Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2008 11:25 AM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
lol took long enough :> finally caught up as well.
Feb 18, 2008 11:33 AM

May 2007
This episode was a really good suspense-build up episode by introducing most of the main players in Thriller Bark.

Buuuuut, um, uh, anyone else kind of disappointed with Moria's voice? Sounds like one of those baby wind up dolls, to be honest. I was expecting a much deeper voice, but, oh well. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Feb 18, 2008 11:54 AM

May 2007
I was also disappointed by Moria's voice. I thought it would be way deeper, but now he sounds like a little kid. Oh well I guess I'll get used to it.
The rest of the episode was great. ^^ Finally Absalom and Perona showed themselves :D

Feb 18, 2008 12:46 PM
Nov 2007
Well i guess it fits for Moria to have a childish voice if you look at his attitude. (Ordering people to get him what he wants and so on...) But guess they revealed most of Moria's troops by now. But yeah those zombies stay funny in the anime.. XD
Feb 18, 2008 2:10 PM

Jan 2008
Lots of introductions in this one.
Feb 18, 2008 2:55 PM

Aug 2007
Meh Moria voice was stupid. But I somewhat liked Perona's voice.

Lmao,
Zombies: Leader, Leader, Leader.....who likes to peep!

Zombies: Ero-leader, Erosalom, Erosalom, Erros, Ero, Ero.

Lmao.
Feb 18, 2008 5:06 PM

Oct 2007
Massive buildup.

Feb 20, 2008 1:35 PM

Aug 2007
Even I who haven't read the manga was thinking "hmm, if I'd read the manga I'd be disappointed with that voice, because he looks like he could be badass if you disregard that part."
A bit slow episode, not much happened but yeah they did introduce a whole bunch of characters.
I wonder who will fight who?

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Feb 20, 2008 2:22 PM
Jun 2007
It was an alright episode. there were two things that I thought were weird:

1. Moria's voice. I was expecting a gruff, deep, sinister voice. That certainly wasn't the case.
2. The BGM for Absalom's scene was Symphony no.9. which was something that didn't really fit.

Feb 21, 2008 2:03 AM

Jun 2007
Avarice said:
It was an alright episode. there were two things that I thought were weird:

1. Moria's voice. I was expecting a gruff, deep, sinister voice. That certainly wasn't the case.
2. The BGM for Absalom's scene was Symphony no.9. which was something that didn't really fit.

1 giving hit attitude I think it kinda fits. I was less pleased with Perona's voice really.

2. I kidna liked that part. The music tried to make it sound epic and impressive. Kinda like absalom intended, Too bad the zombies had other ideas. lol
Feb 24, 2008 10:01 AM

May 2007
It was a pretty good ep. I agree with avarice, the bgm for absalom didn't fit very well. Lol Erosalom.
Apr 25, 2008 12:28 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good episode. Looks like they finally introduced all the bad guys.
Darkreaper70 said:

Lmao.

Loved that part xD
Feb 6, 2010 2:40 PM

May 2008
The funniest bunch of zombies i ever seen haha

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Mar 12, 2010 7:08 PM

Oct 2008
Darkreaper70 said:

Lmao.

Haha loved that bit. x]
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 14, 2010 10:56 AM

Feb 2009
Looks promising, but going kinda slow.
Jun 8, 2010 2:13 PM

Jul 2009
Darkreaper70 said:
Meh Moria voice was stupid. But I somewhat liked Perona's voice.

Lmao,

Lmao.

HAHAHAHAHA

funny ep. new characters too

4/5
Aug 20, 2010 11:42 AM
Jul 2010
I was wishing for a better seiyuu for both Absalom and Gecko Moria, but finally, it's time to show some Moria abilities and kick his butt.

Wooooow, the biggest pirate ship in the world O.O.

Lots of other new characters as well, it's getting more and more exciting with every episode, I'd like to see Brook now as well.
Mar 27, 2011 3:28 AM

Jul 2007
Damn Moria looks evil. Can't wait to see what his plans are. Another arc with a shinshubukai, things are definitely going to get serous.

May 5, 2011 1:20 AM

May 2010
I got really excited after hearing Thriller Bark is actually a ship.. and the largest pirate ship in fact! :-D Also all or most of the enemies have ben shown.. another Shichibukai for a beating which makes this arc totally great.. Absalom on the other-hand reminds me of Lucci for some reason haha
May 6, 2011 5:39 PM

Jun 2009
I enjoyed the episode and these are indeed some of the funniest Zombies I've seen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 30, 2011 2:18 PM

Jul 2010
Lol, Luffy is the new Zombie King ^^

OMG a Shichibukai appeared! Well not really but almost.... Seems like it will be reaaaaally interesting from now on!

LOL; such a pain... *sigh* Those unmotivated zombies :P
Aug 14, 2011 5:40 PM

Jul 2010
Omg lol at the lowly zombies getting beaten up ^^

LOL; *thing appears*
Luffy; An old man with a big wound!
crew; can't you see it's a zombie??!
guy; no, I'm actually an old man with a big wound...
crew; too confusing! let's just stick with zombie!

So funny OTL
Oct 28, 2012 12:47 PM

Mar 2010
Moria doesn't seem that ba.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 5, 2013 1:23 PM

Apr 2012
oooooh we get to see all the big players now at thriller bark.
i wonder what kind of powers gecko moria has.
hopefully some good fights are gonna come sooon
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2014 7:54 PM

Feb 2014
Another Shichibukai... Wow things are really getting interesting, new characters, everything is so mysterious. Great episode!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
May 16, 2014 5:16 AM

Jan 2014
Skimmed through this in the manga, now properly watching it. Really funny episode. Great animation and the colors make it really something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2014 4:17 PM

Oct 2013
I wonder what kind of guy that Gecko Moria is.

Sep 13, 2014 9:28 PM

Jan 2014
Ouka Shichibukai, Gecko Moria.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 8, 2015 9:42 PM

Jun 2015
A fight with warlord eh? That'll be interesting.
Feb 10, 2016 8:17 PM

Aug 2013
Man the laughs really didn't translate well into English.
May 18, 2016 11:53 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I really like this ambiantation. I really really do best one *-*

Jul 23, 2016 3:28 AM

Mar 2015
I like the horror house vibes of this arc for sure
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 5, 2017 7:44 PM

May 2014
Gaahh, Perona's design really is adorable!! She looks a lot different to the other OP girls.

And just when I thought the Thousand Sunny was completely awesome, here we have Thriller Bark which is literally a ship carrying a freakin' Island on it.
It's basically what Iceberg wanted Water 7 to be!

So we got introduced to the main players this episode, and Moria seems to be the main antagonist since he's the one stealing everyone's shadows.

Honestly, are any of the Seven Warlords decent?!
Nov 21, 2018 8:19 AM

Jun 2016
Interesting! So far, this arc had been a fun but simple story. I had predicted most of the story beats before they were revealed as it was foreshadowed quite well. This episode threw a wrench in that.

We're introduced Gecko Moria, the third warlord the Straw Hats will have a face to face meeting with. The first being Mihawk who Zoro was far ill-prepared for creating one of the most memorable episodes and one of the most impactful character moments in the series. Then they met my personal favorite villain Crocodile and beat his butt, after two losses that is. And, we have seen two others but the Straw Hats themselves have not met them yet. I wasn't expecting such a major presence to appear in this otherwise zany, spontaneous and comedic arc but the second it was revealed my jaw dropped. Things just got so much more interesting. On top of that it revealed the pink haired girl and her deep voiced bear and the night raid. I do have to wonder why the night raid was held off on until now, it seems it could have started any time before this, but it may be ritual to start it at a specific time like Hogback seemed to imply.

I love how Zoro immediately got all serious when the severely injured old man told them Moria invited them here. Best guard dog in the world. Those moments when he starts treating things as genuine threats always get me turnt.

So, I had thought all the zombies were Hogback's creations, but it seems instead there are also legitimate severely injured old men who like Brook had their shadows stolen, but not by Hogback like many of us thought, instead by Moria. I have to assume Moria has a shadow themed devil fruit power and he probably eats the pirates shadows that get caught by Thriller Bark. Maybe this even makes him stronger. This made things less clear. Hogback very well probably isn't the head of the island, instead it's potentially Moria. That said, it isn't like Moria is the one doing anything, he's just sleeping for days at a time and being woken up to eat sacrifices brought to him. Hogback had authority over Absalom so he's still up there as maybe the second in charge. I just cannot fathom him being in charge of a Warlord but I suppose that isn't totally off the table, for now I'll assume he's second in charge. This leads to the question why did Brook then threaten Hogback? I assume it was because he knew he was involved with Moria and was threatening him to reveal Moria's location or something like that.

Luffy scaring the zombies who scared the coward group was pretty hysterical. He was having fun intimidating them hahaha. I wonder if they'll be so scared of Luffy's group they'll change sides.

It seems the major fights will be Absalom, pink haired girl and bear, zombie samurai with brooks laugh, Moria, and perhaps Hogback himself. The ghosts seem to be more like support for the main power houses. Absalom and pink haired girl seemed to have armies of zombies under them to order so I assume this would imply Hogback is in charge of her as well and also the zombie samurai because his authority here seems even less so. I wouldn't be surprised if Hogback was honest about trying to bring people back but their connection to Moria is now interesting. I wonder what they get out of working together. I had initially thought he wanted Brook's shadow to research but if they take all of their victims shadows that seems to not be the case.

I also think Absalom may be one of Hogbacks creations. I didn't notice a number on him but he was half man half lion with a lion mouth stitched onto him making him appear like any other of the branded Hogbackian creations. This would make sense for why he is his superior.

This episode really opened up this arc in a fascinating way!
Jun 21, 2020 4:38 AM

May 2016
It's nice to find out that Hogback isn't the main antagonist of this arc despite being quite troublesome. It turns out that he's just a member of the powerful Gecko Pirates. It's surprising that Thriller Bark's actually a gigantic ship but I certainly did not expect the dastardly shadow stealer to be one of Seven Warlords of the Sea.

Perona looks really cute but they'll all have to get their asses kicked soon.

What in the world's happened to Brook, hm.

May 23, 2021 4:44 AM

Jun 2019
The night raid has begun...
Dec 31, 2021 8:21 AM

Feb 2014
Thriller Bark is actually a huge ship.
PunkeroMay 29, 2022 5:13 PM
Aug 14, 2022 2:37 PM

Apr 2018
Hmm... an alright episode. Hopefully, it won't be like Long Ring Long Island arc
Oct 31, 2022 7:06 PM
Feb 2022
Presentados los villanos, la cosa empieza a ponerse seria.
Nov 2, 2022 6:02 PM
Dec 2020
haunted mansion gonna be hype
May 21, 2023 1:31 PM

Jun 2017
That "heavily-injured man" scene cracked me up! haha! I also thought he was a zombie too!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
May 23, 2023 9:28 PM
Oct 2019
Oh wow another One of the Seven Warlords? 😱
Jun 26, 2023 5:57 AM
Apr 2020
this arch is i think the first boring arch
Jul 1, 2023 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
Quite a shock to learn that Gecko Moria is one of the seven warlords, since they’re headed to the land of fish men I assumed they’d meet the fish man warlord. They may still meet him but it’s still a shock nonetheless.

I don’t think the Straw Hats bounty will go up if they defeat Gecko Moria because it’d prove quite difficult even for the Navy to verify who took him down.
removed-userJul 2, 2023 4:59 AM
Jul 27, 2023 4:14 PM

Oct 2019
Okay I didn't expect that we'd meet one of the Seven Warlords of the Sea here. That's kinda exciting.

Aug 7, 2023 12:47 PM

Mar 2017
Some great comedy and an introduction to several important characters. A good episode for sure.
Sep 6, 2023 4:11 PM

May 2021
Really like the new pink waifu. Very interesting arc so far!!!
Oct 14, 2023 4:43 PM
Mar 2023
Such a fun reveal that the entire island is the pirate ship! I did not expect that lol. I assume all the fun new villains are Moira's pirate crew.
Apr 15, 9:54 PM

Dec 2022
sakuga shadows, gorgeous
Ode To Joy to introduce Absolom proper, gorgeous
and that whole ending sequence with the music and the sakuga fence opening, gorgeous
man they smashed this arc outta the park, must have been a huge ass budget increase at this time

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
51 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 410 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 18, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 409 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 11, 2009

71 by gannoncannon55 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.