, so in a meta way, Freyja had the advantage.

Freyja had all the winner set up: first girl who met the protagonist and who is the main heroine. Watch any Macross triangle (not just in Macross: EVERY other series Kawamori's involved) and the First Girl Always Wins. And before everyone whines but Misa and Minmay broke that rule! Misa wasn't Hikaru's love interest in Macross until around episodes 10-ish (in the draft, she was supposed to end up with Global, by the way). The story was always about Hikaru's unrequited love for Minmay and was going to finish when he realized he couldn't have her (and lose her to Kaifun). Hence the ending was "Runner" about him finally stop chasing after her. Misa was shoehorned as love interest by the Network to throw Hikaru a bone. And the following versions of Macross has Hikaru meeting Misa first (DYRL, Macross the First, the Novel) to retroactively making her the first girl he meets. Because in the 80s, the episodes were made on the fly, this was allowed. In case of Delta, the episodes are all finished and only needed recording before the series is aired (those are the politics now). They can't change things unless they do those one season break to work in the second half production. Network also forced them to write more when their script officially ended in Love Drifts Away.

Delta doesn't have a Runner ending about a guy finally stop chasing a girl after closing his photoalbum. It had an ending song about Hayate flying toward Freyja while there's symbolism about their sync which got off and then harmonized again. It was an ending of Hayate's journey toward Freyja.

What drove Hikaru and Minmay apart never existed with Freyja and Hayate. I could actually write a long essay how Hayate and Freyja relationship is the anti-Minmay and Hikaru and the continuation of Kawamori's favor to singer/pilot couples (the reason why Hikaru didn't end up with Minmay is because Minmay is Kawamori's beloved darling and he never saw a nobody like Hikaru worthy of her: She's "like the sun"): Mylenne and Gamlin (potentially, as we have confirmation that Basara isn't part of the Jenius family), Myung and Isamu, Sheryl and Alto, Sara and Shin. Freyja and Hayate relationship was really good, but I would have wanted it to be platonic because I'm sick of romance as the most important and life-changing relationship.

Also in Macross, Kawamori has a fetish about couples between two sides in conflict with each other: Sheryl was from Macross Galaxy (and the movie version he personally wrote, she was a spy working with Grace), Myung was a part of the Sharon Apple creation, you can count Sivil for Basara as a Protodeviln, Sara was an islander at odds with the UN, and now Freyja is part of the species that is at war with the Cluster. In original Macross, this tradition was carried out by the true OTP he cares about: Max and Milia (and Mirage even brought them up to push this on Freyja, but also Hayate).

Freyja and Hayate didn't break any tradition. You guys just misread the tradition that was going to follow.
ThessSep 26, 2016 7:31 PM
Sep 26, 2016 7:59 PM

Mar 2016
Thess said:
What 'tradition' do you speak of? Older girl wins or Jenius women are such failures in love that they lose the triangle they are the supposed center? Or Part Zentraedi Girls are doomed (remember Ranka and Mylenne? Now Mirage). Zentraedi are Kawamori's chewtoy and Windermere were created to defeat them by the Protoculture, so in a meta way, Freyja had the advantage.

Freyja had all the winner set up: first girl who met the protagonist and who is the main heroine. Watch any Macross triangle (not just in Macross: EVERY other series Kawamori's involved) and the First Girl Always Wins. And before everyone whines but Misa and Minmay broke that rule! Misa wasn't Hikaru's love interest in Macross until around episodes 10-ish (in the draft, she was supposed to end up with Global, by the way). The story was always about Hikaru's unrequited love for Minmay and was going to finish when he realized he couldn't have her (and lose her to Kaifun). Hence the ending was "Runner" about him finally stop chasing after her. Misa was shoehorned as love interest by the Network to throw Hikaru a bone. And the following versions of Macross has Hikaru meeting Misa first (DYRL, Macross the First, the Novel) to retroactively making her the first girl he meets. Because in the 80s, the episodes were made on the fly, this was allowed. In case of Delta, the episodes are all finished and only needed recording before the series is aired (those are the politics now). They can't change things unless they do those one season break to work in the second half production. Network also forced them to write more when their script officially ended in Love Drifts Away.

Delta doesn't have a Runner ending about a guy finally stop chasing a girl after closing his photoalbum. It had an ending song about Hayate flying toward Freyja while there's symbolism about their sync which got off and then harmonized again. It was an ending of Hayate's journey toward Freyja.

What drove Hikaru and Minmay apart never existed with Freyja and Hayate. I could actually write a long essay how Hayate and Freyja relationship is the anti-Minmay and Hikaru and the continuation of Kawamori's favor to singer/pilot couples (the reason why Hikaru didn't end up with Minmay is because Minmay is Kawamori's beloved darling and he never saw a nobody like Hikaru worthy of her: She's "like the sun"): Mylenne and Gamlin (potentially, as we have confirmation that Basara isn't part of the Jenius family), Myung and Isamu, Sheryl and Alto, Sara and Shin. Freyja and Hayate relationship was really good, but I would have wanted it to be platonic because I'm sick of romance as the most important and life-changing relationship.

Also in Macross, Kawamori has a fetish about couples between two sides in conflict with each other: Sheryl was from Macross Galaxy (and the movie version he personally wrote, she was a spy working with Grace), Myung was a part of the Sharon Apple creation, you can count Sivil for Basara as a Protodeviln, Sara was an islander at odds with the UN, and now Freyja is part of the species that is at war with the Cluster. In original Macross, this tradition was carried out by the true OTP he cares about: Max and Milia (and Mirage even brought them up to push this on Freyja, but also Hayate).

Freyja and Hayate didn't break any tradition. You guys just misread the tradition that was going to follow.

Why the heck would you bother with that? Just follow the damn story. As for the couples, let the author do whatever he wants. Haven't give a shit about it since Alto choses Sheryl over Ranka in Sayonnara no Tsubasa.

For someone who have watched all the Macross that Kawamori have directed, I didn't give a damn shit about which girl winning but rather for what reason the girl is better than the other.

Minmay was always immature. Misa on the other hand was levelheaded. You can see why Hikaru chose Misa over Minmay since he was no longer a teen who met a crush but someone that have matured over the series run.

Freyja is just I wanna sing+ love Hayate. Mirage is just there and tsundere her way + one liners all the times+ getting flustered by the thought of Hayate. No development whatsoever. Stay almost as same as they started. They feel flat.

Why the heck would you care about traditions.... It doesn't make an once of sense to me. If you want your ship girl win, just go read some doujinshi. I'm sure there are out there. If there isn't, write some damn fanfiction to satisfy your imagination. Gosh....

As long as the love story doesn't cut screentime from my beloved 3 mode fluid action packed Valkyrie battle, I don't care at all which I cannot say for Delta. The damn gerwalk mode+ battleroid mode barely got any screen time.
Sep 26, 2016 8:07 PM
Aug 2016
Thess said:

Right? I don't know how this "tradition" even exist to begin with
Sep 26, 2016 8:11 PM

Mar 2016
AweFist said:
Thess said:

Right? I don't know how this "tradition" even exist to begin with

^^^ Man you made my day! XD
Sep 26, 2016 8:43 PM

Oct 2015
worts macross ever.
this story is all about freyja, freyja this freyja that. and I feel cheated for mirage as a main character she has absolutely zero character development in this series.
5/10 from me.

Sep 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Dec 2008
Wow, Ikenai Borderline did not even make the cut for the finale? They should have played IB when Mikumo broke free. Wasted!
Sep 26, 2016 8:58 PM

Dec 2007
I wonder if we will ever find out who Lady. M is.... Probably Misa Hayase from original Macross. Fingers crossed for movie to answer some questions... The ending feels so incomplete like good ol' Macross fashion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 26, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2012
I find it funny that the people who really find the show bad are the ones making the discussion lively here. Usually when I find a show bad, I just drop the show and perhaps leave one comment and forget about it right away and move on watching other good shit.
Sep 26, 2016 10:18 PM

Mar 2016
FlamingMangos said:
I find it funny that the people who really find the show bad are the ones making the discussion lively here. Usually when I find a show bad, I just drop the show and perhaps leave one comment and forget about it right away and move on watching other good shit.

I was on the point of leaving then I saw your post. LOL
Sep 26, 2016 10:26 PM

Sep 2012
YK97 said:
FlamingMangos said:

Damn dude. You're still following this thread? You do it more than the actual people who likes the show. Are you an actual delta fan after all?
Sep 26, 2016 11:58 PM

Mar 2016
FlamingMangos said:
YK97 said:

Damn dude. You're still following this thread? You do it more than the actual people who likes the show. Are you an actual delta fan after all?

An a Macross fan who waited 8 years for another one but only to see it crash and burn, I would like to see this through, haha. If you stayed in this forum since the beginning you can alway see me commenting on almost each and everyone of the threads.
Sep 27, 2016 12:58 AM

Sep 2011
This was good until... Idek when, but it got bad somewhere in the show. Rushed as fucked. What a letdown. Aerials knights are retards except for Roid(until last ep) lmao. Action is a huge letdown compared to previous Macross' as well.

The show just could not go that extra mile like the other ones did. Unfortunate.
Sep 27, 2016 12:58 AM

Nov 2012
YES WE GOT A FREYJA X HAYATE ENDING THIS IS ALL I WANTED
Sep 27, 2016 1:12 AM

Sep 2012
valvravetruth said:
FlamingMangos said:
2nd wife? Are you this serious? Do you underestimate love and shame this much? You don't think Mirage will feel any shame being with the guy that lost his gf and that gf is also her best friend who died a horrible death? You don't think Hayate's love for Freyja is that strong that he just moves on and goes out with his best friend, Mirage?

You watch too much anime really== and you need to relax. Taking a 2nd wife especially best friend with the husband and wife is common in real life. Plus I never said Hayate to take 2nd wife immediately, i did point out "thru time" means anything is possible. One true love is good and taking a 2nd time is not a shame at all, apologize to all the husband who marriage the 2nd time. Its called move on bro.

You are the one that underestimate love and shame at the same time. You need to think 1st then write and whats with the "horrible death" in your post, You are seriously imagining even worse than what I post out. Horrible death, really?

Under the scenario of Freyja last moment, she can actually ask Mirage to take care of Hayate whether as a best friend or wife and maybe even ask Hayate to marry Mirage. From then on its up to Hayate, 1 year or 10 years, a new love is possible. If that happens both Hayete Mirage will of course forever remember the love of Freyja, thats the bonds those 3 shared together. IF Hayate continue to only have one true love, then in fine with that.

You talk about moving on then why wouldn't Mirage move on while leaving behind her love for Hayate? I mean, Hayate chose Freyja and they'll be together for years so, wouldn't Mirage already be finding new love? Because like you said. Hayate will find new love if Freyja dies so, why wouldn't Mirage do that when she lost? You make no sense. I really wonder who needs to think first.

BTW, its extremely common to find someone new after being rejected. A lot more common than finding someone after your loved one died. Your comparison to reality really backfired.
FlamingMangosSep 27, 2016 1:19 AM
Sep 27, 2016 1:26 AM
May 2013
It was a huge filler , the slow pacing and the lack of important events makes this worst Macross so far .A movie version of this would be more relevant than the whole anime.

For me this was like Frontier with nearly everyone being Ranka ( except Mikumo and Messer )

Mirage love for Hayate is so forced , is like confessing to someone who is about to make his relationship known to the world , rather than rejecting her it would make him feel awkward .
Sep 27, 2016 1:47 AM

Feb 2008
This episode in a nutshell:

Pretty weak ending, but I do give it credit for actually giving a conclusion to the nonexistent love triangle. I just can't see Mirage as part of the triangle, she rarely had any non-casual interaction with Hayate, while every interaction between Hayate and Freyja was building up their relation. Too bad that it will end up badly in any case, she'll die soon and Hayate will suffer.

Not the worst Macross but the worst Macross TV show (still better than Zero and II). I'd probably drop it if it wasn't related to the franchise. The cast was bloated and barely anyone got any development. Mikumo and Freyja should have been the only idols tbh, since the other three were really one dimensional and tropey, so their existence only took away screentime Freyja, Mirage or Mikumo could have gotten. Mirage was the biggest disappointment. You don't introduce a Jenus and make them the blandest character int he show. Her grandpa was awesome, her grandma was awesome, why can't she be awesome? At this point even Mylene was a better character than Mirage.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 27, 2016 1:56 AM

Dec 2014
Such extremes in this topic, you guys can't honestly believe that Macross Zero was better than Delta, right?
Sep 27, 2016 2:20 AM
Dec 2011
Xalren said:
Such extremes in this topic, you guys can't honestly believe that Macross Zero was better than Delta, right?

Only Macross 2 is worst than Delta now.
Sep 27, 2016 3:16 AM

Apr 2011
Hallowghoul said:
Worst...Macross...ever, bland characters, the love triangle was heavily one sided, and mech battles were mediocre at best. It was promising at the start then derailed at ep 14 and also the plot started strong then became questionable the furter they went. 3/10 for me.

I had the same struggle, but I did enjoy the first half, and the songs, so I'm giving it a 6/10.
AngelicTotoroSep 27, 2016 3:22 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Sep 27, 2016 4:08 AM
May 2015
Dissapointing. I'm a bit salty about how bad Delta turned out to be at this end with its 2nd cour.

Xalren said:

Why are you comparing an OAV series with a TV series? If you compare them, Zero shit on Delta with the Mecha action and choreography alone, even now after 14 years.
Sep 27, 2016 4:18 AM

Oct 2010
It was not a Macross, it was delta between F and next one.
Sep 27, 2016 4:18 AM

Jul 2007
D-Joe said:
Xalren said:

^This is correct.
Sep 27, 2016 4:32 AM
Jan 2016
the effect of main protagonist?
Sep 27, 2016 4:54 AM
Oct 2010
No galactic/major threat until the very last episode.

Evangelion spoiler

Very one sided "triangle"

Very little character development overall.

Nonsensical actions by the wind dudes.

No big battles

etc etc. So so bad.

On a more positive note, I did like that song that mikumo was using to mind control everyone.
Sep 27, 2016 5:19 AM

Nov 2014
Well I am glad I was proven wrong about this series since I was crazily outraged after the first release episode.

Definitely not my favourite and I still think they would have been better doing a Klan Klang stand alone follow on from Frontier but it truly was Macross for better or worse. 7/10.
Sep 27, 2016 5:54 AM

Apr 2008
Thank god if finally ended. Macross Delta was a mess full of clichéd scenes and awkward moments. So, after the confession scene Freyja song got boosted and the POWER OF LOVE helped the good guys defeat the bad big boss. The first Macross basically did the same thing, but at that time things are done in a more subtly/coherent manner. We could actually feel how painful and horrible the war with Zentrandi was, and when Minmay stood up bravery to sing her love songs we all got impressed and pumped up. The producers/writers did a good job building up this scenario to make it believable/credible. Macross Delta instead, felt forced. Every plot point/drama dragged endlessly and felt bland and easily predictable. The Windemerians are horrible antagonists and nothing can justify what they did, so it was hard to sympathize with any of them especially when the writers spent precious episode moments to humanize them. The main protagonists are poorly written especially Mirage who barely got any development at all. They desperately tried to make Freyja a likable character (and she is!), emphasizing how short her life span is and how she is a good girl who only wants to sing. As a result, at some point things got a bit overboard. Her character design also reflected this, they created a super moe cute loli girl with a kawaii desu heart-shaped rune and instead of looking like a young girl she ended up more like a living flashy doll. Hayate was poorly written as well, he only got his carefree happy fella personality and the typical main anime character thick headedness when it comes to love, but thank god he confessed to Freyja at the end so we don't have to spend years waiting for a movie version to finish things properly. IMO, the only character that got interesting and unique development in the show was Mikumo, but the writers messed up in the end by giving her the damsel in distress/brainwash treatment.

The action scenes were boring and subpar; most dogfights are done based on that "ride with the wind" power instead of portraying real fights between skilled pilots. The music is by far the worst in the series, most songs were clichéd/poor, and the idol group got that really annoying highly pitched whining voice that sometimes it felt I was listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks. Music is all about personal taste, and for me the only pleasant voice was Mikumo's

Worst Macross series for me. Seven is a bit better because FIRE BOMBER was pure awesome and I didn't mind listening "TRY AGAIN" almost every episode.
ElazulSep 27, 2016 6:07 AM
Sep 27, 2016 6:16 AM

Dec 2014
A big and bombastic ending to an equally big and bombastic anime.

I loved Delta. It might have been pretty slow at times, but nearly everything else about it was great. The character cast, visuals, story, and especially the moral. (That putting passion and love into your work is what matters most of all)

Its my AOTS (and possible AOTY if Fall doesn't bring something better), and its probably the best mecha I've seen in a while. It'll be hard to let this show go, but it went off gracefully, and I fully commend it for doing so.

10/10
Sep 27, 2016 6:30 AM
Oct 2010
Hayate/Freyja was definitely beyond friendship. One thing I am glad they did was nipped the triangle in the bud a while ago. Mirage having zero development didn't really make it suitable anyway and they showed quite a few scenes where she accepted that hayate was more inclined to Frejya and she tried to help their relationship get going instead of sniping at the wings

Turtles_Leader said:

Except that, the whole episode was "really". Naked people in space. When did macross enter the Gundam franchise? Anyway. This whole connecting scene was weird, and awkward. Seriously, I bursted out of laughter when Freyja finally confessed. And let's not talk about Mirage intervention. It was ridiculous. The macross gliding on water was cool though. And we got the logical couple at the end.

Now that you mentioned this, I didn't even make the connection. This ending is literally Evangelion and Gundam Unicorn's combined, if you've seen both you will know what I mean.
GD1551Sep 27, 2016 6:34 AM
Sep 27, 2016 6:46 AM

May 2008
So glad Freyja got Hayate in the end. I was always super salty that Alto chose Sheryl in Frontier and not Ranka. Don't care for the 'sex appeal' women in Macross at all. But I'm glad Delta had the main heroine with the hero.

7/10. Music was pretty good.

Sep 27, 2016 7:25 AM

Feb 2012
Welp, that was super rushed (and thus all the potentially emotional moments largely fell flat), but at least they wrapped everything up somewhat and Freyja got a little bit of happiness in the end.
Sep 27, 2016 7:38 AM

Oct 2015
silverwalls said:

Well help yourself she is gonna die sooner than expected anyway.

Fai said:
D-Joe said:

^This is correct.

Yeah but Macross 2 isn't considered cannon even by their creators so im going with this one for the worst position.

YK97 said:
FlamingMangos said:

Those of us who have been following Macross are the most hurt after all.
Sep 27, 2016 8:01 AM

Mar 2016
SaeLiuS said:
silverwalls said:

Well help yourself she is gonna die sooner than expected anyway.

Fai said:

^This is correct.

Yeah but Macross 2 isn't considered cannon even by their creators so im going with this one for the worst position.

YK97 said:

Those of us who have been following Macross are the most hurt after all.

Well, ofc we're sad. We waited 8 years for this and that's how Kawamori treats us. Producing a mediocre show with Satelight.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2015

447 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.