Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2016 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
So given that the MC is a gary sue who wins all fights and has to fight main villains himself, this ruins the excitement and danger of the villains. And it makes One Piece a one-hero series rather than an ensemble. And it takes away from the variety and leaves us with the same (boring) structure of arcs: Luffy vs A, his side kicks vs canon fodder.

What I wished, is that each arc would actually focus on the struggles of the corresponding characters. Why didn't Oda have Sanji fight Don Krieg himself? Or Ussop against Kuro. Many might argue "well some charactes aren't fighters." Then don't make it a needless fighting arc. Focus on storytelling. Besides, Zoro, Sanji, Franky, Brooke, Robin and now even Ussop arefughters and can take on an arc villain by themselves, while Luffy Sue can take on no.3 or not fight at all. If Oda had built their story arcs in a properly structured manner, it wouldn't have had to become all about Luffy Sue.

Thoughts?
End Zionazism
Jul 13, 2016 6:36 AM

Dec 2012
Probably no. Why break what works financially. One Piece fans like to be predictable, they want Luffy to face the big bad everytime.
Jul 13, 2016 7:19 AM
Apr 2016
Oh. Hello there, Mikasa. I haven't seen you in a while, or maybe it's just that I don't go on here frequently.

Well, in any case, this is the sort of thing from the plot that wants to make Luffy more and more well-known in order to increase his apparently already extremely high charisma, which makes him even more powerful in a way (along with his extremely high luck and apparent strength). I believe that the plot makes it that he must get as much of the great spotlight, praise, love, and attention as he can get, not only because he's a main character and a captain of a crew, but to make him more and more as the most suitable position in being the Pirate King. Thus, more and more things will work mostly towards only his own favor almost no matter what he does decide to do, no matter how ridiculous or reckless the decision he makes may be (which he very frequently makes, of course. That's just how he is).

This is a very common complaint I've been seeing lately, and while I do find it completely understandable, since that is the pattern that mostly (emphasis on mostly) occurred and worked throughout the years, I highly doubt it will change or become any different from now. This obviously wouldn't matter to the kind of people who always were entertained with this kind of thing from this series (to many people, this can actually be a good thing since I assume there are a ton of people who do not want the sort of structure to change), and I'm not saying that this sort of thing is new and all, but yeah. Can't really deny that there are a lot of readers and fans who are getting tired of the sort of thing, what with how long this has been going, of course.

While I have my great doubts that the sort of formula will be any different, who really knows? The sort of predictability will probably break later on, if not even sooner than we ever expect. Then again, it might not at all. idk
Jul 13, 2016 7:36 AM

Feb 2015
It's predictable, but it's not like the other characters are completely useless. Everyone has their moments and takes on at least some fodder enemies here and there. Oda tried to make a story that is somewhat simmiliar to Dragon Ball, and if you compare it directly to DB, you will notice how much better it actually works in One Piece:
In One Piece the main character takes on the main villains, the side characters take on the henchmen. In Dragon Ball Goku takes on 85% of the villains (especially in the original DB) and occasionally some other characters fight too.
Jul 13, 2016 8:20 AM
Aug 2015
Mikasa said:
So given that the MC is a gary sue who wins all fights and has to fight main villains himself, this ruins the excitement and danger of the villains. And it makes One Piece a one-hero series rather than an ensemble. And it takes away from the variety and leaves us with the same (boring) structure of arcs: Luffy vs A, his side kicks vs canon fodder.

What I wished, is that each arc would actually focus on the struggles of the corresponding characters. Why didn't Oda have Sanji fight Don Krieg himself? Or Ussop against Kuro. Many might argue "well some charactes aren't fighters." Then don't make it a needless fighting arc. Focus on storytelling. Besides, Zoro, Sanji, Franky, Brooke, Robin and now even Ussop arefughters and can take on an arc villain by themselves, while Luffy Sue can take on no.3 or not fight at all. If Oda had built their story arcs in a properly structured manner, it wouldn't have had to become all about Luffy Sue.

Thoughts?

Why would Sanji have to beat Krieg? they didn't have any issues with each other and only met for the first time, Luffy had more reason to fight him than Sanji because he need to pay the debt to Zeff.

And why would Usopp had to fight Kuro? his first priority is to protect Kaya and he did it properly, that leave Luffy the only available person to fight Kuro.

A better example would be nice.

Beside, what's wrong with a boss fighting a boss?
Remember that Luffy cannot do anything except fighting, he admit it himself back at Arlong Park, so in order to make up for everything he lack, he need to have the biggest fight out of all the crewmember to prove his worth as the captain.
It's not even about being predictable or not it's just a matter of character.
Jul 13, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2011
ooohhh mah gawddd

Ok I see this kind of discussion started up constantly and frankly it's quite annoying.

One Piece isn't the only one that does this. Literally every. shounen. manga. does.

It's a formula / structure that has been used long before One Piece ever showed up. Yeah it's predictable. I don't go into a shounen type manga or anime thinking it will be anything OTHER than that.
And I'm talking about the long running shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, etc. They ALL do this.

In terms of arc finales / final fights, It's predictable as hell, it's not breaking any new ground, it's really not trying to do anything of the sort. It's all just entertainment yo.

"yeah well One Piece should try to break out of that story structure and do something different!!" yeah and if it does that people will find more shit to complain about because it's not following the general structure that it's supposed to.

One Piece will always do this. Majority of young shounen adventure mangas will do this. I don't see any problem with it.
Jul 13, 2016 8:55 AM
Jan 2016
The whole "One piece is predictable" argument died heavily once the Sabaody arc made its point which transitioned into Impel Down and the Marine arc.

Furthermore, Dressrosa while being insanely long was nowhere near predictable either especially considering..
SummerMamboJul 13, 2016 2:06 PM
Jul 13, 2016 9:08 AM

Dec 2012
SerB3128 said:

And I'm talking about the long running shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, etc. They ALL do this.

Do they?

In Naruto:

Land of Waves. Kakashi fights the big bad Zabuza. Naruto fights Haku with Sasuke.
Chunnin Exams. Third Hokage Fighs Orochimaru. Naruto Fights Gaara.
Tsunade search. Tsuande and Jiraya fight Orochimaru. Naruto Fights Kabuto
Sasuke Reterival arc. Naruto can't fight Kimmaro, Lee and Gaara take over. Naruto fights Sasuke, he loses.
Kazekage rescue arc. Sasori defeated by Sakura and Chiyo. Naruto chases Deidara, only to reterive Garra's dead corpse.
Hidan and Kakzu. Naruto only delivers a final blow to Kazuku. Hidan is defeated by Shikamaru, which was thematically the center conflict of the arc.
Itachi Hunt. Naruto isn't relevant with the two biggest conflicts.
Pain arc. The very first arc, where Naruto completely takes center stage, and fights the main antagonist, Pain. After that the war arc, where Naruto and Sasuke take the biggest spot.

So Naruto only took the main antagonists when it made sense.

Compare that to Luffy, where it's just systematic how fights are decided.
Jul 13, 2016 10:22 AM
Aug 2015
tsudecimo said:

Compare that to Luffy, where it's just systematic how fights are decided.

Luffy wasn't that different.
Loguetown : Dragon takes on Smoker.
Alabasta : Ace takes on Smoker.
Whiskey Peak ; Zoro takes on all the bounty hunter.
Long Ring Long Land : Lose to Aokiji,
Thriller Bark : Mostly team fight.
Shabondy Park : Rayleigh take on Kizaru.
Impel Down : Team fight, BB supposedly beat Magellan at the end.
Marineford ; WB crews and ID breakout team take on most of the major player.

In short, Luffy also beat enemy when it made sense, He never actually beat an enemy that is overwhelmingly stronger than him.
Jul 13, 2016 12:41 PM

Nov 2013
You kidding? Pre ts was atleast average and interesting at some points, but now it's just going the long running shounen route and turning into total garbage.

Post ts has been meh so far and i don't see anything that makes it better so far.
Jul 13, 2016 12:51 PM

Jul 2016
Luffy, most of the time, is the strongest in the crew. Doesn't it make more sense he's the one to fight the strongest of the enemies?

Nobody else could take on Kuro, Zoro had his swords stolen, Usopp had no chance beside he had to save his girl.
Nobody else could take on Krieg at that time, Zoro was badly injured by Mihawk, Zeff retired, and Sanji had hard time with his underling.
Nobody else could take on Arlong.
Crocodile, self explanatory. Beside, he had declared he would kick his ass right from the very beginning.
So are for Enel, Lucci, and Moria.
For Hody, wouldn't it be funny if, in front of everyone, Luffy the captain ran towards the pawns instead of the boss?
Caesar, nobody is immune to poison as much as him and if I remember correctly, only he and Usopp were in the same room as Caesar. Besides, Vergo is stronger than Caesar anyway.
Doflamingo, nobody else had chance, not even Luffy himself could beat him alone.

Well, there are arcs where Luffy didn't beat the strongest villain, but let's just forget about them. For bait, why not?

Anyway, if One Piece is so predictable, tell me who will beat and how will Big Mom and Kaido be beaten?

Unlike Naruto, Naruto is not the strongest in his team or in his village. Obviously, Kakashi fought Zabuza, and Third and Jiraiya fought Orochimaru, any decent writer would write it that way. Of course Naruto chased Deidara instead of fighting Sasori, his goal is to retrieve Gaara. Of course Shikamaru fought Hidan, he wanted revenge. Of course Sasuke fought Itachi, he stated right from the beginning. I can bet you Zoro will be the one to beat Mihawk.

Still, Naruto fought that long white hair guy at the first episode, why Iruka, a certified ninja couldn't beat him, but an academy ninja could beat him? Naruto fought Gaara, why wouldn't he just stay at the village and let someone else chase Gaara? Naruto fought Kimimaro, why wouldn't he just fight that boulder guy?

tsudecimo said:

Implying what One Piece did doesn't make sense. Okay, which fight doesn't make sense?
Jul 13, 2016 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
otterman965 said:

Implying what One Piece did doesn't make sense. Okay, which fight doesn't make sense?

I meant Naruto only took on the main antagonist when it was personal conflict to him, not because he was the protagonist of the story. At any rate, whether you think one piece doing this with Luffy is good or not, I was just showing how this isn't present in every long running shounen.
Jul 13, 2016 2:25 PM

Sep 2014
I feel like you're looking at this 'predictability' issue wrongly; taking it way to pessimistically.
When a major arc in One Piece introduces the main antagonist of the Arc and with Oda establishing, at the very beginning, that Luffy will be the one going toe-to-toe against the 'Villain', it sort of sets up an ambiance of anticipation. (Most) Fans look forward to the "Big Fight" instead of pondering over 'Which-StrawHat-Member-Will-Fight-The-Big-Fight-Here?'
In each arc, the crew members shine in their own way by taking down the corresponding asshats of the opposing force.
The consistent match-up of Luffy vs Lead Bad guy enforces the power-level within the Straw Hats. Kind of like a reminder that Luffy is in-charge and it keeps the hierarchy stable.

These match-ups allow the Fans to comprehend the stats of each member, more clearly.
Not to be a snob, but I think this highly sets One Piece above series like Fairy Tail in which you don't even know how each character measures up to each other in the scales of battle power. Which makes it less interesting to read/watch because you have no expectations in the first place.
Jul 13, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
JonasTheJay said:
It's predictable, but it's not like the other characters are completely useless. Everyone has their moments and takes on at least some fodder enemies here and there. Oda tried to make a story that is somewhat simmiliar to Dragon Ball, and if you compare it directly to DB, you will notice how much better it actually works in One Piece:
In One Piece the main character takes on the main villains, the side characters take on the henchmen. In Dragon Ball Goku takes on 85% of the villains (especially in the original DB) and occasionally some other characters fight too.

1. Yes. They are useless. They never solved any major problem. Any generic writer can make up B-list villains to get them busy.
2. No. DB was not like this. Piccolo killed Raditz (Goku only assisted), Goku failed to beat Vegeta, and was saved only by circumstance. I heard it was Gohan who beat Cell?

SerB3128 said:

No. DBZ doesn't. And neither did Naruto until it went all retarded and cliche, but before the invasion of the plethora of asspulls in the Pain arc, it had its fair share of villains being taken care of by side characters. Zabuza by Kakashi, Orochimaru by Jiraya, Hidan by Shika. Sure they all had their share of Naruto butting in and using cliche asspulls, but they still improve on what OP does and feels like an ensemble.

Yes. Fairy Tail and Bleach do it, but I was hoping One Piece would improve and be more like the aforementioned 2 anime.

otterman965 said:
Luffy, most of the time, is the strongest in the crew. Doesn't it make more sense he's the one to fight the strongest of the enemies?

Nobody else could take on Kuro, Zoro had his swords stolen, Usopp had no chance beside he had to save his girl.
Nobody else could take on Krieg at that time, Zoro was badly injured by Mihawk, Zeff retired, and Sanji had hard time with his underling.
Crocodile, self explanatory. Beside, he had declared he would kick his ass right from the very beginning.
For Hody, wouldn't it be funny if, in front of everyone, Luffy the captain ran towards the pawns instead of the boss?
Caesar, nobody is immune to poison as much as him and if I remember correctly, only he and Usopp were in the same room as Caesar. Besides, Vergo is stronger than Caesar anyway.
Doflamingo, nobody else had chance, not even Luffy himself could beat him alone.

Well, there are arcs where Luffy didn't beat the strongest villain, but let's just forget about them. For bait, why not?

Anyway, if One Piece is so predictable, tell me who will beat and how will Big Mom and Kaido be beaten?

Unlike Naruto, Naruto is not the strongest in his team or in his village. Obviously, Kakashi fought Zabuza, and Third and Jiraiya fought Orochimaru, any decent writer would write it that way. Of course Naruto chased Deidara instead of fighting Sasori, his goal is to retrieve Gaara. Of course Shikamaru fought Hidan, he wanted revenge. Of course Sasuke fought Itachi, he stated right from the beginning. I can bet you Zoro will be the one to beat Mihawk.

Still, Naruto fought that long white hair guy at the first episode, why Iruka, a certified ninja couldn't beat him, but an academy ninja could beat him? Naruto fought Gaara, why wouldn't he just stay at the village and let someone else chase Gaara? Naruto fought Kimimaro, why wouldn't he just fight that boulder guy?

tsudecimo said:

Luffy is the strongest because Oda chose him to be. He's a writer, he should learn how to change it. Maybe give actual meaning to the term "beast trio" or whatever. Make Zoro and Sanji just as strong, and let them alternately switch roles. Besides, seeing how most of Luffy's wins were asspulls, I'd say Oda can do the same for any other member without having to explain much.
End Zionazism
Jul 13, 2016 10:28 PM
Jun 2016
JonasTheJay said:
In One Piece the main character takes on the main villains, the side characters take on the henchmen.

How does that make that work any better than DB's? That's literally what most shonen works do. Hell, DB does this quite a good number of times as well, not Goku who fight and destroys "85% of the villains". lol

@Mikasa

Yes, Mikasa. Gohan fought and did finish off Cell.
Jul 14, 2016 9:08 AM

Feb 2015
@4Dissinity

Have you watched or read the original Dragon Ball? In the first half of the original DB, Goku defeats literally every villain (except for the tournaments). The Red Ribbon saga was all about Goku walking around and one-punching a bunch of fodder enemies. DBZ focuses mostly on Goku and Vegeta and to some extent Piccolo and Gohan. Imagine if every single Z fighter had at least 1 awesome moment per arc. Doesn't have to be an actually important moments, just one that makes the character shine for little while. That's pretty much how One Piece handles this.

Imagine if they added one or two additonal stages to Babidi's ship, just so that #18 or Tien (or any other character) could have their own cool fight scene. It's true these scenes wouldn't add anything to the story, but at least you don't get the feeling, that these characters are useless. Or imagine if every Yugioh support character like Tristan, Tea, Duke etc would actually duel once in while (fillers don't count), it would make the characters look way more meaningful.

Also in One Piece's case it always makes some sense that Luffy fights all the boss enemies, since he is the captain. Gon, Ichigo, Naruto, Goku are all very powerful, but none of them are actually the leader of their group. On top of that Luffy always fights the villains for personal reasons. He never beats up random thugs, unless they hurt a dear friend or invoked Luffy's feelings otherwise (just like Shanks in the very first chapter).
AshitaNoJonasJul 20, 2016 9:43 AM
Jul 20, 2016 8:21 AM

Mar 2012
4Dissinity said:
JonasTheJay said:
In One Piece the main character takes on the main villains, the side characters take on the henchmen.

How does that make that work any better than DB's? That's literally what most shonen works do. Hell, DB does this quite a good number of times as well, not Goku who fight and destroys "85% of the villains". lol

@Mikasa

Yes, Mikasa. Gohan fought and did finish off Cell.

Luffy beat 100% of the villains. Mains.
End Zionazism
Jul 20, 2016 11:02 AM

May 2015
Wow, you're right, the straw-hats also defeat the antagonist 99% of the time too! They've only really lost once! Anyone realized this? Can't look at this the same way.

Ty-Ki said:
You kidding? Pre ts was atleast average and interesting at some points, but now it's just going the long running shounen route and turning into total garbage.

Post ts has been meh so far and i don't see anything that makes it better so far.

Luffy has faced and defeated the main antagonist since chapter 1 what r u talking about.

Mikasa said:

Luffy beat 100% of the villains. Mains.

Well not always, you could consider Kuma/Kizaru/Vegabunk Sumo guy main antagonist. Marineford seems too big to have one main antagonist though, maybe Akainu?
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 20, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
No they were teaser villains, still undefeated by someone else.

Just for comparison's sake to clear the difference between a "to be defeated at a later convenience villain: Luffy lost to Lucci, but he won immediately after.

And a normal rivalry taking course without a forceful direct lose-win scenario: Gon losing to Hisoka twice, then being "cool" with them hanging out and being allies, all the while Hisoka himself has been defeated by other villains. So when they fight again, you don't feel like it's "just the revenge gon-is-butthurt-for-losing second round."

Same thing with Naruto losing to Haku, whom he'll never get to defeat.

What does that mean? All the main villains Luffy hasn't beaten yet, he will. All by himself. And it's 100% predictable by now.
End Zionazism
Jul 20, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
ashfrliebert said:
you could consider Kuma/Kizaru/Vegabunk Sumo guy main antagonist.

Honestly, I never considered them as being main antagonists. I can understand why it seems that way to you and probably a ton of people, but I never really did.
Jul 20, 2016 9:06 PM

May 2015
AmyTwo said:

Honestly, I never considered them as being main antagonists. I can understand why it seems that way to you and probably a ton of people, but I never really did.

Of that one arc specifically.

Eren said:
And a normal rivalry taking course without a forceful direct lose-win scenario: Gon losing to Hisoka twice, then being "cool" with them hanging out and being allies, all the while Hisoka himself has been defeated by other villains. So when they fight again, you don't feel like it's "just the revenge gon-is-butthurt-for-losing second round."

Uh, Hisoka is *the* most important antagonist, perhaps the main overall, but he wasn't the main antagonist in any arc. Not centrally and not an any way compared to main One Piece antagonist. Gon wasn't given the options of "defeat Hisoka or die".

And that's IS a direct lose-win scenario, Gon lost to Hisoka twice.

Same thing with Naruto losing to Haku, whom he'll never get to defeat.

What does that mean? All the main villains Luffy hasn't beaten yet, he will. All by himself. And it's 100% predictable by now.

100% of all antagonist Naruto will face, have faced, will be "defeated" in some form, don't see the problem. Lesson 101 in fiction, the main antagonist will usually lose, eventually. Mihawk Won, Kuma sorta won(though you can admittedly argue he wasn't even an antagonist at all sure), Akainu/Sengoku won(and the whole of the marines), Blackbeard won. At the moment and at the time. Like Haku "won" and Hisoka won.

Mihawk will be defeated by Luffy? Doesn't work. You could predict that Naruto was going to defeat

Stories are just generally predictable, you know what they say, nothing original under the sun. But if you tell me you knew, I don't know, Dolfamingo's exact flashback and that Sanji was a prince in coohoots with a future antagonist with the same position as the first main character(Shaaanks) to appear in the story. I'll buy you a beer! But if you're disappointed the main protagonist constantly defeats the main antagonist instead of one of the main characters, I just don't think you were very interested in any of characters or story anyway. Which is a problem with the story on it's own, of course.

Maybe the complaint you're looking for is the story structure's repetitive? The suspense doesn't really come from who's going to be punched and who's going to do the punching, the important thing is everything else.

ashfrliebertJul 20, 2016 9:42 PM
Jul 21, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:

Mikasa, Taking the word predictable to another level.

It's one thing to be displeased by the match-up but saying Luffy beat the antagonist is predictable is just wrong on so many level .
Let me tell you something, Luffy will find One Piece and be the Pirate King, predictable right?/the same thing with Naruto will become the Hokage and Gon will find his father. It's so predictable right? What's the point of watching a series when you already knew the conclusion right?

It's not predictable when the series itself already estabilishing the tension and the build up toward the fight, it's just the obvious turn of event.

There's a moment when the author want you to guess something by throwing hint here and there and when you got it right, that's what you call predictable.

But there is something that the author blatantly stated in the series to make you look forward to it and in most case, Luffy fight is something that you don't even need to predict who he will fight since he himself already stated who will he fight.

Luffy will fight Kaido and win you say? But well of course he will, duh! The story won't move forward if he don't defeat him!
Jul 21, 2016 12:02 PM

May 2015
Come back to this post in 10 years if you want to know how predictable OP truly is, I can tell you what will happen near the end.

You'll recognize my genius and Oda's lunacy in the future.
Jul 21, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
otterman965 said:

tsudecimo said:

Luffy is gonna get his ass kicked then a couple months time skip...watch
Sup...
Jul 21, 2016 1:22 PM

Jul 2015
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

Mikasa, Taking the word predictable to another level.

It's one thing to be displeased by the match-up but saying Luffy beat the antagonist is predictable is just wrong on so many level .
Let me tell you something, Luffy will find One Piece and be the Pirate King, predictable right?/the same thing with Naruto will become the Hokage and Gon will find his father. It's so predictable right? What's the point of watching a series when you already knew the conclusion right?

It's not predictable when the series itself already estabilishing the tension and the build up toward the fight, it's just the obvious turn of event.

There's a moment when the author want you to guess something by throwing hint here and there and when you got it right, that's what you call predictable.

But there is something that the author blatantly stated in the series to make you look forward to it and in most case, Luffy fight is something that you don't even need to predict who he will fight since he himself already stated who will he fight.

Luffy will fight Kaido and win you say? But well of course he will, duh! The story won't move forward if he don't defeat him!
If Luffy can have a simple 1 v 1 Kaido i'm dropping One Piece lol, but Oda said that he will have to come up with something to beat Kaido so I have faith it's more of a team up vs Kaido rather than just a simple 1 v 1
Sup...
Jul 21, 2016 1:22 PM

Jul 2016
No and thats a good thing. I like the way it is now

tsudecimo said:
Probably no. Why break what works financially. One Piece fans like to be predictable, they want Luffy to face the big bad everytime.

At least he doesn't TnJ the villian every fucking time.
Jul 21, 2016 1:25 PM

Dec 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

tsudecimo said:

That was a worthwhile and totally not an irrelevant reply. GJ.
Jul 21, 2016 1:27 PM

Jul 2016
tsudecimo said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Don't mention it. I actually like Naruto & think its overhated, just wanted to show that it could get predictable in its own way.

Like your Avatar and Sig btw.
Jul 21, 2016 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
Omni_slash95 said:
tsudecimo said:

Don't mention it. I actually like Naruto & think its overhated, just wanted to show that it could get predictable in its own way.

Oh, you don't get sarcasm. Lol.
Jul 21, 2016 1:31 PM

Jul 2016
tsudecimo said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Oh, you don't get sarcasm. Lol.

Yeah I do, thats why I said "Don't mention it". Seems like you are the one who didn't get it...
Jul 21, 2016 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Rest of your reply was what's confusing. meh

mal being mal
Jul 21, 2016 1:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
How is Luffy a gary stu? He gets wrecked quite often. You can see that all the way back to Arlong.

has to fight main villains himself

Not all of them, no. One Piece has already "broken the predictability".

his side kicks vs canon fodder.

Kuma and Pika are not canon fodder, bro.

What I wished, is that each arc would actually focus on the struggles of the corresponding characters.

Uh, that's what Oda did in the arcs that introduced the nakama.

Why didn't Oda have Sanji fight Don Krieg himself? Or Ussop against Kuro.

Have actually read and/or watched One Piece? Serious question.
BatoKusanagiJul 21, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 21, 2016 2:01 PM

Jul 2015
@Omni_slash95

Going a bit off-topic and I know this is probably a stupid question, but what does TnJ mean?
Jul 21, 2016 2:02 PM

Jul 2015
ashfrliebert said:
AmyTwo said:

Of that one arc specifically.

Oh. Alright. nvm then
Jul 21, 2016 2:03 PM

Mar 2012
AmyTwo said:
@Omni_slash95

Going a bit off-topic and I know this is probably a stupid question, but what does TnJ mean?

Tanjibility

Thanks for the replies, will get to them in detail tomorrow.
End Zionazism
Jul 21, 2016 2:09 PM

Jul 2015
Mikasa said:
AmyTwo said:
@Omni_slash95

Tanjibility

Thanks for the replies, will get to them in detail tomorrow.

Really? I guess it's just a thing in this site, or I just don't get around much on the web since I've never seen it used like that anywhere else before.

Well, thx anyway.
Jul 21, 2016 2:18 PM

Jul 2016
AmyTwo said:
@Omni_slash95

Talk no Jutsu, Naruto convinces many villians of the series to turn good by shouting/talking with them. Its truly the most powerful Jutsu.
Jul 21, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
Omni_slash95 said:
AmyTwo said:
@Omni_slash95

Talk no Jutsu, Naruto convinces many villians of the series to turn good by shouting/talking with them. Its truly the most powerful Jutsu.

Oh, it's Talk no Jutsu! I should've known. My fault, but damn it, @Mikasa. lol
Jul 21, 2016 3:11 PM

Nov 2010
It does break from that pattern from time to time, but generally no, it won't change. And it's hardly a matter of predictability when Oda himself casually talks in interviews about how Luffy will defeat Kaido, lol.

We always know from the get go that Luffy will be the ass-kicker, but since One Piece has a lot of unpredictability in other places, the patterns don't really bother anyone save for a small percentage of the readers. It's a simple convention, one that fans accept and enjoy, not a flaw.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Apr 23

15 by Eoussama »»
58 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 799 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Georesa - Sep 2, 2015

228 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 798 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2015

138 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 8:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.