Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2016 9:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
While the coach is pretty tough, I think his intentions are for the good.

Takumi's rebellious attitude is still a bit evident though. Meanwhile, we got some baseball practice going on. And I have to say, they need to work on teamwork a bit more.

The home run though! Also kinda liked how the episode reflected more of the melancholic mood.
Stark700Aug 18, 2016 10:09 AM
Aug 18, 2016 1:23 PM

Jul 2015
takumi obviously held back at his last throw because he thought Go couldnt catch it. well maybe hes right. this could get interesting
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Aug 18, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
I'm assuming Go got mad at Takumi because he held back on that last pitch resulting in a home run?
We only got 5 episodes left and we have yet to have an actual game. The show will probably end with the exhibition match. I gotta say I really hate the captain hopefully he gets hit by a truck or something just what a piece of shit he is.
Aug 18, 2016 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
The coach is being so tough!
Aug 18, 2016 1:49 PM

Jun 2014
Lol, four-eyes is pretty pathetic if he's quitting over a petty reason like that. What a joke.

Judging by how doubtful Takumi looked when Go said his hand was shaking from excitement, I'm going to assume he held back on that last pitch because he thought Go couldn't handle it. And look what that resulted in....a home run.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 18, 2016 2:16 PM
Nov 2015
Still going strong. (Kind of. Well, not really, because nothing has happened.)

F*ck the glasses kid, seriously. And we got to see Takumi actually has human emotions when he went a little easier on that last pitch. I knew it was coming, but good nonetheless.

3/5

Dat graph is wack
Aug 18, 2016 2:18 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The baseball team is going to change Takumi a bit to the better. He has the chance to get his team to fight them.

Go couldn't catch Takumi fast throw and he held back afterwards, oh man. He definitely is showing more emotion and empathy now.
Aug 18, 2016 3:05 PM

May 2015
Bye bye vice-captain. No one's going to miss you. Lol.

Gotta say, this episode was good, especially that ending. Looks like Takumi held back at the last throw.... This is certainly getting interesting.

Aug 18, 2016 4:46 PM

Sep 2015
ooh a new ending, pretty good too
Nobunishi left ! Now they just have to delete Seiha and it will be great
Aug 18, 2016 5:12 PM

Dec 2012
Heated exchange with the Coach.

Well Nobunishi quit the team.

That was a fast pitch at the end.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Aug 18, 2016 5:49 PM

Aug 2015
It woulda been better if they just ended it in that last fast pitch Go couldn't catch. 3/5
Aug 18, 2016 6:48 PM

Oct 2011
new ending 😍
Takumi held back omg
Aug 18, 2016 9:45 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode, Takumi is still as defiant as ever.

The coach is still looking to be the absolute monarch of the team which is why Takumi still remains as defiant and the previous incidents are not helping. The coach does make some good points about how Takumi only plays for himself and doesn't think about the team.

Nobunishi quit the team, Well that was a stupid reason to quit.

The 2nd pitch to that guy was awesome, I could feel the speed/ :3
Takumi held back on the 3rd one cause Go dropped the ball and saw his hands shivering. This should prove interesting, Did Takumi lose faith in Go? Go was pretty mad there at the end.
Aug 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Nov 2012
bye nobunishi, no one is going to miss you.
Aug 19, 2016 9:33 AM

Jan 2012
Mc is such an arrogant brat... it's started to seriously grates on my nerves.
Aug 19, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2014
Well... at least he got to throw the ball
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Aug 19, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2013
Wow!!! The art and animation are impressive. This is exactly what I'm expecting. Dynamics, good shading, excellent backgrounds, details in general nad 0% 3DCG shit. Awesome work.
Nice ending song.
rsc-plAug 19, 2016 12:30 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 19, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 2008
No offense to anyone, but ya'll are so dense lol

Since ep 2 it's been established that Gou can't catch Takumis pitches so I don't know why some of you are surprised?

I know this will offend some people but it's clear that Takumi is feeling some type of way towards Gou.
Aug 19, 2016 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
The atmosphere in this is always weirdly dreadful.
Finally a proper dual.
Aug 19, 2016 7:27 PM

Oct 2008
Looks like Kadowaki is too tough for them two...
4/5.

Aug 20, 2016 5:04 AM

Nov 2009
Not nearly enough baseball, but it's choke-full of forced drama. Most characters are insufferable brats in how they act (even some adult ones, like Otomurai - I mean, who the hell cares if a kid has long bangs, who is he to order a student to cut them, let along shave his head, he's got the baseball club and army confused or something?), with the MC being the worst of all - it's been 6 eps, more than half the show already, but he' s showing no sign of improvement in his ways or thinking and attitude. Moreover, his bullheadedness, obsession with throwing fast over anything and complete and utter disregard of the team reminds me of Furuya from Daiya no A, and this is NOT a good thing, at all. Overall, I gotta say I'm disappointed in this show.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 20, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2012
I felt bad for his mom
Aug 20, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2013
thank god he resigned
Aug 21, 2016 12:35 AM

Jun 2013
Good episode, kind of sad about the ending though.
Aug 21, 2016 8:58 AM

Dec 2012
This anime is so good, too bad that we need to wait one week after each episode.
I'm enjoying more and more Takumi's interactions with Gou, the coach and the other members.
He understood that Gou couldn't catch it and threw a slower ball, even if the team relies on him. I don't know if it was a good choice or not.
Aug 22, 2016 4:02 PM

Jul 2009
Jesus this anime is really making a point for portraying Takumi's mother badly. As soon as the episode starts we get more complaining from her. But Takumi knocking her hand away like that when I finally thought they were having a moment was too much. Poor mother. He seriously has some issues. Does he like know he's sick or something? Overreacting that much to a gentle touch? And the grandpa is something else too-.-

Nobunishi, no one gives a shit about you. Leave.

Also that end. Gou realizing he still hasn't caught Takumi's best and then Takumi losing faith like that and throwing a little gentler. But damn Gou you don't have to rush at him.

LiquidGold said:
I gotta say I really hate the captain hopefully he gets hit by a truck or something just what a piece of shit he is.

Kaionji? Or did you mean Nobunishi, because he's the vice-captain.
Aug 22, 2016 4:21 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Good riddance with Nobunishi. If you're going to quit because you hate some guy who honestly hasn't done much to you (except when Takumi "accidentally" hit him while pitching), despite pushing yourself to keep playing baseball all these years, then it's your own loss. If Takumi wanted to quit because of Nobunishi, that would make more sense, as he was physically bullied.

It's weird because I don't usually like defiant/arrogant characters, but with Takumi, I feel like it makes sense. The coach is kind of arrogant as well, at least towards Takumi, and I understand that Takumi wants his skills and effort to be recognized, in that he will be the one to bring the coach to the nationals. What's different I guess between Takumi and other characters like him is that he does have the skills to back up his big talk. His pitching is consistently accurate. Teamwork or not, it's honestly only up to Gou to be able to improve as part of the battery. I do feel bad for Gou on that last pitch though, because if that's what Takumi decided to do in a real match, they would've fallen behind. And if I were Gou, it would've felt as if Takumi was looking down on me, even if that's not what Takumi was necessarily doing.

I'm just wondering what's with Takumi's attitude to his mother, she wasn't being annoying by telling him to quit baseball anymore. I wonder if something had happened in the past that makes Takumi have this attitude with his mother, or that's just how he is...also with the pitching arm and shoulder, he's incredibly overprotective of it, there has to be a reason right?

New ED is beautiful, the song is more melancholy though in comparison to the former relaxing ED. I wonder what Seiha's role is in this series? He's been a significant presence in both EDs, and in the new one, he was crying.
Aug 23, 2016 4:18 PM

Feb 2012
Inugirlz said:

LiquidGold said:
I gotta say I really hate the captain hopefully he gets hit by a truck or something just what a piece of shit he is.

Yea I meant the vice-captain my mistake.
Aug 23, 2016 7:27 PM

Jul 2009
LiquidGold said:
Inugirlz said:

Yea I meant the vice-captain my mistake.

lol ok, I was just wondering if there was a reason to hate Kaionji that much.
Aug 24, 2016 11:15 PM

Oct 2011
Got to say, I really am loving this anime. It's pretty refreshing to see a show really focusing on the characters and the psychology rather than just completely on the sport. I know a lot of people are complaining about the forced drama, but I haven't felt it. They're all in middle school, what middle school kid isn't extra emotional and sensitive?

And I've seen a lot of people talk about how slow the pacing is. I think the pacing is perfect personally. This anime isn't about baseball in the strict sense, but more on the characters. If you want baseball you should probably be watching another baseball anime.

The episode was just as good as the other ones. I have a feeling this is going to be one of my top favorite anime.
Sep 4, 2016 7:38 AM

Jun 2009
I'm glad Nobunishi left. I'm definitely not going to miss him. And I keep wondering if something happened between Takumi and his mom in the past. Every time they are interacting they end up like in this ep. I'm getting a feeling Takumi isn't very fond of her. Also, the new ending is pretty and I hope to see more of Seiha soon.
Sep 6, 2016 2:42 AM

Jun 2013
Everyone's so high-strung in this series: Takumi, his mother, his coach. The only likable characters so far are Gou, Seiha and his grandfather.
臭い-
Sep 7, 2016 10:04 PM

Dec 2012
Had to chuckle at the beginning. "You were touching a pitcher's shoulder." "I was touching my son's shoulder." Interesting to see how the grandpa and mom see Takumi in completely separate lights.

Boy, the collectivism is showing. On one hand everyone is prattling on about being obedient for the team or the school. Takumi, on the other hand, has only been thinking about himself. It's interesting to see how leaning too far towards collectivism or individualism can both lead to selfishness.

I'm betting Takumi held back on that final pitch when he saw how shook up Gou was.
Sep 26, 2016 10:28 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Six episodes, arrive a half of season and the series more speak, more feelings, but for the moment, the baseball is a pretty desilusion. The series is a personal drama...and until now has had ups and downs, but nothing special....
Oct 16, 2016 1:09 PM
Sep 2009
Takumi seriously needs to chill.

People are mad at mom for always being angry with Takumi but did you see how he treats her?! She was just concerned and he lashed out at her like if she punshed him. I don't care if it's his pitching shoulder, it won' break from a pet and there are far nicer ways of going around saying it.

Secondly he does not even bother to be engage with a team, to show some interest. He just acts like I know it all pro when he is just 13. If he keep this up, he'll never be a pro cause no one likes people like him. He is far more frustrating than Goru initially was.

I really hope he gets crashed in the game so his ego finally crumbles.

And while glasses guy was pathetic for bullying to begin with, his reason for quitting is not that unreasonable. He never really liked baseball and now team has a stuck up Takumi who keeps infuriating everyone around him. It was only logical for the guy to quit and save himself from frustration.
Nov 8, 2016 4:40 AM

Mar 2015
Takumi is a geniune piece of shit and I enjoy seeing bad things happen to him. The way he acts towards others, I doubt it's even human! It's cause there are people like Go and his brother that seem to just take it all and therefore seem to allow him to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Fuck this anime, it makes me so angry. Is it even about baseball? Or is it a study in 13-year old assholes and their effects on other decent people?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 28, 2019 2:34 AM

Mar 2009
The coach in this series is an incredible asshole. Constantly trying to punish Takumi for having an opinion about anything. If the coach was angry at Takumi for reasonable things it wouldn't be so bad but he loses it over the smallest things.

Grabbing a kid's shirt and yelling at him? Getting physical with him?

But perhaps most important: telling him he 'doesn't care about his opinion on Nobunishi, he only cares about a functional team'? True, Takumi was actually pretty okay with Nobunishi, but Takumi was assaulted because of Nobunishi. It would be completely reasonable if he had some issues. Act like a fucking adult.

It's hard to be angry about Takumi's 'arrogance' when almost all the people around him are so incompetent. The only character he has been unreasonably unfair to has been Seiha, and that has been because of his mother's pressure partially as well.

His mother's reactions are understandable, but there's a feeling there's more going on.
Dec 12, 2019 9:35 AM

Oct 2015
That was great pitching by Harada to Kadowaki, but it seems like that was almost a home run though.

I wonder what will be the verdict, match or no match?
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 18, 2020 8:18 PM

Jan 2010
Battery is just full of stubborn people. I still don't get how a 12 year old like Takumi could manage to get so mouthy. Heck, I don't get how middle school kids managed to get so vicious. This might be more of a sign that militant-like training, crappy parenting, and pressures over these kids aren't effective. I just don't know what to really say. This anime isn't bad or anything, but I guess it's just...unpleasant? I suppose it's trying to be realistic, so I can't really blame the anime for being the drama that it is. Though, a few moments and motives don't really work for me.

For example, if Eiji was serious about baseball, then he's using studying as an excuse to quit. Alternatively, if he didn't care about baseball, then he doesn't really have grounds to criticize Takumi, who's serious about playing. At the end, he just hates Takumi, and is willing to risk expulsion and police involvement just to win in a personal grudge match. I guess I'd be more supportive of the show if the characters were older, as I think as high schoolers, the pressure to succeed and the seniors being unable to play anymore would be more pressing. Right now, they all seem too young to get so intense about their futures. It just feels like the show's writer either has a super pessimistic view of kids, or thinks the struggle for one's own path in life can begin right after elementary school.
Dec 27, 2022 6:11 AM

Jan 2012
Nobunishi assaulted takumi and the coach and the other players were basically begging for him to stay?? Lmao this is crazy, they should've kicked him out to begin with, but instead we even got to hear a bs sob story scoobydoo style about how he could've enjoyed playing if it wasn't for meddling takumi

More topics from this board

Poll: » Battery Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2016

53 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 5:36 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

81 by baahsu »»
Dec 26, 2022 5:31 PM

Poll: » Battery Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

90 by Xie_lim15 »»
Mar 5, 2022 7:02 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

121 by Cainael »»
Nov 1, 2021 3:31 PM

» How does the novel end? [spoilers]

Segaco - Jan 4, 2021

1 by jjashael »»
Feb 28, 2021 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.