Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2016 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mikumo's singing...damn.

Episode was kinda rushed though and I do feel bad for her being used in a way that she felt uncomfortable with. The Hayate confession to Freyja though...who didn't see this coming? Lol. Same with Mirage's confession to Hayate.

Finally, they sung the first OP song again. WALKURE FOR LIFE. Lol Bogue saving them Also, Chuck's sister is alive!

Pretty solid show overall, a few of the episodes in the latter half...I had mixed thoughts about. However, the show itself was pretty good imo. 8/10.
Sep 25, 2016 7:02 AM
Dec 2011
Of course it's rushed, due to wasting time in early episodes, and the ending is very incomplete.

6/10 and that's thanks to they done a fine job in Freyja's development, otherwise it's not even 4/10.
Sep 25, 2016 7:14 AM
Jul 2016
Pretty fun ride....yeah rushed..but at least they give answer who win the triangle(and broke the macross "tradition")....

enjoy the first cour but second cour story become meh with lot of plot hole...

I really enjoy the idol stuff and love every character in this series...I also like the interaction between 2 mc in this... "more than friend not a lover" relationship between Hayate and Freyja

Solid 7/10 from me
SadistSenpaiSep 25, 2016 8:36 AM
Sep 25, 2016 7:59 AM

Jun 2015
URGGGGGGGGGG, nooooo... it ended....
i love Mikumo and Walkure, their songs are so enjoyable, it goes really well with dogfight scenes

this is the first Macross i ever watched, so these anime space stuffs are a bit interesting and new to me and i like the story

Personally i wanted it to focus more on main characters, rather than those Windemere dudes
but... still, im happy that i decided to watch this

7/10, but Walkure is 9999/10
Sep 25, 2016 8:21 AM

Nov 2008
I knew it all along Freyja would win, the factors were stacked in her favor.

8/10

It was a good ride but not as good as Plus, Frontier, or M7, the Walkure members are better characters compared to Ranka and Sheryl in Frontier.

Sep 25, 2016 8:38 AM

May 2013
At least Freyja win. yeah.
The ending is kinda rushed.
Sep 25, 2016 8:43 AM
Dec 2011
And yeah, HayaFre ending is complete make sense but unfortunately Mirage once again being used as supporting...nope not even supporting character anymore, just plot device NPC, same for Mikumo, same for Keith, when staff needs one of them, come here, when they're not needed, then they just being kicked out from the room.
Sep 25, 2016 8:54 AM

Feb 2008
Well Freyja life won't last very long thought but they sure can stay together for a bit.
Mirage had too little screentime with Hayate.

Episode felt kind of rushed but can't help it , anime will stay as 7/10 cause I love Walkure and music.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 25, 2016 8:56 AM
Aug 2016
Hmmm well for starters it missed a lot of necessary deaths. Regardless it gave a happy feeling instead of being afraid of urobutcher phenomena. I am glad the theoretical plot twist of Freyja having a good flow and eventually dying did not happen and she deserved this win a 1000 times more than Ranka(really dislike her till this day) going after Alto. Mirage...hmmm....well too bad for mirage shippers and tradition loyalists...LOL? But to be fair, she only existed to create most meh love rival with minimal screentime with love interest... either they make her a worthy rival or just drop her to mutual comrade from the start if they are just gonna "try" their best to satisfy the sponsors. (AS MASTER YODA SAID "DO OR DO NOT! THERE IS NO TRY")

Overall I am super happy that Mikumo did not die! YAY!(my fav char but Freyja is undoubtedly cuter, by like 1x10^12, than ranka whom i do not find cute at all...yea ranka is a big 0 to me). I am not sad for Keith dying though but it was satisfying to see Roid die but man ...that Bogue change of heart moment was a downer, I wanted him dead ._. I hope the movie will introduce more deaths though and settle Keith's and Hayate's rivalry. And yes...I am hoping for "favorite character gets killed urobutcher style" to happen more often like how Messer got butchered bloody well. Watched too many gen urobutchi anime till it seems that a character dying really leaves an impact(a good impact) if the character that dies happens to be important.

Also I hope that in the movie if there is a movie...hayate kills someone brutally for Freyja while protecting her (that is super romantic to me)It only feels romantic during the battles like this episode and most notably episode 18 where freyja's song made hayate go berserk ...birthday moments and sharing about father stuff seems friend material and seeing an old couple even though they contributed to the win.(somehow it didn't feel romantic for out of battle moments despite the blushing like it was forced. maybe the blushing was too little on hayate's part...? Or my heart is really cold? Or the pacing is at fault ? Or do i only care about mikumo? Alto and sheryl out of battle moments felt more romantic)

Pacing's not great...but good end i guess. solid 10 for making me happy overall DESPITE LARGE GLARING FLAWS IN IT in the second half till the end but hey i still like it . (This series is definitely better than the Macross Frontier TV series. Macross Frontier movies beats both delta and frontier TV series IMO.)

FOREVER HAIL MIKUMO~
alterzeroSep 26, 2016 4:09 AM
Sep 25, 2016 9:38 AM
Apr 2013
It would've been better if there's at least one more episode... Oh well, but I'm satisfied that they finally broke a tradition of the older girl always won instead of the younger girl in Macross series. A Happy Ending for Hayate x Freyja!
Sep 25, 2016 9:45 AM
Jul 2016
Worst...Macross...ever, bland characters, the love triangle was heavily one sided, and mech battles were mediocre at best. It was promising at the start then derailed at ep 14 and also the plot started strong then became questionable the furter they went. 3/10 for me.
Sep 25, 2016 10:39 AM

Sep 2012
The ending proved the traditions wrong. I would love to see those people's faces who relied soo much on tradition thinking Mirage will win.
Sep 25, 2016 10:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm trying to be positive about this but I can't. I love the Macross franchise, it means so much to me and I've had some of my best anime memories with some Macross stuff, but Delta is just a big, big disappointment. The first half, while not a classic, was ok, but all momentum was lost after episode 13.

Part of the problem has been the Knights. Worst Macross opponent in memory. Bland, repetitive and lacking absolutely in any kind of fear factor. Compare them to the Zentradi, the Vajra, heck even the Protodeviln or the Anti UN Forces.

Kawamori hasn't done anything decent in years and it shows. Satelight pumps one forgettable show after another.

Since I don't want to be Debbie Downer, I'll give Delta one compliment. They gave the love triangle a proper, unambimguous resolution. None of that "you're my wings" crap.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 25, 2016 10:50 AM

Sep 2012
Farabeuf said:
I'm trying to be positive about this but I can't. I love the Macross franchise, it means so much to me and I've had some of my best anime memories with some Macross stuff, but Delta is just a big, big disappointment. The first half, while not a classic, was ok, but all momentum was lost after episode 13.

Part of the problem has been the Knights. Worst Macross opponent in memory. Bland, repetitive and lacking absolutely in any kind of fear factor. Compare them to the Zentradi, the Vajra, heck even the Protodeviln or the Anti UN Forces.

Kawamori hasn't done anything decent in years and it shows. Satelight pumps one forgettable show after another.

Since I don't want to be Debbie Downer, I'll give Delta one compliment. They gave the love triangle a proper, unambimguous resolution. None of that "you're my wings" crap.

I think your nostalgia is affecting your overall enjoyment for the show.
Sep 25, 2016 10:51 AM

Sep 2015
Freyja win, sad that she cannot live long and knowing this Hayate will still be with her all the way. Maybe Mirage will be the 2nd wife thru time maybe in 10 years or 20 after Freyja pass on. I do want to see everyone has a happy life.

This episode can actually be split to 2 episode instead? The pace is actually faster than normal.

The tradition has broken eventhou Freyja life is short, in a sense equating windemere to human life Freyja might be older than Hayate? If Hayate forever love Freyja, I'm fine with that.
valvravetruthSep 25, 2016 11:40 AM
Sep 25, 2016 10:54 AM

Sep 2012
valvravetruth said:
Freyja win, sad that she cannot live long and knowing this Hayate will still be with her all the way. Maybe Mirage will be the 2nd wife thru time after Freyja pass on.

This episode can actually be split to 2 episode instead? The pace is actually faster than normal.

2nd wife? Are you this serious? Do you underestimate love and shame this much? You don't think Mirage will feel any shame being with the guy that lost his gf and that gf is also her best friend who died a horrible death? You don't think Hayate's love for Freyja is that strong that he just moves on and goes out with his best friend, Mirage?
Sep 25, 2016 11:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
FlamingMangos said:
Farabeuf said:

I think your nostalgia is affecting your overall enjoyment for the show.

Good point, but I really don't think it's the case. If this had been a non Macross show I might have dropped it sometime around episodes 16, 17. Just objectively, it's not very good. Lookin at reviews and most peoples opinions left and right I can see that I'm not alone in that pattern of thought. It's not really a surprise that the show turned out like this considering it was meant to be a one cour show and once principal writing had started they decided to make a two cour.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 25, 2016 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
Weeelllll I suppose they did break the "tradition" but if you equate the Windermerian age expectancy and the human age expectancy, Freyja would be hellovalot older XD
Sep 25, 2016 11:33 AM

Sep 2015
FlamingMangos said:
2nd wife? Are you this serious? Do you underestimate love and shame this much? You don't think Mirage will feel any shame being with the guy that lost his gf and that gf is also her best friend who died a horrible death? You don't think Hayate's love for Freyja is that strong that he just moves on and goes out with his best friend, Mirage?

You watch too much anime really== and you need to relax. Taking a 2nd wife especially best friend with the husband and wife is common in real life. Plus I never said Hayate to take 2nd wife immediately, i did point out "thru time" means anything is possible. One true love is good and taking a 2nd time is not a shame at all, apologize to all the husband who marriage the 2nd time. Its called move on bro.

You are the one that underestimate love and shame at the same time. You need to think 1st then write and whats with the "horrible death" in your post, You are seriously imagining even worse than what I post out. Horrible death, really?

Under the scenario of Freyja last moment, she can actually ask Mirage to take care of Hayate whether as a best friend or wife and maybe even ask Hayate to marry Mirage. From then on its up to Hayate, 1 year or 10 years, a new love is possible. If that happens both Hayete Mirage will of course forever remember the love of Freyja, thats the bonds those 3 shared together. IF Hayate continue to only have one true love, then in fine with that.
valvravetruthSep 25, 2016 11:41 AM
Sep 25, 2016 11:48 AM
Jul 2016
chest267 said:
Weeelllll I suppose they did break the "tradition" but if you equate the Windermerian age expectancy and the human age expectancy, Freyja would be hellovalot older XD

haha nc twist from Kawamori...Broke the what so called "tradition" but at the same time not broke it...
Sep 25, 2016 12:37 PM

May 2016
YESSS..we got a Hayate & Freyja ending as I wished.. Kawamori sensei thank you T^T you really did a good job on writing their relationship <=

And we even got a confirmation from Hayate side that he loves Freyja (the confession), I couldn't ask for more XD

Now I can remember some who says that they're like a brother & sister relationship & they don't see the love from Hayate side >_> not to mention that some uses the marcorss tradition as an excuse to argue with us!! BUT our lovely Freyja has broken all of that XD

I loved the ending and that nobody did die from our main characters, it's good to keep all of them for the movie if it's possible ^^ but this episode & the fight were rushed way too much -_-''

Enjoyed the anime overall & one of the macross best shows in my opinion..9 of 10 for me ^^
Sep 25, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2007
Officially worst macross.

I guess he had to make a macross where DogHairRanka wins to appease the fanbois who were salty that actual better option won in Frontier. Well at least Freya will die soon, so Hayate won't h ave to suffer the genki girl syndrome forever.

I wish that was the ony problem with this show. But Delta has way too many problems
- Mirage got robbed of characterization. Considering her family backstory and everything she got nothing.
- We know literally nothing about most of characters in the show. Even the supposed main love interest Freya has literally nothing going for her except "I am really happy all t he time and really love singing y'all!!11oneone". Even Ranka, with all of her insufferable personality had more effort put into her.
- Hayate is a non-character. He started interesting and then NOTHING happened to his character. What are his beliefs? Does he have beliefs? How did he change? We know nothing. The fact that he randomly confesses to a girl without showing any emotions towards any of them till now just highlights the problem.
- The whole second half of the show baring few episodes was a trainwrecky mess.
- This had worst villains Macross ever had. Literally. Could not give a shit about Windies at all.

8/10 for first half of the show
4/10 for second half of the show.
Overall rating: 5/10

P.S Any newcomers to the franchise - just go watch Macross Frontier. It is far more satisfying and fulfilling experience than this mess. It still has songs and all the mecha fighting alongside those songs, but it also happens to have actual complex characters, a protagonist with a personal journey, a good romance and actually well done pacing.

Farabeuf said:

Agreed. This had a lot of promise but in the end it went out with a fart instead of a bang. Really disappointed. I'd rather rewatch Macross 7 again than this. At least that one had Jam Project songs despite it's flaws.

I guess Macross franchise really is dead.
AhenshihaelSep 25, 2016 12:46 PM
Sep 25, 2016 12:53 PM

Nov 2014
I just saw the raws, but well in my case i feel like a won the lottery, because against all predictions we have a FreFrexHayaHaya ending. After of 18 episodes with the mention in the show about Windemere die young (thats sucks when the show tell you maybe Freyja die at the end of show).

But i still feel is like a open ending about the triangle here, after the end of the series everything is in the imagination of fans. Maybe you guys got a HayatexMirage, or we a Hayate traveling for the galaxy with just a music player with Freyja songs, 2 posibilities, and great material for facfiction.

Ps. Sorry for my horrible english.
Sep 25, 2016 12:56 PM

Jun 2013
Very dull ending. How unfortunate, I was hoping for something unexpected.
Sep 25, 2016 1:03 PM

May 2016
Fai said:

I guess he had to make a macross where DogHairRanka wins to appease the fanbois who were salty that actual better option won in Frontier. Well at least Freya will die soon, so Hayate won't h ave to suffer the genki girl syndrome forever.

I wish that was the ony problem with this show. But Delta has way too many problems
- Mirage got robbed of characterization. Considering her family backstory and everything she got nothing.
- We know literally nothing about most of characters in the show
- Hayate is a non-character. He started interesting and then NOTHING happened to his character. What are his beliefs? Does he have beliefs? How did he change? We know nothing. The fact that he randomly confesses to a girl without showing any emotions towards any of them till now just highlights the problem.
- This had worst villains Macross ever had. Literally. Could not give a shit about Windies at all.

P.S Any newcomers to the franchise - just go watch Macross Frontier. It is far more satisfying and fulfilling experience than this mess. It still has songs and all the mecha fighting alongside those songs, but it also happens to have actual complex characters, a protagonist with a personal journey, a good romance and actually well done pacing.

Farabeuf said:

Agreed. This had a lot of promise but in the end it went out with a fart instead of a bang. Really disappointed. I'd rather rewatch Macross 7 again than this. At least that one had Jam Project songs despite it's flaws.

every one had his own taste so I won't argue with you..

However, for me I tried to watch Marcoss F but I couldn't like any of the main characters (either Ranka or Shearyl) and Hated Alto the most..because he blushes way too much and it's like he will blush with any girl..doesn't have resolution, as a male character, he should be stronger emotionally.. So I tried to watched up to ep 13 then I stopped .On the other hand, Delta has attracted my eyes since ep 1 with cool main characters and unique character design.. it was simple & direct in my opinion..

you might be right about the slow pace in developing Hayate's character, but to me he was satisfying.. we got to know his feeling toward his father issue and how they chose the same path as a pilot.. & how Freyja songs has been affected him from good to bad.. but we didn't actually know the reason (or maybe I have missed this part somehow from the series)
Sep 25, 2016 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
Fai said:

- We know literally nothing about most of characters in the show. Even the supposed main love interest Freya has literally nothing going for her except "I am really happy all t he time and really love singing y'all!!11oneone". Even Ranka, with all of her insufferable personality had more effort put into her.

This is said by the person who support bad writing like tradition. The hypocrisy. How much do you want to bet that you would have a lot more positive impression on the show if it followed traditions? You can clearly see the salt in your post.

Fai said:

"Please watch Macross Frontier because it follows traditions unlike Delta!"
Sep 25, 2016 1:59 PM

Sep 2010
Hayate has been in love with Freyja since their meeting. That's how the novelization of Delta portrays it. There isn't big surprise about who he'll choose. Oh I wouldn't count on Hayate moving on, he promised to Freyja they'll ALWAYS be together before vanishing together into the stars. There's no other girl in his eyes (and the novel makes it obvious), Freyja gave him a reason to live and enjoy life. It was never a crush or something shallow, she became his life.

(Still, it would have been more meaningful this would have been left platonic, because you can love someone like this without being in love with them, but eh... it's fine).

Freyja was great as usual. Walkure love made me tear up, specially when Mikumo said she wanted to sing with them.

I had called out most of the resolution of Windermere plot (not that the director didn't spoil it already in the Febri magazine. He pretty much said it'll be up to Heinz and Keith and lo, it was up to Heinz and Keith).

The only big surprise this episode was that Mirage's even worse written character than I've thought. Truly a miracle of how to even lower the little expectations I had of her.

FlamingMangos said:
"Please watch Macross Frontier because it follows traditions unlike Delta!"

Hayate and Freyja were basically younger and optimistic versions of Alto and Sheryl. I have no clue what they are on about. Their bond is basically a recycled Alto/Sheryl of the movies (the one KAWAMORI wrote). Even down their fateful childhood connection, mutual inspiration to embrace their dreams, and resonance through fold quartz.
ThessSep 25, 2016 2:04 PM
Sep 25, 2016 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
6/10.
So lackluster compared to the other Macross series... Just slightly disappointed since this series had nothing special to appeal and didn't capture my attention at all.
Hard to explain but unlike other macross series this one didn't get me "hooked".

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Sep 25, 2016 3:45 PM

Jul 2007
Thess said:

Hayate and Freyja were basically younger and optimistic versions of Alto and Sheryl. I have no clue what they are on about. Their bond is basically a recycled Alto/Sheryl of the movies (the one KAWAMORI wrote). Even down their fateful childhood connection, mutual inspiration to embrace their dreams, and resonance through fold quartz.

Alto and Sheryl had motivations and personalities. The motivations that changed and developed. They had flaws, they made mistakes, they changed over the course of show.

Hayate is pretty much a blank slate self insert. He had something going for him at the start, but past Messer's death t here's absolutely zero character development for him.
Freya is pretty much a mary sue whose only identifiable trait is that she REALLY loves singing. Unlike Ranka, who at least had flaws even if she was just as insuferable, Freya has no identity beyond liking to sing.

They are nothing similar.
Sep 25, 2016 4:03 PM
Dec 2011
FlamingMangos said:
The ending proved the traditions wrong. I would love to see those people's faces who relied soo much on tradition thinking Mirage will win.

Broke a tradition by gave the other characters bad written treatment. such confidence.
Sep 25, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2010
Fai said:
Alto and Sheryl had motivations and personalities. The motivations that changed and developed. They had flaws, they made mistakes, they changed over the course of show.

Alto's core and Sheryl's core motivations NEVER CHANGED. Alto wanted to fly. Sheryl wanted to sing. This remained the same. The only thing that change is that they matured what they should fly for and sing for. Exactly like Freyja and Hayate. In fact, I'll say Freyja and Hayate became more mature than them because they wanted to sing and fly to protect the galaxy, neither Alto nor Sheryl became so selfless (but mind you, Sheryl is, with Misa, my favorite Macross girl, Freyja's up there with them. Such unexpectedly enjoyable heroine).

Freyja and Hayate also had personalities. They had carefree ones instead of ones consumed by angst like Alto and Sheryl because the tone of the show was less about melodrama. You should re-watch the movies because all what was done with Freyja and Hayate is a rehearse of Sheryl and Alto there. Everything.

Kawamori reuses their troupes. They are diet/lite versions of Alto/Sheryl relationship.

Hayate is pretty much a blank slate self-insert. He had something going for him at the start, but past Messer's death t here's absolutely zero character development for him.

What? No, he's not. The only protagonist of Macross who might be a blank slate is Shinn... Hayate is a carefree guy who was an aimless and didn't enjoy life until he met Freyja. He changed because of Freyja and he started to be more friend and responsible and actually developed a sense of duty and dreams because of her, his inspiration. Hayate didn't have friends or cared where he lived and worked or even visited his mother. He had ran away from his family and was burdened by the shadow of the death of a parent that his love interest reminded him off.

Alto = mommy issues = inserts them in Sheryl.
Hayate = daddy issues = inserts them in Freyja.

He's got too much of a personality, dreams, aspirations and actual dislikes/likes to be a blank slate. You're just insulting him because he wasn't your self insert in favoring the girl you liked.

Freya is pretty much a mary sue whose only identifiable trait is that she REALLY loves singing. Unlike Ranka, who at least had flaws even if she was just as insuferable, Freya has no identity beyond liking to sing.

Freyja is a flawed girl who developed through all the show. She loved singing, so what? So did Sheryl. She loved singing because it BROUGHT HAPPINESS to the people around her during the time they were bombed, so she associated singing with ease people's pain and bring them (and herself) happiness. It's a girl who struggled to find her reason to sing in a war, who acknowledged she turned against her planet because she couldn't approve what they did, who UNLIKE Ranka wasn't given anything on silver platter. Ranka was hand held by Sheryl by everyone around her. Freyja got to deal with Mikumo treating her harshly, people thinking she was a traitor/spy and her intentions to sing second guessed all the time. She failed to do some things, got up and tried again (like how she failed to convince Heinz in episode 24 but succeeded in episode 26).

So nope, wrong. Freyja was like Sheryl: gutsy determinate, uncaring to risk her life for what she believed in. Except unlike Sheryl she didn't get plot magic to do away her problems. I'll say Sheryl was more mary sue for this.

Meanwhile Mirage was like Ranka, shy, timid and introvert girl who was afraid to enjoy her passion and brooded too much. Third wheel syndrome. Just like Ranka she never quite had any hardship except her own dumb self doubt, while Freyja, just like Sheryl, faced to real problems: facing her own people (galaxy/windermere), her health, her singing somewhat (bringing pain to Hayate/musical career in danger). I'll give her she was more mature than Ranka (except movie Ranka), because she was slot as the main's couple "older sis' figure rather than 'lil sister" figure.

They are nothing similar.

You're just salty that your horse lost the race and was completely irrelevant as a character, but no Freyja has a lot of Sheryl traits (and some of Ranka, but just superficial: her role as Mikumo's kohai, though their plot roles are reversed, she saved Mikumo who landed on a brainwashed singer of Doom plot in the end like Ranka did).

Anyway, as many others pointed out, Kawamori didn't want a love triangle. Originally Delta was about pilots boosted by their singers. Mirage was obviously awkwardly inserted and out of place because of this. The show would have been better if they haven't forced a character like Mirage, and focus the main triangle in say, Kaname, Messer and Arad.
ThessSep 25, 2016 4:20 PM
Sep 25, 2016 5:02 PM

Jul 2007
D-Joe said:
FlamingMangos said:

Broke a tradition by gave the other characters bad written treatment. such confidence.

^This so much.

The show did not "break tradition". It broke common sense of writing in most of this second half of the show. There were moments that were great(like the ep where Mikumo's role in macross universe was explained), but the rest feels like "let's just wing it randomly".

"Different" does not always mean good. In this case the show broke narrative writing itself.

The comparison that someone made to Gundam Seed Destiny is so freaking apt.
Sep 25, 2016 5:27 PM

Sep 2012
Fai said:
D-Joe said:

^This so much.

The show did not "break tradition". It broke common sense of writing in most of this second half of the show. There were moments that were great(like the ep where Mikumo's role in macross universe was explained), but the rest feels like "let's just wing it randomly".

"Different" does not always mean good. In this case the show broke narrative writing itself.

You keep going on about bad writing while talking about traditions which is hilarious.

D-Joe said:
FlamingMangos said:

Yes, because relying on traditions so, your favorite girl automatically wins isn't considered bad writing at all. Such confidence. I'm sorry but talking about how bad or well written Mirage is, is irrelevant when the outcome will be the same. It's rather funny because let's say Mirage wins after all. If we're talking about writing here. How would that ever be considered good writing? It's hilarious how in denial you guys are.
FlamingMangosSep 25, 2016 5:39 PM
Sep 25, 2016 5:35 PM

Sep 2010
Sounds like "BAWWW my bland pilot girl didn't win a love triangle, so it's bad!" There was never a fair love triangle. The story wasn't even connected to the love triangle that much considering Keith and Heinz are more plot important than Hayate.
Sep 25, 2016 5:49 PM

Jul 2007
Thess said:
Sounds like "BAWWW my bland pilot girl didn't win a love triangle, so it's bad!" There was never a fair love triangle. The story wasn't even connected to the love triangle that much considering Keith and Heinz are more plot important than Hayate.

There was no triangle.

Hayate became a noncharacter. No display of any interests or affections at all.
Freya just loves to sing y'all
Mirage got no focus

Hayate getting together with Mikumo would make as much sense as what happened. At least Mikumo had a tangible and real personality unlike rest of hte casst who just were there. That's how bad the plot and writing was. Writing quality has nothing to do with the tumblr tween shipping nonsense. "baaaw ships" is as good of an argument as it was when majority people rightfully called trashy shows like Kiznaiver trash. Alas this was significantly worse than Tumblrnaiver.
Sep 25, 2016 5:52 PM
Dec 2011
FlamingMangos said:
Fai said:

^This so much.

You keep going on about bad writing while talking about traditions which is hilarious.

D-Joe said:

Yes, because relying on traditions so, your favorite girl automatically wins isn't considered bad writing at all. Such confidence. I'm sorry but talking about how bad or well written Mirage is, is irrelevant when the outcome will be the same. It's rather funny because let's say Mirage wins after all. If we're talking about writing here. How would that ever be considered good writing? It's hilarious how in denial you guys are.

Yup, even Mirage wins in current status, it would be still bad written, the fact that some of you thinking win or lose is matter for this bad writing problem is freaking funny.
I'm not sure what i even denial? her writing is bad no matter what, what is this have to do with the triangle? it's so funny that you guys always think character fans and shipping fans are same group of people, which is not and never.
Irrelevant? they create the character, they need to take responds to it, or that will become one of the reason make the show bad, plain and simpl, also, do you really think Mirage is the only problem of this show? no, it just one of the problems, and not even the biggest problem.
D-JoeSep 25, 2016 9:47 PM
Sep 25, 2016 5:57 PM
Dec 2011
Fai said:
Thess said:

There was no triangle.

Mirage got no focus

Hayate getting together with Mikumo would make as much sense as what happened. At least Mikumo had a tangible and real personality unlike rest of hte casst who just were there. That's how bad the plot and writing was. Writing quality has nothing to do with the tumblr tween shipping nonsense. "baaaw ships" is as good of an argument as it was when majority people rightfully called trashy shows like Kiznaiver trash. Alas this was significantly worse than Tumblrnaiver.

Pretty sure if Mikumo replace Mirage, she would just beomce Mirage 2.0, so don't think about it, current role for Mikumo is better.
Sep 25, 2016 6:10 PM
Nov 2012
It was just as i expected rushed. Hayate & Freyja was just meh felt it happened because it was the final episode evn when it looked like hayate magically developed feelings out of nowhere, don't really care about mirage every moment felt forced between her & Hayate.
Sep 25, 2016 6:29 PM

Mar 2016
Just watched the RAW and I don't think watching the sub version would give me a better impression of the series.

This ending is even more bland than Sayonnara no Tsubasa's ending where everyone goes into a sort of trouble.

This is the worst Macross of the franchise that I have watched. I had high hopes for this one you know... Even with the idol group thing, I thought I was going to get my Valkyrie 3 mode actions like in Frontier but noooope. I got a macross version of Top gun... Why.... I thought Plus and Zero already did a good job of that... I don't need another one like that.

The deaths feel incredibly cheap due to poor character writing/development.

Characters are bland and shell of cliche personalities,

Visual quality dropped drastically in the last episode.

Rehashing old songs in an attempt to grab old fans.

Verdict: bad planning. I thought for an terrible ending, Frontier TV run, would be in the bottom with the last few minutes of the ending of M7. But, Delta ending give me the air of an closure to a overall mediocre-bad show that had the potential to score new heights if it wasn't suffering from bad planning all along.

First half, it wasn't great nor awful but Messer cheap death knock it down to a 5/10.

Second half, it didn't seem they plan this at all but rather, they try miserably to give personality to their shell-like characters. Try to amend for their terrible plot and try to wrap the show with the little resources that are left at their hands. 4/10

4.5/10... I don't know how to feel about this... I feel sad...

For my checklist:
- didn't get mind blowing fluid 3-mode Valkyrie battle. Got waterdown top gun instead.
- Few ok songs (Hametsu no Junjou, Giraffe Blue, Bokura no Senjou), but overall, damn forgettable since those who have watched all the others series have been spoiled by grand masters.

I waited 8 years for this... THIS. Dreamed of getting some mindblowing Valkyries with some awesome packs. What I got is an improved version of the VF30 with only 1 pack+ barely enough screentime... Time to see what Bandai will do with the kits and maybe get them on clearance + custom paintjob.... sign...
Sep 25, 2016 7:14 PM

Sep 2010
Heh. All these people claiming that Hayate didn't have interest or feelings and came out 'nowhere'. Here. If wasn't obvious for episodes 16-17 when he finally realizes. From Macross Delta novel (volume 1):

looked like the girl might run, so Hayate quickly seized her arm. That wasn't the complete reason he did so, but he didn’t quite realize that and couldn’t explain why he would do so. He just did it. And in holding her slender arm, he felt as if he had stepped out of the darkness and into a blinding ray of light.

The girl’s words, her smile, her eyes...they all made Hayate’s heart beat faster. That was all.

It wasn’t like he was stalking her...

Hayate fell in love with Freyja since the beginning. Before she loved him back (her reaction to him was "who the heck is this creeper and why is he stalking me?"). He wasn't self-aware until Mirage questioned his feelings and he suddenly had his epiphany.

Then the plot simply put obstacles to delay this. The director even explained that they put obstacles to separate Freyja and Hayate after their love realization in one of the interviews. The feelings were resolved earlier.

There were numerous of writing problems in Delta, the triangle (at least the Hayate/Freyja relationship) isn't one of them. They established them quite early as a symbolic bond between two species at war, in fact, Mirage was the one who paralleled them with her grandparents. Mirage always shipped them, I feel, and she was pretty confused and shocked she fell for Hayate, so it conflicted with her view of things.
Sep 25, 2016 7:15 PM
Dec 2011
Thess said:
Heh. All these people claiming that Hayate didn't have interest or feelings and came out 'nowhere'. Here. If wasn't obvious for episodes 16-17 when he finally realizes. From Macross Delta novel (volume 1):

looked like the girl might run, so Hayate quickly seized her arm. That wasn't the complete reason he did so, but he didn’t quite realize that and couldn’t explain why he would do so. He just did it. And in holding her slender arm, he felt as if he had stepped out of the darkness and into a blinding ray of light.

The girl’s words, her smile, her eyes...they all made Hayate’s heart beat faster. That was all.

It wasn’t like he was stalking her...

Hayate fell in love with Freyja since the beginning. Before she loved him back (her reaction to him was "who the heck is this creeper and why is he stalking me?"). He wasn't self-aware until Mirage questioned his feelings and he suddenly had his epiphany.

Then the plot simply put obstacles to delay this. The director even explained that they put obstacles to separate Freyja and Hayate after their love realization in one of the interviews. The feelings were resolved earlier.

Novel is Novel, Anime is Anime.
Sep 25, 2016 7:15 PM

Jul 2007
D-Joe said:
Fai said:

There was no triangle.

Mirage got no focus

Pretty sure if Mikumo replace Mirage, she would just beomce Mirage 2.0, so don't think about it, current role for Mikumo is better.

It would still be as random as what we got tho. And unlike Mirage or everyfuckingbody else, at least Mikumo had SOME focus and development.
AhenshihaelSep 25, 2016 7:24 PM
Sep 25, 2016 7:16 PM

Sep 2010
D-Joe said:

Same story, same developments. Hayate was in love with Freyja in the anime too. That's why he changed from an aimless bum to follow her to Ragna when he has never grown attached to people before.

Mirage noticed it though. And so did Mikumo. Hayate noticed it after episode 16.

Director Yasuda already spoke. Hayate realized he loved Freyja in episode 16 ending. But confessing right after finding out his dad bombed her planet was a bad idea, hmm?

Novel is just unambiguous since the start. The same author of Frontier novels who never really hide Sheryl/Alto were a couple.
Sep 25, 2016 7:34 PM

Jun 2013
Food for thought: if Kawamori isn't lying again like he did with Frontier, THIS abomination is going to be the series that the legendary Macross franchise goes out on. How unfortunate.
Sep 25, 2016 7:36 PM
Dec 2011
Fai said:
D-Joe said:

It would still be as random as what we got tho. And unlike Mirage or everyfuckingbody else, at least Mikumo had SOME focus and development.

Nah, they would just gave Mikumo's setting to someone else, make sure she won't have any setting/main plot advantage compare to Freyja.
Sep 25, 2016 7:38 PM
Dec 2011
Thess said:
D-Joe said:

Same story, same developments. Hayate was in love with Freyja in the anime too. That's why he changed from an aimless bum to follow her to Ragna when he has never grown attached to people before.

Mirage noticed it though. And so did Mikumo. Hayate noticed it after episode 16.

Director Yasuda already spoke. Hayate realized he loved Freyja in episode 16 ending. But confessing right after finding out his dad bombed her planet was a bad idea, hmm?

Novel is just unambiguous since the start. The same author of Frontier novels who never really hide Sheryl/Alto were a couple.

I say again and i won't change my mind: Novel is Novel, Anime is Anime.
Just because it's better in Novel doesn't mean i should feel the same in anime, different media, different view.
Sep 25, 2016 7:39 PM

Mar 2016
ex_necross said:
Food for thought: if Kawamori isn't lying again like he did with Frontier, THIS abomination is going to be the series that the legendary Macross franchise goes out on. How unfortunate.

He won't be making more Macross? That's a shame....
Sep 25, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2016
D-Joe said:
Thess said:

I say again and i won't change my mind: Novel is Novel, Anime is Anime.
Just because it's better in Novel doesn't mean i should feel the same in anime, different media, different view.

I agree. Novel interpretation are just different from anime. Just look at how Re:Zero was handle. Anime was quite good but for those who read the web novel and such, it's garbage to them.
Sep 25, 2016 7:46 PM

Jul 2007
YK97 said:
ex_necross said:

At this point thats for the better. Just let it die. At least it wont get worse. It is said that it will end on this kind of trash tho.
Sep 25, 2016 8:03 PM

Jun 2013
YK97 said:
ex_necross said:

Well he said the same thing with Frontier and I believe previous ones as well. So, there's no guarantee. But with the poor reception of Delta and the low sales compared to previous Macross, it would seem this is truly it. (after the inevitable Delta movie of course).
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2015

447 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM

» Would this be appealing to someone who watched Macross Frontier only and loved it?

kUshPandA_ENJOi - Oct 9, 2017

7 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.