Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 31, 2015 10:32 PM
Jun 2015
I am a Christian, and I am interested in watching FMA. I am wondering if it is anti-christian. Also, are the magic themes pervasive?
Dec 31, 2015 10:33 PM

Oct 2011
Human transmutation is one of its themes so it might come as morally shocking to sensitive people.
Dec 31, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2015
If you are worried about bullshit like this, you should stick to christian broadcasts for entertainment.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Dec 31, 2015 10:36 PM

Nov 2008
I am a Christian and I love FMA. Watch it. It's only fiction.

Dec 31, 2015 10:37 PM

Jul 2014
If small things like that bother you, this is a pretty bad medium for you too be watching.
Dec 31, 2015 10:38 PM

Sep 2015
It's a work of fiction. Don't get offended by it.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Dec 31, 2015 10:41 PM
Jul 2015
I certainly didn't think so, not any more than say Harry Potter or anything.
Dec 31, 2015 10:46 PM

Oct 2013

Thread Moved from Anime Discussion to Fullmetal Alchemist Series Board
Dec 31, 2015 10:49 PM

Oct 2014
It's about magic and science, but there are also things about souls and going to heaven. I think Yuru Yuri is much more anti-Christian.
Dec 31, 2015 10:51 PM

Oct 2015
No, it's not any worst than Harry Potter or anything like that (I never got why Christians were so against Harry Potter anyway, it's not like most people who watch/read it are going to go out and start trying to do witch craft and stuff like that.)

My parents are Christian and they love the Harry Potter movies.

My Sister is also Christian and she loves shows with magic and stuff.

If you start watching FMA and don't like it you can always drop it anyway.

Edward basically says that he's Atheist in a few parts but never offensively.
Jan 2, 2016 7:20 AM

Apr 2015
Looks more "Anti-religion" to me.
Jan 2, 2016 7:28 AM

Feb 2015
There's nothing to fear on knowing something out of the zone. FMA is just simply not inside the theistic zone. Don't be an ignorant and know the other side of the world. I'm a christian but I always search different views of life not just the simple dogma of Christianity. It widens your mind, and you become more aware of what you really are.

I advise you to stay away from that censorship things. If its anti-Christianity then why don't you try to know it and quarrel against it? There's no need to blur yourself away from your enemies. "We don't know our enemies, and we don't want to know them." Shit man you are blind.

Well back to the context. Magic is fine because it is fiction, imagination indeed. Even miracles look like fiction aren't they? The burning bush? It's just a figment of our imagination. Its all up to us if we opt to believe it.
JomsJan 2, 2016 7:30 AM
Jan 2, 2016 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
You've already seen Pokémon, which is established to be satanic by professional christian priests.
So you've already been subconsciously been seduced by demonic powers, there's hardly any going back now. FMA will not make the situation any worse.
Jan 2, 2016 8:42 AM

Sep 2013
It's hypocritical too.

They look down on god and all that stuff, but then treat alchemy like their religion XD
Jan 2, 2016 6:13 PM

Oct 2011
ichii_1 said:
It's hypocritical too.

They look down on god and all that stuff, but then treat alchemy like their religion XD
Really? I don't seem to recall that. Alchemy is more of a science approach than religion though since it involves research and utilization.
Jan 9, 2016 11:04 PM
Jul 2010
ichii_1 said:
It's hypocritical too.

it's irony that shows the specious ways of human nature
Jan 9, 2016 11:16 PM

Jun 2014
It's one of the most anti-religious shows out there, which is why so many neckbeards eat that shit up

The magic isn't what makes it this way, the series is really cynical especially the church episode at the start, it enforces that you shouldn't hope that things will change by relying on higher forces and that actions should be taken
Jan 9, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2015
The mc is an athiest, but it's nothing I would consider "anti-christian".

Tylaen said:
Looks more "Anti-religion" to me.

Agree, but they don't put down a specific religion or anything.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 10, 2016 12:46 AM
Jan 10, 2016 12:48 AM

Aug 2015
It is not sin to take an interest in things that are not so Christian so just enjoy the show.
Jan 10, 2016 2:31 AM

Aug 2015
Stick to whatever your local channels broadcast. If different viewpoints are enough to offend you and magic scenes seem pervasive, anime is definitely not for you.

P.S. There are quite a few times that the show talks about the hazards of blind faith, such as the belief that praying makes things better and Edward does say something about miracles not existing early on in the show.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Jan 10, 2016 3:44 AM

Mar 2015
Well I'm a christian and FMA is great. The main character is an atheist and this trait of his makes him do things on his own instead of always relying on a higher power which is an important reminder that we shouldn't sit back and leave things to the guy above.

There's also a lot of morality towards the magic used because of the established principle of equivalent exchange, and it's called alchemy and explained as a science rather than magic. The first episode features a church but the message seen isn't anti religious in that episode although it does portray a message about evaluating that what we believe in is true so we don't fool ourselves, but I don't think this message necessarily applies to religion despite the episode being set in a church.

All in all, FMA is still a fun show regarding the cost of our actions in relation to the end, or if the end justifies the means in other words.
GaryMuffuginOakJan 10, 2016 3:48 AM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jun 1, 2016 6:44 PM
Jun 2016
I thought Ed was agnostic? Though, I could be remembering it wrong.

And I don't think it was really anti-religion, they just didn't really talk about it much since the main theme is alchemy which is science. It would be weird for a SCIENCE manga to be about religion, to be honest.
Jun 1, 2016 8:33 PM

Jan 2014
Not really. It doesn't really take much of a stance on anything, and the god of their universe who is termed "The Truth" resides beyond a door on which is written "Adonai" and Latin names for God.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 3, 2016 2:43 AM

Apr 2015
RedRoseFring said:
Not really. It doesn't really take much of a stance on anything, and the god of their universe who is termed "The Truth" resides beyond a door on which is written "Adonai" and Latin names for God.
Wrong series. This Is the 2003 version, not Brotherhood.
Jun 3, 2016 8:23 AM

Jan 2014
Tylaen said:
RedRoseFring said:
Wrong series. This Is the 2003 version, not Brotherhood.

Whoops! You're right, this one only had an eye on the door, and no Truth.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 3, 2016 8:43 AM

Apr 2011
no because soul/spirit exist in FMA
Aug 22, 2016 5:23 PM
Aug 2016
It is. I know many of you may disagree with me at this moment, but I ask you all to analyze my explanation.

Regarding FMAB, a pantheistic ideology is brought up when Edward gets to know "The Truth", that claims to be "the world, the universe, god, truth, all, one and Edward himself". As far as I know, Pantheism is an ideology that preaches that "everything is God" as if you all, the mankind and the universe itself were a composition of "God". It's an ideology that isn't compatible with Christianity. Also, there's Kabbalah. The gate of alchemy shown in the anime is the "tree of life" according to Kabbalah, which is an esoteric and occult subject. I guess there are other topics in the anime that I don't remember right now, but those I've commented about are possibly the most relevant ones.

It's not hard for us to be influenced by ideas that exist around us - even more if we're not defensive about them. Exposing ourselves to certain things means we are prone not to see them as bad things or even get to accept them in our lives. Occultism, for example, has become widespread in many ways. Currently, magic is no longer seen as a real problem, but where does magic come from? Christians recognize it comes from the evil one, so why don't we bother with it? When we reject things that offend God, we get closer to Him. In fact, that's an act of love.

Neopaganism is growing quickly and I guess this has a lot to do with the content that has been spread through movies, books and other means. In fact, occultism is going to grow more and more as time goes by. Our generation is sleeping and it's time for us to do something. As Ephesians 5:14 says: "Wake up, you who are sleeping. Rise from the dead and Christ will give you light."
Aug 22, 2016 11:26 PM

Apr 2015
dovyjo said:
It is. I know many of you may disagree with me at this moment, but I ask you all to analyze my explanation.

Regarding FMAB, a pantheistic ideology is brought up when Edward gets to know "The Truth", that claims to be "the world, the universe, god, truth, all, one and Edward himself". As far as I know, Pantheism is an ideology that preaches that "everything is God" as if you all, the mankind and the universe itself were a composition of "God". It's an ideology that isn't compatible with Christianity. Also, there's Kabbalah. The gate of alchemy shown in the anime is the "tree of life" according to Kabbalah, which is an esoteric and occult subject. I guess there are other topics in the anime that I don't remember right now, but those I've commented about are possibly the most relevant ones.

It's not hard for us to be influenced by ideas that exist around us - even more if we're not defensive about them. Exposing ourselves to certain things means we are prone not to see them as bad things or even get to accept them in our lives. Occultism, for example, has become widespread in many ways. Currently, magic is no longer seen as a real problem, but where does magic come from? Christians recognize it comes from the evil one, so why don't we bother with it? When we reject things that offend God, we get closer to Him. In fact, that's an act of love.

Neopaganism is growing quickly and I guess this has a lot to do with the content that has been spread through movies, books and other means. In fact, occultism is going to grow more and more as time goes by. Our generation is sleeping and it's time for us to do something. As Ephesians 5:14 says: "Wake up, you who are sleeping. Rise from the dead and Christ will give you light."

This is the 2003 version so wrong series...
Jan 9, 2017 8:12 PM

Oct 2010
Chaotic_beauty said:
I was surprised by overtly Christian overtones in my most recent viewing. One half of the world in the anime is Christian and the other half acknowledges the religion.

Your take is interesting, but I'd generally classify your evidence as vaguely judeo-christian or merely spiritualist. Christianity is specifically extinct in FMA (2003).

http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Christianity

Christianity, as portrayed in the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime series is an ancient monotheistic religion. The followers of this ancient faith created the secret city that exists beneath Dante's lair and, as such, she and Hohenheim Elric may have been practitioners. However, according to Dante, all the adherents besides the two of them - as well as their system of time measurement based on the birth of their founder and icon, Jesus Christ - had died out centuries ago, because of their religious intolerance and subsequent conflicts based on that intolerance. Although no one in the Fullmetal Alchemist series practices or even knows of Christianity, the town of Aquroya holds a church which seems to mimic some of the practices of the Christian church. The infamous thief Psiren spends a short time as a nun in this church. In episode 16, as well, Al is seen with wards stuck onto him with crosses on them, which is the symbol of Christianity.

Watch episode 46, around 7:30 in - Izumi explains to Ed that Christianity is extinct.

Or watch episode 44, from the beginning - Dante takes Rose through the long-abandoned cathedral which is the entrance to her underground base. She tells Rose, "This cathedral is one dedicated to a faith much more ancient than yours. As you can see, it has been abandoned. It has been said that this faith had many believers who followed the ideal of worshiping one God; worship of any other was considered heresy. Because of that, many, many people died."

It would appear that the other largest modern real-world monotheistic religion, Islam, is similarly unknown in their world, and may never have become widespread to begin with.
Jan 10, 2017 5:40 AM

Apr 2015
I'm glad that @dovyjo and @Chaotic_beauty actually gave strong responses in relation to their backgrounds. I almost wish these two could spend a brief debate on the topic.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 10, 2017 5:53 AM

May 2015
First time I've heard that one. LOL.

Jan 10, 2017 3:27 PM

Oct 2010
Chaotic_beauty said:
Though, "our" world on the other side of the gate is also theirs; it's part of the same FMA universe.

Okay, I thought by world you meant their planet rather than their multiverse.

Not that it matters to the argument, but in that case the Christian population of both sides combined would be what, 1/6th?
http://www.pewforum.org/2011/12/19/global-christianity-exec/
http://christianityinview.com/religion-statistics.html

Realistically in such a scenario, I expect culture would indeed preserve some awareness of Christianity, since it had clearly been dominant through the middle ages. It would be like the general awareness of Greek mythology today.
Feb 4, 2019 9:38 PM
Feb 2019
Inherently magic and witchcraft are not entirely evil within semselves in the Bible. Using supernatural power (which is framed simply as science in the show) for selfish ends is evil, and there are plenty of characters in the show who abuse divine knowledge for terrible deeds. The two protagonists in the show are initially fascinated with playing God, which is definitely anti-christian, but they eventually come to understand why that's a terrible idea and they learn that messing with human souls is a terrible idea and the root evil in all society.

Complicate show, at times antireligious in that antagonists and even protagonists think they can play god, but in the end its about overcoming tyrrany and evil so the overall message is compatible with many religions.
Jan 13, 2021 10:12 AM
Jan 2021
No. Quite the opposite. I think FMAB IS Christian teaching at the core. It's teaching Japanese to learn from the West: be Christian.

Elric brothers represent Jesus. The revived each other. Ed in the end sacrificed himself (his Gate of Truth) so they both returned a set of new and matured men.

The homunculus in the flask represent the classical narcissistic Eastern male who wants to first become the western Father, while at the same time aiming beyond that - the Perfect Being.
Aug 29, 2021 7:00 PM
Jun 2020
watching anime in genral is a sin, its too late buddy
Sep 2, 2022 10:37 AM
Apr 2019
Solunous said:
It is not sin to take an interest in things that are not so Christian so just enjoy the show.

As A Christian anime fan I am in love with that approach. I have an anime fan and A Christian!
I like Fma, and I will love Jesus and anim e for life because you're right, it isn't A sin, and not only that, it is A gift from God!
Sep 7, 2022 11:27 PM

Sep 2020
When i was a christian i thought about that too, and didn't like Ed that much... (because what he says regarding god) But whatever lol, i don't think it's anti-christian, it's just that Ed doesn't believe in him, and nowadays i don't care about it much :/ well, it's just his personality. You can watch it with no problem, i don't consider it anti-christian at all.
LordeBatataSep 7, 2022 11:33 PM
Sep 7, 2022 11:30 PM

May 2018
One of the characters says "There is no such thing as God" at some point
Feb 1, 8:40 AM

Jun 2021
It's sort of blasphemical. Ed is an atheist and religion is put on a bad light. But it's Christian-approved due to its high quality, no gray morality, no fanservice and brotherhood themes. Watch it withc preucation. It's not for kids tho.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

More topics from this board

» Dub or Sub?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 28

20 by SalvatorePiazza »»
Apr 30, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.