Forum Settings
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 4, 2016 1:12 AM

Sep 2011
Aakisame said:
KonoYume said:
I suspect the anime will cut the after coma arc to get to the ending with an original route.

I don't think so, maybe the anime will finish when Satoru wake up, and finish the history with ovas.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

The anime will end with the manga's original ending. And yes, they do mean the anime with only 12 episodes. No OVAs, etc.
Mar 4, 2016 1:19 AM

Jul 2014
It's so funny to see people on Reddit say that it's obvious the teacher is *not* the culprit, since that'd be too easy.

Oh, how disappointed they'll be.

Tyrel said:
Aakisame said:

I don't think so, maybe the anime will finish when Satoru wake up, and finish the history with ovas.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

The anime will end with the manga's original ending. And yes, they do mean the anime with only 12 episodes. No OVAs, etc.

If it's indeed 100% the case that the anime will take no alternate route to the ending, and that there won't be any additional episodes...

Then Erased may likely become the most backlash-inducing anime ever, given its extremely high average right now.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 4, 2016 1:37 AM
Feb 2016
Well, I think that I have two opinions about this chapter.

As a sole chapter it's a good epilogue that shows what happened to everyone at the end, the killer confessed to everyone and cooperated with the police. Satoru now it's a successful mangaka with a future anime adaptation and now he lives with his mom. Blah, blah, yadda, yadda.

But as an ending to the series, well, no one can deny that the story dropped at the last "act", after that wonderful climax.

The "waking up from the coma" could be better. It was too slow and most chapters were about Satoru remembering stuff we already knew.

Like Sanbe didn't know how to follow up the series and he came up with this. It feels a little like he had a different ending planned, but changed it after he felt it would be too cliché and perfect. Or that he felt pressured to finish the manga before the anime adaptation and rushed the last third of the manga while doing negotiations.

I didn't really care about him not ending up with Kayo, the hints were there, but it was mostly a little comedy, we knew that it would be too awkward for him because he had the mind of a 29 year old.

I wonder how anime viewers would react to that. I think that there would probably be so much salt. Probably a lot of rants and people re-scoring it to 1/10. The bitter people who mocked the people who scored high after three chapters would say "I told you so, I know about quality anime, I only watch Jojo's and some obscure OVA's"

But I still have faith that it would look better in the anime. Wouldn't change a lot since it would have the same ending (I prefer it that way, I don't like when adaptation have fanservice in the form of fix endings), but I think it would change the pace and also have more cool shots in action scenes. And the epilogue would feel more "alive" when they show them moving and maybe talking instead of some images.

PD:

Also, while I didn't expect he would explicitly end up falling in love with Airi, I think that their last scene was too bland, I agree with people here who said that if he didn't end with anybody it would have been better if his last scene was celebrating with his family and friends, specially with his mom.

But instead we got this cliché scene. I think that Satoru and Kenya had more chemistry in the scene when they talked about heroes (I don't mean that I ship them, just that their friedship seemed more natural and less forced at the end).

PD2: I'm really tired of people calling everything NTR.

Netorare is a kink genre of hentai that makes a fetish of cheating, sometimes even making a kink of a person being cheaten on, so it's more about the sadness of being cheaten rather than the sense of danger of keeping a second life, or the voyeurism of seeing your partner having sex with someone else.

So they are basically animated versiins of The Room.

When a token couple breaks up, is not NTR. A person marrying someone else is not NTR. Even sometimes a story could depict cheating and not be NTR.
Mar 4, 2016 12:34 PM

Mar 2014
satoru's character changed a lot comparing to the old him who had been an otaku mangaka
Mar 4, 2016 12:36 PM

Jun 2015
lolalanda said:

Netorare is a kink genre of hentai that makes a fetish of cheating, sometimes even making a kink of a person being cheaten on, so it's more about the sadness of being cheaten rather than the sense of danger of keeping a second life, or the voyeurism of seeing your partner having sex with someone else.

When a token couple breaks up, is not NTR. A person marrying someone else is not NTR. Even sometimes a story could depict cheating and not be NTR.

It's the readers that got NTR-ed and feel cheated by the author, not the MC.
Mar 4, 2016 4:58 PM

Jan 2016
Tyrel said:
Aakisame said:

Really?! Left 16 manga chapters and 3 for anime. How they will do it? 1 for the attack, 2nd the wake up and recovery and the last for the camping arc?

By the way anyone knows where can i read the 42 & 43 ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2016 8:49 PM

Oct 2015
Aakisame said:
Tyrel said:

Really?! Left 16 manga chapters and 3 for anime. How they will do it? 1 for the attack, 2nd the wake up and recovery and the last for the camping arc?

Ep 10: Ends at Yashiro-sensei's revelation.
Ep 11: Ends with Kayo showing her baby.
Ep 12: Finishes everything.

The chapters #41, #42 and #43 haven't been translated yet, only raws are available.
lipionMar 4, 2016 8:52 PM
Mar 4, 2016 11:29 PM

Jan 2016
lipe_senpai said:
Aakisame said:

Ep 10: Ends at Yashiro-sensei's revelation.
Ep 11: Ends with Kayo showing her baby.
Ep 12: Finishes everything.

The chapters #41, #42 and #43 haven't been translated yet, only raws are available.

I agree, but the 11 sounds to fast and compact.
TyrelMar 6, 2016 2:35 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2016 12:52 AM
Jul 2015
Aakisame said:
Tyrel said:

what anine is your sig from>
Mar 5, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
I don't know why I thought "The world we live is really an amazing place for beautiful things to happen, even though it does not happen quite often." as soon as I saw the snowy town and the reunion of MC and Airi, but that scene is just beautiful.

It is soooo beautiful that I think the reality isn't as harsh as people make it out to be.
Mar 5, 2016 8:27 PM

Jan 2016
nogitsunechaos said:
Aakisame said:

what anine is your sig from>

Beyond the boundry: http://myanimelist.net/anime/18153/Kyoukai_no_Kanata
Mar 6, 2016 9:03 PM

Mar 2012
Wasn't the greatest ending.
Mar 7, 2016 3:31 AM
Jul 2009
Smooched said:
Wasn't the greatest ending.

Not the greatest, but still pretty great.
Mar 7, 2016 3:59 AM

May 2012
How do you screw up a story so badly? Is this the kind of ending that appeals to Japanese people? I'm honestly disgusted to the point where I'm going to become that guy.
Mar 9, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2011
I liked the ending, but I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't disappointed.

For one, Airi was never really "explained". She just shows up randomly all the time in places where it is just way too convenient and more than coincidence.

Two, there was no closure with Kayo after she came in with a baby. Like WTF, the whole first half is building up the relationship with the two, and then it just gets thrown away.

Three, the fact that he regains all of his memories in five seconds is just absurd. Personally, I think it would have been better off if he had slowly regained pieces, and by the time the manga ended he wouldn't have had all the memories remembered but most of the important ones. It's such a cop out to just slap it all in one go.

However, I still think this was a great manga. A bit disappointing, but still a great story on its own and better than a lot of other manga/anime. I'd give it a 8.5-9 / 10.
El. Psy. Congroo.
Mar 9, 2016 10:05 PM

Dec 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed the manga. I do have to say that what I enjoyed the most was the very real struggle Satoru showed. Going up against a sly and clever murder who can frame others for his crime,direct the investigation away from himself and is right under your nose the whole time sounds very scary.

I don't really care about the romance with Airi, although love is the motive. To me she is a radical variable who can spur our mc to change his mode of thinking, or his pattern of behaviours. So Satoru can begin to believe in himself, he can find hope he has lost, he can regain his memories. She's a vital part of the story, and I like how she was written, but I feel sort of sad she didn't play a bigger role in the long run.

GinnTokki said:
there was no closure with Kayo after she came in with a baby. Like WTF, the whole first half is building up the relationship with the two, and then it just gets thrown away.

I don't think there needs to be closure with Kayo. After 15 years in a coma with many memories missing, I'd think Satoru wouldn't be that disappointed. It's expected that Kayo would move on (and not cling onto the regrets of the past). She only became a love interest in the first place because Satoru wanted to "save" her. The relationship was built up well and made the things Satoru were doing actually meaningful, but it didn't need to extend past their childhood.

I'm a little disappointed that the ending wasn't a more intense face-off between Yoshino and Satoru, but I liked it nonetheless. 10/10.
Mar 10, 2016 2:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I didn't check to see if there was a discussion already, but I had written down my thoughts when I finished the chapter a few days ago:

That was a pretty amazing read, it became really uplifting in a way after Satoru woke up, and I really like the theme of the manga, which is not really about saving people or the mystery, but about moving forward and becoming who you want to be. It's weird, but the last chapter is still making me cry, and it's one of those moments where tears come out of your eyes before you know the reason for why you're feeling emotional. I guess it's because the second time around, despite Satoru actually spending less time living (being conscious), this second time has been all the better, as he realized how many people were by his side. Before, he was sort of jaded, but he isn't any longer. And I think it's beautiful that he would think that "the town where only I am missing. The time engraved in that place is my treasure." Now we know the true meaning of the title. I'm really happy that Satoru ended up in a happy place, and part of my tears is probably me hoping that I can get there too.

I'm glad I picked it up when I saw that it got ranked in an award almost three years ago.
-------------------------------

So it seems like there isn't a similar interpretation to the manga here like mine, makes me feel as if I was reading a completely different manga than everyone else. I'm going to stand by my interpretation that this is a manga for people who are lost, and people who feel like they need to do something. Of course the manga incorporated mystery almost all the way through, so the mystery should be done well. While the mystery wasn't exceptional, it also wasn't terrible, it did what it was supposed to do, which was build tension and make it seem that what Satoru was doing was important. It was also what allowed Satoru to make a good connection with all of the people this time around. People like others who work hard at something they believe in, even if it's silly. Just throwing it out there again why mystery was used and why it shouldn't be the main focus when thinking about the manga as a whole. Well, in my opinion of course. The theme really resonated with me because Satoru's attitude in the beginning of the manga relates to my current attitude about life, but through all the struggles, he was able to change.
tingyMar 10, 2016 2:13 PM
Mar 11, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2013
Mediocre manga, sad to see it get so much praise.
Mar 11, 2016 4:02 PM

Apr 2011
happy epilogue ending achieved, a great rollercoaster ride with the writing dropping a bit in the last third, but Kei Sanbe has been like this for his previous works. A very definitive improvement has been shown considering he managed to earn an anime adaptation off BokuDake.
KomomoMar 11, 2016 4:06 PM
Mar 12, 2016 2:36 AM

Nov 2011
I have mixed feelings about the ending. Honestly, it was rather predictable and felt a bit anti climatic. Plus, I didn't find Airi's appearance in the finale to be anything special.

However I have to say the journey that Satoru took was like no other and that's quite an experience. I also thought his relationship with Kayo is the most prominent especially in the first half of the series. The revelation of the culprit was pretty easy to figure out tbh considering that there wasn't really much suspects to narrow it down from the character cast. Yes, I expect the anime will actually end like this but with a lot of cuts in between. But all in all, good series. Good but not great in my book.
Mar 12, 2016 4:34 AM

Oct 2014
While i quite liked and enjoyed it, I somehow didn't feel engaged in it...? (maybe because i was to wary of spoilers xD)
Still, quite a satisyfying ending, and a 8.5/10 from me.
ShrimperorMar 12, 2016 5:00 AM
Mar 12, 2016 11:48 AM

Nov 2010
I knew nothing about this story until I picked up the anime a couple of weeks ago. After the whole situation with Kayo was solved in the last episode I knew that had been the climax and the series would only go downhill from there.

The story is simply horribly structured. It's a mystery that isn't really a mystery, a romance that isn't really a romance, a time travel fantasy that glosses over the fantasy elements, a story about heroism where the serial killer racks up a huge bodycount which gets unsatisfyingly swept under the rug and, worst of all, a series where one of its arcs (getting to know and saving Kayo) completely eclipses everything else to the detriment of the story as a whole. It's telling that A-1 decided to spend all the time necessary on that even if they now have to rush the remaining volumes.
Mar 12, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 2009
For this story to work perfectly, Kayo shouldn't exist. Satoru should spend his time in the past trying to save Hiromi and Aya, without getting overly close to them. The tone should be more mystery and thriller and less character drama. Without Kayo, all the character development would be focused solely in Satoru, and the romance would be limited to the moments Satoru and Airi get in the present time.

With that kind of setup the story could easily move from the past to the present (after the coma) without any major whiplash.

On the flip side, without a suffering loli to sell the story, it wouldn't have become as successful. Note this manga is selling 300k per volume. That's a huge success, and it's mostly thanks to Kayo being so cute.
Mar 12, 2016 2:17 PM
Nov 2015
I like the journey. The first phase was when Satoru hated his life and took everything for granted. The second phase was when Satoru on a dire situation. The third phase was when Satoru realized that he took everything for granted and determined to change his life. The fourth phase was the happy part, when he finally realized how blessed he was and finally enjoyed happiness, friendship and how important human relations are. The fifth phase was the final part, the epilogue.

It could've been better with the explanation about why Satoru's so very in love with Airi. But, I still like this. It's a bit above good for me, so I'll give it (8/10)
Mar 12, 2016 4:33 PM
Apr 2014
My god such a mediocre ending, I didn't get the feeling of satisfying conclusion nor will I look back or miss the series.
The story started out very promising but slowly turned out meh, 5.5/10.
Mar 12, 2016 7:45 PM
Nov 2015
Haha! I bet you the rating is going down to a 7 because of the mediocre ending.
... and definitely because of Airi Ending.
I know that cause I'm salty as fuck! xD
#KayoEndingTillIDie
#ThenSatoruWillThenHaveToSaveMe
#ButHeCantGoBackAnymore
#IWillDieAlone
Mar 12, 2016 8:42 PM

Oct 2012
Beautiful ending.... It's been a while since i read manga with satisfying ending. Nice conclusion, for the culprit and for satoru himself.
One of my favorites mystery manga 10/10

Mar 12, 2016 11:32 PM

Feb 2013
it was alright. Probably should have just stuck to anime version.
Mar 12, 2016 11:51 PM
Jul 2015
This is was a good read. Too bad that the second half of the story couldn't keep up the thrill and suspence there were in the first. Predictable, average but an okay ending. Not a solid 8/10, maybe 7.5-7.8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 13, 2016 3:30 AM
Nov 2014
The segment of the story involving Satoru's return to the past and his attempts at thwarting Yashiro's machinations was fairly entertaining, but nothing exceptional. As others have pointed out, the manga loses steam after Saturo's "revival". I was expecting a far greater battle of wits to ensue, but the final confrontation was pretty anticlimactic. Also, no attempt was made to explain Satoru's time-traveling ability, which pretty much serves as a deus ex machina.

Overall, a fairly typical tale. I'd give it a "fine" assessment; which in MAL ratings translates to a 6/10.
Mar 13, 2016 5:54 AM

Jan 2014
This manga is only good at the beginning, I agree with most people before. A moment after satoru wake up from coma is meh, 7/10 overall. I think the anime have good choice to skip many scene because most of them are uninteresting. And is everyone notice that the time travel itself is a deep plot hole?
Mar 13, 2016 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
HiatusXHiatus said:
This manga is only good at the beginning, I agree with most people before. A moment after satoru wake up from coma is meh, 7/10 overall. I think the anime have good choice to skip many scene because most of them are uninteresting. And is everyone notice that the time travel itself is a deep plot hole?

Ofc it is. I said that many times here and in anime discussion forums and they said "supernatural".
Mar 13, 2016 8:05 AM

Jan 2014
guess it's safe to say mc guy ended up with airi.. fuck that kayo x mc guy ship.. it sunk at chapter 35...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Mar 13, 2016 11:26 AM
Dec 2015
People alway whine that the ending was too happy like in the Abenonashi Shopping arcade.
I rather have a happy ending then a sad one.
Mar 13, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2013
I had just recently picked up and binged watched the anime until its latest episode (10). I couldn't handle the wait, so I picked up the manga and read through the entire thing, beginning to end, in a single sitting. And I have to say, sitting here after experiencing all the story has to offer, I'm left disappointed and unfulfilled.

I have 2 main problems with the story:

1. How Kayo was treated as a character after the MC woke up.
  2. How Reruns/Revivals were never explained, or even attempted to be explained, at any point during the story.

For Kayo, while it's somewhat upsetting that the MC got NTR (?) in a way, it's also somewhat cute that 2 of the people that were supposed to be dead at this point in time (and were consequently saved by the MC) ended up happily together. It is, it's cute. And it also makes sense. I'm not upset about that.

Arguably, it can be said half of the entire series takes place during the "childhood scenario", and the focal point of this scenario is the relationship between the MC and Kayo. It was all about our MC desperately trying to find a way to get Kayo to open up and talk to him so he could find out the information necessary to save her. Thus, she is a HUGE character, or rather should be, to the story.

After our MC wakes up, the very next scene we see of her is: She's happily married, just had a child, and has no reason to ever interact with the MC ever again. WHAT!? I'm sorry, that is just not how you treat a character who has had so much time focused on them.

It's fine that she's with Generic Supporting friend # 4 (as I said, it's cute in it's own way). But it's not fine that she is solely treated as a Damsel for our MC to save, and is then saved and cast out of the story.

The whole ending ship with Airi is okay I guess, but it makes me feel weird. They are what, 10-11 years apart in age? Doesn't sit well with me, but it isn't totally unacceptable either. At this point, though, I'd prefer the MC ended up alone or died or something instead of this. It's just so generic and mediocre. Airi's character is also a bit of a disappointment too, now that I think about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My second issue pisses me off much more. What are reruns? Why do they happen to the MC, and why is he seemingly the only person who is effected by them, or has any knowledge of them? Why do they follow inconsistent rules? Why are they never explained EVER? The entire concept of reruns is the whole premise of the story, YOU CAN'T JUST NOT EXPLAIN THEM! At this point, it's basically "magic". Not the good kind either.

At first, we are given a few specific rules/patterns that reruns follow:

1. Reruns happen regardless of the MC's intentions; they are out of his control.
  2. Reruns only seem to happen when a tragedy is about to happen around our MC: all of the tragedies that we are shown involve the death or eventual death of someone.
  3. Our MC will be repeatedly looped through the rerun until an action is taken to prevent the death of that individual.

This is what we are introduced to. However, right after Best Mom dies, the rules completely change. Suddenly, our MC reruns after a death, not before. He also reruns out of emotion/determination; suddenly he IS in control. Why were the rules changed? This was one of the mysteries that kept me hooked on the series and made me want to know more.

At one point, right after the failure of saving Kayo and after the motif of "saying something over and over can make it happen" had been thrown around a few times, I thought our MC was in someway actually related to Death Reapers. Why else were his reruns only triggered when someone is about to die or has died? Why else could he suddenly have control over time? I figured other characters probably had this ability too.

Boy I got that one wrong.

Nothing was explained. It was all just convenience because "the author said so".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the end, the Manga was enjoyable. Decent and compelling premise, but it dropped the ball on so many occasions. And looking back in hindsight, I realize all the potential mysteries that drove me to binge watch/read the series were either never addressed or were actually mediocre and not well thought out all along. It's depressing.

Giving this series a 7/10. It's above average because of the first half, but overall the story and presentation was just lazy and uninspiring: it just takes you a while to realize that.
Loki0830Mar 13, 2016 7:04 PM
Mar 13, 2016 5:26 PM

Jan 2016
I´m just giving a 10 to this. Though the ending was nothing like surprising or impressive, the story is too good and I´ve come to like all the characters. Also I started reading the manga a couple months ago so my point of view surely difers from those who´ve been following it for so long. I will definitely recommend it to everyone ^^
Mar 13, 2016 6:19 PM

Jun 2013
So much salt... and there's gonna be even more when the anime ends. Can't wait.

I personally liked the ending. It made me feel good seeing everyone alive and happy. Especially Satoru. The ending scene with Airi just made everything even better.
Mar 14, 2016 12:39 PM
Mar 2013
The 15 year time leap was IMO the worst part of the story(along with Airi). Fantastic beginning and a mediocre finish. 6.8/10
Mar 15, 2016 6:11 PM

Dec 2013
CupOfRumAndGo said:
ahuman said:
The teacher still gets the extra 15 years of killing.

That's the point. How many victims were there during that 15 years? If he kills 3/year, it's 40-50. If more, up to a hundred.

Nice job Satoru. You've saved 3 kids and 1 Yuuki outta overall ~50 kids and 10+ Yuukis you could've save. But Satoru doesn't even think of it. We'll he is a dumb, so it's probably okay?

Nice job author. I still don't understand why do you hate your own MC that much.

You're forgetting that he was on the loose even in the "original" timeline for 18 years before Satoru came back in time. Including his mother's death... and he probably wouldn't been catched even "now". So maybe he didn't save everyone while he was asleep, but he saved at least the people from his past and the possible future victims...

And now I'm going to say my opinion of the ending... or rather at the ending scene which I love! XD Just can say that I was rooting for him and Airi from the beginning and I'm kinda satisfied with the ending... sure, it could have been more specific but this way, with the open ending for them, I can imagine what ever I want and no one can ruin it XD but his tears of happiness, when he saw her, were more than enough for me. As for the rest, as in any other manga, there were plenty situations that could be done better and such, but I loved the story from the beginning and can't wait to watch the last two upcoming anime-episodes (and see the situations in moving with voices and such... ach, just fangirling over Satoru in-anime way too more) XD :)
❑ Single (¬‿¬)
❑ Taken (¬‿¬)

✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist φ(°ρ°*)
Mar 15, 2016 6:42 PM
Mar 2011
I agree that the ending was lackluster in certain ways, but I think a lot of things are explained in the fact that Satoru moved forward with his life. It explains a bunch of things.

1) Time Travel- I think the message was "Your life will continue in an endless cycle until you decide to really stand for something, to move forward with your passion, your reason for being here." I don't think it was really about stopping the killer or saving his mom, Kayo, or the other victims. It was about Satoru having a driving purpose to live, about him really being alive. Once "Fate" saw that he was truly determined to stand for something, the power of time travel was no longer necessary.

2) The Title: "The Town Where Only I Am Missing." In other words, this town/world needs you, more than you know. You're here but you're just drifting, you aren't fulfilling the fullness of your destiny.

That's what I got from it.
Mar 16, 2016 10:06 AM
Jun 2014
My OTP became canon *cries a river*
Mar 17, 2016 8:15 PM
Jul 2015
PowerTearer said:
lolalanda said:

It's the readers that got NTR-ed and feel cheated by the author, not the MC.

^Pretty much this. The way the story was unfolding, it seemed it was heading 95% into the Satoru/Hindazuki ending but it completely 180 at the very end. Of course the readers are going to feel a whiplash. Heck, I wouldn't be as mad if she ended with Kenya or some random joe outside of the cast.

All I can say is, wow. What a series. Started as one of the strongest and interesting plot I have ever read and slowly started to slope down into mediocrity in the later half/quarter. Ending was anticlimatic and plot holes were left here and there. Ultimately, it was a fun ride that had me on the edge of my seat. Originally a 10 but I'll give it a 7 in the end.
Mar 18, 2016 12:28 AM

Nov 2012
The twist I was expecting

Ok seriously though, i can't really comment on this chapter without commenting on the previous one. The climax really, really lacked punch. There are authors who are good at anticlimactic resolutions (Togashi comes to mind) and this guy. Yashiro just gave up, he didn't have any other backup plan, he lost to a semi-crippled person, I mean, come on, he changed from a strong-willed person to "yay Satoru, you're stopping my plans again, let's die together because I conveniently saw a spider thread on my head some chapters ago." It really feels like the author ran out of ideas or maybe had something different in mind. I was expecting some mindfuckery twist... I'm not a fan of Shyamalan at all but there was a lot of build up and details so naturally you would expect some kind of twist, even Death Note did it better. Now about this chapter... as an epilogue it was pretty okay, but I was still expecting something else, some surprise. Nope, Yashiro gave up and conveniently confessed everything (well, it's not like Satoru had a lot of evidence), and still a lot of kids died either way, just in other towns. I was expecting the pizza boss or Jun's dad to be involved in some way. The only thing that comes remotely close to a surprise was the fact that Satoru does become a successful mangaka in the end, I really thought the author had forgotten about this point long ago.
As many have pointed out, the revival power is not explained. Now I won't complain about the rules (they were explained in general at the beginning) or why sometimes it works different than it should, I'm just a bit annoyed that the very reason for him having this power is never explained. Why did he lose his power anyway? Someone wrote that it was because he had changed enough to take a stand (and also because he finally saved the kids of course), I'm gonna go with that as well.
I don't mind that Satoru didn't end up with Kayo, actually, none of the two girls felt right to me: Satoru was much older than Kayo (mentally) when he saved her, and he was already much older than Airi in the first place. That is precisely why I understand that the 15 year coma was "necessary" from a writing POV, otherwise Satoru's mind would be even older in the new future. Just "sending" him to the future like the first time wouldn't have had the same impact. The execution of the rest of the arc is another matter of course.
About the ending scene

I'm sensing the author changed his mind halfway and thus the series suffered a lot. Maybe he was planning to send Satoru to the past once more to catch Yashiro but couldn't find how to do it logically due to all the potential issues of going through adolescence again and having the mind of a 29 year old.

I think this could have been easily a 9/10 or better but with the final arc I'd give it an 8/10. Can't punish the series that much just because of the ending, the starting set up is pretty solid.
kchorrex2012Mar 18, 2016 12:33 AM
Mar 18, 2016 7:58 AM

May 2013
I liked the ending and I'm so glad he got to see Airi again. Hopefully they'll become friends and have a future together. I really enjoyed reading this manga :)
KagomeiMar 28, 2016 6:29 AM
Mar 18, 2016 9:13 AM
Dec 2012
Was really happy that Airi and Satoru got to meet, loved the series and also had a very good ending which didn't leave any loose strings.
Mar 18, 2016 1:39 PM

Feb 2015
kchorrex2012 said:
Airi's dream is not revealed.

I thought her dream was to travel the world? Did I remember that correctly? Yet she's still in Japan in 2012. Maybe she's going to college and saving money for her travels... LOL.
Mar 18, 2016 3:42 PM

May 2010
Heck yeah, Satoru x Airi is on its way to canon! I don't care even if it got a bit meh (HiromiKayo... seriously? Where's the backstory? All I know is Hiromi applied vaselline over Kenya's wounds once and suddenly, Kayo feelings for Hiromi toppled over Satoru... Also, the whole 'outwitting' in the previous chapter made me laugh during Kenya and Satoru's discussion session) Anyways, the best pair happened and that's enough for me (even though the whole reunion scene was a little eh and melodramatic) Characters were the strongest point of this series, and most of them got good development. Liked the message, too. The way Kayo got treated in the last arc was meh, but sigh. Anyways, its a good manga which had some very interesting plot twists. Gonna applaud the author for being gutsy enough to make the MC end up with the fandom's secondary choice for him while providing solid hints and reasons on why it should be the canon pairing. I like the way it was buildup a lot.
TragicRomanceMar 18, 2016 3:45 PM
Mar 19, 2016 12:34 AM

Jul 2009
I need to spend some time thinking about this series before I talk about it.

That's a good sign.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 19, 2016 10:41 PM
Mar 2016
I feel like people who just got into the series enjoyed the ending more, just because they experienced the entire story in a short period of time (btw I am one of these people). For people who have been dedicated to the series since 2012, I can imagine the slowdown of the second half to be taken the wrong way. It's interesting, if any of you have read Vinland Saga, the second half was done a similar way in regards to the protagonist. Personally, I was very satisfied with the ending because it was both meaningful and safe. Sure, Kayo's development was thrown out the window, but a friendship would likely be changed by a 15-year coma. The author still managed to give a happy and peaceful ending without having some enormous climactic event. I believe this series deserves a 9/10.
Mar 20, 2016 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
Well, that was an okay ending. Satoru should just marry Kenya.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Kayo and Satoru ever had romantic feelings for each other? ( 1 2 )

Ghoultulhu - Feb 3, 2016

66 by useerrriksujn »»
Jan 19, 6:26 AM

» Does this have any differences from the anime?

S4dnu - Aug 11, 2023

4 by Orbakun »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 10 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Jun 27, 2013

7 by CosmicGirl08 »»
Jun 11, 2023 11:20 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

20 by MaxiHut »»
Dec 21, 2022 1:49 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Chapter 6 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Jun 27, 2013

11 by Ioannabo »»
Aug 9, 2022 5:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.