Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 8, 2016 2:36 PM
Oct 2014
Helenus said:
Why do SJWs even bother to watch this kind of shows? Just to have something to nag about? It is beyond my comprehension :D

I'm just glad Japan doesn't give a *beep* about complains from the West. The sales in Japan count. Not how Western feminazis see this show :D

It says a lot about you that you immediately resort to calling people SJWs or feminazis (nice buzzwords btw), when anyone with a semblance of logic can see why this story might put people off.

And to actually answer the question, I keep giving gay-themed anime a shot because I will forever hold out hope that sporadically they'll get some of it right. It's my fault really for expecting more out of an entire niche sub-genre that clearly aims to fetishize LGBT relationships.
Apr 8, 2016 2:39 PM

Mar 2015
Vars said:
Helenus said:
Why do SJWs even bother to watch this kind of shows? Just to have something to nag about? It is beyond my comprehension :D

I'm just glad Japan doesn't give a *beep* about complains from the West. The sales in Japan count. Not how Western feminazis see this show :D

It says a lot about you that you immediately resort to calling people SJWs or feminazis (nice buzzwords btw), when anyone with a semblance of logic can see why this story might put people off.

And to actually answer the question, I keep giving gay-themed anime a shot because I will forever hold out hope that sporadically they'll get some of it right. It's my fault really for expecting more out of an entire niche sub-genre that clearly aims to fetishize LGBT relationships.

Yes, it is fetishizing gay relationships. Ecchi and Hentai fetishize women and hetero-relationships. It's fiction. They don't have to aim for realism.
Apr 8, 2016 4:54 PM

Nov 2011
Helenus said:
Vars said:

Yes, it is fetishizing gay relationships. Ecchi and Hentai fetishize women and hetero-relationships. It's fiction. They don't have to aim for realism.

For the most part I have chosen to ignore you, Helenus, because you lack actual logic and only seem bent on making what you think are snarky and clever remarks and, as @Vars (who I have now decided is my new friend) stated, you just use SJW and Feminazi as a general term for people who don't agree with you.

However I will comment on this particular post. The difference between Hentai fetishizing things (which isn't okay either but whatever it's gonna happen) is that Hentai is 18+. Shounen ai attracts people of ages as young as 11. People with EXTREMELY impressionable minds. Comparing Hentai and a shounen ai like this would be similar to comparing Clockwork Orange to Gravity Falls or something. One is accessible and intended for a younger audience, the other is effectively rated X. (Yes, when Clockwork Orange first hit theaters way back when it was X-rated.)

If something is aimed at a younger audience it should be understood that whether or not YOU see it as pure fiction, many young minds will be shaped and molded by it.
Apr 8, 2016 5:04 PM

Mar 2015
Amberleh said:
Helenus said:

For the most part I have chosen to ignore you, Helenus, because you lack actual logic and only seem bent on making what you think are snarky and clever remarks and, as @Vars (who I have now decided is my new friend) stated, you just use SJW and Feminazi as a general term for people who don't agree with you.

However I will comment on this particular post. The difference between Hentai fetishizing things (which isn't okay either but whatever it's gonna happen) is that Hentai is 18+. Shounen ai attracts people of ages as young as 11. People with EXTREMELY impressionable minds. Comparing Hentai and a shounen ai like this would be similar to comparing Clockwork Orange to Gravity Falls or something. One is accessible and intended for a younger audience, the other is effectively rated X. (Yes, when Clockwork Orange first hit theaters way back when it was X-rated.)

If something is aimed at a younger audience it should be understood that whether or not YOU see it as pure fiction, many young minds will be shaped and molded by it.

Well, obviously you won't consider the aspects I mentioned in the discussion before. You don't have to and I don't judge you. Your point is: fiction can lead to severe consequences. People watching 'ephebophilia' or rape will be influenced in their behaviour. I say: this is ridiculous. A person, who is so easily influenced should seek psychological help immidiately. There is a reason why fiction can overcome the boundaries of reality. It's a phantasy. No more. No less (except the things you pointed out don't even apply to Super Lovers ;) ).

But one thing I'd like to stress: I have never - not on these forums or irl - cared if somebody agreed with me. I just don't care.

Best regards,

Helenus.
HelenusApr 8, 2016 5:16 PM
Apr 8, 2016 9:09 PM

Jan 2016
Amberleh said:
I also want to point out that, no matter what may happen in THIS series, in real life, once Ren became an adult Haru would no longer have any sexual interest in him whatsoever.

Oh wow, did u write the story?? how do u even know Haru wont interested in ren once he became adult?lol are u the mangaka?
and stop compare it to real life, IF its written Haru love ren as pure brotherly OR he will love ren till adult, n they still become couple until they die..THAT is the story of from the manga its self(heck thats why its the good thing bout manga, its doesnt have to be realistic),its up to the mangaka how she make the story and how she ended it,....really, why u forced ur realistic mind to the story...and make ur own scenario, ur not the author. If u tend to be realistic and like to compare it to ur mind, why read manga or watch anime? Its full of fantasy and tend not to be realistic, cuz its the fantasy/imagination from the author.
Sorry for my english, is not my native language..so...

And ppl, stop compare it to BNP, this episode doesnt have romantic or even sexual things,in this episode haru just seeing ren as brother -_- and there will be the time skip, who read the manga must know it.
I'm really tired with all the fuss and hate this anime recieved, maybe I should avoid any forum...
Apr 8, 2016 10:40 PM

Oct 2010
Okay, this isn't that bad.... but it creeps me out since I'm not into BL so I'm outta here.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Apr 8, 2016 10:43 PM

Nov 2014
Amberleh said:

Just when I thought I couldn't be any more disgusted with this anime, you hit the nail on the head with this post. You're absolutely right. This is child grooming.

I try to keep an open, sex-positive mind about these kinds of stories. As a bisexual male, it does sometimes annoy me how gay men are often depicted as sexual predators and rapists in yaoi. However, I figure that if it's okay for guys (and some girls) to enjoy gainaxing and pantsu in ecchi, it should be okay for girls (and some guys) to enjoy sexually aggressive guys with Dorito chins in yaoi. There's something for everyone; everyone's happy.

But we have to draw the line somewhere. Seeing a grown ass adult make sexual advances on a child shouldn't be considered sexy. It's fucked up.
Apr 9, 2016 12:23 AM

Jul 2011
Let's skip the gross inaccuracies in the depiction of the Canadian Rockies. At least the anime changed the trees to evergreens.

Having read the manga and watching this episode, Ren is still adorable and intelligent, but Haru gets more creepy and (subtly) manipulative in the timeskip after the accident (in the preview). I find it very strange how they chose to adapt this work out of all the BL that's out there. When it comes to BL it's important to suspend your belief about certain actions or morals sometimes (in the grand scheme of things), but stuff happens frequently in Super Lovers and it tries to take itself seriously...

Meanwhile Doukyuusei only gets a movie, why.
MirorinApr 9, 2016 12:29 AM
Apr 9, 2016 3:50 AM

Mar 2012
hm... i liked the comedy thrown in this but it was REALLY uncomfortable to watch. I had my fair share of yaoi but this is pushing it. Haru is... creepy!

Apr 9, 2016 4:13 AM

Feb 2016
_sakuJo_ said:
hm... i liked the comedy thrown in this but it was REALLY uncomfortable to watch. I had my fair share of yaoi but this is pushing it. Haru is... creepy!

Oh please. Haru's not creepy, he's just clingy that's all. If you've read the manga then you'll understand that he just wants to live with the remaining family he has left because of that impending doom at the end of episode 1 and even before then, Haru has always been family oriented.
I think that strangers are just friends you haven't met.

Apr 9, 2016 6:47 AM

Nov 2007
This was much better than expected.
I initially didn't even want to watch this as i'm not a fan of Japan's obsession with incest/borderline incest...but how many BL animes do we get that i can be picky?
Anyway,that ending was like yoooo

Tho lol at all the dudebros who be like "this shit is so creepy" while they thrive in watching ecchi animus with little girls being obsessed with their "onii-chan" but ok.

Btw.are they sure those "dogs" are not in fact,wolves?
Apr 9, 2016 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
Black_wind said:

Tho lol at all the dudebros who be like "this shit is so creepy" while they thrive in watching ecchi animus with little girls being obsessed with their "onii-chan" but ok.

Wow.
Finally somebody, who has also sensed the sweet stench of hypocrisy in this thread.
Apr 9, 2016 7:45 AM

Mar 2012
krazykillerkurt said:
_sakuJo_ said:

Oh please. Haru's not creepy, he's just clingy that's all. If you've read the manga then you'll understand that he just wants to live with the remaining family he has left because of that impending doom at the end of episode 1 and even before then, Haru has always been family oriented.

well, he did kiss an 8 year old so...
My opinion is just based on this first episode and i should not feel obligated to read the manga to understand his reasoning, so i'm just saying i got some creepy vibes that's all 'ω'

Apr 9, 2016 8:41 AM

Sep 2015
Helenus said:
Black_wind said:

Wow.
Finally somebody, who has also sensed the sweet stench of hypocrisy in this thread.

Lol I was really tempted to use this card several times but no, don't want to lit a bigger flame.

If only this isn't a shounen-ai then Haru kissing Ren (in a glaringly obvious non-sexual way, more like playfully) wouldn't be such a big deal.
Ioryogi-kunApr 9, 2016 8:45 AM
Apr 9, 2016 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Wow lol where was this shitfest during Junjou Romantica's rape storyline?
Apr 9, 2016 10:39 AM

Nov 2014
Black_wind said:

I don't know what thread you're looking at, but in this one I see complaints from a lot of different people, not just "dudebros" with their favorites filled with ecchi.
Apr 9, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2010
Amberleh said:

Ahhh, i see, you are one of these people who think that fiction = reality. Well if someone get shaped and modeld by a fictional story with fictional characters then this person is already completely fucked up to begin with. But honestly i never read anywhere this correlation.

Basing your logic to every entertainmente and fictional stuff, if i play a shooter i can become a school bomber, if i play a rape game i'm going to rape people, if... oh please stop with this nonsense.
You don't have any proof, you just dislike a show, point, if this is the case just drop it and move on, no need to write these bs nobody sane believe.

Ioryogi-kun said:
Helenus said:

Wow.

Lol I was really tempted to use this card several times but no, don't want to lit a bigger flame.

If only this isn't a shounen-ai then Haru kissing Ren (in a glaringly obvious non-sexual way, more like playfully) wouldn't be such a big deal.

Yep, i don't get these people, if i don't like something i just drop it and i have full respect for other people who enjoy it expecially when we speaking about fictional stuff that do not resemble any real situation.
Fn76Apr 9, 2016 11:20 AM
Apr 9, 2016 12:53 PM

Nov 2007
aikaflip said:
Black_wind said:

I don't know what thread you're looking at, but in this one I see complaints from a lot of different people, not just "dudebros" with their favorites filled with ecchi.

I'm not saying it's just them...i'm just saying that if someone has no fuckin right to even open their mouths it's them.

You ladies, gentlemen, cats, trees, genderfluid folks who don't watch Umaru or other stuff like that can complain all you want to.
but...you better do something less useless, like watching anime of an genre you enjoy, for example. Because this anime is going to continue air and some people are going to enjoy it and you won't do shit about it^^

Every time some BL anime airs, otaku dudes just flock to it like angry bees, (some even) watch the first episode and be like "eww,that's so gay!( No shit Sherlock...that's kinda the point...) It's so problematic and shitty and why it even exists, boku no pico blah blah"
They are aware the genre is BL, they are aware they don't like BL, they are aware they are not the target audience, they read the goddamn description...but they still be fuckin annoying and rain on someones parade. Like,why do you even bother?
Apr 9, 2016 12:55 PM

Sep 2015
Fnights said:

Yep, i don't get these people, if i don't like something i just drop it and i have full respect for other people who enjoy it expecially when we speaking about fictional stuff that do not resemble any real situation.

Since it's still episode 1, it's understandable. Many people 'blind' watch every new titles that comes out every season without looking for more detailed info on what will be in them. I do it too sometimes, minus the complaining. Let's see next episode. Really hope they won't stay around and watch just to complain about the exact same thing next week.

Also, I don't think this show is aimed at 'younger audiences'... and all the complain about child grooming and sexual advance on a child makes me wonder: are those people really watching this episode and not imagining things as they like? seriously get your mind out of the dirt none of those stuffs happen in this episode.

Black_wind said:

Every time some BL anime airs, otaku dudes just flock to it like angry bees, (some even) watch the first episode and be like "eww,that's so gay!( No shit Sherlock...that's kinda the point...)

lmao and one even went as far as to write a 'review' for this, claiming to have watched all ten episodes.
Ioryogi-kunApr 9, 2016 12:59 PM
Apr 9, 2016 1:06 PM

Mar 2015
Finally the comments in this thread are back on track.

Thanks @Fnights, @Black_Wind and @Ioryogi-kun!

For a second I thought I wasn't on mal but on tumblr...
Apr 9, 2016 2:44 PM
Sep 2009
I don't know how to feel about it... age difference does bug me here.
Apr 9, 2016 8:02 PM

Feb 2016
_sakuJo_ said:
krazykillerkurt said:

My opinion is just based on this first episode and i should not feel obligated to read the manga to understand his reasoning, so i'm just saying i got some creepy vibes that's all 'ω'

I guess people would be creeped out by that. But that was just a harmless kiss like how some aunts would kiss their nephews or nieces. Anyway, they don't have feelings for each other when Haru kissed Ren in the first episode, and you're right btw, you don't have to read the manga, but you'd understand the anime better if you did though. The way the kiss was portrayed in the anime was indeed a little creepy.

Apr 9, 2016 10:54 PM

Dec 2010
Helenus said:
Finally the comments in this thread are back on track.

Thanks @Fnights, @Black_Wind and @Ioryogi-kun!

For a second I thought I wasn't on mal but on tumblr...

You are welcome, defend our small anime hobby is our duty. :)
Apr 9, 2016 10:55 PM
Mar 2012
Watching everything i dl so...
Nice Canada backgrounds & river from Deen.
Nice food, want blueberry jam & pancake.
Multicultural/mixed characters nice. Maybe 30% comedy hit. OP pleasant.
Guy kinda creepy, not just eyes. Relationship with wolf child mostly cute, but development way too fast (whole summer break in ep1?).
I enjoyed Love Stage (except that one scene), but not sure I can watch pedo BL. Can they keep a big brother or fatherly relationship instead?

Animated cute wolves/dogs, drool food & multicultural part wants to keep me watching.
Apr 10, 2016 4:44 AM

Mar 2012
krazykillerkurt said:
_sakuJo_ said:

I guess people would be creeped out by that. But that was just a harmless kiss like how some aunts would kiss their nephews or nieces. Anyway, they don't have feelings for each other when Haru kissed Ren in the first episode, and you're right btw, you don't have to read the manga, but you'd understand the anime better if you did though. The way the kiss was portrayed in the anime was indeed a little creepy.

let's just say that if i was ren i'd stay the fuck away from haru, but i guess we'll have to see how it goes from there ^^
even though i'm not at all into haru x ren i'm staying for the twins 。ӧ◡ӧ。

Apr 10, 2016 9:50 AM

Feb 2016
_sakuJo_ said:
krazykillerkurt said:

let's just say that if i was ren i'd stay the fuck away from haru, but i guess we'll have to see how it goes from there ^^

If I we're Ren, I'd have the same reaction he had. I'd be mad at Haru and punch him in the face. Ren's reaction practically screamed "Dude, wtf are you trying to do?!" That doesn't mean anything though. For Haru, it was just a harmless prank, and for a child like Ren, it was one hell of an annoying prank.

Apr 10, 2016 11:02 AM

Mar 2015
krazykillerkurt said:
_sakuJo_ said:

If I we're Ren, I'd have the same reaction he had. I'd be mad at Haru and punch him in the face. Ren's reaction practically screamed "Dude, wtf are you trying to do?!" That doesn't mean anything though. For Haru, it was just a harmless prank, and for a child like Ren, it was one hell of an annoying prank.

Correct. That's why I like Ren's character so much. Although he is a kid, he can defend himself.

Please try to remember 99% of all shoujo romance anime MCs. They are way older than Ren but more defensless than a newborn puppy. When the boy forces himself onto them they can't even fight them. They just react with: 'He kissed me! I couldn't do anything! He forced me! Baka baka...'.

If you compare Ren to said shoujo protagonists you'll see he got more guts than most of them (and is cuter).
Apr 10, 2016 11:36 AM

Mar 2012
aisoka said:
Some ppl just like being a moral police here uh? well, there's always this rules of 'don't like, don't watch' eh...well, just saying...:3
Those people are also forgetting that age of consent in Japan is 13. If they really do have a problem with the age gap, maybe they should direct their ridicule towards the culture where that's OK. I feel like people just don't consider some of the cultural reasons (even though I found it kinda disturbing myself).

Amberleh said:

Well said.
MetaKiteApr 10, 2016 11:45 AM
Apr 10, 2016 12:33 PM

Apr 2015
Anyone else here have seen Loveless? God. The minute that kid talked I got shivers.
Apr 10, 2016 1:22 PM

Mar 2015
This anime is already causing an uproar. I'm really looking forward to the reactions to "Hatsukoi Monster" that gets an anime in July :D
Apr 10, 2016 2:39 PM

May 2015
Mayuka said:
badwolf45f said:
Im scared because I dont want Haru to do the do with Ren :/

Spoilers to the worst that happens

Apr 10, 2016 2:44 PM

Jul 2012
FlipHazard said:
Mayuka said:

Spoilers to the worst that happens

Apr 10, 2016 6:10 PM

Mar 2015
I know I will probably get hate for this again, but I think you could say it was the best for both main characters, Ren and Haru, to meet each other.

Without spoiling anything: both make a lot of progression troughout the series. Their first and second meeting will make them take another way in life - a better way.

The whole pedophilia thing shouldn't be a problem anymore starting from the next episode. And we will get a bunch of new great characters. I am sure everybody will find a character to love in this show.

So don't judge the anime by it's first episode. There will be so much more! Unfortunately with 10 episodes + 1 OVA a lot of things that happened in the manga won't make it on screen. I would encourage everyone to take a look at the manga.
Apr 10, 2016 8:40 PM

Mar 2008
MetaKite said:
Those people are also forgetting that age of consent in Japan is 13. If they really do have a problem with the age gap, maybe they should direct their ridicule towards the culture where that's OK. I feel like people just don't consider some of the cultural reasons (even though I found it kinda disturbing myself).

Well said. I hope they don't spoil others enjoyment with this anime...please just keep it to themselves. They should complain with the author. I can't believe anything with BL(most of the time) everyone going insane, which kinda funny sometimes. Somehow i can't wait the next episode.

Apr 10, 2016 9:28 PM
Sep 2015
JellyfishPrince said:
Finally my favourite BL manga is animated!! I waited for so long!
It's really great so far, but still just the beginning, so I don't know what to expect next of the studio adapting the manga.
I loved, that they included all what I wanted! The berries were there, the eyes and that Ren thinks of him as scary because of his kindness. Ah my those were some cute moments!! All those smooches.♡ I'm too excited to see my favourite scenes animated soon!! THEY'LL BE SO CUTE AHHH I'M DYING IN ANTICIPATION!!*-*
One of my favourite scenes actually might happen in episode 2 already and when it comes, oh boy, oooooh boy, you can't hold me back then.

Well, still gotta say it felt a little short to me. Definitely not rushed, but...ah whatever, we all know that the anime is always shorter, so don't mind that.
At first I also couldn't quite accept Tomoaki Maeno as Haru, because I always imagined Haru to have a higher and gentler voice, but damn, I'm so unbelieveably sorry for not believing enough in Maeno-san, I should have known better. He did a great job and it was really gentle, such a great seiyuu in this one!
Needless to say that Ren's voice sounded perfect for me. Gawd.
The animation was all right. What impressed me were the backgrounds and the angles they showed!! Also most of the budget seemed to have gone to the dogs, haha, they sure look good. (The pomeranian, arf!♡)

...the ending. I hate it. I hate it so much. How dare they?! I cried a little, it was even more heartbreaking in the anime as it already was in the manga...
All those anime studios feeling the need to end everything with a cliffhanger and tear our hearts apart, thanks for that tho...
I almost thought there nothing to come anymore and then they dropped this bombshell.
If I'd be working in an anime studio I wouldn't have done it different though, but anyways, how dare they do that to me?;A;

Ah, I also want to add to that whole shounen-ai thingy: I also hope they portray that complicated relationship properly later on, because the plot outside from the romance is also kinda heavy. (The plot outside from romances yet relates to the romance anyway as it tells how the characters became what they are now and why/how they relate to each other now)
Now I don't worry about that, but you never know, it's just the first episode.
Also...the only thing that is different in the anime so far is...I mean, did you see that huge cat-bear thingy with hat?? Wtf is this?? Surely wasn't in the manga, what do you want to do with that thing, the hell. x'D

Well, all in all I'm just happy to enjoy one of my favourite BL's all over again with music and voices and so on!! And I hope you'll enjoy, too!

^this
I agree coz I also looked forward for an anime adaptation last year
Apr 10, 2016 9:30 PM

Aug 2014
I enjoyed the episode a lot and I'm looking forward for more! Although, I was worried about that ending scene...
Apr 10, 2016 9:42 PM

Oct 2009
........I wonder why I never got into officially produced Yaoi anime but I ship non-yaoi-related characters and read yaoi djs...xD
Maybe I just like my yaoi subjects to be manlier I guess. :V

But... yeah.. urhh.. Shota boyasu is really a nah. The age gap is just...yeah I'm gonna shut up now.
2/5

and dropped deleted :/

Edit: A few days ago, just watching the PV already made me uncomfortable so watching the whole thing was *SCREAMS INTERNALLY* annd....
I just read this so I am definitely OUT O.o

Thug_GouApr 10, 2016 11:21 PM

Apr 11, 2016 12:38 AM

May 2015
Helbram said:
Is this going to be a shotacon? Please no...

I could live with shotacon, it's the fact that it's actually a kid and the age gap that bothers me

Card Album!
Apr 11, 2016 12:49 AM

May 2015
I wish this wasn't a bl... I actually like the story so far, but I am just overtaken by Boku no Pico vibes. If you ignore the fact that they're going to be in a romantic relationship, everything that's happened between them is just so adorable!

If you like age gap in BL, that's fine as long as it remains fiction. However, I'm extremely sensitive towards that kind of thing.

Speaking of which, DID ANYONE ELSE (WHO HASN'T READ THE MANGA OBVIOUSLY) GET THE VIBE THAT REN WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED? No? Okay.

Also can I punch the "mom"?
Rant:

Okay I'm done! XD

Card Album!
Apr 11, 2016 12:58 AM

Oct 2009
kurokitty-mimi said:
I wish this wasn't a bl... I actually like the story so far, but I am just overtaken by Boku no Pico vibes.

Same
:V
kurokitty-mimi said:

Speaking of which, DID ANYONE ELSE (WHO HASN'T READ THE MANGA OBVIOUSLY) GET THE VIBE THAT REN WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED? No? Okay.

Also can I punch the "mom"?
Rant:

Okay I'm done! XD

No, a lot some people do. They call it "child grooming" or so I read. But let's just keep it to our selves lest we want to be grilled by the fans. D:

and yes you can punch the mom. lol

Apr 11, 2016 1:22 AM

May 2015
@Thug_Gou Yes, that's a perfect term for it! Oh my god.

Haha yeah, I was prepared for it.

Card Album!
Apr 11, 2016 7:14 AM

Oct 2012
this wasnt as incest/pedo-y as expected (more like barely at all atm), but the kid does look like he faced some sort of abuse.

but damn people already ready to jump on brotherly love = sexual in this thread. not sure about later on in the series, but the moment itself has literally no sexual connotations and I kiss my brother a lot as well as a sign of affection and he is ren's age. pretty sure the mindset kissing = sexual is the problem.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Apr 11, 2016 7:58 AM

Apr 2016
So, I decide to watch it with all the fuss. Even though it's not my genre.

It was..... ok..? not that bad like I guess,
Well, it's kinda cute.........will see next episode.
Apr 11, 2016 11:19 AM

Mar 2008
secretbossfight said:
I'm a real gay person who has real gay sex, has a yaoi manga shelf, has attended YaoiCon three times, and I found this episode creepy.

People who have read the manga need to realize what people who have not read the manga see when they see this episode:

1. A uke who is not of legal age basically anywhere.
2. A kid with a troubled past that strongly implies (but does not directly state) sexual abuse, since he calls Haru a hentai and seems to relate his trauma with people being nice to him.
3. The visuals launching Haru into Super Bishounen Seme mode when proposing they sleep together.

It's creepy. It's creepy NOT because it's a same-sex relationship, but because it strongly implies a sort of predator image that gay people have faced injustices for more than half a century and in many places (i.e. Russia, which justifies it's anti-gay laws with "protecting children") they still do. And on top of that there are small pockets of such creepy people in the world, and when you blow off people's reactions with "don't you know age doesn't matter?" you're unintentionally enabling them. It's also kind of creepy because a number of shots of the pair together (in bed, even in the end credits) show the uke basically looking uncomfortable and awkward, which undermines any sense that it's an equal relationship.

I'm glad I came to this thread, heard of a time skip, etc. Because if this show continued along without one, I'd watch three episodes in increasing discomfort and drop.

Valid points. I love yaoi but I dislike a lot of yaoi series some of them are romanticising abusive behaviour & similar things you mentioned above.
Apr 11, 2016 11:24 AM

Mar 2008
Amberleh said:
ALRIGHT YA'LL LISTEN UP BECAUSE I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN SOME THINGS.

This is pedophilia, and after the timeskip it's still hebephilia. Him 'waiting for him to age'? That's not cute or noble or anything. Considering he is raising the kid, this is what we call 'grooming'. Here is a link describing the 5 stages of grooming. You will notice how it fits this show to a T. http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/704

I am 100% positive many of you fangirls will try to argue that "NOOO HE'S NOT LIKE THAT HE WASN'T TRYING TO PREY ON HIM HE FELL IN LOVE". Yeah no it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, you absolutely cannot, in your heart of hearts, deny that this is grooming. Especially considering Ren is already a traumatized and damaged child? Ren is the literal PERFECT victim for grooming.

Some of you will argue "OH BUT HE WAITED TILL HE WAS A LITTLE OLDER IT'S OKAY!" He kissed him on the lips when he was 8 and he knew DAMN WELL it wasn't a normal custom for a man to kiss a young boy. Also hello that isn't a North American or Canadian custom anyway.

I also want to point out that, no matter what may happen in THIS series, in real life, once Ren became an adult Haru would no longer have any sexual interest in him whatsoever. Pedophilia is, in laymen's terms, a sexual orientation. One cannot help the fact that they are sexually attracted to children/adolescents. The fact that, even as a teen, Ren still looks like a child (and likely has yet to hit puberty) adds to Haru's continued attraction to him.

I'd also like to note I skimmed some of the manga, and at the pace Haru eases Ren into sexual activity, starting with just sleeping in the same bed as him- it is not him being a romantic gentleman. It's him making a child feel comfortable with the sexual molestation, steps 4-5.

More information on child grooming:
http://www.naasca.org/2012-Articles/040512-GroomingWillingVictims.htm

Argue all you want, little yaoi fangirls. But this is a disgusting unhealthy relationship that fits the concept of grooming to a T and in your hearts of hearts I know I have struck a chord. Please stop supporting abusive relationships by supporting degrading and harmful garbage like this. They keep making this crap because you all keep consuming it. Find healthy yaoi series, I know they are out there. Popularize THOSE, get THOSE to have adaptations. Make those the norm. Not this.

Those of you who still think pedophilia is okay if it's two males, I encourage you to read up on NAMBLA. Perhaps you belong there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

Twilight had a similar thing, Jacob (werewolf guy, I think?) fell in love with Bella and Edward's daughter when she was just a child, he was "marked", they were "destined" to love each other, bla bla. There was another werewolf guy which was taking care of a baby because she was also his destined "love", and he was waiting for her to grow up etc. So creepy.
Apr 11, 2016 12:05 PM

Mar 2015
As if yaoi mangaka ever cared about real LGBT (I hope I wrote it right) issues...

And know what? They don't have to. I am sure everybody who watches yaoi or reads the mangas is aware these aren't depictions of real life situations. The homosexuality in yaoi works is a mere storytelling device.

I can only repeat myself: it's fiction. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And yaoi isn't even targeted at (male) gay people to beginn with.
Apr 11, 2016 2:52 PM

Sep 2015
Episode two is in less than two days~ Hope no one will complain about things that never happened in the actual aired episode like this one.

@Helenus well, I don't make it a habit to 'defend' anime I watch. Only because the accusation for this one is becoming more and more ridiculous every day. And it all began because this is labeled shounen ai. Usagi Drop has similar theme with this but because it's not shounen ai, everyone's happy XD
Ioryogi-kunApr 11, 2016 2:57 PM
Apr 11, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2015
Ioryogi-kun said:
Episode two is in less than two days~ Hope no one will complain about things that never happened in the actual aired episode like this one.

@Helenus well, I don't make it a habit to 'defend' anime I watch. Only because the accusations for this one is becoming more and more ridiculous every day. And it all begins because this is labeled shounen ai. Usagi Drop has similar theme with this but because it's not shounen ai, everyone's happy XD

The hipocrisy is strong in this thread. Thanks god episode will have the time skip. I wonder what kind of complaints they will have then. Maybe they won't like the dog? Tanuki :D Call PETA :'D
Apr 11, 2016 3:10 PM

Sep 2015
@Helenus Probably about
Besides, I don't think Tanuki will be in the very next episode.

I'm calling it now! Someone will say Haru 'infects' them with his creepy ways XD Or they 'imitates' him. Whichever sounds creepier and more imaginative. In fact, I think I'm gonna stay up to watch when it first airs so I can be the one who says it first~
Ioryogi-kunApr 11, 2016 3:26 PM
Apr 12, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2008
Helenus said:
As if yaoi mangaka ever cared about real LGBT (I hope I wrote it right) issues...

And know what? They don't have to. I am sure everybody who watches yaoi or reads the mangas is aware these aren't depictions of real life situations. The homosexuality in yaoi works is a mere storytelling device.

I can only repeat myself: it's fiction. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And yaoi isn't even targeted at (male) gay people to beginn with.

If someone finds this series creepy or uncomfortable, you certainly don't need to pull every cringe worthy defense or response out of your pocket to try and defend it or prove them wrong. You don't think it's weird/awful/creepy/etc like them, great. Fantastic. Whatever. Go enjoy the anime instead of acting like you'll explode into a million pieces if one more person goes "this is creepy" to you. Like you said: it's fiction.

You also said you didn't care about whether or not people agreed with you but here you are: ten million posts later, "not caring", trying to convince people they're wrong and stupid for thinking what they choose to think. Pretty sure that's hypocrisy too.

And did you just say nobody has to care about LGBT issues when it's fictional? Lol.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Apr 13, 2016

79 by renandharu_ »»
Sep 12, 2023 3:02 AM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 8, 2016

58 by Angesubaru »»
Jun 16, 2023 8:09 AM

» How explicit is this?

GreyStoneFlinger - Dec 12, 2022

7 by NekoKyan- »»
Dec 16, 2022 7:52 PM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 3 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 20, 2016

40 by Yuwka »»
Nov 6, 2022 2:50 AM

Poll: » Super Lovers Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 1, 2016

70 by Opor97 »»
Jul 18, 2021 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.