Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Industry Records Double-Digit Growth in 2014

New
Aug 25, 2015 2:09 AM

Jul 2009
The Association of Japanese Animations (AJA), in its annual industry report scheduled for publication on September 18, reports that the global anime industry recorded double-digit growth in 2014. The report estimates the anime market grew to a high of 1,629.6 billion yen in 2014, compared to 1,491.3 billion yen in 2013.

This figure is a measurement of market size based on the estimated amount spent in the animation and animation-related markets by consumers. The animation-related market includes the character business, which has a major leveraging effect in the industry. The AJA attributes the increase to growth in rights sales and commercialization of video distribution in China.

The AJA is the industry association acting for animation studios and individuals involved in animation. Past editions of its annual industry report (2014 edition pictured) are available for free download in Japanese and in English on the group's website.

Source: Anime! Anime!
myanimelistllcFeb 11, 2016 6:28 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 25, 2015 2:12 AM

Jan 2009
glad to know that the Chinese are not mainly pirating anime like the rest of us lol, but the increase is not that dramatic so i guess China video distribution is not that big of a profit making machine
Aug 25, 2015 2:31 AM

Nov 2011
And it will continue to grow. I'm curious to see what next year's will compare to this year at around end of Summer.
Aug 25, 2015 2:31 AM

Jun 2013
Industry is dying they said.. lol
Aug 25, 2015 2:37 AM
Apr 2013

Aug 25, 2015 2:37 AM

Mar 2013
really? well i guess good news. but please make more 2 cour anime. anime more than 1 cour!

Impala said:
Industry is dying they said.. lol

it will be no fun they said. lol
raviel_kenAug 25, 2015 2:42 AM

Aug 25, 2015 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
YAAY! I'm so happy that many people are supporting. X3
Aug 25, 2015 2:58 AM

Sep 2013
I would give a shit 'bout that if it did mean that we'll get the goddamn second season of Deadman Wonderland..but it doesn't..so bleh...
Aug 25, 2015 3:01 AM

Jan 2013
Im glad that the industry's in good talks with money, this means more anime for us. Hopefully they will start doing worthy series
Aug 25, 2015 3:03 AM

Jul 2012
I'm sure it'll continue to grow, I just hope there will be more streamlined inclusion for the rest of us.
Aug 25, 2015 3:36 AM

Aug 2013
This is a nice fat cock in the mouths of all the people whining about the anime industry saying it's dying and a failing industry. Even the charts Worldeditor posted help back up the industry's growth.

Hopefully the haters will be gargling on that schlong of truth long enough that we get some peace and quiet now, lol.

"The AJA attributes the increase to growth in rights sales and commercialization of video distribution in China".

Kind of surprised...since China has censored or banned like hundreds of anime recently.
Aug 25, 2015 3:41 AM
Aug 2015
it could have been even more but sadly thieves watch it illegally
japan should just ignore the west, different cultures anyway
Aug 25, 2015 3:49 AM

Jun 2014
j0x said:
glad to know that the Chinese are not mainly pirating anime like the rest of us lol, but the increase is not that dramatic so i guess China video distribution is not that big of a profit making machine
What? 10% is a large increase for a single year, dunno what'cha talking about.
Aug 25, 2015 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
Agafin said:
j0x said:
What? 10% is a large increase for a single year, dunno what'cha talking about.

China is the second biggest consumer in the world though simply because they are the biggest population at the moment, so i expected more profit on that place
Aug 25, 2015 3:58 AM

Aug 2014
All that money made on the back of poor animators working for slave wage. Well played Anime Industry.
Aug 25, 2015 4:25 AM

Mar 2013
Jonesy974 said:
This is a nice fat cock in the mouths of all the people whining about the anime industry saying it's dying and a failing industry.

I died reading this.
Aug 25, 2015 4:34 AM

Jul 2014
It's still way down from 10 years ago, and the money is now distributed among many more studios and publishers than before.

The lack of up to date distribution methods are still making the industry suffer. I don't think optical media will exist even for 5 more years, they better have a centralized digital industry-spanning platform ready soon or it's going to be massive problems for them. The current "option" of having to subscribe to streaming services with pitiful selections and region-locking is something only the most gullible of consumers would do.

Plus, it's punishing for consumers to literally have no option of contributing money when they want to. I for example don't own any optical drives, never will, and am already a skeptic to streaming even without considering every service only having a fraction of the content. I've subbed to CR once and that was both the first and last time.
Red_TuesdayAug 25, 2015 5:02 AM
Aug 25, 2015 5:12 AM
Feb 2014
Haha, take that oldfags!

Now the shitty Miyazaki/Anno memes can be put to rest.
Aug 25, 2015 5:27 AM

Jan 2014
Considering how many more people working in the industry, what "salary" they get, and what politics government is doing, anime industry is still dying and none can stop it.
Aug 25, 2015 5:28 AM

Jul 2014
So much for the death of industry. If it is growing though, I'd like to see more 2-cour anime being made than what is currently being made.
Aug 25, 2015 6:25 AM

May 2014
Yohimo_asakura said:
Considering how many more people working in the industry, what "salary" they get, and what politics government is doing, anime industry is still dying and none can stop it.

yeah..more and more people comes in for producing and the demand isn't catching up..
maybe exerting effort more internationally is good..but cultural racism maybe the problem here...just all my opinion tho~
Aug 25, 2015 6:28 AM
Mar 2015
I wish there was a anime market in india, it would have helped anime industry to grow more, and will help fans like us to get official stuffs
Aug 25, 2015 7:19 AM

May 2012
F0XFIRE said:
All that money made on the back of poor animators working for slave wage. Well played Anime Industry.
This is a concern. If they make such huge money, then why pay animators such peanuts of money?? One person from A-1 Pictures even died few years ago due to depression. This turns me off from ever become an animator. Wonder if down the West is like this too, highly doubted I guess.
Aug 25, 2015 7:25 AM

Nov 2008
China is now a viable market for anime, however it is a recent deal then again China also has PS4 and Xbox One this year. However these gains signify the need to pay their animators more as they are dying, you can't expect to survive on an animator's wage, it's not even close to minimum wage. What needs to be done is mobile streaming of anime inside and outside Japan with decent apps, it's needed badly.

Aug 25, 2015 7:37 AM

Aug 2015
bitch slap to those people who said anime is dying :D aham aham especially to that person who said it will die in next 5 years
Aug 25, 2015 7:46 AM

Nov 2008
ultravigo said:
bitch slap to those people who said anime is dying :D aham aham especially to that person who said it will die in next 5 years

I wonder if we'll see anymore damage control from Anno.

Aug 25, 2015 7:54 AM

Aug 2015
Nico- said:
Haha, take that oldfags!

Now the shitty Miyazaki/Anno memes can be put to rest.

you are the only one using them
Aug 25, 2015 7:57 AM

Sep 2013
Nah don't worry, the amount of ecchi and moe will definitely kill the industry anyday now :)

And it will only get bigger when bleach 2 comes out.
Aug 25, 2015 8:27 AM

Jun 2014
nice to see the industry is doing well, who would've guessed?

i'll still pirate tho :P
:3
Aug 25, 2015 8:48 AM

Jun 2014
Don't let these figures mislead you into believing the workers are happy go lucky, when in reality they are working for slave-pay.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 25, 2015 9:49 AM

May 2009
Mod Edit: quote of deleted comment regarding impact of streaming on animators' pay removed

Nothing of that has any connection with the working conditions in which the animators do their job, as they get paid upfront, while the production committees (of which the studios are often not a member) get all the money earned from physical sales, CR subscriptions, etc.

Being an animator is a poor man's job, and unless the PCs are going to up the budgets dramatically, it will always stay that way. And that goes for any other business, not just the anime industry. For example, music artists get royally fucked in the ass by their labels, and even touring may not be all that profitable if the artist has a shitty contract.

The problem lies not in piracy, or whatever scapegoat the industry comes with, but corporate greed – the people at the top rake in the most dough, while the ones at the bottom of the ladder will have to do with peanuts, even though they do more work in relation to the higher-ups. And whenever there are problems, those who feel it the most get hurt the most, because there will always be someone willing to work for dirt-cheap, and anyone in the workforce is replaceable.
rodacAug 27, 2015 7:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2015 11:04 AM

Jun 2012
Good to know.

With this i hope that the "anime is dying/the industry is doomed" crowd will shut the fuck up already.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Aug 25, 2015 11:10 AM

Apr 2010
Red_Tuesday said:
The lack of up to date distribution methods are still making the industry suffer. I don't think optical media will exist even for 5 more years, they better have a centralized digital industry-spanning platform ready soon or it's going to be massive problems for them. The current "option" of having to subscribe to streaming services with pitiful selections and region-locking is something only the most gullible of consumers would do.

The otaku mindset is built on consumption of physical goods. Physical releases isn't going away, since they're not going to be able to charge 35 dollars an episode for a file.

Aug 25, 2015 11:32 AM

Apr 2013
chaosflame5 said:
F0XFIRE said:
This is a concern. If they make such huge money, then why pay animators such peanuts of money?? One person from A-1 Pictures even died few years ago due to depression.

The animation studios that are not Studio Ghibli are small companies who are given budgets based on how much their executive producers, or clients, are willing to give them. Thus, they can't afford to pay every single animator on their team (who are freelance anyway, so they hop studios) a salary.

This turns me off from ever become an animator. Wonder if down the West is like this too, highly doubted I guess.

There was a wage-fixing scandal released last year that included big-name companies such as Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, Blue Sky, Sony Pictures, and Lucasfilms. A recent ruling means the companies involved will potentially go to trial for it. So we have that problem here in the West, too, but its on a different scale compared to what goes on with Japanese animators.
Aug 25, 2015 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
Anime won't die that easily

True masterpieces keep the industry afloat.
Aug 25, 2015 12:21 PM

Nov 2008
TheNaturalPerm said:

Worst LN adaptation to date.

Try again
ichii_1 said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Don't let these figures mislead you into believing the workers are happy go lucky, when in reality they are working for slave-pay.

Only if you compare the wages to entitled countries like america.
If you can't draw fast, don't complain about low pay.

Don't defend the studio's acts of corporate tyranny on the animators, we would get better anime than we have now if they were paid properly.

Aug 25, 2015 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Hoppy said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Try again

Both of you have an opinion. Congratulations.

FireEmblemIke24 said:

I agree.
Aug 25, 2015 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Try again

Damn that title was the only possible savior for the fall season. I guess anime is doomed then. Miyazaki was right after all

At what level does the average MAL user attain the abbility to detect sarcasm?
NaturalPermAug 25, 2015 1:01 PM
Aug 25, 2015 12:54 PM
Mar 2011
while most sudios are ethically week hence why i bash studio loved on mal and love studios hate on on this site
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 25, 2015 1:17 PM

Nov 2012
Keep growing anime. And give us more harem and moe.
Aug 25, 2015 1:18 PM
Mar 2011
ichii_1 said:
Hoppy said:

Don't defend the studio's acts of corporate tyranny on the animators, we would get better anime than we have now if they were paid properly.

Barely any series can make a profit on disk sales alone, so raising their pay will cripple the industry even if the anime increases in quality.
Hell who needs to be an animator or anything when you can work at mcdonalds for $15 in hour? XD

most studios are behind on the unionization quouta
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 25, 2015 1:24 PM
Sep 2014
To me, it's pretty clear the internet is going to and will continue to grow the anime industry. I think as companies start to embrace streaming services for this stuff, revenue will continue to rise. The main issue is manga, and how easy it is to pirate manga and how manga is the driver for a huge number of these anime series.
Aug 25, 2015 2:47 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Hoppy said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Try again

you took the bait, gg
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 25, 2015 2:51 PM

Apr 2014
I demand more anime like School Days
Aug 25, 2015 3:29 PM
Jan 2015
In your face, Anno.
Aug 25, 2015 6:23 PM

Aug 2015
Yay! That is really great news.
Aug 25, 2015 7:21 PM

Jul 2015
Support Support Support!
Drop an anime recommendation on my page or inbox.
Aug 25, 2015 7:43 PM

Mar 2013
Which website??
Aug 25, 2015 10:13 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
IMPOSSIBRUU!!! Moe is killing anime!
Aug 26, 2015 1:48 AM

Aug 2008
Does anyone know what anime is popular in China? Any Chinese here?
ZapredonAug 26, 2015 1:57 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.