Forum Settings
Forums

Still watch an anime even after seeing poor reviews?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 17, 2016 1:06 AM

Apr 2016
I find most of mals stats fairly useless tbh. Rating can be a decent barometer but can't account for personal taste, member count pretty much just says how hyped and pandering it is, reviews are pretty much only done by try-hards who either really loved or really hated it (and usually have fairly poor writing and insight). If the synopsis seems good, is a genre I want to watch at the time and I've heard it reccomended alongside something I like then I'll watch it.
May 17, 2016 1:14 AM

Feb 2016
If the anime is old i read the most recent reviews cause animation made enormous strides and i see if it s worth it.. The overall score is just a number given by thousand of people (haters who give 1, ppl who dropped an anime even when the story has never begun ecc..) so unless it s under the 7.00 i will not bother me..
May 17, 2016 2:24 AM

Apr 2010
Usually it works the other way around. First I see something, and then get to see the bad reviews

May 17, 2016 2:34 AM

Dec 2012
I often forget there is even a review feature.

MAL ratings, reviews and anything user influenced is trivial and useless.
May 17, 2016 2:37 AM

Feb 2015
Depends on the anime itself. If it's something that seems like I'd enjoy, I'd probably still try it. I often don't read the reviews, but if I do and it appears actually valid points are brought up in the review, then I might consider not wanting it. If the review is nothing but bashing the anime because the writer just happened to hate it for whatever reason, I'm not going to let that influence my choice. I generally don't bother with reviews that rate something a 1-3 or 9-10, because they just seem like they'd be biased for or against it. I prefer reviews that can tell me the good and bad things about an anime, and don't let their blind hate or fanboyism get in the way.
May 17, 2016 2:47 AM

Sep 2015
Depends on the quality of the reviews, and my own interest in the series. Many series have had lacklustre reviews written about them but I found to be pretty decent nonetheless. I was rather hesitant to watch Nisekoi S2 because most of the reviews said it was a step-down from the first season, but I enjoyed it almost as much as the first; most of the negative points the reviews mentioned really weren't as prevalent as they were made out to be.

No matter how many negative reviews there are, they're still only other peoples' opinions at the end of the day. Regardless of the quality of the review or the amount of them, they should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 17, 2016 2:53 AM

Jul 2010
Considering you can find bad reviews for pretty much every shows.... I'd barely watch anything in the end.... And I came across enough underrated/overrated shows to watch an anime regardless of the reviews and mean score.
May 17, 2016 3:12 AM

Aug 2015
tsudecimo said:
I often forget there is even a review feature.

MAL ratings, reviews and anything user influenced is trivial and useless.
Pretty much this.

And sometime i only read reviews after finished the series. Just to see what other think about this or that anime.
May 17, 2016 3:40 AM

Nov 2012
Kaneki-Uta said:
well I read both the good and bad reviews... see what the points are, then look at the stats, see what the majority think.... then depending on that i decide wether to watch or not

This is exactly why people eat up stuff like Marvel movies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but wouldn't it be better to decide whether or not to watch it by seeing how you think of the concept then giving it a few episodes?
May 17, 2016 3:43 AM
Dec 2014
reviews are bullshit
After all it is just one guys opinion

that is why ranking and score ist best, cause you have the crowd intelligence and not personal biases, just the group bias, which you lern after a time
May 17, 2016 3:44 AM

May 2009
I don't often pay attention to reviews. If I'm interested in a title and want to watch it, things like bad reviews, won't stop me. The only time I'll let it affect my decision is if I'm already on the fence about watching said anime, and in this instance, it's not so much the bad reviews that I take into consideration, but it's overall average score.
May 17, 2016 4:54 AM

Nov 2012
plasma38 said:
reviews are bullshit
After all it is just one guys opinion

that is why ranking and score ist best, cause you have the crowd intelligence and not personal biases, just the group bias, which you lern after a time

I'm sorry but that's the most disgusting opinion I've ever seen. Do you let Rotten Tomatoes choose what movies you're allowed to like as well? If you're happy being a sheep, go be one, but don't tell people it's the way to go.
May 17, 2016 5:13 AM

Aug 2010
Nope, I don't pay attention to the score, reviews and rankings at all. I will only look at the synopsis and genre, all that matters to me.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

May 17, 2016 5:19 AM

Oct 2015
Miraclezify said:

I'm sorry but that's the most disgusting opinion I've ever seen. Do you let Rotten Tomatoes choose what movies you're allowed to like as well? If you're happy being a sheep, go be one, but don't tell people it's the way to go.

Well, that other opinion expressed here a lot - that nobody should be influenced by anything - seems just as silly to me.
Basically, that is negating the value of any communication at all, and quite absurd in attempting to negate humans being social beings.

so - original question :
Avoiding reviews that come with a rating of all-10 or all-1, and those where I can not read a single word about the anime in question without clicking "read more", sometimes I do let negative reviews keep me from watching sth.

Last ones to have this happening were Owari no Seraph (or sth.) - it is on TV here these weeks, but some of those reviews seemed credible enough to avoid it alltogether.

And Terra e - thanks go to those few reviews/-ers in that 10(10/10/10/10) horde that kept me from wasting time with that.
BannoBunka_snorkMay 17, 2016 5:22 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
May 17, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:
ive never read a review about an anime.... a review is another persons opinion, and im not going to watch a show cause some nobody decided to go on a rant about it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I really need to take some advice from you lol
May 17, 2016 5:25 AM
Aug 2015
Sadly, I'm more likely to pick up a series that has good reviews than one that doesn't. With the exception of Elfen Lied, which I watched solely based on people on the internet calling it a "bloody masterpiece" before I even discovered MAL, I have yet to pick up a series with a rating less than an 8.

That's probably also because I rarely disagree with the majority, which might in a way indicate that I lack unique taste.
May 17, 2016 5:32 AM

Aug 2010
BannoBunka_snork said:
Well, that other opinion expressed here a lot - that nobody should be influenced by anything - seems just as silly to me.
Basically, that is negating the value of any communication at all, and quite absurd in attempting to negate humans being social beings.

I don't really follow how not listening to the "masses" to form an opinion but yourself to form it is negating the value of communication?

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

May 17, 2016 5:33 AM

Oct 2015
Of course, sometimes it will make me want to watch it even more if it has polarising/mixed reception.
May 17, 2016 5:54 AM
May 2009
Nope.

I tend to just watch everything, and if it sucks I will just put it on hold, till I forget it and it gets dropped.
May 17, 2016 6:07 AM

Oct 2015
BigBoss said:
I don't really follow how not listening to the "masses" to form an opinion but yourself to form it is negating the value of communication?

Well take Mamster-P's post for example (quoted below) - exactly because I am confident it was supposed to be a joke comment. But some other users's comments along that way I am not so sure they were just joking - like, trying to take pride in being a "lone wolf", or sth.

I think both extreme positions are not useful, resp. just not true.

Like this "we can not not communicate", it also means we can not not be influenced by "the masses".
I for one have a tendency to avoid temporarily hyped stuff.

Mamster-P said:
ive never read a review about an anime.... a review is another persons opinion, [...]
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
May 17, 2016 6:15 AM

Nov 2012
BannoBunka_snork said:
Miraclezify said:

so - original question :
Avoiding reviews that come with a rating of all-10 or all-1, and those where I can not read a single word about the anime in question without clicking "read more", sometimes I do let negative reviews keep me from watching sth.

Last ones to have this happening were Owari no Seraph (or sth.) - it is on TV here these weeks, but some of those reviews seemed credible enough to avoid it alltogether.

And Terra e - thanks go to those few reviews/-ers in that 10(10/10/10/10) horde that kept me from wasting time with that.

I read reviews all the time and the contents of the review helps me to decide whether or not I might like it regardless of whether the reviewer thought a specific thing was bad or good. But to decide based on a consensus number? The number has no value to me - it tells me nothing about the show except how many people liked it. Sheep mentality should have no value to anyone, but apparently it does to too many.
May 17, 2016 6:31 AM

Oct 2015
hehehe,

I suspect we might not have very different positions in this, just that you got piqued by the one extreme, and me by the other extreme. :p

------------------
I also sometimes read reviews after watching a show, eg. to see if maybe I saw things that were not there, resp. if others saw those, too.
May 17, 2016 6:32 AM

May 2016
I'll probably ignore an anime with bad ratings and reviews :(
May 17, 2016 6:46 AM
May 2016
most reviews r shit i dont give a fuck about crtic
May 17, 2016 7:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BannoBunka_snork said:
BigBoss said:

Well take Mamster-P's post for example (quoted below) - exactly because I am confident it was supposed to be a joke comment. But some other users's comments along that way I am not so sure they were just joking - like, trying to take pride in being a "lone wolf", or sth.

I think both extreme positions are not useful, resp. just not true.

Like this "we can not not communicate", it also means we can not not be influenced by "the masses".
I for one have a tendency to avoid temporarily hyped stuff.

Mamster-P said:
ive never read a review about an anime.... a review is another persons opinion, [...]

i was kinda trying to be funny... but what i said to @Robiiii still applies

Robiiii said:

I really need to take some advice from you lol

seeing someone attempt to shit on a series/genre has NEVER made me not want to watch it or like it less, therefore it'd be a waste of time to read or watch reviews unless entirely meant to be funny

cause you know by now how i am against people who like to complain about anime
May 17, 2016 9:08 AM

Apr 2016
I don't really care about the reviews. If the anime seems interesting to me I will watch it, even if it has bad reviews.
May 17, 2016 9:19 AM

Aug 2014
I never give a damn about reviews, because they can really go both ways - you can find both highly rated and lowly reviews on most shows, there are a few exceptions like Pupa where it's usually just trolling or they might be serious. So in other words, even a show that only gets shitty reviews will still get a go from me, so long the synopsis is interesting enough for me.
May 17, 2016 9:23 AM

Mar 2016
If I think a show is interesting I'll watch it, no matter the score or reviews. However, sometimes specific things mentioned in a review will make me think twice. It really depends though, for the most part I can't trust other people's opinions.

I also happen to enjoy a lot of stuff most people hate, so low scores are actually an incentive for me to watch.
May 17, 2016 9:31 AM

Feb 2015
Miraclezify said:
Kaneki-Uta said:
well I read both the good and bad reviews... see what the points are, then look at the stats, see what the majority think.... then depending on that i decide wether to watch or not

This is exactly why people eat up stuff like Marvel movies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but wouldn't it be better to decide whether or not to watch it by seeing how you think of the concept then giving it a few episodes?

yeah thats what I usually do... i watch the first 4-5 eps then decide
May 17, 2016 9:34 AM

Oct 2015
If its anything more than 13 episodes with fairly bad reviews, I try to avoid it for sure.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
May 17, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2013
I don't give a shit on MAL reviews the most of times. Sometimes I read them to know what people think of a determinate anime and have certain expectaives of what I will watch (like with overhyped animes), but, if I want to watch an anime, I watch it and that's the end of the story. I don't let me get influenced by other opinions without having one myself first.
May 17, 2016 10:35 AM

Oct 2015
sikat98 said:
most reviews r shit i dont give a fuck about crtic

Best post of the year.

This guy knows what's up.
May 17, 2016 10:37 AM

Feb 2016
Most reviews are harsh or exaggerated.
Even though many anime series have lots of problems, they are still enjoyable.
A perfect example would be sao there was lots of problems I've found in the series but it was still enjoyable to an certain extent.
On the the other hand, most series are over hyped which causes disappointed the moment it doesn't meet the expectations.
So I basically don't really pay much attention to the reviews but sometimes I do try to prove them wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Sep 2014
If an anime is rated below a 7 im not going to waste my time. Below a 7.5 i'll watch it if im really interested.
May 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Dec 2015
Welp, sometimes I do like to think that if a particular anime has an immense amount of negative reviews (example being Vampire holmes, Boku no pico, No money project, etc) It gained it for a very valid reason rather than the reviewers' strong biasness. An anime with so many negative reviews, with so many people thinking the same don't attain them for no reason. There must be something that went wrong within the anime, thus I avoid it.

However, they are controversial animes like "Neon genesis Evangelion" that have very inconsistent reviews. I like to consider these animes that are open to interpretations, so it's neither bad or good.

In general, at least poor reviews are slightly more credible than the rating of an anime. Oh lord, Most poor animes I've watched have ridiculously high scores due to people jumping on the bandwagon (Example being Tokyo ghoul) so I like to look at animes with the rating of 6 or 7.

I'll still see an anime with poor reviews purely just to laugh at it or pure entertainment like Diabolik lovers........wait, actually, I watched that anime completely oblivious to what to anticipate. :(
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2014
GaryMuffuginOak said:
If the reviews are typical rants about how ecchi or cliche the show is I'm gonna ignore them. You can't ever trust those reviews to give a fair judgement because the person writing probably disliked that genre in the first place and it's his bias speaking.

I agree with you on that one. I've seen people who have complained about a show having too much fan service even though the show is in the ecchi genre. These people dislike ecchi, yet still decide to watch a show in the ecchi genre and complain about it. I can never understand these people.
???

May 17, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2015
If I ever read a review (which is almost never), it is usually after I watch the show. I find no meaning in forming an opinion based on a single, random discrete point.

I do, however, sometimes take opinions into consideration before watching a show if I have previous knowledge of the reviewer's approach or preferences when discussing a genre/subgenre of anime.
refael9190May 17, 2016 12:06 PM
May 17, 2016 12:02 PM

Dec 2012
On the contrary, sometimes I watch shows because of the poor reviews (I don't read them, just see the low scores). It can be hit or miss at times, I did it with Guilty Crown and ended up really enjoying that.
May 17, 2016 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
I've generally given up on giving any heed to reviews, whether for anime or any other media. There have been some Western films that have received critical acclaim that I didn't enjoy, and similarly, some that receive little praise that really sucked me in. The same goes for anime: I'd originally not intended to watch K-On!, as I'd only seen negative things said about it. Then when I was in a KyoAni mood, I tried it on a whim, and really got a lot of good laughs out of it (the reviewers must have all hated CGDCT, I guess).
The recommendations section of an anime's page is where I put my focus, usually.
May 17, 2016 1:14 PM

Sep 2014
davinci12 said:
If an anime is rated below a 7 im not going to waste my time. Below a 7.5 i'll watch it if im really interested.

I can relate to that. There is a very low chance of me watching any anime which is below a 7.
???

May 17, 2016 2:10 PM
Aug 2014
I watch anime based on genre/synopsis. I view letting other people choose anime for me (through reviews) as the waste of time because it takes time to read reviews but they are rarely informative. Watching one or two episodes of an anime tells me more than most reviews do and I'd rather make up my own mind, anyway.
LadyElwingMay 17, 2016 2:17 PM
May 17, 2016 2:25 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Always form your own opinions. Good reviews can be just as misleading, don't trust anyone you don't know (or atleast check their other MAL ratings).
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 17, 2016 3:32 PM

Jan 2012
Typically no, and my idea of poor scores is anything with a mean score of less that 7.3. Even though 7.3 technically means good, most people on this sight tend to use 7 as their "average" score instead of 5, so I consider anything under 7.3 to be poor.

The way I see it, if the average person isn't as fond of a particular anime, then the odds that I won't be fond of it either are higher than they are for an anime the average person likes. That isn't to say there have been anime with high averages scores that I didn't like that much, but there has yet to be an anime with low averages scores that I have liked a lot.
May 17, 2016 5:18 PM

Dec 2012
I don't read reviews. Plot descriptions are the only things I read before starting a show.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 17, 2016 10:10 PM

Mar 2016
I usually skip it if it has poor reviews unless its a new show that hasn't gotten that much attention yet. Then I'll try it out but I can't say I finished many and enjoyed them in this situation.
May 17, 2016 10:17 PM

May 2014
Don't care about reviews and scores all that much. Thnx to that i got to see a great anime called School Days :3
May 18, 2016 12:22 AM

Jan 2014
Well, usually what I do is do some research like the producers, animation studio, and music composers. If the reviews are bad with bad personal standards, that I put that at the bottom of my priority list. I try to give every series a chance at least
May 18, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
Miraclezify said:

so - original question :

This guy gets it.

Sharing opinion is communication and communication is how we connect. I care a lot what other people think, because they may think something interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 18, 2016 1:00 AM

Nov 2015
lol I don't even read reviews tbh.
Unless it's from a credible source or I'm up for a good hearty laugh to lighten up my mood..
May 18, 2016 1:26 AM

Jul 2014
It's true reviews are more valuable to me than ratings. But if the synopsis sounds interesting to me or the show was recommended by someone whose opinion i appreciate i'll watch it anyway.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» we already have anime about 30 year old men so why not anime about 30 year old moms be the next trend?

tappioca - 9 hours ago

17 by old_geezer »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

40 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - Yesterday

75 by Auron_ »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - May 4

42 by Zimmu »»
12 minutes ago

» Is your waifu photogenic?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

14 by tchitchouan »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.