Forum Settings
Forums

Welp, it didn't take long....feminists already bitching about Star Wars related things...

New
Dec 22, 2015 12:26 AM

Jun 2008
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/22/star-wars-merch-s-sexism-problem-wheresrey-highlights-dearth-in-female-toys.html

^Wah...there's no Rey toys....oppression!!!

It's the same BS that occurred with Avengers when they didn't have Black Widow toys.

It's simple capitalism....if there isn't a high enough demand for a certain product, said product will have low supply.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2015 12:39 AM

Aug 2013
but....why don't they have her figure or have her in any of the sets, it really doesn't make sense.
Dec 22, 2015 12:45 AM

Jun 2008
Spooks said:
but....why don't they have her figure or have her in any of the sets, it really doesn't make sense.

My guess is because they know that the overwhelming majority of the Star Wars fan base is male and maybe they prefer male figures?

I don't really know...but sexism is obviously not the answer.

In a capitalistic society and especially a consumerist one like the U.S....you supply the demand that people have, because the end goal is always profit.

I'm sure there ARE Rey toys...they're probably in low quantities compared to Finn...again, that's a demand/supply reason though.
Dec 22, 2015 12:46 AM

Mar 2008
Actually its not based on real demand its based on assumed demand. There are plenty of times when companies are wrong.
Dec 22, 2015 12:50 AM

Jun 2008
traed said:
Actually its not based on real demand its based on assumed demand. There are plenty of times when companies are wrong.

Fair enough...that's also true.

Companies make predictions on how they think the market willl act.

It's at this point that I will add that about 70% of the people that have watched the new star wars movie was male.

But, there's no need to worry....if customers start clamoring for Rey toys...trust me, they will come.

At the end of the day, it's all about $$$$

And if the demand is not there, than tough luck.
Dec 22, 2015 12:59 AM

Oct 2014
Why don't we just make a thread with some feminist pics and say attention seeking rItards every time they flare up like a yeast infection
I have a self destructive disease inside that eats away at me,
there is no place for it in this world,
this disease is righteousness.
Dec 22, 2015 1:00 AM

Apr 2013
Just because they're feminists, doesn't mean that they're always going to be wrong. Why don't they have her included in the New Millennium Falcon set? You don't have to be so quick to defend "Disney" considering that they're not always right.

There was a similar case in China. Chinese-Disney affiliated firms responsible for the marketing of the film shrunk and changed Finn's original 'role' in the poster.
Dec 22, 2015 1:12 AM

Apr 2015
JustALEX said:
traed said:

It's at this point that I will add that about 70% of the people that have watched the new star wars movie was male.

But, there's no need to worry....if customers start clamoring for Rey toys...trust me, they will come.

At the end of the day, it's all about $$$$

And if the demand is not there, than tough luck.

I would normally agree with this but Star Wars has the nasty tendency of making a toy out of everything, no matter how ridiculous or absurd it is. Case in point:

If you know who are most of these guys; congratulations you're a bigger nerd than I am (I didn't even know George Lucas had his own toy, I don't even...).

To not include one of the MCs seems... weird, I've also seen toys of generic pilots and generals floating around, one would think the main protagonists would be a given.
Dec 22, 2015 5:16 AM

Aug 2012
Execute those bastards I say.
Dec 22, 2015 5:19 AM

Mar 2015
Except there are Rey toys.
And like with most toys of characters with faces, it doesn't look too great, but it exists.
Dec 22, 2015 6:31 AM

May 2015
Who cares
Dec 22, 2015 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
Why is op so obsessed with feminism
also
ik00n said:
Who cares
Dec 22, 2015 9:21 AM

Jun 2013
Who cares tho? My guess is that they didn't knew she would be so loved by the fans (since she's a new character) and that's why.
Dec 22, 2015 9:47 AM

Sep 2013
Cause she wasn't marketed enough, all the attention is on the black guy.
Dec 22, 2015 10:10 AM

Jun 2008
ichii_1 said:
Cause she wasn't marketed enough, all the attention is on the black guy.

The thing about the article is that they're lying...

There ARE Rey toys...just not at the same level as Finn...

Star Wars is all about making money...there is no way in hell they wouldn't make a Rey toy.
Dec 22, 2015 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
JustALEX said:
Spooks said:

My guess is because they know that the overwhelming majority of the Star Wars fan base is male and maybe they prefer male figures?

I don't really know...but sexism is obviously not the answer.

In a capitalistic society and especially a consumerist one like the U.S....you supply the demand that people have, because the end goal is always profit.

Exactly that IS sexism.
Dec 22, 2015 10:22 AM

Jun 2008
^Uh...no.

If the majority of a consumer base doesn't want to buy female toys, that's simply their preference.

Personally, I've bought a few anime figures and they're all female characters.

Am I a sexist towards anime male characters because I prefer to buy female characters?
Dec 22, 2015 10:23 AM
Mar 2011
JustALEX said:
^Uh...no.

If the majority of a consumer base doesn't want to buy female toys, that's simply their preference.

Personally, I've bought a few anime figures and they're all female characters.

Am I a sexist towards anime male characters because I prefer to buy female characters?

expand you rcomsmer base
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 22, 2015 10:42 AM

Aug 2014
Not gonna lie, a Rey toy does sound kinda cool. With some kind of wrist/staff-spinning action. Or maybe one with a magnet in its palm a lightsaber with a metal handle.
Dec 22, 2015 10:43 AM

Jun 2008
DateYutaka said:
expand you rcomsmer base

Why?

Does Japan try to expand its anime consumer base which is overwhelmingly male?
Dec 22, 2015 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
Sort of SW spoiler:
Dec 22, 2015 11:13 AM
Mar 2011
JustALEX said:
DateYutaka said:
expand you rcomsmer base

Why?

Does Japan try to expand its anime consumer base which is overwhelmingly male?

non based on anime popuar on mal but i can reel 50 or more iconic shojo and plus precure a shojo anime is the most successful finacal Wise anime of the past 10 plus years [ that came out in that time]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Dec 22, 2015 12:41 PM

Jun 2008
Red_Keys said:
Sort of SW spoiler:

Anyway, you are right on the money....figuratively and literally.

Star Wars is one of the biggest brand names when it comes to selling merchandise.

They would NEVER turn down the opportunity to sell more toys if the demand was there.

And I LIKED Rey....a lot, she was great, she kicked a lot of ass and I'm excited to see more of her in future Star Wars movies.
Dec 22, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2015
>entire movie and characters altered to appeal to sjw's
>feminists still complain
I want to die.
Dec 22, 2015 4:03 PM
Mar 2014
Those people live their entire lives searching for a reason to be offended.
No matter how insignificant the problem is, they will find a way to be offended.
If there is no problem they'll create one by over-analyzing a very minor part of the movie!
likes anime and 東方project。
Dec 22, 2015 4:05 PM

Mar 2012
Nilin said:
Why is op so obsessed with feminism
also
ik00n said:
Who cares
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 22, 2015 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
Sometimes I really want to see what'll happen if we send a feminist to the middle-east and show them what real oppression is.
Dec 22, 2015 4:14 PM

Jun 2012
Women aren't allowed to consume or take interest in Star Wars products anyhow.
Dec 22, 2015 4:19 PM

Jun 2012
Protaku said:
Sometimes I really want to see what'll happen if we send a feminist to the middle-east and show them what real oppression is.
I don't really understand, are you suggesting patriarchy isn't a big deal because other people survive through worse?

Do we wish smallpox upon someone for complaining about cholera?
OchimushaDec 22, 2015 4:22 PM
Dec 22, 2015 4:21 PM

Sep 2012
AUGUSTUS said:
Women aren't allowed to consume or take interest in Star Wars products anyhow.
You live in an alternate universe.
Dec 22, 2015 7:36 PM
Oct 2008
JustALEX said:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/22/star-wars-merch-s-sexism-problem-wheresrey-highlights-dearth-in-female-toys.html

^Wah...there's no Rey toys....oppression!!!

It's the same BS that occurred with Avengers when they didn't have Black Widow toys.

It's simple capitalism....if there isn't a high enough demand for a certain product, said product will have low supply.

It is the fans who genuinely want the toy that are outraged, not feminists trying to force people to buy a toy they don't want. The fans make a good point - Disney did not get it right with their exclusion of their female fan base and traditional gender toys. The lure of money to be made will force them to catch them up with a more more modern fan base but until they do, they will receive flak for their outdated ideas that do not reflect their consumers.
Dec 23, 2015 12:17 AM

Nov 2009
I'm sorry but I have too many issues with turning this into some "Feminists v. Reality" issue . . . If they really didn't release Rey toys then that is cerebral. She was practically the main character . . .

Moreover, it isn't like only women buy girl figures and men buy boy figures (if this was true the anime figurine business would be pretty fucked), so I fail to see any argument about "Too few girl star war fans, so girl figures won't sell", although this of course ignores the other issue which is, are there really so few "girl star wars fans"? I think not.

However, this article is biased. A quick google search shows that there are plenty of Rey figurines. So perhaps her beef is with the store in question, not with Disney itself, nor Star Wars. Had the franchise intentionally not released Rey figurines I wouldn't call it "sexist", just "stupid".
Dec 23, 2015 1:09 AM

Jul 2015
JustALEX said:
traed said:

Most anime watchers are males too, are they buying Guts figs and dakimakuras?
Dec 23, 2015 1:11 AM

Apr 2014
AUGUSTUS said:
Protaku said:
I don't really understand, are you suggesting patriarchy isn't a big deal because other people survive through worse?

Do we wish smallpox upon someone for complaining about cholera?

There is a distinct difference between first world and third world problems. That's all I'm saying.
Dec 23, 2015 1:18 AM

Oct 2014
Feminists always crying always making a big deal out of nothing.
I have a self destructive disease inside that eats away at me,
there is no place for it in this world,
this disease is righteousness.
Dec 23, 2015 1:26 AM

Nov 2011
Of course there will be, Rey is a Disney Princess.

Dec 23, 2015 5:43 AM

Aug 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Had the franchise intentionally not released Rey figurines I wouldn't call it "sexist", just "stupid".

but isn't "nobody wants a female figure" or "well its a girl so leave her out of most sets" still sexist and stupid. Either way if they intentionally leave out the main female figure from things because its a girl figure then it is sexist.

I'm sure there's Rey figures out there but a lot of shops tend to order much less. Its defiantly a first world problem thing but the feminists are right on this one, there is no real good reason to assume nobody wants a female character figure. They wouldn't order less Finn figures because they think "nobody wants a black guy figure" that would be racist.
Dec 23, 2015 5:46 AM

Jan 2015
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
I want to die.
Dec 23, 2015 6:24 AM

Jun 2008
Again...there ARE Rey toys...it would've been the mistake of the century if Star Wars didn't have toys of the freaking main character.

The issue is that MAYBE she isn't selling as well as some of the male toys...

@Pirating_Ninja....you can not compare the consumer habits of anime fans and Star Wars fans...

Male anime fans (from what I've seen) typically buy female figures due to the fact that it is visually more pleasing to them than male figures...also male anime fans do not buy figure for playing purposes, but for display and collection.

Just go to "myfigurecollection.net" to see what I mean.

Meanwhile, there is also a good amount of star wars fans that will also buy figures for this aesthetic purpose, but they tend to buy male figures more.

Also kids do tend to have toys that are their own gender as well...

And I did say that the overwhelming majority of star wars fans is male....

There is nothing sexist going on.

Rey toys are probably not as desirable due to certain preferences and not inherent sexism.
Dec 23, 2015 6:37 AM

Sep 2012
were your parents feminists who abandoned you as a kid or something

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 23, 2015 7:05 AM

May 2015
Just ignore them, man.
Dec 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Jan 2015
Toasty_One said:
Ravioli_Ravioli said:
I want to die.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Dec 23, 2015 7:43 AM
Mar 2011
JustALEX said:
Red_Keys said:
Sort of SW spoiler:

Anyway, you are right on the money....figuratively and literally.

Star Wars is one of the biggest brand names when it comes to selling merchandise.

They would NEVER turn down the opportunity to sell more toys if the demand was there.

And I LIKED Rey....a lot, she was great, she kicked a lot of ass and I'm excited to see more of her in future Star Wars movies.

heyyou never abser my point

Dec 23, 2015 9:33 AM

Jul 2015
It's time to reestablish No Ma'am

Dec 23, 2015 11:51 AM

May 2009
This reeks of SJW cherry-picking, as usual. They probably visited a store or two that didn't have many, if any, Rey figurines (at least, not on display), and concluded that ALL stores don't have Rey figurines.

Either way, I fail to see the problem. If people want figurines of her, they'll buy them, and if they're not around, the toy manufacturer will probably be asked to make more of them to suit the demand.

And even if it weren't Rey figurines, I wouldn't be surprised if they found something else to bitch and whine about, because these people are never satisfied.

Sukebe14 said:
It's time to reestablish No Ma'am

Thank you, Al. Where do I sign up?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2015 11:56 AM

Sep 2012
AO968 said:
This reeks of SJW cherry-picking, as usual. They probably visited a store or two that didn't have many, if any, Rey figurines (at least, not on display), and concluded that ALL stores don't have Rey figurines.
It would be funny if the stored didn't have them because they were already sold out.
Dec 23, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2008
#WheresRey

Here she is you goddamn morons!

But unless she's in EVERY fucking toy set and EVERY fucking toy store.....Feminists will cry "sexism".
Dec 23, 2015 2:15 PM

Jun 2008
JustALEX said:

Wait what? Males do not prefer male figures. Unless this are toys and not detailed figures for shelf. Then is not about males but kids.
Dec 23, 2015 2:19 PM

Aug 2013
Monad said:

Wait what? Males do not prefer male figures. Unless this are toys and not detailed figures for shelf. Then is not about males but kids.

Dec 23, 2015 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
IntellectualMr said:
Execute those bastards I say.

Off with their heads. Such a crime against humanity.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.