Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 17, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2014
Hey guys, so I got a 3DS a while ago now but the only reason I got it was for Pokemon but I'm looking to branch out a bit and try other games. Anything good will do, I'm not after a specific type just maybe your favourite or best games.

I don't really know where to start as I have close to 0 knowledge about the various games for 3DS so recommendations would really help.

Thanks! ^u^
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 17, 2016 10:17 PM

Apr 2016
Definitely try out bravely default! it's an rpg game and from square enix. bravely default 2 came out recently and i havent tried it yet but I loved the first one. If you like final fantasy you'll probably enjoy it.

I also like rune factory since I like simulation games :P
Apr 17, 2016 11:31 PM

Feb 2015
The Kid Icarus game is pretty awesome if you're okay with its gameplay. Also has plenty of hilarious dialogue between the characters.
Apr 18, 2016 12:15 AM

Sep 2014
Michelle_Hung said:
Definitely try out bravely default! it's an rpg game and from square enix. bravely default 2 came out recently and i havent tried it yet but I loved the first one. If you like final fantasy you'll probably enjoy it.

I also like rune factory since I like simulation games :P
Milennin said:
The Kid Icarus game is pretty awesome if you're okay with its gameplay. Also has plenty of hilarious dialogue between the characters.
Thanks, i'll check these out.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 18, 2016 9:29 AM

Jan 2013
Right now I can't really recommend anything fresh because the 3DS seems to produce a wave of good games every so often and then have periods where there's absolutely nothing good to play.

Previous classics:
Bravely Default,
Rune Factory 4,
Etrian Odyssey 4,
Etrian Odyssey 1: Untold,
Etrian Odyssey 2: Untold,
Monster Hunter 4,
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call-- if you like Final Fantasy or easy music games

I heard Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was good but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. (you wanted to avoid pokemon tho)

There is also the eShop where you can download Virtual Console games, and third party games. Shantae, Gunvolt, and Liberation Maiden were pretty good.

Don't forget about backwards compatibility. The 3DS can play DS games, even if you can't download them. If you can manage to order them online, a few recommendations would be:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
Dragon Quest 9
Children of Mana
... the entire collection of Pokemon games on the DS: Pearl/Diamond/Platinum HeartGold/SoulSilver Black/White Black2/White2
Radiant Historia
The World Ends With You
Professor Layton games
Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6
Apr 18, 2016 9:32 AM

Nov 2014
Fire Emblem: Awakening and the more recent, Fire Emblem: Fates
They're revolutionary :)
The 3DS has lots of nice games that'll keep you occupied for months :3

Check out Super Mario 3D Land too :3 it's a great game

And of course, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Apr 18, 2016 9:35 AM

Aug 2014
Best games on 3DS:

Senran Kagura Full Burst
Senran Kagura Deep Crimson
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 18, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2013
The Fire Emblem games, Mario Kart 7 and Persona Q are all tons of fun with many hours of potential gameplay. Kirby Triple Deluxe is also very cute, but it's a little easy. Rayman Origins is one of the best platformers you can get on a handheld so I highly recommend checking that out too, it's pretty cheap nowadays.
Apr 18, 2016 12:53 PM

May 2015
If you can get your hands on it, play Zero Escape: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (aka "999"). If you've never read/played a Visual Novel before, 999 is a great game to start you off. It's originally for the DS, but you can play it on a 3DS.

And when you're done with 999, continue on to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.
Apr 18, 2016 4:27 PM

Feb 2011
For the 3DS, I recommend:

Bravely Default (JRPG)
Fire Emblem Awakening
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

For the DS games, which all work on 3DS:

999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (visual novel, but an actually fun one)
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team
Mega Man Star Force (or 2 or 3, they're great if you want more of it, but mostly more of the same)

You've probably already heard the Pokemon suggestions or have some, so I left them out. Dragon Quest is one of the best JRPG series of all time, and the ones for the DS are the best in the series. I wholeheartedly recommend them. MMBN5: Double Team is also amazing, and is effectively two games in one. All 3DS games I listed are really well designed and have a great aesthetic look to each of them, so be sure to give them a look to see if they might be your taste.

The earlier suggestions of Radiant Historia and the Professor Layton games are pretty good (also might want to give the Ace Attorney games a look if you like courtroom/detective stories and/or visual novels). I don't recommend Final Fantasy Tactics A2 though. While the original was amazing, the sequel is mediocre at best.
morpholomewApr 18, 2016 4:32 PM
Apr 18, 2016 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
Shin Megami Tensei 4.
Devil survivor 1 and 2.
VanisherApr 18, 2016 5:54 PM
Apr 18, 2016 5:01 PM

Oct 2014
really loving super mystery dungeon at the moment but if you are looking to branch from Pokemon, try fire emblem!
you can find me at www.youtube.com/jerbanie where i upload
anime reviews, first impressions, countdowns and other garbage
Apr 18, 2016 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
morpholomew said:
I don't recommend Final Fantasy Tactics A2 though. While the original was amazing, the sequel is mediocre at best.
I will fite U

[15 characters]
Apr 18, 2016 5:48 PM

Feb 2010
FFTA2 plot, setting and atmosphere are terrible, which were some of the best things about the original FFT.

Gameplay is alright but there's nothing crazy about it.

So yeah, I would never recommend it over FFT or Tactics Ogre.
Apr 18, 2016 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
Rune Factory 4.
And maybe Pokemon....
Apr 18, 2016 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
Don't bother with the censored Bravely Second, Fire Emblem Fates or Bravely Default. I'd recommend you hack your system and get the uncensored versions online for free.

Yar har.

Also, Eltrian Odyssey's are all good.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 18, 2016 6:38 PM

Nov 2012
Vanisher said:
FFTA2 plot, setting and atmosphere are terrible, which were some of the best things about the original FFT.

Gameplay is alright but there's nothing crazy about it.

So yeah, I would never recommend it over FFT or Tactics Ogre.
So is Tactics Ogre for Advance OK to get?
Apr 20, 2016 7:54 PM

Oct 2009
The best 3DS game is A Link Between Worlds. It's one of the best games Nintendo's ever made. Check it out even if you haven't played A Link to the Past.

Fire Emblem Conquests is the best rpg for 3DS, but if you prefer more traditional jrpgs, then Bravely Default ain't bad. It gets groggy toward the middle, but it has a super strong start and end + amazing art direction and a stellar score.

Apr 20, 2016 10:56 PM

Apr 2015
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Bravely Second: End Layer
Tobidase Dōbutsu no Mori (shut up, I'll call it what I want)
Stella Glow

I would say Fire Emblem if, but it has one of the shittiest localizations ever. Fire Emblem: Kakusei's localization is slightly less shitty.
My waifu, do not steal.
Apr 21, 2016 9:32 AM

Oct 2009
Bravely Second's localization is far worse than Fire Emblem Fates'.

Apr 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Oct 2015
Super Smash Brothers
Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Mario Kart 7
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
Kid Icarus Uprising.
I heard the Fire Emblem games were pretty goo but I don't know which ones are the best.
Apr 21, 2016 12:48 PM

Jun 2013
I also bought a 3DS solely for Alpha Sapphire.

Turns out, there's plenty of other games worth playing:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Fire Emblem (Awakening or Fates)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS (if you have the NEW 3DS and have a lot of free time)
Apr 21, 2016 2:25 PM

Jun 2015
Try monster hunter 4 ultimate if you're looking for a hack and slash game. Really fun, and it'll keep you going for hours. If you can handle it's learning curve.
Apr 21, 2016 2:43 PM

Nov 2012
Fire Emblem: Awakening is a master piece game. Still the best 3ds game yet. But Fates is stiil not out in Europe so i can't be for sure.
Apr 21, 2016 3:38 PM

May 2014
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Persona Q
Mario Kart 7....maybe
Apr 21, 2016 5:04 PM

Oct 2015
Animal Crossing New Leaf!!! :D It's a really fun and cute game.
Apr 22, 2016 6:37 AM
Jul 2015
Smash bros for 3ds, Bravely default (and maybe its sequel) and FE: awakening.

Besides the second one probably will make you play the other fire emblems (I couldn't play fates yet, so I can't talk about it).

I didn't played it but I heard majora's mask for 3ds is very good.

Apr 22, 2016 6:43 AM

Aug 2014
lucjan said:
The best 3DS game is A Link Between Worlds. It's one of the best games Nintendo's ever made. Check it out even if you haven't played A Link to the Past.

Yes I definitely agree with this, best zelda game by far.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 22, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2016
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Monster Hunter 4
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem: Awakening
It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Apr 23, 2016 12:34 PM
Dec 2014
Mario kart and definetely Animal Crossing.
j
Apr 23, 2016 2:19 PM

Feb 2008
Syrup- said:
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call-- if you like Final Fantasy or easy music games

Seconding this. It's really entertaining if you like Final Fantasy or have nostalgia for the music. It's a very basic rhythm game otherwise, although it has some nice RPG elements. Now, while it might be easy most of the time, some songs are just brutal. I still can't beat Force Your Way on hardest difficulty, athough I'm playing with stylus. The song just kills me.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 23, 2016 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
ZetaZaku said:
Syrup- said:

Seconding this. It's really entertaining if you like Final Fantasy or have nostalgia for the music. It's a very basic rhythm game otherwise, although it has some nice RPG elements. Now, while it might be easy most of the time, some songs are just brutal. I still can't beat Force Your Way on hardest difficulty, athough I'm playing with stylus. The song just kills me.
Yeah don't underestimate the DLC BMS maps either, they can be brutal. Otherwise the game is quite easy compared to other rhythm games
Apr 23, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
Buy her game faggots
Apr 23, 2016 9:47 PM

Jan 2015
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 7, Shovel Knight, Fire Emblem: Fates.
Apr 23, 2016 10:04 PM

Apr 2014
I have been playing the 3DS for about 2 years now and so far, I have come to love...

-Animal Crossing New Leaf (a game that is a very big time consumer and is fun when you get past all of the pay you have to do with your house. It is also fun to just see what animals you get as villagers.)

-Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (A game that usually requires friends but not always since it has a multiplayer mode online to help find you a match, but is also a time consumer. You are constantly grinding for new items but they hold events that can get you many nintendo-like items such as Link armor and weapons from Zelda.)

-Smash (If you enjoyed any of the Smash games growing up, you are going to love this one. Even though it is more recommended on the WiiU, it is a lot more competitive on the DS. There may be a lot of lag and now DLC that costs money, it gives you something really fun to do if you are bored.)

Story of Seasons (A game most similar to the old Harvest Moon games, or more recently I could compare it to stardew valley without fighting. I enjoyed this game due to it being very similar to harvest moon and the fact its very open and you can do many many things on it, such as, have a child with a male or female and have that child be raised into your farming career. It may be a grind to get that male or female but it is very worth it in the end. This game also has an amazing story line.)

These are the main ones I have played and have enjoyed, so I hope this helped you out too!
Apr 24, 2016 8:02 AM

Jul 2010
Try the newly released Fire Emblem Fates or it's predecessor, Fire Emblem Awakening. Whichever you choose, they are one of the best jrpg's out there.
Apr 24, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2015
Bravely Default
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Animal Crossing
Persona Q
Apr 24, 2016 9:20 AM

Feb 2011
black1blade said:
lucjan said:

its not even in the top 10
Apr 24, 2016 9:58 AM

Oct 2009
Kittenpotpie said:
black1blade said:

It's definitely in the top 10.

And to OP: I don't recommend Smash or Xenoblade. They're good games, just not on the 3DS. You're going to break your 3DS playing Smash on it and trying to play a game as expansive as Xenoblade on a small 240p display is going to be more frustrating than enjoyable. I tried playing Xenoblade on my Wii U's larger, 480p display just for heck of it, and I couldn't. Xenoblade Chronicles demands a large screen.

Apr 24, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2011
lucjan said:
Kittenpotpie said:

better games:
a link to the past
ocarina of time
majoras mask
windwaker
twilight princess
skyward sword
four swords adventures
links awakening
oracle of seasons
oracle of ages
minish cap

worse games:
links crossbow training
phantom hourglass
spirit tracks
triforce heroes
four swords
zelda
zelda ii
hyrule warriors
cdi zeldas
Apr 24, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2013
Zelda 2 is good though. And so is Hyrule Warriors.
Apr 24, 2016 12:53 PM

Oct 2009
Kittenpotpie said:
lucjan said:

better games:
a link to the past
ocarina of time
majoras mask
windwaker
twilight princess
skyward sword
four swords adventures
links awakening
oracle of seasons
oracle of ages
minish cap

worse games:
links crossbow training
phantom hourglass
spirit tracks
triforce heroes
four swords
zelda
zelda ii
hyrule warriors
cdi zeldas

Skyward Sword is awful.
Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess are okay.
Majora's Mask is good.
Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, and Windwaker are amazing. I place A Link Between Worlds on par with these Zelda titles.
Never played Four Sword Adventures and Minish Cap.

Apr 24, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
Kittenpotpie said:
black1blade said:

It's better than all the 3D games by far.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 24, 2016 4:08 PM
Jan 2016
Recommendation list for you : ). There is plenty of great titles missing but these quickly came to mind..

If you like JRPGS..
-Tales of the Abyss
-Fire Emblem Fates
-Fire Emblem Awakening
-Rune Factory 4(easily my favorite game on the system)
-Persona Q(I would only recommend this if you played both Persona 3 and 4 to get the full appreciation).

If you like adventure titles..
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3DS
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS
The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds

3D Platforming
Rayman 3D(People really forgot about this one since its like the tenth rerelease heh)
Super Mario 3D Land

E-Shop Exclusives
Shovel Knight(8-bit old school platform title that is outstanding)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Mellow Games
Animal Crossing: New leaf
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

Puzzles:
Professor Layton Series
Zero Escape: 999(DS)
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward(3DS)

Zero Escape by the way is one of the most outstanding games I have played from a Nintendo handheld. If you want an excellent plot full of crazy mystery with gritty aspects to it then you'll love it.
SummerMamboApr 24, 2016 4:12 PM
Apr 24, 2016 7:05 PM

Jun 2014
Gabagool said:

Kingdom Hearts DDD

One Piece Unlimited Cruise sp (Europe only, or cfw), zelda games, and super smash are the only ones so I played so far and love them all
Apr 27, 2016 12:40 AM

Jun 2015
rawr97 said:
Gabagool said:

Kingdom Hearts DDD

One Piece Unlimited Cruise sp (Europe only, or cfw), zelda games, and super smash are the only ones so I played so far and love them all

There's also Unlimited World Red as an alternative.

I would add Youkai Watch and the Inazuma Eleven games to the list as well. Only one is available on the US but the rest are available in Europe and Japan. Youkai Watch is basically Pokemon with ghost while Inazuma Eleven is an Anime Football RPG. Both are by the same developer.

You should also give Corpse Party a try once it hits the shelves on 3DS. It's available on PC right now though.

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
32 minutes ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
4 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
5 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
7 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
Today, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.