Forum Settings
Forums

a more fine tuned banning system to allow some functions for some users

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2021 1:21 AM

Aug 2020
Yeah, this should be implemented.
Also, the countdown till unban. We cannot wait for the Moderator on IRC everytime only to get info on ban duration.
Aug 24, 2021 1:59 AM
Jul 2021
I agree. This website is very outdated.
Aug 24, 2021 7:23 AM
Dec 2017
Exactly a coutdown for when your ban is removed and a auto ban removal system and also just leave the ban at the forum.

Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM

Jul 2020
Crow_Black said:
Exactly a coutdown for when your ban is removed and a auto ban removal system and also just leave the ban at the forum.

mr_modest said:
Yeah, this should be implemented.
Also, the countdown till unban. We cannot wait for the Moderator on IRC everytime only to get info on ban duration.

Yeah, some users who get ban aren't aware of the IRC chat at all and they also don't know how to contact a mod so they have no choice but to use alt acc to ask when does their ban ends even though it's against the rules.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 24, 2021 7:31 AM
Dec 2017
@Scordolo

Its so outdated to use the rizon irc as your going to be in purgatory for quite a while.

Also the forums should remove rules 7,5 and the 30 character limit.

Aug 24, 2021 8:04 AM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
I do understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure that I fully agree. I think it would work better if there were some sort of "tier system", for lack of a better term.

For example, if someone commits a minor offense (eg. breaking the 30 character limit), then they could be banned from the forums, but would still be allowed to update their profile and talk to other users through profile comments or private messages.

But if someone commits a more serious offense (such as being discriminatory or constantly harassing another user for no reason), then they should have their entire account removed and their email blacklisted from the site to prevent them from ever coming back. I genuinely couldn't care less if people like that suddenly lost track of all their anime progress.

vv Yeah, it's definitely not a foolproof idea. I'm aware that, for example, someone could easily just set up a new email address. :\
Kuroni_KuruAug 25, 2021 7:09 AM
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Aug 24, 2021 10:04 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
And also, regarding the IP ban thing, what if there's someone at home who also uses MAL? Assuming Person A does shit and gets IP banned, does that mean Person B who is uninformed also gets banned?

And another thing, see I've been banned myself twice, but both were accidents. The first time the bot accused me of posting something I didn't do. Even the mod at the IRC chat could not prove to me that I posted something when I asked him to look it up, so I was unbanned. And the second, because I was accused of committing spam when I was only pointing to someone's club. I heard the fifth's the perma so although I obviously won't be doing shit as I've had this account for almost a decade now, it makes me uneasy knowing that shit like that can happen and I'd appreciate some answers
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 25, 2021 7:04 AM
Dec 2017
Kuroni_Kuru said:
I do understand where you're coming from, but I'm not sure that I fully agree. I think it would work better if there were some sort of "tier system", for lack of a better term.

For example, if someone commits a minor offense (eg. breaking the 30 character limit), then they could be banned from the forums, but would still be allowed to update their profile and talk to other users through profile comments or private messages.

But if someone commits a more serious offense (such as being discriminatory or constantly harassing another user for no reason), then they should have their entire account removed and their email blacklisted from the site to prevent them from ever coming back. I genuinely couldn't care less if people like that suddenly lost track of all their anime progress.

That is not going to work at all and honestly they should remove such things like the 30 character limit and people could get bypass through those other things you mentioned as well.

Aug 25, 2021 9:08 AM
Aug 2021
i have a better thread name for you:
Aug 26, 2021 9:07 AM

Aug 2021
Throwing in my two cents. There are a couple of forums I've been to that take a piecemeal approach to this sort of thing, and generally the ban system goes something like this (on all of the forums I've been to, anyway):

1. Area-specific bans. For example, a moderator could ban a user from the forums only but still let them use the site, or ban them from personal messages while letting them use the forums. The point is that you don't instantly cut off all access in one fell swoop unless the person really deserves it.
  2. Read-only mode. Basically, if you're permabanned from the site, you can't interact with anything or make any forum posts, but you can still read the site. Even when you were IP banned, you'd still be able to read the site.
  3. Subforum and thread-specific bans. I know XenForo has this as a core addon. Essentially, if someone was behaving like a dick in one of the subforums but was fine in the other ones, you'd just ban them from that one forum. Ditto for thread bans, where you'd just ban them from that one thread if they kept on trolling it.

Also, IRC is dead in 2021.

Also also, please stick the ban timer on the page. Every forum I've been to, be it vBulletin or XenForo, has had the unban duration being displayed, i.e.

"You have been banned for the following reason: Are you high? This isn't the place to chat.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

and going on IRC to figure out how long it would take? *shudders*
Nolo contendere.
Aug 26, 2021 10:45 AM

Mar 2008
I already suggested this but with more detail on how that could function and with even more ban types like @Rubroculi said
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1422293&show=0

Kuroni_Kuru said:

That would be really stupid. It would erase their identity tied to their forum posts so people cant see how they were. Also discrimination? What is that even supposed to entail? That's one of the dumbest parts is you included something so vague as being worthy of the highest offense. Literally no site deletes accounts as a ban that's for a reason.
Aug 26, 2021 11:57 AM

Aug 2021
Kuroni_Kuru said:

But if someone commits a more serious offense (such as being discriminatory or constantly harassing another user for no reason), then they should have their entire account removed and their email blacklisted from the site to prevent them from ever coming back.

Quite a few questions here.

First off, what do you consider to be harassing/discriminatory behavior?

Second, deleting accounts would completely break the flow of conversations. Why not just permanently ban them (which is what happens now) rather than delete their account?
Nolo contendere.
Aug 26, 2021 12:39 PM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
Rubroculi said:
First off, what do you consider to be harassing/discriminatory behavior?

Insulting someone based on their age, race, gender, sex, sexuality, that sort of thing.

Rubroculi said:
Second, deleting accounts would completely break the flow of conversations. Why not just permanently ban them (which is what happens now) rather than delete their account?

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but the mods can and often do remove posts that contain discrimination/harassment anyway, so I don't really see how my suggestion ruins the conversation any more than the rules that are already in place. It just serves to prevent potential rule-breakers from making repeat offenses, if that makes sense?

Despite the fact that the MAL community as a whole is pretty nice and polite, I have seen several discriminatory comments slip through the cracks, and I'd really like to see them disappear completely. Perhaps my suggestion might be viewed as being a bit too drastic, but to each their own. :P
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Aug 26, 2021 3:01 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Scordolo said:
If a mod bans a user he/she is prohibited from using the entire MAL which is utterly ridiculous. We all have the right to at least update and track the list. Just because we behaved badly in the forums we aren't allowed to track at all?
Agreed, pretty ridiculous that being banned for forum misbehavior bans you from the whole site and all of its features, and not just the forums. I'd think anyone would naturally assume that a ban for the forums should just give you a ban for the forums.
Aug 26, 2021 6:03 PM

Sep 2014
The better solution is to not get banned. I know it sounds ridiculous and unenlightened, but if you behave normally and respect the guideline you won't have to face such problems and thus here is the solution to your problem.
Aug 26, 2021 7:28 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Hrybami said:
The better solution is to not get banned. I know it sounds ridiculous and unenlightened, but if you behave normally and respect the guideline you won't have to face such problems and thus here is the solution to your problem.

If it was that easy, Just a few seconds ago I got my second accusation of spam and thus was warned yet again for participating in the mood of the thread

I swear, some of them take delight in pressing the ban button. I just know it :P
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 26, 2021 7:35 PM

Aug 2021
Hrybami said:

No one really wants to be banned, especially if they're just having a conversation. The age-old example is two people having a debate that then spills over into personal attacks. You could argue that if they wanted not to be banned, they should have stopped, but that's not always how it works.

Sometimes, people lose their temper and forget to step away from the keyboard.
Nolo contendere.
Aug 26, 2021 11:33 PM

Oct 2018
They should fix the 30 char limit ban rule. Some users like me who get accused by the mods because of that but unintentionally. But many users are not banned, even they broke that rule. MAL site is so broken.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 26, 2021 11:42 PM

Aug 2021
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
They should fix the 30 char limit ban rule. Some users like me who get accused by the mods because of that but unintentionally. But many users are not banned, even they broke that rule. MAL site is so broken.

As a new user, the 30 character ban limit is rather weird to comprehend. Does it mean that if you make a forum post with less than 30 characters, you get banned for it (depending on whether or not a mod notices, of course) or is there something else that I'm missing in my analysis?
Nolo contendere.
Aug 26, 2021 11:56 PM

Oct 2018
Rubroculi said:
As a new user, the 30 character ban limit is rather weird to comprehend. Does it mean that if you make a forum post with less than 30 characters, you get banned for it (depending on whether or not a mod notices, of course) or is there something else that I'm missing in my analysis?
It's referencing spamming (e.g., strings of text) or typing random things in order to bypass the 30 character minimum. Try and post less than 5 characters here and you'll receive a prompt preventing you from posting, as well as a warning. It's categorized in the guidelines here as spam.
zagzeeAug 27, 2021 12:00 AM
Aug 26, 2021 11:59 PM

Aug 2021
zagzee said:
It's referencing spamming (e.g., strings of text) or typing random things in order to bypass the 30 character minimum.

Ah, I get it. That makes a bit more sense now.
With that being said, I do find it a little awkward (if you see my post) to type anything extra beyond 30 characters when I don't need to.

It's mostly because this post could have simply been "I get it" had it not been for the character limit.

Edit: quote pyramid removed
Nolo contendere.
Aug 27, 2021 12:22 AM

Oct 2018
Rubroculi said:
Ah, I get it. That makes a bit more sense now.
With that being said, I do find it a little awkward (if you see my post) to type anything extra beyond 30 characters when I don't need to.

It's mostly because this post could have simply been "I get it" had it not been for the character limit.
I believe the current limit exists because users would come to popular boards like AD and CD and leave short one-word replies. The problem with that is it's useless input that doesn't engage in any meaningful discussion, especially for boards with "discussion" in the name.
Aug 27, 2021 12:11 PM

Sep 2014
Rubroculi said:
Hrybami said:

No one really wants to be banned, especially if they're just having a conversation. The age-old example is two people having a debate that then spills over into personal attacks. You could argue that if they wanted not to be banned, they should have stopped, but that's not always how it works.

Sometimes, people lose their temper and forget to step away from the keyboard.

It's their fault and they deserve to get banned I've been through this as well. Avoiding personal attack is not impossible. I used to call people dumb before when they say extremely idiotic things until I got banned for 3 days and now I never reply when the discussion goes into personal attack.
Aug 27, 2021 12:13 PM

Sep 2014
3miL said:
Hrybami said:

If it was that easy, Just a few seconds ago I got my second accusation of spam and thus was warned yet again for participating in the mood of the thread

I swear, some of them take delight in pressing the ban button. I just know it :P

Idk, I rarely ever get warning anymore even though a lot of people seem to think I'm super toxic or something. It really depend on how you write and express yourself.
Aug 27, 2021 12:25 PM

Jul 2020
Hrybami said:
3miL said:

Idk, I rarely ever get warning anymore even though a lot of people seem to think I'm super toxic or something. It really depend on how you write and express yourself.

A lot of people are annoyed by you because you constantly trash on HxH lmao. Tho I never cared about you trashing on HxH

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 27, 2021 12:28 PM

Sep 2014
Scordolo said:
Hrybami said:

A lot of people are annoyed by you because you constantly trash on HxH lmao. Tho I never cared about you trashing on HxH

Yeah and I always see the same people trashing the anime I like and I never called them out for that. Double standard much?
Aug 27, 2021 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:

Some people even get banned intentionally, which I think is pretty stupid.
Aug 27, 2021 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Scordolo said:
Hrybami said:

Eh. People trash on other shounen anime to make it look good. So why not? (This isn't directed towards you btw)
Aug 27, 2021 9:38 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Hrybami said:
3miL said:

I don't even shit on people's tastes despite having disagreements here and there

The 1st one was just me using arrows to point to a person's club and THAT was already spam

the second, which just happened yesterday was because I was using a gif and a hidden message (which was totally relevant to the conversation) in white text (with which, might I add can be totally seen in dark mode) and the dum mfr INSISTED that it's still spam.

Sure, redefine terms, I know that makes you guys feel good inside. Rotten assholes

They're essentially calling out people they don't like to stop socializing, ffs.

and on top of that, no person in charge is seriously addressing this which to me proves my point further
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 28, 2021 9:08 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
Kuroni_Kuru said:
if someone commits a more serious offense (such as being discriminatory or constantly harassing another user for no reason), then they should have their entire account removed and their email blacklisted from the site to prevent them from ever coming back. I genuinely couldn't care less if people like that suddenly lost track of all their anime progress.

Just quoting this to say that I absolutely agree
My greatest contribution to this website:
Aug 28, 2021 3:19 PM

Jun 2016
Scordolo said:
If a mod bans a user he/she is prohibited from using the entire MAL which is utterly ridiculous. We all have the right to at least update and track the list. Just because we behaved badly in the forums we aren't allowed to track at all? The banned users shouldn't be allowed to use forums but they all have the right to track their anime.
I know many will say the users who have a high risk of getting banned should behave properly but that's just a poor excuse to not modernize the site.
The site even though being the most popular anime tracking site in the web, is still outdated and needs to be fixed asap.
I know the suggestion boards is useless but I'm still leaving it here just in case.

Tbh here i have came across people who are absolute pieces of shit who shouldn't be allowed to use internet let alone MAL, so for lighter mistakes or "my bad won't do again" kind of things there should be week ban but yeah they should allow users to update their list but only for light offences, but for the worst pieces of shit like racists and homophobic they get the permanent ban, nothing should be allowed to them.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Aug 30, 2021 4:06 AM

Apr 2014
Duplicate threads merged

Scordolo said:

Yeah, some users who get ban aren't aware of the IRC chat at all and they also don't know how to contact a mod so they have no choice but to use alt acc to ask when does their ban ends even though it's against the rules.

The ban message tells you everything about the IRC and how to contact a mod. If you choose to ignore that that's up to you. But yeah I agree that the ban screen and system in itself is outdated.

3miL said:
And also, regarding the IP ban thing, what if there's someone at home who also uses MAL? Assuming Person A does shit and gets IP banned, does that mean Person B who is uninformed also gets banned?

And another thing, see I've been banned myself twice, but both were accidents. The first time the bot accused me of posting something I didn't do. Even the mod at the IRC chat could not prove to me that I posted something when I asked him to look it up, so I was unbanned. And the second, because I was accused of committing spam when I was only pointing to someone's club. I heard the fifth's the perma so although I obviously won't be doing shit as I've had this account for almost a decade now, it makes me uneasy knowing that shit like that can happen and I'd appreciate some answers

When an account is banned the IP is banned with it. The other persons account doesn't get a ban in this case though the IP ban might prevent him from accessing the site unless it is known by the mod that there's another person on the IP so he can unban it. If it still happens that the other person can't access the website due to the IP ban it can be solved on IRC rather easily.
The bans that happen due to a spambot banned IP or you sending a link that gets you auto banned due to the spambot filter don't go on the account and don't count towards those 5 bans. Also it's 5 bans in the same category within a short(ish) amount of time. If you were to break the rules with 4x abuse and 1x spam it'd end up with a warning / ban (stage #1) again and not a permanent ban.

3miL said:
Hrybami said:

I don't even shit on people's tastes despite having disagreements here and there

The 1st one was just me using arrows to point to a person's club and THAT was already spam

the second, which just happened yesterday was because I was using a gif and a hidden message (which was totally relevant to the conversation) in white text (with which, might I add can be totally seen in dark mode) and the dum mfr INSISTED that it's still spam.

Sure, redefine terms, I know that makes you guys feel good inside. Rotten assholes

They're essentially calling out people they don't like to stop socializing, ffs.

and on top of that, no person in charge is seriously addressing this which to me proves my point further

Maybe if you'd stop calling people "dumb motherfuckers" or "rotten assholes" you wouldn't have to worry about being banned.

The ban system will get an overhaul that'll include the ban screen with a countdown and the replacement of IRC. Regarding the ban-only-on-forums I am unsure if it'll ever happen or if even I myself am for it.
As everyone knows MAL has a spagetthi code so changing anything on it, especially big things like the ban system and which user can access which site would potentially take a lot of time and money to change. In the end I don't see a company changing a system for people that keep breaking the rules and don't benefit them at all.
I'm also the opinion that if you keep getting banned you shouldn't have access to PMs / comments so you can keep harassing people that you've insulted which was why you've originally been banned for. The list only? Maybe though that'd give people the thought they can troll on the forums because they don't usually use them anyway and keep their list with a ban.
It also won't change ban evading with an alt. If people evade a ban to list their anime then they keep quiet about it anyway. If they use the alt to troll on the forums again they'd do so even if they had access to a list.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Aug 30, 2021 4:51 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
NoLiferSoul said:
Maybe if you'd stop calling people "dumb motherfuckers" or "rotten assholes" you wouldn't have to worry about being banned.

I wouldn't be this pissed if it was just one time. The second instance had already happened where words are being played with just so something can be stated to be "against the rules". I'm not just pointing fingers, I've heard a lot of things about how magic is done here from other people.

And for somebody who uses their account a lot, just one "warning", or should I say accusation is already enough to alarm me about what's to come

Of course I am confident that I haven't done anything that serious to be given shit, under the assumption that things mean what I think they mean
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 30, 2021 5:03 AM

Jul 2020
3miL said:
NoLiferSoul said:

I wouldn't be this pissed if it was just one time. The second instance had already happened where words are being played with just so something can be stated to be "against the rules". I'm not just pointing fingers, I've heard a lot of things about how magic is done here from other people.

And for somebody who uses their account a lot, just one "warning", or should I say accusation is already enough to alarm me about what's to come

Of course I am confident that I haven't done anything that serious to be given shit, under the assumption that things mean what I think they mean

You know you can just not choose to use the white text? A retired mod said to me that if you can't type at least 30 characters then your opinion isn't even worth looking at for. Which they are probably right.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 30, 2021 4:18 PM

Mar 2008
Hrybami said:

People that get banned that actually are problem users try to get around bans and point of this is to give them less incentive to do so. The purpose of a ban is NOT supposed to be to simply punish people it's supposed to be meant as an attempt to maintain discussion and prevent users being harmed. Considering MAL allows people to back up their lists and on top of that aniilist iirc has a function to import your MAL list I don't think fine tuning the ban will reduce the effect banning people has on some users so there isn't really any down side. It wont make bans more threatening but that's not the point, it alters user behaviour is the point.
Aug 30, 2021 9:13 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Scordolo said:
3miL said:

You know you can just not choose to use the white text? A retired mod said to me that if you can't type at least 30 characters then your opinion isn't even worth looking at for. Which they are probably right.

Taking things out of context, I see.

in that thread someone made a joke in white text. I responded to him and the op in white but the response was still connected to the thread's main topic

spam is literally using characters to fill the limit. Which I did not do, that was simply text in white. Yeah, yet another case of redefinition
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 31, 2021 3:32 AM

Jul 2020
3miL said:
Scordolo said:

Taking things out of context, I see.

in that thread someone made a joke in white text. I responded to him and the op in white but the response was still connected to the thread's main topic

spam is literally using characters to fill the limit. Which I did not do, that was simply text in white. Yeah, yet another case of redefinition

Oh I get it now. The mod should've looked more into the context before banning. Some would just like to abuse their power.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 19, 2023 12:12 AM

Jan 2009
bump this is relevant to the difference in power between forum moderators and community moderators
Aug 8, 2023 12:31 AM

Jul 2020
deg said:
bump this is relevant to the difference in power between forum moderators and community moderators

What happened? I'm not that active in mal nowadays.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 8, 2023 12:43 AM

Mar 2008
Scordolo said:
deg said:

He was just talking about how forum mods got split into two categories now. "Forum mods" only moderate posts, while "community mods" have the power forum mods used to have which is to moderate posts as well as ban and unban users. Im not sure what deg meant though since im sure the split was made because some mods didnt want to deal with users upset about being banned. My idea doesnt really relate to that but i see the parallels.
Aug 8, 2023 12:50 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Scordolo said:

He was just talking about how forum mods got split into two categories now. "Forum mods" only moderate posts, while "community mods" have the power forum mods used to have which is to moderate posts as well as ban and unban users. Im not sure what deg meant though since im sure the split was made because some mods didnt want to deal with users upset about being banned. My idea doesnt really relate to that but i see the parallels.

i mean that forum moderators should have powers to ban users from posting on forums only for example so that kind of a ban will still let users use other functions of the site like updating their list so its a partial ban rather than a full ban like the community moderators do
Jan 12, 2:08 PM

Mar 2008
Guess i should bump this since two more threads for this popped up and the mods arent merging them
Jan 12, 3:30 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to traed
Guess i should bump this since two more threads for this popped up and the mods arent merging them
@traed Never thought someone already created a thread about this but this feels a lot more logical.
Anyways, if it wasnt implemented 8 years ago, me making a new suggestion doesnt help I guess.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

4 by traed »»
6 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

20 by Astachanna »»
6 hours ago

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - Today

1 by Astachanna »»
6 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.