Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever stopped talking to a friend online?

New
Jul 24, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2015
I have a friend here online, one day she told me she was busy and would talk to me on a later date but no she lied and decided to never talk to me again, i wasnt blocked or anything (if there even is a block option) I could still comment in her profile, Id let her know i still exist, waiting for a reply yet I was always ignored, she would reply to other people but me.
I did nothing bad/wrong, I was a nice person, Id like to ask if you have ever done this to anyone online and why exactly, this isnt the first time its happend to me and it just makes me depressed to be left aside.

Im not bad at english Im just a horrible speller
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 2016 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
It's the natural Course of Life that you might not be able to keep a Bond - especially if it has been only online - forever. I have had my fair Share of People I've stopped talking or was stopped talking to in Person or on the Net as well.

I don't know how I could help you or others with a similar Situation, but I'd say that you should do what you feel is right in that Regard. For me, I eventually just stop caring if I don't hear from someone any more, even though I may still think about them from Time to Time. However, I'm generally spoken still open for any Contact with People that used to talk to me, it's just that I have become quite passive/apathetic/resigned to the respective Situation about this Issue to initiate it myself.
NoboruJul 24, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 24, 2016 2:37 PM

Mar 2008
I sometimes dont feel like talking a while and i say so if i do but I would never do something as bad as abandon a friend. its just wrong to do.
Jul 24, 2016 2:37 PM

May 2014
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, its just the way things work out. You either have something in common, get busy, drift away or simply lose interest.
A great friendship however extends beyond distance and time, its one which contains memories and experience in it.
I've been here way too long...
Jul 24, 2016 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
Whats deppressing about it is that we get along really well, we have alot in comun, we have reccommended stuff to eachother and ended satisfied, basicly BFFs, to have them suddenly stop talking to you is heart crushing, espicialy if you have no friends IRL.

Jul 24, 2016 3:19 PM

Jun 2016
Friends aren't forever man, not even online. I can't count how many people I've had to cut loose online and off but that's just me.
Jul 24, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
I sometimes dont feel like talking a while and i say so if i do but I would never do something as bad as abandon a friend. its just wrong to do.
Maybe you wouldn't, but let's be honest: you likely wouldn't attempt to actively renew the Bonds for every formerly close(r) Contact if both of you were drifting apart due to Change of Interests or Change of Live Situations, either.

lightcha said:
Whats deppressing about it is that we get along really well, we have alot in comun, we have reccommended stuff to eachother and ended satisfied, basicly BFFs, to have them suddenly stop talking to you is heart crushing, espicialy if you have no friends IRL.
Sounds like you might have overestimated the Feelings of the other Party, especially when you don't have any Feedback about what the other Person has really thought and felt about you (what I assume you don't have).
Jul 24, 2016 3:35 PM

Oct 2010
I'm honestly very lazy about replying to online conversations and tend to abandon them all of the time. So yes, I will suddenly stop talking to people for long periods of time.
Jul 24, 2016 3:36 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
Maybe you wouldn't, but let's be honest: you likely wouldn't attempt to actively renew the Bonds for every formerly close(r) Contact if both of you were drifting apart due to Change of Interests or Change of Live Situations, either.

No that is honest. I've never had that happen. I only stop talking to people I never spoke to much to begin with or if we dont have a way to contact eachother conveniently or if I was abandoned or heavily mistreated but even then I keep it so im contactable usually.
Jul 24, 2016 3:49 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Noboru said:

No that is honest. I've never had that happen. I only stop talking to people I never spoke to much to begin with or if we dont have a way to contact eachother conveniently or if I was abandoned or heavily mistreated but even then I keep it so im contactable usually.
Where is the Point where you can still say about your Relationship with someone: "we've never spoken that much with each other, anyway"?

I'll give you that, that having a convenient Method to contact each other might decide whether or not we would still stay in Contact with others. And I'm also keeping myself contactable (except for the "heavily mistreated" Part, but that hasn't happened so far), although People who have known me in Person may have it more difficult to contact me than some Online Acquaintances who know about my MAL Profile.
Jul 24, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2014
lightcha said:

The way you make it sound is a little bit more like you might have been a little too emotional maybe gave her the idea you wanted more then just being friends which she was just like peace im out. Lets also hope she doesn't see the topic or she surely won't be talking to you again. Honestly when it comes to online people unless your hanging out with them in voice chat you really have no idea what feelings they have. The only friends ive ever really stuck around with are people who i played games with daily or still do and voice chat with. Very few MAL conversations have amounted to more then a short conversation. People do have lives outside of MAL so its not really surprising. Maybe try making more friends and finding someone else o.O?
Jul 24, 2016 3:56 PM

Sep 2007
I've only lost contact online through instant messenger. We never seemed to be online at the same time, so we kept "seeing" each other less and less.

Nice drawings, BTW!

Jul 24, 2016 4:04 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:

Where is the Point where you can still say about your Relationship with someone: "we've never spoken that much with each other, anyway"?

I'll give you that, that having a convenient Method to contact each other might decide whether or not we would still stay in Contact with others. And I'm also keeping myself contactable (except for the "heavily mistreated" Part, but that hasn't happened so far), although People who have known me in Person may have it more difficult to contact me than some Online Acquaintances who know about my MAL Profile.

In case they need me or if we wind up getting closer later plus its not a big deal having someon in my contact list or anything
Jul 24, 2016 4:06 PM

Jul 2012
yeah all the time
no biggie

the true friends are able to talk to me randomly after a long period of time
Jul 24, 2016 4:29 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
In case they need me or if we wind up getting closer later plus its not a big deal having someon in my contact list or anything
I don't see it much of a big Deal for me, either. I'm just too lazy for Messengers, although I wouldn't deny a Request for it as long as it's possible for me to do so if the other Party really wants to talk with me over a Messenger.

The Point is though that it often happens to me that the other Person doesn't need me and that I don't need them, so I've become quite indifferent about this whole Friend Thing.
Jul 24, 2016 4:31 PM

Apr 2015
hitokiri1859 said:

The way you make it sound is a little bit more like you might have been a little too emotional maybe gave her the idea you wanted more then just being friends which she was just like peace im out. Lets also hope she doesn't see the topic or she surely won't be talking to you again. Honestly when it comes to online people unless your hanging out with them in voice chat you really have no idea what feelings they have. The only friends ive ever really stuck around with are people who i played games with daily or still do and voice chat with. Very few MAL conversations have amounted to more then a short conversation. People do have lives outside of MAL so its not really surprising. Maybe try making more friends and finding someone else o.O?

Honestly I dought she find this, she only hangs out in the anime forums and I honeslty dont care anymore No i didnt get to that point, it happened when we where talking about our favorite videogames, I guess your right that I took things a tad far in the emotional aspect.

Jul 24, 2016 4:36 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
It's the natural Course of Life that you might not be able to keep a Bond - especially if it has been only online - forever. I have had my fair Share of People I've stopped talking or was stopped talking to in Person or on the Net as well.

That's one thing, this is another. OP didn't lose touch, he is being deliberately ignored. Either they weren't actual friends [or barely friends/acquaintances] or she/he is intentionally shutting him out for some unknown explicable reason.

Given that the dude made a thread about it, I would assume he comes off as 'pushy' on a regular basis.
Jul 24, 2016 4:58 PM

Apr 2012
Eh, not really. Although I've had conversations on here die and not on a negative note either. Funny, I remember reading something on the profile one of the users on my friends list. He said something along the lines of spam my comments and I will eventually respond, lol XD
mascarponeJul 24, 2016 5:08 PM
Jul 24, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2014
lightcha said:
hitokiri1859 said:

Honestly I dought she find this, she only hangs out in the anime forums and I honeslty dont care anymore No i didnt get to that point, it happened when we where talking about our favorite videogames, I guess your right that I took things a tad far in the emotional aspect.

Yeah just learn from that and move on from that point.
Jul 24, 2016 5:42 PM

Jun 2015
yes, online friends are not REAL. This is why I hate internet nerds.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 24, 2016 5:45 PM

Jun 2014
I would drop it OP. Making a thread about it would only further piss this person off.
Jul 24, 2016 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
I stop talking to friends on a daily basis. I can't be online 24/7 talking to all of you lovely people.
Jul 24, 2016 7:45 PM

May 2013
yes all the time. tbh i've actually lost count of how many online friends ive made over the years, that i no longer speak to. of course i still have them on various social media platforms but neither one of of ever start a conversation. most days i forget they exist but sometimes i'll be scrolling through friendlists or thinking back about a game we both played and remember them.
Jul 24, 2016 7:48 PM

Jul 2016
Oh well....maybe get some new friends then?
"This little girl, who's not even half my size... taught me that tears can flow even from these silver eyes." - Teresa
Jul 24, 2016 8:06 PM

Feb 2016
It's happened to me plenty of times so you're not alone. Sometimes i'll ask them what happened but i'll never receive a response.

I was usually the one starting all the conversations and what not. It often seemed like they didn't want to put any effort into chatting or just didn't care. It sucks when it happens but try not to dwell on it.
Jul 24, 2016 8:25 PM
Nov 2011
It happens.
Haven't even talked to the people i like on here since semi-coming back </3
But that's just because of my old nature of not being so... social. Which kicked back in :(

Jul 24, 2016 8:43 PM

Nov 2013
Conversations with people come and go. Sometimes they just die and it's fine that way.
Jul 24, 2016 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
Kinda like that, except a bunch of people in the past became assholes and dropped me like a potato for being flawed.
Jul 24, 2016 9:53 PM

Jan 2014
I don't know if I would consider the people that I talk to online friends. I don't even consider the people that I meet outside the internet friends. I have the mentality that if one day something bad happens to me, these friends that are supposed to be by my side, won't be there. It happens a lot in reality, so the idea is not far-fetched.
Jul 24, 2016 10:03 PM

Nov 2015
Oooooooooooohh I smell some MAL drama here :>
Jul 24, 2016 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
I agree with the other members here. It happens and it's nothing tragic.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jul 24, 2016 10:38 PM

Jan 2009
being ignored sucks but you have to remember they might have lost interest in you so you have to accept that and find another one to talk to, its just part of socializing
Jul 24, 2016 11:20 PM

Feb 2014
Yes I do. I don't do it because I'm uninterested, though. I just tend to forget or don't go online as much because I got sidetracked for a few days doing something else.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jul 24, 2016 11:33 PM

Apr 2015
Yeah, to most of them. I'm just lazy and bad at keeping connections to people i guess.
Jul 24, 2016 11:38 PM

Jun 2015
I've stopped talking to people usually because one of us gets busy and forgets to respond or something like that. At least on my end.

I definitely don't recommend sending a lot of messages or anything like that. If they want to keep talking to you they will. If not, you can maybe send a message down the line to say hey or something. Don't take it personally if they don't want to keep talking.

Jul 24, 2016 11:42 PM

Sep 2009
All conversations have to end at some point and not all friendships last. You can keep wondering about the whys and still not arrive at your answer, and you probably never will because you're the one being left hanging. Don't get too hung up on it. Focus on your other friends instead :)
Jul 25, 2016 1:47 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Given that the dude made a thread about it, I would assume he comes off as 'pushy' on a regular basis.
You're right for this Case: He already admitted that he might have "took things a tad far in the emotional aspect", so there is not much one can do if the (from the Viewpoint of oneself) Friend doesn't want to have something to do with someone anymore.

The most one could do is trying to learn from it for future Relationships by making sure that you know what the other one thinks and feels about you, and to not make yourself anywhere emotionally dependent on one single Person.
Jul 25, 2016 4:07 AM

Aug 2015
I can relate, has happened to me more than once... There's really nothing you can do about it, but you can find new online friends and forget that one.
Jul 25, 2016 4:08 AM

May 2016
That's usually the case when we run out of stuff to talk about and getting busy lately... Or some crap happened between us.

Jul 25, 2016 4:23 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah, I have. It's pretty damn normal.

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 25, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
Kagami said:
I would drop it OP. Making a thread about it would only further piss this person off.

I honestly dont care, and how can I know if she doesnt speak to me anymore?

Jul 25, 2016 4:46 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah. A good five, six years ago I started ignoring an old internet buddy because I started to find her annoying and strange. She'd ask me in messages if I remembered her and such and I sort of just blew her off. In retrospect, it makes me feel lame.

On another note, about two years back, I tried getting into contact with a different friend after some time had passed since our last chat. A couple of messages later, she straight up asks me why I messaged her and that she found it annoying. I knew her as someone who didn't pull any punches, so I was a little surprised when she kinda softened the blow by telling me some other stuff. The whole thing was pretty bittersweet.

Internet friends are fun to have, I know, but for some reason or another they may not stick around. It's easier to drop them even quicker than the time to took to make them. There's no shortage of them if you're willing to look, though. Just enjoy them while you can I guess.
Jul 25, 2016 4:49 AM

Jan 2016
By "stopped talking", did you mean..

Have I ever got into a fight with someone online? Yeah, I have. Once.

It happened way before I joined MAL. My friend is a very nice guy. He's the fun type and an easy going person.

One day, we were debating and the debate got heated very fast and it turned into a fight. I guess it was mostly my fault for not controlling my emotions at the time but he said something very insulting that just crossed the line which forced me to act. It was surprising for me to see a nice guy had the guts to say something that just triggered me. I will not blame him for the fight. I guessed he wasn't thinking much before he typed the message. I forgave him.

Lesson learnt: As a man, you have to maintain your dignity if someone insults you but I was an idiot to get mad in the internet. It is the worst place for you to get mad since it's very public and anything can happen ._.

Fortunately, we only stopped talking for about 2 weeks before we made up. We continued to discuss about Naruto right after that :)
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

Jul 25, 2016 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
lightcha said:
I was a nice person

there's your problem.

I'm kidding

I'll usually stop talking to someone when there isn't much to talk about anymore or if they start getting boring. Saving myself from being the one that doesn't get responded to at least.

It seems kind of weird that she'd stop talking to you. Maybe she got bored of anime and video games and didn't have anything interesting to talk to you about at that point.
Jul 25, 2016 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
Lol dude I feel you yeah I have had a couple people like that...thought we were friends then they just randomly stopped talking to me...But see my personality is If you say something Im going to reply no matter what it is. Im just that type of person. But I've had conversations with people and I thought it was going good and then bam they don't wanna talk anymore. Oh well their loss idgaf.
Jul 25, 2016 5:14 AM

Jun 2010
I dont see what the big deal is. Out of 200 people you talk to online, maybe 1 becomes a long-term friend (with someone like that you can easily catch up later on skype) and the rest just come and go when you run out of stuff to talk about. you’re taking it waay too personally
Jul 25, 2016 5:18 AM

Dec 2009
It happens to me, but a lot of times I find myself doing it to others. I never mean it, but sometimes I find myself in no mood to reply to any or some of my conversations. But even then, I will still feel regretful, since I know how it feels to be the one on the receiving end.
...there are cases wherein I reply months later.
But even then, I still manage to keep a sound friendship with them. c:

Big Vers.
Jul 25, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2015
clandestine said:
Kinda like that, except a bunch of people in the past became assholes and dropped me like a potato for being flawed.

Even flawed potatoes deserve to be loved!

Jul 25, 2016 12:21 PM

Jul 2014
Yes. If the conversation strays off topic too much.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jul 25, 2016 12:59 PM

Jun 2014
lightcha said:
Kagami said:

I honestly dont care, and how can I know if she doesnt speak to me anymore?

Like I said, move on.

I can relate to you and her. I have been on the receiving and giving end of this type of thing and know its not worth worrying about. Its odd she stopped talking to you, but I likely would of to if somebody made a thread like this. Its not me attacking you, rather saying she likely got annoyed from something you did.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

24 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
33 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
46 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.