Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2016 8:39 PM

Feb 2014
yo' , I've been outta loop for quite some time. So, last anime I probably watch was either parasite or drrrx2
So, has anime gotten better? If so , what anime would you suggest I pick up?

This topic belongs here right?Been awhile, since I last visit the forums from 2015 I think.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 29, 2016 8:40 PM

Nov 2014
Is this a joke? Anime went downhill since 2008.

Apr 29, 2016 8:44 PM

Nov 2015
Yes..
Believe it or not anime has been getting better for the past couple of seasons..

You aren't watching bnha? wtf are you OP?
Apr 29, 2016 8:44 PM

Feb 2014
If you say so. I haven't really watch as much since I've been working.

@gesu whats bnha???

Apr 29, 2016 8:46 PM

Dec 2011
Watch Erased young boy. It is really good.
Apr 29, 2016 8:49 PM

Feb 2014
Thanks, gonna probably watch it next week.

Apr 29, 2016 9:16 PM

Jan 2011
Parasyte? that wasn't very long ago.. but yea it was good, I think anime can only get better because it's been so bad, recently there's Erased, it might be good but you can never fully trust the rating for newer anime.

ExTamplier said:

I've always held this opinion and as I see more people mention this here and there, maybe there is some truth to it.
Apr 29, 2016 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah..... This year so far is definitely better than last year.
Apr 29, 2016 10:32 PM

Dec 2015
dfjksf said:
If you say so. I haven't really watch as much since I've been working.

@gesu whats bnha???

He probably means Boku no Hero Academia. I believe it's pretty popular this season.
Apr 29, 2016 10:33 PM
Jan 2013
Anime doesn't change
You're the one who changes
For the better or the worse
gone bai bai
Apr 30, 2016 1:46 AM

May 2015
It does.

You have shows like Baccano from 2007 and Bakemonogatari from 2008 until now, culminating in Kizumonogatari movies.

You have Little Witch Academia and One Punch Man that saved anime. You have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that revived the shonen genre from its deadbeat horse. You can watch Kimi no Todoke and shed manly tears on a girl that looked like Sadako from the ring/the grudge/ju-on/whatever!

You can see how much LN got their exposure and justice in the form of No Game No Life, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, and the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online and the entirity of the Mother's Rosario Arc from Sword Art Online II.

Anime has been getting better and better, and with just this spring season, you have Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4, which is essentially Persona 4. You have Flying Witches, a comedy on par with Nichijou or Danshi Koukousei. You have Macross Delta, a show about Magical Space Idols curing Space Cancer.

Anime is DEFINITELY getting better now.
Apr 30, 2016 2:11 AM

Feb 2013
Mkim said:
Anime doesn't change
You're the one who changes
For the better or the worse

Also adding to that, what kind of anime you choose to watch from a certain fall, which which ultimately effects your opinion/s.
Apr 30, 2016 2:15 AM

Apr 2010
JoJo and Magi are the only saviors of 2016.
Apr 30, 2016 2:30 AM

Jun 2015
OPman saved anime? Sure.....
Well this year seems better than the past year when it comes to the average, at the very least.
Apr 30, 2016 2:37 AM

May 2008
There are several fujoshi shows coming out over the remainder of the year -- more so than there usually are. By the time 2017 rolls around people will be complaining about how yaoi killed anime and that kinda shit.

I mean, I think it's been a good year so far and will continue to be a good year. But given how MAL reacts to gay shit, I doubt most people will end up considering 2016 as a good year for anime.

Then again, every year is a good year for anime. It just depends on how seriously you take it.
Apr 30, 2016 2:38 AM

Oct 2014
It's better than last year that's for sure, but still nowhere near the level it was around 06/07.
Apr 30, 2016 4:18 AM

May 2015
BeBackinaSec said:
OPman saved anime? Sure.....
Well this year seems better than the past year when it comes to the average, at the very least.

At least you agreed Little Witch Academia did, lel.
Apr 30, 2016 4:21 AM
Apr 2016
dfjksf said:
yo' , I've been outta loop for quite some time. So, last anime I probably watch was either parasite or drrrx2

This topic belongs here right?Been awhile, since I last visit the forums from 2015 I think.

what to watch

no game no life

NOT to watch

attack on titan, one punch man
Apr 30, 2016 4:24 AM

Dec 2015
darkclown1992 said:
dfjksf said:

what to watch

no game no life

NOT to watch

attack on titan, one punch man

Lol i have to laugh at your attitude hahahah
OPM is for casuals after all
Apr 30, 2016 4:27 AM

Feb 2015
i don't know. what do you think ? to me, it's still good. it's an opinion not a fact btw.
i would probably recommend Re:Zero and Boku no Hero Academia to you from this season.
Apr 30, 2016 4:27 AM

Oct 2015
Nothing so far has really impressed me, but there's always at least one or two good shows every year. I still hold the position that anime on the whole has been going uphill since 2007, especially compared to the mess that was the early 2000's.
Apr 30, 2016 4:31 AM

Dec 2014
It's gotten better, yes. Especially if you compare the previous seasons' anime to the current.
Apr 30, 2016 4:41 AM
Jan 2015
If you compare this year to 2015, I think it is a better year in anime.

2016 started out with a bang with ERASED (for the good and the bad reasons) and the gem that is called Shouwa Rakugo. Fall 2015 and Summer 2015 carryovers (Gundam IBO, Lupin III, Haikyuu, Shirayuki-hime and Osomatsu) remained just as strong and Winter 2016's original series are thought provoking at best (Ajin and Grimgar) and comedic (KonoSuba, Sekkou Boys).

Short form animes are stronger too. I mean, rare are shows with the quality of Tabi Machi Late Show and She and Her Cat. Koyomimonogatari is a competent Monagatari entry and Rainbow Days reminds us that even generic anime shows, when executed properly can be a source of entertainment.

On the other hand, Spring 2016 (so far) brings a lot of watchable shows. Nothing awesome so far but there's nary a terribad show.

2015 has One Punch Man but I personally think the visuals are the main reason why that show worked in the first place.
Apr 30, 2016 4:44 AM

Aug 2015
What you like is subjective.
So no comment on this, it's your own decision to think this year is better or worser than previous years.

Apr 30, 2016 4:52 AM
Jan 2015
@Meritas, Mayoiga is something I classify as guilty pleasure. I don't want this to turn to a discussion to the series but I personally think Okada is intentionally writing the show to go in that direction. It's fun to see how stupid it will get so I don't consider it as unwatchable. Well, different people, different taste.
Apr 30, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2010
samui26 said:
@Meritas, Mayoiga is something I classify as guilty pleasure. I don't want this to turn to a discussion to the series but I personally think Okada is intentionally writing the show to go in that direction. It's fun to see how stupid it will get so I don't consider it as unwatchable. Well, different people, different taste.
Spending budget on joke anime isn't impoving the state of the industry in any way. It actually doing it worse service than your everyday bad anime.
Apr 30, 2016 5:24 AM

Apr 2016
Why no one has mentioned "Koutetsujou no Kabaneri"?
"You are weak. Why are you weak? Because you lack hatred."
Apr 30, 2016 5:25 AM

Dec 2010
SpaceSheep said:
As an example of a good anime? Because we have yet to see how it will turn out. There isn't much to work with at the moment.
Apr 30, 2016 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
im still waiting for a year like 2006 ...
2015 was definitely one of the worst year of anime
and winter 2016 was mediocre
Apr 30, 2016 5:27 AM
Jan 2015
@Meritas, but Mayoiga is just one of the dozens of shows airing this season. I don't see how it taints the industry - unless it reaches the level of Monogatari fame and people are actually shouting it's a masterpiece with a serious face. The way it is going right now, I honestly don't think so.

Hence, I see it's an objectively bad show but I do not see it can influence other shows to do the same IMO.
Apr 30, 2016 5:27 AM

Nov 2012
1887, now that was the year for anime.

Apr 30, 2016 5:33 AM

Oct 2014
I don't think anime overall has gotten better, if anything then it's only the animation that has gotten better.
Many anime nowadays have just very generic plot and often times don't even make sense. The newer battle shounen are kinda weak, especially boku no hero academia imo.
I can't understand people who state boku no hero academia and boku dake ga inai machi as the examples as for why anime has gotten better.

Seriously, boku no hero academia is nowhere as good as the other shounen anime from Shounen Jump manga. Boku dake ga inai machi doesn't even fucking make sense, no explanation to its main plot point at all (not spoilering anything now).

To sum it up:

- Animation-wise -> better
- Plot/characters/pacing/atmosphere etc. -> worse
MadaonaireApr 30, 2016 5:43 AM
Apr 30, 2016 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
Zazie122 said:
There are several fujoshi shows coming out over the remainder of the year -- more so than there usually are. By the time 2017 rolls around people will be complaining about how yaoi killed anime and that kinda shit.

I mean, I think it's been a good year so far and will continue to be a good year. But given how MAL reacts to gay shit, I doubt most people will end up considering 2016 as a good year for anime.

Then again, every year is a good year for anime. It just depends on how seriously you take it.

I don't know what you're talking about, most people don't care about yaoi series enough to complain about it, that's the minority. The series that will always get the blame is the generic fantasy battle harem manga from light novels.
Apr 30, 2016 5:57 AM

Oct 2014
ColdBreeze said:
Madaonaire said:
I don't think anime overall has gotten better, if anything then it's only the animation that has gotten better.
Many anime nowadays have just very generic plot and often times don't even make sense. The newer battle shounen are kinda weak, especially boku no hero academia imo.
I can't understand people who state boku no hero academia and boku dake ga inai machi as the examples as for why anime has gotten better.

Seriously, boku no hero academia is nowhere as good as the shounen anime from Shounen Jump manga. Boku dake ga inai machi doesn't even fucking make sense, no explanation to its main plot point at all (not spoilering anything now).

To sum it up:

- Animation-wise -> better
- Plot/characters/pacing/atmosphere etc. -> worse

Someone is bashing BnHA, not that I care though.

How is Plot/characters/pacing/atmosphere etc worse now? You will always find an anime with something good in it. Do you have examples for your statement?
And don't compare the worst anime in the recent years with the best of the last decade.

Well, nowadays you have like 8-9 generic, poor executed anime out of 10. As for an example, I take the anime from this season.
I think I looked into nearly every ongoing anime this season and the ones with interesting characters and pacing are imo JoJo, Koutetsujou (though this one is just an AoT copy with high budget, so expected), Sakamoto and to some extent Re:Zero.
Big Order seems to have potential as well.
Other anime range from mediocre to unbearable.

Of course, there's still lots of episodes to improve, but you can predict the direction most anime are going to take or they're uninteresting nonetheless.
Apr 30, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2014
Hmm, guess "generic" is not really what I hate, because nearly every character archetype/every plot has been used in any similar way. I think the one thing I hate is that those "generic" elements are just tossed in randomly and the characters just don't have that much depth to them.
Anime are still good and there's always a season with tons of gems to be found. It's just that nowadays, there's always at minimum one anime with poorly executed "MC goes to fantasy/game world" plot.
Also those supernatural anime, where you have a power with random English power names, let's call it "Hundred", combined with a mix of generic harem girls who each have very short screen time and no depth at all, aggravate me the most.

Anyways, I've learnt to accept the fact that many new anime will be crap, so I just sort them out after watching like 2-3 eps.
Apr 30, 2016 6:36 AM

Jul 2015
Phantom world was a disappointment, ERASED (while good) is overrated af and this season has been kind of a let down overall.

But I think it'll be a good year when all is said and done. There are a few interesting shows this summer as well as both "A silent voice" by kyoani and "Your name" towards the end of summer. In fall we might see AoT season 2 and most likely Hibike 2. I'm sure there will be some pleasant surprises along the way.

Idk if it's getting better but it's not getting worse I can tell you that much.
Apr 30, 2016 6:40 AM

Mar 2013
The quality of this year's anime and last year's anime, with like maybe one or two exceptions, feels the same so far tbh. But I want to wait till the other seasons come before I make a solid opinion.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Apr 30, 2016 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
Can't say for sure if it's better overall since there are definitely new animes that made me think "eh? why'd they even make this into an anime?"

But I'm definitely glad they're producing more animes now than they did in the past though... even if not all of them are winners.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 30, 2016 2:49 PM

Jun 2015
The only shows worth watching from this season is both JJBA Part 4 and Sakamoto.
2015 was awful.
Apr 30, 2016 3:11 PM

Jul 2011
No, it haven't got better or worse, it's the same that always.
Apr 30, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
Praland said:
This. THIS. THISSSS!!!!

It's mostly the same, it's not better but it's not worse either. Each season has some gems/enjoyable shows to watch, while also having it's fair share of terrible stuff. I'll that this season has a decent amount of enjoyable shows, and summer looks even more promising.
Apr 30, 2016 3:27 PM

May 2015
No.
The best year in anime was 2010 because Durarara!!, Katanagatari and Tatami Galaxy aired in that year and they are better then 99% of anime.
keragamming said:
Zazie122 said:

I don't know what you're talking about, most people don't care about yaoi series enough to complain about it, that's the minority. The series that will always get the blame is the generic fantasy battle harem manga from light novels.
Yeah they aren't getting hate yet but once more fujoshi anime is made because people realize that fujos have money too people will complain about fujo anime and how it's killing anime just like generic light novel battle harems and moe.
SpaceSheep said:

Because we're trying to recommend him good anime.
Glub said:
Watch Erased young boy. It is really good.

plz
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 30, 2016 3:32 PM
Apr 2016
dfjksf said:

So a lot of people have been saying it's been getting better, what shows specifically? Because I've been hunting in anime of the past for good shows, I've prettymuch given up on recent anime other than like Attack on Titan. What's good right now? (Note: I don't like SAO or HunterxHunter, or danganropa)
Apr 30, 2016 3:32 PM

Nov 2013
this season is probably the worst season this decade.

i noticed it started getting really boring like 2 season ago and it's been only downhill since then. Hopefully it gets better but that chance is very tiny.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Apr 30, 2016 3:43 PM

Oct 2014
ExTamplier said:
Nah bro, 2013 is the year that anime started to go downhill.

There was even someone who said "anime has gone downhill in the last while" bad in the 90s. Anime is always going down apparently.
Apr 30, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
dim_benes said:
dfjksf said:

So a lot of people have been saying it's been getting better, what shows specifically? Because I've been hunting in anime of the past for good shows, I've prettymuch given up on recent anime other than like Attack on Titan. What's good right now? (Note: I don't like SAO or HunterxHunter, or danganropa)
How far in the past are we going? Only recently we had Haikyuu!!!, Kuroko no Basket (not the best, but still good), Barakamon, Non Non Biyori, Gatari series, Parasyte, Rokka no Yuusha, Akatsuki no Yona etc.

Ofc they aren't for everyone so perhaps they just don't fall into your taste, but I wouldn't say any of those are bad/not even worth watching. Comparing it to shows from other eras is a different.
Apr 30, 2016 4:20 PM

Nov 2008
SoL has been getting better since 2007.

Idol anime are better than ever.

The era of bad LN adaptations is almost over.

Apr 30, 2016 4:24 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Duatizer said:
So no comment on this, it's your own decision to think this year is better or worser than previous years.

THIS

Praland said:

and THIS.. your signature always makes me lol

Anime has NOT gotten better or worse.... it can't

we don't all like the same shit no matter what year it is, so howtf can anime get better or worse when we can't all agree on whats good and whats not?

you pick what YOU think looks interesting and stop giving a shit what random asses on an anime site think you should watch
Apr 30, 2016 4:26 PM
Apr 2016
Snappynator said:
dim_benes said:

How far in the past are we going? Only recently we had Haikyuu!!!, Kuroko no Basket (not the best, but still good), Barakamon, Non Non Biyori, Gatari series, Parasyte, Rokka no Yuusha, Akatsuki no Yona etc.

Ofc they aren't for everyone so perhaps they just don't fall into your taste, but I wouldn't say any of those are bad/not even worth watching. Comparing it to shows from other eras is a different.

I think 2 years is a good time frame. From that time period I also liked parasyte and OPM. Drrrx2 was super disappointing for me, stopped watching.
Apr 30, 2016 4:27 PM
Apr 2016
Mamster-P said:
Duatizer said:

QFT

Anime has NOT gotten better or worse.... it can't

we don't all like the same shit no matter what year it is, so howtf can anime get better or worse when we can't all agree on whats good and whats not?

you pick what YOU think looks interesting and stop giving a shit what random asses on an anime site think you should watch

Yes it can. I think it's the same same music. I don't think there's any artist right now that will ever rival the popularity of Michael Jackson, for example.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

32 by nishant0 »»
8 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

18 by somegayfrog »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9070 by anime-prime »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.